PDA

View Full Version : De Guzman Superthread (until any official announcement)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

YoungBlood113
06-14-2009, 12:55 AM
I very high up there source that my buddy knows said that Julian will be signing with TFC in 2 weeks as our DP. This does sound fuckin crazy but this guy has been right about the real madrid friendly and the fact that grass was being put in 2months ago, so i do got my hopes up for this.

im not one to buy into this bullshit normally but this got my hopes up. He also said this was ricketts last game.

BC101
06-14-2009, 12:59 AM
nah LOL... Deportivo or TFC? sorry we all love TFC but come on LOL.

Redpunkfiddle
06-14-2009, 12:59 AM
I very high up is for sure.

TFC07
06-14-2009, 01:07 AM
nah LOL... Deportivo or TFC? sorry we all love TFC but come on LOL.

Deportivo don't want him.

JDG being at tonight's game and sitting at MLSE private box might be a sign that he is coming to TFC????

Darlofletch
06-14-2009, 01:11 AM
I'd love it, but can't see it happening.

[NBF]
06-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Now that would be an awesome signing if DeGuzman signed with TFC. I could see this happening only if the MLSE offered $5 million per season (8 months) and put grass in BMO Field after the Real Madrid match.

DeGuzman is close to being in his 30's and he's only a rotation player at Deportivo La Coruna. Why wouldnt he take a $5 million dollar offer per season?

wZlkFSOdcAA

:scarf:

SilverSamurai
06-14-2009, 01:19 AM
I would LOVE to see JDG sign here. He would completely destroy MLS defenders, but lets be realistic, he's not coming to MLS at this point.
He's said he'd like to play for TFC but that it'll be when his career is on the way down.

He's been linked to various EPL squads and was named player of the year at Deportivo. He's NOT coming here anytime soon.

But man, I would love to be wrong.

TFC07
06-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Just a quick question: If JDG did end up signing here, then where exactly would he play in starting line-up?

SilverSamurai
06-14-2009, 01:25 AM
Just a quick question: If JDG did end up signing here, then where exactly would he play in starting line-up?
He's a DM for Deportivo, but plays AM for the National squad. ( maybe I got them mixed up) lol

Of course "O Glorious Leader" :rolleyes: (whom shall not be named) played him and everyone else pretty much OUT of position. :rolleyes:

TFC07
06-14-2009, 01:33 AM
He's a DM for Deportivo, but plays AM for the National squad. ( maybe I got them mixed up) lol

Of course "O Glorious Leader" :rolleyes: (whom shall not be named) played him and everyone else pretty much OUT of position. :rolleyes:

Interesting since we got Robbo playing as a DM for us. If JDG does end up signing, what will happen to Robbo?

carefree_cfc
06-14-2009, 01:47 AM
youngblood113 tells no lies?

windsorlad111
06-14-2009, 01:47 AM
I very high up is for sure.

QFT oh yeah

Cashcleaner
06-14-2009, 01:50 AM
This rumour doesn't actually sound like it's beyond the realm of possibility. I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm not dismissing it off-hand.

twistedchinaman
06-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Part of me wants to dismiss it as ordinary pie-in-the-sky, the rest of me hopes it's true.

DP + Canadian. Can't get any more real than that. Still, we can only dream...

Speaking of pie...

http://www.andreasrecipes.com/photos/Key_lime_pie.jpg

Mmmm, pie...:drool5::D

Mojo
06-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Honestly I hope he doesn't sign here.

I fucking love him, hes a champion for Canada, but the fact that hes a Canadian international makes me want him to continue his career elsewhere in Europe.

Canadian soccer needs international exposure and hes our best shot at having a legit player playing in European comps.

Maybe 5/6 years down the road, for sure.

Shakes McQueen
06-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Love it to be true. Doubt it is, but I always hold out some small hope.

JDG being at the game is probably pretty meaningless, though. His season is over, he's back in Canada to spend time with his family, and probably just decided to come out to a game.

- Scott

Super
06-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Hmm, I guess anything is possible, but is this really the best move for us right now? Wouldn't a DP striker be more along the lines of what we need? But having said that, hell yeah I'd love to see him dress in TFC colours!

Sure could use one on Thursday!

Cal
06-14-2009, 02:58 AM
well he was leading scorer for a la liga team. he can score better than most strikers.

If he joined us we would be the best team on paper in the history of the MLS.no question.

Nuvinho
06-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Big Bruva will know

FluSH
06-14-2009, 07:26 AM
I would LOVE to see JDG sign here. He would completely destroy MLS defenders, but lets be realistic, he's not coming to MLS at this point.
He's said he'd like to play for TFC but that it'll be when his career is on the way down.

He's been linked to various EPL squads and was named player of the year at Deportivo. He's NOT coming here anytime soon.

But man, I would love to be wrong.

We need to stop taking players when their careers are way down... fuck'em if that's their attitude I don't want them... I rather take my shot at 10 Montero's than 10 Canadian Internationals when their careers are down...

TFCRegina
06-14-2009, 07:29 AM
What you do is move De Ro into a striker position and have De Guzman and Guevara playing AM. Cronin and Robbo can pick up the other two spots in the middle.

Kaz
06-14-2009, 07:51 AM
what happened with Jamie Smith, didn't papers report that an offer was going to be made?

So far that is three new players being linked with the team, plus Garcia. That means at least two people on the current squad will be let go if all three come in. So if we sign Gerba, Smith, and JDG who other then Ricketts is out? Harmse? Vitti?

Bobo
06-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Honestly I hope he doesn't sign here.

I fucking love him, hes a champion for Canada, but the fact that hes a Canadian international makes me want him to continue his career elsewhere in Europe.

Canadian soccer needs international exposure and hes our best shot at having a legit player playing in European comps.

Maybe 5/6 years down the road, for sure.

Exactly. Wanting him here, especially when he doesn't fill our holes is a bit near sighted I think. I want Canadian kids to say "I want to be like JDG" but they won't if he spends his best years in MLS. It's very important that he plays here at some point, but he has more to accomplish in Europe still.

James17930
06-14-2009, 08:01 AM

Anywhere he wants. I think him and De Ro would be given carte-blanche to basically go wherever they wanted on the field, with Guevera and Dichio both sort of staying in the middle, Guevera to distribute (along with, obviously, Robbo and Cronin to hold), Dichio to bring balls down.

And then Gerba in reserve?

Man -- we'd have most of the National team playing for us.

I would literally shit my pants -- I'm talking massive direahhea -- if we actually manged to sign both of them.

Broadview
06-14-2009, 08:02 AM
He's been quoted as saying that at his age it doesn't make sense for a footballer not to test himself at the highest level possible.

He said the same thing when TFC came calling just a few months ago.

It would be cool if we could have everyone who was in that private box though.

Nuvinho
06-14-2009, 08:03 AM
^^ wait for Big Bruva to come online, he will know. He said a bunch of them were out together on friday night.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-14-2009, 08:07 AM
I doubt it to be honest... He's drawn interest from clubs in Italy, Spain and England, I can't see him coming to MLS at this point in his career. And for the sake of our national team, he needs to be playing at the highest level.

poppamidnight
06-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Anywhere he wants. I think him and De Ro would be given carte-blanche to basically go wherever they wanted on the field, with Guevera and Dichio both sort of staying in the middle, Guevera to distribute (along with, obviously, Robbo and Cronin to hold), Dichio to bring balls down.

And then Gerba in reserve?

Man -- we'd have most of the National team playing for us.

I would literally shit my pants -- I'm talking massive direahhea -- if we actually manged to sign both of them.

That's the problem...

Too much CMNT players, we'd be screwed in conflicts when the national team plays...

Pretty much would have to set an allotment limit on how many players the National Team would be allowed to call up for a game,

and that would put us all in a lose-lose situation
Choose one:
Want your best for Canada? Or for Toronto?

TFCRegina
06-14-2009, 10:02 AM
In this case you'd get neither. You'd have two mediocre sides. Oh wait...we have that already :(

Ageroo
06-14-2009, 10:06 AM
^^ wait for Big Bruva to come online, he will know. He said a bunch of them were out together on friday night.

The brothers De Guzman do a boat cruise every summer. So that is why a lot of these guys are in town as well. That is where Big Bruva would have been out with them on Friday night.

Oblio2
06-14-2009, 10:08 AM
We dont need another DM or AM
We need defenders and forwards

reggie
06-14-2009, 10:20 AM
if it ever happend it will be in 3 to 5 yrs from now..

rocktml
06-14-2009, 10:29 AM
DE GUZMAN IS NOT COMING!

you heard it here first.....

Ageroo
06-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Regardless of the fact that we don't need either(DM or AM)....your telling me Simon, that if there was the possibility of signing him that you would look elsewhere just because we don't need the position. He is the best player in Canada....but for the record I would be shocked if this ever takes place anytime soon....but he is my favourite player on the planet! :)

VPjr
06-14-2009, 10:34 AM
DE GUZMAN IS NOT COMING!

you heard it here first.....

Seconded. Julian was at yesterday's game because he wanted to be at yesterday's game. He is not signing with TFC anytime soon (maybe restart this thread in 4-5 years)

Julian will not be returning to Deportivo La Coruna either.

He has offers from significant clubs in various countries in Europe. There was a lot of noise being made by Benfica about 5-6 weeks ago that they were very serious about bringing him to Lisbon. That is a serious offer, not a rumour.

I fully expect he will stay in Spain but until he signs his name on the dotted line, it is hard to know where he'll land.

I'd like to see him sign with a reasonably big club with UEFA CL or Europa Cup ambitions but most important is that he goes somewhere where he a) gets to play and b) gets paid (lots of clubs in Spain are having major $ problems and haven't been paying players, most notable is Valencia but they are far from the only one.

Section 117
06-14-2009, 10:42 AM
I saw him before the game and we had a five minute conversation. I asked him if he was going to sign with TFC his reply was maybe in a couple of years. But anything is possible I guess

poppamidnight
06-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Who caught the Footy show this morning with DeGuzman + Peters???

