PDA

View Full Version : Mixed reviews for Reds near midpoint

denime
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Mixed reviews for Reds near midpoint

"We need to start getting it done," says Johnston

TORONTO -- Toronto FC isn't quite at the midpoint of their regular season MLS schedule, but given the amount of news generated around the club in the last few weeks, TFC upper management decided to hold their informal "midseason report card" meeting with the media on Thursday at BMO Field. In the eyes of manager and director of soccer Mo Johnston, the team's goal-scoring problem earns the Reds an inconclusive grade.

Read More (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090612&content_id=5285420&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

NateDoGG
06-12-2009, 01:21 PM
i just fucking love how they made a plug for the madrid game, fuck me half the artical was about the fucking madrid game,

Saturday's game was originally supposed to take place on Aug. 9, but was moved up on the schedule in order to accommodate TFC's Aug. 7 friendly with Real Madrid. The Reds will face the legendary Spanish side in what Tom Anselmi, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Maple Leaf Sports And Entertainment, believes will be a seminal moment for the sport in the city of Toronto.
"This isn't a friendly, this is an event," Anselmi said. "It's great for soccer, it's great for our fans, the opportunity for our players to play the best in the world ... they're all thrilled.
"Real Madrid doesn't go just anywhere. They're going to play in front of 80,000 fans in Washington [against D.C. United on Aug. 9], so seeing Real Madrid in a 20,000-seat building is like seeing the Rolling Stones at the El Mocambo. This is going to be a really, really cool event."
Real Madrid is currently the talk of the football world due to their multimillion dollar acquisitions of Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka within the last week, and Toronto fans will be assured of seeing these two and the other Real stars. The contract for the match stipulates that, health permitting, Real Madrid must field their regulars for a minimum of 45 minutes.
Paul Beirne, TFC's director of business operations, compared Real Madrid's arrival to the big-name friendlies played by the Toronto Blizzard of the old North American Soccer League in the 1970's and '80's.
"If you talk to 35-year-old soccer fans in Toronto who were kids when the Blizzard were here, they will tell you about when Juventus played the Blizzard," Beirne said. "They'll also remember when the Blizzard plays the Cosmos. This is the kind of thing that will resonate in the hearts and minds of a lot of people."
The announcement concerning the Real Madrid exhibition has not been met with unanimous praise, however. Several TFC supporters' groups were upset that the New York match was being moved, which affected the schedules of several fans who might have been planning a trip to see the Aug. 9 game.
Also, some season-ticket holders weren't pleased that the Real Madrid contest wasn't the international friendly promised in their ticket packages. That game, in fact, will be played against Argentinean giants River Plate on July 22, and tickets to the Real Madrid game are being sold separately.
Anselmi said that tickets for the Real Madrid friendly would be available to season-ticket holders on Monday, with tickets going on sale to the general public on June 22. He also apologized for the club not having these details settled before word of the exhibition became public, though Anselmi noted that the high cost involved with bringing a club like Real to Toronto would've necessitated a similar situation even with prior notice.
"We screwed up in how this got out. It leaked in Spain or in D.C. ... and it got out before we had a chance to announce it properly, and shame on us because that's not the way to do things," Anselmi said. "If we had had them booked a year ago, we probably wouldn't have put it into the season ticket package. For every season ticket holder that is saying it should've been in the package, we would've had 50 saying 'you've driven the price of my package up, let me have the option.' "
As for the rescheduling, Anselmi said the June 13 date of the Red Bulls match was only booked after making sure the added game wouldn't create any fixture congestion or similar problems for TFC. "When we found out Real Madrid could be a reality, the first thing we did was to go to the team and ask if they wanted to move this date," Anselmi said. "It wasn't as if we said they had to move this date or could they live with it ... we wouldn't have done this if it hadn't been advantageous to the regular season schedule. That's the priority."

so thats moe addressing the issues? way to tell us what we already fucking know
real great job. that read was about as useless as tits on a boar

great advert for the madrid game aswell, top notch boys. u make us so proud

Batman
06-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Funny how Mo gives the squad a C but says "the squad is good enough".

