PDA

View Full Version : If you were the Head of MLSE for a day...

ua-kozak_TFC
06-13-2009, 09:55 AM
i know it;s been talk about alot... i just want to see some actual numbers...

OneLoveOneEric
06-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I'd put a gun in my own mouth and pull the trigger, my brains spraying the window in the shape of a Maple Leaf, because I was a company man to the bitter end.

Beach_Red
06-13-2009, 10:18 AM
This is a good question. On the hockey side there's not much to do right now, let Burke run the team. I would have no problem with Phoenix moving to Hamilton.

On the TFC side, I'd see the value of soccer in this city and invest in areas where there's no cap - management, coaching, training facilities and so on. It's been MLSE's way to be "middle of the pack," with their expenditures but here's an opportunity to be the best. They could build a state of the art stadium of their own.

It's easy to spend someone else's money, but it makes more sense to me than looking to buy a team in England.

(the poll wasn't up when I answered this - thinking about Mo is thinking small - the problems are far deeper than that with this organization.)

Nuvinho
06-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I'd say, "I'm rich B****!!!"......then go count my money. Who cares about anyone else.

rocker
06-13-2009, 10:26 AM
as i always said, 3 years is a good test after expansion. year 1 is just getting the team going, year 2 is improvement and consolidation, and year 3 is playoffs. That would be 3 years of improvement in points, hopefully.
No improvement in points and no playoffs in year 3 should mean firing. The thing is, you can only know that after Year 3 is over.

Sigi Schmidt had three years in Columbus. First year, team was crap and didn't make the playoffs. Second year, team was better but still didn't make the playoffs. Third year, he makes the playoffs and wins the MLS Cup. 3 years is reasonable to make the playoffs.

rocker
06-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I'd say, "I'm rich B****!!!"......then go count my money. Who cares about anyone else.

hahah. love that answer. Or you'd be "bangin interns".

InTheCrowd
06-13-2009, 11:11 AM
If I were the head of MLSE I'd sell the club. Simple as that.

Super
06-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks to me like a 73% approval rating - or at least 73% of people want Mo to stay on the job.

poppamidnight
06-13-2009, 12:55 PM
I still think he doesn't even know what he's doing...

He gives the same vauge answers in all his interviews (just checked the interview on garcia/gerba trade)...

He's clearly clueless, giving cop-out answers that save his job,

In fact, there was some lead-in answers by reporters (suggesting the 'correct' answer when you ask the question), which proves my point that Toronto is full of homer-reporters who are too 'buddy-buddy' with sports teams to answer proper questions...

At first I thought it was just the maple Laugh reporters,
...then I saw the Raptors,
Jays.... well their rarely interviewed....
And TFC.

Take me back to Vancouver, where real sports reporters reside.
Don't accept these bloody cop-out answers,
don't provide him with the answer when you ask a question,

Get the facts... Write them for the fans.

Mo doesn't know what he's doing...deep down the reporters know this, but they covet that access so bad that their basically writing propaganda

Beach_Red
06-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Toronto is full of homer-reporters who are too 'buddy-buddy' with sports teams to answer proper questions...

You're right about this. The media in this city is far behind the fans. When the reporters finally do ask a decent question it's only after it's been discussed here for days.

James Oliphant
06-13-2009, 01:05 PM
I'd put a gun in my own mouth and pull the trigger, my brains spraying the window in the shape of a Maple Leaf, because I was a company man to the bitter end.

At least give Bill Hicks SOME credit for writing your joke for you... :p

rocktml
06-13-2009, 01:20 PM
i would sell tfc and buy the new york red bulls!!!

OneLoveOneEric
06-13-2009, 01:38 PM
At least give Bill Hicks SOME credit for writing your joke for you... :p

Wanted to see who knew the man himself!
Well done,

ua-kozak_TFC
06-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Looks to me like a 73% approval rating - or at least 73% of people want Mo to stay on the job.
yea well, from my point of view its 70% disapproval ...

ua-kozak_TFC
06-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I still think he doesn't even know what he's doing...