By all indication's he has/will talk to Mo,
stating he's talked with clubs from "many countries"
but he explicitly says he "prefers" Spain,

he discussed the economic situation effecting the market,

Which leads me to believe he's using TFC as a bargaining chip to get Spanish Clubs to pony up....

So I think Original poster could very well be correct,
but the fact remains even inside TFC sources may not know all details (being that sure, he may be in talks with TFC, but it could only be to get other european teams to pay up),

So my conclusion:
-Yea he has/will talk to TFC
-No he won't sign here (I only came to this conclusion after seeing his comments on todays show)
THEREFORE: used/will use TFC to put some pressure on his desired locations

prizby
06-14-2009, 11:31 AM
big rumour, not true

[NBF]
06-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Which leads me to believe he's using TFC as a bargaining chip to get Spanish Clubs to pony up....

but the fact remains even inside TFC sources may not know all details (being that sure, he may be in talks with TFC, but it could only be to get other european teams to pay up),

So my conclusion:
-No he won't sign here (I only came to this conclusion after seeing his comments on todays show)

Thats stupid, cuz we're talking about MLS compared to clubs in Europe. If Julian De Guzman is using anyone, its european clubs to get a $5 million a year contract from TFC and no it would not be a bad signing because he plays DM for Deportivo La Coruna. He could easily play ar CM in a 4-3-3 and be great at it.

-------------------Frei-------------------
Wynne----Garcia--------Serioux---Brennan
----------------Robinson-----------------
--------DeGuzman------Guevara----------
Vitti-------------------------------Barrett
----------------DeRosario----------------

*You could interchange DeRo with Vittie or Barrett
**You could interchange Vitti and DeGuzman or Guevara and Barrett

That lineup would be massive vs any oppossing teams.:scarf:

FluSH
06-14-2009, 11:50 AM

So my conclusion:

Let him stay in Spain... but I certainly don't want him when he starts going downhill... fuck that... we need some self-respect... TFC is not going to be the retirement home of every Canadian Intl.

Shway
06-14-2009, 12:07 PM
;572892']Thats stupid, cuz we're talking about MLS compared to clubs in Europe. If Julian De Guzman is using anyone, its european clubs to get a $5 million a year contract from TFC and no it would not be a bad signing because he plays DM for Deportivo La Coruna. He could easily play ar CM in a 4-3-3 and be great at it.

Vitti-------------------------------DeRosario
----------------Dichio----------------

CHANGED!!!'

How the hell could you leave dichio out?

but yea it would be very lethal

TFCRegina
06-14-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm surprised this rumour isn't on MLS Rumours yet :P

felipe
06-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I would never leave Spain either...who would?

Despite being a slightly inferior league to the EPL and Serie A, its freakin Spain! Maybe the most beautiful country in the world! Certainly the nicest climate.

No, for the good of the nation, JDG must remain in Europe playing top competition. Right now, JDG must have his choice of 15 EPL clubs.

I would be seriouxly disapointed if he came home now.

Stryker
06-14-2009, 12:55 PM
This has no chance of happening. He doesn't want to play here right now and if he did he'd want a salary so high the team would probley dip into the red.
Wouldn't want him anyway. As others have said we need strikers, not midfielders.

thisisinternetclash
06-14-2009, 12:56 PM

Despite being a slightly inferior league to the EPL and Serie A, its freakin Spain! Maybe the most beautiful country in the world! Certainly the nicest climate.

No, for the good of the nation, JDG must remain in Europe playing top competition. Right now, JDG must have his choice of 15 EPL clubs.

La Liga is certainly considered to be a stronger league than Serie A.

TFC RealDeal RPB
06-14-2009, 01:01 PM
No Way !

TFC RealDeal RPB
06-14-2009, 01:03 PM

:flare: + 1 :flare:

pubboy
06-14-2009, 02:33 PM
;572892']Thats stupid, cuz we're talking about MLS compared to clubs in Europe. If Julian De Guzman is using anyone, its european clubs to get a $5 million a year contract from TFC and no it would not be a bad signing because he plays DM for Deportivo La Coruna. He could easily play ar CM in a 4-3-3 and be great at it.

Vitti-------------------------------Barrett
----------------DeRosario----------------

Are you serious ? Apart from DeGuzman, thats the side we have already that isnt scoring any goals !

Keegan
06-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow this is beyond dumb. De Guzman is not coming here PERIOD.

He is one of the top midfielders in La Liga which means he is world class and definitely not a TFC target for now. He will be a TFC player in 5 years maybe.

De Guzman is being tracked by Tottenham, Valencia, Sevilla and Benfica. Those are 4 huge clubs with a shit load of cash. He isn't stupid.

And to whoever said he was a squad player at Deportivo? Wtf? He was their MVP last season and he has been injured this year and out of favour due to his contract dispute Depor owe him a ton of money in bonuses and he will not be returning,

Redpunkfiddle
06-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I think there should be consequences to posting something so inane. (you know, should it not come to pass). Your buddy, his source, and you should take a boot to the head (figurative) - and I'll spot you the couple of weeks you mention as a timeframe.

I guess the first test is if we see Ricketts in the lineup for the next game.

I very high up there source that my buddy knows said that Julian will be signing with TFC in 2 weeks as our DP. This does sound fuckin crazy but this guy has been right about the real madrid friendly and the fact that grass was being put in 2months ago, so i do got my hopes up for this.

im not one to buy into this bullshit normally but this got my hopes up. He also said this was ricketts last game.

CretanBull
06-14-2009, 03:31 PM
He is one of the top midfielders in La Liga...

Not even close to top 5....

SilverSamurai
06-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Let him stay in Spain... but I certainly don't want him when he starts going downhill... fuck that... we need some self-respect... TFC is not going to be the retirement home of every Canadian Intl.
When he comes over it's likely that he won't be signing for DP money. What would be the harm in having him here at 31-32yrs old?
Look at the age of Dichio and Robbo. They still play well. Although Dichio's done this year, but I sure as well hope he'll stay on with the club in some sort of capacity.

Ya Spain is nice, but IMO, I wouldn't say is the most beautiful country in the world. Although the La Rioja landscapes are purdy.
I haven't been to every country though so I can't say which is #1. lol

I agree he shouldn't come over at this point in time, but hopefully he'll stay in La Liga. I would think the EPL is too physical for him, but he seems to play all right in CONCACAF though.

Wow this is beyond dumb. De Guzman is not coming here PERIOD.

He is one of the top midfielders in La Liga which means he is world class and definitely not a TFC target for now. He will be a TFC player in 5 years maybe.

De Guzman is being tracked by Tottenham, Valencia, Sevilla and Benfica. Those are 4 huge clubs with a shit load of cash. He isn't stupid.

And to whoever said he was a squad player at Deportivo? Wtf? He was their MVP last season and he has been injured this year and out of favour due to his contract dispute Depor owe him a ton of money in bonuses and he will not be returning,
I'd hope he'd not sign with Valencia since they're also having money problems like Deportivo, but who knows where he'd end up. Hopefully someplace where he gets to play regurlary and improve even more.

Manutd #1
06-14-2009, 03:36 PM
to be honest I don't think he would come if he did great but probably not yet. I would love to see him in the EPL at least then I could watch him play move often as the EPL is on tv alot more here. I think we should target jaime Peters at a bargin as he NEVER plays for Ipswich and would be a great fast attacking winger which we need and he is young and a developing candian. I would also love simeon jackson to come get us goals but he is not coming here as he was gillinghams hero last year, but he is the future of canada

sampace
06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Forget Deguzman, did Gerba show up to the game? Did anyone see, after all Mo Johnston did say he would fly Gerba to the game and sign him early in the week? Who knows?

dantdot
06-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Forget Deguzman, did Gerba show up to the game? Did anyone see, after all Mo Johnston did say he would fly Gerba to the game and sign him early in the week? Who knows?

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14468

denime
06-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Yes,Gerba was in MLSE private box with DeGuzman,Brennan and co.

sampace
06-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm surprised MLS rumors hasn't announced that they'v been signed yet! They are definetly the source of accurate information.

K1nG
06-14-2009, 08:34 PM
although at this point a defender and a forward is what we need, JDG is a world class player and could do wonders for Toronto FC. From my viewpoint, TFC has trouble transitioning from defence to offence. A guy like JDG could be that box to box midfielder that we need, an Essien if you will. Robbo just isn't doing the trick. This would allow DeRo to stay a little higher up the pitch than he has been currently doing which would help him save some more energy for forward runs.

I beleive a good holding midfielder is the cornerstone of a club, and I'm sorry but Robbo just isn't good enough distributing the ball from the back line to the attackers. Maybe a DM for a DPis exactly what we need.

Furthermore, along with the higher salary incentive there is much to say about playing in your home town. I'm not sure if his parents live in the GTA but that could go a long way in making his decision. Sooner or later the MLS is going to court someone who could be playing in a higher league, it happens in every league. Believe in it and it might happen.

I share FluSh's opinion on not wanting players when they are on their way down.

sampace
06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree that Robinson has not played well in the past two weeks. He played very poor this past weekend. Perhaps it is time to look at moving him out of TFC.

FluSH
06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
When he comes over it's likely that he won't be signing for DP money. What would be the harm in having him here at 31-32yrs old?
Look at the age of Dichio and Robbo. They still play well. Although Dichio's done this year, but I sure as well hope he'll stay on with the club in some sort of capacity.

I'm not saying there aren't any 31-32yr olds who have played abroad and can prove themselves useful here in the MLS... Dichio beign an example, and Blanco as well...

What I am trying to say is that 31-32yr old Canadian Internationals shouldn't get a free pass to come to Toronto FC just cause they are Canadian Internationals...

Ageroo
06-14-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm not saying there aren't any 31-32yr olds who have played abroad and can prove themselves useful here in the MLS... Dichio beign an example, and Blanco as well...

