PDA

View Full Version : Garcia

Pachuco
06-14-2009, 02:40 AM
Alright, so what's your verdict on Garcia? I know it's only first game in, but it would be interesting to hear what people think.

Personally, he's a bit slow and gets beat 1 on 1. He does seem to be well organized though and his positioning was ok. Overall he's an alright udefender, certainly not great from what I saw.

Nana and Serioux are better in my opinion, so, that means we've potentially added an expensive defender who isn't better then what we have.

If I go by today only, I start Nana over him. Which means when Brennan and Wynne are back that this guy could be on the bench? I'm sure he'll get lots of playing time. I was just really hoping that if we brought in a defender at 200K that he would make the defense noticably better.

Super
06-14-2009, 02:47 AM
I thought he did alright. He made a couple of mistakes, but other than that he appears to have a very high football-IQ and understands the game very well. I think we need a General at the back more than we need someone who is super fast or technically gifted - and he just might be the guy.

Cal
06-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Garcia was San Jose's highest paid defender.

profit89
06-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Slow but good football sense.

FluSH
06-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Alright, so what's your verdict on Garcia? I know it's only first game in, but it would be interesting to hear what people think.

Personally, he's a bit slow and gets beat 1 on 1. He does seem to be well organized though and his positioning was ok. Overall he's an alright udefender, certainly not great from what I saw.

Nana and Serioux are better in my opinion, so, that means we've potentially added an expensive defender who isn't better then what we have.

If I go by today only, I start Nana over him. Which means when Brennan and Wynne are back that this guy could be on the bench? I'm sure he'll get lots of playing time. I was just really hoping that if we brought in a defender at 200K that he would make the defense noticably better.

He had that great tackle in the 2nd half right after the Serioux snafu that could have lead to a goal... If he hadn't tackle that guy it could have very well been a diffeernt ball game...

Overall I liked him... yes he is slower but he showed confidence.

Broadview
06-14-2009, 07:53 AM
I thought he played pretty good. He better watch out though, if Andrea Lombardo manages to track him down he might take his old hairdo back.

KRO
06-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Garcia's positional sense was excellent. He's a 'stay at home' defender and heads a ball very well despite being smaller than your usual CB. I can see him and Nana making a solid defensive pair.

Serioux can move forward into midfield for me. As much as I like him he seems to have got into the habit of making a big mistake every game and last night he didn't get away with it.

denime
06-14-2009, 08:28 AM
He is reading the game very good,he might be slow but his positioning and experience giving him the edge over other younger players.
I think good signing overall.

druid
06-14-2009, 08:30 AM
His tackle to cover for Serioux was excellent.

I also noticed a defender coming right at him at pace earlier in the game. He held his line and stripped the ball without fouling, it wasn't stunning but certainly composed.

I'm sick so I watched the game from home for a change. Craig Forrest claimed that Serioux and Nana are both quiet defenders and Garcia has a reputation as a communicator/organizer.

Hopefully Garcia will kick the run of bad form and Serioux and him can work out the chemistry. It might also let us use Nana and Garcia at CB and move Serioux into midfield for Robinson.

FluSH
06-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Garcia's positional sense was excellent. He's a 'stay at home' defender and heads a ball very well despite being smaller than your usual CB. I can see him and Nana making a solid defensive pair.

Serioux can move forward into midfield for me. As much as I like him he seems to have got into the habit of making a big mistake every game and last night he didn't get away with it.

I think this is exactly the reason why it doesn't matter if he is slower than Nana...

Yohan
06-14-2009, 08:44 AM
I thought Garcia was just as advertised.
Showed lots of footy IQ, positioned himself well and communicated well. Composed when making tackles.

He is not as fast, but remember that Kandji is above average in terms of pace for MLS player, almost at Wynne level of speed.

Also keep in mind that this was Garcia's first game. There were times because Garcia and his new teammates didn't know each other, little mistakes were made (esp one where both Serioux and Garcia didn't take charge of a header that went between them) but as they get more games, they will jell better.

