PDA

View Full Version : Some Gerba insight from MK dons fans

jloome
06-10-2009, 02:57 AM
So here's a fanzine's view on Gerba at MK Dons, courtesy of The Bucks Fizz (Milton Keynes is in Buckinghamshire, and a Bucks Fizz is Champagne and Orange Juice, also the name of an early 80s brit pop band. But I digress) along with some fan comments afterwards:

http://www.clubfanzine.com/images/news/news_19713.gif Robbie Culls Six To Start Clearout
Thursday 21 May 2009 08:38:14 by Site Admin

Dons release six players and another four are in negotiations on new deals as failure to secure promotion hits hard on the playing staff. 5 comments (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.showNews.php?id=19713#comments) have been left on this story

Fans were left aghast to see Ali Gerba's name on the list of those departing and yet another question is on the lips of many supporters...Does no-one at the club look at the Canadian's scoring stats ? The man has been the hottest striker at the club this season. His goals per game started or goals per minute is way in excess of top scorer Aaron Wilbraham. "Homer" as he was dubbed by one Cowshed resident was brought in by RDM and in my opinion was his best signing. Its sad to see him go.

5 comments have been left on this story
Click here (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.newsComment.php?id=19713&p=add) to add your own comment to this story
Please report any abuse or swearing by clicking the icon within the message
LinsladeDon (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.profileuser.php?id=16094) posted at 21 May 2009 14:09:14http://www.clubfanzine.com/images/icons/blue/abuse.gif (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.showNews.php?id=19713#)For me the biggest surprise in the list of released players was that Mark Wright's name was not on it. He was out of favour, and rightly so, for a long spell this season. Looking back, I can't recall him having a particularly good game at all this season. I can't see him being any better next season and fully expected him to go.

Of the six going, Abbey, Belson and Flo are well commented upon above and were generally expected to go.

Regarding the others;

Gerba is quoted as being our 'hottest striker'. If ever there was a damning comment to make on the season gone then this is it! I know we were the Division's second highest scorers as a team but it only leaves one wondering how many we would have scored had we had a prolific goalscorer in the team. I also am aware of Gerba's goal ratio whilst here but that should not cloud our judgement, especially when taking into consideration how few games he actually played, and for me, thanks but no thanks.

I also would have liked to have kept hold of JJ but agree there probably were off-field happenings which we don't know about and indications are that it was his decision to leave.

Navarro is my 'undecided'. With the progress made by Howells and, hopefully, the possibility of signing Gleeson, it may well be that RDM wanted to save a wage in this area and use it elsewhere.

Excepting Wright, I hope the ongoing contract talks with the other players mentioned are successful and would like to see them all here next season.

Now the manager has told us who won't be here next season, we wait with trepidation until he lets us know who will be!

Bring it on - COYD

LCFCDon posted at 21 May 2009 15:35:12http://www.clubfanzine.com/images/icons/blue/abuse.gif (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.showNews.php?id=19713#)Linsladedon I find your comments about Gerba to be somewhat confusing - you said "I also am aware of Gerba's goal ratio whilst here but that should not cloud our judgement, especially when taking into consideration how few games he actually played, and for me, thanks but no thanks."
The whole point of statistics are that they are facts - he may have only played in a few games but the whole point of the matter is he scored in them - he can do no more than score in the games in which he plays and that is what strikers are supposed to do.
As for Navarro being released - I find this a remarkable decision by RDM and I do hope that it is not being made because Gleeson is seen as his replacement. Gleeson looked Ok in the few games in which he played but you surely don't dispose of a tried and tested individual like Navarro on the off chamce that i) Gleeson might be made available by Wolves on a free or ii) he might turn out to be a good player.
We'd better pray that the Club don't play silly B****rs with Llera, Regan and Swailes in the contract stakes. I'm sure RDM has players lined up and how much worse could any of them be than Cummings, Belson and Flo !!

BucksFizzAdmin (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.profileuser.php?id=11) posted at 21 May 2009 16:25:09http://www.clubfanzine.com/images/icons/blue/abuse.gif (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.showNews.php?id=19713#)LinsladeDon the point about Gerba is that despite his few appearances hes knocked in a decent ratio of goals and is more likely to get a goal than anyone else in the squad. Hes not perfect and not necessarily the answer to our prayers. Hopefully RDM will find us a real striker to lead the line.

