PDA

View Full Version : Mo "promises to address all issues tomorrow"?

trane
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I thought today was tomorrow, or is tomorrow tomorrow, and today is just today? But will tomorrow be today again?

Shakes McQueen
06-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Were the roster moves yesterday what he meant by "addressing all issues", perhaps?

I hope not, haha.

- Scott

Super
06-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Apparently he is going to hold a press conference tomorrow with Tom Anselmi to address a whole host of issues - including the criticism of the Real Madrid game. Not sure why the conference was moved a day, but I do believe it is still scheduled to happen.

trane
06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Shakes, that is what I was thinking.

reggie
06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
i think tomorrow will be yesterday news...

Marco2K
06-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Here is what i am hoping for.

Barrett has been traded to some team for allocation cash.
Ricketts has been released. Or traded if someone is crazy.

Sign Gerba and Smith.

Keep Vitti and let him play with Gerba and smith.

It is time for chad to go.
SAme with ricketts. Was watching off the pitch last night. He is dumb. He talks and talks. Everytime mentioning himself like he is a celeb. Come on. guy has done nothing in almost a full 24 months.

let some flesh blood in without really hurting the team.

reggie
06-10-2009, 07:31 PM
what will mo say tomorrow...
- smith will be the best left footed player in the mls.
- i have been after garcia and gerba for 3 yrs now
- i have signed 4 players from brazil but they are having visa probs and may take 2 yrs to get them.
- " look we are building something special here"
- sutton asked me to cut him because his wife got a job in dallas

trane
06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
^ You should be his PR man.

Super
06-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Tom Anselmi is also supposed to be there and will be addressing the criticism against the Real Madrid friendly. So I expect it to be a pretty heavy press conference.

InTheCrowd
06-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Ya, I'm sure many teams are eager to snap up Barrett's 4 year contract.
I think you got it twisted. Other teams would be crazy to acquire Barrett, not Ricketts.

Sign Gerba and Smith.
Gerba yes! Smith, no thank you.

Of course we're keeping Vitti lol, it's only a 1 year deal. Yes let him play with Gerba, however not with Smith, because we better not sign him.

We can only dream lol.

SAme with ricketts. Was watching off the pitch last night. He is dumb. He talks and talks. Everytime mentioning himself like he is a celeb. Come on. guy has done nothing in almost a full 24 months.
I'm not saying he hasn't been playing poorly, however if we gave him as much pitch time as Barrett he'd be playing much better. Barrett's a very nice guy, and has a very good situation here with his contract, but he needs to get back to his game from last season.

Opinions in red.

trane
06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
^ I agree with the Vitti thing in regard to pitch time. He has some serious skill, and needs at least three more straight 90 minute games, if he get that and he does not perform then evaluate him. However, I would like to see him moved to a more AM or CM role.

poppamidnight
06-10-2009, 08:07 PM
If we get Gerba immediately, Chad will be ushered out ASAP...

Vitti will be kept until OBW is safely back to full health.

Even when OBW is back Vitti could be kept depending on the cap numbers for Smith + Gerba...

I get the feeling Rohann could be gone,

Chad is my #1 choice to go.... Such a ridiculous contract... WHY WHY WHY Mo?

Shway
06-10-2009, 11:11 PM

Ya, I'm sure many teams are eager to snap up Barrett's 4 year contract.
I think you got it twisted. Other teams would be crazy to acquire Barrett, not Ricketts.

Sign Gerba and Smith.
Gerba yes! Smith, no thank you.

Of course we're keeping Vitti lol, it's only a 1 year deal. Yes let him play with Gerba, however not with Smith, because we better not sign him.

We can only dream lol.

I'm not saying he hasn't been playing poorly, however if we gave him as much pitch time as Barrett he'd be playing much better. Barrett's a very nice guy, and has a very good situation here with his contract, but he needs to get back to his game from last season.

Opinions in red.

COuldnt agree anymore with you, your right on!!!
No SMITH
RICKETTS MORE PT, LESS FOR CHAYNE BOONEY

NateDoGG
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM
i like ricketts, he just doesnt get enough playing time, when rickkets and guevara are playing together they link up perfectly...

Marco2K
06-11-2009, 05:14 AM
More Rickkets? damn!!!

Derko
06-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Yes Ricketts should get more time on the field. I do like Vitti's skill on the ball.
Barrett has been a disappointment, needs some time on the bench, he could come on as a sub.

Flashman
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I thought today was tomorrow, or is tomorrow tomorrow, and today is just today? But will tomorrow be today again?

Tomorrow is a mystery, and yesterday is history; but today is a gift...that's why they call it the present:D

lololol

Chevy
06-11-2009, 09:22 AM

No, today is today and tomorrow is tomorrow. However tomorrow, today will be yesterday and tomorrow will remain as such.

The Kingpin
06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
So.... Ummmm.... Anything yet?

Corpand
06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Well they will sure have the wind in their sails today after Ronaldo's signing for Madrid. "You get what you pay for".

Nodoubtguy
06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
"were bringing Kaka, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Casillas, Ramos and more international starts to Toronto< so pay up!!"

Cuz
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Mo is addressing ALL issues? Does that mean he is giving up coke again??? lol

trane
06-11-2009, 10:11 AM
No, today is today and tomorrow is tomorrow. However tomorrow, today will be yesterday and tomorrow will remain as such.

So today, is not tomorrow but today, but will tomorrow be tomorrow?

Kickit09
06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
waiting :toetap05:

trane
06-11-2009, 11:03 AM
^ You will wait untill "tomorrow".

TFC USA
06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Mo: Because of the incessant bitching from the Red Patch Boys forum members on my management, I've made Carlos Ruiz our DP. Eat that you cock-sucking motherfuckers.

trane
06-11-2009, 11:11 AM
^ That would result in a riot.

Roogsy
06-11-2009, 11:11 AM
:lol:

trane
06-11-2009, 11:19 AM
We shuold get a banner "Mo Says Tommorow"

Suds
06-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Well they will sure have the wind in their sails today after Ronaldo's signing for Madrid. "You get what you pay for".

Yeah, I can see Anselmi trying to spin this like MLSE had some freakin' idea Kaka and Ronaldo were going to be here when MLSE signed Real to play ... "see, we're bringin in players like Ronaldo and Kaka ... the record transfer players of all time"

alexintoronto
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
PREB3PDzjzg

mastermixer
06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
doesn't every day have a "tomorrow"?
We could be waiting a while....

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-11-2009, 11:40 AM
So, um, if yesterday he said tomorrow, that means today... or has it been postponed again?

Kickit09
06-11-2009, 11:45 AM
So, um, if yesterday he said tomorrow, that means today... or has it been postponed again?

He said "tomorrow" 2 days ago, but he and Tom Anselmi live in a different dimension so who knows.

sully
06-11-2009, 11:51 AM
He said "tomorrow" 2 days ago, but he and Tom Anselmi live in a different dimension so who knows.

Was securing Gerba's rights and bringing in the new guy addressing the issues and that's what he meant 2 days ago as those developments happened yesterday?

Kickit09
06-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Was securing Gerba's rights and bringing in the new guy addressing the issues and that's what he meant 2 days ago as those developments happened yesterday?

thats what im starting to think. :(

Ossington Mental Youth
06-11-2009, 11:59 AM
id be a bit amazed if it was anything else

FluSH
06-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Is it tomorrow yet?

Shep
06-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Apparently he is going to hold a press conference tomorrow with Tom Anselmi to address a whole host of issues - including the criticism of the Real Madrid game. Not sure why the conference was moved a day, but I do believe it is still scheduled to happen.

Not debating the truth of this, but can you link me to the article/news that talks about the press conference? Or an official announcement that they were/are going to hold one.

All I've seen regarding it are the posts here, someone talking about a SUN article. The one post that mentions the press conference also states that they are 'assuming' he will be addressing the issues during a PC.

Super
06-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Not debating the truth of this, but can you link me to the article/news that talks about the press conference? Or an official announcement that they were/are going to hold one.

All I've seen regarding it are the posts here, someone talking about a SUN article. The one post that mentions the press conference also states that they are 'assuming' he will be addressing the issues during a PC.

I read about it in the SUN article. So you think the writer made it up?

Super
06-11-2009, 12:07 PM
From TorontoFC.ca:

"Garcia will arrive in Toronto this week and be available for comment after Toronto FC training on Thursday. Media should arrive no later than 11:15 a.m. Manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston will also be available for comment on these moves during training on Thursday. "

So I guess that's all Mo will do today. A quick talk with the media at today's training. No Tom Anselmi.

ilikemusic
06-11-2009, 12:07 PM
NwNuQulK6N0

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-11-2009, 12:09 PM
NwNuQulK6N0
I was just thinking of that one, actually. :D

ExiledRed
06-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Live feed from Mo's conference.

Yop62wQH498

The Kingpin
06-11-2009, 12:21 PM
And as per - nothing.

NateDoGG
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
And as per - nothing.

i agree...
dont tell us ur gonna address the issues tomorrow, and then just not do it.

yellowfellow
06-11-2009, 12:37 PM
same old MoJo....

