PDA

View Full Version : Now KC will have a better Stadium than us...

TorontoBlades
06-11-2009, 04:34 PM
http://www.thetrailskc.com/thetrails/images/Trails_C08-01.JPG (http://www.thetrailskc.com/thetrails/images/Trails_C08-01.JPG)http://www.thetrailskc.com/thetrails/images/Trails_C07-01.JPG (http://www.thetrailskc.com/thetrails/images/Trails_C07-01.JPG)

Waggy
06-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Thats pretty sick. If thats full, that'd be a great place to go play. Good for them! From everything I heard on their fans from our road warriors who were there, they deserve it.

rocker
06-11-2009, 04:40 PM
why do people always have to compare stadiums with BMO?

it's like when you compare your girlfriend to other girls. Just enjoy her!

Carts
06-11-2009, 04:44 PM
That looks awesome!

Carts...

Shakes McQueen
06-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Seriously.

BMO does it's job. I'd like to see it expanded and upgraded, but more for functional reasons than so I don't develop penis envy for other grounds around the league.

Good for KC. But it's the fans that make the atmosphere, and make a game day experience good or bad. Those shiny new seats will be getting a lot of face time in their half-empty new stadium, same as the current seats in their half-empty old one.

Happy for KC though. It's certainly a huge upgrade over where they are now.

- Scott

prizby
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
2nd picture

TONIGHT'S GAME - SOLD OUT

LOL

Suds
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Seriously.

BMO does it's job. I'd like to see it expanded and upgraded, but more for functional reasons than so I don't develop penis envy for other grounds around the league.

Good for KC. But it's the fans that make the atmosphere, and make a game day experience good or bad. Those shiny new seats will be getting a lot of face time in their half-empty new stadium, same as the current seats in their half-empty old one.

Happy for KC though. It's certainly a huge upgrade over where they are now.

- Scott

Artist rendition looks awesome. More soccer specific stadiums of this nature is good for the league; which is good for us.

But I'd rather MLSE focus on building a winning team for now .. building a stadium is the easy part.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I love the roof on that stadium. None of that angled crap like they're going to have in Philly.

CretanBull
06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
While we were down there I was talking to some KC supporters and they told me that the new stadium complex & surrounding support business (hotels, shopping malls, restaurants etc.) is a $1 billion dollar investment. $1 BILLION dollars!

Waggy
06-11-2009, 05:25 PM
While we were down there I was talking to some KC supporters and they told me that the new stadium complex & surrounding support business (hotels, shopping malls, restaurants etc.) is a $1 billion dollar investment. $1 BILLION dollars!

WHAT?!?!?! Ok THATS nuts. Its a nice stadium and all, but a fucking BILLION?! jesus. Whats an NFL stadium run nowadays?! Considering BMO only costed 50 million, I'd be happy with even a $100 or 150 million stadium. And I can't even imagine what a $250 million stadium would be. Well awesome is one word haha

kodiakTFC
06-11-2009, 05:28 PM
A roof? Damn it.

Super
06-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Looks like a proper stadium. They're lucky. That's respecting supporters.

Kickit09
06-11-2009, 05:39 PM
KC is a well run organization...... cant say the same for TFC.

CretanBull
06-11-2009, 05:39 PM
WHAT?!?!?! Ok THATS nuts. Its a nice stadium and all, but a fucking BILLION?! jesus. Whats an NFL stadium run nowadays?! Considering BMO only costed 50 million, I'd be happy with even a $100 or 150 million stadium. And I can't even imagine what a $250 million stadium would be. Well awesome is one word haha

Thats the price tag for the developement of the whole area. It's going to be an isolated one-stop tourist location, pretty much in the middle of nowhere (between the airport and downtown, so good for tourists) on the Missourri side of the boarder (current stadium is in Kansas). They're building a 5 star hotel, restaurants of a similar calibre (ie actual restaurants, not McDonalds), a shopping mall with high-end retailers & brands etc.

king dave
06-11-2009, 05:47 PM
If true, very good for KC!
Had a great time there this year.
The fans were A+++.
I would sincerely encourage any TFC fans to make the trip.
I will definately be going next year.
KC is in my top five road trip destinations (so far).

KD.

Yohan
06-11-2009, 05:47 PM
KC is a well run organization...... cant say the same for TFC.
used to be pretty shite though. then they smartened up

greatwhitenorf
06-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Gotta give Americans credit when it comes to sport. They do it up right and market the hell out of it. Great concept and foundation for taking the game forward.

