PDA

View Full Version : so we play on turf, why do we have a team schooled in longball?

keem-o-sabi
06-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Okay, I'll duck and cover after this, but for all the protesting going on against MLSE about the turf...we play on turf, it's not going to change anytime soon, so why build a team to play long ball?

We play over half our matches on turf (if you count home, NYRB, and NE), so we should be looking to solidify matches on those playing surfaces. So why not do everything we can to pick players who would do well on these?

Just my thoughts. That in itself is Mo's direction of picking players.

flatpicker
06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
well, first of all... the title of this thread sounds a little confusing...

second... I'm sure MLS teams develop strategy for playing on different surfaces.
it wouldn't be very wise not to adjust your tactics when the ball reacts differently on turf.

keem-o-sabi
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
well I just think that we should be building a team capable of winning at home more often. We aren't to be honest, as much as everyone thinks we are, we're drawing a lot or scrapping by.

Fort York Redcoat
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Pick players who play on turf? How many Englishmen on our team?

This mentality is right up there with not picking internationals playing for their country. I understand the Mohammed and Mountain parallel you're drawing but it don't work for me.

Best players first.

NateDoGG
06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
toronto fc will never get a european class player with turf...

arbogast
06-08-2009, 02:34 PM
it makes sense to play long ball on turf, because it doesn't react the same way grass does, prohibiting quality passing, especially in the heat and rain and. Have you been on that turf in the middle of the summer? it's scorching and causes the ball to do wierd shit.

fetajr
06-08-2009, 02:37 PM
long ball style should be discarded on any type of pitch...it never wins, NEVER!!!

arbogast
06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
long ball style should be discarded on any type of pitch...it never wins, NEVER!!!

It's not entertaining to watch, and I don't like it, but playing pass and move on turf doesn't work well, that's why we always end up lumping down field.

troy1982
06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
It's not entertaining to watch, and I don't like it, but playing pass and move on turf doesn't work well, that's why we always end up lumping down field.

Field turf doesn't seem to stop teams like Seattle from passing very nicely and effectively against us and in their home games at Qwest (fieldturf).