He gives the same vauge answers in all his interviews (just checked the interview on garcia/gerba trade)...

He's clearly clueless, giving cop-out answers that save his job,

In fact, there was some lead-in answers by reporters (suggesting the 'correct' answer when you ask the question), which proves my point that Toronto is full of homer-reporters who are too 'buddy-buddy' with sports teams to answer proper questions...

At first I thought it was just the maple Laugh reporters,
...then I saw the Raptors,
Jays.... well their rarely interviewed....
And TFC.

Take me back to Vancouver, where real sports reporters reside.
Don't accept these bloody cop-out answers,
don't provide him with the answer when you ask a question,

Get the facts... Write them for the fans.

Mo doesn't know what he's doing...deep down the reporters know this, but they covet that access so bad that their basically writing propaganda

you are definetly right (specially the interviews with that british reporter who works at TFC)... They sound too much like a Bill O'Reilly interviewing Jhon McCain... (And i considermyself largely conservative just for the record...)

InTheCrowd
06-13-2009, 02:27 PM
If you were head of MLSE for a day you wouldn't be able to complete options #2 and #3.

James Oliphant
06-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Wanted to see who knew the man himself!
Well done,

Hicks should be required listening for anyone with half a brain. And I have exactly half a brain.

Pookie
06-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Quite honestly, I'd treat TFC the way that they are running both the Raptors and Leafs. While that doesn't sound great in terms of results, the idea is bring in an extremely qualified President and GM for the team and let them run it.

As head of MLSE, I would be concerning myself with trying to make Toronto the true National Capital of Soccer in this country.

I'd use the fact that I have a competitive advantage over other cities and put grass in now. I'd be angling for more ownership of BMO Field.

I'd be making sure that International Friendlies (either involving TFC or not) are the norm. I'd lobby for BMO to be the exclusive home of the National Teams and leveraging GOLTV in that quest. I'd take a run at any and all international FIFA events (such as the U20).

I'd also put my PR staff on a short term "Performance Improvement Plan" over this Real Madrid crap. The average Toronto fan is paying only a few bucks more than a fan in Seattle yet we have all this anger? That is a PR failure. They have to change the climate or they are gone.

Corcai
06-13-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd sit back in my chair with a stogie and scotch, laugh out loud and think to myself:
"No matter what we do to these stupid fucking "fans" they keep throwing their money at us."

That would be followed by that Ah Ah AAAHH, laugh from the 7up commercial from the early 80's.

Shway
06-14-2009, 12:12 PM

NOW your thinknig, thats the MLSE state of mind my friend

felipe
06-14-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd challenge the fans to embrace each and every player who wears the TFC red and gives an honest effort on game-day.

I'd encourage them to boo the piss out of the ones that don't.

I'd impress on them the need to get behind 'our boys' who are struggling with their confidence/form and give them a lift up from the stands - and the message boards.

I'd remind them that a team is much more than the 11 on the field; it includes all the roster, coaching staff, and front-office staff - from secretary to GM;

I'd cut out the fucjkin mid-season friendlies

The Kingpin
06-14-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd challenge the fans to embrace each and every player who wears the TFC red and gives an honest effort on game-day.

I'd impress on them the need to get behind 'our boys' who are struggling with their confidence/form and give them a lift up from the stands - and the message boards.

I'd remind them that a team is much more than the 11 on the field; it includes all the roster, coaching staff, and front-office staff - from secretary to GM;

http://diamondcreative.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/excited2.jpg

twistedchinaman
06-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Great sentiment, but that'll happen when hell freezes over.

bhoybobby
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Fire Mo for breach of contract & tell the Assman to get a job he's qualified for

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-14-2009, 06:44 PM
they have a five year plan let him do it...if we fire him just to please a certain bunch of supporters then we will just be like the leafs...and none of want to be compared to thaT?

