PDA

View Full Version : A little visual evidence of Huckerby's brilliance

jloome
06-02-2008, 08:29 PM
So what up with all the people who aren't impressed with Huckerby, either as a DP or just as our striking solution in general. Watch some of his goals from the last five years (beginning around the 1 min. mark) and tell me this guy wouldn't tear 15 a season out of MLS if he wanted.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SZRPGhZfsOI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SZRPGhZfsOI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ratven
06-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Nice, looks good.

TFC OZZ
06-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Look, clearly if Huckerby could still do that everyone would take him in a heartbeat. Even if he could do like 85% of that he'd be a good signing. The fact is, I don't think he still can. Make no mistake, if we do sign him, I hope he plays the best football of his life, and shuts me the hell up. But until then I say he doesn't have enough left. Huckerby's just one of those guys though, he's incredibly hard to dislike. I love the guy, but I just don't think he can do it anymore.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Dont have to watch it to impress me!! Ive been a hucks backer since day one! He would be the last piece to the puzzle!!!.....fuck Celtic....and come here!

He is a supporters player!! Canarie fans died when hucks was released!!

T_Mizz
06-02-2008, 08:46 PM
That's unfair to say that remember the Robert videos I mean the guy is fantastic but not as good as his videos showed. These are not only Highlights aka his best moments but also they're highlights of his career not the past season, people grow old and lose touch

T_Mizz
06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Having said that the video was fairly impressive

Northern Soul
06-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Love that the video is to Oasis.

Huckerby > Cunningham.

ExiledRed
06-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Look, clearly if Huckerby could still do that everyone would take him in a heartbeat. Even if he could do like 85% of that he'd be a good signing. The fact is, I don't think he still can.

Look at the goal at 4:20

His last goal for Norwich.....how recent was that?

Dirk Diggler
06-02-2008, 10:15 PM
The compilation is good but lets get things in perspective here....It was essentially a highlight package...hardly anything to go by. I can create a compilation of Jeff Cunningham's 98 MLS goals, including the ones he scored this season no less, and there will be some guy in Norwich wondering how many new holes he would tear up in the CCC next year.

tfc_4_ever
06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Huckerby= Class

J .
06-02-2008, 11:08 PM
for the right price, yeah I would take him, if he comes cheaper than Blanco he could be a steal.

ag futbol
06-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Jesus christ blanco is the second hightest player in the league, he better be way less than that.

brad
06-03-2008, 06:18 AM
The compilation is good but lets get things in perspective here....It was essentially a highlight package...hardly anything to go by. I can create a compilation of Jeff Cunningham's 98 MLS goals, including the ones he scored this season no less, and there will be some guy in Norwich wondering how many new holes he would tear up in the CCC next year.

x2.

Highlight reel clips are useless when it comes to judging a player.

2 things worry me about Huckerby.

1:His injury problems
2:This quote from Gordon Strachan "Darren's a scorer of great goals, what we need is a great goal scorer." We need the latter.

Oldtimer
06-03-2008, 07:58 AM
So many of the goals depended on speed.

When a player gets older, he slows down.
Would he do well today, I don't know.

Jeff Cunningham used to be one of MLS' top scorers, for example.

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Oldtimer, I agree to a point. This man is years ahead of Cunny though. Cunny has speed and only speed. Huckerby has some serious talent. While he may have lost some of that speed, some of those goals are fairly recent. The last one, being this past season. Shows he does still have some speed, enough to trouble defenders. My biggest worry is the injuries. If he can stay injury free, I'll have him in a heartbeat.

Play him alongside Dichio and you'll see Dichio's talent shine. He won't have to push so far forward to chase balls all the time and can focus on doing what he does best, bringing balls down and distributing.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-03-2008, 08:32 AM
I dont doubt this guy has talent, i just want a bigger profile DP.

brad
06-03-2008, 08:34 AM
I dont doubt this guy has talent, i just want a bigger profile DP.

I want a DP who will score consistently. I don't care how big their profile is.

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I would not give Huckerby DP money considering who we've signed for non DP status.

The Kingpin
06-03-2008, 08:47 AM

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking...

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 08:55 AM
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking...

Less than a month ago.

On May 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_4), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008), Huckerby scored in his final game for the club in a 4-1 defeat away at Sheffield Wednesday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Wednesday). Two days later it was announced that his contract would not be renewed. It was suggested that his future lies in the Major League Soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer) in the USA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA).

Ossington Mental Youth
06-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Sorry, what i meant to say was

I would not give Huckerby DP money considering who we've signed for non DP status.

I want a DP who will score consistently.

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Exactly. :lol:

Cantstoptherock
06-03-2008, 09:35 AM
If he's signed and plays alongside Dichio, I guess that means the successful 4-5-1 goes out the window?

NF-FC
06-03-2008, 09:39 AM
^ i think dichio goes out the window

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 09:40 AM
If he's signed and plays alongside Dichio, I guess that means the successful 4-5-1 goes out the window?

Considering we won 2-0 in what should be considered a successful 4-4-2 against the Galaxy, I'm not too concerned if this were to be the case. ;)

Technorgasm
06-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Love that the video is to Oasis.

Huckerby > Cunningham.

Hucks IS a class above a LOT of the strikers in MLS.

