McGill
06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Interesting stuff, too bad Sutton had to go :(

Roogsy
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Gutted

Waggy
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks man. So that phone get through to wherever in the world Ali is?.....

rocker
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't understand this part:

"Mo had limited options, and because I'm on a guaranteed contract … I was the last resort to free up some money for him," Sutton told CBCSports.ca.

how does having a guaranteed contract mean Mo frees up money by waiving him?

guess I don't understand the MLS rules here.....

Toronto_Bhoy
06-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the scoop John.

While I wasn't the biggest Sutton fan he kept us in games we didn't deserve to be in…on many occasions.

Was it DC or NE they scored 4 on him…could have easily been 10 or 11 that night.

Best of luck Greg and thanks.

TorontoBlades
06-09-2009, 05:08 PM

"Mo had limited options, and because I'm on a guaranteed contract … I was the last resort to free up some money for him," Sutton told CBCSports.ca.

money against the cap maybe?

dupont
06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Best of luck Greg. You played some excellent games for TFC during a time when you had no support at all from the team.
Sad to see him go but this is just the nature of the MLS salary structure so I can understand why it had to be done.

johnmolinaro
06-09-2009, 05:15 PM

UGH. the sub-editor hacked my copy and took out a vital part of info!

that graph should read:
"Mo had limited options and because I'm on a guaranteed contract, I think it wasn't as easy to [trade] me as it was other guys he might have wanted to move. I was the last resort to free up some money for him," Sutton told CBCSports.ca.

It's being corrected now. Thanks for pointing that out, as I may not have noticed otherwise. Lesson for all you aspiring journalists out there: always check your stories after the copy desk works on it, because chances are they've screwed something up!

Damn sub-editors - can't trust any of them!!!:wink5:

FluSH
06-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Just got off the phone with Sutts. here's the story:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/06/09/sp-sutton.html

John

With the Scooooooooooooop!

p.s. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait no contreversy!? snap =P

ecospice
06-09-2009, 05:40 PM
UGH. the sub-editor hacked my copy and took out a vital part of info!

that graph should read:
"Mo had limited options and because I'm on a guaranteed contract, I think it wasn't as easy to [trade] me as it was other guys he might have wanted to move. I was the last resort to free up some money for him," Sutton told CBCSports.ca.

It's being corrected now. Thanks for pointing that out, as I may not have noticed otherwise. Lesson for all you aspiring journalists out there: always check your stories after the copy desk works on it, because chances are they've screwed something up!

Damn sub-editors - can't trust any of them!!!:wink5:

:drinking:<-- a CBC Sub-Editor?

SilverSamurai
06-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Not impressed... not at all...
Sadly life is not fair though...

sulfur
06-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Was it DC or NE they scored 4 on him…could have easily been 10 or 11 that night.
DC at the start of season #2 for certain. Maybe NE mid-season 1 also.

alexintoronto
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I liked Sutton - class guy.

But if moving our backup goalkeeper allows us to get a starting striker or starting CB we should. I'm not convinced Garcia is still good enough to be a starting CB on a good playoff team. Hopefully we can sign Gerba for a reasonable contract and he'll play well enough to be a starter.

Blazer
06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Glad he took it all in stride like a man and like a professional. Leaving with your lips sealed isn’t easy but chalk another one up to the class act that is Greg Sutton.

Kevvv
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I would have phrased it:

But if moving one of our two backup goalkeepers allows us to get a starting striker or starting CB we should. I'm not convinced Garcia is still good enough to be a starting CB on a good playoff team. Hopefully we can sign Gerba for a reasonable contract and he'll play well enough to be a starter.

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Frei's missed games with injuries this season. If it happens again, who's going to sit on the bench for Edwards?

Marco2K
06-09-2009, 06:49 PM
are u kidding?

we dont need 3 goalies.

I am a big sutton fan but it had to be done.
had the pleasure of chatting with him afew time. CLASS ACT. HE will be missed.

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 07:02 PM
are u kidding?

we dont need 3 goalies.

I am a big sutton fan but it had to be done.
had the pleasure of chatting with him afew time. CLASS ACT. HE will be missed.

Explain to me what happens when you are playing your backup and he gets hurt?

If there's no goalie on the bench, who's in goal?

shawn6597
06-09-2009, 07:04 PM
i bet brian edwards is licking his chops at the prospect of kicking a football outsde of practice one of these days

Too bad about Greg, class act and a TFC original :(

alexintoronto
06-09-2009, 07:06 PM

If we need 3 goalies one of the 2 backups shouldn't be making over $150K like Sutton was. We can sign someone cheaper since they may not even play anyway.

Batman
06-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Sutton...class act to the end! Good Luck Greg Sutton.

akoto
06-09-2009, 07:37 PM
There's only one Greg Sutton.