Shakes McQueen
06-14-2009, 08:42 PM
We are still on pace to likely make the playoffs - with guys like Gerba and whoever this last mystery players is hopefully coming in, you would assume our team will only get BETTER from such moves.

Before this season started, the hope for most people was just that we would make the playoffs, and win the Canadian Championship. The latter might be dead due to a one game meltdown, but the former is still very much alive.

If we miss the playoffs, then I think we need to re-evaluate Mo's job.

If I was the head of MLSE for a day, all I would do is cut a huge cheque to whoever wants it, to get grass at BMO by August. Signing a DP striker might be too much to ask in one day. :D

- Scott

ua-kozak_TFC
06-14-2009, 08:48 PM
they have a five year plan let him do it...if we fire him just to please a certain bunch of supporters then we will just be like the leafs...and none of want to be compared to thaT?
.... according to what i remember 5 year plan was to win the cup.... if you haven't made the play offs by year 3... then it;s HIGHLY enlikely that you fight for the top spot on year 5...

The problem is that although we have been improoveing... so did the league... and our improovement is at snails pase... relative to other teams...

ua-kozak_TFC
06-14-2009, 08:52 PM
We are still on pace to likely make the playoffs - with guys like Gerba and whoever this last mystery players is hopefully coming in, you would assume our team will only get BETTER from such moves.

Before this season started, the hope for most people was just that we would make the playoffs, and win the Canadian Championship. The latter might be dead due to a one game meltdown, but the former is still very much alive.

If we miss the playoffs, then I think we need to re-evaluate Mo's job.

If I was the head of MLSE for a day, all I would do is cut a huge cheque to whoever wants it, to get grass at BMO by August. Signing a DP striker might be too much to ask in one day. :D

- Scott
well... if we had a proper striker for the beggining of this season which was promissed by MO at the end of last season... perhaps we would have won by a larger margin over the Vancouver and Montreal @ BMO and we wouldn;t need 4 goals to move on... we had gazzillions of chances at home

Beach_Red
06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
.... according to what i remember 5 year plan was to win the cup.... if you haven't made the play offs by year 3... then it;s HIGHLY enlikely that you fight for the top spot on year 5...

It's now halfway to the five years, does the team look halfway there? It all depends on who will be replacing Dichio, Robinson, Brennan and Guevara - certainly they aren't part of the plan for year five.

DeRo has a four year contract, Frei, Cronin, Attakora, Serioux will still be here. How well will Gabe Gala and maybe the Gambian kids be playing? What about Vitti, will he still be here?

MLS is not a league in which teams develop their own talent, so how can they plan years ahead? Hoping to score in the NCAA draft? Hoping to make trades? Hoping to sign free agents with no transfer fees? That's not a way to plan.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-14-2009, 10:23 PM

The problem is that although we have been improoveing... so did the league... and our improovement is at snails pase... relative to other teams...

we have made progress afetr the first two seasons and anything is possible in the next 2.5...how slow building were the Pittsburgh Penguins
before they actually won something? building a contender takes time..
lets just hope its not as long as Pittsburgh

Shakes McQueen
06-15-2009, 12:37 AM
well... if we had a proper striker for the beggining of this season which was promissed by MO at the end of last season... perhaps we would have won by a larger margin over the Vancouver and Montreal @ BMO and we wouldn;t need 4 goals to move on... we had gazzillions of chances at home

Mo brought in Vitti. Before the season started, all we knew was that he was a former Argentinian youth international, playing as a starter with the likes of Lio Messi, and that he had looked thoroughly dominant against us in a friendly last year.

If Vitti plays to his potential, we aren't having this conversation. And if Gerba comes in and plays well, this conversation also goes away.

We took a one year chance on a guy with the potential for a huge upside, and it hasn't paid off. You can't win 'em all.

All a GM can do is recognize that a new player isn't working out, and try to get someone else. Mo seems to have recognized that Barrett and Vitti both aren't producing much, and is trying to rectify the problem with Gerba.

