PDA

View Full Version : Issues With Cameras

iansmcl
06-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes, another security is bad topic!

Today was my mum's birthday and I got her a new camera with an attachable 55mm lens. Of course, since she was coming to the game tonight she wanted to bring it, so I checked the BMO website to see if the lens was too large or what not. The website said lenses that are 75mm or larger lenses are not permitted at the game so I figured it was safe to bring.

We got to the gate and they asked us to remove the lens so they could see what size it was (it didn't need to be removed as it's printed on the lens but the young lady made an honest and easily forgivable mistake). They inspected it and said it was okay and let us in.

A few minutes into the game we had two secuirty guards rush over and ask to inspect the lens. We showed them the lens and explained that security at the gate had already okayed it. They then said it was fine and left.

She took a few pictures (managed to get every frame of the first goal aside from when the goal was actually scored) until around the tenth minute another security guard came over and asked what size the lens was. My mum was getting very frustrated and explained that this was now the third time we've had it checked and he said we cannot have a lens that big at BMO. I said that on the site it says 80mm and he countered saying you can only have up to 75mm. He then walked off, leaving us with no real resolution and my mum put the camera away, so as to not cause any further issues (regardless of whether or not they're wrong).

I'll be calling my ticket rep at the next opportunity to make a complaint regardless of whether we're wrong, simply because of the inconsitencies between the three separate security checks.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea of the concrete rules for detachable lenses at BMO though or if this is another issue that is being dealt with differently by different guest services/security guards.

Chevy
06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure of the official policy, but I do know that at the ACC, Rogers Centre and obviously now at BMO there is little consistency between policy and enforcement. This goes for regular and video cameras.

MFG1
06-13-2009, 10:56 PM
I had almost the exact same problem as you last year. I just dont bring it anymore, Its a really stupid nuisance. They treated me like shit and literally made me return it to the car after having it in spected and about half an hour later told me to leave and put it in my car. I had a 55 mm lens on it , they didnt care because they lens could come off was their reasoning.good luck i think you will lose this one

iansmcl
06-13-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm not too worried about winning/losing this one. We've already decided not to bring it again. I'm just hoping, most likely futily, that with enough complaints security will become more consistent.

Lennon
06-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Haha this sounds like me getting checked for ID .. first when I was buying the beer ... then when I was drinking the beer .... then again when I was leaving the stadium with my beer

TFC*FAN
06-13-2009, 11:21 PM
I actually spoke with the security guard concerning your camera issue. He advised me that it was one of the head security people that told him to go and check on your mom's camera, and that he himself had no issue with it. That also explains why he wasn't sure exactly what he was looking for in terms of specs when he approached you both.

Even more frustrating was how after they just left the two of you, they decided to congregate on the top row right behind you.

I would definitely let your rep know how the situation made both you and your mom feel.

Ever thought that they're just picking on you because you used to cheer for Edson Buddle??

JonO
06-13-2009, 11:21 PM
The third guard was right (you even post it in your first paragraph - 75mm and up is not allowed). That being said - I agree the inconsistency and overzealousness of these guards when it comes to cameras is a little extreme.

iansmcl
06-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I actually spoke with the security guard concerning your camera issue. He advised me that it was one of the head security people that told him to go and check on your mom's camera, and that he himself had no issue with it. That also explains why he wasn't sure exactly what he was looking for in terms of specs when he approached you both.

Even more frustrating was how after they just left the two of you, they decided to congregate on the top row right behind you.

I would definitely let your rep know how the situation made both you and your mom feel.

Ever thought that they're just picking on you because you used to cheer for Edson Buddle??

Thanks for clarifying with the guard himself. We were both too frustrated to bother.

Maybe they do have it out for me after Buddle scored last game! ;)

And out of curiousity, who are you? i.e. which seat?

iansmcl
06-14-2009, 12:08 AM
The third guard was right (you even post it in your first paragraph - 75mm and up is not allowed).

But the lens we had with us was only 55mm, which was the first cause of our frustration.

stretchthetruth
06-14-2009, 12:12 AM
some dude was doing what appeared to be random ticket checks in row 20 of 110 tonight... wtf is that all about?

Yohan
06-14-2009, 12:45 AM
speaking of security guards, there was some dude named Chris at 112 looking like he wanted to flex his muscles and toss someone out.

saw him eye Mr Motherwell before the game even started (sorry, his board name just slipped my mind right now). and he was staring down at 112 pretty much whole game, looking for an excuse

BC101
06-14-2009, 12:46 AM
LOL the issues i've had with camera's in BMO are many... somedays i can get in with 70-300 some days I can't get in with 55MM its terrible maybe they should have someone with a KNOWLEDGE of camera's check that stuff out instead of joe blow no knowledge.

iansmcl
06-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Yeah, they were all over 114/115 too... pretty sure they kicked one of the more vocal supporters out when he left the section to answer a phone call.

Wonder if they'd been told to keep a short leash on situations today or something? Or if they had a big meeting and yelled at all the guards and made them angry-sad.

BC101
06-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Yeah, they were all over 114/115 too... pretty sure they kicked one of the more vocal supporters out when he left the section to answer a phone call.

Wonder if they'd been told to keep a short leash on situations today or something? Or if they had a big meeting and yelled at all the guards and made them angry-sad.
probably LOL I think you were stood behind me in 114 cos I saw the incident you mentioned in the original post... Yet another foul up by security at BMO field...

grizzle
06-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Whats the big deal... do they really have that much time on their hands... let your mom take her pics imo.

gracos
06-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Random ticket check, in the Ultimate Fan seats, that was weird

Pookie
06-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Sorry about your experience.