In other words, he's doing fine job building a team, but they aren't playing very well.

It's all THEIR fault.

Frankly, I declare, BULLSHIT Mo. You are responsible for fielding a team that's good enough. Trying to blame them, and distance yourself from their failures does not sit well with me.

BULLSHIT!

Brooker
06-12-2009, 02:31 PM
"It's great for soccer, it's great for our fans, the opportunity for our players to play the best in the world ... they're all thrilled."

78% (315/405) of people on this board say they won't be attending

cuecas_red
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Real Madrid is currently the talk of the football world due to their multimillion dollar acquisitions of Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka within the last week, and Toronto fans will be assured of seeing these two and the other Real stars. The contract for the match stipulates that, health permitting, Real Madrid must field their regulars for a minimum of 45 minutes.

So how are CR7 and Kaka regulars when they haven't played a game yet?

TorontoMO
06-12-2009, 02:58 PM
The FO must live on planet MO to swallow his horseshit.

And small note: People remember the COSMOS. Cause they were a great team. I doubt anyone living outside of Toronto will remember TFC coming to town-- unless it for it's great road support from TFC fans.

trane
06-12-2009, 02:59 PM
"The same lack of finishing has given TFC a 4-5-4 record in league play, and though the Reds are tied for the fourth-most goals scored in MLS, they have a minus-4 goal differential. If the MLS Cup Playoffs started today, that minus-4 mark would be the deciding factor in keeping Toronto out of the postseason picture for the third consecutive year."

This tells me that while yes, we have a huge problem, our principle problem is that we defend poorly.

trane
06-12-2009, 03:02 PM

In other words, he's doing fine job building a team, but they aren't playing very well.

It's all THEIR fault.

Frankly, I declare, BULLSHIT Mo. You are responsible for fielding a team that's good enough. Trying to blame them, and distance yourself from their failures does not sit well with me.

BULLSHIT!

Thank you. I have to say this it is not about hating Mo, it is about results. The teams that he has put together are not producing. No matter how you cut it that is the bottom line. At least they are starting to feel the pressure.

S_D
06-12-2009, 03:14 PM
i just fucking love how they made a plug for the madrid game, fuck me half the artical was about the fucking madrid game,

so thats moe addressing the issues? way to tell us what we already fucking know
real great job. that read was about as useless as tits on a boar

great advert for the madrid game aswell, top notch boys. u make us so proud

It isn't like the MLS site is an independent news source. We all know that they have played like crap but the site isn't about to say that.

If these types of performances merit a C from Mo.....I just wish he had been my calculus prof. I may have actually passed the course the first time I took it. :D

Cashcleaner
06-12-2009, 04:21 PM

It's all THEIR fault.

BULLSHIT!

You always gotta keep an eye out for those sorta quotes. Good job spotting, or should I say smelling, the point.

bhoybobby
06-13-2009, 01:14 AM
I had a similar thread & it was shut by the gestapo, guess it's not who ya know, small minded minions attenhut

iansmcl
06-13-2009, 11:11 AM
"The same lack of finishing has given TFC a 4-5-4 record in league play, and though the Reds are tied for the fourth-most goals scored in MLS, they have a minus-4 goal differential. If the MLS Cup Playoffs started today, that minus-4 mark would be the deciding factor in keeping Toronto out of the postseason picture for the third consecutive year."

This tells me that while yes, we have a huge problem, our principle problem is that we defend poorly.

That or that we cannot score...

Personally I think it's a little of both and it's screwing with both ends. i.e. Our poor offensive play (read: finishing) leads to our D being pressured too much and our poor defensive play leads to our offense not getting good chances. Though I lean moreso to the shit offense not scoring. We're paying our three forwards what $600 000 and they have five goals... or is it six now?