Still, first thing I think of when I hear Kansas City is a showboating striker getting an eight-beer shower on opening day. Here's hoping Toronto gets to spoil their opening day the same way.

Cashcleaner
06-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Thats pretty sick. If thats full, that'd be a great place to go play. Good for them! From everything I heard on their fans from our road warriors who were there, they deserve it.

Gotta agree with you completely. The guys down in KC were some of the best MLS supporters I've met. I really hope they can fill the new stadium because they are pure class.

And yeah, like CretanBull said, they are building a whole new civic complex around the stadium with hotels, shops, and whatnot. I think the idea is to make a mid-America vacation spot. If anyone here hasn't been to KC, start planning for our away game next year because you won't be disappointed.

Waggy
06-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Thats the price tag for the developement of the whole area. It's going to be an isolated one-stop tourist location, pretty much in the middle of nowhere (between the airport and downtown, so good for tourists) on the Missourri side of the boarder (current stadium is in Kansas). They're building a 5 star hotel, restaurants of a similar calibre (ie actual restaurants, not McDonalds), a shopping mall with high-end retailers & brands etc.

Oohh ok, makes much more sense. Probably a good investment too. Well, hopefully next trip I'll be able to head down there! Whats the time frame on htis thing? I'm assuming not in time for next season right?

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Just another reason to get pissed at MLSE... We fill BMO week after week and we can't even get a flippin roof.

Beach_Red
06-11-2009, 06:41 PM

I think this is the same company that developed Baltimore's harbour. They also have plans for a huge development at Woodbine racetrack. It looks great (I've seen the model) but it is way out at Woodbine. I'd rather have BMO where it is.

CretanBull
06-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Oohh ok, makes much more sense. Probably a good investment too. Well, hopefully next trip I'll be able to head down there! Whats the time frame on htis thing? I'm assuming not in time for next season right?

Not next season...they had just started to break ground when we were down there, but had already been forced to stop working for some reason (politics, I think?).

I highly recomend everyone visit KC...just ecchoing what KD said, but everything about the trip was great. I've got nothing but good things to say about KC & the supporters down there.

Redcoe15
06-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Good for Kansas City, if they can get their stadium to look like that. But please don't compare BMO Field to their stadium, or any other stadium. It may not be the best, but it's the supporters that make it special.

NateDoGG
06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
glad the mls is gettin lots of world class stadiums now
makes bmo look like a piece of shit

jimiv
06-11-2009, 06:58 PM
A roof? Damn it.

and grass as well

prizby
06-11-2009, 07:05 PM
glad the mls is gettin lots of world class stadiums now
makes bmo look like a piece of shit

wouldn't call them world class...seating numbers are a problem

CretanBull
06-11-2009, 07:16 PM
^Their attendence numbers suck because they play in a crappy baseball park, with poor sight lines (there was a giant light post right in front of our section!). In a new building, they'll draw well.

stu!
06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
First of all, KC is one of the greatest cities in North America. The Mid-West people are the greatest folk you could ever meet. Seriously, Southern Hospitality has nothing on the Mid-Western Charm. One of my best friends lives there and I visit every year to watch my beloved Chiefs.

Secondly, people are correct when saying that the stadium will be half full of empty seats. FRom someone with a good knowledge of KC, I can tell you first hand that the only "football" these folks will ever love is the American style. 3 times I've been in town for a Chiefs game when the Wizards were playing the night before at Arrowhead. Now granted, Arrowhead is a monster stadium and way to big for this team, but I checked the next day and there were barely 10,000 there each time. I usually stay across from the Stadium and the parking lot was always virtually empty.

It looks like a great stadium and I will surely take in a game there one day but KC loves football firstly and everything else is a close 7th.

K1nG
06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I like that stadium because the front row is almost at the touchline as opposed to BMO where there is that area where people sit at private tables between the front row and the pitch.

flatpicker
06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
man oh man oh man oh man...

I know... the whole dissing BMO thing is tiresome to some people...
But face it... it was built on the cheap, and it is so outclassed by these new venues being built!

rocker
06-11-2009, 08:46 PM
man oh man oh man oh man...