Super
06-11-2009, 12:37 PM
i agree...
dont tell us ur gonna address the issues tomorrow, and then just not do it.

Yeah - that would be breaking a promise. Something he's never done - along with Tom Anselmi. :rolleyes:

trane
06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Live feed from Mo's conference.

Yop62wQH498

Classic. Yoko ono as well. Tommorow never comes. Fuck funny ture and painfull.

trane
06-11-2009, 12:41 PM
^ That kind of looks like a young Slo-Mo.

cy43
06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
To be fair none of you heard Month say he would. Someone at the sun said he would and for all we know that could've been taken completely our of context ya?

cincy
06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
there is video up at toronto fc tv if anyone is interested

Carts
06-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Let's sing "tomorrow" for Vitti...

VITTI WILL SCORE, TOMORROW...
BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR THAT TOMORROW...
VITTI WILL SCORRRRE...
TOMORROW, TOMORROW...
YOU'LL DEFINTELY SCORE, TOMORROW...
VITTI'S ALWAYS A DAY AWAY...

Carts...

PS: this is a joke - no we won't actually sing this to the kid at a game! :)

NateDoGG
06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah - that would be breaking a promise. Something he's never done - along with Tom Anselmi. :rolleyes:

i expect more from our former gaffer

trane
06-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Let's sing "tomorrow" for Vitti...

VITTI WILL SCORE, TOMORROW...
BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR THAT TOMORROW...
VITTI WILL SCORRRRE...
TOMORROW, TOMORROW...
YOU'LL DEFINTELY SCORE, TOMORROW...
VITTI'S ALWAYS A DAY AWAY...

Carts...

PS: this is a joke - no we won't actually sing this to the kid at a game! :)

That works in som many wayst, instead of Vitti, you can insert Barret, or "we will sign a striker tommorow" or " we will keep a clean sheet tomorrow" "we will win the canadian championship tommorow" ext. ext., that can be our YWNWA.

Carts
06-11-2009, 12:53 PM
there is video up at toronto fc tv if anyone is interested

Mo Jo on GERBA:
- confident he can get him singed...
- hopefully have him at the match on Saturday...
- hopefully "something done" Monday or Tuesday...

Carts...

trane
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
^ So that. I guess that informal scrum was the press conference were he answerd everthing.

DaBandit
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
^^ thanks carts.. no volume at the office, so that really helped..

cheers.

Carts
06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
^ So that. I guess that informal scrum was the press conference were he answerd everthing.

Looks like it - and in all reality, a scrum is all that's needed as long as it gets the msg out (although I bet the sponsors want him in front of the fancy background wallpaper :))...

Carts...

Nuvinho
06-11-2009, 01:00 PM
So he hopes to get Gerba at the game this Saturday? But is going to get things done Monday or Tuesday.

I am assuming when he said he will be at the game Saturday, its just in the press box.

DaBandit
06-11-2009, 01:00 PM
if gerba is signed monday or tuesday, any chance you think we'll see him on wednesday in mtl?

gmacpheetfc
06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
was this scrum today?

Beach_Red
06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Mo Jo on GERBA:

Carts...

And, "one more piece of the puzzle," being worked on.

But no mention of a DP.

gmacpheetfc
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
game is thursday so why not

DaBandit
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
'one more piece of the puzzle' = smith??

Carts
06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
So he hopes to get Gerba at the game this Saturday? But is going to get things done Monday or Tuesday.

I am assuming when he said he will be at the game Saturday, its just in the press box.

Correct... Mo hopes to "...have him here..." on Saturday... When they asked about signing him he said "...hopefully Monday or Tuesday..."

Carts...

The Kingpin
Mo Jo on GERBA:

Carts...

Sounds like a whole lot-o-nothing...

DaBandit
ya ur right it's thursday, my fault..

Beach_Red
06-11-2009, 01:06 PM

He also said the money didn't bother him - and seeing as how they went through this last year, he must have a good idea what the amount would be.

But you know, it's all lawyers and agents now....

grizzle
06-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Damn, they got Garcia training fast:

"I woke up on Tuesday morning and John Doyle the GM in San Jose asked for a meeting with me where he told me I had been traded to Toronto," said Garcia. "I got on a plane that afternoon and was here by midnight!"

http://footytweets.com/toronto/news/92478

Pachuco
06-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Geeze never heard that before. We want to bring him in for a game and then sign him early next week. You know how this all ends boys...

Ali Gerba declines because he took one step on the fieldturf and realized it was concrete instead.

DaBandit
06-11-2009, 01:13 PM
^ Good point.. same horror story we've seen before..

Jay P
06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Geeze never heard that before. We want to bring him in for a game and then sign him early next week. You know how this all ends boys...

Ali Gerba declines because he took one step on the fieldturf and realized it was concrete instead.

Mo can promise Grass in August :cool:

Hooligan69
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM

Predictable result.

Kickit09
06-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Yup, same old whole lot-o-nothing from Mo. This is his idea of addressing all the issues? The team just got a tiny little bit better, but that's it. Not even enough to be confident of playoffs. And about that "one more piece of the puzzle being worked on" comment, he also said something like "we'll see if it works out" so don't get your hopes up. Mo is a bum. Hope he's enjoying his 5 year paid vacation. :prrr:

sampace
06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
When do we get to see Mo's conference where he addresses all of the TFC issues? Grass? Real Madrid discounted ticket prices? CB? CF? Gerba? DP? Let's see the signs that you are actually doing something. Where is the press conference to announce a major free agent signing like we have never seen before? Someone from the Italian League, a big name from AC Milan moving to TFC in time for the Chin International Picnic perhaps!

phonzo
06-11-2009, 02:11 PM
tomorrow :p

Shep
06-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I read about it in the SUN article. So you think the writer made it up?

I looked, couldn't find anything, so I asked for a link... didn't suggest anyone was making anything up. Did I?

Everyone was getting all fired up about the so-called press conference and when it was supposed to happen. As it turns out there wasn't a press conference at all. That's why I was asking, I don't get my facts from msg boards, and I'm not going to get on the upset bandwagon based on rumors.

If there was an official announcement about a press conference and they backed off from it, I'd join in the chorus, but nope, they didn't.

I'm just not into constantly being pissed of and angry about MLSE or TFC. I'm here to support and enjoy myself. If there is good cause to be upset I will, but so many threads here are just stirring shit up.

Sorry you took my request for a link the wrong way, hence why I started the reply by saying I wasn't debating the truth, just looking for it.

SilverSamurai
06-11-2009, 02:22 PM

He knows about the turf. He played here for the WCQ against Jamaica...

reggie
06-11-2009, 02:35 PM
much about nothing...go back into hiding MO.

rocker
06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Actually a very interesting fact came out of the scrum -- that TFC had a discovery claim on Ali Gerba last year and actually wanted him last year, before he went to MK Dons.

Round these boards it was assumed Mo never had him on discovery, as many wondered why Yallop/Doyle did. Looks like the claim expired, as all claims do each year, after Mo gave it a shot... then Yallop/Doyle tried it, but didn't like the money amount, so SJ went for Cornell Glen instead and traded the rights back to Mo for squat.

Derko
06-11-2009, 02:59 PM
When do we get to see Mo's conference where he addresses all of the TFC issues? Grass? Real Madrid discounted ticket prices? CB? CF? Gerba? DP? Let's see the signs that you are actually doing something. Where is the press conference to announce a major free agent signing like we have never seen before? Someone from the Italian League, a big name from AC Milan moving to TFC in time for the Chin International Picnic perhaps!

You honestly believe that a big name from AC Milan will ever be signed to Toronto, I hope that comment was tongue-in-cheek, because I am laughing at the joke as I write this!!!!!

I am also as frustrated as the rest. Too many maybe's.

Waggy
06-11-2009, 03:15 PM
You honestly believe that a big name from AC Milan will ever be signed to Toronto, I hope that comment was tongue-in-cheek, because I am laughing at the joke as I write this!!!!!

I am also as frustrated as the rest. Too many maybe's.

hahahahah. too many maybes, not enough Mo, too many rookies, not enough pros! the game got switched on that teachers pension shit, so all ya'll can.... fill in the rest. BEYAAATCH!

Jay P
06-11-2009, 03:17 PM
credit goes to pawel on U-Sector.

Fan590 Report:
Anselmi says MLSE ready to cut check for grass, issue is brought up in fall to City, if city approves, grass likely for 2010
Real Madrid contractually obligated to play first team players for at least 45 min
Gerba contract being worked on next week

Nodoubtguy
06-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Fan590 Report:
Anselmi says MLSE ready to cut check for grass, issue is brought up in fall to City, if city approves, grass likely for 2010
Real Madrid contractually obligated to play first team players for at least 45 min

sounds like good steps

Oldtimer
06-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Fan590 Report:

We stand up to MLSE, we get grass in BMO.

Power to the supporters!!!! :flare::flare::flare::flare:

TFC Tifoso
06-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Fan590 Report:

they can say anything they want.....I'll believe it when I see it.....

ExiledRed
06-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Forgive me if I don't crack the champagne yet.

Rudi
06-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Forgive me if I don't crack the champagne yet.
Nah, we've been drinking it all celebrating the way things are...

