PDA

View Full Version : Why a DP striker would be good for TFC NOW

Yohan
06-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I used to be against a DP striker at the beginning of the season, but I think the situation has changed so that a DP at this point of the season is worth the risk.

TFC clearly needs a striker who can finish. I'm not sure if Gerba (if he signs for us, is going to be the solution)

Key to success for a DP in MLS is that the team has to have other solid core of players who can contribute and do NOT rely on the DP to carry the team.
The DP would be a final piece to the puzzle to push the team over the top.

Let's look at some of the teams with DP (or practically DP like players)

Seattle has Ljungberg, but does not overly rely on Ljungberg. There are other contributors like Montero, Jaqua, Alonso, Le Toux, plus other depth players who can play in MLS, so that if Ljungberg does go down to an injury, the Sounders will still be more or less a competitive team.

New England, despite being ravaged by injuries and without their star striker Twellman still managed to grind out results to be competitive in Eastern Conference, because they have a solid core of players.

On the flipside, we have Shite Bulls who are playing absolutely shite this season. This I believe primarily due to overreliance on Juan Paulo Angel who carried the Shite Bulls for two season. 19 goals in 2007 and 14 in 2008. Only 4 so far this season. Kandji is a good player, but he's not scoring that much either.
Lacking depth, and plus the rest of the team is quite shite, no wonder the Shite Bulls are playing like crap this year.

FC Dallas is another team in big trouble. Without Kenny Cooper, nobody on Dallas can be truly considered an offensive threat. No sane coach would rely on Jeff Cunningham to score goals consistently. Take away Cooper, and Cooper didn't score in a lot of games for Dallas this season, add in a shite defence, no wonder Dallas sucks too.

I believe Toronto has a decen central core, esp a midfield that can create chances. It's just that strikers can't put them away on regular basis. So if we find a DP striker who can score off the chances our creative midfielder can make, we'd be in a really good shape.

The DP striker must be able to adapt to TFC and MLS rather quickly though. We can't afford an entire half season for the DP to adjust before he starts scoring goals.

The cap hit for a mid season DP is only 200k. That sounds helluva a lot better than 400k at the beginning of the season. I think TFC is probably at max cap right now, but surely it is possible to create some cap room for only 200k?

While I normally prefer the no DP approach to building a team like Houston or Chivas or New England, (curiously, one of criticism of Houston is that they have no consistent scoring threat other than Brian Ching. can't win 1-0 game forever) I think at this point of the season, there is no harm in trying for a DP striker.

I don't know who is available on free agent market, but surely someone wants to take a stab at MLS...

Detroit_TFC
06-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I've felt that the whole DP thing has been more of a bust (LA, NJRB, Dallas, KC, etc) than a benefit (Chicago, maybe Seattle) for the teams that have used them, but you make some good points on why it might work for us.

Interesting to note that two DP slots are now being used to retain previously non-DP players (Schelotto, Emilio) rather than bring in hotshot internationals from outside MLS. Definitely not the purpose the DP was made for, but maybe a better strategic use of it, especially for Columbus.

Yohan
06-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I've felt that the whole DP thing has been more of a bust (LA, NJRB, Dallas, KC, etc) than a benefit (Chicago, maybe Seattle) for the teams that have used them, but you make some good points on why it might work for us.
That's because those teams relied on DP to be the main (and often only) offensive threat on their team.

Curious enough, DC and Chicago felt that they relied too much on Emilio and Blanco last seson, and took steps to diversify their team.

bee dubya
06-14-2009, 10:19 AM
It's interesting that people seem to think Angel is a failure. NYRB are a crap team that have only gotten worse since he's been here. Angel is a beast in the air and knows how to finish - with some decent service, he would easily be the league's top scorer. I'd take him in a heartbeat to play for TFC.

Yohan
06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
It's interesting that people seem to think Angel is a failure. NYRB are a crap team that have only gotten worse since he's been here. Angel is a beast in the air and knows how to finish - with some decent service, he would easily be the league's top scorer. I'd take him in a heartbeat to play for TFC.
clearly you're not understing what my criteria for a successful DP is

I'd take JPA in a heartbeat too. however, individual numbers don't count as much when it doesn't translate into wins for your team

I'm going to have a such a laugh if JPA goes down to an injury for a long time, and watch the Shite Bulls wade in shite

ExiledRed
06-14-2009, 10:56 AM
So NY aren't doing well and they have a DP.

Except the fact that they've done very well in the prior two seasons with that same DP.

They had no business making the final last year, yet they did, anybody care to fill me in on how Angel was detrimental to this achievement?

Stating that Angel is 'a bust' on New York is just plain wrong.

Yohan
06-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Except the fact that they've done very well in the prior two seasons with that same DP.

They had no business making the final last year, yet they did, anybody care to fill me in on how Angel was detrimental to this achievement?

I'll say this again.

IMO it's a bust if you rely too much on your DP for your success, as it is the case of NY right now.

It's called putting all of your eggs in one basket.

Guarantee me a player who'll score 15 goals every year and he'll be healthy all season long and I'll sign him as a DP too

Pachuco
06-14-2009, 11:21 AM
I'll say this again.

IMO it's a bust if you rely too much on your DP for your success, as it is the case of NY right now.

It's called putting all of your eggs in one basket.

Guarantee me a player who'll score 15 goals every year and he'll be healthy all season long and I'll sign him as a DP too

So Angel is a bust because NY rely on him too much? wouldn't that mean that the rest of the team is a bust and not him?

Angel is i no way a bust no matter which way you spin it. NYR are having a shit year, you can't seriously blame that on him though.

Let me give you an example of a REAL DP bust. Denilson.

rocker
06-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree with Yohan. If the assumption is signing a DP is going to solve your problems, then clearly Angel is a bust. Cuz he ain't solving their problems. Actually, if you look at it, the one consistency has been having Angel ---- but the team has been from average to the worst in the league. If a team with a great DP can be from average to worst over three seasons, it makes sense that the role of the DP is much more limited than people believe. A DP is no saviour.

It's about having a solid team around the guy, at the very least, like Shitcago. Or just don't depend on a DP at all, as Houston and Chivas have shown. But a DP isn't really going to solve the problems of a badly constructed team.

werewolf
06-14-2009, 11:33 AM
A DP striker would be good if now, because for that amount of money, he would be able to:

A) Convert a penalty
B) Finish 1v1 against the goalkeeper

Instead of relying on someone to be johnny-on-the-spot with the rebound.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Ive never been opposed to a DP however im not in the belief we have DPs available to us that can contribute. Id be more pissed if we signed one just for the sake of signing one rather signing a player or several players that would make a difference

InTheCrowd
06-14-2009, 11:37 AM
We can get proper finishers without needing to spend money on a DP. Gerba for example is coming. Let's wait to see how he does before talking about a DP.

There are so many unseen players who are wonderful finishers, I see no reason to spend big money on a player when we can get the same product for less.

Super
06-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I find it funny that anyone could see an investment on a DP player as a gamble when we're already paying $300k for Vitti who has scored ZERO so far this season - and is only $100k away from DP status. So that 100k extra is too much of a gamble and anything short of 15 goals from such a player would be a huge bust?

I'd take Angel in a heart beat. He'd score 20 for us with the midfield we rock right now.

Whoop
06-14-2009, 01:03 PM

NYRB misses Dave van der Bergh.

loconet
06-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey, so can we get Torres as a DP (ha!)? Are you guys seeing what he's doing to NZ right now? lmao.

Super
06-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Nuts! 4-0 now with Fabregas. 3 by Torres.