PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Jun.08

denime
06-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Mornin'

Miscues on and off the field leave Toronto FC fans fuming
PAUL ATTFIELD
While the English will go to almost any lengths to watch soccer - such as one Newcastle native who took a 5,500-kilometre train ride to Kazakhstan to watch England win a World Cup qualifier last Saturday - fellow Geordie John Carver was surely questioning his decision to travel to Canada to witness Toronto FC's 2-1 capitulation to the Los Angeles Galaxy that same day.

Read More (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/miscues-on-and-off-the-field-leave-toronto-fc-fans-fuming/article1172915/)

Second opinion
Ryan Johnston
Galaxy coach Bruce Arena and I could not ignore the elephant outside any longer, so I explained:
"The noise outside is a fan protest, aimed at a variety of things including the pitch, recent results, the front office, etc."

He looked surprised.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/06/07/johnston_opinion/)

Mo must take blame
TFC woes rest on his shoulders
GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)
More losses, more problems. Issues on the field and off. Players and fans speaking out against the club.
To say Toronto FC has had a bad week is an understatement. To say it wasn't coming would be a lie.
For a team we've been told is the model for all Major League Soccer clubs, things couldn't look worse.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/08/9709811-sun.html)

TFC vs. Galaxy Post Game Quotes
TORONTO FC INTERIM HEAD COACH CHRIS CUMMINS
On the game:
"I thought we showed great character to come back after going 1-nil down, I think it was a game where we had a lot of possession, I'm starting to sound like a broken record aren't I? A lot of chances again -- I just looked out of 18, 11 (shots) on target and we haven't finished our chances. Then we give two awful goals away, no doubt about it. Set plays, I hate conceding on set plays, everybody does because you're given a job on a set play and you're there to do your job that's what you're in the team for -- you do your job and that's everybody."

Read More (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090606&content_id=5181118&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Toronto FC's Wynne off to South Africa
cbc.ca
Toronto FC will have to make do without Marvell Wynne for the time being after the defender was named to the U.S. national team roster Sunday for the upcoming FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa.
Wynne was one of 23 players named to coach Bob Bradley's side, which also includes all-time national team scoring leader Landon Donovan of the L.A. Galaxy and Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard.

Wynne's national team commitments means he will miss Toronto's home game against the New York Red Bulls on June 13, and the team's Canadian club championship contest versus the Montreal Impact five days later.

Read More (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/FIFAconfederationscup/News/story/2009/06/07/sp-marvell-wynne.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

denime
06-08-2009, 05:49 AM
This Real Madrid game disaster is just getting better and better.

Wynne's national team commitments means he will miss Toronto's home game against the New York Red Bulls on June 13, and the team's Canadian club championship contest versus the Montreal Impact five days later.

Guevara has game on Wednesday,coming back probably Friday,I don't think we will see him playing a lot on Saturday.

Isn't that great,thanks FO :hump:

scooter
06-08-2009, 07:57 AM
mornin d

Parkdale
06-08-2009, 08:00 AM
mornin'

looks like the protest at gate 4 was picked up by the media. Glad the message is getting out there.

Technorgasm
06-08-2009, 08:06 AM
players on international duty is an MLS issue.

Ask mo and carver how they feel about having their club punished for signing good. Internationals.

Everythings not lost.

T

Nodoubtguy
06-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Cheers to Paul Attfield......a good read

keem-o-sabi
06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Good morning D, here is the coed girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/):)

denime
06-08-2009, 08:26 AM
players on international duty is an MLS issue.

Ask mo and carver how they feel about having their club punished for signing good. Internationals.

Everythings not lost.

T

Sorry I have to disagree,in our case players on international duty is an ML$E issue,only reason why we are playing on June 13 is a useless friendly game vs RM in Aug.so ML$S rescheduled NYRB for next weekend.

Maybe Mo and Carver should ask DC United management how to sign good players who are not playing for their countries and somehow DC is still able to make playoff year after year.

Carter
06-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Good morning D, here is the coed girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/):)

She just made me smile...

Juanito
06-08-2009, 08:35 AM

Aren't you married Keem-o-sabi? You shouldn't be looking at these .... lol .... I can't say that with a a straight face!!

phonzo
06-08-2009, 08:36 AM
She just made me smile...

your lucky all I got was "Blocked by WebSense" ...damn you internet filters!

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Congrats to Wynne for being named to the Confederations Cup team... I just hope Nana doesn't get injured again (and that he recovers quickly from his current injury :(), or we're screwed.

rocker
06-08-2009, 08:43 AM
somehow DC is still able to make playoff year after year.

