PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Jun.09

denime
06-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Mornin'

Mo fuss at TFC's motives
Despite growing discontent among rabid support groups, soccer suits endorse GM Johnston
LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca)
The once-happy marriage between Toronto FC management and thousands of its fans is being strained to the point of a possible divorce.
But the target of much of the ire, general manager Mo Johnston, received a vote of confidence from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., yesterday.

On Saturday, most of the 500-strong Red Patch Boys didn't wear team colours, were noticably absent from their loud south stands perch at the start of the game, displayed a huge banner mocking MLSEL's losing sports properties and staged a Gate 3 protest after the 2-1 defeat to Los Angeles. READ MORE (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/09/9732476-sun.html)

Teamwork's not working for Toronto FC (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/06/teamworks_not_working_for_toro.html)
Nigel Reed
OK, cards on the table. I don’t trust Toronto FC at the back; I don’t expect much up front. But let’s return to that point in a minute.
Immediately following Saturday’s 2-1 loss (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/06/06/sp-tfc-lgalaxy.html) against the Galaxy, I sped up to Woodbridge, Ont., to attend the 2009 Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
Among those honoured was the Canadian team which made it to the World Cup Finals in 1986.

Read More (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/06/teamworks_not_working_for_toro.html)

Defence takes another hit
Wynne named to U.S. Confederations Cup side while Attakora, Brennan remain on injured list
Daniel Girard
Toronto FC's beleaguered defensive corps just got more bad news.
With the right ankle of left back and team captain Jim Brennan still swollen and fellow defender Nana Attakora continuing to suffer from post-concussion symptoms, the Major League Soccer club announced yesterday that Marvell Wynne has been named to the U.S. national team playing in the Confederations Cup next week.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/647596)

De Rosario picking club over country
RYAN JOHNSTON
If stepping away from international soccer helps Toronto FC achieve its goal of making the playoffs, Dwayne De Rosario is prepared to make the sacrifice.
"I told (Canada coach) Stephen Hart I was 60/40 on it," De Rosario told Sportsnet.ca. "In the end it is always tough because you do not want to leave your position with the team, but right now my commitment is with Toronto FC."

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/06/08/derosario_gold_cup_tfc/)

Real price gouge awaits the faithful
LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca)
The Real Madrid game is local, but the prices will seem loco to some for the much debated friendly against Toronto FC.
The range is from $140 to $215 plus other fees, though subscribers and those on the waiting list get a "loyalty discount" starting at $125.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/09/9732471-sun.html)

Top seat $215 to see Real Madrid
Daniel Girard
Toronto soccer fans will have to pay up to $215 a seat to see European titan Real Madrid this summer.
Toronto FC yesterday announced prices from $140 to $215 – compared to a range of $23 to $180 for regular Major League Soccer games – for its international friendly against the 31-time Spanish champions on Aug. 7 at BMO Field.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/647597)

Hefty price tag for Toronto FC-Real Madrid tickets
The Canadian Press
A seat at BMO Field to see storied soccer franchise Real Madrid won't come cheap.
Toronto FC announced its ticket prices Monday for the team's friendly Aug. 9 against the Spanish powerhouse, with prices ranging from $140 to $215.
Toronto FC season seat holders have the opportunity to buy tickets as of June 15 at a slight discount, starting at $125.

Read More (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/06/09/sp-tfc-madrid-tickets.html)

Reds Academy Team gets late winner
Stamopoulos scores in stoppage time
mls/tfc.com
James Stamopoulos scored a stoppage time winner as Toronto FC Academy Senior Team fought back from behind to beat North York Astros 2-1 and stay unbeaten in the Canadian Soccer League this season.
The Reds youngsters fell behind in the 14th minute at Esther Shiner Stadium. After North York were awarded free kick, the ball dropped favourably to centre midfielder Diego Benzi. He showed good composure to fire into the bottom corner past a helpless Soitiri Varlokostas in goal.

Read More (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090608&content_id=5206992&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Carter
06-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Mornin' D.

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Mornin' D.

This is getting a bad as "first!" :rolleyes:

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 06:18 AM
This is classic - "Hi, I'm Tom, I'm really out of touch."

"We're paying higher than $1 million for FIFA's team of the century and I think it's exciting for our fans. It's like seeing the Rolling Stones at the El Mocambo again. It's a big-time event and there's a price that you'd pay, just like to see Madonna."

Fort York Redcoat
06-09-2009, 06:23 AM

"We're paying higher than $1 million for FIFA's team of the century and I think it's exciting for our fans. It's like seeing the Rolling Stones at the El Mocambo again. It's a big-time event and there's a price that you'd pay, just like to see Madonna."

What's out of touch about the statement?

He's obviously making comparisons for those who are not ingrained in football. That is one of the major targets for a game like this-people that don't know any better. No?