LinsladeDon (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.profileuser.php?id=16094) posted at 21 May 2009 20:47:39http://www.clubfanzine.com/images/icons/blue/abuse.gif (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.showNews.php?id=19713#)May I defend my comments above, in particular about Gerba:

I am not denying that Gerba's statistics prove him to be is our hottest striker but am trying to highlight the fact that a player whose first touch is awful, who cannot jump any height to head a ball, whose offside awareness is very poor etc etc does not deserve a new contract.
BucksFizzAdmin's comment that he (Gerba - not BFA (?)) is more likely to get a goal than anyone else in the squad doesn't necessarily say much for Gerba but merely highlights our weaknesses elsewhere. Furthermore, what statistics don't tell us is that excluding his goal, for bravery not skill, away against Walsall and his self made excellent goal in what I think was his last home game, every other goal was handed to him on the proverbial plate.
I still say, thanks but no thanks and being mindful of the old adage 'when in a hole stop digging' will leave it at that.
We just have to trust RDM to bring in better players than he is letting go.

AndyandChas posted at 21 May 2009 20:52:27http://www.clubfanzine.com/images/icons/blue/abuse.gif (http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.showNews.php?id=19713#)We are in agreement with Linslade Don regarding Gerba. True his scoring ratio is fairly good, but lets not forget we were the highest scorers in the league and how many would Jack Lester (for instance) have scored had he played the same amount of games with the same service? In our opinion Gerba never looked fit and lacked the necessary pace at this level.

With the emergance of Luke Howell as an automatic choice in the midfield, Navarro would probably find himself on the bench more often than not. Nevertheless it's a shame to see the fans favourite go and we wish him the best of luck where-ever he ends up. One thing was always certain with Navarro, and that was he would always give 100%.

As for JJ, perhaps the truth may come out one day, but the lad has got bundles of ability and will be a loss. We'll never forget his superb goal at Walsall or his goal of the season at Cheltenham.

No big suprises regarding the other departures, but we are suprised Mark Wright was not on the list as he gave the impression his heart wasn't with it this season. Let's hope the RDM can get more out of him next season!

Anyway no doom and gloom here, we have every faith in RDM and expect a top 6 finish again next season.

Come on you Dons!

Brooker
06-10-2009, 03:20 AM
great find

felipe
06-10-2009, 05:57 AM
yikes...thats not too encouraging...at least he's hitting the sitters...we don't have anyone else on the roster seemingly capable of even that...

Ossington Mental Youth
06-10-2009, 06:16 AM
LinsladeDon the point about Gerba is that despite his few appearances hes knocked in a decent ratio of goals and is more likely to get a goal than anyone else in the squad. Hes not perfect and not necessarily the answer to our prayers.

sounds like us

Ossington Mental Youth
06-10-2009, 06:18 AM
theres a good reason hes played for as many clubs as he has.
Regardless id like to see him have a go (and obviously succeed) here

Toronto Gunner
06-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Furthermore, what statistics don't tell us is that excluding his goal, for bravery not skill, away against Walsall and his self made excellent goal in what I think was his last home game, every other goal was handed to him on the proverbial plate.

Handing our strikers the opportunity to score on a proverbial plate isn't the problem - we do that game in and game out, the problem is our strikers. Even if all Gerba can do is tap in a ball from 5 yards out, it will be a vast improvement.

CoachGT
06-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Good find, and good information. Thanks!

InTheCrowd
06-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Handing our strikers the opportunity to score on a proverbial plate isn't the problem - we do that game in and game out, the problem is our strikers. Even if all Gerba can do is tap in a ball from 5 yards out, it will be a vast improvement.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking! ;)

mr k
06-10-2009, 08:33 AM
comments sound like Gerba's appearances with Canada - nothing really catches your eye other than his size, doesn't do much for most of the match but when the goals are scored, Gerba is usually involved.

Pachuco
06-10-2009, 08:36 AM
A little dissapointed in the comments. But then again you have to take everything you read on forums with a grain of salt. What I'm hearing is that he has problems with offsides (not good since Barrett and dero have that problem too). He has no pace and he doesn't have a first touch. Hmmm....I haven't seen a lack of pace or a lack of first touch from him on the Canadian National team but hey, that's pretty limited time I've seen him play.