What I am trying to say is that 31-32yr old Canadian Internationals shouldn't get a free pass to come to Toronto FC just cause they are Canadian Internationals...

Yes....Canadian Internationals should not get a free pass because they are Canadian....but we are talking about De Guzman here...not a run of the mill Canadian. :)

Pookie
06-15-2009, 09:32 AM

... as opposed to being the day care for every young South American underachiever?

As for the rumour that started from a Canadian National Team member sitting with other Canadian National Team members in a press box, maybe there is something to it.

Or maybe he was home for the summer and was invited by his teammates to go to a game. It was either a freebie against the Red Bulls or pony up to see Real Madrid... which would you choose? ;)

Fort York Redcoat
06-15-2009, 09:40 AM
JDG? Yes please. How much though?

SilverSamurai
06-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes....Canadian Internationals should not get a free pass because they are Canadian....but we are talking about De Guzman here...not a run of the mill Canadian. :)
Agreed.
It's not as if he's Stalteri or something.

Cal
06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Not even close to top 5....

I dont know there is something to be said for him being one of the top midfielders in the league:
He would barely be top five on Barca (Xaci, Iniesta, Gudjohnsen, Toure) or RM (Sniejder, Van Der Varrt, Guti, Kaka, Parejo, Diarrax2), but when you look past the giants, hes right in there. On a decent club and their strongest mid.

flambe
06-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Johnson quote from a recent article in the Toronto Sun:

"(Former coach) John Carver and I had a player from Poland lined up (possibly veteran national Jacek Bak) and another team came in and blew us out of the water," Johnston said. "I went after a Canadian (believed to be defensive midfielder Julian De Guzman) with a hell of a lot of money and he turned it down."

VPjr
06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Johnson quote from a recent article in the Toronto Sun:

"(Former coach) John Carver and I had a player from Poland lined up (possibly veteran national Jacek Bak) and another team came in and blew us out of the water," Johnston said. "I went after a Canadian (believed to be defensive midfielder Julian De Guzman) with a hell of a lot of money and he turned it down."

and good for Julian for making that decision.

He still has lots to accomplish in Europe (be it in Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy or somewhere else).

The money he turned down from TFC was no doubt significant. I'm willing to wager he would have become the highest paid player in MLS not named Beckham had he accepted the deal.

However, its not like he'll be working for minimum wage in Europe. The offers he's got or will get are going to be significant and the opportunity to play in UEFA CL is too good to pass up.

Keegan
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't think people realize how highly rated De Guzman is in Spain.

De Guzman would eat up MLS and spit it out, the man is absolutely world class look at what he has done to teams like Costa Rica and Brazil. Not to mention in club competition what he has done versus Barcelona and Real Madrid.

jloome
06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
I think there should be consequences to posting something so inane. (you know, should it not come to pass). Your buddy, his source, and you should take a boot to the head (figurative) - and I'll spot you the couple of weeks you mention as a timeframe.

I guess the first test is if we see Ricketts in the lineup for the next game.

Your "very high up source" was either pulling your leg, or....wait a minute....think back....were you riding a steam locomotive across some clouds at the time, chased by Al Pacino on a greased pig?

Yep, you dreamed it up..

Cal
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't think people realize how highly rated De Guzman is in Spain.

De Guzman would eat up MLS and spit it out, the man is absolutely world class look at what he has done to teams like Costa Rica and Brazil. Not to mention in club competition what he has done versus Barcelona and Real Madrid.

This is what ive been saying. Here is this years table:

1 Barcelona (MVP = Messi)
2 Real Madrid (MVP= Casillas)
3 Sevilla (Team slaughtered Tottenham this year)
4 Atletico Madrid (MVP = Aguero and Maxi Rodriguez)
5 Villarreal (MVP = Marocs Senna)
6 Valencia (MVP = Villa, Silva and Marchena)
7 Deportivo La Coruna (MVP= De Guzman)
8 Malaga
9 Mallorca
10 Espanyol
11 Almeria
12 Racing Santander
13 Athletic Bilbao
14 Sporting Gijon
15 Valladolid
16 Osasuna
17 Getafe
18 Real Betis
19 Numancia
20 Recreativo Huelva

CretanBull
06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I dont know there is something to be said for him being one of the top midfielders in the league:
He would barely be top five on Barca (Xaci, Iniesta, Gudjohnsen, Toure) or RM (Sniejder, Van Der Varrt, Guti, Kaka, Parejo, Diarrax2), but when you look past the giants, hes right in there. On a decent club and their strongest mid.

I could name 25-30 midfielders in La Liga who are better than De Guzman. To suggest that he's top 5 is absurd...he's not even close to being in the same catagory of players as Iniesta, Xavi etc.

Krasno.pL.
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
I spoke to JDG at the boat cruise on friday...
he wouldnt comment.. lol

Limani_Ole
I could name 25-30 midfielders in La Liga who are better than De Guzman. To suggest that he's top 5 is absurd...he's not even close to being in the same catagory of players as Iniesta, Xavi etc.

no you couldn't.. he is one of the better DM in the league.. obviously no one here is suggesting he is better than Iniesta or Xavi.. but to suggest there is 25-30 better Midfielders in a league with only 20 teams is wrong..

he wasnt selected MVP of a team that finished 7th in La Liga because he is an okay player.. he is a great player..

fetajr

If he came...

I would say that the starting lineup would revolve around him

DeRo --- Dichio -- Vitti

---------DeGuz----------
Brennan-------------Cronin
---------Robbo----------

Garcia -- Serioux -- Wynne

-----------Frei-------------

Odd man out being Guevara...he'll probably be upset, so it would be best if they could trade or cut him. I'm not big on Brennan on the left MF, not sure who else would fit there...although I like this attacking formation

poppamidnight
06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I spoke to JDG at the boat cruise on friday...
he wouldnt comment.. lol

I'm telling ya guys,
seeing him on the Footy Show the other day,
for sure he's been talking to Mo,
so it's not like this is completely ficticious,

With that said he doesn't really want to come here...
...It's all part of the ploy by agents to maximize player value.

he EXPLICITLY said he prefers spain,

It has been noted, he's highly rated over there,

and he EXPLICITLY said the economic downturn is slowing things down,

What better way to speed up the process and boost your value by saying, "hey listen, if you want to lowball me I can just go ahead and take the DP offer back home in Canada",

"Okay, Okay Julian, no more lowballs.... here's your millions, just stop talking 'I'd consider MLS' crazy talk"

fetajr
06-15-2009, 12:45 PM
What better way to speed up the process and boost your value by saying, "hey listen, if you want to lowball me I can just go ahead and take the DP offer back home in Canada",

Deportivo Manager: "isn't the field plastico over there in Toronto"
DeGuz's Agent: "yeah your right, where do we sign?"

CretanBull
06-15-2009, 12:58 PM
no you couldn't.. he is one of the better DM in the league.. obviously no one here is suggesting he is better than Iniesta or Xavi.. but to suggest there is 25-30 better Midfielders in a league with only 20 teams is wrong..

he wasnt selected MVP of a team that finished 7th in La Liga because he is an okay player.. he is a great player..

You say that "no one here is suggesting he is better than Iniesta or Xavi" in a thread that said that he was top 5 in La Liga. If he's not better than them, then someone is suggesting that he's better than Sneijder, Kaka or Ronaldo. He's not even close to being that calibre of player, he's not half as good as any of them.

He was selected MVP of his team because of the roll that he played on his team, which they deemed was most valuable to them. That doesn't make him one of the best players in the league - it makes him most appreciated by his own club.

I like JDG a lot, but he's not an elite level player by world standards. He's a good player, on a good team that plays his roll well.

Beyond the obvious (ie the 10 midfielders on Barca & Real Madrid) it would be hard to even argue that De Guzman is in the same class of players as David Silva, Achille Emana, Marcos Senna, Robert Pires, Diego Chapel, Simao etc. That's 16 mids right there, and there are others in that class of player. JDG would fall into the catagory of players behind those guys.

Monk
06-15-2009, 02:47 PM
He's not coming anytime soon. As soon as I hear something to the contrary I'll be sure to let you all know ;).

-W.

Jeffro
06-15-2009, 03:00 PM
I've heard whispers. It's a lot more likely than some people here may think.

Monk
06-15-2009, 03:02 PM
You willing to place money on that? :D

-W.

Pigfynn
06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Alright!!^^^

:poke:

Keegan
06-15-2009, 03:10 PM
You say that "no one here is suggesting he is better than Iniesta or Xavi" in a thread that said that he was top 5 in La Liga. If he's not better than them, then someone is suggesting that he's better than Sneijder, Kaka or Ronaldo. He's not even close to being that calibre of player, he's not half as good as any of them.

He was selected MVP of his team because of the roll that he played on his team, which they deemed was most valuable to them. That doesn't make him one of the best players in the league - it makes him most appreciated by his own club.

I like JDG a lot, but he's not an elite level player by world standards. He's a good player, on a good team that plays his roll well.

Beyond the obvious (ie the 10 midfielders on Barca & Real Madrid) it would be hard to even argue that De Guzman is in the same class of players as David Silva, Achille Emana, Marcos Senna, Robert Pires, Diego Chapel, Simao etc. That's 16 mids right there, and there are others in that class of player. JDG would fall into the catagory of players behind those guys.

Who said he was top 5 in la liga? I said he is one of the best midfielders in La Liga. Does that mean top 5? No on average each team plays 4 mids at a time correct? Meaning there are probably 100 mids who see pretty good time in La Liga, he is one of the top mids. Meaning I'd say he is definitely top 20. He was in the La Liga team of the month last season and there was even speculation that he may be named in the team of the season.

FluSH
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM

I like JDG now... and I say now only because what I saw from his play in MTL vs Honduras was not pretty... anyhow I'll take JDG now... but not later down the road... There are plenty of Central American players that could be much better gambles...

