PDA

View Full Version : Rohan Ricketts on It's Called Football Monday at 2 p.m.

SweetOwnGoal
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Listen live on That Channel.com (http://www.thatchannel.com) at 2 p.m. EDT.

If you have questions for Rohan (within reason) send them to dgrollins@gmail.com, or list them here, and I'll try and ask them on air.

poppamidnight
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Is twittergate going to be censored/off limits on this one?

Kickit09
06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
cant wait to see that. will he be in th studio or just on the phone?

phonzo
06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Is twittergate going to be censored/off limits on this one?

dammit you beat me to it

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Tell him "Thanks for hitting on my wife and daughter yesterday". And, yes, I have pix to prove it. :)

VPjr
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Ask him where he intends to be playing after June 30 when TFC cuts him so they don't have to absorb the full impact of his contract against the salary cap.

Super
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Ask him how they plan to approach the Montreal game.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Seriously, though, ask him:

1. if he believes he trains hard enough to earn a regular spot;
2. whether he thinks he fits in a 4-3-3 with our current roster;
3. if he were coach, whether he would try a different formation or line-up.

SweetOwnGoal
06-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Ask him where he intends to be playing after June 30 when TFC cuts him so they don't have to absorb the full impact of his contract against the salary cap.

Although I likely won't be as blunt, I will ask a question along those lines.

And Twitter will be on the agenda...

VPjr
06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
^ why candy coat it my friend. Its quite obvious he's a goner.

Yohan
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
^ why candy coat it my friend. Its quite obvious he's a goner.
it's called class

why embarass the guy in live audience?

Pachuco
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I see skin!

Pachuco
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
and Santa Claus :)

TFC Tifoso
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
it's called class

why embarass the guy in live audience?

he embarasses himself when he puts the focus on his "projects" and neglects his job.

dupont
06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Ask him what he thinks the reason is for his lack of playing time this season. I know why others think he isn't playing but I want to know why he thinks he isn't.

Pachuco
06-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I must not be watching the right thing here

VPjr
he embarasses himself when he puts the focus on his "projects" and neglects his job.

+1

We owe the players nothing. They owe us everything. That is what people need to realize.

Yohan
that's besides the point ;)

Pachuco
06-12-2009, 01:08 PM
am I supposed to be watching the Jay and Sandy Duarte show? Cause they just mentioned their guests and Ricketts wasn't one of them.

dupont
06-12-2009, 01:09 PM
We owe the players nothing. They owe us everything. That is what people need to realize.

You aren't thinking about this correctly. If they get a reputation for just ripping into players that agree to come on their show and embarrassing them then players will most likely avoid coming on the show in the future.

The players owe the fans something I agree but they don't have a duty to appear on a talk show so why would the hosts risk the opportunity to have future guests appearing?

Pachuco
AHHHHHH hahaha, just realized it's on monday at 2:00pm. HAHAHA

deltox
this will be live on MONDAY

dantdot
06-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Shit man, I was sitting here waiting wondering wtf was going on. *Smacks head on desk*

Yohan
06-12-2009, 01:12 PM
+1

you're the type of boss when firing a person, you make a grand announcement, but before, you clang pots and pants to ensure that you got everyone's attention?

VPjr
06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
^ Duane, Ben and Ben will ask the question however they wish to ask the question...its their show. I prefer a more direct approach.

My exact question would be "After June 30, your full salary will apply on the cap. You have not featured regularly this season and you are making alot of money by MLS standards. What is your Plan B should TFC decide to release you by month's end, the way they released Greg Sutton".

It's a tough question but its not unfair. A professional athlete who can't handle that question doesn't deserve my time to hear what he has to say. We spoon feed athletes too often. I prefer to put them on the spot a bit and try to solicit an emotional answer because those tend to be more honest.

Darlofletch
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Ask him what he thinks the reason is for his lack of playing time this season. I know why others think he isn't playing but I want to know why he thinks he isn't.

In interviews recently, he keeps talking about there being "other reasons,that he can't do anything about" for him not being in the starting line-up, and that even if he plays well he doesn't think he'd get into the team.

Ask him what he means by that?

Having said that, people, including myself, keep criticising him for speaking out and not keeping it all behind closed doors, so it seems a bit unfair to be pressing him and trying to get him to dig his own grave even deeper.

Instead, ask him why he's a Man Utd and LA Lakers fan. I'd hope there's some other reason that just gloryhunting.

