PDA

View Full Version : Dome going up over Lakeshore?

Stryker
06-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Did I miss something? MLSR is reporting this from the Toronto Sun:

A story this week in the Toronto Sun indicated that the Toronto District School Board has announced that an inflatable dome and athletic field is set to go up at Lakeshore Collegiate.
This re-inforces a long-standing rumour that the FieldTurf at BMO will be jettisoned to the Lakeshore location, making way for real grass.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/06/report-further-confirmation-toronto-fc.html

GabrielHurl
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
known about this for months

Chevy
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
What is currently at Lakeshore Collegiate? Is there an existing turf field?

Stryker
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Wasen't Lakeshore the most likely spot to relocate public use from BMO?

GabrielHurl
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=473154&highlight=lakeshore#post473154

Parkdale
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I feel bad for lakeshore. the turf is worn out. when it's ripped out of BMO, it should be junked.

Stryker
06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=473154&highlight=lakeshore#post473154

Thank you for the link but at the time of that thread it was merely an idea.
Now its official and going up for certain, thus greater reason for a new discussion.

Stryker
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Press Conference tomorrow + domed field approved for Lakeshore this week = ???
Could it be?

GabrielHurl
06-09-2009, 02:46 PM
not with the new players announcement

Pachuco
06-09-2009, 03:12 PM
This definately deserves it's own thread. Very interesting...

RedMAN127
06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
This definately deserves it's own thread. Very interesting...

how long would real turf take to install ... are they maybe thinking about getting it for RM to forgoe the cost of temporary field?

T_Mizz
06-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow if this happens then the FO must really actually give more of a f*ck then most of us thought

T0R0NT0 FC
06-09-2009, 09:37 PM
It makes sense, it makes WAY too much sense.... and there lies the problem.

If this did happen quick like it "could" happen, it would be like a lunar eclipse occuring during a "blue moon".

Primavera
06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
TDSB not= City of Toronto. The significant issue of community use will still need to be overcome.

I wouldn't get hopes up on this.

bee dubya
06-09-2009, 10:10 PM
This is very interesting indeed. Anyone know how long it would take for a grass pitch to be properly installed (to ensure proper drainage, underground heating, etc) and give it time to grow before we could begin playing on it? Would a month be long enough? Maybe between our July 18 game and the Real Madrid friendly? Seems like a steep timeline for something of this magnitude. I wouldn't want them to rush it and fuck it up. We've waited this long, I'd rather see it installed properly.

phonzo
06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
being the giant ass pessimist i am...

i wouldn't get my hopes up

BuSaPuNk
06-09-2009, 11:06 PM
TDSB not= City of Toronto. The significant issue of community use will still need to be overcome.

Still TDSB are shareholders in MLSE. Wouldn't surprise me if they made some sort of deal to get this done. Remember MLSE are cheap pricks and want to keep all there money for themselves. They need to bring the grass for the RM friendly. The cost of bringing in grass and ditching it a few days later was 25-40% downpayment on permanant grass. They need to spend the money anyways so it would just make too much sense that they would try and get the grass issue done with now.

Now someone is going to say what about the City?? okay I know the city still has last say on what happens with grass due to the public use of BMO. Turf installed at Lakeshore Collegaite by TDSB and MLSE forks over some $$$ to the city and we have a deal!

menefreghista
06-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Still TDSB are shareholders in MLSE.

TDSB ARE NOT shareholders in MLSE. Their main employees are though....

BuSaPuNk
06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Well there pension fund is part owners.....and you work for TDSB your getting that pension. Nuf said.

menefreghista
06-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Well there pension fund is part owners.....and you work for TDSB your getting that pension. Nuf said.

Sorry, that makes no sense.

There is no connection between the people who run TDSB or the people who run MLSE/TFC.

AL-MO
06-09-2009, 11:23 PM

School boards and Municipalities often work together though.

AL-MO
06-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Still TDSB are shareholders in MLSE. Wouldn't surprise me if they made some sort of deal to get this done. Remember MLSE are cheap pricks and want to keep all there money for themselves. They need to bring the grass for the RM friendly. The cost of bringing in grass and ditching it a few days later was 25-40% downpayment on permanant grass. They need to spend the money anyways so it would just make too much sense that they would try and get the grass issue done with now.

Now someone is going to say what about the City?? okay I know the city still has last say on what happens with grass due to the public use of BMO. Turf installed at Lakeshore Collegaite by TDSB and MLSE forks over some $$$ to the city and we have a deal!

TDSB ARE NOT shareholders in MLSE. Their main employees are though....

The Teachers Pension Plan are part owners of MLSE.....NOT the Toronto District School Board....

(as menefreghista said)

BuSaPuNk
06-09-2009, 11:36 PM
The Teachers Pension Plan are part owners of MLSE.....NOT the Toronto District School Board....

(as menefreghista said)

I hear you guys.....still trying to connect the two......just looking for that all important clearing of the clouds where everything starts going our way.....god knows we need it...:hump:

AL-MO
06-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I hear you guys.....still trying to connect the two......just looking for that all important clearing of the clouds where everything starts going our way.....god knows we need it...:hump:

There isn't alot of connect B. If there is any connection its between the TDSB and the City.

BuSaPuNk
06-09-2009, 11:44 PM
^ Yeah I hear ya......grasping at straws and getting nothing....damn!!!

RedMAN127
06-10-2009, 08:33 AM
TDSB has been struggling with funding shortfalls, so ML$E would make a good partner for a field like this ... if they announce real grass two days after a CB and Striker, all of which must have been in the works for some time, should be a lot of people eating crow thursday night.

GabrielHurl
06-10-2009, 08:42 AM
hah - this thing is a long way from happening - and it definitely won't be in 2 days

C.Ronaldo
06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
this cant be it.

its still not a facility that can be run by the city nor does any money go to the city

denime
06-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I have a feeling many of you missed last week article in the SUN:

"If MLSEL wishes to convert the field to grass it needs to get the permission of the owner ... the City of Toronto and the board of Exhibition Place," Joe Pantalone, the deputy mayor and chairman of the Exhibition Place board, said.

"We are not averse to grass. We actually think there is a lot of merit to it. But for that to happen, MLSEL must satisfy a lot of conditions."

BMO Field's artificial surface allows the stadium to be used year-round.

The key issue is: If BMO Field becomes a facility that isn't available to the public whenever TFC or the national soccer program isn't using it, a replacement field must be erected downtown. Not in Etobicoke. Not in Scarborough. Not in North York.
The cost of creating a new facility that is available to the public year-round would fall entirely to MLSEL, the owner of TFC.

Pantalone said there have been discussions between the city and MLSEL about converting Lamport Stadium, located near the corner of King and Dufferin, to a year-round soccer facility.

Link:
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/03/9657326-sun.html

T_Mizz
06-10-2009, 09:05 AM
^Oh well that's a good idea for Lamport isn't it? i mean it already has turf right we just need to move the bubble, I hope they get it done.

rocker
06-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Lamport seems like an even better location for the winter community service, since it's much closer to the general population than BMO is. I doubt they'll find a place nearby BMO (as pantalone seems to want) where they can exactly duplicate BMO's community use (a completely new site for full year community use).. but maybe making Lamport a winter facility would take some of the complaints away, while the spring summer community use requirement would shift to Etobicoke.