But this cunny bashing is getting out of hand. His qualities of pace and endurance are a GREAT fit for TFC, no he is not the answer to all our forward needs but you dont go getting close to 100 goals in MLS for nothing.. . at least he strikes the ball rather than pass towards the net like. . umm. . someone he plays with. <prepares for lashing>

TFC need a new solution up front. period. Hucks! come to T.O!

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Hucks IS a class above a LOT of the strikers in MLS.

But this cunny bashing is getting out of hand. His qualities of pace and endurance are a GREAT fit for TFC, no he is not the answer to all our forward needs but you dont go getting close to 100 goals in MLS for nothing.. . at least he strikes the ball rather than pass towards the net like. . umm. . someone he plays with. <prepares for lashing>

TFC need a new solution up front. period. Hucks! come to T.O!

Agreed on all points mate.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Considering we won 2-0 in what should be considered a successful 4-4-2 against the Galaxy, I'm not too concerned if this were to be the case. ;)

Not to threadjack but i still saw the formation we usually play on saturday
(4-5-1, 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1), Smith was running back far to often for me to think it was a 4-4-2...

Technorgasm
06-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Agreed on all points mate.

Well Im getting tired o fit.
Who else remembers a month of scoreless games?
Now that the Forwards are getting much better service, and confidence is high, everyone here goes into the ground expecting not only a goal. . but the 3 points as well.

Cunningham is a big part of that, HE scored the game winner away to LA, and then the other against them. . . ok, not the strongest MLS team ATM, but he delivered a double to us, and needs to be shown some respect.

Id take Cunny over:
Moreno (DCU)
Twellman (NER)
Barret (CHI)

HEll, a list of others. . . trust me, we could be doing a LOT worse.

ATM we are at "Needs Improvement" but I still feel that before the 08 season is through. CUnny will be a Hero for TFC.

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah I guess, they seemed to play it a little different from the usual flow of play from that formation.

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 10:10 AM
I fucking hate Taylor Twatman but I'd take him over Cunny.

Cantstoptherock
06-03-2008, 10:24 AM

that was also a supposed 4-4-2 with 5 regulars out of the lineup against a VERY weak Galaxy team without their best pair.

The question becomes, IF he signs and IF he plays alongside Dichio and IF they use a 4-4-2, which midfielder sits?

Ossington Mental Youth
06-03-2008, 10:27 AM
that was also a supposed 4-4-2 with 5 regulars out of the lineup against a VERY weak Galaxy team without their best pair.

The question becomes, IF he signs and IF he plays alongside Dichio and IF they use a 4-4-2, which midfielder sits?

Never going to happen, itd be the fucking stupidest tactical move ever, Dichio sits

Ossington Mental Youth
06-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Look at our history playing 4-5-1 and look at our history playing 4-4-2.

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 10:34 AM
That doesn't mean it can't work. :p

jm5k
06-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Isn't Huck going to Celtic?

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Nothing confirmed or agreed from what I've seen so far. Only interest.

jloome
06-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Actually, most of those goals are from the past three seasons. And p. much all of them while playing as a wide forward, not striker.

I should also note that the team ahead of us in terms of consistency of performance right now is Chicago. We have a couple of Blanco quality playmakers in Guevara and Robert, and Huckerby is a better finisher than Rolfe or Barrett.

ensco
06-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Well Im getting tired o fit.
Who else remembers a month of scoreless games?
Now that the Forwards are getting much better service, and confidence is high, everyone here goes into the ground expecting not only a goal. . but the 3 points as well.

Cunningham is a big part of that, HE scored the game winner away to LA, and then the other against them. . . ok, not the strongest MLS team ATM, but he delivered a double to us, and needs to be shown some respect.

Id take Cunny over:
Moreno (DCU)
Twellman (NER)
Barret (CHI)

I am seriously glad you're not running the team :)

Cunny has 5 goals for us in the 25 games he's played for TFC (most of them as a starter). How many close-in high-quality chances has Cunny missed for Toronto? I'd guess 25.

His conversion rate on good chances is way below those players you named above (I wouldn't want Barrett for other reasons)

TFC OZZ
06-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I fully respect Cunny, and I agree that I would take him over Moreno and Barrett, but no, I would definatly take Twellman over him. His work rate, and simply his skill are brilliant compared to CUnny.

RealG-TFC
06-03-2008, 05:55 PM

The last goal was the shittiest of the video.

sweetlemon69
06-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Not really news but im sure everyone is already aware ,just a new article:
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED27%20Jun%202008%2015%3A42%3A05%3A873

invictusTFC
06-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Huckerby could probably help out this team but he isn't DP calibre and he definitely isn't the same player he was 4 or 5 seasons ago. I would agree perhaps and say that he is better than Cunningham.

Rawkus_420
06-27-2008, 03:02 PM
I have always loved Huckerby and think he would make a great DP for about 2-3 years, sign him what do we have to lose, he can play striker in this league for sure! Then worry about a new DP when the time comes, and this allow s for cap space to make other signings...Huckerby is class.

jloome
06-27-2008, 11:52 PM
He's very skillfull, very dangerous on the dribble, which is why managers have preferred to push him wide. But he's also a very good finisher, way out of Cunny's league. I'm not sure you'd need DP money, because they can use allocation cash as well, a la Barros Schellotto.

Any guy who regularly scores 1-in-4 as a winger in the CCC and 1-in-2 as a striker is going to do well in MLS.

felipe
06-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Love it!

scooter
06-28-2008, 05:15 PM
yes get him here to help for a couple of years
we need that quick focussed finish and it will deepen our bench even more