I'm comfortable with Serioux - Garcia - Attakora in the back for Mtl game

VPjr
06-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Garcia looked ok. His positioning was good most of the time and clearly he's a physical player.

I caution against being overly excited about this guy based on a couple of games vs. perhaps the worst team in MLS (my lord is NYRB Shit).

The real test will be when they play teams with better pace and more dynamic central players than what NY threw at TFC last night.

From what I've seen of Garcia when he was with SJ the past 1.5 years, I saw a guy who has no ability to deal with quick players who like to dart between defenders. That's when he earns the bulk of his fouls and yellows.

However, a backline that includes Serioux, Garcia and Nana (as Yohan states above) is definitely an improvement over the alternative of having Velez or Harmse back there.

by the way, was it me or did Juan Pablo Angel look bored/disinterested out there last night?

ensco
06-14-2009, 09:50 AM
by the way, was it me or did Juan Pablo Angel look bored/disinterested out there last night?

I saw that. To me, he seriously and perpetually pissed off at his teammates. He got no service at all.

jabbronies
06-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Garcia looked ok. His positioning was good most of the time and clearly he's a physical player.

I caution against being overly excited about this guy based on a couple of games vs. perhaps the worst team in MLS (my lord is NYRB Shit).

The real test will be when they play teams with better pace and more dynamic central players than what NY threw at TFC last night.

Agreed. Ny is fucking horrible. This wasn't a good test of his playing ability, however, without trying to downplay last nights performance, his positional play last night as well as his physical game seemed to be good.

He either getting old and his age is catching up with him or he just didn't give two shits about playing on this extremly crappy team. Fuck they sucked!!!

Mr. Bigby
06-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Let me see know, Harmse/Velez or Garcia......Hmmmmm, who to choose...., wait - give me a second, I'm sure the answer will come to me...

Fushida
06-14-2009, 10:03 AM
a bit slow indeed. without wynne we'd probably have one of the slowest back lines in the league. from my vantage point kandji and rojas were running circles around garcia and serioux at times... kandji especially was just physically too much. i'm glad we only conceded 1 but to be honest they were bossing us on the wings.

Pachuco
06-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Let me see know, Harmse/Velez or Garcia......Hmmmmm, who to choose...., wait - give me a second, I'm sure the answer will come to me...

There's no doubt I would have him in there over Velez or Harmse. But remember, when everyone is healthy, the back line would have been Brennan, Wynne, Serioux and Attakora (pre-Garcia). All I'm trying to say is that I would still prefer that lineup over taking one of those four out and inserting Garcia.

He'll get alot of playing time anyways because we have Wynne out for a while and we always seem to get injured back there. But I don't think he's good enough to start when all our defenders can play and he makes 200K.

I saw the game at home when I got back from a wedding. From my point of view, Serioux and Nana were by far the better defenders. Garcia got beat multiple times 1 on 1. There was one where Kandji ran right at him and Garcia was running away from him. If Kandji could finish it would've been a tie game and everyone would've noticed the poor defending. Serioux noticed, he yelled at him :)

Anyhow, I'm a little pessimistic about this guy after watching him play. Hopefully he's better then he showed.

tfc2007
06-14-2009, 10:31 AM
He is finally a leader on the back line. We have needed this for a while.

Stugatzo
06-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Slower maybe but consider...

brennan serioux garcia wynne

That's a pretty sick backline!

VPjr
06-14-2009, 10:43 AM
^ I'm not crazy about either Wynne or Brennan anymore, especially Brennan.

Something was happened to Jim but he's definitely lost something. He's a definite liability defensively and he doesn't make attacking runs anymore. At the beginning of the season, no one would have considered that LB might be a weak spot but it looks more and more like it is.

TFC~Vatreni
06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
^ I'm not crazy about either Wynne or Brennan anymore, especially Brennan.

Something was happened to Jim but he's definitely lost something. He's a definite liability defensively and he doesn't make attacking runs anymore. At the beginning of the season, no one would have considered that LB might be a weak spot but it looks more and more like it is.