And Oldtimer... really? All of that info was known well before any protest.

Pigfynn
Is it really possible that they will play their true first team though?

After all they just paid $250 million (that's right! a quarter of a billion dollars Canadian) for two new players. Are we to believe the powers that be are going to give them a run out on dead sod?

Nodoubtguy

After all the just paid $250 million (that's right! a quarter of a billion dollars Canadian) for two new players. Are we to believe the powers that be are going to give them a run out on dead sod?

its gonna be a 45 minute lite jog if anything

sully
06-11-2009, 03:30 PM

After all the just paid $250 million (that's right! a quarter of a billion dollars Canadian) for two new players. Are we to believe the powers that be are going to give them a run out on dead sod?

this "game" will be a photo shoot first and foremost....I think it's more likely much of the crowd will be more dazzled by Ronaldo's hair gel for the 10 minutes he'll jog around then anything else..

Jay P
06-11-2009, 03:32 PM

After all they just paid $250 million (that's right! a quarter of a billion dollars Canadian) for two new players. Are we to believe the powers that be are going to give them a run out on dead sod?

if you look @ Madrid's preseason sched, how do we know that whatever pitch they are training on in Ireland or where ever else is any better than Expensive dead grass?

I'm just saying...

DaBandit
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Why is 2010 the target date? If they meet with the city in the fall could they not get it in for next year? Does anyone know how much work is it to lay down grass?

and why is the meeti ng in the fall, could it not be sooner.. IMO it seems like another stall tactic, I hope I'm wrong as the boyz would have another season of running out on that crappy plastic..

Pigfynn
06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Why is 2010 the target date? If they meet with the city in the fall could they not get it in for next year? Does anyone know how much work is it to lay down grass?

and why is the meeti ng in the fall, could it not be sooner.. IMO it seems like another stall tactic, I hope I'm wrong as the boyz would have another season of running out on that crappy plastic..

uhhh isn't 2010 next year?

VPjr
06-11-2009, 03:39 PM
So, I'm still waiting for Mo and his bromance partner Anselmi to really address "all the issues".

If these fools think that signing a striker with a persistent weight problem who lost his place at MK Dons to a 40 year old Norwegian, a washed up defender who could not stick with the worst team in the league and the promise that "maybe the city of Toronto will let us lay grass at BMO in a year or two" will appease the knowledgeable supporters (the ones who can filter through his bullshit), they are sadly mistaken.

In politics, when you have lost the confidence of your consituency, the right thing to do is step down. Mo has no dignity so he will cling to this job with all he's got.

DaBandit
06-11-2009, 03:40 PM
sorry read 2011 somehow... well i feel a lot better about that then.. ML$E rocks then...lol

DaBandit
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
any takers that the decision on the grass will happen after the STH renewal period?

Pachuco
06-11-2009, 03:43 PM
uhhh isn't 2010 next year?

Well if tommorrow is not tommorrow then there's no way 2010 is next year :p

DaBandit
06-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Well if tommorrow is not tommorrow then there's no way 2010 is next year :p

ur right about that.. :)

Darlofletch
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
From John Molinaro's column

"Garcia could be the first of two defensive additions for Toronto FC, as Johnston said he hopes to make a deal for another defender.
"There's one more [player] we'd like to get. We'll see if it materializes," the GM said.
Part of the trade with San Jose also saw Toronto pick up the rights to Ali Gerba, a Canadian forward who became a free agent after recently being let go by English club MK Dons.
Johnston said he hopes to fly Gerba into town this weekend for negotiation purposes and sign the 27-year-old forward by early next week.
"I'm very confident I can get something done [on] Monday or Tuesday," Johnston revealed"

Lots of hope there. Not much certainty. Can't even confirm that Gerba is flying in for negotiations.

http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/entries/images/0e/b7/1232226/original_image.png?1244755149

sidvan
06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
nice bob and weave on the grass...if it doesn't happen it's the city's fault!!!

rocker
06-11-2009, 04:29 PM
nice bob and weave on the grass...if it doesn't happen it's the city's fault!!!

so it's not possible that it could be the city's fault? ;)

councillor Joe Pantalone didn't sound too keen on switching to grass.
Pantalone's office, the Exhibition Board meetings, city hall meetings -- these should be where TFC fans protest for grass.

Cuz ya know some segment of the population is gonna pull out the "I paid my tax dollars for a stadium just for MLSE?!?!" argument. Or the community frisbee players are going to say "What happened to our community use stadium, I paid my tax dollars for private corporation to profit from with a dedicated stadium? For shame!"

I'm sure TFC would love to put in grass (I doubt they want to truck their players to Oakville just to practice). But people need to give reasons to politicians why they should say yes... Pressure helps.

SweetOwnGoal
06-11-2009, 04:36 PM

Because the city controls the timetable.

ANYWAY...Today isn't new news. But, hopefully it will resonate with people.

What we need to do now (http://www.24thminute.com/2009/06/all-we-are-sayingis-give-us-some-grass.html)

SweetOwnGoal
06-11-2009, 04:37 PM
From John Molinaro's column

Lots of hope there. Not much certainty. Can't even confirm that Gerba is flying in for negotiations.

Fly Gerba in means from, I believe, Montreal, not England. He's in Canada right now.

cochrdoc
06-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I don`t think Garcia is going to solve all our defensive problems.He is not having a good year.I hope mo has another plan to shore up the defence.WE definately need another defender.I hope Gerba helps sticking the ball in the net but I think we need more then these two to change our fortunes

DaBandit
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
good acticle sweetowngoal, thx for the info.

But what I dont understand is why this hasnt been brought forward to the city already. Last year when they sold Edu for $5 million, and all the talk began that they were going to re-invest their portion of that money to get grass, why did'nt they go to the city then? if they pushed for a meeting at that time (last summer) would'nt that meeting have already happened? should'nt we be seeing some type of concrete plan in motion already that would satisfy the city's requirements and show the fans that they were serious about grass?

so much talk about this and still no actually plan in motion makes me skeptical. At this rate we wont get an DP until 2012...

cheers,

Yohan
06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I don`t think Garcia is going to solve all our defensive problems.He is not having a good year.
perhaps a change of scenery will help him get his groove back. he's had otherwise a pretty good career.

you won't find many players in MLS with Garcia's sort of resume (MLS Cup winner, US Open Cup winner, 6 caps with USMNT)

ua-kozak_TFC
06-11-2009, 05:02 PM
perhaps a change of scenery will help him get his groove back. he's had otherwise a pretty good career.

you won't find many players in MLS with Garcia's sort of resume (MLS Cup winner, US Open Cup winner, 6 caps with USMNT)
Just like it helped Carloz Ruiz...Don;t be naive...

jloome
06-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Just like it helped Carloz Ruiz...Don;t be naive...

Don't be an idiot. Ruiz didn't want to play here and was taking an easy pay day. He's back in Guatemala, leading the league there in scoring again. Just because he's done putting in effort doesn't mean he didn't still have the skills.

Garcia has never been fast, so it's not about degrading skills. More likely you have uneducated fans in San Jose -- if you check their message boards, you'd see what I'm talking about -- who can't recognize when their central midfield is leaving their backline hideously exposed. Garcia has by all accounts had several cockups, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's why.

Bobo
06-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Slowwwwwwwwwww down. When we get it, we celebrate. Until we do, we don't let up.

trane
06-11-2009, 05:32 PM
They basicly said that we will get grass "tommorow".

Sounds good, but lets see it.

ensco
06-11-2009, 05:53 PM
MLSE plays these games. We should be careful here.

Just to remind everyone, the arc of the Leafs' move from Maple Leaf Gardens to the ACC was as follows:

The Leafs blathered on about locating at Exhibition Place, they briefly looked into blowing out the west side of the Gardens to expand and finally, unveiled grandiose plans to build atop a transformed Union Station. All the while, Anselmi denounced the ACC (then being built by the Raptors previous owners, Alan Slaight and John Bitove) as categorically "unsuitable for hockey".

Until they bought the Raptors and the building. Suddenly and forevermore, it's the greatest rink in sports.

The Leafs and the City are involved in a complex negotiations here. Where will the replacement facility go? The difference between a downtown location, and a suburban one, is worth millions to MLSE. Maybe today Anselmi decided a little public pressure on the City would help...

Last year Anselmi cooled everyone off (when Mo wanted grass for the Edu money), now he's heating everyone up. Who knows what his bottom line really is?

It's a small positive sign. Small. On this issue, the fans are tiny boats in a great giant sea.

daner90
06-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Would be interesting to see Gerba in MTL against the impact next week but I wont get my hopes up

VPjr
06-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Because the city controls the timetable.

ANYWAY...Today isn't new news. But, hopefully it will resonate with people.

What we need to do now (http://www.24thminute.com/2009/06/all-we-are-sayingis-give-us-some-grass.html)

Sorry Duane....I like you my friend but you don't seem to get it anymore than Mo Johnston or Paul Bierne or Tom Anselmi or anyone involved with TFC except for maybe a small number of the players who've felt the wrath of their most loyal supporters.