Carter
06-09-2009, 06:28 AM

:rolleyes: I can switch it to Mornin Boys, then someone might get offended to the fact not everyone are "boys" I don't know.. I guess ill just be Mornin Denime....

;):rolleyes:

keem-o-sabi
06-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Today's coed girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/)....oh yummy

Carter
06-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Today's coed girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/)....oh yummy

:jaw:
:drool5:

denime
06-09-2009, 06:49 AM

Good afternoon MR.Kingpin

This just shows how much they are out of touch and clueless when it comes about soccer and their loyal fans.
If they would pull something like this in any other country, FO head honchos would be physically abused on the street from loyal fans,but since we live in Canada and their job are secure,ML$E Exec. can do whatever they want and still have their jobs.Their success is not measured by the results on the filed/ice/court,it's measured by how much $$$$$ they made for Teachers pension plan.

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Good afternoon MR.Kingpin

This just shows how much they are out of touch and clueless when it comes about soccer and their loyal fans.
If they would pull something like this in any other country, FO head honchos would be physically abused on the street from loyal fans,but since we live in Canada and their job are secure,ML$E Exec. can do whatever they want and still have their jobs.Their success is not measured by the results on the filed/ice/court,it's measured by how much $$$$$ they made for Teachers pension plan.

Well that's the thing - it's not just the facts you stated above. But I found it mildly comical that he chose those particular references. He's an old git that knows quite a bit about business, but not very much about sport. And that holds true for the majority of people running MLSE. Tom "I hear the kids really like Madonna and Raul", orifice licking punter (insert name here) "Ya sir, you're right that's what the kids like these days". Great! Ummm, What's your name again? (Insert name here), Let's get that team that sounds like Real Salt Lake here, the kids will eat it up!" "And make sure you stick to the corporate policy, screw the fans and stab them in the heart, you know this is the only way I can sleep at night." End scene.

CoachGT
06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Just out of curiousity, am I missing something? I got an email last night from TFC telling me that the RM tickets go on sale on Wednesday, but all of these articles say SSHs get to buy them on Monday. Not that it matters a lot, but the press seems to have a different story.

Waggy
06-09-2009, 07:12 AM
:jaw:
:drool5:

And shes a gymnast!!!

oh ya, soccer, um... thanks for noticing the protest 3 days later. Bang up job guys

scooter
06-09-2009, 07:29 AM
mornin d

second

flatpicker
06-09-2009, 07:32 AM

indeed...
but even more impressive is the link to Monica Bellucci on that same page.
Now that is incredible!

tfc
06-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Well that's the thing - it's not just the facts you stated above. But I found it mildly comical that he chose those particular references. He's an old git that knows quite a bit about business, but not very much about sport. And that holds true for the majority of people running MLSE. Tom "I hear the kids really like Madonna and Raul", orifice licking punter (insert name here) "Ya sir, you're right that's what the kids like these days". Great! Ummm, What's your name again? (Insert name here), Let's get that team that sounds like Real Salt Lake here, the kids will eat it up!" "And make sure you stick to the corporate policy, screw the fans and stab them in the heart, you know this is the only way I can sleep at night." End scene.

I love how everyone is shitting themselves about how evil mlse is for 'gouging fans' without even attempting to find out whether mlse even makes money on this. duane rollins' article last week makes it pretty clear nobody is getting gouged, and that the ticket costs are the lowest they could charge without LOSING money. i understand it is too expensive for some people, but maybe this is a lesson that next time they should bring nottingham forest instead to accommodate those unwilling to pay more than the $25 for the south end.

im not meaning to start an argument, but ive been away from the boards for a while and still don't understand why everyone is so upset. to me, this is almost more of a league issue than a price issue since people are also freaking out about the timing of it. if the league could figure out how to accommodate friendlies in the middle of the season without impacting league play (as well as fixing the schedule for international fixtures) we might not have this problem ...

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
This line is FANTASTIC! "The smaller NEE club, joined the RPB in hiding their red gear and walked out en masse after the national anthems. A mix of U Sector also participated in both actions."

Oh the irony...

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 07:41 AM
I love how everyone is shitting themselves about how evil mlse is for 'gouging fans' without even attempting to find out whether mlse even makes money on this. duane rollins' article last week makes it pretty clear nobody is getting gouged, and that the ticket costs are the lowest they could charge without LOSING money. i understand it is too expensive for some people, but maybe this is a lesson that next time they should bring nottingham forest instead to accommodate those unwilling to pay more than the $25 for the south end.

im not meaning to start an argument, but ive been away from the boards for a while and still don't understand why everyone is so upset. to me, this is almost more of a league issue than a price issue since people are also freaking out about the timing of it. if the league could figure out how to accommodate friendlies in the middle of the season without impacting league play (as well as fixing the schedule for international fixtures) we might not have this problem ...