P.S. I emphasize on the word gamble

CretanBull
06-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Who said he was top 5 in la liga? I said he is one of the best midfielders in La Liga. Does that mean top 5? No on average each team plays 4 mids at a time correct? Meaning there are probably 100 mids who see pretty good time in La Liga, he is one of the top mids. Meaning I'd say he is definitely top 20. He was in the La Liga team of the month last season and there was even speculation that he may be named in the team of the season.

That wasn't directed at you, there was a deleted comment that said "top 5" in response to your original post - I was commenting on that.

I'd rank JDG somewhere between 25-30, probably around which is still very good considering the quality of La Liga. There's probably 12 or so top-level mids that no one would argue are the stars of the league. Behind them, there's a group of about 15 players that are very good but not elite. After that there's a class of players that are good - regular starters who contribut to their teams etc. I think JDG is towards the back half of those 'very good' players or the top half of those 'good' players.

VPjr
06-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I've heard whispers. It's a lot more likely than some people here may think.

IT's not happening.

The money and term of contract TFC offered is no doubt flattering and the economic slowdown (which is hitting certain countries in Europe especially hard) means that he's probably leaving money on the table by not accepting the TFC offer but he's still at a point in his life where he's going to chase the dream of playing on the biggest possible stage rather than taking quick money to make a big step down to a significantly lesser league.

VPjr
06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I like JDG now... and I say now only because what I saw from his play in MTL vs Honduras was not pretty... anyhow I'll take JDG now... but not later down the road... There are plenty of Central American players that could be much better gambles...

I agree 100% with Flush.

Right now, TFC needs several talented players, not a single DP player who doesn't even address TFC's #1 needs (scoring, defense)

If I were TFC, I would comb central america, the 1st divisions of smaller South american countries, the 2nd divisions of Argentina and Brazil and all the leagues in Central America looking for talent that would jump at a guaranteed $5000-6000 per month.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I agree 100% with Flush.

Right now, TFC needs several talented players, not a single DP player who doesn't even address TFC's #1 needs (scoring, defense)

If I were TFC, I would comb central america, the 1st divisions of smaller South american countries, the 2nd divisions of Argentina and Brazil and all the leagues in Central America looking for talent that would jump at a guaranteed $5000-6000 per month.

who knows we might find the next Vitti!:D

The thoughts of TFC and offering a huge contract to ...DEGUZMAN at this stage in his career make me excited!

VPjr
06-15-2009, 04:47 PM
^ or you might find the next player of Schleotto quality.

wzhxvy
06-15-2009, 04:49 PM
If I was DeGuzman's agent I would be livid he did not agree to the contract. Presuming its significantly more than he could have made in Europe. His money generating days are not endless and if he is smart, he would go where the most money is and maximize it. He is not a spring chicken and although he might have a higher profile and play a better game in Europe...so what ??? How much better is he going to get or make more in Europe. I think if this is true and he declined the offer, he made a big mistake. Not to mention that if he comes back when he is towards the end of his career he would make a fraction of that playing for TFC...he might be thinking that the money will always be there from TFC but they are not stupid. They wont pay the same money when he is in his last couple of years.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-15-2009, 04:50 PM
^ or you might find the next player of Schleotto quality.

a young Schleotto.??...or an old Schleotto who came to MLS for a $$$ swan song?

Shakes McQueen
06-15-2009, 05:29 PM
JDG won Deportivo's MVP award again this season? I didn't know that.

Seems pretty ridiculous, when you consider how much less playing time he had due to injuries, etc.

- Scott

CretanBull
06-15-2009, 06:01 PM
JDG won Deportivo's MVP award again this season? I didn't know that.

Seems pretty ridiculous, when you consider how much less playing time he had due to injuries, etc.

- Scott

Dani Aranzubia won the award this season.

VPjr
06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
a young Schleotto.??...or an old Schleotto who came to MLS for a $$$ swan song?

I dont care myself....I'd gladly take an old Schelotto....he's got twice as many goals this year as our top scorer. not bad for an old man

Yohan
06-15-2009, 06:45 PM
not bad for an old, talented diving wanker
fixed

Kickit09
06-15-2009, 06:45 PM
I dont care myself....I'd gladly take an old Schelotto....he's got twice as many goals this year as our top scorer. not bad for an old man

He also has twice as many goals as all of our forwards combined.

rocker
06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
what if you go south and instead of Schellotto you sign the next Claudio Lopez or Marcelo Gallardo? Neither were worth DP money.

If every team could just send their nets south and sign the next Schellotto you'd think they'd have done it by now.

it's interesting though, of the teams currently with DPs:

DC United -- 3 points up on TFC
chicago -- 2 points up on TFC
Columbus -- tied with TFC
New York -- 10 points less than TFC
Seattle -- 1 point up on TFC

One could say a DP produces a slight possible point advantage.. 1 win maximum... but certainly not the saviour people seem to expect.
is it worth having a DP to get 1 extra win? Note that the two best teams in the league (Houston and Chivas) are at least 5 points above all of these DP teams. So it seams "putting together a solid team without a DP" is still the secret to success.

CretanBull
06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
^ Not a valid comparison. The pit-fall of signing a DP is that you're forced to give up depth for the sake of signing one star player. Because of moves made last season (ie collecting tons of allocation money) we could have signed a DP without giving up any of our depth. We could have a DP on our team now in place of Vitti without having to give up anyone else.

fetajr
06-16-2009, 08:24 AM
I agree 100% with Flush.

you're right on the money.

But, I would go further south than central america, b/c a good central american player from ie: El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras..etc, who can make a successful impact in MLS will likely be called for national team duty, since their pickings are rather slim.

As you mention, scout the shit out of first and second divisions in Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, big teams and small teams. What you will find are very talented players that would flourish in MLS, not to mention they'd love to be making $5000-$6000 USD/month. Its a better option than central america b/c these south american players will likely never get called up to the national team, since talent is richer the souther you go, with the exception to Mexico, i would put Mexico in the same class as the other top south american countries.

Also, you want the next Schelotto?..look no further than Ariel Ortega (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Ortega), he's on the wrong side of 30(like Schelotto), but he's still got game... he could probably be had for non-DP money.

Yohan
06-16-2009, 08:38 AM

But, I would go further south than central america, b/c a good central american player from ie: El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras..etc, who can make a successful impact in MLS will likely be called for national team duty, since their pickings are rather slim.

As you mention, scout the shit out of first and second divisions in Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, big teams and small teams. What you will find are very talented players that would flourish in MLS, not to mention they'd love to be making $5000-$6000 USD/month. Its a better option than central america b/c these south american players will likely never get called up to the national team, since talent is richer the souther you go, with the exception to Mexico, i would put Mexico in the same class as the other top south american countries.

Also, you want the next Schelotto?..look no further than Ariel Ortega (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Ortega), he's on the wrong side of 30(like Schelotto), but he's still got game... he could probably be had for non-DP money.
gotta be really careful though.

DC, RSL, Dallas they all tried the SA route and only one player really panned out. (on mid level MLS salary)

The hidden gems are there, but unless your scouts are really on the game, it's more of a hit or miss.

If MLS experience with SA is any indication, for every 3 players out of SA, you get like 1 decent player

fetajr
06-16-2009, 08:49 AM
gotta be really careful though.

DC, RSL, Dallas they all tried the SA route and only one player really panned out. (on mid level MLS salary)

The hidden gems are there, but unless your scouts are really on the game, it's more of a hit or miss.

If MLS experience with SA is any indication, for every 3 players out of SA, you get like 1 decent player

yep..The scouts need to be very resourceful, speak spanish, think outside of the box and have an eye for talent.

if MLSE could hook up MO and his scouts with DishNetwork and Directv from the US, they would be able to watch TyC Sports, its a sports channel from Argentina that shows tons of 1st and 2nd division games. They'd also get Fox Sports en Espanol, GolTv(US), ESPN Deportes, univision, galavision, telemundo, telefutura, tvChile, tvglobo etc...they'd have the whole continent covered without leaving the office!

my dad could do this job for free

Beach_Red
06-16-2009, 09:20 AM
^ Are you talking about players that aren't represented by agents?

rocker
06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
yep..The scouts need to be very resourceful, speak spanish, think outside of the box and have an eye for talent.

if MLSE could hook up MO and his scouts with DishNetwork and Directv from the US, they would be able to watch TyC Sports, its a sports channel from Argentina that shows tons of 1st and 2nd division games. They'd also get Fox Sports en Espanol, GolTv(US), ESPN Deportes, univision, galavision, telemundo, telefutura, tvChile, tvglobo etc...they'd have the whole continent covered without leaving the office!

my dad could do this job for free

i think scouting is a little more complicated than that... there's a little problem.... umm, most of those players are already under contract ;)
not to mention there's no guarantee that a guy who plays well surrounded by 10 fellow Argentines will play well when surrounding by 10 MLS players.

I mean, look at Juan Pablo Angel this year. By his standards, his production is massively down... And he's already done well in MLS in the past.
Not so easy, my friend.

fetajr
06-16-2009, 09:46 AM
^ Are you talking about players that aren't represented by agents?

i would think that they're all represented by someone

Roogsy
06-16-2009, 09:50 AM
what if you go south and instead of Schellotto you sign the next Claudio Lopez or Marcelo Gallardo? Neither were worth DP money.

If every team could just send their nets south and sign the next Schellotto you'd think they'd have done it by now.

One could say a DP produces a slight possible point advantage.. 1 win maximum... but certainly not the saviour people seem to expect.
is it worth having a DP to get 1 extra win? Note that the two best teams in the league (Houston and Chivas) are at least 5 points above all of these DP teams. So it seams "putting together a solid team without a DP" is still the secret to success.

Interesting that you put up these numbers and fail to acknowedge that TFC has actually played one more game than Seattle or Columbus. By the time that happens, it could actually be that Seattle is 4 points ahead of Toronto and Columbus 3.