Any thought as to why there is a limit on lenses in the first place? Does it have anything to do with the "official photographers" and the potential to upstage their work?

I know that with my DSLR, I know what lenses I can bring. Does this also apply to your traditional digital camera with zoom? Some of those can zoom past 75mm.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-14-2009, 11:24 AM
any lens 75 mm or less is ok...the security is over reacting again...there needs to be a meeting with all security staff and TFC management to get this crap sorted out with

Ron Manager
06-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for clarifying with the guard himself. We were both too frustrated to bother.

Maybe they do have it out for me after Buddle scored last game! ;)

And out of curiousity, who are you? i.e. which seat?

Myself (Tim) and TFC Fan (John) are the two guys right behind you, he is the big redhead.

06-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Some guy in the row ahead of me in 117 also got talked to by two security guards regarding his lense. He left, and returned 10 minutes later, without camera or lense. I guess it went back to his car.
Seemed strange to me, at the time.

spark
06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah it's totally bogus. I had a buddy come in a take pics the last home game last year against Chicago. HUGE lens (over 55mm for sure) snuck it in, walked all over the stadium all game taking shots etc ... amazing. Nobody said anything.

This year, vs Dallas (aka first day of the crackdown) i'm taking pics with my puny Lumix and no joke within 30 seconds I had a security guard on my back about not being allowed to stand there and get back to my seat (this was at the bottom of 104, not blocking anyone just chilling at the fence snapping a few). It's BS the mandates they are pushing with these guys this year.

Ageroo
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Myself (Tim) and TFC Fan (John) are the two guys right behind you, he is the big redhead.

I am still waiting for you guys to come down to see me.....:p I haven't had any issues really with my camera. Just one game bringing it in I got the third degree.......

The Kingpin
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
It's funny - because in the EPL lets you bring any camera in. And they are some tight bastards. I think this is a MLS/(Don Garber's NFL) type of cock up. This way you can pay for images of players I imagine whilst controlling other aspects as well. You won't win this one in my estimation as TFC have zero control of security and they never will - they have no ability to control the individuals they hire in any way shape or form.

Oblio2
06-15-2009, 11:51 AM
It's funny - because in the EPL lets you bring any camera in. And they are some tight bastards. I think this is a MLS/(Don Garber's NFL) type of cock up. This way you can pay for images of players I imagine whilst controlling other aspects as well. You won't win this one in my estimation as TFC have zero control of security and they never will - they have no ability to control the individuals they hire in any way shape or form.

I was at Spurs-Chelsea a couple of years ago and the Stewards stopped the guy in front of me taking pictures, due to the large lens.

The Kingpin
06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
I was at Spurs-Chelsea a couple of years ago and the Stewards stopped the guy in front of me taking pictures, due to the large lens.

Really? I've done it in Liverpool, Newcastle, Bradford, Huddersfield, York, Leeds, etc... Maybe it's a 'London' thing ;)

Oblio2
06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Really? I've done it in Liverpool, Newcastle, Bradford, Huddersfield, York, Leeds, etc... Maybe it's a 'London' thing ;)

:)
Yes, us Southerners do it differently......Something about Northerners saying we drink "Fairy Liquid"???

:drinking:

Cambridge_Red
06-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Are you bringing these in bags or over your shoulders? Don't advertise you have a big lens...

Steve
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM

Sorry, it's not an MLS thing, it's a TFC thing. More appropriately, it's probably a media thing. Since MLSE has a good relationship already with the Toronto media, they were probably asked to not allow a certain level of camera/lens in to ensure the 'togs (photographers) on the sidelines had a monopoly on printable pictures. It's not about fans paying for pictures from the league, it's about newspapers paying for pictures from different photo companies. Essentially, guys with cameras might get a lucky (or good) shot that will take away business from the paid 'togs, so to keep the peace, MLSE ensures that won't happen.

As an example, Pizza Hut Park has no such restrictions (though you cannot use your images for commercial use):

http://www.pizzahutpark.com/Home/GuestServices/PoliciesAZ/tabid/80/Default.aspx

Oblio2
06-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Sorry, it's not an MLS thing, it's a TFC thing. More appropriately, it's probably a media thing. Since MLSE has a good relationship already with the Toronto media, they were probably asked to not allow a certain level of camera/lens in to ensure the 'togs (photographers) on the sidelines had a monopoly on printable pictures. It's not about fans paying for pictures from the league, it's about newspapers paying for pictures from different photo companies. Essentially, guys with cameras might get a lucky (or good) shot that will take away business from the paid 'togs, so to keep the peace, MLSE ensures that won't happen.

As an example, Pizza Hut Park has no such restrictions (though you cannot use your images for commercial use):

http://www.pizzahutpark.com/Home/GuestServices/PoliciesAZ/tabid/80/Default.aspx

Pizza Hut Park is such a shit name!!!!

Eastend
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Print this out, highlight the appropriate line and keep it in your camera bag and pull it out when confronted.....

http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/stadium/prohibited_items/

Cameras with lenses 75mm or over or other audio visual equipment (eg. video cameras) are not allowed to be brought into the stadium without the appropriate working media credential.

Cambridge_Red
06-15-2009, 12:14 PM
P.S. This camera issue is only a small piece of the growing inefficiencies of the various security groups within BMO.

Ie. Flags in supporters sections
Singing in supporters sections
Standing in supporters sections

PLEASE BRIEF ALL SECURITY PRIOR TO GAMES ABOUT THESE ISSUES!!!

C.Ronaldo
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
no surprise here

this list is going to be ridiculously long by the end of the year

but they'll have time to look it over in 3 years when the seats are empty