I know... the whole dissing BMO thing is tiresome to some people...
But face it... it was built on the cheap, and it is so outclassed by these new venues being built!

but my thing is you can say "Great Stadium KC!" or "Great Stadium Red Bull!" with out comparing it to BMO.

And the comparisons lead to complaints, which take everything totally out of context.
TFC fans complain about BMO... they'd be long gone by now if TFC had played 13 years in baseball or NFL stadiums.

I'm sure Red BUll and KC fans would have preferred to have BMO Field in 1996 than sufferring so long.

I think the new Red Bull Arena is awesome. And that's I need to say. :)

flatpicker
06-11-2009, 08:54 PM
^ I don't disagree with any of what you say.

But, opinions are based on what you know (or think you know)
And what we know is BMO... and what we are seeing is great venues being built elsewhere.
The comparisons are inevitable.

Absolutely the BMO we have is better than some of the alternatives we could have ended up with.
I am thankful we got it.

CretanBull
06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't have a problem with BMO...I wouldn't call it nice, but it is what it is and it suits our purposes. I took my friend to the game vs. LA and it was his first game - he thought the stadium was a piece of shit. He couldn't believe that a team as popular as TFC plays in a 'tin can'.

Jack
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
The quality of BMO Field is the least of our worries at the moment.

I get the feeling some people look for any little thing to bitch about

FluSH
06-11-2009, 09:05 PM

Great fans... Great City... Even better Food... I would go back to KC for a roadtrip in a heartbeat...

http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/t1_arthurbryantbbq.jpg

BakaGaijin
06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Isn't this the same kind of development that Phoenix decided to build for the Coyotes in Glendale?!?

I wonder how that's doing...........???

Dirk Diggler
06-11-2009, 10:52 PM
The stadium isn't worldclass by any stretch but they seemed to have gotten the basics right ... seats close to the pitch, grass, proper roof covering the two main stands etc. Looks like a proper football stadium from the lower divisions of England.

Stilts
06-12-2009, 12:10 AM
People need to really lay of MLSE, and get an education about the things they speak on.

To build a stadium like that in a big city, you would need a ton of funding from the city and financial partners, lots of open space, tons of planning, etc..

It's simply not easily feasible in a big city, with limit space for a small league(which is why the Nets, who are moving to Brooklyn had to cut the price of their new stadium by 75 percent).

Spending 1 billion on a stadium, for a garbage league, on a team they didn't know would even make money, would have been a really stupid business move by MLSE. They didn't even spend that much for the Leafs or Raptors, but eventually expanded (Maple Leaf Square).

BMO is a great stadium. Honestly, I feel the stadium is perfect for the size of the league. If every team had a stadium much like BMO (with grass however), MLSE would get much more respect.

There is an article on TSN.ca right now where MLSE said grass is going into BMO. But, they said it takes time, it doesn't happen at the snap of your fingers. MLSE doesn't own BMO, and they have to get complete approavl from the city council, from BMO, and wait while a firm designs up installation plans for the new pitch.

If we keep supporting TFC, they will eventually expand the stadium. Just like they did for the ACC. It all takes time.

No offense, but TFC is a horrible team, in one of the worst soccer leagues on earth. It's going to take time for the league to grow, and the fan support to grow before MLSE dives in with the big dollars.

Remember, they are commited to doing it, and knows what it takes. They were very close to purchasing one of a number of Premiership teams last year. They aren't stupid, they know the money that needs to be spent.

We may not have the best stadiums, but overall Toronto has great sport facilities, in great locations. Locations that would be better suited for a variety of other things, that would make the city much more money. Shit, our stadium could be stuck in the middle of a new development like half the pro teams in North America.

Detroit_TFC
06-12-2009, 08:02 AM
I got reacquainted with the "hand of justice" at the US MNT v Honduras game in Chicago. The KC guys bring it everywhere! (off-topic but the road trippers will get the reference)

Yohan
06-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I got reacquainted with the "hand of justice" at the US MNT v Honduras game in Chicago. The KC guys bring it everywhere! (off-topic but the road trippers will get the reference)
hahahahaha. i miss the HoJ. good times!

stu!
06-12-2009, 08:10 AM

100% correct!! This whole board is turning into a giant complaint thread!! From the pitch to some dude hawking counterfeit shirts to complaining about people selling their tickets for face value or below to the stadium not being up to par to the FO. etc etc etc....

