PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings

Lucky Strike
06-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I got away from doing player ratings for a while, mostly because I was actually in Toronto for the New England games and the next three I was so mad it wouldn't be good to do the ratings. Anyway, a much needed win for TFC and this forum. On we go to the players:

Frei - 7: Gave a little too much space on the RNY goal but was otherwise solid making saves and snatching balls to help out the defence.
Attakora - 7: Only saw him when making the good plays and that's a good sign. He continues to develop well.
Serioux - 6.5: He sure gave it his all today and was dead tired by the end of the match leading to a few questionable plays on his part but otherwise he was a trooper today. :yellow:
Garcia - 7: His first match as a Red and it was a good one. I can't think of him making a mistake (though I felt he let Kandji come way too close in from the right late-ish in the second half) and he is another rough and tumble backliner. Our defence are thugs and that's not a critique meaning talentless - just.... well as a British guy I know would say: "they're Ard".
Robinson - 6: He didn't feel quite as effective today, some passes were wayward and he had a moment of miscommunication with the big man in the second half, which led to a RNY chance. :yellow:
Harmse - 7: What the hell? This has to be the best game Harmse has ever played in a TFC shirt. Was threatening down the wings and had the occasional dangerous looking shot. Cummins said "he's not a defender"? Well, no shit! This proves it. :yellow:
Cronin - 7: Very aware on the right side of midfield today with some intelligent play both offensively and defensively. Spent some time at RB today and looked less effective but let's say it, that's not his position. Most importantly though, he was aware enough to grab the penalty rebound. Why couldn't Cunt-ingham do this?
Guevara - 7.5: Only got 65 minutes from him because of his international duty but they were quality minutes. Tricky on the ball, clever passes, and everything else we've come to expect from him. We missed him sorely. Both he and DeRo (and in fact everyone in the history of TFC save one) have failed to score a penalty. Subbed.
Vitti - 7.5: He won't appear on the scoresheet but he had a hand in both TFC goals today. Broke Stammler's ankles with his dribbling leading to the penalty call and managed to get on the end of a long ball leading to a rebound for Dichio. Okay, maybe I'm stretching the last one but this is one game where Vitti didn't score and we can truly say we did very well. Subbed.
DeRosario - 6.5: Worked tirelessly as usual but it seemed he wasn't quite his usual dangerous self. Was that just me? Subbed.
Dichio - 7: Seriously, when he retires, we need to go find a guy exactly like him. Though too old by that time, Paul Dickov is the type of player we will need. Jan Koller is another example. Dichio knows so well where the goal is and proved it again. I'm sure that corner flag has a boot print for every goal he's scored.

Velez (on for Guevara, 63rd) - 6: Had some nervous moments there (what else is new - I still hate that guy) but did make a neat clearance in around the 75th minute, I'll give him that.
Barrett (on for Vitti, 68th) - 6.5: He's now where some people say he belongs but I thought he did reasonably well today in relief. Nifty hold up play at one point leading to a decent chance.
Ricketts (on for DeRosario, 86th) - NR: Had a good run but it fizzled. It's hard to prove yourself when you get a handful of minutes per match.

Cummins - 7: A seven, I think. I won't try and make up any bullshit, he made two or three changes in formation and it's hard to assess what he did. I'd welcome input from anyone on this one.

Referee - 5.5: I was somewhat confused by him today. During the first 25 minutes, he allowed loads of physical play, which TFC took advantage of. But then, he changed his mind and started calling the game more closely. If it wasn't for that and being bamboozled twice into believing Rojas has been fouled, he'd have had an excellent game.

MOTM - Guevara. Started the two plays that led to TFC goals.

Most impressed by opposition's: Kandji. He's big, strong and very mobile. Kind of like an up and coming Kenny Cooper. He was a handful for the backline but thankfully, Garcia was more than a match for him. Cepero gets an honourable mention for making several saves.

Cristiano14
06-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Gotta STRONGLY disagree on harmse, he was good technically, but he has ABSOLUTELY no idea of what he's doing. Countless times he's completely slow down and kill our fast breaks, and he was always way to slow on crosses or shots.
I didn't agree so much with cummings substitutions, but I liked the formation and tactics he used, especially in the first half.
It was an ok game, but i'm not too impressed we got a bit lucky.

Candu_88
06-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Sorry Lucky, if TFC really had eight players at 7 or higher then the result would have been at least 4-1. Truth is we were outplayed and out chanced and were a little lucky to come away with 3 points.

Serioux really struggled as a left fullback, he got dribbled around numerous times (even before the knock) and was out of positional shape a lot too. He gave the Bulls one of their best chances to score when conveyed a pass to the wing that allowed it to intercepted. Garcia had to work really hard to cover for him. Rating 4.

DeRo is extrememly talented and works hard but he was offside three times killing great scoring chances. Dived several times killing threatening attacks. Had some poor first touches and is holding the ball too long and becoming too predictable. Rating 5

Nuvinho
06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I was waiting for Harmse to screw up...but he didn't really. He did impress me with some of his offensive runs, but he has gotta stop doing hockey bodychecks on people.

iansmcl
06-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Pretty sure it was Attakora who jumped leaving the NYRB player an acre of room when NYRB scored. That's the only time I really remember seeing him.

poppamidnight
06-13-2009, 11:07 PM
How is Vitti tied with Amado?