Read the bold. Then do some fact checking. Then respond. ;)

Stouffville_RPB
06-09-2009, 07:42 AM

Oh WOW!

MartinUtd
06-09-2009, 07:43 AM
It's not about the money, it's about the messed up set of priorities

denime
06-09-2009, 07:49 AM

Reading your post it is obvious you have bin away for a while.
here is suggestion.
Right now with your post it is "open season" and you are the target to so many Supporters from this board.

Read trough this threads first and than come back here and post your opinion.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14089

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14271

And now you better :hide: for a while ;)

ACSertL
06-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I'd see Forest for 25 bucks.

Technorgasm
06-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Real Madrid co ing to town is a hge grain deal

And to see them in an intimate lip aluminum can like jmo
Is something many people uav dreamed about for years.
Let alone Spanish expats.

We get bass at bmo for a while too.

There are positives to this. That's all I'm sayin
If it was Liverpool. My team. I wouldn't cqre about schedule
Or price. Try to see it from a real fan viewpoint.

Honestly
I don't know WHAT happened to the expectations around here
But a lot of people need to get their heads out of their arse
And out of the clouds and learn to enjoy your local club

it's been 3 short years of nationaly broadcast footy
From a SSS in Toronto. I for one still remember a time when that was not the case

WALK ON

Nomad
06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Fuck "real" fans of Real Madrid.

This is home to Toronto FC and the priorities should begin and end there.

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Real Madrid coming to town is a huge deal.

And to see them in an intimate little aluminum can like BMO
is something many people have dreamed about for years.

We get grass at bmo for that day too.

There are positives to this. That's all I'm saying is that if it was Liverpool. My team. I wouldn't care about schedule or price. Try to see it from a 'real' fan viewpoint.

Honestly

and out of the clouds and learn to enjoy your local club

It's been 3 short years of nationaly broadcast footy
From a SSS in Toronto. I for one still remember a time
when that was not the case.

WALK ON

Fine sir, I'm not sure where to start here. First, for my own understanding I have corrected a few items to ensure I'm reading you correctly. Please let me now if I am.

Second, there are many that still value their foreign clubs over TFC, and they are the individuals who will most likely have your viewpoint. It's easy to say that you'd pay to watch Liverpool play over TFC, because you are a Liverpool supporter first. Your concerns about TFC are secondary.

If Toronto FC wanted to please the 'expats' from Spain, and any encompassing local fanboy, they certainly could have done that. They could have had Real Madrid play Athletico Madrid at SkyDome (I refuse to call it by the new name). Then Toronto FC would/could continue focusing on playoff entry and success.

Another point missed is the fact that fans have a history with MLSE, this provides perspective. With this in mind, I think it's important that voices of dissension are heard before things go too far. So there we go... :scarf:

denime
06-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Honestly

From a SSS in Toronto. I for one still remember a time when that was not the case

WALK ON

For you TFC is definitely secondary club to cheer for, so no wonder you don't give a F*ck about rescheduling MLS game for useless friendly.

I'm not sure who has to pull his head out of his ass to be quite honest with you.
We are supporting local team,and for us TFC is OUR TEAM,how about you?

rocker
06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
For you TFC is definitely secondary club to cheer for, so no wonder you don't give a F*ck about rescheduling MLS game for useless friendly.

TFC is my #1 team (I'm not a Euro snob.. grew up in Mississauga) and I don't mind that TFC rescheduled the MLS game. It does not inconvenience me at all. And I don't care about friendlies either.

Actually this is the best time to play New York, as they are venturing out on a crappy long road trip and they are at their lowest point.

Roogsy
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM

:lol:

I agree Pat. I read that and immediately thought "What a ridiculous statement."

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
TFC is my #1 team (I'm not a Euro snob.. grew up in Mississauga) and I don't mind that TFC rescheduled the MLS game. It does not inconvenience me at all. And I don't care about friendlies either.

Well then the problem is solved. Now, people can worry about those who are inconvenienced.

DOMIN8R
06-09-2009, 09:02 AM
in Lance Hornby's piece Mo fuss at TFC's motives

Johnston has come under attack for not delivering some help in the backfield -- now underlined by injuries to Brennan and Marvell Wynne's just announced extended absence with the U.S. national team -- and for Chad Barrett's poor showing at striker. Johnston declined comment, promising to address all issues tomorrow.

Parkdale
06-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Lance Hornby seem to be trying to make a name for himself with this one.
He's certainly taking running with a theme, one that many papers have ignored.

Pigfynn
06-09-2009, 09:09 AM
The media helping, although maybe even inadvertantley..hmmmmm who would have thunk it?