You know how it is, people are blinded by the fact that he's "Jim Brennan" and ignore how he plays on the field.... sigh. I totally agree he's a liability.

elvis
06-14-2009, 11:39 AM
I thought it was great to see him barking orders not only to to back line but to Frei as well. His best years might be behind him but this first game tells me we might finally have the leader in the back we were missing for so long (forever).

Ageroo
06-14-2009, 11:45 AM
I thought it was great to see him barking orders not only to to back line but to Frei as well. His best years might be behind him but this first game tells me we might finally have the leader in the back we were missing for so long (forever).

For sure....after Frei flubbed that one kick in the second half horrible...and had a stint where his distribution was a bit off...It was Garcia that stepped back to Frei and told him to relax and calm down. That is the type of football IQ the back line needs.

Lucky Strike
06-14-2009, 11:46 AM
He had a fairly good match, though does anyone else think Garcia is a bit on the tubby side? I foresee more pie jokes in the future. Seriously though, glad to have him.

FluSH
06-14-2009, 11:47 AM

This is something that Marshall used to do... at least more so than anyother defender we've had...

Ageroo
06-14-2009, 11:50 AM
He had a fairly good match, though does anyone else think Garcia is a bit on the tubby side? I foresee more pie jokes in the future. Seriously though, glad to have him.

From my vantage point in 115, I did not think that really. He was pretty solid though and bossed some guys around physically. If he is a bit out of shape I am sure Winsper will fix him up real quick! :D

felipe
06-14-2009, 11:54 AM
I'll just go ahead and disagree with everyone.

Garcia was our best defender yesterday, by far. Nana played well too. Harmse was a relevation.

I'll never understand the constant love-in for Serioux; his positioning at DC is horrible. Those gaping holes are caused by him running around or making the wrong decision.

I love his heart and passion and his tough tackling - but he needs work on his footy IQ. I'd keep him in the mid as a shield for the D. His running around will cost us less there.

I share the concerns with Wynne and Brennan this year - while not horrible, or a weakness, they are certainly not playing like they have in the past.

FluSH
06-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I'll just go ahead and disagree with everyone.

Garcia was our best defender yesterday, by far. Nana played well too. Harmse was a relevation.

I'll never understand the constant love-in for Serioux; his positioning at DC is horrible. Those gaping holes are caused by him running around or making the wrong decision.

I love his heart and passion and his tough tackling - but he needs work on his footy IQ. I'd keep him in the mid as a shield for the D. His running around will cost us less there.

I share the concerns with Wynne and Brennan this year - while not horrible, or a weakness, they are certainly not playing like they have in the past.

In regards to Serioux,

His constant pain and harmstring is starting to get me worried... It's pretty much every game now... this could be a liability when we need him the most...

jloome
06-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Slow by reputation, not observation. Not one defender managed to actually "blow by" Garcia yesterday; twice, Kanji got a step on him wide, but who gives a shit if he gets a step wide? I'll take the crap shooting angle or a cross when we have five guys in the box already anyday.

Lots of people "observing" his speed here after one game in which he didn't leave the back third. Nonsense. May end out being true, but you couldn't make that observation off of just yesterday's game.

Yohan
06-14-2009, 12:15 PM
In regards to Serioux,

His constant pain and harmstring is starting to get me worried... It's pretty much every game now... this could be a liability when we need him the most...
He needs a rest big time.

I love the Predator but he can't work himself into the ground like this

gotta love his heart though. that last ditch header where he went full in against Wolyniec in last moments of the game shows his character

Lucky Strike
06-14-2009, 12:20 PM
From my vantage point in 115, I did not think that really. He was pretty solid though and bossed some guys around physically. If he is a bit out of shape I am sure Winsper will fix him up real quick! :D

Lol, no doubt. It's just I was watching the game on TV and at one point the camera had a close up on Garcia right when he took the bottom of his shirt up to wipe his face. A rather largish gut (at least for an athlete) was revealed. That's what I was basing myself on. But nevertheless, I was quite lively and I'm glad to have him.