Considering that at that rate, the difference at the end of the year would be 8 and 6 points respectively, and we missed the playoffs last year by 4 points last year, it would seem that a DP would have a significant effect indeed. For us...its the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

Monk
06-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Alright!!^^^

:poke:

How does $100.00 sound that De Guzman isn't about to sign? We can give the money to Parkdale for safe keeping. Any serious takers want to put their money where there proverbial internet faceless mouths are?

-W.

fetajr
06-16-2009, 09:53 AM
i think scouting is a little more complicated than that... there's a little problem.... umm, most of those players are already under contract ;)
not to mention there's no guarantee that a guy who plays well surrounded by 10 fellow Argentines will play well when surrounding by 10 MLS players.

I mean, look at Juan Pablo Angel this year. By his standards, his production is massively down... And he's already done well in MLS in the past.
Not so easy, my friend.

When a team buys a player, is that player in or out of contract...i don't know how this all works.

what I do know though is that getting directv and dishnetwork is the cheapest solution to become familiarized with alot of the talent in south america; Without having to deal with time and costs of travelling to scout in person until they are ready to do so.

Anyone know if MO is using Directv and DishNetwork to his advantage?

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2009, 09:55 AM
How does $100.00 sound that De Guzman isn't about to sign? We can give the money to Parkdale for safe keeping. Any serious takers want to put their money where there proverbial internet faceless mouths are?

-W.

When is "about to"?

BakaGaijin
06-16-2009, 10:21 AM
When a team buys a player, is that player in or out of contract...i don't know how this all works.

what I do know though is that getting directv and dishnetwork is the cheapest solution to become familiarized with alot of the talent in south america; Without having to deal with time and costs of travelling to scout in person until they are ready to do so.

This is how Mo scout's:

"Hey Barry (MacLean), I need a (insert position player here), what do you got for me?"

I'm not even joking. MLS is quite sad in this regard. Most managers in MLS rely on a couple of agents to get talent for them.

Scouting for most teams does not exist.

Some of Barry's past and current clients:

Braz, Reda, Pozniak, Sutton, Edwards, Attakora, Brennan, Phelan, Goldthwaite, Barrett, Ibrahim, White.

Mo pretty much let Barry MacLean put together our first year team with his roster of stiffs.

Monk
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM
When is "about to"?

Anytime this season that's for sure.

A player from the Toronto area with family here sitting watching a game does not == the player is about to sign. Mo rolled out the red carpet and JDG said "Thanks" and enjoyed the game. Carver showing up at a Newcastle game did not result in him going there to manage, Shearer went there. TFC is not, and won't be for some time, a top tier Football club and most of the players bantered about in many of these threads wouldn't even consider coming here until they would normally be plying their trade in 2nd or 3rd division teams because THEN the money is worth it. Sad to say, and I'd love it to change but that's reality right now.

-W.

jrober38
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM

You're exactly right that TFC needs to be searching in South America for players who can help them as there is lots of talent down there. Obviously the quality varies from league to league, but in every country the top teams have talent that could definitely make a difference for us.

This might sound simple, but what TFC should be doing is looking at the players who lead the South American leagues in scoring every year. There are plenty of guys in Brazil and Argentina over the age of 30 who consistently score goals everywhere they play. These are the guys we should be talking to.

VPjr
06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Baka Gaijin isn't far off.

A very senior official at TFC has admitted to me personally very recently that "Mo relied on Barry too much in the first year" and his influence was still being felt last year.

While I'm sure Maclean has less influence in personnel choices these days, I have no doubt he is still influential.

I have an old friend who is a FIFA player agent. He tried to get a few South American players in on trial with TFC in years 1 and 2 but found Mo to be completely dismissive without knowing anything about these players. Last time I spoke to my friend about it, he mentioned that all but 1 of those players are now playing in Europe (i think one of them is in the Spanish 2nd Division....not sure where the others are playing). I'm not implying these guys would be superstars because who really can predict that but these players were playing 1st division football in their homecountry. The feeling was that Mo was not really interested in dealing with people outside his circle and it left a bad taste in people's mouths.

BakaGaijin
06-16-2009, 11:40 AM
^^^^^^^^^

I have heard similiar things from another agent that has some players in MLS. If you are not part of Mo's inner circle, he won't even give you the time of day.

jloome
06-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Ortega's alcoholism has cost him a lot, including playing top level football in Argentina. He obviously hasn't had it under control (although that may have recently changed; I haven't heard anything in about six months) but that would make him a risky proposition at best. Also, he's really a winger (although he'd tear MLS apart anywhere, likely).

jloome
06-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Baka Gaijin isn't far off.

A very senior official at TFC has admitted to me personally very recently that "Mo relied on Barry too much in the first year" and his influence was still being felt last year.

While I'm sure Maclean has less influence in personnel choices these days, I have no doubt he is still influential.

I have an old friend who is a FIFA player agent. He tried to get a few South American players in on trial with TFC in years 1 and 2 but found Mo to be completely dismissive without knowing anything about these players. Last time I spoke to my friend about it, he mentioned that all but 1 of those players are now playing in Europe (i think one of them is in the Spanish 2nd Division....not sure where the others are playing). I'm not implying these guys would be superstars because who really can predict that but these players were playing 1st division football in their homecountry. The feeling was that Mo was not really interested in dealing with people outside his circle and it left a bad taste in people's mouths.

That's fairly obvious just by looking at the players who've gone by unsigned. We could've had Washington or Kleber Boas as a DP on a free transfer; both just signed new deals with new teams in th Brazilian first division.

trane
06-16-2009, 11:48 AM
^ Just because they can play for the Brazilian first division does not mean, that they have the tallent to play in the MLS.

Joke

jrober38
06-16-2009, 11:50 AM
That's fairly obvious just by looking at the players who've gone by unsigned. We could've had Washington or Kleber Boas as a DP on a free transfer; both just signed new deals with new teams in th Brazilian first division.

Those are two guys who we seriously should have tried to sign. Both have done nothing but score goals throughout their careers and would have significantly helped us in attack.

Pachuco
06-16-2009, 12:23 PM

Gee, well here's a comparison for you. Columbus and New York were the finalists last year. Guess what? They both have DPs. DC United won the Supporter's Shield, guess what? they had 2 DPs. So, your system is very flawed.

TFC07
06-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Having a lot of Latino players on TFC isn't going to workout unless we play their style of play instead of European/British game.

EDIT: Me personally, I wish Hart was coaching TFC and have last Gold cup Canadian team playing for TFC instead of having current coach and players on TFC. They were fun to watch!

Keegan
06-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Central America = CONCACAF

De Guzman = a top 3 player in CONCACAF

I don't think there are any central american players who would be much better gambles (for DP money obviously). If you are talking about central americans on regular contracts then absolutely I agree. If we are talking DPs though in CONCACAF you can't do much better than De Guz, he is the best mid in CONCACAF. Not many players in this region are in his class, Suazo, Guardado, Marquez probably missing a few. There are a few in a step below class such as Beasley, Dempsey, Vela, Dos Santos (those last two will be in that elite class in a year or two)

Yohan
06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Gee, well here's a comparison for you. Columbus and New York were the finalists last year. Guess what? They both have DPs. DC United won the Supporter's Shield, guess what? they had 2 DPs. So, your system is very flawed.
NY was a fluke,

DC and Columbus has a team that is capable of winning without DPs

actually, their DPs didn't start out as DPs (though in Shitlicker's case, his contract is really weird)

Beach_Red
06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Scouting for most teams does not exist.

Some of Barry's past and current clients:

Braz, Reda, Pozniak, Sutton, Edwards, Attakora, Brennan, Phelan, Goldthwaite, Barrett, Ibrahim, White.

Mo pretty much let Barry MacLean put together our first year team with his roster of stiffs.

Like you say, it's the same for most MLS teams. In fact, agents probably have too much power in every league, especially once you get past the superstars and are filling out rosters.

Imagine what TFC would like without Sutton, Edwards, Attakora, Brennan, Ibrahim and White (though the ones picked up in the draft could have gone to other teams).

The issue is unlikely to be finding players, it's finding players whose agents will sign them to a two year old team in Canada. It's like going through the OHL looking for players to go play hockey in Latvia - or Scotland.

Besides, who do you think MLSE talked to first, Mo or Mclean?

brad
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
DeGuzman is a very good player, but we need a player that can regularly put the ball in the back of the net.

Maple Leaf Red
06-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Like you say, it's the same for most MLS teams. In fact, agents probably have too much power in every league, especially once you get past the superstars and are filling out rosters.

Imagine what TFC would like without Sutton, Edwards, Attakora, Brennan, Ibrahim and White (though the ones picked up in the draft could have gone to other teams).

The issue is unlikely to be finding players, it's finding players whose agents will sign them to a two year old team in Canada. It's like going through the OHL looking for players to go play hockey in Latvia - or Scotland.

Besides, who do you think MLSE talked to first, Mo or Mclean?

Yeah, it's like complaining that Don Meehan's group or IMG puts together a team's roster. It's dumb. There isn't exactly a tonne of player agents.

BakaGaijin
06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah, it's like complaining that Don Meehan's group or IMG puts together a team's roster. It's dumb. There isn't exactly a tonne of player agents.

No...........there's only about 5000 player agents. :rolleyes:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/playersagents/list.html

Anyways, that's besides the point. The point was that Mo doesn't do much scouting, which is proven by the fact that he used primarily one agent........HIS AGENT!.........in the first season.

He continues to refrain from giving other agents the time of day (from what I have been told by an agent) and only works with a select few.

I think everyone can agree that some sort of scouting department would only benefit TFC in the long run.

IMO - the front office would rather just let Mo continue with the status quo rather than spending money on scouts and what not.

Cambridge_Red
06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I've heard the same thing...

brad
06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I am the only one here that is not that bent on getting DeGuzman as our DP?

As a CMNT fan - I want DeGuzman playing at the highest level.

As a TFC fan, I want a goal scorer.

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Was that a question? If we can get DeGuzman as a DP for a while then that's fantastic he'll be playing with some of Canada as well. I doubt at this stage he'd stay for the rest of his career and don't think it a waste. It's the kids like Edgar that need to get to a level before coming home the hero.