Parkdale
06-09-2009, 09:14 AM

I'm not sure who has to pull his head out of his ass to be quite honest with you.
We are supporting local team,and for us TFC is OUR TEAM,how about you?

I'm going to have to disagree here.

yes, TFC is our home team, but some people have been supporting other
teams for 10, 20, 50+ years, and they can't just turn that off.

and yes, we all know that the scheduling of this particular friendly
is going to cause grief for TFC's MLS season, but the opportunity
to see your "Original (aka, the club from 4 years ago)" team play
at BMO, the home of your new club.... that would be amazing!

I get it messes with the schedule, but I'm trying to see the other side.

C.Ronaldo
06-09-2009, 09:15 AM
it might not invonvenience you rocker.
but it is very unprofessional and inconviences many others, who plan vacations around games, book road trips to see games, etc...

please tell me the last time the leafs rescheduled sat night hockey for a game of road hockey.

Pigfynn
06-09-2009, 09:18 AM
^^Excactly.

People who move their lives around in order to attend every game show this team LOYALTY. They repay the favour by saying "Ya we're really sorry"

Awesome

Nomad
06-09-2009, 09:21 AM

I do not see a point here other than selfishness. Honestly, i don't.

TFC should take priority in it's home, above whatever "team i've been supporting for years" who comes around.

andyc
06-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Now we need to get him to start talking about why the Edu money isn't spent yet and how to keep the focus on getting grass for 2010 season....

Parkdale
06-09-2009, 09:29 AM
I do not see a point here other than selfishness. Honestly, i don't.

TFC should take priority in it's home, above whatever "team i've been supporting for years" who comes around.

yeah, and like I said, I'm just trying to see the other side of the coin.

TorCanSoc
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I hate this mantra by Anselmi.

"There is going to be a full change to grass at BMO one day, that will cost a lot and we're prepared to write that cheque ourselves. But some don't realize we have a lot of work to do with our partners (the city and the Exhibition Place board) to provide that surface we'd agreed to for multi-use."

The city owns the stadium, doesn't Miller want grass? The Exhibition Place board? Who are they, the operations arm of the field? WTF would they care, after its all transitioned, other than hiring a grounds keeper?

Anselmi give us names of those holding it up. Give us their concerns of why its being held up. Yeah yeah yeah alternate available facility we get that. Start getting specific man. At the end of this season, things need to get concrete about the direction of this.

SSG has "GIMME FUEL" tatoo'd on her stomach? Either she's really into food, or she's biggest slut since....since... something really slutty! These are the true mysteries for us to follow up on.

trane
06-09-2009, 09:54 AM

I understand the view point, but there is a difference, for my original club, it would be an off season training session. For TFC my local club, the only club I can trully support in an active meanigfull way, is in the midle of the season, I would not wish to sacrifice my local club for a meanigless training session for my original club.

tfc
06-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I hate this mantra by Anselmi.

"There is going to be a full change to grass at BMO one day, that will cost a lot and we're prepared to write that cheque ourselves. But some don't realize we have a lot of work to do with our partners (the city and the Exhibition Place board) to provide that surface we'd agreed to for multi-use."

The city owns the stadium, doesn't Miller want grass? The Exhibition Place board? Who are they, the operations arm of the field? WTF would they care, after its all transitioned, other than hiring a grounds keeper?

Anselmi give us names of those holding it up. Give us their concerns of why its being held up. Yeah yeah yeah alternate available facility we get that. Start getting specific man. At the end of this season, things need to get concrete about the direction of this.

SSG has "GIMME FUEL" tatoo'd on her stomach? Either she's really into food, or she's biggest slut since....since... something really slutty! These are the true mysteries for us to follow up on.

the exhibition place board is the board that governs exhibition place. which consists of everything that goes on there, including bmo field, circus, fairs, boat shows, car shows, indy, that sketchy looking casino, etc

so mlse has to go through:
1. the exhibition place board, which may not want to add another facility right next door to bmo adding another layer of complication as they then have to find another place to put it, the hiring of exhibition place staff to be full time groundskeepers, dealing with the added expenses to their budget
2. through the city to approve of exhibition place's budget for these new employees, new facility in exhibition place, or to approve of mlse adding a new facility in TO somewhere, to allow mlse to get out of their agreement when bmo was initially agreed to be funded by the city
3. through mlse to pay for new grass, etc

im sure there are some barriers missing, some wrong, whatever - just goes to show its not as easy as some people on here believe. this isn't a 'mlse just needs to pay for it' situation

TOBOR !
06-09-2009, 10:12 AM
a bit like watching the Stones at the ElMo ?

Yes, if you paid over $100 for your ticket (back in the '70's) because they had to import their own special stage, and even then you weren't guaranteed that the band members would be playing the whole show instead of some roadies, it will be just like that.

Good one, Tom.