DC didn't make the playoffs last year with all those internationals ;)

CoachGT
06-08-2009, 08:44 AM
I think the media attention shows that we have made a point.

Nuvinho
06-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Today is the day we find out if we need a 2nd job to buy Real Madrid tickets!!

GabrielHurl
06-08-2009, 09:20 AM
At $138 per ticket for the yellow supporters section seats before your 10% "loyalty" discount - get saving

The Professor
06-08-2009, 09:22 AM
To begin, June 6 (D-Day) should never be a day of protest.

Huh?!?
Forgive me for being an historian and not a sportswriter, Mr. Johnston, but I'm pretty sure the D-Day invasion itself was a protest on a massive scale.

Antoshka
06-08-2009, 09:22 AM
woooow im in love with sunshine girl! finally a beautiful girl in the sun who would have thunk it!

yanggoh
06-08-2009, 09:24 AM
that is definitely the hottest sunshine girl in weeks, if not months

mr k
06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I think the media attention shows that we have made a point

it could have been better as mentioned in Ryan Johnston piece:

But in reality, even those who do peruse fan boards and are in town permanently, stared blankly when asked for an opinion or explanation.

The smattering of fans (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/06/9701361.html) in the south end before kick-off was unanimously chocked-up to traffic congestion or long lines at the concessions.

Successful protests are difficult and rare and unless they are meticulously planned, they will go off as amateurish. The planned protest on Saturday was not meticulously planned, and it came off as amateurish.

it sucked to watch a group of men (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edition=68/teams/team=43899.html)who made an entire nation turn on its television sets to watch Mexico '86 receive only a light applause when the south end supporters should have made those men feel like they did 23 years ago.

mclaren
06-08-2009, 09:30 AM
To begin, June 6 (D-Day) should never be a day of protest.

Huh?!?
Forgive me for being an historian and not a sportswriter, Mr. Johnston, but I'm pretty sure the D-Day invasion itself was a protest on a massive scale.

Yeah - that a was weird thing to say. Were our troops not fighting for our freedoms, our freedoms to do things like protest? Strange point to make indeed.

mclaren
06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
it could have been better as mentioned in Ryan Johnston piece:

But in reality, even those who do peruse fan boards and are in town permanently, stared blankly when asked for an opinion or explanation.

The smattering of fans (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/06/9701361.html) in the south end before kick-off was unanimously chocked-up to traffic congestion or long lines at the concessions.

Successful protests are difficult and rare and unless they are meticulously planned, they will go off as amateurish. The planned protest on Saturday was not meticulously planned, and it came off as amateurish.

it sucked to watch a group of men (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edition=68/teams/team=43899.html)who made an entire nation turn on its television sets to watch Mexico '86 receive only a light applause when the south end supporters should have made those men feel like they did 23 years ago.

The point about the group of men only getting light applause - I did not even know about this. Did anyone else?

Roogsy
06-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Funny enough, I don't have a problem with Ryan Johnston's article. It is not an opinion I agree with, but at least he has the sense to make a well thought out argument. The whole "you shouldn't protest on D-Day" was kind of silly I agree. And I feel for the '86 team but really I am not sure it could have come across any better. We applauded. What does Ryan want, us to go bat-shit crazy?

As for the shot across the bow...I think it's exactly what it was. This isn't war...why can't people have a disagreement and show it without thinking it's going to become all out war?

The_Brace
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I was surprised with Ryan on that one. Normally he is pretty good with the write ups, this when seemed like a home economics project. Poorly stitched together and not really making much sense.

RJ, were you hungover when you wrote this?

mclaren
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
When did the 86 team come out? I totally missed it? Were any fans in the stadium at that point?

olegunnar
06-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I was surprised with Ryan on that one. Normally he is pretty good with the write ups, this when seemed like a home economics project. Poorly stitched together and not really making much sense.

RJ, were you hungover when you wrote this?

Maybe he was scared of getting Cathal-ed

Velvet Elvis
06-08-2009, 10:00 AM
At $138 per ticket for the yellow supporters section seats before your 10% "loyalty" discount - get saving

Did the pricing get released already ???

(or is this speculation?)

Ageroo
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
When did the 86 team come out? I totally missed it? Were any fans in the stadium at that point?

If I remember correctly....it was right before the players came out......I think.

Darlofletch
06-08-2009, 10:26 AM
If I remember correctly....it was right before the players came out......I think.

Yeah, pre game. I could here it going on as I was walking to the stadium.