Dirk Diggler
06-16-2009, 01:58 PM

To be honest, I don't think Deguzman can achieve much more than what he already has achieved. It'll be hard for him to get a more significant role on a team that plays in a more significant league. La Liga is as good as it gets and he had the fortune of being one of the team's best players a couple seasons ago.

I think this is ideal time for him to be a TFC DP. As flush already stated, if his intention is to squeeze every penny out of Europe before considering TFC than no thanks ... we don't want players coming home to cash out their last paycheque.

fetajr
06-16-2009, 02:43 PM

a goal scorer can't do shit without a talented man the middle to continuously find the goal scorer.

i say JDG for DP

fetajr
06-16-2009, 02:45 PM

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/playersagents/list.html

Anyways, that's besides the point. The point was that Mo doesn't do much scouting, which is proven by the fact that he used primarily one agent........HIS AGENT!.........in the first season.

He continues to refrain from giving other agents the time of day (from what I have been told by an agent) and only works with a select few.

I think everyone can agree that some sort of scouting department would only benefit TFC in the long run.

IMO - the front office would rather just let Mo continue with the status quo rather than spending money on scouts and what not.

I always thought there was a scouting department...is it true that there isn't?

Beach_Red
06-16-2009, 02:47 PM

So there must be some way to narrow it down to the ones who are serious about signing players to MLS "single-entity" contracts and the ones who would just be wasting time and using TFC as a bargaining tool.

Someone on here once said that pretty much all of MLS is represented by only four or five agencies.

fetajr
06-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Having a lot of Latino players on TFC isn't going to workout unless we play their style of play instead of European/British game.

EDIT: Me personally, I wish Hart was coaching TFC and have last Gold cup Canadian team playing for TFC instead of having current coach and players on TFC. They were fun to watch!

thats true, TFC has to get away from the constant long ball..what the hell are mo and cummins thinking.

jloome
06-16-2009, 05:43 PM
So there must be some way to narrow it down to the ones who are serious about signing players to MLS "single-entity" contracts and the ones who would just be wasting time and using TFC as a bargaining tool.

Someone on here once said that pretty much all of MLS is represented by only four or five agencies.

MacLean is the only FIFA-registered player agent in Canada, which is why he has an automatic in with Canadian-based clubs.

Other agents contact the club or are contacted by the club. The idea that they only deal with one guy is ridiculous; he just happens to represent most of the players who Toronto would look at because he's based here.

And yeah, there aren't many MLS-specific agents.

werewolf
06-16-2009, 05:46 PM
MacLean is the only FIFA-registered player agent in Canada, which is why he has an automatic in with Canadian-based clubs.

:confused:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/playersagents/association=can.html

jloome
06-16-2009, 06:01 PM

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/playersagents/association=can.html

I stand corrected. Don't know when they got rid of Fifa registrations.

Edit: When I learn to read, I'll likely discover it was 2001 ;)

Shakes McQueen
06-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Of course, I'd love to know the names and quality of the players those other Canadian agents represent.

- Scott

Keegan
06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Of course, I'd love to know the names and quality of the players those other Canadian agents represent.

- Scott

Rodger Linse is Julian's agent.

Kaz
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Just as food for thought, TFC has 19 goals this year thus far, and has had 22 scored against. If somehow De Guzman was signed, he would help shore up the defensive mid, and still have the ability to be a attacking play maker. The three goals could have resulted in wins and ties, just this year we could have 22+ points right now with a stronger back line.

Yes we need a better striker, but we may already have that in White, our back line is the more pressing concern for me right now. We are conceding too many goals, only Dallas, San Jose, and New York have allowed the same or more goals. That means we have one of the worse back lines in the league right now.

Only Chicago and DC have scored more goals then we have. Which means we are on par with the best teams in the league up front.

So again our back line is much much more important to fix right now, though for Montreal I want a good striker...

Just want to add that with someone like De Guzman replacing Robbo in DCM and Ali Gerba or any decent striker, with Garcia barking out tactics in the back, we would maximize our back line, and DeRo, Guevera and a strong strikers could result in a maximizing our goal scoring, transforming this club to the top.

I don't see it happening though... as awesome as it would be

Jack
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Crazier things have happened.

Maybe he wants to play with his buddies with a "big league" (at least for North America) team in his home town.

I guess we'll see in time. Until he puts his signature on a contract with someone else, anything is possible.

Mo has pulled out some good ones before and I get the feeling he might be onto something.

De Guzman would be a king in this town if he comes here now and brings us titles.

Plus, it would say something about MLS to get a guy of his level still in his prime. It would be a big win for the league and for TFC.

BakaGaijin
06-16-2009, 08:49 PM
[quote=Kaz;577505]Just as food for thought, TFC has 19 goals this year thus far, and has had 22 scored against. If somehow De Guzman was signed, he would help shore up the defensive mid, and still have the ability to be a attacking play maker. The three goals could have resulted in wins and ties, just this year we could have 22+ points right now with a stronger back line.

quote]

I really agree with this point. I think part of our problem is our transition from defense to offense. I think Robinson does a solid job defensively, however, I think he coughs up the ball too much with wayward passing and doesn't show much creativity on offense. Cronin has been solid but not much in the way of initiating an attack. I think this causes Guevara to track back too far and come to the ball.

I think if Julian replaced Robinson or Cronin in the lineup, he would a rock on the defensive end and would also be very dangerous when initiating the counter attack.

Big Bruva
06-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Deportivo don't want him.

Not true.

JDG being at tonight's game and sitting at MLSE private box might be a sign that he is coming to TFC????

Julian being there has nothing to do with any sign, we were on his boat cruise and he usually goes to games when he is in town.

Big Bruva
06-16-2009, 11:36 PM

Oh please don't let Mo fool you and make it seem like Ali came to Toronto just to talk to Mo and Mo flew him in like that lol

Ali would of been in town either way as once again we were all on Julians boat cruise which was last friday.

stretchthetruth
06-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Oh please don't let Mo fool you and make it seem like Ali came to Toronto just to talk to Mo and Mo flew him in like that lol

Ali would of been in town either way as once again we were all on Julians boat cruise which was last friday.

is it true rohan was released?

trane
06-17-2009, 10:21 AM
I just think that a player like De Guzman who can play as an Attacking Central mid in this league, would do more to raise the overal level of play on the team, then a striker, who would still have to rely on good service.

If De Guzman happens, and he has two guys like Gerba and Dichio up front, and guys like De Ro, Guevara, Vitti to paly with him he will create opportunites and help keep the team organized. Gerba and DIchio both now how to put the ball in the net when given the chance.

Yohan
06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I just think that a player like De Guzman who can play as an Attacking Central mid in this league, would do more to raise the overal level of play on the team, then a striker, who would still have to rely on good service.

If De Guzman happens, and he has two guys like Gerba and Dichio up front, and guys like De Ro, Guevara, Vitti to paly with him he will create opportunites and help keep the team organized. Gerba and DIchio both now how to put the ball in the net when given the chance.
creating chances from the midfield is NOT TFC's main problem right now...

though only a moron would turn down JDG playing for TFC

fetajr
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM

i agree... non of the guys we have can get the ball to a "DP striker" in opportune moments. IF you don't have a guy who can do that well and consistently, then a DP striker will be a bust. Get a high caliber guy (DeGuz) in the attacking midfield position and it will provide much more opportunities for non-dp striker to put it in the net.

Schelotto is usually in on every colombus goal, playing in the attacking midfield position, making the strikers look better than they really are....thats the kind of impact i see DeGuz bringing

trane
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
^ That is one example as is Freddy in Seatle.

Yohan,

The issue is not whether TFC main problem is creating chances. Signing a DP should not be done to just address one deficiency but for the long term future of the club. That is why I thinkg a AM/CM may be a better signing then a DP striker, he has influence on more aspects of the game then a striker. As I said if Gerba is Signed and we still have Dichio we have at least two striker that should be able to score consistently in this leauge. De Ro, Guevarra, and JDG himself will be able to contribute from the mid.

Stouffville_RPB
06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't know trane. That midfield become very crowded. I see Vitti moving to mid with the release of Ricketts and Smith plus the signing of Gerba.

I don't like the idea of TFC becoming so much like the CMNT. This team had leadership issues in the locker room during WCQ those problems would just be TFC's problems then. Love JDG but don't like TFC = CMNT.

Shway
06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Gerba Has Not Officially Signed

Jack
06-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Gerba Has Not Officially Signed
Thanks, Mo, for clearing that up.

English Rachel
06-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm listening to Jack

Ageroo
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm listening to Jack

What about me...I thought I said you believe in me as well.....:p

Boris
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM

back to topic ;)
:D

Shaughno
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM

She just believes you're an idiot. Turns out, it's confirmed as well. :rofl:

Ageroo
06-17-2009, 10:48 AM
She just believes you're an idiot. Turns out, it's confirmed as well. :rofl:

Man......you know how to sting a brother......But I can confirm that as well! :D

trane
06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I do not care about this that much, but why would a thread discusing the merits of signing a a AM instead of striker be merged about one about him possibly being signed?

Sonny Cheeba
06-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't know trane. That midfield become very crowded. I see Vitti moving to mid with the release of Ricketts and Smith plus the signing of Gerba.

I don't like the idea of TFC becoming so much like the CMNT. This team had leadership issues in the locker room during WCQ those problems would just be TFC's problems then. Love JDG but don't like TFC = CMNT.

JDG gets frustrated enough playing for Canada too...

trane
06-17-2009, 10:54 AM

The midfield is crowded, I agree, but none of them are of the caliber of JDG. Most teams today win from the mid, most teams, most top players are Attacking Mids second striker types. Kaka, Messi, Ronaldo, Gerrard ect. ect. But I agree having to many CMNT players may be a problem. However, if you look at Italy, the top four teams, tend to have at least 3 to 4 playerson the Azzurri, the only thing that the scheduales to not conflict like they do here.