Maple Leaf Red
06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Hornby did some great reporting on the Leafs before he had to switch beats. He's one of the best sports reporters in the city.

Redcoe15
06-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Especially when you see her like this! (http://www.gorillamask.net/gm_media.php?show_page=gallery&show_fullsize=12703&page_id=24034) Or this! (http://www.gorillamask.net/gm_media.php?show_page=gallery&show_fullsize=12714&page_id=24034)

:yum: :drool5: :D

Darlofletch
06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
The comment under Lance Hornby's article is very amusing.

"Just wondering how long the leaders of the supporter groups have followed any level of this sport? I believe the fquote from the red patch boys president was he couldn"t get leaf season tickets, so he bought these instead. Thats a true fan!
If you can sign only one of the greatest, and widely recognized teams in the world, wouldn't you so that? For your fans? You pay for what you get! We are MLS, so we pay those prices for that league, but you bring in the elite, you pay the price. Stop crying, it is your right to turn the tickets down, and someone else will buy them.

Your well planned walkout was brilliant- pay for your tickets and don't show up! Smart! Go to the game and let them hear your unhappiness! Its your right!"
Walter Capasso, June 9th 2009, 10:44am

Toronto_Bhoy
06-09-2009, 10:49 AM
MLSE are attempting to jam their traditional "sports business model" into a non traditional sports market. I get the whole, "to bring them in and pay for it with have these expenses that need to be paid for" philosophy. But your just pissing off your "loyal" customers by doing this.

In the end its a poor business decision to bring Real and lay the cost on the back of the support. Using words like "loyalty pricing" and comparing this to a one off concert are so far off with their market/customers I can't believe someone in that organization didn't say…"Hang on a sec".

Tom, think about it. My family are "loyal" supporters of your mediocre product and on what should one of the Club’s greatest days, you “reward my loyalty" by asking me for an additional $700 to be part of it?

Do you think its "unloyal" to say…No?

gtaguy
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and COO of MLSEL, said "the passion of our fans is clearly noted," but backed Johnston

"People should just relax a bit and put things into context. We're 13 games in and not far from first place. Mo is doing what a good GM should; build assets with up and coming quality kids. He certainly has the ability to look at a DP, but you need the right guy at the right time. (The wrong one) ties up cap space and there is statistical evidence that those players haven't had a huge impact on a team."
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/09/9732476-sun.html

this last statement from the anselmi has me irked.. Actually it has me super pissed.

Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and COO of MLSEL, said "the passion of our fans is clearly noted," but backed Johnston

he says "clearly noted"..
To me that is a sign of getting the message but not giving a shit about it. He has the final say and that is that..

"put things into Context"
How about Anselmi puts it into context....
We know that our team is not cutting it.
That you put a subpar product on the field and try to pass it off to true fans as the top flight soccer.
that you can bend backwards to appease a spanish club but our own boys are ball scum...

"build assets with up and coming quality kids"
heres another doozie.. so what hes saying is MO keeps searching for young talent so we can sell them when they become of value and we can keep the mediocre players all to ourselves ??.
heres a quick definition of asset in wikipedia
Simplistically stated, assets are things of value that can be readily converted into cash.

What about our current need for a cb and a striker.. or do we have to wait for those young and up and coming to get to the big leagues. Oh sorry forgot they probably be sold before then.

"He certainly has the ability to look at a DP, but you need the right guy at the right time."

When is this time when the season is over?. When we get grass?. When a pig learns to play the flute ? . When ML$E sells toronto FC to a real passionte owner

"(The wrong one) ties up cap space and there is statistical evidence that those players haven't had a huge impact on a team"

Really so vitti and Barrett are not designated players and i believe they take up cap space and have had NO impact on our team this year...

Beach_Red
06-09-2009, 11:13 AM
"(The wrong one) ties up cap space and there is statistical evidence that those players haven't had a huge impact on a team"

This sure sounds like MLSE has vetoed a few....

Primavera
06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
"Top officials from the Red Patch Boys, North End Elite and U Sector maintain they're still behind the players -- prompting them to call a Friday meeting with coach Chris Cummins and team captain Jim Brennan to tip them about Saturday's protest and assure them the action was levelled at management. In attendance on Friday was director of business operations Paul Beirne, who'd helped foster the strong ties with an estimated 16,000 season-ticket holders since 2007, but listened to the three groups' complaints. "

Is there a thread reporting what happened at that meeting? Sounds interesting. (Sorry if missed it.)

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
"Top officials from the Red Patch Boys, North End Elite and U Sector maintain they're still behind the players -- prompting them to call a Friday meeting with coach Chris Cummins and team captain Jim Brennan to tip them about Saturday's protest and assure them the action was levelled at management. In attendance on Friday was director of business operations Paul Beirne, who'd helped foster the strong ties with an estimated 16,000 season-ticket holders since 2007, but listened to the three groups' complaints. "

Is there a thread reporting what happened at that meeting? Sounds interesting. (Sorry if missed it.)