- Scott

Beach_Red
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
If Vitti plays to his potential, we aren't having this conversation. And if Gerba comes in and plays well, this conversation also goes away.

We took a one year chance on a guy with the potential for a huge upside, and it hasn't paid off. You can't win 'em all.

At this stage that's too big an "if." By now we don't want to be taking a chance on a guy with "potential for a huge upside," we want someone with a proven upside.

If MLSE had paid for DP striker this whole season would have been different.

I think people are focusing too much on the manager, making it too personal - any manager TFC gets will do the same thing, bring in the same level of players and get lucky just as often. By making a big deal out of this particular manager, MLSE will buy themselves two more years by getting a new manager - we don't need that, we need a DP.

There has been one clear problem with this team the whole season - lots of opportunities and not enough goals. It's something that could have been easily addressed with $$$. Maybe the guy who was let go by the MK Dons is the right guy, but maybe 20,000 tickets sold per game should mean someone with an even better track record.

Parkdale
06-15-2009, 11:06 AM
short answer: it would be dumb to fire Mo without a replacement.
having said that..... if we miss the playoffs this year, make it very clear that
he's hanging by a thread, and his replacement has already been found.

trane
06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
^ We shuold be looking for a replacement right now, maybe we do not go through with it, but we need to at least have a short list for people who would be suitable and available to replace him.

Beach_Red
06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
You guys think too small. Managing TFC under this ownership is like Groucho Marx not wanting to join any club that will have him. Any replacement they get will be the same.

MLSE seem to have reacted to a bunch of protests, we should be demanding a real DP, a proven veteran who can score. That's the only thing that will move this team to the next level and the spot is open on the roster.

Carts
06-15-2009, 01:00 PM
If I was head of MLSE for a day, the last thing I would think about is Mo Jo...

I would:
1. Dissolve the Board of Directors...
2. Appoint an all-powerfull president & CEO of the company...
3. Give the head of each sports franchise (Burke, Mo Jo, Colangelo) full operating control of their staff &s sports decisions...
4. Introduce & publish the budget for each team...

This would give the people running the teams, control of the teams, and the public would see what they have to work with...

If someone under performs - my president & CEO would fire them, because if they didn't perform, he would be in the line of public fire. If they do perform, the GM would take the praise...

Remove the circus at the top - that being the B.O.G. that "bog" down the running of each franchise this monster owns...

Despite the "dance around" they do when asked, each GM does NOT have full control of his team. The BOG weighs in on most decisions and all major decisions...

Carts...

Shakes McQueen
06-15-2009, 05:26 PM
At this stage that's too big an "if." By now we don't want to be taking a chance on a guy with "potential for a huge upside," we want someone with a proven upside.

If MLSE had paid for DP striker this whole season would have been different.

I think people are focusing too much on the manager, making it too personal - any manager TFC gets will do the same thing, bring in the same level of players and get lucky just as often. By making a big deal out of this particular manager, MLSE will buy themselves two more years by getting a new manager - we don't need that, we need a DP.

There has been one clear problem with this team the whole season - lots of opportunities and not enough goals. It's something that could have been easily addressed with $$$. Maybe the guy who was let go by the MK Dons is the right guy, but maybe 20,000 tickets sold per game should mean someone with an even better track record.

I really have to wonder at this point, why we don't have a DP. There has to be a reason, and I actually don't think it's the money. Christ, MLSE spent millions this season just BUYING OUT CONTRACTS of Leafs players, and paying half the salary for guys on waivers. Surely they would pony up a few million to secure the success of their newest sports venture, and to crystallize the local fanbase it has in it's formative years.

My guess is it still comes down to some combination of Toronto being in Canada (meaning - weather, taxes, not the US), and the carpeted concrete.

I'd love to be the head of MLSE for a day, just to find out what the real issue is behind getting a DP, because money just seems too easy and convenient.

- Scott