I didn't really notice Amado....

Vitti was our best player today... Hushed the nay-sayers, proved he's a right-wing, not a striker (Ali Gerba + OBW en route, so we'd prefer to have Vitti on the right side),

And that much for Chad?
He had a nifty doodle, but panicked again.....
Same old chad really, got me out of my seat...only to dissapoint me

I'd also drop Serioux down to a 5.5,
he's just too damn slow now,

Garcia + Serioux can only play together when we're playing 4 at the back (as our CB's),

and our 2 defenders out wide need to be fast (Nana + Wynne).

After today, I honestly want to see us try Jimmy B in MF and got with a backline of:
Wynne___Garcia___Serioux___Nana

Then just drop Jimmy B back if a sub is made in our backline, thus never using Velez

Darlofletch
06-14-2009, 01:10 AM
I'd agree with most of that except,

would give Serioux less, I love this guy but probably his worst game for us so far, he was out of position and clearly looks like he's fighting an injury as well.

Robbo, I actually thought had a decent game.

Barrett, don't agree with you (and Dobson and Forrest) that he did well the one time he had the ball and was running at the d. To me, it looked like he's lost his confidence and was scared to take it on himself, instead just desperately trying to find someone to pass to. And aside from that, he did nothing. On that performance, definitely doesn't to get his starting place back instead of Vitti.

Waggy
06-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Gotta STRONGLY disagree on harmse, he was good technically, but he has ABSOLUTELY no idea of what he's doing. Countless times he's completely slow down and kill our fast breaks, and he was always way to slow on crosses or shots.
I didn't agree so much with cummings substitutions, but I liked the formation and tactics he used, especially in the first half.
It was an ok game, but i'm not too impressed we got a bit lucky.

Man completely disagree. We were counting how many really good plays Harmes made, till we LOST COUNT around 5 or 6. He's not supposed to be on fast breaks! Hes supposed to be a defensive mid! that he's up there in the first place is to his credit, and he got back to cover his man too.

Mojo
06-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Ricketts, Vitti, Barrett all played fucking great today from what I saw. They all did what I think they should be doing, which is set up plays for other people. All 3 of them should be attacking midfielders setting up guys like Dichio.

Candu_88
06-14-2009, 08:50 AM
I was annoyed listening to the call-ins on Fan590 on the drive home. Vitti was getting a lot of derogatory remarks. He hasn't found his finishing composure yet but he created lots of attacks and was a key factor in both TFC goals, worked hard and his positioning has improved. But more surprising was the fact that he was the ball winner a number of times and he saved a goal making a great diagonal recovery run to after the defense and holding midfielders got picked apart. This player is adapting and showing more heart than some of our more famous icons. Rating 7

Cristiano14
06-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Man completely disagree. We were counting how many really good plays Harmes made, till we LOST COUNT around 5 or 6. He's not supposed to be on fast breaks! Hes supposed to be a defensive mid! that he's up there in the first place is to his credit, and he got back to cover his man too.

Yeah fiar enough, he was good defensively, and played a lot better then usual. He just killed some attacking chances which really pissed me off

Yohan
06-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I was annoyed listening to the call-ins on Fan590 on the drive home.
just rewatching the game from MGS NY feed and boy, their lead announcer is so clueless. not enough research done prior to game. I counted like 4 mistakes in broadcast. and insists on Seri OW

Fushida
06-14-2009, 10:26 AM
this was definitely one of the best games Harmse has played for us. i've been criticizing him a lot since he came but if he keeps working like this he'll shut me up. definitely doesn't have as much of an attacking mind as others, but he's made some decent runs and did a lot of work down the wing today. still looks a bit lethargic at times, but he's been improving for sure.

Yohan
06-14-2009, 10:31 AM
this was definitely one of the best games Harmse has played for us. i've been criticizing him a lot since he came but if he keeps working like this he'll shut me up. definitely doesn't have as much of an attacking mind as others, but he's made some decent runs and did a lot of work down the wing today. still looks a bit lethargic at times, but he's been improving for sure.
I think it may be down to Harmse being giving clear instructions and sticking to what he can do without over extending beyond his abilities

he looked great both on left and right wing and I would have had brain spasms if that rocket of a left foot shot he took went in, after he bamboozled a Shite Bull in 2nd half

boysblue
06-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Nobody really stood out for me above all the others last night, though I think Harmse, Amada and Vitti were particularly effective in the first half. Dicchio caused the RB defenders fits in the air as well.

Ron Manager
06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Pretty sure it was Attakora who jumped leaving the NYRB player an acre of room when NYRB scored. That's the only time I really remember seeing him.

You missed him flattening Rojas?

DoubleUp
06-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Seems like if your initials isnt DD, people have no problems attempting to dookie on you.

iansmcl
06-14-2009, 03:53 PM

That was him, eh? Wasn't sure... and completely forgot about that to be honest. :p

Ron Manager
06-14-2009, 04:28 PM
You'd notice if he flattened Buddle!!

robert32
06-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Vitti and amado play very well together

sampace
06-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Robinson in my opinion has had a bad two weeks. He had some poor passes again in this game where the ball went straight to the other opponent. He also stood there a few times when the ball was passed to him, not making a good timed run when needed. I think his play is starting to slide. Perhaps time to be looking elsewhere on the bench for a better performance. Start one of our younger players for a game to see what they bring to the table.