Jack
06-17-2009, 10:57 AM

Those issues stemmed from Paul Stalteri and the fact that Dale Mitchell was a weak manager.

YoungBlood113
06-17-2009, 11:14 PM

I dont understand why so many people are saying they want JDG playin in a top league instead of TFC. The guy's what? close to 30? theres not much more development in a player of his age. He wouldnt get worse playin on the TFC and its not like the guys the future for out national squad, hes close to the end of the line so a move to TFC wouldnt hurt us at all on the CMNT side. For TFC we would score alott more goals with De Guzman, if him and Gerba sign i think TFC would be the best team on paper and would probably be near the top in goal scoring. You can have the best striker in the world and be shit if he doesnt have a good playmaking midfield. On the other hand if u have a strong mid which opens space you can make a terrible striker look amazing.

gmacpheetfc
06-17-2009, 11:19 PM
he's not coming i talked to jonathan yesterday and jermaine coleman today this is the biggest bullshit thread

Please close

SilverSamurai
06-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Those issues stemmed from Paul Stalteri and the fact that Dale Mitchell was a weak manager.
Ah man you said "his" name. You're supposed to refer to "him" as "O Fearless Leader":rolleyes:
Anyways that's pretty much why their were problems... and then theirs the turf. lol

Jamaicanadian
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I heard this JDG is gonna sign with TFC rumour from outta left field today.....
My source has absolutely no reason to lie to me....As far as I am concerned there is smoke...

Marc"2L"
06-22-2009, 09:34 PM
OMFG!

Ageroo
06-22-2009, 09:35 PM
My source has absolutely no reason to lie to me....As far as I am concerned there is smoke...

Don't play with a dougla........:) I think my heart just stopped!

Jamaicanadian
06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
^^I had the same reaction brah...lol...We'll see..................

Daveisonfire
06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Jamaicanadian tells no lies....hmm I like the sounds of that

Let's hope its true, not that I will get my hopes up

Ossington Mental Youth
06-22-2009, 10:14 PM
That would be pretty insane but i wont hold my breath

Marc"2L"
06-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Gerba is announced tomorrow. Press gets told to come back a week from Wednesday

JDG becomes our first DP, On Canada day.

prizby
06-22-2009, 10:20 PM

could your source have been reading these boards :O

Marc"2L"
06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
could your source have been reading these boards :O

I assume he's intelligent enough to label a "source" properly.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-22-2009, 10:30 PM
This is fucking cruel.

Please stop.

Because of this board's cruel, fantasy-inspiring rumours, last week I dreamt about a TFC formation featuring JDG, DeRo and Guevara slowly circling the middle of the pitch as a 3-man central-midfielder-by-committee. Then DeRo yelled "Let's Go Voltron Force" and the 3 mids jumped in the air to form a 15-foot tall wheeling, swerving, diving footy-lion who scored goals at will and instantly demoralized the opposition with its power and trickery.

No, wait, that was Shaolin Soccer after 6 grams of mushrooms...but you get the point...I pea-brain no handle JDG rumours good. Ouch hurty. Please stop.

/hallucination

Roogsy
06-22-2009, 10:35 PM
:lol:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-22-2009, 11:18 PM
[quote=Jamaicanadian;590340]I heard this JDG is gonna sign with TFC rumour from outta left field today.....
My source has absolutely no reason to lie to me....As far as I am concerned there is smoke...[/quot

So this YOungblood13 isnt on the crack pipe after all!.....:)

This was posted a week ago and the dude was bang on with RICKETTS!....

JC..when do you figure this is going down.....JUly 15th transfer window!:D

fac this can t be happening......can it!?? :yum:

Yohan
06-23-2009, 12:07 AM
If JDG does sign, TFC has the best midfield in MLS by a mile *drool*

Pookie
06-23-2009, 05:12 AM
So this YOungblood13 isnt on the crack pipe after all!.....:)

This was posted a week ago and the dude was bang on with RICKETTS!....

Rumours may turn out to be true. But just to argue the other side of the coin, pretty much everyone had a feeling that Ricketts was going to be released... well, everyone except the one holding a "guaranteed contract mate".... Ricketts himself.

SuckerTash
06-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Because of this board's cruel, fantasy-inspiring rumours, last week I dreamt about a TFC formation featuring JDG, DeRo and Guevara slowly circling the middle of the pitch as a 3-man central-midfielder-by-committee. Then DeRo yelled "Let's Go Voltron Force" and the 3 mids jumped in the air to form a 15-foot tall wheeling, swerving, diving footy-lion who scored goals at will and instantly demoralized the opposition with its power and trickery.
/hallucination

And Afrika Bambaataa formed the head.

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Hmmm... I'm putting myself down as a 'believer'.

VPjr
06-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't believe that Julian will be signing with TFC. I have my reasons why I believe this.

However, a good source told me that, while Julian has indicated his desire to return to Europe, TFC and MLS have not stopped chasing him and are prepared to sweeten the deal. I'm trying to get confirmation.

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
I still believe, just for the record.

Jamaicanadian
06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't believe that Julian will be signing with TFC. I have my reasons why I believe this.

However, a good source told me that, while Julian has indicated his desire to return to Europe, TFC and MLS have not stopped chasing him and are prepared to sweeten the deal. I'm trying to get confirmation.

Like I inferred.......where there's smoke..............

:flare:

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Still believin' lol

Do you believe, Jamaicacanadian?

FluSH
06-23-2009, 09:30 AM

Could it be because La Liga can't afford to pay it's players =P

Jamaicanadian
06-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Still believin' lol

Do you believe, Jamaicacanadian?

English Rachel! If you asked me this a few weeks ago I would have told you no :).......I believe that they are talking and most importantly he may be listening.....I dont usually buy into the rumour mongering and hype....

Flush...there may be many factors at play here...In business timing is everything!!!

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Get on it Dino.....MLSE won't give up.

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
English Rachel! If you asked me this a few weeks ago I would have told you no :).......I believe that they are talking and most importantly he may be listening.....I dont usually buy into the rumour mongering and hype....

Flush...there may be many factors at play here...In business timing is everything!!!

I'm not buying in, I am just believing. I have good senses, no sources, just senses.....

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-23-2009, 10:07 AM
And Afrika Bambaataa formed the head.

You too, huh?

TFCmatty
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
This thread is in desperate need of a little....

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ip1zsUIosoA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ip1zsUIosoA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Cambridge_Red
06-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Thats just ..no

Get In There
06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Thats just ..no

don't be diss'n the journey

detroit what?

B

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 02:30 PM
balls - how do you embed on here?

SilverSamurai
06-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm not buying in, I am just believing. I have good senses, no sources, just senses.....
Spidey sense is tingling?

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Indeedy

Cambridge_Red
06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
For youtube

Go Advanced

type the youtube code for example http//youtube.com/ v=idunfucinknow

you would click Go Advanced click the youtube button and enter[youtube]idunfucinknow[/youtube

This has been your pro tip for the day.

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Thank you *mwah*

Cambridge_Red
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
And please nasty assed tight jeans from 70's belong in the 70's.

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 02:40 PM
fCAUjqRZCpg

Hope that worked...:sheep:

Nodoubtguy
06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fCAUjqRZCpg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param (http://www.youtube.com/v/fCAUjqRZCpg&hl=en&fs=1&%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam) name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fCAUjqRZCpg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hope that worked...:sheep:

lol.....embed FAIL!!!!

Cambridge_Red
06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
nope lol one sec

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
lol.....embed FAIL!!!!

FUCK OFF lol

Cambridge_Red
Everyone has a first day

English Rachel
I ALREADY DID IT!!! OK!!!

Jeez, thread police ;)

Nodoubtguy
06-23-2009, 02:43 PM
FUCK OFF lol

lol......:rolleyes:
<3<3<3<3<3

English Rachel
<3 <3 <3

Now, just BELIEVE

Cambridge_Red
Ahh there it is good work, it usually takes 10 attempts by most people lol..

Nodoubtguy
06-23-2009, 02:44 PM
<3 <3 <3

Now, just BELIEVE

http://pastorcole.com/I%20Believe-006.JPG

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Patience is a virtue that none of you have ;)

On my other board, it is a different process - That's an old board so doesn't have the luxury of a YouTube button.

Master, I will not falter again. Forgive me.

Cambridge_Red
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Welcome to 2007 hope you enjoy your stay. haha I'll piss off now

Hitcho
06-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Haha - guys, you might want to embed Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer instead, but what the hell, there's no harm in hoping...

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Welcome to 2007 hope you enjoy your stay. haha I'll piss off now

I'm grateful for your help, even as impatient as it was ;)

English Simon, keep your negativity to yourself!

VPjr
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Get on it Dino.....MLSE won't give up.

There are some new rumours floating around but i don't believe them. Someone is putting these rumours out there but I'm not sure where they are coming from. MLSE is denying the validity of the rumours but they always do that....they denied they were signing Gerba but, shock of all shocks, he signed today.

The money Julian was offered is significant. his preference is to go back to Spain. He'll have to decide whether he's willing to play in MLS and collect big money (with no fear of payments being missed) or going back to Spain, play at the highest level and HOPE that he'll get paid every 2 weeks. He's already owed more than $1 million by Deportivo that he'll have to fight to recoup.

If I were him, I'd go back to Europe. He's too good and too young to pass up the opportunity to continue playing vs. the best in the world week in-week out. However, if he took the money, I'd never criticize him.

Beach_Red
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
If I were him, I'd go back to Europe. He's too good and too young to pass up the opportunity to continue playing vs. the best in the world week in-week out. However, if he took the money, I'd never criticize him.

Yes, the gauranteed money is probably a big factor and you're right, not something he should ever be criticized for.

The rumours tossed around here seemed to say the money was good but the length of the contract was the problem. MLSE would like the contract to be longer than he does.