The discontent is not limited to issues like getting grass (I personally dont care if we get grass so long as we they put down new turf every 2-3 years) and I most certainly am not "encouraged" by the trade for a washed up center back who was unwanted by the worst defensive team in the league. Nor am I particularly excited about Gerba, who has a persistent weight problem and lost his place in the MK Dons lineup to 40 year old Norwegian.

Nor will I wait breathlessly for some new mystery defender that Mo is trying to bring to town. Holding your breath for Mo to bring in the type of quality players this team needs (because they are SADLY LACKING in that department) will bring about certain asphyxiation.

Call me crazy, call me unrealistic, call me whatever you wish. I'm simply one of those people who feels this sport very deeply. I have standards and expectations for the team I throw my support behind. I have been growing increasingly frustrated by what I've seen from this entire organization, from front office to the on field product, over the past 18 months. I just don't see an organization at BMO Field that has the ability to match my ambition.

What I do see is a team that is owned and operated by a faceless, nameless, soulless corporate entity whose sole ambition is profiting from sports entertainment, no different than WWE. The product on the field is irrelevant and as long as the people PAYING to attend matches continue to jump and scream and wave flags because, at the end of the day, there is really no pressure to succeed. The team can't be relegated. The supporters have no mechanism by which to pressure to force the club to change their ways and there is an element within some of these fan clubs that believes that we should just keep our mouths shut and stew silently because if we "ruin" the good times with protests and constant criticism, maybe the stands will grow increasingly empty and then TFC might just go away and, just like that, we are back in Soccer Siberia here in Ontario, with people like Bob McCowan saying "see, I told you no one really likes that game".

I'm one of those people that believes that true supporters of TFC have an obligation to never stop railing against this current adminstration in charge at TFC until they prove that they are capable of regaining the trust that has been lost and/or badly damaged. Without such pressure from the supporters, continuous failure is inevitable. Remember, a supporter is support the crest and the colours, not the names on the backs of the shirts or the people running the team. People come and go. The club is what remains constant and the club must be able to reflect the will of the supporters or else it has lost the plot.

I have never been more certain of anything as I am that Mo Johnston will never lead this team anywhere but the edge of a cliff. As a player, he was brilliant (althouth always a dickhead) but as a manager, he is a fraud (and still a dickhead). Sadly, he's untouchable in the eyes of his employer, so knowing that, I back away and prefer to watch from afar.

Beach_Red
06-11-2009, 06:37 PM
MLSE plays these games. We should be careful here.

Just to remind everyone, the arc of the Leafs' move from Maple Leaf Gardens to the ACC was as follows:

The Leafs blathered on about locating at Exhibition Place, they briefly looked into blowing out the west side of the Gardens to expand and finally, unveiled grandiose plans to build atop a transformed Union Station. All the while, Anselmi denounced the ACC (then being built by the Raptors previous owners, Alan Slaight and John Bitove) as categorically "unsuitable for hockey".

And it isn't as good as Union Station would have been. At the time I seem to remember MLSE wouldn't pay the city what it wanted.

This is very much the kind of game MLSE (well, and every other company) plays - putting up as little money as possible.

A big part of what's going on now is likely the surprise success of TFC - it's become a much more valuable MLSE asset quicker than almost anyone expected.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Don't be an idiot. Ruiz didn't want to play here and was taking an easy pay day. He's back in Guatemala, leading the league there in scoring again. Just because he's done putting in effort doesn't mean he didn't still have the skills.

Garcia has never been fast, so it's not about degrading skills. More likely you have uneducated fans in San Jose -- if you check their message boards, you'd see what I'm talking about -- who can't recognize when their central midfield is leaving their backline hideously exposed. Garcia has by all accounts had several cockups, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's why.
Guate-freaking- mala??? are you kidding me? I am not familiar with the league...nor even heard of any of the teams...
according to wiki these are the teams..

Comunicaciones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comunicaciones) Guatemala City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala_City)
Heredia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Heredia) Morales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morales,_Guatemala)
Jalapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Jalapa) Jalapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalapa,_Jalapa)
Marquense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquense) San Marcos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marcos,_Guatemala)
Municipal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSD_Municipal) Guatemala City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala_City)
Petapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Petapa) San Miguel Petapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Miguel_Petapa)
Suchitepéquez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Suchitep%C3%A9quez) Mazatenango (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazatenango)
Xelajú (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Xelaj%C3%BA_MC) Quetzaltenango (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzaltenango)
Xinabajul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Xinabajul) Huehuetenango (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huehuetenango)
Zacapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Zacapa) Zacapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zacapa)

Don;t be an IDIOT.. just because someone is a top goalscorer in one league doesn;t mean that he is skillful enough to be a top goal scorer in an other league...

cochrdoc
06-11-2009, 06:49 PM
VPjr is spot on.Mo hides behind is words.This mystery defender,a DP,And a 5 yr plan.Shit I could make a team in 5 years.What quality gm couldn`t.His drafts have been good,But players he has brought in haven`t worked out.Roberts,Ricketts,Tebilly,Ruiz,Vitti.A team needs to defend,create and score goals to win.There has been no consistency yet even though the team is playing better.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Sorry Duane....I like you my friend but you don't seem to get it anymore than Mo Johnston or Paul Bierne or Tom Anselmi or anyone involved with TFC except for maybe a small number of the players who've felt the wrath of their most loyal supporters.

The discontent is not limited to issues like getting grass (I personally dont care if we get grass so long as we they put down new turf every 2-3 years) and I most certainly am not "encouraged" by the trade for a washed up center back who was unwanted by the worst defensive team in the league. Nor am I particularly excited about Gerba, who has a persistent weight problem and lost his place in the MK Dons lineup to 40 year old Norwegian.

Nor will I wait breathlessly for some new mystery defender that Mo is trying to bring to town. Holding your breath for Mo to bring in the type of quality players this team needs (because they are SADLY LACKING in that department) will bring about certain asphyxiation.

Call me crazy, call me unrealistic, call me whatever you wish. I'm simply one of those people who feels this sport very deeply. I have standards and expectations for the team I throw my support behind. I have been growing increasingly frustrated by what I've seen from this entire organization, from front office to the on field product, over the past 18 months. I just don't see an organization at BMO Field that has the ability to match my ambition.

What I do see is a team that is owned and operated by a faceless, nameless, soulless corporate entity whose sole ambition is profiting from sports entertainment, no different than WWE. The product on the field is irrelevant and as long as the people PAYING to attend matches continue to jump and scream and wave flags because, at the end of the day, there is really no pressure to succeed. The team can't be relegated. The supporters have no mechanism by which to pressure to force the club to change their ways and there is an element within some of these fan clubs that believes that we should just keep our mouths shut and stew silently because if we "ruin" the good times with protests and constant criticism, maybe the stands will grow increasingly empty and then TFC might just go away and, just like that, we are back in Soccer Siberia here in Ontario, with people like Bob McCowan saying "see, I told you no one really likes that game".

I'm one of those people that believes that true supporters of TFC have an obligation to never stop railing against this current adminstration in charge at TFC until they prove that they are capable of regaining the trust that has been lost and/or badly damaged. Without such pressure from the supporters, continuous failure is inevitable. Remember, a supporter is support the crest and the colours, not the names on the backs of the shirts or the people running the team. People come and go. The club is what remains constant and the club must be able to reflect the will of the supporters or else it has lost the plot.

I have never been more certain of anything as I am that Mo Johnston will never lead this team anywhere but the edge of a cliff. As a player, he was brilliant (althouth always a dickhead) but as a manager, he is a fraud (and still a dickhead). Sadly, he's untouchable in the eyes of his employer, so knowing that, I back away and prefer to watch from afar.
this POST is 5 stars, A+. Just brilliant describes my feelings exactly. This should be chizzeled in stone or something.

Congrats brother you really know what is to be passionate about a football team.

K1nG
06-11-2009, 08:16 PM
VPjr,

Are you by any chance a speech writer? That last post made me want to join a revolution!

rocker
06-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I disagree with you VPjr, but you have a right to speak your mind... .

But when you say "I'm simply one of those people who feels this sport very deeply. I have standards and expectations for the team I throw my support behind" I have to say "me too".

Beach_Red
06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Call me crazy, call me unrealistic, call me whatever you wish. I'm simply one of those people who feels this sport very deeply. I have standards and expectations for the team I throw my support behind.

I have never been more certain of anything as I am that Mo Johnston will never lead this team anywhere but the edge of a cliff.

I wouldn't call you crazy, but it might be a bit unrealistic to expect much more from MLS - at least at this point in the league's history.

Are the problems you see unique to TFC?

One thing I'm certain of, TFC will have more managers in their time but the team will always be inconsistent, up and down in the standings, make the playoffs one year and not the next - it's the way the league is designed.

Maybe the league just isn't for you right now. Maybe in ten or fifteen years it'll be better.

Or maybe it'll be gone like every other soccer league in North America.

craigtfc
06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I think the reason they said they're "getting grass" is too take our minds off of how they are screwing us over everyother way from sunday. Its all a distraction!!

