PDA

View Full Version : Gerba's production rate...

jloome
06-10-2009, 07:03 PM
...since his best season (hitting his stride as it were) with Toronto Lynx in 2004 is 46 goals in 116 professional games.

So even with two bad droughts in Scandinavia, where he rarely started, he has a games-to-goals ratio of 2.9.

Over the last 118 games, Chad barrett has 24 goals, for a ratio of one goal every 6.13 games.

I don't want to overhype Gerba, but I have to believe that, given that those leagues were of equivalent level to MLS, this has to be an improvement.

trane
06-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Was he officially singed and I missed it?

jloome
06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Nope, but with stat support like that, he should be.

Shakes McQueen
I think Gerba is definitely worth taking a shot on. And having another Canadian international in our colours to cheer on, is always good.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
Was he officially singed and I missed it?

No, but everything I'm hearing certainly makes it sound like it's just a matter of working out a price.

- Scott

trane
06-10-2009, 07:08 PM
^ I hope so. I agree Jloome. I hope it happens, but it needs to be done soon. But as Exiled said we are dealing with Slo-Mo here.

Shakes McQueen
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Can he even be signed before the summer transfer window opens?

We might have to wait a little while anyway.

- Scott

trane
06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
^ But he is without a contract, jloome will probably know better, but can he not be sigend any time, if he has no club ties.

jloome
06-10-2009, 07:16 PM
My understanding is that he can sign at any time, because he's out of contract. The trasnfer window only affects players under contract to another team or body recognized by UEFA.

trane
06-10-2009, 07:19 PM
^ Thanks J I knew you knew.

InTheCrowd
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Well I doubt we'd acquire Gerba's rights if we hadn't talked with him first. Chances are he's coming, and I'm glad. I can't believe that people are doubting that he's an MLS worthy striker.

trane
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
^ For some reason, I find people seem to put to much stock in one aspect of the game, that while clearly important is not essential, speed. When you tell them a guy is slow, they thing he is no good. The thing is that with good understanding of the game and passing, positioning, you can do the ball do the running so to say. SO as a striker even if you do not have the speed, you anticipate and put yourself in a good position to receive the ball and take a shot. Greba like Dichio does that very well. Inzaghi is the same, as an example.

InTheCrowd
06-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Johann's very quick, but he's on the bench day in day out. Speed is important, however we have plenty of speed and that hasn't been working for us. If we can sign Gerba on maybe a 200k salary or less I'd be happy. He is what we need. Never really had a favourite TFC player, if we sign Gerba, I've found one.

poppamidnight
06-10-2009, 08:08 PM
What is with people?

Do people not remember Mo's rate at actually signing guys/coming through on things?

If i'd have to take a guess at what his actuall signing rate is, I'd reckon it's 1/4 to 1/3...

Don't even talk about Gerba being here until he's signed....
It's just too sad getting people's hopes up like that.

InTheCrowd
06-10-2009, 08:14 PM
What is with people?

Do people not remember Mo's rate at actually signing guys/coming through on things?

If i'd have to take a guess at what his actuall signing rate is, I'd reckon it's 1/4 to 1/3...

I doubt that Mo would acquire Gerba's rights without talking to Gerba first.

S_D
06-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Another thing that many people do not consider is the need for TFC to get it's hands on Canadians that can play in the league before Vancouver can get them, and is subject to the minimum # of Canadians on the squad. This is up for review sometime soon is it not?

If Gerba is indeed signed, it gives the roster some flexibility if other Canadians need to be let go.

TFC_Chris
06-10-2009, 08:15 PM
My only concern with signing him is that he will probably be off to the Gold Cup in July, so we will be missing him during that month, which won't necessarily help our team.

Other than that, give him a shot.

jloome
06-10-2009, 08:19 PM
My only concern with signing him is that he will probably be off to the Gold Cup in July, so we will be missing him during that month, which won't necessarily help our team.

AH crap, I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks Chris. You bastard.:D:canada:

Beach_Red
06-10-2009, 08:47 PM

I wish I was Gerba's agent right now. TFC is such a motivated buyer.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Another thing that many people do not consider is the need for TFC to get it's hands on Canadians that can play in the league before Vancouver can get them, and is subject to the minimum # of Canadians on the squad. This is up for review sometime soon is it not?

If Gerba is indeed signed, it gives the roster some flexibility if other Canadians need to be let go.

It is more like the number of non-Canadians is up for review. Our international roster limits are pretty lax right now, allowing us to fill our senior roster almost entirely with Americans (normal MLS domestics) or international players. Once our extra international roster spots expire (i.e. the ones Mo Johnston obtained in trades) and when our two extra American roster spots are up for review, I expect our international roster requirements will fall in line more or less with the rest of MLS, save our three spots that can be used for American players.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-11-2009, 12:34 AM

That's pretty much a concern with any skilled Canadian player we sign. We have a hard time as it is signing quality domestic players; we can't avoid signing them because they have international careers. There will come a time when TFC's international roster requirements will be much tighter than they are right now. With fewer international slots to throw around, we'll have no choice but to sign players who get called up for Canada. The belt-tightening of our roster is inevitable; we might as well prepare for it.