The place is never full/loud before the anthems anyway, so i doubt there was that much fewer people there. Can't say for sure though because I was one of the ones that wasn't there yet. Damn Dufferin bus.

And that $138 per ticket quoted above, Has the pricing/timing of tickets on sale been released yet? I can't find it anywhere.

menefreghista
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
And that $138 per ticket quoted above, Has the pricing/timing of tickets on sale been released yet? I can't find it anywhere.

This info is suppose to be released by the club today.

Suds
06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Funny enough, I don't have a problem with Ryan Johnston's article. It is not an opinion I agree with, but at least he has the sense to make a well thought out argument. The whole "you shouldn't protest on D-Day" was kind of silly I agree. And I feel for the '86 team but really I am not sure it could have come across any better. We applauded. What does Ryan want, us to go bat-shit crazy?

As for the shot across the bow...I think it's exactly what it was. This isn't war...why can't people have a disagreement and show it without thinking it's going to become all out war?

Nor do I for the most part. His points about making a protest successful are well noted. It can be a very fine line between getting a groups concerns across in a clear and concise manner and just looking like a bunch of whiners. It's good advice and people should take note.

I don't get the D-Day quote either. It's not like something went on during a D-Day ceremony or anything close to that. If Ryan's view of D-Day is that people should be focusing on remembering that day in our history, then he should also making the argument that a sports event for entertainment should not be played during that time either. It's OK to drink beer, eat hot dogs, and cheer on your team on the D-Day anniversary but it's not OK to speak your mind???? He lost me on that one.

CoachGT
06-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Before the game, after the lineups. I was a littrle surprised to see only a handful of people standing for the applause, and that it only lasted a few seconds. A sad statement for the only Canadians to reach a World Cup.

Also, if you watch the game in an hour, Liminatis had some interesting comments. Toronto is an improved team this year, but not significantly improved over last year..... can't say that I disagree.

Super
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Great article by Gareth Wheeler. He's pretty much spot on with this piece!

Roogsy
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Nor do I for the most part. His points about making a protest successful are well noted. It can be a very fine line between getting a groups concerns across in a clear and concise manner and just looking like a bunch of whiners. It's good advice and people should take note.

I don't get the D-Day quote either. It's not like something went on during a D-Day ceremony or anything close to that. If Ryan's view of D-Day is that people should be focusing on remembering that day in our history, then he should also making the argument that a sports event for entertainment should not be played during that time either. It's OK to drink beer, eat hot dogs, and cheer on your team on the D-Day anniversary but it's not OK to speak your mind???? He lost me on that one.

Really good points.

Roogsy
06-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Holy crap I feel sick for saying this but...

Good article by Gareth Wheeler.

:puke:

TorontoBlades
06-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I think it's a great column and I've tried to point this out to you guys. If you have a thread going with 1000 posts in it - it's probably coming from the same 15 people. When you take the fact that the supporters are already such a significantly small proportion of of the attendence - it definately can work against you. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen as much red at BMO than I did on Saturday. Most of the people that I talked to before and after the game were of the "I couldn't be arsed" opinion.

The what you get is Paul looking at all of the red and a group gathering at the south side of the BMO and thinking - oh well, pissed of 20 people today, at least I'm getting my dollars from the other 20,050 today.

The banners = good
The protest = bad (it shows that the supporters groups can't draw on support for issues that they beleive in)

mclaren
06-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Before the game, after the lineups. I was a littrle surprised to see only a handful of people standing for the applause, and that it only lasted a few seconds. A sad statement for the only Canadians to reach a World Cup.

Also, if you watch the game in an hour, Liminatis had some interesting comments. Toronto is an improved team this year, but not significantly improved over last year..... can't say that I disagree.

Why didn't they do this during half-time? Would make more sense surely?

Ageroo
06-08-2009, 11:03 AM

I think at half time you get much of the same if not worse...people flooding the concourse, washrooms, smoking, etc....

Yohan
06-08-2009, 11:24 AM
few things about Wheeler article
-I thought Conor Casey asked to be traded because his wife didn't like the city or something? (or am I confusing him with someone else)
-Edson Buddle... well, ten appearances for the Reds, zero goals. He was traded to LA Galaxy for Tyrone Marshall, when it was deemed that TFC needed a CB really badly. Funny how Wheeler didn't mention that
-No GM is clairvoyant. No one could have predicted Buddle's 16 goal season for LAG, or Conor Casey being tied for top scorer in MLS right now

Toronto Ruffrider
06-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Holy crap I feel sick for saying this but...