VPjr
06-12-2009, 01:25 PM
you're the type of boss when firing a person, you make a grand announcement, but before, you clang pots and pants to ensure that you got everyone's attention?

Actually, its more like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIg9Ome1lGU&feature=related

:hump::D:p

AL-MO
06-12-2009, 01:27 PM

+1

If SOG wants to have other players on as guests its probably a good idea to ask the question a little more 'maturely'. ;)

rocker
06-12-2009, 01:37 PM
My exact question would be "After June 30, your full salary will apply on the cap. You have not featured regularly this season and you are making alot of money by MLS standards. What is your Plan B should TFC decide to release you by month's end, the way they released Greg Sutton".

But that question doesn't really matter to TFC fans. What he does after his career is done with TFC is irrelevant. It also deals in a hypothetical. Journalists are often criticized for setting up hypotheticals and then encouraging answers to hypotheticals.

Plus, the answer might just be "I dunno mate, I don't expect to be released."

Roogsy
06-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I get really tired of hearing about how he concentrates on other "projects". He has some side activities...does anyone here have any proof that this is taking away from this training? If he shows up every day, trains at whatever Winsper and Cummins ask him to do and then when the whole team is done he goes and does promotional stuff...how exactly is that shirking his job as a player?

When TFC was just beginning to grow and the team was throwing this guy around everywhere at every hour, promoting the hell out of TFC, we didn't care that he was constantly in the marketing venue. Now we don't want him to do it anymore?

Somebody explain to me why he can't do both? Danny does. Jimmy does. Robbo does. Ricketts can't??? :noidea:

Jay P
06-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Ask Ricketts, if in fact the players are excited to be playing Real Madrid.

rocker
06-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I get really tired of hearing about how he concentrates on other "projects". He has some side activities...does anyone here have any proof that this is taking away from this training? If he shows up every day, trains at whatever Winsper and Cummins ask him to do and then when the whole team is done he goes and does promotional stuff...how exactly is that shirking his job as a player?

When TFC was just beginning to grow and the team was throwing this guy around everywhere at every hour, promoting the hell out of TFC, we didn't care that he was constantly in the marketing venue. Now we don't want him to do it anymore?

Somebody explain to me why he can't do both? Danny does. Jimmy does. Robbo does. Ricketts can't??? :noidea:

i think it's a tenuous connection between off field work and playing the game. People want to explain his inconsistency somehow... so they make a link between promotional stuff + play in the game. But as you say, so many guys do lots of things (sometimes stuff we don't even know about). Some guys impregnate their wives and thus are forcing sleepless nights on themselves ;) Some guys probably party their asses off in this great city every week. But we don't know if that ever affects their play. I mean, it seems an implication that if Rohan went straight home after practice, didn't talk to people, went to bed early, he'd be a better player.

My theory on ricketts is he's an inconsistent talent by nature. Looking back at his history, he's had times where he's in a team's starting lineup for awhile, and impresses. then he loses favour and gets benched. Could be mental, could be talent, who knows.

Jamaicanadian
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM

Roogsy..ABSOLUTELY NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION RATIONALLY. It's a tenuous hypothesis; trying to make a direct correlation between off field activities (e.g. holding a microphone and asking people questions and acting silly) and on field display....

Nomad
06-12-2009, 03:25 PM
When you're doing well and you can balance both, then why not? If you've fallen out of favour, are riding the bench and are not handling it well publicly, then maybe it's time to pull back and focus on what got you there in the first place. People care about Ricketts the footballer. No one cares about Ricketts the ex-footballer, know what i mean?

Does this answer the question at all?

thisisinternetclash
06-12-2009, 06:18 PM

I completely agree. I've often wondered by Toronto is seen as 'small market' by many athletes in American sports leagues. Objectively it would seen to be one of four or five largest, most interesting, and most relevant cities in Canada and America. Ricketts has completely embraced the city, seems like a genuinely nice guy, is doing a lot of good work to increase the profile of the club, has been nothing but complementary of the city and country and fans, and above and beyond all of that seems to be earnestly invested in a number of charities.

None of these things are inherently negative; in fact, they're overwhelmingly positive, novel, and commendable.

There's no evidence, even tenuous evidence, to really suggest that this lifestyle is actually contributing to his poor play in any tangible sense.

I'm not even sure that there's any evidence that he's been a poor performer in training. He's played very infrequently this season, and when he has - although he's not been great - he hasn't been actively detrimental to the team in the way that somebody like Velez has been.