The positive though is he can tap the ball into the net. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM ON THIS TEAM is the inability to tap the ball into the net. Maybe that's all we need to start scoring more goals.

Carts
06-10-2009, 08:37 AM
jloome: thanks for finding/posting this - excellent to hear what some of his fans at MK Dons thinks (I know, fans are just fans etc etc etc - but interesting to read as there's not too much floating around about him)...

Carts...

Beach_Red
06-10-2009, 08:37 AM

So true. In that highlight reel he seems to not aim right at the goalie - that's a big improvement over what we have now.

brad
06-10-2009, 08:44 AM
So true. In that highlight reel he seems to not aim right at the goalie - that's a big improvement over what we have now.

You can't judge anything by a highlight reel. There are some impressive highlight reel goals by Barrett on youtube as well.

Boudge
06-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Great find!

Let's hope we see him on the pitch sooner than later

Boh!

BFin
06-10-2009, 08:53 AM
They seemed to think he wasn't match fit, Paul could whip him into shape and get that jumping and pace up quite quickly.
I don't see those comments as too bad, just seemed like one guy more not liking Ali more than anything.
Might as well give him a chance.

maninb
06-10-2009, 08:54 AM
If we sign him and considering he cost NOTHING he can't be any worse than Shitti Vitti and Barren Barrett

brad
06-10-2009, 09:00 AM
They seemed to think he wasn't match fit, Paul could whip him into shape and get that jumping and pace up quite quickly.

I highly doubt that Winsper will be the difference here, as I fail to believe that a Championship Club doesn't have a decent fitness coach (if they didn't the Dons fans would be complaining about the fitness of the rest of the players as well).

Rumors seem to point to Gerba dogging it in training which, if true, is the explanation.

Might as well give him a chance.

I agree.

olegunnar
06-10-2009, 09:01 AM
If we sign him and considering he cost NOTHING he can't be any worse than Shitti Vitti and Barren Barrett

He won't cost nothing.

IF we sign him he'll probably cost us the cap space for a DP. Not all of the room we'd need, but it would be a significant factor. So no DP again this year...but we get a league 1 striker....yay!

It's funny. We joke about Mo and the 5 year plans...but all we get in reality is knee jerk band aid after knee jerk band aid band aid. Theres no plan.

Beach_Red
06-10-2009, 09:05 AM
He won't cost nothing.

IF we sign him he'll probably cost us the cap space for a DP. Not all of the room we'd need, but it would be a significant factor. So no DP again this year...but we get a league 1 striker....yay!

It's funny. We joke about Mo and the 5 year plans...but all we get in reality is knee jerk band aid after knee jerk band aid band aid. Theres no plan.

That's the worst thing about all this, no DP. Of course, we should have known that in a salary cap league MLSE would spend to the cap and not a cent more.

I'm curious about the five year plan. Did anyone ever actually use the word "plan," or did they say it would take five years to bring an expansion team to a level to compete for the championship? I only ask because in a league that survives on cast-off players from other leagues, a very chancy draft and no development of its own, the whole idea of a plan seems pointless. This is a grab what-you-can-get league.

InTheCrowd
06-10-2009, 09:06 AM
He won't cost nothing.

Championship striker that is.

Why are people complaining when we are trying to make changes and this is obviously a good move for us. We lose almost nothing and gain a whole load!

Pachuco
06-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Championship striker that is.

Why are people complaining when we are trying to make changes and this is obviously a good move for us. We lose almost nothing and gain a whole load!

Isn't MK Dons in League One?

Anyways, I personally doubt Gerba will cost us 400K. I mean come on, the guy has been playing in League 1 and hasn't even made an impression there. He's probably worth 100K if you ask me. Any more then 150K and I'd say fuck it, we don't need him. I still want that DP we've been promised in the summer.

greatwhitenorf
06-10-2009, 09:27 AM
"I also am aware of Gerba's goal ratio whilst here ..."

Wish more posters on here used nice language like that. And they have a button to report foul language.

All the best UK footie forums either disallow or filter profanity, i.e., c-nts automatically becomes cads.

Would do wonders on here.

Chevy
06-10-2009, 09:28 AM
We're getting a USL caliber player. He's 27 and maybe he steps it up in MLS, maybe not (he's bounced around A LOT). Also, the comments about laziness and offsides really worry me (i.e. Cunningham)

Don't expect Del Piero.