Ossington Mental Youth
06-11-2009, 08:41 PM
councillor Joe Pantalone didn't sound too keen on switching to grass.
Pantalone's office, the Exhibition Board meetings, city hall meetings -- these should be where TFC fans protest for grass.

definitely a very good point, if people are serious about the grass it would help to let city hall/Pantalone first hand

Ossington Mental Youth
06-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Jloome- I think its Paraguay that Ruiz plays in

Ua-Kozak- Just because you havent heard of the teams doesnt mean they dont have talent. Ruiz was well worth the gamble he was the league MVP previously and we signed him for nothing. He has talent but has an ego and attitude to go with it. It didnt work out big deal, hes not on our paycheck anymore

Stryker
06-11-2009, 08:51 PM
If Mo is trying to get another defender then theres no doubt in my mind that he wants to shop Wynne.
In fact he's probley spitballed Wynne trades with a couple of teams this season. Its the right move and I only wish he had done it sooner when he was greatly overvalued.

VPjr
06-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I disagree with you VPjr, but you have a right to speak your mind... .

But when you say "I'm simply one of those people who feels this sport very deeply. I have standards and expectations for the team I throw my support behind" I have to say "me too".

i appreciate your input. I don't expect all that many people to agree with me. We all come to this sport from different perspectives and with different backgrounds so our views will inevitably differ. I'm sure that there are things on which we agree.

I'm glad to know you have standards and expectations for the club. Hopefully those standards and expectations for TFC are high. You owe yourself that much.

Enjoy your team. I wish I could join you but I just cant do it, not anymore.

ensco
06-11-2009, 09:34 PM
VPjr, you have a great pen. But if I may....

Not to take this somewhere it doesn't belong, but, occasionally, believing in something,says more about you than the thing you believe in.

I share your disappointment. I have come to believe Mo must go. I have come to learn that most people here disagree with me.

But my interest in and passion for my club, that I share in part with others here, cannot be taken from me by Tom Anselmi or Mo Johnston or anyone else.

maximo_rpd
06-11-2009, 09:38 PM
[quote=VPjr;569521]Sorry Duane....I like you my friend but you don't seem to get it anymore than Mo Johnston or Paul Bierne or Tom Anselmi or anyone involved with TFC except for maybe a small number of the players who've felt the wrath of their most loyal supporters.

The discontent is not limited to issues like getting grass ....

What I do see is a team that is owned and operated by a faceless, nameless, soulless corporate entity whose sole ambition is profiting from sports entertainment, no different than WWE.

What a great post! The bottom line is if MLSE was serious about solving the grass issue all they have to do is wave some cash around city hall (cash, payola - whatever) They should just ask Tie Domi (or maybe Brian Mulrooooney) how to go about things. Waiting until the fall to talk to the city is just stalling ... don't believe a word!

SweetOwnGoal
06-11-2009, 09:48 PM
i appreciate your input. I don't expect all that many people to agree with me. We all come to this sport from different perspectives and with different backgrounds so our views will inevitably differ. I'm sure that there are things on which we agree.

I'm glad to know you have standards and expectations for the club. Hopefully those standards and expectations for TFC are high. You owe yourself that much.

Enjoy your team. I wish I could join you but I just cant do it, not anymore.

Dino,

You know I like and respect you. I just see many of the problems here having as much to do with the league structure as they do with MLSE. And, although you are correct that MLSE is in it to make money, I do truly believe that we aren't having this discussion without them -- there would be no team (and possibly no team in Vancouver as TFC's success opened the league's eyes to Canada as a market).

You know I've been calling for Mo's head since 2007. My feelings on him haven't changed. I share some of your, um, suspicions (but I can't prove them).

You say the loyalty is to the strip. I agree. That's why I can't walk away from the team even though I have issues with some of the management. I also have a deep-felt loyalty to U-Sector (as I'm sure many here feel towards RPB) and I'm not prepared to walk away from them either (ultimately that loyalty is the most important of all).

Club. Stand. Country. It's a simple philosophy to life, but it's mine.

As for the current form of the team, again I come back to the league as a whole. The truth is no one is standing out in MLS. Every team has its issues. To me, the last two games were as much about missing Amado as anything. If TFC gets six points against New York in the next two weeks they will likely be sitting back in second, if not in first. I just don't see the sky falling to the same extent as others.

Regardless, I do hope you can find a way to find your way back to the stadium this year. It would be a shame to deny yourself something that we've collectively waited so long for.

But if not I'll hopefully see you in Columbus for the Gold Cup.

VPjr
06-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Ensco, I'm happy that you can still feel that passion...to each their own. I can't.

But, in my opinion, its never really going to be "your" club. You might choose to cheer for TFC but its not your club. Rather, its your team and that is an important distinction. It's always going to be "their" club. There is so much evidence to prove my point.

Again, enjoy TFC...I just can't anymore. I'll find something else to believe in.

TFC07
06-11-2009, 09:56 PM
So, I'm still waiting for Mo and his bromance partner Anselmi to really address "all the issues".

If these fools think that signing a striker with a persistent weight problem who lost his place at MK Dons to a 40 year old Norwegian, a washed up defender who could not stick with the worst team in the league and the promise that "maybe the city of Toronto will let us lay grass at BMO in a year or two" will appease the knowledgeable supporters (the ones who can filter through his bullshit), they are sadly mistaken.

In politics, when you have lost the confidence of your consituency, the right thing to do is step down. Mo has no dignity so he will cling to this job with all he's got.

Just like Lisa Raitt and most of Conservative ministers (including PM Harper) :D

giambac
06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
this POST is 5 stars, A+. Just brilliant describes my feelings exactly. This should be chizzeled in stone or something.

Congrats brother you really know what is to be passionate about a football team.

Agreed .

Great post.

giambac
06-11-2009, 09:59 PM

Not to take this somewhere it doesn't belong, but, occasionally, believing in something,says more about you than the thing you believe in.

I share your disappointment. I have come to believe Mo must go. I have come to learn that most people here disagree with me.

But my interest in and passion for my club, that I share in part with others here, cannot be taken from me by Tom Anselmi or Mo Johnston or anyone else.

I said this 2 years ago an dwe are still waiting.

TFC07
06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I think it's given that most people here want MLSE to get rid of Mo Johnson. But the question is: who is going to replace him? Don't get me wrong, I want MLSE get rid of Mo ASAP, but the problem is that there isn't too many GM's out there that want to manage an MLS club and deal with MLS werid rules at all.

VPjr
06-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I just see many of the problems here having as much to do with the league structure as they do with MLSE. And, although you are correct that MLSE is in it to make money, I do truly believe that we aren't having this discussion without them -- there would be no team (and possibly no team in Vancouver as TFC's success opened the league's eyes to Canada as a market).

You're right Duane. The league structure is a huge problem. In this league, ambition can never be fully rewarded. The kind of support TFC receives week in week out will never result in a club that can give back to its fans what they put in. MLS is a race to the middle, a battle of the mediocre, and that realization, as much as my contempt for Mo Johnston and the money grubbing nature of the TFC corporation, is what makes this all too much to stomach.

You'll see me at the River Plate game....I'll be there to see River.

Hopefully Columbus is in the cards...we'll see.

Beach_Red
06-11-2009, 10:27 PM

I like this post. I, too, will continue to support TFC no matter who runs it and no matter the restrictions the league it plays in puts on the team.

I may alone in thinking that the manager of an MLS team actually has very little effect on the success of the team, so I don't care one way or the other of it's Mo or Frank Yallop or whoever else they manage to convince to come here. This is a low-talent league on the field and in the front offices and it's not going to change too much too soon, but we can still support it.

TFC will have more managers, the team might even get different owners, but as long as it's in this league there will be these kinds of problems. Until the league itself moves up a few notches, this is what we have in North America.

Beach_Red
06-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Just like Lisa Raitt and most of Conservative ministers (including PM Harper) :D

And most of the Liberals and the NDP - if politicians resigned over that kind of thing we wouldn't have any left.

:D:D:D

ua-kozak_TFC
06-11-2009, 10:46 PM
As for the current form of the team, again I come back to the league as a whole. The truth is no one is standing out in MLS. Every team has its issues. To me, the last two games were as much about missing Amado as anything. If TFC gets six points against New York in the next two weeks they will likely be sitting back in second, if not in first. I just don't see the sky falling to the same extent as others.

the fact that MLS is a roller coaster can;t be denied. but some teams consistently end up getting into play offs... abite their bad runs, (DCunited, Red bulls, kansas city...
If TFC made the playoffs last year we wouldn;t be having this conversation even if they went home on the first round...

I believe the core of the problem is MO... and traces back to MLSE... now let me explain:
MLSE is a buisness and you can't blame them for wanting to make a buk... i believe that player signings aren;t a problem neither for them since these MLS wages are penuts for them.
Now the problem lies with MO being an incompetent general manager... as a drafter many say that he;s a genious( which i differ since anybody can be a genious having as many top picks) NOW his ability to bringing the players necessary toplay well are horrendous and this can;t be denied since we had 3 different coaches in the last 3 years and we still suck...

What i blame MLSE for is for being so tight nit with MO and not letting this guy go... which from their part doesn;t show that they really care about the product on the field... i don;t even Why we have this director of soccer psition anyways... Nowhere in the MLS THIS takes place i would rather get a DP FORTHAT MONEY THAN HAVE mo jacking off in the office for this ammount...