Will be missed. Good luck Sutts.

InTheCrowd
06-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Now we drop Edwards and sign a Canadian reserve keeper on a relatively low salary.

rocker
06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
If we need 3 goalies one of the 2 backups shouldn't be making over $150K like Sutton was. We can sign someone cheaper since they may not even play anyway.

don't forget the MLS emergency pool keepers :)

Where the heck is Sam Reynolds these days anyway?

GingerNinja
06-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Frei's missed games with injuries this season. If it happens again, who's going to sit on the bench for Edwards?

The MLS has a Keeper pool, so if any team is in desperate need of a keeper, they lend one to you.
That's how we got Sam Reynolds in Season 1, and Dallas went through like 4 pool keepers last season, they all kept getting hurt with them.

Plus I've seen games in Europe when both keepers got hurt, a defender stepped up and went in the net.

InTheCrowd
06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I remember the Turkey - Czech Republic match during Euro 08. Turkey went down 2-0 in the first half. From the 75th minute onwards they managed to score three goals making it 3-2. Then a Swiss player made fun of Volkan's family so he got angry and shoved the Swiss player over. He got sent off with a red. Turkey had no substitutions left and Tuncay went in goal for the last 5 minutes of the game. :D

Carts
06-09-2009, 08:20 PM

Its simple - every player in the league actually signs with their contract with MLS itself... Sutton is on a guaranteed contract, so if he was to be traded elsewhere - he's guaranteed to make the same money...

If he goes through the wire, and nobody selects him, he becomes a free-agent, and can sign with another team at new, negotiated salary...

With three goalkeepers, and Sutton making decent money for this league, it would be very tough to move him, as the team he'd be traded to would need to have, at a bare minimum, his salary in cap space...

Carts...

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
The MLS has a Keeper pool, so if any team is in desperate need of a keeper, they lend one to you.
That's how we got Sam Reynolds in Season 1, and Dallas went through like 4 pool keepers last season, they all kept getting hurt with them.

Plus I've seen games in Europe when both keepers got hurt, a defender stepped up and went in the net.

I remember Jagielka stepping up for Sheffield and holding a draw against Arsenal because their manager decided not to have a keeper on the bench.

Thing is Jagielka had trained as a goalie before.

Do you think Harmse is up to the task?

I also think people underrate the importance of the keeper, I would never want that position filled with an unknown quantity assigned because he wasn't good enough for first team play.

Sam Reynolds is an exception to that though, he was great.

Dave67
06-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I liked Sutton as a person and an original TFC player but lets be honest. No way was he worth $165K this year. Frei and Edwards are fine, we don't need 3 keepers with our other glaring problems on this team. If Frei is out and Edwards gets injured just put Wynne in net. He can't keep his damn hands off the ball.

sulfur
06-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Where the heck is Sam Reynolds these days anyway?
Rochester Rhinos in the USL apparently :)

werewolf
06-09-2009, 08:38 PM

I saw Monsalve hanging around BMO on Saturday... :lol:

Roogsy
06-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Monsalve is with a club in Europe...his season is done. He isn't a reserve keeper for the MLS anymore.

Detroit_TFC
06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I liked Sutton as a person and an original TFC player but lets be honest. No way was he worth $165K this year. Frei and Edwards are fine, we don't need 3 keepers with our other glaring problems on this team. If Frei is out and Edwards gets injured just put Wynne in net. He can't keep his damn hands off the ball.

LOL good one :D

werewolf
06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
No, he was just visiting. He plays in Finland, and they are on a mid-season break.

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 08:50 PM

That's a shame, he had real heart. He won me over when he outperformed all our regular goalies, and made some real decisive saves.

GingerNinja
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I saw Monsalve hanging around BMO on Saturday... :lol:

He was sitting a few rows in front of me with Jaime Peters.:canada:

TFC Cityboy
06-09-2009, 09:15 PM
the move to release Greg and bring in reinforcements where we NEED them makes sense. Thanks, Greg and good luck.

gardooney
06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Best of luck to Greg in his future endeavors. Always kind to us fans and great with the kids. Even had time for the drunken louts amongst us. Of which I know were few and far between.:)

Cannon
06-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Haha that was great!

InTheCrowd
06-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Wikipedia says the Aztecs.

felipe
06-10-2009, 05:50 AM
I'll miss Sutton; like many said before me, he kept us in a lot of games we had no business being in; onward to league 1, Greg

sulfur
06-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Wikipedia says the Aztecs.
Oops. My bad. Good call.

Got confused because they're playing each other this weekend.

CoachGT
06-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Greg has been very good with the fans and last year, came out to see some of us when we were in New England after the game. Class act and I wish him the best.

