PDA

View Full Version : Backline for Saturday?

poppamidnight
06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
What's everybody's thought's on the weekend's backline?

No Wynne
+ Possibly no Brennan + Nana?

...What was the thoughts on Gomez first game action?
- Factor in Garcia acquisition.

If Brennan + Nana are no good, I'd personally prefer to see this as our back 4:

a - Harmse__Garcia___Serioux___Gomez
-With Gala will get bench time along with Velez

b - If Nana's ready:
Nana_____Garcia____Serioux____Gomez
-Harmse + Gala on Bench (send Velez a message)

I'm going with that four simply because after last games pathetic performance, Velez has proven to be such a liability in attempting (and failing) to mark men, that I no longer see him being a player we should even consider fielding.

And I still thinks Harmse is junk, and am hoping Nana cam play there instead (yes, I view Gomez as more field-ready than Harmse),

Either way, we're in for a tough ride in the backline on Saturday. What do you guys see the backline, and the bench looking?
With/Without Nana, and without Jimmy B

Lennon
06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
#2 looks good to me ... kepe Velez and Harmse as far away from the field as possible ... would like to see Mo bring in another experienced defender but that doesn't look very likely now ...

poppamidnight
06-09-2009, 04:52 PM
#2 looks good to me ... kepe Velez and Harmse as far away from the field as possible ... would like to see Mo bring in another experienced defender but that doesn't look very likely now ...

Sidenote:

Velez makes $63,000, Harmse make's $79,000

I'm honestly shocked Sutton was cut at his pricetag seeing how much Harmse makes....
...I honestly thought Harmse was making like $35-40,000

rocker
06-09-2009, 05:01 PM
i know it's a tough choice, but I prefer velez over harmse. harmse just has very little soccer IQ and has one speed (that slow jog). velez can do a little more than he can.

bhoybobby
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
i know it's a tough choice, but I prefer velez over harmse. harmse just has very little soccer IQ and has one speed (that slow jog). velez can do a little more than he can.

We could always play with 10 men. Velez let's you down when you think he'll do a job & Harmse is just a donkey who occasionally clatters someone.

One is guaranteed to fuck up, the other keeps you guessing, play a young lad(s) in there place

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 06:04 PM
There's no point sending Velez a message, it won't improve his game. It's the same with Barrett, what you see is what you get, and no amount of benching is going to stop them making awful mistakes on the field.

cochrdoc
06-09-2009, 07:11 PM
If you read soccer by Ives,they don`t rate Garcia very high this year.Say he is a salary dump they are happy to get rid of because of poor defending.I sure hope this is an upgrade to what we have.It has been to dissappointing so far to see us defend.

CretanBull
06-09-2009, 07:17 PM
^We paid a 4th round pick for Harmes. We gave up a 3rd for Garcia & Gerba...perspective & realistic expectations are important here.

thisisinternetclash
06-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Dropping Robbo back to centre half is an option as well. He played pretty well there at the end of last season. Then move Cronin more central (his natural position, anyway) and bring Ricketts in?

Nuvinho
06-09-2009, 08:48 PM
If no Nana:

Cronin-Garcia-Serioux-Harmse

If Nana is available:

Cronin-Nana-Garcia-Serioux

Chevy
06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
^We paid a 4th round pick for Harmes. We gave up a 3rd for Garcia & Gerba...perspective & realistic expectations are important here.

+1. No offense to him, but Garcia is a spare part. A spare part that we need right now, but don't expect Cannavarro out there.

ACSertL
06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I'd be persuaded to give Velez a shot at Right Back....if I am not mistaken that is his natural position.

:hide:

Chevy
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Here's my depth chart.

G: 1.Frei 2.Edwards

D: 1.Serioux 2.Nana 3.Wynne 4.Brennan 5.Garcia 6.Velez 7.Gomez 8.Gala 9.Sanyang

M: 1.Guevara 2.Cronin 3.Robinson 4.Ricketts 5.Harmse 6.Smith

F: 1.Derosario 2.Dichio 3.Vitti 4.Barrett 5.Ibrahim 6.White

SoccMan
06-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I know there are many Robinson lovers out here,however, I have never been a fan. He makes to many bad passes, can't shoot and is not effective enough for us in the midfield,but something tells me he would make a very good center back and I would try him back there. He has to be an improvement over Harmse and Velez back there. Throw Cronin in Robinson's position and then bring on the Bulls Saturday and we have a game.

T_Mizz
06-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Who do we even have to back up Brennan at LB (prety sure Gala is but he never plays so he can't be ready)? I'm pretty sure Dunny was our only cover and he's looooong gone, having said that I think b from the original post looks the best (assuming Nana's ready)