Some folks are never happy unless they have something to whine about.

stu!
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Great fans... Great City... Even better Food... I would go back to KC for a roadtrip in a heartbeat...

http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/t1_arthurbryantbbq.jpg

ooooooh Bryants...... Next time give Gates BBQ a try. They have a combo sandwich 2nd to none....

Also, if you see the Smokehouse BBQ (there's one just south of the airport), I HIGHLY recommend the burnt ends.

Stouffville_RPB
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM

Exactly.

BMO was very cheap to build. How much will this cost?

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-12-2009, 08:14 AM
People need to really lay of MLSE, and get an education about the things they speak on.

To build a stadium like that in a big city, you would need a ton of funding from the city and financial partners, lots of open space, tons of planning, etc..

It's simply not easily feasible in a big city, with limit space for a small league(which is why the Nets, who are moving to Brooklyn had to cut the price of their new stadium by 75 percent).

Spending 1 billion on a stadium, for a garbage league, on a team they didn't know would even make money, would have been a really stupid business move by MLSE. They didn't even spend that much for the Leafs or Raptors, but eventually expanded (Maple Leaf Square).

BMO is a great stadium. Honestly, I feel the stadium is perfect for the size of the league. If every team had a stadium much like BMO (with grass however), MLSE would get much more respect.

There is an article on TSN.ca right now where MLSE said grass is going into BMO. But, they said it takes time, it doesn't happen at the snap of your fingers. MLSE doesn't own BMO, and they have to get complete approavl from the city council, from BMO, and wait while a firm designs up installation plans for the new pitch.

If we keep supporting TFC, they will eventually expand the stadium. Just like they did for the ACC. It all takes time.

No offense, but TFC is a horrible team, in one of the worst soccer leagues on earth. It's going to take time for the league to grow, and the fan support to grow before MLSE dives in with the big dollars.

Remember, they are commited to doing it, and knows what it takes. They were very close to purchasing one of a number of Premiership teams last year. They aren't stupid, they know the money that needs to be spent.

We may not have the best stadiums, but overall Toronto has great sport facilities, in great locations. Locations that would be better suited for a variety of other things, that would make the city much more money. Shit, our stadium could be stuck in the middle of a new development like half the pro teams in North America.
MLSE expanded the ACC to provide more comfort and amenities to draw in even more corporates. They're well-known as one of the richest sports empires on the planet, why is it that KC with their triple-digit attendance can build a world-class stadium and we get one that doesn't even have four stands, a roof, grass or even a real structure around it? You can see under the stands FFS. BS. Building BMO would have been a perfect opportunity to take an area of the waterfront and build a whole development with the stadium as the centre as KC and Philly are doing, but as usual, MLSE go the cheapest possible route. Don't make excuses for these guys. The stadiums going up around the league now just further highlight how poorly MLSE have done this since day one. Instead of looking to go out and buy Sheffield Wednesday, maybe they could work on having at least ONE of their teams win something?

Yohan
06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
MLSE expanded the ACC to provide more comfort and amenities to draw in even more corporates. They're well-known as one of the richest sports empires on the planet, why is it that KC with their triple-digit attendance can build a world-class stadium and we get one that doesn't even have four stands, a roof, grass or even a real structure around it? You can see under the stands FFS. BS. Building BMO would have been a perfect opportunity to take an area of the waterfront and build a whole development with the stadium as the centre as KC and Philly are doing, but as usual, MLSE go the cheapest possible route. Don't make excuses for these guys. The stadiums going up around the league now just further highlight how poorly MLSE have done this since day one.
your post would have made more sense if it was brought up when BMO Field was being designed

Detroit_TFC
06-12-2009, 08:32 AM
MLS is not one of the worst leagues in the world. It's not even close to being one of the worst first division in the world. You might argue that it is poorly run or inefficient for the revenue generated, etc., but head to head to literally hundreds of football leagues around the world, there are people who would die to have what we have.

Not liking something doesn't necessarily mean it is objectively bad.

TorontoBlades
06-12-2009, 08:32 AM

I'd be hard pressed to see any complaints about BMO here. On my part at least, I was not compaining - it was more like stating a fact. They will have a better stadium than us - does that change how I feel about BMO...not at all

boban
06-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Who says anything about spending $1 billion??
They went on the cheap. Chicago and RSL and other spent $100 million, some even more. While I am not advocating that, sure if they spent around $80 total, we would have a nice stadium without much to complain - at least only penis envy. Some of the complaints are legit. And this 'city owns it' argument is bs for a large part as far as invetment goes. There are stadiums all over US where the city or state owns it, but the main tenant still dumped serious money into the project.

