PDA

View Full Version : Questions Regarding New MLS CBA

T_Mizz
06-10-2009, 08:53 AM
This is NOT news that a new MLS CBA has been reached despite the confusing title.
I'm just curious as to when a new deal will be reached and what we can expect to be on it? Or maybe what you guys hope will be on it.
I personally hope for a new cap of hopefully 5 mil and/or a soft cap system allowing some teams to spend more if they wish.
Also it'd be nice if we could setup a decent academy program without those crazy rules.

Mojo
06-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Why would you want a soft cap? The only org willing to go over a soft cap would be the Galaxy, no way having a soft cap means we're gonna use it to our advantage.

T_Mizz
06-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Well I meant a two tier cap system that was talked about before were the more successful teams that are willing to can spend an extra 2-3 mil so it's not like the Galaxy would be able to bring in a team of beckhams (which would be garbage btw) I just like the idea because teams with better support like ours would be able to stay nearer to the top (assuming we actually spend the cash).

rocker
06-10-2009, 09:30 AM
i just hope Garber and the union get this thing worked out before the end of the season.
I would hate the uncertainty in the winter.
And no way can the union think of striking or Garber think of a lockout. Get it done!

T_Mizz
06-10-2009, 09:33 AM
i just hope Garber and the union get this thing worked out before the end of the season.
I would hate the uncertainty in the winter.
And no way can the union think of striking or Garber think of a lockout. Get it done!
I barely survived the last major lockout no way I could survive this one with no TFC!:scarf::D
But I think you're right they can't even afford it, they have enough time getting fans as it is!:D

rocker
06-10-2009, 09:35 AM
i lost all interest in the NHL after their lockout in 2004. I realized NHL hockey was just a habit for me, and not something i needed.
I have not watched a complete NHL hockey game since. I used to know all the players on the Leafs very well (watched every saturday night). Now I dont know any of them and I don't care.

Fort York Redcoat
06-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I know it's to happen in 2010 but I dread they postpone it till after the season. This league can still ride the wave of the most attention it's ever had by opening up some opportunities for some great player aquisitions.

Fort York Redcoat
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
i lost all interest in the NHL after their lockout in 2004. I realized NHL hockey was just a habit for me, and not something i needed.
I have not watched a complete NHL hockey game since. I used to know all the players on the Leafs very well (watched every saturday night). Now I dont know any of them and I don't care.

Rocker I promise to step up and guide you through any lock out and we'll keep you on a steady diet of footie.

This does mean we'll have to go foreign till the summers World Cup, though. :)

Don't worry. I think MLS is aware of these alternatives as well and would do much to avoid a lockout.

rocker
06-10-2009, 09:39 AM
haha. thanks. But it's just not the same on TV..... unless I move to Europe just during the lockout...

rocker
06-10-2009, 09:40 AM
So what would you guys like to see in the new CBA?
Nothing radical, since ya know MLS will not bend on radical things.

BakaGaijin
06-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I do not believe that a salary cap is negotiable in the CBA (as a result of MLS being a single entity). MLS and the franchise operators can decide on whatever salary cap they want to.

rocker
06-10-2009, 09:45 AM
yes, I've read that too.... the league has never allowed the cap to be negotiable, and the union has no power to request to negotiate the cap, since they can't charge MLS with breaking anti trust laws.

i also read somewhere on the blogs that the union doesn't even really care about the salary cap number at this point, mainly because a higher cap combined with loosened American restrictions could mean the cash goes to foreigners. As well, a higher cap could mean many of the lesser Americans would lose jobs to returning better Americans. There could be a power struggle within the union on such a point, so I think they'll go for achievable things, like an increased salary minimum (which is in the old CBA).

BakaGaijin
06-10-2009, 09:45 AM

I would like to see minimum salary increased for players. Some of those guys would make more money working at Taco Bell.

Stryker
06-10-2009, 09:49 AM

-Salary cap raised by one million.
-Raise the non-DP threshold by 8%
-Do away with stupid DP "slots"
-First DP does not count againest the cap
-A second DP would be a $600,000 cap hit

T_Mizz
06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
That sounds awesome if it could happen through the negotiations but I'm not sure if these are changes that can be made through a new CBA.
I just hope that if the MLS wants to bend the union over with their over-controlling power that they just throw in a few general changes too.
I would love to see the academies become viable options for bringing in young talent. So I guess change those rules maybe to allow for residencies and signing as many as you want?

Waggy
06-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Actually, on the basketball side the Raptors go into the penalty area of the soft cap pretty often. They just stay away from the hard cap above it. MLSE WILL do it, if they think its worth it.

What I'd like to see? A minimum salary of 50 000, raised cap by 10-15%, and biggest thing, tie the cap to revenue like the NBA. Have it float based on what average income is. That way it moves with inflation and doesn't cripple teams spending abilities.

flatpicker
06-10-2009, 10:08 AM

I also think one DP should not count against the cap.
It's silly that it ever did in the first place.
If they want to get decent players in this league, then they shouldn't be punishing teams for bringing them in.

As for a second DP slot... I say it's fine to have some of the salary count against the cap.
But not $600,000! I would say half that.

MLS should be trying to encourage quality in the league.
If a team can afford to spend a little extra then they should be able to under new DP rules (without hurting their squad)

More quality players could increase attendance... even in cities that can't afford a DP.
That would bring in more revenue that allows poorer teams to eventually spend on a DP.
As that happens, then the salary cap should rise along with it.

CoachGT
06-10-2009, 10:19 AM

Nice thoughts, but I agree with Flatpicker that the second DP might be half that.

I'm not sure how much of this we will see in this round. Too many teams are running at a loss right now for this to be successful - only three teams reported a profit last year. Hard to see profits improving where attendance is falling, even modestly. Wouldn't be an issue for TFC, and they would spend right to the cap.

I'd be happy with an increase in the cap of $500K and an increase in minimum premium, and I'd be very happy to see the DP not count against the cap!

Stryker
06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I figured a second DP should be a substantial hit on the cap as a way of keeping balance with the "have nots" of the league.
In this model having two DP's wouldn't allow for much more than marginal players to make up the rest of the squad.
Whereas a team with no DP could build a very well rounded team with 3.4 million (current cap estimated at 2.4 million).

flatpicker
06-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I figured a second DP should be a substantial hit on the cap as a way of keeping balance with the "have nots" of the league.
In this model having two DP's wouldn't allow for much more than marginal players to make up the rest of the squad.
Whereas a team with no DP could build a very well rounded team with 3.4 million (current cap estimated at 2.4 million).

but in that situation the second DP slot is as useless as it is today.

it would only serve to hinder the rest of the team.

so why bother with it?

and, even if only 3 teams right now could afford to have 2 DP's, I think that's fine.
The quality level would not be so greatly different as to assure them of league success.
They would have an edge... but not dominate.