Stryker
06-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Thought he did well considering Serioux hung him out to dry a few times.

TFC RealDeal RPB
06-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I thought Garcia was just as advertised.
Showed lots of footy IQ, positioned himself well and communicated well. Composed when making tackles.

He is not as fast, but remember that Kandji is above average in terms of pace for MLS player, almost at Wynne level of speed.

Also keep in mind that this was Garcia's first game. There were times because Garcia and his new teammates didn't know each other, little mistakes were made (esp one where both Serioux and Garcia didn't take charge of a header that went between them) but as they get more games, they will jell better.

+ 1 I like him, what do people want from this guy ?

anto7
06-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I think if you play this game and really understand soccer you know how important it is to have leaders out on the pitch. The likes of Robbo and Danny had that dimension that often gets overlooked. Now we appear to have added those qualities to our back line and that is really going to help in a big way. Within the first 10 minutes I was impressed of what I saw of Garcia , very composed considering this was his first start and had trained with his new team once or perhaps twice at the most.
Although a few people have pointed out that we were only playing the Shite Bulls let's not forget that in Angel and Kandji they have 2 of the better strikers in the league. Overall based on 1 game I think he is a very good, much needed aquisition.

Waggy
06-14-2009, 01:43 PM
To me, its pretty clear that even though they're generally playing, both Serioux and Jimmy aren't near 100%. In fact, my hunch is if they felt we had depth they'd have sat out a few more matches. But we don't so they're in there. Serioux's hammy clearly isnt 100%, and to be honest I think Jimmy might have a similar nagging problem. They're gutting it out though. But to be honest, as much as I appreciate the effort, I think Jim can do the club better by sitting out a few more to get fully healthy. Serioux we need out there though, even at 70-80%. Like Yohan said, you could see him leaving everything on the field on that last diving header. I'll take that kind of commitment any day.

On Garcia, I thought he looked really good. Definitely needs to get familiar with his new teammates, but thats not surprising. Overall though I felt he was solid back there.

And to be honest, if at the end of the first half I had a MOM vote, it'd have gone to Harmse. When hes in the midfield you can really see his strengths. Like Cummins said, he ain't a defender.

trane
06-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I think that he showed great footy Iq, broke up alot of plays, and I hope our regular back line will be; Wynne- Garcia-Serioux-Nana, this is my opinion and from what I have seen would be a very effective back line in this league. We do not have enough tallent to play three at the back constantly, as it showed, in the second half of yesterdays game , but the three who started seem to be our best three defendes. Wynne is still the best athlete and works hard, and should start, however, his football IQ is behind the over three. However, playing four at the back it is good to have at least one fullback that can be effetive going forward and that is Wynne.

BayernTFC
06-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Slow by reputation, not observation. Not one defender managed to actually "blow by" Garcia yesterday; twice, Kanji got a step on him wide, but who gives a shit if he gets a step wide? I'll take the crap shooting angle or a cross when we have five guys in the box already anyday.

Lots of people "observing" his speed here after one game in which he didn't leave the back third. Nonsense. May end out being true, but you couldn't make that observation off of just yesterday's game.
I thought Garcia covered Kandji well too. Forcing Kandji wide so that he blasts the ball in the stands is a positive play imho. Garcia was outpaced by Angel in that one-on-one confrontation in the first half. I thought that Garcia was all over the ball yesterday, made many good clearances, had an excellent tackle and he even won a header in the air against Kandji. He played a solid, conservative defensive game and he showed good awareness and football sense (leaving Attakora's backpass to Frei early in the game was a great decision). I only noticed one mistake when he released Celades too early to go after the player with the ball. Luckily it didn't cost us. I don't think it hurt that Garcia got to cut his teeth with the squad against NYRB, but he played quite well considering he only practised with the team for two days before playing.

jloome
06-14-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought Garcia covered Kandji well too. Forcing Kandji wide so that he blasts the ball in the stands is a positive play imho. Garcia was outpaced by Angel in that one-on-one confrontation in the first half. I thought that Garcia was all over the ball yesterday, made many good clearances, had an excellent tackle and he even won a header in the air against Kandji. He played a solid, conservative defensive game and he showed good awareness and football sense (leaving Attakora's backpass to Frei early in the game was a great decision). I only noticed one mistake when he released Celades too early to go after the player with the ball. Luckily it didn't cost us. I don't think it hurt that Garcia got to cut his teeth with the squad against NYRB, but he played quite well considering he only practised with the team for two days before playing.