People who don;t feel the urgency... (rocker and Beach red.... i swear i think you guys are one and the same person ... someone from the the FO that Paul B pays to post here adn there on this board...) or hockey fans or alcoholics who only care about getting drunk on saturdays and having a good time... and the result doesn;t really mater... i really don;t understand people who don;t see this as an urgency...

freakking argentina are 4th... they are 2 behind from the 5th teaam and 4 behind from the 6th on the WCQ standings... (4 go thru dirrectly the 5th plays oceania for sot at WC) and everyone wants to burn maradona alive over there... even when there is only 4 games left and they play uruguay who;s 6th... Although tough but i am confident that they will make it through... And yet the feeling in argentina is that they want to Burn maradona alive... a guy who freaking gave them a world cup... and is practically considered a saint in that country...

I really don;t get this complacency with bad results and such faith and trust in Mo.. or that somehow how the team performs on the field is not his problem...damn if he brought here 2 or 3 defenders and a stricker before the season started and they ended up being garbage... then i would give him the benefit of the doubt but knowing that defence has been a problem since day one for TFC and not adressing it is beyond being incompetent ...

I believe that your expectations are very important and if fans of Barca, man U, Milan, Boca juniors, etc were complacent with the results they got we would never know these names... that is why we have to have high expectations for TFC.... Aim for the sun and you'll land on the moon...

Kickit09
06-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I dont even think his drafting is that good. anyone with the tops picks every year can pick good players. Also, Mo passed up on Omar Gonzalez and Chris Pontius.

Roogsy
06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
I dont even think his drafting is that good. anyone with the tops picks every year can pick good players. Also, Mo passed up on Omar Gonzalez and Chris Pontius.

I keep reading this. How many "top picks" has Mo had? I have a problem with Mo in other areas, but I think it's ludicrous to point to his drafting as a problem. Name me a GM in this league that has drafted better. Let's concentrate on the real problems with him...which is pretty much everything else.

rocker
06-11-2009, 11:35 PM

He passed on those guys cuz he took Cronin and O'Brien. I'd take Cronin above those two. O'Brien we still have to see in action. Conceivably O'Brien could score 3 goals in 13 games, as Pontius has.
Stefan Frei was the steal of the draft tho.

Kickit09
06-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I keep reading this. How many "top picks" has Mo had? I have a problem with Mo in other areas, but I think it's ludicrous to point to his drafting as a problem. Name me a GM in this league that has drafted better. Let's concentrate on the real problems with him...which is pretty much everything else.

Mo has had a #1, #2, 2 #4s, and a #5 pick in the last 3 drafts. Plus a couple other first round picks but you just asked for the top picks. and I did not say his drafting is a problem, just that it is not as good as some people make it out to be.

jabbronies
06-11-2009, 11:48 PM

I don't get why people have this sort of mentality towards the TFC FO. And VPjr please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not pointing at you specifically, but it seems that the people who have the biggest hate on with what is happening with TFC seem to be people who have been around with Canadian Soccer for some years, but who have now been "left out" of the TFC system.

Yes they are a huge corporation, but name a successful team in the world that isn't run by one.

As for the Mo bashing - I think this guy knows how to build a team from the bottom up. Look at our future! Ibbe, Frei, Cronin, Wynne, Nana, White - these arn't shitty players. Look at our veterans - Brennan, Dichio, Robbo, Dero, Amado, Serioux. Not bad if you ask me. The coaches are raving about the prozone and we're one of the only teams in the league to have it no? We have one of the best trainers in the world.

Rome and the US National Soccer Team wern't built in a day. or in 2.5 years.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-12-2009, 12:04 AM

yeah for me the issue is Mo's lack of urgency in the preseason to have us prepared (ie allthe positions covered by quality players). This is eh second year in a row this has happened. I let it slide last year as we were a second year team, this year i even let it slide because he brought in Serioux and DeRo, to very good players but clearly that isnt enough and he knows this, the supporters know this (and its finally dawned on me). Now hes made a trade that reeks of urgency and has yet to pan out. I dont know whether it will work out or not and i will have to wait and see before i give my opinion but the fact of the matter is that we dont have the striker adn the cb we need. Sure Garcia comes from a good background but hasnt had a great go of it lately and Gerba isnt even officially signed with the MLS, granted both came for more or less nothing.

(it could be argued that Mo thought Vitti was going to be the striker we need as that is his position and although he has yet to score he has shown some talent on the field, whether hes a 'success' is arguable from both ends and he has yet to truly earn his 300k imo)

VPjr
06-12-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't get why people have this sort of mentality towards the TFC FO. And VPjr please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not pointing at you specifically, but it seems that the people who have the biggest hate on with what is happening with TFC seem to be people who have been around with Canadian Soccer for some years, but who have now been "left out" of the TFC system.

Yes they are a huge corporation, but name a successful team in the world that isn't run by one.

As for the Mo bashing - I think this guy knows how to build a team from the bottom up. Look at our future! Ibbe, Frei, Cronin, Wynne, Nana, White - these arn't shitty players. Look at our veterans - Brennan, Dichio, Robbo, Dero, Amado, Serioux. Not bad if you ask me. The coaches are raving about the prozone and we're one of the only teams in the league to have it no? We have one of the best trainers in the world.

I guess that is the difference between you and me my friend.

What you look at and say "not bad", I look at and say "not nearly good enough". I don't believe that, with Mo at the helm, it ever will be good enough. I don't want to get into a debate on which players are worth keeping around and which aren't. That is a pointless debate. I don't hold many of these players in as high esteem as you apparently do but that's fine. We don't have to agree.

By the way, if you think I'm hard on TFC, you can rest assured that I'm just as hard on the canadian soccer establishment in general. I am a harsh critic. I'm not easily impressed.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "feeling left out of the TFC System". I'm a season ticket holder (until the end of this year....after that, no more). I'm just as "in" as you are. I'm just not willing to buy into it anymore. I don't believe they've earned my continued support.

jloome
06-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Guate-freaking- mala??? are you kidding me? I am not familiar with the league...nor even heard of any of the teams...
according to wiki these are the teams..

Comunicaciones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comunicaciones) Guatemala City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala_City)
Heredia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Heredia) Morales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morales,_Guatemala)
Jalapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Jalapa) Jalapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalapa,_Jalapa)
Marquense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquense) San Marcos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marcos,_Guatemala)
Municipal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSD_Municipal) Guatemala City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala_City)
Petapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Petapa) San Miguel Petapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Miguel_Petapa)
Suchitepéquez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Suchitep%C3%A9quez) Mazatenango (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazatenango)
Xelajú (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Xelaj%C3%BA_MC) Quetzaltenango (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzaltenango)
Xinabajul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Xinabajul) Huehuetenango (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huehuetenango)
Zacapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Zacapa) Zacapa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zacapa)
Don;t be an IDIOT.. just because someone is a top goalscorer in one league doesn;t mean that he is skillful enough to be a top goal scorer in an other league...

First of all, he's already been the top scorer in MLS, so wrong on that score. Secondly, at least four of those teams could clean our clocks. Just because you know nothing about CONCACAF is no reason to assume it's because it's unimportant.

thrillgill
06-12-2009, 12:47 AM
sack the CSA!

The Kingpin
06-12-2009, 03:47 AM
So, ummmmm.... Has he said anything of importance yet?

Inswingingwingman
06-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Mo should contact the dude who runs Caribana. They have grass. It could be added to a scarf with One Love on it in a wee baggie, some papers, and some matches. There would be so much love and great TIFO, though the chanting would suffer as the glassy eyed supporters left their seats in search of chips and chocolate bars, grins on their faces, love in the air...ahhhhhhhhhh, thanks Mobro.

denime
06-12-2009, 06:04 AM

Name one successful team that is run by ML$E ??? 4 teams-0 titles

"Not bad if you ask me."It all depend how high are your standards and expectations.

"US National Soccer Team" is world soccer power house that we all dream our TFC will be one day :rolleyes:

Waggy
06-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Jabbronies: Ibbe is so good that he doesn't even play (on a team that can't BUY a goal). Frei I think everyone can agree will only be with TFC for 2 years, 3 TOPS. Cronins good. Wynne probably won't be around much. Nana is good, but hardly a building block of a club, and White hasn't played 1 minute. So in the words of the Wolf, lets not start sucking each others dicks just yet. After 3 years we should be seeing some results if he was building a club the right way right? We should at least be showing signs of promise/improvement? We have a good midfield and a great goalie, outside of that though....

ua-kozak_TFC
06-12-2009, 06:38 AM
I think you are miss reading what he said.... because there is a big difference in these 2 statements... Mo's draft picks are shit vs. Anybody with topics could have done it...

ua-kozak_TFC
06-12-2009, 06:46 AM
First of all, he's already been the top scorer in MLS, so wrong on that score. Secondly, at least four of those teams could clean our clocks. Just because you know nothing about CONCACAF is no reason to assume it's because it's unimportant.

I knew that... but when was that?? half a decade ago? if not more.... that time has passed my friend.