InTheCrowd
06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Isn't MK Dons in League One?

Wow, I'm not with it today. For some reason I thought they were in the Championship lol. Sorry about that.

trane
06-10-2009, 09:40 AM
^ You like saying that , but he is not a USl caliber player. Again League One is just about MlS quality, probably better as far as the team play is concerned, he has played in third and second tier european leagues, and he plays for out national team, he is MLS caliber. Whether he will be good, bad or great, we will not know unless he plays for us. But he would be a decent signing. Again not Del Piero but he is likely better then Barret overall, and a better scoring instinct the Vitti has shown so far, altough Vitti has way more skill.

Pachuco
06-10-2009, 09:45 AM
^ You like saying that , but he is not a USl caliber player. Again League One is just about MlS quality, probably better as far as the team play is concerned, he has played in third and second tier european leagues, and he plays for out national team, he is MLS caliber. Whether he will be good, bad or great, we will not know unless he plays for us. But he would be a decent signing. Again not Del Piero but he is likely better then Barret overall, and a better scoring instinct the Vitti has shown so far, altough Vitti has way more skill.

But he failed to impress in League One. And so, if you say League One is equal to MLS, which I'm not sure I agree with, then you would still be saying he failed to impress in the MLS. The question is, will be step it up or does the MLS game suit him more then League One. Going based on where he played last year and what he accomplished, he's probably the caliber of a top USL team or bottom MLS team.

Chevy
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
^

If League 1 = MLS (which is debateable), and Gerba was RELEASED from League 1, that would by default make him USL Caliber.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he scores twenty for us, but I'm just trying to lower expectations.

trane
06-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Dudes, wake up the overall level of play in MLS is shit. Watch a league One game, and if you still think that it is debatable, that it is better, then I will question what you think is good footy. He played in league one and he scored. Do I think this is our best signing ever no. Do I think, from seeing him play that he could become our best striker, in light of the current striker, excluding Dichio, who is simply not playing enough, yes.

MLS is not championship level, any club in the championship would beat us in a meangfull game. For one, we make way to many defensive mistakes as a team and as a league.

Stryker
06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Gerba is a slow tank with a powerful strike and good passing.

trane
06-10-2009, 10:00 AM
^ I will take that. Plus he has good footy IQ from what I have seen of him, he knows were to pass the ball and were to be. You put him and Dichio upfront and they will put someserious pressure of MLS defenders.

denime
06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Since USL teams kicking our asses in Canadian V's Cup 2 years in a row,maybe we should be looking more into USL players than SPL/Coca-Cola/1 league washed out players.

flatpicker
Dudes, wake up the overall level of play in MLS is shit. Watch a league One game, and if you still think that it is debatable, that it is better, then I will question what you think is good footy. He played in league one and he scored. Do I think this is our best signing ever no. Do I think, from seeing him play that he could become our best striker, in light of the current striker, excluding Dichio, who is simply not playing enough, yes.

MLS is not championship level, any club in the championship would beat us in a meangfull game. For one, we make way to many defensive mistakes as a team and as a league.

I agree.
I've watched League One action in person.
They are quick and aggressive players.
Not the same level of sloppiness that we have in MLS.

Gerba may do well in MLS... but obviously we won't know until he's here (if he ever does come)

Blazer
Gerba ... did we just aquire a race horse? Ali?

InTheCrowd
06-10-2009, 10:04 AM
The other thing is, he didn't fail to impress.

Pachuco
06-10-2009, 10:09 AM
The other thing is, he didn't fail to impress.

He didn't? if he didn't fail to impress why was he released?

canucker
06-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I was just on another site for MK, here's what 2 fans had to say:

"He was a useful striker for us for the short time that he was with us. He missed quite a few games due to international duties, but that shouldn't be an issue for you lot.

If I have a criticism it's that he always seemed over weight. He's about 14st and 5ft 10" which isn't ideal for a football player - especially a forward. If he trimmed down a bit he'd probably be twice the player."

AND:

"We were fortunate enough to sponsor Ali last season. A decent chap with time for the fans and although cleary unfit for large parts of the season, he proved himself to be a valuable home-soil striker and averaged the highest goals-per-game ratio throughout our entire squad.

At his best when facing goal, mainly because his hold-up lay is poor for such a big man. I'd imagine he has a turn of pace somewhere up his sleeve, but he'd need to lay off the Big Macs for a while if he's ever to show it. We didn't christen him Ali Berga for nothing!

