View Full Version : Nick Garcia adds experience to Toronto FC's defence

johnmolinaro
06-11-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/06/11/sp-nick-garcia.html

John

Shaughno
06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Fantastic article.

"For me, getting refreshed and rejuvenated and getting a new start here is good," he said. "Toronto needs someone like me in the back to organize things, so with me being one of the guys with the most MLS experience, I hope to help the guys around me."

Carts
06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Nice article...

Garcia quote: "Toronto needs someone like me in the back to organize things, so with me being one of the guys with the most MLS experience, I hope to help the guys around me."

He certainly doesn't lack confidence - and that's good... If he's going to take control and be the leader back there, he needs that confidence that he can do it - the others will see it and respond to it (hopefully)...

Carts...

Jay P
06-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Classic Mojo.

Garcia could be the first of two defensive additions for Toronto FC, as Johnston said he hopes to make a deal for another defender.
"There's one more [player] we'd like to get. We'll see if it materializes," the GM said.
Part of the trade with San Jose also saw Toronto pick up the rights to Ali Gerba, a Canadian forward who became a free agent after recently being let go by English club MK Dons.
Johnston said he hopes to fly Gerba into town this weekend for negotiation purposes and sign the 27-year-old forward by early next week.
"I'm very confident I can get something done [on] Monday or Tuesday," Johnston revealed

sully
06-11-2009, 04:01 PM
"Toronto needs someone like me in the back to organize things, so with me being one of the guys with the most MLS experience, I hope to help the guys around me."

I remember Marshall said almost the exact same thing word-for-word..

cochrdoc
06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
San Jose is happy that he is out of town so they can reorganize there defence.We still need a defender and some punch up front

Yohan
06-11-2009, 05:28 PM
"Toronto needs someone like me in the back to organize things, so with me being one of the guys with the most MLS experience, I hope to help the guys around me."

except Garcia was San Jose's captain, and as CB, has good experience organizing defence. he led SJ defence that only gave up 38 goals last season. that's a pretty tight bum defence in MLS

he learned a lot of his craft from Jimmy Conrad, who has been among top MLS defenders in last 7-8 years

MLS Cup, US Open Cup, plus USMNT cap. that's a solid resume.

yeah, he's expensive, but I rate this dude just underneath Boswell, Chad Marshall and Jimmy Conrad and with other MLS defenders like Jhon Kennedy, Serioux, Chris Albright.

you won't find many MLS defenders with his kind of experience

Super
06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Hmm, well, always interesting to see new players join our squad. Not sure this is the answer, though. I guess time will tell.

Beach_Red
06-11-2009, 06:48 PM

A lot of people would probably have been happy with a straight up Marshall for Garcia trade. Marshall is older and will be lost for international games.

ManUtd4ever
06-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Adding Garcia and Gerba will definitely upgrade our roster in the areas that need it most, but an absent DP slot on our roster with our fan support and revenue is unacceptable...

rocker
06-11-2009, 08:18 PM
I'll reserve judgement. But the guy cost basically nothing for a 30 year old with massive MLS experience (3rd round draft pick is nothing) and he's better than Harmse and Velez, so it's gotta be an improvement, right?

Dirk Diggler
06-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I'll reserve judgement. But the guy cost basically nothing for a 30 year old with massive MLS experience (3rd round draft pick is nothing) and he's better than Harmse and Velez, so it's gotta be an improvement, right?

In a salary cap league, taking on a contract is not "nothing".

rocker
06-11-2009, 11:22 PM
In a salary cap league, taking on a contract is not "nothing".

Sutton was released, problem solved cap wise.
Sutton was doing basically nothing.

jloome
06-12-2009, 08:40 PM
You'd think if he and Mojo were actually buddy buddy, Garcia would have come last year, since Mo claims he's been pursuing him for awhile. Garcia was out of contract, and just signed a new deal with MLS before this season.

jloome
06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
except Garcia was San Jose's captain, and as CB, has good experience organizing defence. he led SJ defence that only gave up 38 goals last season. that's a pretty tight bum defence in MLS

he learned a lot of his craft from Jimmy Conrad, who has been among top MLS defenders in last 7-8 years

MLS Cup, US Open Cup, plus USMNT cap. that's a solid resume.

yeah, he's expensive, but I rate this dude just underneath Boswell, Chad Marshall and Jimmy Conrad and with other MLS defenders like Jhon Kennedy, Serioux, Chris Albright.

you won't find many MLS defenders with his kind of experience

I'd rate Hurtado above everyone on that list, not just below them. And Bobby Boswell managed to have an entire "off" season just two years ago, so I wouldn't rank him with Marshall and Conrad.

All subjective, of course.

Sullivan
06-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Garcia, a much required upgrade at CB, acquired.
Base salary = $190,000.

Sutton, Frei's insurance, released.
Base Salary = $157,500.00

Chad Barrett = works hard, contributes little, retained.
Base Salary = $195,000.00

If it was solely a business decision, I would have gambled on the money side. Drop an American and to add an American.

I support the decision to acquire Garcia, he's a horse - a proven starter with huge minutes played in every MLS season. Not injury prone and not in the USSF NT set-up. An upgrade on Harmse and Velez any and every way we look at it.

Sutton, well, I'm disappointed to see him leave. He was an expensive insurance policy to have sitting on the bench, but excellent motivation for Frei and enhanced that competitive element for all three keepers. I'm betting Frei is "Edu" bound in the off-season. Leaving us with Edwards.

Barrett, I'm gutted that he's still in the picture, and ... he's being paid very well but he delivers so little. Al-be-it, it's not deliberate that he lacks the goods to finish. He is what he is; and he remains what he was in Chicago, a guy who wilts in the box.

rec'd this email from a red bull fan today -
Why do Barrett's teammates call him"Jigsaw"?
Because he falls to pieces when entering the box.

I don't like it, but .... its a cruel funny...

Yohan
06-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I'd rate Hurtado above everyone on that list, not just below them. And Bobby Boswell managed to have an entire "off" season just two years ago, so I wouldn't rank him with Marshall and Conrad.

All subjective, of course.
Hurtado barely played half a season in MLS, compared with guys like Marshall, Conrad and Boswell.

If he stays in the league (and that's a huge IF) and continues to perform like he is right now, he'll probably be one of best MLS defenders (up there with Ryan Nelsen and Bocanegra).

Houston has been a defensive powerhouse for a reason. Boswell is key reason why (even if he had an 'off' season)

rocker
06-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Hurtado barely played half a season in MLS, compared with guys like Marshall, Conrad and Boswell.

If he stays in the league (and that's a huge IF) and continues to perform like he is right now, he'll probably be one of best MLS defenders (up there with Ryan Nelsen and Bocanegra).

Yup, and eventually his salary will be high. Then as with anything in MLS, the team will have to pay him the money and jettison other players or let him go.
They are very lucky to have him for less than 40K right now, but my guess is his next few years will not be that low.