Jack
06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I'd be hard pressed to see any complaints about BMO here. On my part at least, I was not compaining - it was more like stating a fact. They will have a better stadium than us - does that change how I feel about BMO...not at all
Sorry, it wasn't directed at you, but at some of the responses.

Some people are just gunning for MLSE at any and all costs.

Personally, I have a legitimate gripe with the way the Madrid friendly was handled and the screwing of the schedule. I have a gripe about the promised player moves which has been somewhat mitigated (though not completely) by the moves this week, especially if Gerba signs. I want to see grass but I am also aware that there is a process in place and serious efforts are being made by all involved to make this happen.

TorontoBlades
06-12-2009, 09:44 AM
^ and I know that if you're persitent and patient with your views - it may not happen overnight or this season - but this club will only get better, world-class one day

Fort York Redcoat
06-12-2009, 09:50 AM
I'll go to KC now.

fetajr
06-12-2009, 09:58 AM

lol..

however I have always felt that BMO was a half-assed approach at building a stadium... i guess b/c the stakeholders didn't want to lose too much money if TFC failed. Alot of us will continue looking at other stadiums with envy until something is done to make BMO the ideal stadium (grass, roofs over bleachers, filling in the corner btw 111 and 112..etc) and less half assed.

Southender
06-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Hindsight sure is 20/20, isn't it?

Marc"2L"
06-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I think building a terrace and pouring a little concrete could fix a lot of issues at BMO.

Terrace for uniqueness, concrete for where the rest of the IKEA set has to go.

CretanBull
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Hand of Justice! Hand of Justice! Hand of Justice! Hand of Justice!

Cashcleaner
06-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Where's our HoJ? :(

Rudi
06-12-2009, 04:38 PM
your post would have made more sense if it was brought up when BMO Field was being designed
Or if MLSE was ever actually allowed to own BMO Field, which can never happen under the Exhibition Place constitution.

Why would they spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a stadium they'll never own?

Rudi
06-12-2009, 04:40 PM
There are stadiums all over US where the city or state owns it, but the main tenant still dumped serious money into the project.
Please name them.

Cashcleaner
06-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Or if MLSE was ever actually allowed to own BMO Field, which can never happen under the Exhibition Place constitution.

Why would they spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a stadium they'll never own?

Is the CNE grounds city or provincial land? I bet if it was the city it would be easier to buy.

Rudi
06-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Is the CNE grounds city or provincial land? I bet if it was the city it would be easier to buy.
It used to be federal land, but was transferred to the City years ago.

From what I can remember from the old stadium threads on the V's board, the City cannot sell off any buildings or land on Exhibition Place to private interest.

If they could, the cash-starved City would have sold off that entire parcel of valuable land to developers long ago.

CretanBull
06-12-2009, 04:51 PM

No idea, but the "Canadian National" Ex might even be Federal land?

jimiv
06-12-2009, 05:02 PM
No idea, but the "Canadian National" Ex might even be Federal land?

From the City of Toronto's site...

http://www.toronto.ca/exhibitionplace/images/gate1.jpgExhibition Place
Toronto, Ontario
M6K 3C3
Inquiry: 416-263-3600
Facsimile: 416-263-3690
Exhibition Place (http://www.explace.on.ca/) is a unique site situated along the shores of Lake Ontario immediately west of downtown Toronto.
Consisting of approximately 192 acres of parkland with many historical buildings that are owned by the City of Toronto and managed by a board of governors (http://www.toronto.ca/exhibitionplace/BOG_info.htm)

Cashcleaner
06-12-2009, 07:04 PM
It used to be federal land, but was transferred to the City years ago.

From what I can remember from the old stadium threads on the V's board, the City cannot sell off any buildings or land on Exhibition Place to private interest.

If they could, the cash-starved City would have sold off that entire parcel of valuable land to developers long ago.

Oh for sure. Thats what I don't understand. If it's city land, I don't see why they wouldn't sell some it off - especially now given the debt we're in.

RicoSuave44
06-13-2009, 02:15 AM
HAHAHA. Anyone notice the scrolling video board in the 2nd pic. It says "tonight's game sold out". Good to know the artist has a sense of humour.