Enjoy him if you get him. He'll be a big player at that level."

So there are lots of differing opinions out there. Who knows how he will turn out if in fact he even plays for us!

Darlofletch
06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Confirms what i thought about him, he won't look particularly impressive, but he'll somehow end up with a bunch of goals. the anti-Vitti/Barrett, and I would suggest just what we need, we're good at creating chances but can't finish.

If he signs, will he be the the answer to our prayers, and everything's ok now, no, but I'm reasonably optimistic he'll be an improvement.

Question is, where would he fit into our line up. The comments don't suggest he'd be good in a wide forward spot such as Barrett and Vitti play. Is he big enough and good enough to play in Dichio's centre forward spot? Or do we switch to 4-4-2, have him play off Dichio? If we do that, presumably we're going to keep Guevara and De Ro in the team, so where's the width coming from?

I haven't a clue as to what the answers to all that would be. Hopefully Cummins would find a way to make it work.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-10-2009, 10:18 AM

That is exactly what we need. We have no problem setting up scoring chances; we just can't finish them off. At the end of the day, I could care less if every goal we score belongs on the highlight reel. If Gerba can increase our tally of garbage goals, the more power to him.

maninb
06-10-2009, 10:19 AM
^ I will take that. Plus he has good footy IQ from what I have seen of him, he knows were to pass the ball and were to be. You put him and Dichio upfront and they will put someserious pressure of MLS defenders.

Well said....Neither barrett or Vitti can pass the ball worth sh*t!!! he'll certainly be able to bring in our attacking midfielders a lot more! And he certainly knows where the net is!

Roogsy
06-10-2009, 10:19 AM

Seriously...I was thinking the same thing.

trane
06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree.
I've watched League One action in person.
They are quick and aggressive players.
Not the same level of sloppiness that we have in MLS.

Gerba may do well in MLS... but obviously we won't know until he's here (if he ever does come)

Sometimes I think that is the level of manager we should bring over, a succefull league One Manager. To instill some discipline and footy understading to MLS squads.

bee dubya
06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I was just on another site for MK, here's what 2 fans had to say:

"He was a useful striker for us for the short time that he was with us. He missed quite a few games due to international duties, but that shouldn't be an issue for you lot.

If I have a criticism it's that he always seemed over weight. He's about 14st and 5ft 10" which isn't ideal for a football player - especially a forward. If he trimmed down a bit he'd probably be twice the player."

AND:

"We were fortunate enough to sponsor Ali last season. A decent chap with time for the fans and although cleary unfit for large parts of the season, he proved himself to be a valuable home-soil striker and averaged the highest goals-per-game ratio throughout our entire squad.

At his best when facing goal, mainly because his hold-up lay is poor for such a big man. I'd imagine he has a turn of pace somewhere up his sleeve, but he'd need to lay off the Big Macs for a while if he's ever to show it. We didn't christen him Ali Berga for nothing!

Enjoy him if you get him. He'll be a big player at that level."

So there are lots of differing opinions out there. Who knows how he will turn out if in fact he even plays for us!

This sounds like Colin Samuel Part 2...

I hope that he turns out to be a poacher for us. If he can pot goals for us, I don't care how overweight/out of shape he is.

trane
06-10-2009, 10:35 AM
^From what I have seen he does ,not have a beer belly, alla Samuel he is just not as fit as he could be.

Anyway we many not even be close to signing him , it may be another Mo thing, you know " we are close but it just did not happen".

flambe
06-10-2009, 10:43 AM
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/JPCmareac22/gerba_derosario_cp_260.jpg

I'm excited about this possibility, he has played with DeRo and other Canadian nationals before, "might" be some good chemistry? Who knows.....

fyi, Gerba is the one on the left....;)

canucker
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
^^^^
We could all be working ourselves up into a bother for nothing! lol

Stryker
06-10-2009, 10:52 AM
^^^^
We could all be working ourselves up into a bother for nothing! lol

I'll cling to any hopes for improvement I can right now.

Pigfynn
06-10-2009, 10:53 AM
^^ You're always going to have supporters of this club work themselves up into a bother when we're talking goal scorers because we've never, ever had one.