There was one point in the second half where he whiffed on a clearance at the top of the box, but it didn't cost us anything. His positioning was really good -- I counted five headed clearances from the box -- and he marshalled nana a couple of times, which is good.

Pookie
06-15-2009, 09:34 AM
I liked what I saw.

When it comes to defense, I'd be more concerned with Serioux getting beat wide many times in that game. He either can't deal with speed or is nursing something.

Jack
06-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Garcia looked good. Better at reading balls in the air than Marshall and I like what he brings to the table. He's not the quickest on his feet, but he does have a quick brain, which is more important (at least from what I've seen in one game :D).

Serioux needs a break. He's beat up to hell.

Shaughno
06-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Garcia looked good. Better at reading balls in the air than Marshall and I like what he brings to the table. He's not the quickest on his feet, but he does have a quick brain, which is more important (at least from what I've seen in one game :D).

Serioux needs a break. He's beat up to hell.

And every play he was on his back line, talking, yelling, putting people in positions. THIS is what we've been lacking since day 1. A competent, vocal, central defender.

Boris
06-15-2009, 09:47 AM
And every play he was on his back line, talking, yelling, putting people in positions. THIS is what we've been lacking since day 1. A competent, vocal, central defender.

yup. first time ive seen proper communicatio in the backline...well from what i saw of the game

Shaughno
06-15-2009, 09:49 AM
You were watching the game?!?!?! SLACKER!

FIRE BORIS! :D

Jack
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes, though he and Serioux will need to develop some communication as a few plays were a bit awkward. This is obviously to be expected after only 3 days together.

Daveisonfire
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
I liked what he brought to the team. A few mistakes but we can put that down to chemistry and maybe not understanding the field turf as well as others.

Aside from a couple vital tackles and good communication, what I really liked was his passing ability...his balls forward were sharp and with purpose instead of panicked clearences from what I saw

Boris
06-15-2009, 09:54 AM
You were watching the game?!?!?! SLACKER!

FIRE BORIS! :D

:flare:
damn you!
man - the view of the bounce i had was insane...i think it was obvious i was in shock.

but yeah....

Pachuco
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
I thought I would bring up this thread again to see if anyone's opinion has changed. From my perspective he confirmed my suspicions in the first half, a terrible performance from him. Second half he was better though so I'll give him that.

Still, not sure this guy is going to be a very good addition to the club.

Yohan
06-19-2009, 10:26 AM
I thought I would bring up this thread again to see if anyone's opinion has changed. From my perspective he confirmed my suspicions in the first half, a terrible performance from him. Second half he was better though so I'll give him that.

you mean good players don't make mistakes?

let's give him few more games before throwing a phonebook at him

yellowfellow
06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
This guy was a rock last night! Okay, he conceded the PK. Aside from that, he was solid. I thought he was one of the reasons why we could play 3 defenders and push more people up.

ExiledRed
06-19-2009, 10:28 AM

I think that talk of making him captain was well premature.

He looked a liability in the first half and nearly got sent off with his unnecessary abuse of the ref.

not a bad defender, but he needs to calm the fuck down.

Nuvinho
06-19-2009, 10:29 AM
He slipped a little on the play that caused the PK.

KRO
06-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't know whether last night's game can be used to judge him although the penalty giveaway was a bit rash. There were times in the second half where we were playing two at the back! I'm looking forward to seeing him in a back four with fullbacks and a fit Serioux or Nana next to him.

Jack
06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
My assessment is, he is not good in a three-man backline. (or a two-man backline like last night!)