As stated elsewhere, he's earned our respect and I hope thake the initiative and give one last chant this weekend for him (39th minute, representing the number of appearances he had for us?).

Carter
06-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Greg has been very good with the fans and last year, came out to see some of us when we were in New England after the game. Class act and I wish him the best.

As stated elsewhere, he's earned our respect and I hope thake the initiative and give one last chant this weekend for him (39th minute, repreenting the number of appearances he had for us?).

Sounds like a really good idea to me Coach.

stu!
06-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Classy way to leave the organization but I met him on 2 different occasions and he seemed like a miserable dude, to be honest.....

Having said that, I wish no ill will towards him and hope he can bounce back somewhere else....

C.Ronaldo
06-10-2009, 08:42 AM
finland has a mid season break?

how bizzare......does that mean players have no option but to play for their national teams in the summer?

Cuz
06-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Sad to see Sutton go... but what's even more sad is how the "salary cap" is going to ruin footy for us over here same way it has for hockey. If the Leafs were able to spend their money on players like footy teams do instead of "profit sharing" in order to keep failing clubs afloat, then they would be in contention for a cup every year same as any top football club.

Pachuco
06-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Sad to see Sutton go... but what's even more sad is how the "salary cap" is going to ruin footy for us over here same way it has for hockey. If the Leafs were able to spend their money on players like footy teams do instead of "profit sharing" in order to keep failing clubs afloat, then they would be in contention for a cup every year same as any top football club.

This argument is absolutely ridicolous. how long has the salary cap been around in the NHL? like 5 years? when's the last time the Leafs won the cup? like 41 years ago?

we have possibly the cheapest owners in the freeking world running this team and you really think the salary cap is our problem? I can just about guarantee you that we wouldn't have the highest payroll in the league if there was no cap.

Gobi
06-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Hmph.
Well, this isn't very surprising and I have to admit that it's probably the right thing for Mo to do, but I'm going to miss Sutton. He was always one of my favourites.
There's Only One Greg Sutton!

Stay classy, Sutts.

Technorgasm
06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
"I could be bitter about it, but I don't think that's going to do any good for me. I'm not the kind of guy who's going to go and say things that are going to cause controversy. I'm not going to stoop to that level," said Sutton.

= I AM PISSED and dont want to leave.

alexintoronto
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM
He was being overpaid for the role he was playing this year. Is there anything from stopping us from re-signing him at a lower price later this year or next? Not saying we should as his age is also a consideration - but if the price is right...

Yohan
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
He was being overpaid for the role he was playing this year. Is there anything from stopping us from re-signing him at a lower price later this year or next? Not saying we should as his age is also a consideration - but if the price is right...
i think there's more chance that he'll get picked up by Van or Mtl than resigning with TFC...

Parkdale
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
so..... can I have a media guide?

[/tim90]

just kidding

Roogsy
06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
i think there's more chance that he'll get picked up by Van or Mtl than resigning with TFC...

I am not so sure. He had a baby last year, so family issues would take on more importance. Sutz always made that clear. Is he going to want to uproot his family?

Yohan
06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I am not so sure. He had a baby last year, so family issues would take on more importance. Sutz always made that clear. Is he going to want to uproot his family?
i dunno what his financial situations are, but if someone offered him 100k and starting role, you think he wouldn't be tempted?

esp in Mtl where his wife has roots

Cashcleaner
06-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Remember that our full roster is smaller than most other clubs around the world (24-man benches in MLS compared to 25-28 elsewhere) so we're just going to have to make do without a 3rd keeper. With that in mind, if we did retain a 3rd keeper, a person could simply argue what happens if we have a string of injuries with the midfield, forwards, or defence.

TorontoBlades
06-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Sutts will play out the rest of the year somewhere and return to us as a keepers; coach in a couple of years, that's my thinking

That said, imagine he signs with the Impact this week and shuts the fuck out of us next week.

ExiledRed
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Remember that our full roster is smaller than most other clubs around the world (24-man benches in MLS compared to 25-28 elsewhere) so we're just going to have to make do without a 3rd keeper. With that in mind, if we did retain a 3rd keeper, a person could simply argue what happens if we have a string of injuries with the midfield, forwards, or defence.

It's very basic to have three keepers.

There should always be a backup keeper on the bench. Which means you need two backups in case your starter is injured.

Do you forget the goalie injury, callup problems we had in season one?

bangersandmash
06-10-2009, 02:52 PM
There should always be a backup keeper on the bench. Which means you need two backups in case your starter is injured.

But the league has an emergency keeper. If a team keeps three keepers on the payroll, the salary cap still applies so you're covering the "wot if" scenario at expense of your day-to-day bench. You can, however, keep two keepers on the payroll and if they both get injured the league will supply an emergency keeper -- which is what happened last year.