Good article by Gareth Wheeler.

:puke:

Just like any columnist, he deserves credit where it's due. I enjoyed the article, as it hit on a lot of issues that have been discussed heavily on this board in recent weeks.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-08-2009, 11:33 AM
-I thought Conor Casey asked to be traded because his wife didn't like the city or something? (or am I confusing him with someone else)
-Edson Buddle... well, ten appearances for the Reds, zero goals. He was traded to LA Galaxy for Tyrone Marshall, when it was deemed that TFC needed a CB really badly. Funny how Wheeler didn't mention that
-No GM is clairvoyant. No one could have predicted Buddle's 16 goal season for LAG, or Conor Casey being tied for top scorer in MLS right now

I think you're mixing up Conor Casey with Richard Mulrooney. Mulrooney's wife lived in Texas, so Richard requested to be traded back to that state.

As for Conor Casey, his preferred team was obviously Colorado, but I don't recall him requesting a trade. At any rate, Mo Johnston should never have used our no. 1 allocation to sign him.

Darlofletch
06-08-2009, 11:46 AM

I always said to myself that if they kept all the horrible sponsor promos out of the actual game, and didn't play music when we score etc, that I wouldn't complain about the half time crap to satisfy the sponsors/pay the bills, so I won't actually complain about what we get instead, but yes, that might have been a much better time for it.

JamboAl
06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I just saw a small piece from Jeff Blair in his regular Globe and Mail article today which I don't think has been brought up yet. There may be a link on the interweb but the paper article states:

"Dwayne De Rosario has a point: If they're putting in a temporary grass field for Toronto FC's match against Real Madrid but insisting that MLS players play on the artificial crap at BMO Field, is that not a double standard? Honestly, if it isn't holding people's feet to the fire about the way the men's national team doesn't get its due, it's putting pressure on TFC owner MLSE and City Hall to give the city and the country a first-class soccer venue. Somebody sit down and write out a bloody cheque and get this thing done, will you? Put another artificial pitch some place else for the weekend warriors. No other national team puts up with as much crap as De Rosario and the rest of our men's soccer team."

Mr. Blair, you GET IT! Thank you very much!

SilverSamurai
06-08-2009, 11:48 AM
And why does the article not mention who was the playmaker for most if not all of those goals last season?
Or that even with Landycakes, LAG still didn't make the playoffs!

Blizzard
06-08-2009, 11:50 AM
This Real Madrid game disaster is just getting better and better.

Guevara has game on Wednesday,coming back probably Friday,I don't think we will see him playing a lot on Saturday.

Isn't that great,thanks FO :hump:

You can't use that argument regarding Amado. He will be away on call-up on Aug 9th so wouldn't have been here at all.

If he plays next Saturday, it is bonus.

dal524
06-08-2009, 12:05 PM
info hasnt been realeased for madrid tix yet. i havent got the email yet. anyone else?

DOMIN8R
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Club already missing handful of players to injury...

Toronto FC's already depleted defensive corps just got a little thinner.
The Major League Soccer club announced today that defender Marvell Wynne, who has missed the last two matches on international duty, has been named to the 23-man roster for the United States team playing in the Confederations Cup, which begins in South Africa next week.

More here: http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/647260

menefreghista
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
You can't use that argument regarding Amado. He will be away on call-up on Aug 9th so wouldn't have been here at all.

If he plays next Saturday, it is bonus.

World Cup qualifiers are on Aug 12, not Aug 9.

Generally, less time is given for the mid-August qualifiers for players to get to their respective National Teams. So Amado would have played for us on Aug. 9, and then would have left for Honduras.

DOMIN8R
06-08-2009, 01:04 PM
11 (7). Toronto FC (4-5-4)
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/images/2008/04/07/2008_026.jpg (http://www.soccerbyives.net/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/07/2008_026.jpg)
Last Week: Lost to Los Angeles Galaxy, 1-0, on Saturday.
This Week:
Outlook:

"While I'm giving LA more credit than I used to, I still have to drop Toronto quite a bit for losing at home to a Landon-less Galaxy team. That's a thoroughly shocking result, Amado Guevara or no Amado Guevara."

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/06/sbi-mls-power-rankings-week-12.html#more

TorontoBlades
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
And why does the article not mention who was the playmaker for most if not all of those goals last season?
Or that even with Landycakes, LAG still didn't make the playoffs!

I can't imagine his service could be any better that what Barrett has been getting. I guarantee Buddle would have put away many more chances...