It'll cost you $20.00... ;)

Sonny Cheeba
06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
wasn't tom made an honourary RPB last year by CoachGT?

can that be revoked after his bitch comments?

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 11:41 AM

If he was - what an exceptional embarrassment for The Red Patch Boys. Some decisions baffle me - if he wasn't - Well then good-on-ya.

jabbronies
06-09-2009, 11:43 AM
It'll cost you $20.00... ;)

Kingpin translator:

If you an RPB member, you'll be able to view the meeting notes in full.

Tezza
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
it's pretty simple for me....Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool, Man U...whatever....the fact is...if you have the money to spend to bring them over....as a fan I'd prefer you spent that money on the team or towards getting grass at BMO.

Oldtimer
06-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Props to DeRo for prioritizing the club. A decision like that is a hard one to make, especially for someone who loves Canada as much as he does.

Roogsy
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM

Actually it was Tanenbaum.

Roogsy
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
If he was - what an exceptional embarrassment for The Red Patch Boys. Some decisions baffle me - if he wasn't - Well then good-on-ya.

nice hedging

Sonny Cheeba
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Actually it was Tanenbaum.

oh right.... thanks. that's why it was a question. distant memory.

Chewy Unikronik
06-09-2009, 12:11 PM
indeed...
but even more impressive is the link to Monica Bellucci on that same page.
Now that is incredible!
Mommy! :hump:

Parkdale
06-09-2009, 12:48 PM
nice hedging

haha. good call.

S_D
06-09-2009, 12:59 PM

"People should just relax a bit and put things into context. We're 13 games in and not far from first place. Mo is doing what a good GM should; build assets with up and coming quality kids. He certainly has the ability to look at a DP, but you need the right guy at the right time. (The wrong one) ties up cap space and there is statistical evidence that those players haven't had a huge impact on a team."
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/09/9732476-sun.html

this last statement from the anselmi has me irked.. Actually it has me super pissed.

he says "clearly noted"..
To me that is a sign of getting the message but not giving a shit about it. He has the final say and that is that..

"put things into Context"
How about Anselmi puts it into context....
We know that our team is not cutting it.
That you put a subpar product on the field and try to pass it off to true fans as the top flight soccer.
that you can bend backwards to appease a spanish club but our own boys are ball scum...

"build assets with up and coming quality kids"
heres another doozie.. so what hes saying is MO keeps searching for young talent so we can sell them when they become of value and we can keep the mediocre players all to ourselves ??.
heres a quick definition of asset in wikipedia
Simplistically stated, assets are things of value that can be readily converted into cash.

What about our current need for a cb and a striker.. or do we have to wait for those young and up and coming to get to the big leagues. Oh sorry forgot they probably be sold before then.

"He certainly has the ability to look at a DP, but you need the right guy at the right time."

When is this time when the season is over?. When we get grass?. When a pig learns to play the flute ? . When ML$E sells toronto FC to a real passionte owner

Really so vitti and Barrett are not designated players and i believe they take up cap space and have had NO impact on our team this year...

Anselmi aka the Petty mini-me has shown his ignorance yet again. By reading his quotes, he is good at counting money and should stick to it. Or better yet go look after the Marlies or find some condos to build. This just reeks of interference by non sports people yet again. Look what it did to the leafs.

TFC needs a prez who just answers to the board. Someone who actually knows about soccer and it's fans so that Anselmi can go back to his office, keep his mouth shut and count his money.

Super
06-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Tom Anselmi: "(The wrong one) ties up cap space and there is statistical evidence that those players haven't had a huge impact on a team"

What a fucking dope. That is an absolute big fat LIE. I can't believe this guy is running a football club. Let's look at the league TODAY and basically every single DP in this league is making a HUGE impact on their team. There are more DP's doing well than there are underperforming right now. Ljungberg is killing defences, Schelotto is a playmaker like few others, Angel is scoring goals like few others ... and do I really need to mention Blanco? Landon Donovan and Brian McBride are tied for 3rd as topscorers. Etc.

You're a dope, Anselmi. You don't understand the fans, the league, or even the players that play in this league. You're part of the reason why we're furious at this club. You and your broken promises - grass and DP. Now it's clear that you don't even know what you're talking about. Resign and spare us from you.