Just because Sheva was European footballer of the year and top scorer once up on a time and ends up going to kazakhstan or MLS and lets imagine he;s a tops scorer doesn;t meand that he can replicate that the following year in Serie A...

i never said they are unimportant... but i don;t think the talent pool is to deep in guatemala league... that is not important though since he was not playing there anyways...

MisterMacphisto
06-12-2009, 08:12 AM

It just has to be quoted again.

This post has restored some of my faith and hope in humanity.

You sir... deserve a standing ovation.

:hurray:

Beach_Red
06-12-2009, 08:49 AM
People who don;t feel the urgency... (rocker and Beach red.... i swear i think you guys are one and the same person ... someone from the the FO that Paul B pays to post here adn there on this board...) or hockey fans or alcoholics who only care about getting drunk on saturdays and having a good time... and the result doesn;t really mater... i really don;t understand people who don;t see this as an urgency...

Ha, no Rocker is the smarter, better educated one.

Look, I see how bad this team is - and it's middle of the table for the league - I just think it's the league that's bad.

I know how you feel. It's funny you mention being a hockey fan because I gave up on hockey a long time ago. I can't watch the current NHL because I grew up in Montreal in the 1970's, I saw real hockey, I saw the Canadiens play the Soviet Red Army team - after that how could take a league seriously that makes Tie Domi a millionaire? If I lived in Ireland, though, I think I could have a good time at Belfast Giants games because I wouldn't expect it to be the best hockey in the world.

I see no point in "urgency" because I don't think the changes will make any difference. Sure, fire Mo and bring in someone else at this level - it'll be like replacing Jeff Cunningham with Chad Barrett.

This is a low-skill league - on and off the field. Look at the last game against LA, none of those goals were the result of skilled play. Dichio's was a bad offside call and a ball that bounced off two or three people and should have been stopped. Both LA goals were terrible defensive mistakes, not great skill on the part of anyone on LA. You know yourself you could have scored those LA goals, half the guys on this board could have.

Well, it's the same with picking from the players who are willing to come to this league right now. If the manager position was open to a vote I'd probably vote for Jack, he does a good job with the RPB and he'd do just as good a job as Mo or Frank Yallop or any other manager in this league. He would get lucky just as often and at this level that's 95% of what it takes. People here are always telling me what a great manager Steve Nichol is but he hasn't won a championship yet and this year's not looking good.

TFC just traded for a guy who's been in the league 10 years, won the Championship, won all kinds of other things, was the captain of a team everyone said was better than TFC last year and no one here had any idea who the guy was. That's the kind of league this is.

MLSE are terrible owners. This is essentially the same board that didn't let Cliff Fletcher sign Wayne Gretzky when he'd come to terms with him - if Gretzky wasn't good enough for their hockey team, what DP is ever going to be good enough for their soccer team? It would have been so much better if a better owner had stepped forward - though I do think people put the crown on Drew Carrey's head too quickly.

Giambac is right, on many nights Toronto Italia or Toronto Croatia could beat TFC - but not just TFC, they could beat any team in this league once in a while.

MLS is fun, but see it for what it is. You sound like one of those guys who won't date the women he knows because he's holding out for a supermodel.

TorontoBlades
06-12-2009, 08:54 AM
It just has to be quoted again.

This post has restored some of my faith and hope in humanity.

You sir... deserve a standing ovation.

:hurray:

Why that was just another bitch post with fancy writing.

Yohan
06-12-2009, 08:57 AM
TFC just traded for a guy who's been in the league 10 years, won the Championship, won all kinds of other things, was the captain of a team everyone said was better than TFC last year and no one here had any idea who the guy was. That's the kind of league this is.
most didn't know who he was, because they don't know much about the league yet. (and who's fault is that)
any cursory following of other teams in MLS and you would have heard Nick Garcia's name a few times.

Fort York Redcoat
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
. (rocker and Beach red.... i swear i think you guys are one and the same person ..

Nope. I've seen them disagree. Once. It wasn't about whether to disagree with me. That they always agree on.;):D

Fort York Redcoat
06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Tomorrow has come and gone twice, no? I thought we're wating for Gerba news for Monday or Tuesday now.

rocker
06-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Nope. I've seen them disagree. Once. It wasn't about whether to disagree with me. That they always agree on.;):D

great minds think alike!

I've also found my opinions being expressed completely by Ben Knight and Duane Rollins lately!
It's great to feel represented in the blogosphere. :)

jabbronies
06-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Name one successful team that is run by ML$E ??? 4 teams-0 titles

"Not bad if you ask me."It all depend how high are your standards and expectations.

"US National Soccer Team" is world soccer power house that we all dream our TFC will be one day :rolleyes:

- You got me on the first one.

- Not very high on the second one. I mean, look at the facts. This is a third year team in the MLS. The MLS is not a great league. Good players from overseas don't come here to play. Out of favour players who want USA fame do.

Also, the local talent pool isn't that great to choose from either at the moment. Yes, there are skilled players in this country, but how many of them have the developed football brain to play at an elite-ish level like MLS? Would you all be happy if we went out and signed a 24 year old out of Oakville with no MLS or Pro experience? The local talent needs proper coaching in a proper soccer system. That's not going to happen in 3 years.

I don't mind when people get on the MLSE and Mo's case to get shit done. That's fine. as supporters that's what we're suppose to do. And until we get grass or a proper franchise player, we should continue to be on thier ass.

But to give up on the Team, not want to show up next year, saying Mo don't know shit all, saying MLSE doesn't know how to run a team etc etc. what's the purpose? where are the facts that these guys are doing shit all to get things done?

The Kingpin
06-13-2009, 01:11 AM
From a TFC staffer: "We have told the league we want to earmark the Edu funds for a practice facility. For a good portion of the last year our intention was to build the new ground, move the community use obligations there and then put in grass. So the edu $ was tied to grass. It has since been rejected (never got to city council) because it was made clear to us that our proposal was going to be turned down. We've had to go back to the drawing board and separate the grass project from the practice facility.

Long answer to describe why the edu $ is not going towards grass.

We haven't asked the league on the assumption that improvements to facilities that don't belong to the team won't qualify."

_________

"I was just trying to explain why Tom's quote was "we're prepared to write a cheque."

bhoybobby
06-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Moe's a self serving douce bag & Assman's an arrogant ignorant man who knows nothing about soccer culture

Pookie
06-13-2009, 06:35 AM
I'm one of those people that believes that true supporters of TFC have an obligation to never stop railing against this current adminstration in charge at TFC until they prove that they are capable of regaining the trust that has been lost and/or badly damaged.

Can anyone in support of this view define exactly what the FO has to prove? I'm not talking about general issues or sentiments such as "stop screwing us."

What specifically do they need to do to restore your trust? Otherwise, how would you know when to stop your protest?

Beach_Red
06-13-2009, 08:59 AM
^ Sign a DP.

That's the one thng they could do right now. They don't need to ask the league or rely on another team to agree to trade terms, etc..

ua-kozak_TFC
06-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Can anyone in support of this view define exactly what the FO has to prove? I'm not talking about general issues or sentiments such as "stop screwing us."

What specifically do they need to do to restore your trust? Otherwise, how would you know when to stop your protest?
I am of that view and I believe the trust can be easily restored... if MO has been let go.. And they higher somebody more competent.... which with Mo's track record..anyone from this board would do....

By sticking with him they are choosing their loyalty to MO over loyalty to fans(i believe they see him as an untachable... he doesn;t ask questions and does what they want...) He doesn;t act on morals or loyalty towards the fan like Carver did... I am not saying that Carver was a brilliant manager BUt... one thing can;t be denied that guy had a heart... which i believe was the reason behind the problems that arised in the club...

Unless we totally fail this season(ie are last in the standings and lose the nutralite championship) he will find some excuse( last year was injuries, the 07 year was the inagural year, this year it might be "we are playing too many games" or something like that...) Mo will be here for a long time... which is unfortunate...

YEa i really don;t understand why Mo has been given this manager of soccer title...it's an excuse to keep him in the club while taking off the pressure to perform... i think we don;t even need to hire anyone dasevic and cummins and do this together.... Just fire MO...he won;t make any isgnings this season anyways.... we don;t have 1st round draft picks... and if the past is any indication of the future our squad will not change during the preseason( its MO's vacation time in brasil...remember guys?... how many times has he been there like 4 or 5 and i don;tremember even hearing a rumour about a brazilian player..)

ua-kozak_TFC
06-13-2009, 09:08 AM
^ Sign a DP.

That's the one thng they could do right now. They don't need to ask the league or rely on another team to agree to trade terms, etc..
won;t happen. why?
they get nothing or close to nothing from this financially.... there are no seats to fill out so they only would get profit from the sale of jerseys and merchandize (minus his salary)... which they don;t get much since addidas and mls takes the bulk of it...

I will bet you anything that the year we expand... (3 years from now) they will sign a big DP... to secure seats. before then economically doesn;t make sense or in their words " we are looking for the right guy"

Beach_Red
06-13-2009, 09:11 AM
^ I don't think it will happen, either, I was just answering his question.