He is relatively young by MLS standards and was the team's leading scorer in all competitions last season.

I understand the attractiveness of concentrating one's frustrations and projecting them onto one target, but even then there are probably five or six easier targets - Christ, probably more than that - than Ricketts.

If anything I'm not sure why he isn't more of a sympathetic figure. I genuinely think he could do a reasonable job in a wide position in a 4-3-3 in place of Barrett or Vitti. He's a better finisher than he's given credit for and is better on the ball than Barrett. He's also probably the second best option at set pieces on the team after Guevara.

I really hope the guy sticks around.

dupont
06-15-2009, 01:03 PM
ok I'm ready. Let's hear what he has to say.

Yohan
06-15-2009, 01:20 PM
so... what happened to this show?

dupont
06-15-2009, 01:28 PM
so... what happened to this show?

its on right now

zeelaw
06-15-2009, 01:31 PM
So what's ricketts yappin about?

Yohan
06-15-2009, 01:33 PM
So what's ricketts yappin about?
he's on in few mins

C.Ronaldo
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
ask him what he thinks about members here starting a new CSL team

Jay P
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
24thminute (http://twitter.com/24thminute)@rohanricketts (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts) - interview w/ ICF. Call 416-204-9723.11 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/24thminute/status/2181258914) from txt (http://help.twitter.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75)

Ricketts MIA??

GhostPK
06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
10 peanuts and an apple says they run out of time before RR gets on the show

GhostPK
06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Anybody want a peanut?

eustacchio
06-15-2009, 01:57 PM
^ throw me one

Yohan
06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
lmao. Ricketts getting a lesson on MLS cap system on air

shawn6597
06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
twittergate is up

Ageroo
06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
"In time, all will be revealed." What the hell does that mean....?

Phil
06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
lmao. Ricketts getting a lesson on MLS cap system on air

That was really awkward.

dupont
06-15-2009, 02:14 PM
That was really awkward.

I think it made him think about all these possibilities that could happen all at once that he hadn't thought about before.

Yohan
06-15-2009, 02:25 PM
I think it made him think about all these possibilities that could happen all at once that he hadn't thought about before.
lol yeah. you could just hear his brain start cranking

and the possibility that what happened to Sutton might just happen to him pretty soon

VPjr
06-15-2009, 02:45 PM
^ Duane, Ben and Ben will ask the question however they wish to ask the question...its their show. I prefer a more direct approach.

My exact question would be "After June 30, your full salary will apply on the cap. You have not featured regularly this season and you are making alot of money by MLS standards. What is your Plan B should TFC decide to release you by month's end".

It's a tough question but its not unfair. A professional athlete who can't handle that question doesn't deserve my time to hear what he has to say. We spoon feed athletes too often. I prefer to put them on the spot a bit and try to solicit an emotional answer because those tend to be more honest.

Ben asked RR my question almost verbatim...I was shocked that he did not know that his contract allows the team to buy him out before month end without having the balance of the contract count against the cap.

C.Ronaldo
06-15-2009, 02:45 PM
so he showed up?

Super
06-15-2009, 02:52 PM
so he showed up?

It was a call-in interview.

Beach_Red
06-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Ben asked RR my question almost verbatim...I was shocked that he did not know that his contract allows the team to buy him out before month end without having the balance of the contract count against the cap.

It's not so shocking, he has an agent for all that. Maybe he should know all the details, but really, should he be thinking about a plan B or just giving his all to the team he's with now?

Certainly his agent has been making quiet inquiries all around the world...

jloome
06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
that's besides the point ;)

"he's classless to me, so I can be classless to him." Yeah. Real winning argument, that one.

jloome
06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Here's a question for him Duane: At what point in a career does "good technique" no longer cut it, and does Ricketts concede that he has made poor on-field decisions , and made them too slowly, that have contributed to this? Saturday was another fine example, in that he managed to beat three guys, made it to the top of the box, and was left with the option to try and beat the last two guys, or dish to a wide-open Danny Dichio coming up the right. As usual, he froze for a split second to decide, giving the two defenders a chance to close. Does he recognize his decision-making problems as a key issue or does he think there's nothing to that?

rocker
06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
so somebody wanna give a summary of what he said?
I've been too busy to listen.

carefree_cfc
06-15-2009, 04:15 PM

thank you!! i was just going to post from your exact perspective. just because he's out of form doesn't mean he's neglecting his job and is caught up in being a pop-star.