In 2.5 seasons, while other teams have enjoyed watching their home side put the ball in the net- we have been told to "wait, it'll come"

sigh

trane
06-10-2009, 10:55 AM
^ Yes, but you have had the opportunity of seeing the other teams putting the ball into our net. Why is that no good enough for you?

Pigfynn
06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
^^Hahaha

I don't know, I guess it's that damn pride of mine.

TFC~Vatreni
06-10-2009, 11:02 AM
A very credible source has just confirmed that Ali Gerba is in fact rated a 74 in FIFA09 the video game. This is very good news for Mo and the rest of the front office who only reference Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 when investigating acquisitions.

Velvet Elvis
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
^ Yes, but you have had the opportunity of seeing the other teams putting the ball into our net. Why is that no good enough for you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stryker
06-10-2009, 11:06 AM
A very credible source has just confirmed that Ali Gerba is in fact rated a 74 in FIFA09 the video game. This is very good news for Mo and the rest of the front office who only reference Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 when investigating acquisitions.

Actually he's a rather low 62 in Fifa. :)

Ageroo
06-10-2009, 11:16 AM
He may not be the second coming of Christ, but I hope and pray that he is an improvement....which I believe he definitely is.....

MartinUtd
06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I read some fan comments the day after he was released that charged him as being lazy. There wasn't much detail beyond that though.

Yohan
06-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I read some fan comments the day after he was released that charged him as being lazy. There wasn't much detail beyond that though.
edson buddle was accused of being lazy...

so are a lot of good strikers...

given a good coach, those lazy habits go away fast

dupont
06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
He may not be the second coming of Christ, but I hope and pray that he is an improvement....

Christ is way overrated to be honest.. although he had some flashes of brilliance a couple thousand years ago, he is way past his prime and needs to step aside to let some younger people in on the action.

scooter
06-10-2009, 11:55 AM
amen to that

wonder when white will be match fit

Pookie
06-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Gerba was released. I would be surprised if I saw positive comments.

If he can convert chances that are "handed to him on a silver plate" that's a step up from volleying them softly into the arms of a Keeper, tapping them slowly to the line only to have it cleared, headed off a post, or worse... 10 rows deep into section 115 etc... etc.

jloome
06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
He's always been like this. Hardcore fans tend to judge him pudgy and slow. But as I've noted in another thread, his strike rate (games per goal, not goals per shot) over the last five years is really good.

He's a poacher, a junk finisher. That's exactly what we need.

I'll also make this observation, which I suggest people check in the youtube video: hsi shot is not only very powerful, his release is REALLY, REALLY quick. That's hard for goaltenders to adjust to, which is why you see him score on goals even when he doesn't push it to the post, as it were.

trane
06-10-2009, 07:33 PM
He's always been like this. Hardcore fans tend to judge him pudgy and slow. But as I've noted in another thread, his strike rate (games per goal, not goals per shot) over the last five years is really good.

I'll also make this observation, which I suggest people check in the youtube video: hsi shot is not only very powerful, his release is REALLY, REALLY quick. That's hard for goaltenders to adjust to, which is why you see him score on goals even when he doesn't push it to the post, as it were.

That is exactly why I like him. He takes not time to put a powerfull shot on goal. He can do it with the least bit of space. The Dons fans say he has a horrible first touch, but compared to what I have seen in this league, I think it is good. His positioning/footy IQ is also good he puts himslef in great positions, to catch and shoot ( to use a basketball term).

Baggio2TFC
06-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm hearing Colin Samuel all over again!!. Maybe he is out of shape cause he is training with team Canada. when he get back from int. duty, that seems to be when he is out of shape. Hmmmm.....

jloome
06-10-2009, 08:56 PM
There was also a thread on the other main Dons chat site that said he wised up and shed the weight, which is why he was playing more.

I also love it when football fans prognosticate that "eventually" someone will be a crap striker, because they have no technique etc. It's like Buddy Ryan getting rid of Cris Carter from the Philadelphia Eagles because "all he does is catch touchdowns."

Toronto Ruffrider
06-11-2009, 12:39 AM

You are bang on. This video montage of Ali Gerba's goals for Canada confirms your post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrnZP9FAk0

jloome
06-11-2009, 01:25 AM
You are bang on. This video montage of Ali Gerba's goals for Canada confirms your post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrnZP9FAk0

I'm cautiously optimistic. I hate to ever get excited about these things anymore...