Grrrr... I'm so MAD by that statement. What a rookie to the sport!

rocker
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Tom Anselmi: "(The wrong one) ties up cap space and there is statistical evidence that those players haven't had a huge impact on a team"

What a fucking dope. That is an absolute big fat LIE. I can't believe this guy is running a football club. Let's look at the league TODAY and basically every single DP in this league is making a HUGE impact on their team. There are more DP's doing well than there are underperforming right now. Ljungberg is killing defences, Schelotto is a playmaker like few others, Angel is scoring goals like few others ... and do I really need to mention Blanco? Landon Donovan and Brian McBride are tied for 3rd as topscorers. Etc.

ummm... you're cherry picking your examples, my friend. To be fair you should go back and look at all the DPs teams have had.

Beckham didn't have an impact. the Argentine in DC didn't. Lopez didn't.

Landon Donovan is also not a DP (he was grandfathered in). McBride is not a DP.

Angel's team is in LAST PLACE and hasn't scored on the road. That's more Limp Act than Impact.

Schelotto's team has the same points as us, but we don't have DP. Ljundberg's team is 1 point better than us, and we don't have a DP.

Anselmi ain't lying my friend. You need to look at the question in more detail.

Super
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
ummm... you're cherry picking your examples, my friend. To be fair you should go back and look at all the DPs teams have had.

Angel's team is in LAST PLACE and hasn't scored on the road. That's more Limp Act than Impact.

Beckham, WHEN he played did indeed have a great impact on the team. Donovan draws a DP salary - so that's why I included him in the mix in the sense that you have to pay more for quality. NYRB is indeed a shit team, but even so Angel has scored 4 goals - the same amount as Dichio, Barrett and Vitti combined. And I bet you he has had fewer chances to work with as well. And how many goals did he score last year?

But yes, McBride is not a DP striker - but close. Also, I understand that SOME players are not great investments, but overall DP's DO have a great impact on their teams. And that's the point I was trying to make. Anselmi claims otherwise - and that's false.

C.Ronaldo
06-09-2009, 01:46 PM
tell me how Blanco makes the team worse even at his current age

or how Angel makes the shit bulls shittier

This DP doesnt work crap is CRAP, the only time it doesnt work is when you blow money on someone that sucks

tfc
06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Beckham, WHEN he played did indeed have a great impact on the team. Donovan draws a DP salary - so that's why I included him in the mix in the sense that you have to pay more for quality. NYRB is indeed a shit team, but even so Angel has scored 4 goals - the same amount as Dichio, Barrett and Vitti combined. And I bet you he has had fewer chances to work with as well. And how many goals did he score last year?

But yes, McBride is not a DP striker - but close. Also, I understand that SOME players are not great investments, but overall DP's DO have a great impact on their teams. And that's the point I was trying to make. Anselmi claims otherwise - and that's false.

ok then, using your definition dero is our DP. you just ruined your own argument.
- makes a big impact
- cost more than 400K
- has scored 4 goals, 1 assist

anselmi is making the same point people on this board were pushing up until the vancouver game when logic clearly went out the window here

GabrielHurl
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
ok then, using your definition dero is our DP. you just ruined your own argument.
- makes a big impact
- cost more than 400K

anselmi is making the same point people on this board were pushing up until the vancouver game when logic clearly went out the window here

http://tfcnews.ca/2009/03/07/2009-mls-salaries-released/

DeRo makes $357,000

tfc
06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
http://tfcnews.ca/2009/03/07/2009-mls-salaries-released/

DeRo makes $357,000

i was under the impression that it was more like 600K, but 200K was allocation to bring it under the 400 limit?

The Kingpin
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
@Paulbeirne - No problem. Some of us remember what it was like to support the domestic game before MLSE. I'd still like another CB though ;)

Is this news?

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 02:48 PM

Honestly

WALK ON

Sorry Tech, your friendship is important to me, but I can't agree with this.

I couldn't afford tickets even if it were Liverpool, things are so tight right now, and that would make me fuming mad, given that I've already been spending a lot on TFC and my family has to struggle just a bit more because of that.

Also, you must know how Liverpool fans would respond to this ownership and it's decisions. Maybe you should check out how those two clown's running the club are currently being treated.

Super
06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
- makes a big impact
- cost more than 400K

He's not a DP - and makes less than 400k. We still have our DP spot available to us. Why not use it when we have such trouble scoring? Would it really be such a MAJOR risk to bring in a big name striker - the worst that can happen is that he will be a disappointment (just like Barrett and Vitti - who combined make more than a DP). However, if the DP is even a mild success we'll have a striker who can convert on some of our many, many chances. That's key here - we produce TONS of chances. It's glaringly obvious that a quality DP striker would be quite successful here. OR maybe not - but why not take the chance? You have to try something different when things aren't working.

tfc
06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
He's not a DP - and makes less than 400k. We still have our DP spot available to us. Why not use it when we have such trouble scoring? Would it really be such a MAJOR risk to bring in a big name striker - the worst that can happen is that he will be a disappointment (just like Barrett and Vitti - who combined make more than a DP). However, if the DP is even a mild success we'll have a striker who can convert on some of our many, many chances. That's key here - we produce TONS of chances. It's glaringly obvious that a quality DP striker would be quite successful here. OR maybe not - but why not take the chance? You have to try something different when things aren't working.