He is good with other, quicker and more physical guys playing with him where he can use his anticipation and positioning to make plays and help direct the defense vocally. When he gets guys running at him all night, he gets into trouble because he's not that quick and he's smaller.

Shaughno
06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
I only saw the second half, so I can only comment on that but he looked fairly solid. Made some supremely nice tackles and definitely is NOT afraid to get stuck in. I like what I've seen so far.

pekduck
06-19-2009, 10:33 AM
well, it was either a PK or a goal, with lack of defending after the corner, the other team has an open shot frigging 5 yards out....

however after that, he has good positioning to stop all of the impact offense, except one that he got burned by lack of speed...

still pretty solid... come on guys.. Garcia vs Harmse.... I'll pick him any time...

Shaughno
06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
well, it was either a PK or a goal, with lack of defending after the corner, the other team has an open shot frigging 5 yards out....

however after that, he has good positioning to stop all of the impact offense, except one that he got burned by lack of speed...

still pretty solid... come on guys.. Garcia vs Harmse.... I'll pick him any time...

Exactly. I do agree he needs a faster defender beside him somewhere though.

yellowfellow
06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
On a side note, he was very excited about the victory last night. He came over to the supporters and was one of the happier players. The same cannot be said about Vitti.

VPjr
06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
He's slow, his tackling is mediocre and he is a below average passer of the ball. Those are facts that league scouts say about him.

He's tough, he's got good endurance and he's experienced, which means he should be a decent reader of the game.

With Serioux by his side and Cronin and Robinson in front of him, he'll be fine. Harmse never was and never will be a central defender so Garcia is an improvement.

However, he will be exposed when TFC faces fast forwards.

When all is said and done, i would have prefered Tyrone Marshall and Adrian Serioux as the starting CBs for TFC. I doubt Tyrone was making as much money as Garcia.

pekduck
06-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Tyrone Marshall will be good, but it won't happen...

VPjr
06-19-2009, 10:41 AM
On a side note, he was very excited about the victory last night. He came over to the supporters and was one of the happier players. The same cannot be said about Vitti.

I predict the next player leaving TFC will be Vitti, which is disappointing to me. I think he has been badly misused BUT he needs to do something with the opportunities he has been given and he didn't.

I'm told by a reliable contact that Cummins has already asked Mo to terminate the loan deal.

__wowza
06-19-2009, 10:47 AM
yeah he's slow, but he's not hotdogging it.
his technical prowess more than makes up for his lack of speed. he plays smart (which is more than you can say for a lot of people on the team) and looks like he's actually trying out there. he also needs to mesh with the team a bit more, take a solid leadership role and from that, i really think he'll help the back end.

trail
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm just happy for him we did not win the game at 4-1 (no championship tittle). Everyone would want his head.:mad5:

Overall time will tell.:noidea:

__wowza
06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I predict the next player leaving TFC will be Vitti, which is disappointing to me. I think he has been badly misused BUT he needs to do something with the opportunities he has been given and he didn't.

I'm told by a reliable contact that Cummins has already asked Mo to terminate the loan deal.

Vitti is a player that's such a tragedy. he's got SO MUCH potential, he just cant finish. if the pitch was his girlfriend i'd feel bad for everyone involved.

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 11:06 AM
If we had won the 4-1 (i.e. no trophy as we all know the permutations by this time), people would be all over Garcia. Aside from that, I thought he was effective particularly in the second half against the Montreal fast breaks. He seemed to catch several of their players by surprise by stepping up and knocking the ball away from them. It stopped several forays in their tracks.

The talk about giving him the captaincy was much, much too early, no matter how brilliantly he could have played. He needs more games in a more conventional backline (i.e. in a 4-3-3 of 4-4-2 rather than a 2-4-4 which is what TFC seemed to be playing at times in Montreal) so we can assess him more properly.

Inklink
06-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Bad tackle in the first half, but I think he redeemed himself. He was important when TFC was just trying to hold the fort and keep Montréal out.

ochos
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Let's focus on the positives - MLSE brought in a guy with experience, who helped us get 3 points during the week, and even with a few bad slip-ups in the first half, played fairly well overall and made some huge defensive plays to help win the championship.