However, if we're ever in a situation where we *need* to convert a field player to a keeper... we can use Wynne. He has plenty of experience putting his hand on the ball in the 18 yard box. yuck yuck yuck.

ExiledRed
06-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Again, the role of keeper is so underrated that we can allow it to come down to the reject pile, and nobody has a problem with this?

We need to hold onto a slight lead to win the last game and squeeze into the playoffs, but we're playing a strong team and they're all over us, suddenly Edward's head hits the upright, and he needs to come off. But that's OK because we can leave it to some random dude who didnt get drafted.

Darlofletch
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Presumably we've got some academy golie we can throw on the bench if Frei or edwards gets injured. Unless there's some wierd MLS rule I'm ignorant of. To tie up cap space and a roster position for a 3rd goalie doesn't make sense, that's how we end up with the situation we had against LA where Johann bloody Smith was the 2nd best option on our bench for an attacking substitute.

Your 3 goalie solution is great if we've got unlimited resources, but we can't waste them on a what if scenario. What if two goalies get injured. should we have 4 just in case that happens?

heather
06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
With the Scooooooooooooop!

p.s. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait no contreversy!? snap =P

Sutton.. pure class.. I'll miss him and wish him the best of luck with his future career :)

p.s. Flush bringing out the "snap".. epic :p

rocker
06-10-2009, 03:41 PM
the thing is, Edwards hasn't been on the subs bench anyways for most games, right?

So ya it's nice to have a third keeper but most of the time it's irrelevant cuz you put 1 keeper as backup on the bench. If you have a third, he's probably not on the gameday roster anyways.

If Frei gets hurt midweek, then Edwards is the starter and you use the MLS pool keeper as the backup. If the MLS pool keeper gets hurt, then you put Dichio in or something :) We've had to usethe backup pool before, and even used a backup pool keeper as #1 (Reynolds) but they knew this before the game and made arrangements. We've never had the #1 keeper get hurt, the #2 keeper get hurt and then had to turn to the #3 in one single game. The chances are low that might ever happen during a game. I've seen Euro teams occasionally have this problem thanks to injuries and red cards to the starter and backup.. then they put in a field player for 20 minutes or whatever. It happens but it's rare.

ExiledRed
06-10-2009, 03:59 PM
the thing is, Edwards hasn't been on the subs bench anyways for most games, right?

That's because Sutton has. When Frei has been injured, Edwards has taken the bench and Sutton has has taken Frei's place. Are you paying attention?

Do we get the reject goalie for CC games and CL games(if we qualify)?

Cashcleaner
06-11-2009, 02:37 AM

Yeah that's true. Thinking about it now, even with the reduced roster allotment we should be able to maintain three keepers with little difficulty.

InTheCrowd
06-11-2009, 07:43 AM
I honestly don't see the point of a third keeper in this league.

rocker
06-11-2009, 08:00 AM
That's because Sutton has. When Frei has been injured, Edwards has taken the bench and Sutton has has taken Frei's place. Are you paying attention?

You need to think more clearly about what I'm saying.
Let me explain this in a simpler way for you.....

We've had only 1 keeper on the bench ANYWAYS for almost every game.
Why do we need a third keeper then?

The third keeper (on the bench with the #2) is only needed for those extremely rare in-game situations when both the starter and the #2 get hurt. That's the ONLY time you need a third keeper suddenly, on the spot.
Look around the league, and very few teams ever ever ever use their second keeper, then alone the third.

If the #1 gets hurt in practice during the week, then you give Edwards the starting job and call up the MLS pool keeper for the game. Then you have 2 MLS keepers for the game, which is all TFC has had anyways in almost every single game. Since TFC almost never puts the #3 on the bench, the MLS pool keeper is all the security you need and creates the same situation that's existed this season (1 keeper on the bench).

Get it?

Given our injury situation (Nana, OB, Brennan) plus International (Wynne, Guevara), having a third keeper is a luxury when MLS will give you an emergency pool keeper as backup. It's much wiser in such a situation to dump the third keeper and bring in a field player. Seattle and LA right now are doing that same thing. After Keller and Ricketts, those teams have only 1 other keeper on the whole roster.

Cashcleaner
06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
^ The Keeper Pool really isn't that great of an idea, though. In fact, it's almost a farce. Would the NFL do the same with placekickers? Would MLB do the same with outfielders? Of course not!

Coaches are always thinking up new tactics and formations and that sort of information should be kept within the team. Now let's say you've got your two keepers out as injuries and you bring in one from the pool. You're basically gonna bring an outsider in and expose him to your drills and strategy.

Mark in Ottawa
06-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks Greg for all of your efforts for us and TFC.

Here is hoping that you land on your feet in a situation where you get to play and again show that you can do the job.

That cause we know you can! Best of luck.