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Well the plot thickens, but it seems like every club is having money issues except here.....will be interesting to see how thins turns out. Thanks for the info as always Dino.

cy43
06-23-2009, 03:03 PM
If I were him I'd accept a two year deal to play in TO just to feel it out and let the economy stabilize back in Spain. Why not? make a boat load of cash, be loved, and hang with old friends!

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-23-2009, 03:05 PM
It would be great if we could sign JDG, but wouldn’t that necessitate a number of roster moves? It would leave TFC with more depth than they could use in the centre of midfield.

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 03:06 PM
If I were him I'd accept a two year deal to play in TO just to feel it out and let the economy stabilize back in Spain. Why not? make a boat load of cash, be loved, and hang with old friends!

Says you and every other TFC fan on the planet......:p I wouldn't complain.....

Dirk Diggler
06-23-2009, 03:07 PM

If the MLSE is offering him a longer term contract, that is completely understandable because they would like to see some sort of return on their investment (in terms of performance primarily). There is no way that he'll be able to make an impact in a single year so yeah, ATLEAST 2 years should be in order ... although I would ideally like to see a 3 year contract.

Marc"2L"
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
He's 28, they're probably trying to get him for 4 or 5.

Nuvinho
06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
4yr, $10M........wasn't that the offer I heard somewhere?

brad
06-23-2009, 03:27 PM

They guy on the Voyagers board that reported the initial amount said it was a 3 year contract.

kodiakTFC
06-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Does anyone think he'll be worth DP money if he chooses to come in say... 3-4 years? I don't know for three reasons..

1. He isn't a big name that will draw, frankly outside of the niche hardcore supporters he is rather unknown.

2. He is a defensive midfield although he could likely play AM in MLS.

3. He'll be over 30.

Beach_Red
06-23-2009, 03:30 PM

Yes, that's what's been mentioned.

rocker
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Does anyone think he'll be worth DP money if he chooses to come in say... 3-4 years? I don't know for three reasons..

1. He isn't a big name that will draw, frankly outside of the niche hardcore supporters he is rather unknown.

2. He is a defensive midfield although he could likely play AM in MLS.

3. He'll be over 30.

not in 4 years... but who knows... many of the DPs who came in to this league have been 32 or older.

Anyhow, in 3-4 years the rules surrounding DPs may be totally different and the cap should be higher, so it wouldn't matter. I don't think in 4 years MLS will still have the 2.2 million cap or the 1-DP-per-team@400K situation. He could come in for 800K or something at that age.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM

cant see him turning down that cake......he wouldnt make close to that in europe....

Most players go to europe to fetch the $$$....he has a chance to come home and get it!

if this is indeed the #'s.??........he'll be sighning with tfc shorlty!:drinking:

Marc"2L"
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
If JDG wants DP money until the end of his career now's the time.
Otherwise I agree with the idea that in 3 or 4, he won't be "effective" enough as a DP.

Right now they can market him as still in his prime. In a few years not so much and I don't think he'll be a big enough name to draw attention at age 31 or 32.

But a Canadian in his prime? Sure.

BakaGaijin
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Well the plot thickens, but it seems like every club is having money issues except here.....will be interesting to see how thins turns out. Thanks for the info as always Dino.

.....and just think if we make the group stage of the Champions League.....

Rough math.......1 home game v.s. PR + 3 home games in the group stage.......20 000 tickets x $40 average price = $3.2 million total in additional ticket revenue for those four games with nearly zero expenses.

Also, they would have box seat revenue and concessions and so on.........

MFBODD
06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
3. He'll be over 30.

I don't think the + 30 age factor can be applied to MLS. Look who leads the league in goals and on our club as well.

VPjr
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
if this is indeed the #'s.??........he'll be sighning with tfc shorlty!:drinking:

The numbers being discussed are not far off. It's a lot of Money.

Don't be so sure he'll be signing shortly. I sincerrely doubt it but I'll only know for sure if/when he signs a new deal in Spain.

if it was about the money, he would have signed already. If I was his agent, i'd be pulling my hair out.:cryin:

But JDG is living out his dreams by playing in Spain and that is a big deal that should not be underestimated. I respect his way of thinking.

I know I'll get criticized for saying this but Playing for TFC is not really a "dream come true" for any big time player...not yet. Maybe one day.

FluSH
06-23-2009, 04:10 PM
There are some new rumours floating around but i don't believe them. Someone is putting these rumours out there but I'm not sure where they are coming from. MLSE is denying the validity of the rumours but they always do that....they denied they were signing Gerba but, shock of all shocks, he signed today.

The money Julian was offered is significant. his preference is to go back to Spain. He'll have to decide whether he's willing to play in MLS and collect big money (with no fear of payments being missed) or going back to Spain, play at the highest level and HOPE that he'll get paid every 2 weeks. He's already owed more than $1 million by Deportivo that he'll have to fight to recoup.

If he goes back to Europe... I wouldn't go back to Spain...

NF-FC
I know I'd be torn if i was JDG. Live out your dreams in Spain playing top flight football and worrying about bounced checks, or play with your buddies in your home town in a lesser league for big time guaranteed money.

coin toss?

Hitcho

Don't be so sure he'll be signing shortly. I sincerrely doubt it but I'll only know for sure if/when he signs a new deal in Spain.

if it was about the money, he would have signed already. If I was his agent, i'd be pulling my hair out.:cryin:

But JDG is living out his dreams by playing in Spain and that is a big deal that should not be underestimated. I respect his way of thinking.

I know I'll get criticized for saying this but Playing for TFC is not really a "dream come true" for any big time player...not yet. Maybe one day.

Depends if you view it as your home town club or not. Because that can alter perceptions significantly.

Lucky Strike
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM

It was for DeRo, that's a good enough start for me... :)

Beach_Red
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM

I don't know why anyone would critisize you for saying that, we're not delusional here.

But you're right, while his agent is out beating the bushes in Europe with TFC's offer in hand, he's likely also pulling out his hair if the money being offered isn't very close to the same amount.

TFC have known all along that they'd have to "overpay" a DP, that's what they meant al along by, "the right one." If you're going to overpay a player, there has to be more than on-field considerations.

Pigfynn
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
^^ He has been quoted as saying he is very much a supporter of TFC and that he follows our results. I think it's safe to say he feels this is his home town club.

English Rachel
06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
He'd be a hero here. Not a 2 bit skank who doesn't even get paid... lol

HERO!!!!!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!!!!

Why be a little fish in a swamp when you can be a killer whale at sea world?

Yohan
06-23-2009, 04:27 PM

HERO!!!!!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!!!!

i think you got that saying mixed up, rachie ;)

Shakes McQueen
06-23-2009, 04:29 PM

HERO!!!!!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!!!!

Did you just call JDG a two-bit skank? LOL

- Scott

VPjr
06-23-2009, 04:44 PM

HERO!!!!!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!!!!

It's not like the entire Spanish 1st division is not paying its bills. Last I checked, Real Madrid just about spend $200 million + on transfer fees for 2 players. Barca is not hurting. Sevilla is doing fine.

There are some very solid small teams and some very solid big teams. Then there are a few in the middle that are struggling. Valencia is the worst. Deportivo is hurting too.

I'm pretty certain that if he were to stay in Spain, he'll land somewhere solid. I don't imagine he wants to deal with the BS that is inevitable if your team is not paying wages.

VPjr
06-23-2009, 04:47 PM

DeRo is not JDG. different people, Different dreams.

DeRo didn't enjoy his time in Europe. Jules, from all accounts, loves the pressure of playing on the big stage and his performances against big teams like Madrid, Barca, Sevilla, Valencia, etc... shows that he gets up big time for the big games. The lifestyle in Spain is also fantastic.

I have no doubt that one day he wants to wear TFC red. I just can't believe it will be now, unless the offers from Europe dry up. The recession is having an impact on Euro football, that's for sure.

FluSH
06-23-2009, 05:24 PM

There are some people that want to live their dreams... and their are others who make dreams happen... Guys Like DeRo... literally writting the History of Soccer in Toronto... making dreams happen for everyone in his home town...

If JDG signs with a team in Spain... so be it... I prefer a team of trailblazers who are not afraid to take on the challenge of establishing soccer in North America. If JDG is considering the offer by TFC then GREAT...however if he downright snubbed us... and he want's to come back afterwards in his later years... well I hope by then that TFC snubs him...

Dirk Diggler
06-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Why not?

gmacpheetfc
06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
racism might be a motive
could play European Soccer elsewhere
Deportivo Barely managed to pay him in full if they even did

Big Bruva
06-23-2009, 11:10 PM

He loves Spain.

Broadview
06-23-2009, 11:11 PM
He loves Spain.

Does he love Toronto?

Big Bruva
06-23-2009, 11:11 PM

DeRo is not a big time player.

VPjr is talking about big players that play in La Liga, Prem, Seria A etc

Big Bruva
06-23-2009, 11:15 PM
^^ He has been quoted as saying he is very much a supporter of TFC and that he follows our results. I think it's safe to say he feels this is his home town club.

He for sure loves going to TFC matches with his boys and loves the fact there is a teanm in his home city i can tell you that for a fact.

*If he comes it will be coz he wants to be around his friends on the team and a lot of them off the pitch.

*Family

*Just being in his home city in general

I hope he does not come yet and i think it will have to be a crazy amount for him to consider it but it helps that Ali has now joined the team too now.

Big Bruva
06-23-2009, 11:21 PM
racism might be a motive
could play European Soccer elsewhere
Deportivo Barely managed to pay him in full if they even did

Julian doesn't care whatsoever about racism to be honest lol

Big Bruva
06-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Does he love Toronto?

Ya he does but MLS is no La Liga Broadview lol

BC101
06-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Why not?
hahaah dirk... I hope that WAS a joke question?

c1LS6Lj4ehM

36OPNTJGUMU

I could go on but wont hijack.:)

Jamaicanadian
06-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Julian doesn't care whatsoever about racism to be honest lol

Too much Spanish gyal a trow dem panty afta im...nu true B :D