i know he isn't a dp, but i was commenting on hurl's position.

i am skeptical about the DP - on the one hand, you could be right, someone who has amazing finishing would bag us a ton of goals. but that takes up 400K cap space, meaning the downside is minus 2 major players minimum. lets say we win at MTL, those two extra players would have been handy.

to bring it back to what i was saying before, the other downside to the DP is exactly what anselmi has said, there haven't been many instances of DP's doing well. while i can see that the likelihood of one doing well here might be pretty high, anselmi's argument has been the same one a lot of people on this board were touting as the downside to bringing one in over the winter. hence all the people shitting on his comment is pretty ironic.

but realistically, what we have to work around is 1, finding someone willing to come here, and 2, finding a guy young enough to satisfy mo, who has said already that he would rather a young guy than some 30+ guy at the end of his career

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 04:34 PM
i know he isn't a dp, but i was commenting on hurl's position.

i am skeptical about the DP - on the one hand, you could be right, someone who has amazing finishing would bag us a ton of goals. but that takes up 400K cap space, meaning the downside is minus 2 major players minimum. lets say we win at MTL, those two extra players would have been handy.

to bring it back to what i was saying before, the other downside to the DP is exactly what anselmi has said, there haven't been many instances of DP's doing well. while i can see that the likelihood of one doing well here might be pretty high, anselmi's argument has been the same one a lot of people on this board were touting as the downside to bringing one in over the winter. hence all the people shitting on his comment is pretty ironic.

but realistically, what we have to work around is 1, finding someone willing to come here, and 2, finding a guy young enough to satisfy mo, who has said already that he would rather a young guy than some 30+ guy at the end of his career

by wages, both Barrett and Vitti are major players. I'd lose both of them for a striker DP in a heartbeat.

Roogsy
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Schelotto's team has the same points as us, but we don't have DP. Ljundberg's team is 1 point better than us, and we don't have a DP.

Anselmi ain't lying my friend. You need to look at the question in more detail.

Talk about cherry-picking!!! :eek:

Beach_Red
06-09-2009, 04:48 PM

1. pay him enough and he'll come, and 2, this team needs someone right now - even if it's someone who's over 35 if he can still score goals for half a season in MLS that's what this team needs.

Roogsy
06-09-2009, 04:48 PM
There are only two solutions when you are a team in Toronto's position.

We are one of the WORST teams in MLS at stopping goals. So either shore up the backline and have less goals go in...or do what LA did last year and become a goal scoring machine.

Right now we let goals in and struggle to score goals.

Sign the stinking DP striker already. This "wrong" DP argument is the dumbest thing I've heard because of one undeniable fact: Having no DP ensures you get no goals from a DP.

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 05:04 PM
There are only two solutions when you are a team in Toronto's position.

We are one of the WORST teams in MLS at stopping goals. So either shore up the backline and have less goals go in...or do what LA did last year and become a goal scoring machine.

Right now we let goals in and struggle to score goals.

Sign the stinking DP striker already. This "wrong" DP argument is the dumbest thing I've heard because of one undeniable fact: Having no DP ensures you get no goals from a DP.

Actually the worst team at stopping goals this season is San Jose.

So our solution is to sign their defender.

figures.

trane
06-09-2009, 05:46 PM

figures.

Hahahahaha. Tha cracked me up. Sad but true. Oh, fuck.

Hooligan69
06-09-2009, 05:55 PM

figures.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Super
06-09-2009, 08:13 PM
the other downside to the DP is exactly what anselmi has said, there haven't been many instances of DP's doing well. while i can see that the likelihood of one doing well here might be pretty high, anselmi's argument has been the same one a lot of people on this board were touting as the downside to bringing one in over the winter. hence all the people shitting on his comment is pretty ironic.

But that's just plain false. There are more instances of DP's doing well than there are instances of them doing poorly. Don't blame the DP - blame the scouting and the manager for bringing in the failures instead of the DP itself. The DP spot has the ability to make or break a season. You think Columbus would've won the league without Schelotto? They were shit before he joined the team. And what about Chicago? They weren't exactly much of a threat before they signed Blanco. And now look at Seattle - on their way to making the play-offs in the first year, and no doubt Ljungberg is very much integral. I've seen him tear apart team and team. And finally, do you think NYRB would've made the play-offs last year without Angel's 16 goals? They're shit this year and Angel has no service, still he's scored as many goals as our entire team of strikers. These are facts - and prove Anselmi has zero clue what he's talking about.

The DP is great if you have a capable manager and scouting system in place. Who dares wins, my friend. Who dares wins!