Until we get someone better, let's not berate and beat on him like the hockey stick wielding leafs fans we claim we're not..

Blazer
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Probably not fair to evaluate a guy based on one USL levelled game that was won 6-1.

Could you imagine if our supporters were evaluated on that one game last season where there was more energy in the constipated Lakeshore windmill?

Shaughno
06-19-2009, 12:01 PM
If we had won the 4-1

We didn't, so who the fuck cares? He did his job, he made one mistake early on. It's not like nobody on our team has fucked up before.

Pachuco
06-19-2009, 12:04 PM
We didn't, so who the fuck cares? He did his job, he made one mistake early on. It's not like nobody on our team has fucked up before.

But you didn't watch the first half. It was not one mistake. He was as horrible in the first half as he was good in the second half. It was two completely different players out there.

Roogsy
06-19-2009, 12:04 PM

So very true.

Watching the game last night, when they were awarded the PK, I felt sorry for the guy. It was just regular TFC bad luck. I wasn't mad or anything. Probably more because I (and I must admit the truth here) didn't think Toronto were going to pull it off.

I have never been so happy to have been so wrong.

Garcia is just getting accustomed here...mistakes will happen and even moreso with defenders who will always run the risk of fouls. So far, I like what I have seen.

Shaughno
06-19-2009, 12:12 PM
But you didn't watch the first half. It was not one mistake. He was as horrible in the first half as he was good in the second half. It was two completely different players out there.

And there have been multiple games where DeRo was absolute garbage giving the ball away and being almost invisble.

That was Garcia's second game with the team and IMO he seems to be adjusting well. If we pair him and Serioux up with some speed on the wings (Nana and Wynne), I think we'll have a very solid backline.

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 12:28 PM

Dunno, not me. :D All I was trying to get at is that Garcia would have been lynched if his giving away the penalty cost us the title and we would have forgotten that, as you mention also, that Garcia seems to be adjusting well to life with TFC (i.e. the penalty would have been a dark cloud over his head). I happen to agree and look forward to see more of him.

Shaughno
06-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Dunno, not me. :D All I was trying to get at is that Garcia would have been lynched if his giving away the penalty cost us the title and we would have forgotten that, as you mention also, that Garcia seems to be adjusting well to life with TFC (i.e. the penalty would have been a dark cloud over his head). I happen to agree and look forward to see more of him.

Oh for sure, but it doesn't seem to matter who you are on the squad. You get ripped if you aren't perfect.

Hitcho
06-19-2009, 12:42 PM
I think Garcia looks pretty solid and will do well in our backline with Serioux. Even if he is just dependable and simple with no major whistles and bells to his game that's exactly what we need to shore us up at the back - ie, just knowing there isn't an accident back there waiting to happen. But I think he'll do better than that. Penalty aside, he had some pretty big moments last night and came out of them well. Seems to read the game well, which in my book is far more important than pace in a CB.

Shaughno
06-19-2009, 12:44 PM
^^ Agreed 100% Hitcho.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 01:11 PM
i was pleasantly surprised to see Garcia being so vocal in pregame huddle from parky's vid.

the lad's been in the team for only 2 weeks and already he's being so vocal and taking a leadership role

his strong defensive play helps too

so far, I'm liking this trade

Shaughno
06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
i was pleasantly surprised to see Garcia being so vocal in pregame huddle from parky's vid.

the lad's been in the team for only 2 weeks and already he's being so vocal and taking a leadership role

his strong defensive play helps too

so far, I'm liking this trade

What did I say after the first game about him becoming a leader for us? ;)

Pachuco
06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Garcia had a really good game yesterday. First time he impressed me since coming over. He was all over the place. Hopefully he can do that consistently.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 01:23 PM
i also like how the defence seems less running around with head cut off whenever opposition attacks. like players know what they are suppose to do. (except on set pieces. that needs work still)

more composed.

we'll see if this keeps up with better offensive teams