I think you're right on when it will happen. MLSE are very consistent. Lately I've been usingthe example of the board not allowing Cliff Fletcher to sign Wayne Gretzky when they'd agreed to terms. If they wouldn't sign Gretzky, there's no way they'll sign a soccer player.

Beach_Red
06-13-2009, 09:16 AM
I am of that view and I believe the trust can be easily restored... if MO has been let go.. And they higher somebody more competent.... which with Mo's track record..anyone from this board would do....

But in reality, no, anyone form this board wouldn't be better. I know you're only joking, but the history of MLSE tells us that they will replace Mo with another Mo. This is the organization that brought in John Ferguson Jr., the ASSISTANT GM of St. Louis (not exactly a hockey powerhouse lately) to run their hockey team. Okay, they seem to have corrected that, but it took too long.

Unless they poach the manager of Houston or bring in Siggi from Seattle, it'll be just another guy willing to come and work in MLS for MLSE at these low wages.

It'll be like getting Barrett to replace Cunningham....

Kaz
06-13-2009, 09:32 AM
We haven't asked the league on the assumption that improvements to facilities that don't belong to the team won't qualify."

Umm no, they are saying the City wants to continue to use BMO as a public use facility in the winter and will turn down any option for a new winter facility that isn't as close to the Downtown core and as easy to get to as BMO. Short of Revo'ing Lamport and allowing a north side Exit for the Ex Go stop, nothing will satisfy the City, and they would reject MLSE plan to allow grass at the field.

In other words, we want grass but the city who owns the stadium won't let us.

olegunnar
06-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Mo's got to go. PB needs to shut up and stay in the office and away from here or follow Mo out the door.

We (supporters) need and deserve an advocate in the FO. Someone who like us isn't as concerned with year end budgets, as they are concerned about the table at year end.

It's unfair to put that 100% on the director of business operations, even if he's deserves our wrath for using and manipulating us to pad his performance review. Unfair because it's a conflict of interest. It can't be him...so he's got to go away. Staying will only lead to situations where by doing his job he alienates the supporters. See Real madrid situation.

The Manager, and Director of Soccer on the other hand should have the exact same goals as us. Win at all costs by any means necessary. He should seek to find the best coaches, the best scouts. No stone should be left unturned. No call about players and trades should be unanswered. Now way should he let the business side schedule the Real madrid game without a huge fight. In cases where the success of the team on the field might conflict with the expected margins and profits and lack of risk taking the business side prefers...he should stick up for the on field goals. That's his job.

In my opinion the reason for the lack of trust and the bad feelings right now is that these 2 very different and important positions are pandering to the wrong audience. They've switched.

The business people should never try to pander to the supporters...and the football people should never ever pander to the suits.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-13-2009, 09:45 AM
But in reality, no, anyone form this board wouldn't be better. I know you're only joking, but the history of MLSE tells us that they will replace Mo with another Mo. This is the organization that brought in John Ferguson Jr., the ASSISTANT GM of St. Louis (not exactly a hockey powerhouse lately) to run their hockey team. Okay, they seem to have corrected that, but it took too long.

Unless they poach the manager of Houston or bring in Siggi from Seattle, it'll be just another guy willing to come and work in MLS for MLSE at these low wages.

It'll be like getting Barrett to replace Cunningham....
wow i think this the first time we are on the same wavelength... lol

Beach_Red
06-13-2009, 10:08 AM
wow i think this the first time we are on the same wavelength... lol

Too bad it's when we're being so negative... or I guess realistic.

The only good thing I can see is that on the hockey side they did smarten up and brought in a GM who has recently won a Cup. They might do the same with TFC after this year (they'll never do it in the middle of a season if they have to keep paying the guy they fire).

Pookie
06-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know what the typical salary of a guy in Mo's position would be?

What would it cost to get "the best"?

Of course, "the best" is probably better defined as the guy who wasn't quite good enough for the top leagues and would be willing to work in North America.

I guess there are 2 options. Back up the money truck in a qualified manager's backyard and convince them that their time in the MLS will help them down the road.

Or go in a PR direction and go with someone who is a fan favourite and short on management experience. Does Dichio have any post career management aspirations?

Beach_Red
06-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Would time in MLS really help a manager down the road, though? This league's weird roster rules would get someone experience that no one else needs or cares about. "Oh, you managed the allocation money, domestic requirements and salary cap really well and you can draft from the NCAA, that'll really help in --???"

The fan favourite would keep the personal comments on here down to a minumum so that could be worth it. It's hard to imagine people saying things about Dichio that they say about Mo, so he'd probably get a few years to learn the job. Other GMs in the league would fleece him a few times, but he'd learn. They could always go after Steve Nichols, people here love him even though his team is 0-4 in Championship Games - still, we'd cut him a lot more slack than we do Mo.

Or, you pay big bucks for someone proven in MLS, because again, success in a league with different rules would be almost irrelevant here.

The thing about a salary cap league is that even when it comes to managers money doesn't solve your problems because their hands are so tied. That's one of the good things about this structure, it isn't just about the rich getting richer, but it also doesn't reward the biggest spending supporters.

TFC could always spend a lot more money on scouting, but I doubt very much the problem is finding talented players, more likely the problem is convincing them to come to Canada for the kind of money offered.

As bad as we think the management of this club is, don't expect any huge improvement in that department any time soon.

Better they should get grass and a DP.

NF-FC
06-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Has Mo addressed the issues yet? i lost interest

Darlofletch
06-13-2009, 04:19 PM
^ I don't think it will happen, either, I was just answering his question.

I think you're right on when it will happen. MLSE are very consistent. Lately I've been usingthe example of the board not allowing Cliff Fletcher to sign Wayne Gretzky when they'd agreed to terms. If they wouldn't sign Gretzky, there's no way they'll sign a soccer player.

With regards to this specific example, who was the board at the time? Was MLSE around back then, or even the same people under a different name? I'm genuinely asking that, i wasn't living here at the time and I'm too lazy to google it.

Also, was this when Gretzky ended up in New York? Because I don't remember that being a particularly successful time, for either him or the rangers. So that was probably a good decision in hindsight.

Beach_Red
06-13-2009, 04:54 PM
With regards to this specific example, who was the board at the time? Was MLSE around back then, or even the same people under a different name? I'm genuinely asking that, i wasn't living here at the time and I'm too lazy to google it.

Also, was this when Gretzky ended up in New York? Because I don't remember that being a particularly successful time, for either him or the rangers. So that was probably a good decision in hindsight.

You know, I'm not sure how much of the current board was around then, but certainly many of the biard members would be the same. MLSE taking over from whatever the company was called before that wasn't that big a change.

And yes, it was when Gretzky left LA for St. Louis and before he went to New York. It's hard to say what his effect on Toronto would have been (better than the return of Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour 2.0, though, I'm pretty sure of that), but the point is the GM wanted him and worked out a contract and then the board said no.

I can't imagine any circumstance other than a huge cancellation of season tickets for this ownership to sign a DP.

Kickit09
06-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Don't forget about Lecavalier, they said no to him too, and this was definately during MLSE reign of terror.

Kickit09
06-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Has Mo addressed the issues yet? i lost interest

No, but he thinks he has. To quote him, "the squad is good enough".

Pookie
06-13-2009, 05:30 PM
You know, I'm not sure how much of the current board was around then, but certainly many of the biard members would be the same. MLSE taking over from whatever the company was called before that wasn't that big a change.

And yes, it was when Gretzky left LA for St. Louis and before he went to New York. It's hard to say what his effect on Toronto would have been (better than the return of Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour 2.0, though, I'm pretty sure of that), but the point is the GM wanted him and worked out a contract and then the board said no.

I can't imagine any circumstance other than a huge cancellation of season tickets for this ownership to sign a DP.

The short story on the nixed Gretzky trade is as follows:

"In the summer of 1996, GM Cliff Fletcher put together a deal to bring Wayne Gretzky to Toronto for less than market value. That would have given Toronto Mats Sundin, Doug Gilmour and The Great One as their top three centres. But owner Steve Stavro — weighted down by debt while planning for a new arena, and already playing to capacity crowds — nixed the deal."

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2008/02/22/41-years-41-reasons.aspx

Stavro was essentially the single owner at the time, well the owner with the most shares. He stepped down in 2003 and sold his shares to the Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund when (or around the time) his grocery stores were in financial trouble. The Teacher's have only had majority controlling interest since 2003.

Ironically, Stavro was a huge soccer fanatic and is a member of the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame... so we might have got that DP after all.

trane
06-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Stavro acctualy ran a club, the Toronto City FC, from what I understand they were acctialy the Hibernian (SPL for those who do not know) Squad playing during the summer.

ensco
06-14-2009, 09:41 AM

The MLSE board has almost 100% turned over since then. But in reality, the board mattered not at all back then, and matters little now.

In the mid 1990s the Board was totally irrelevant - Stavro had the control block and ran the team 100%.

Once Teachers took over, they began to turn the board over. I think the board matters a bit now, Teachers has to care about governance, but Teachers have 58% of the votes and, in reality, Richard Peddie, plus two Teachers partners, "run" MLSE.

(I won't name the Teachers partners because I don't feel like being the person responsible for these guys needing to hire personal security someday).