PDA

View Full Version : Who will replace Danny Dichio when he retires?

BayernTFC
06-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Dichio was a monster on the pitch for us against the Galaxy yesterday. His height (6' 3") and physical play give TFC an added dimension that no other player on our squad can offer. Not to mention his passing ability and his touch around the net. Unfortunately, Dichio will retire soon and another concussion could make this happen earlier than expected. So, who do you think TFC should acquire to fill the void that DD will leave once he's gone? Now I understand that this isn't an easy task as not everyone is willing to play in Toronto on turf (perhaps this is why Mo couldn't convince Nate Jaqua (6' 0") to stick around?), but does anyone want to speculate or offer ideas/comments? Houston's Chris Wondolowski (6' 1") has played well in a relief role for the Dynamo this season. What about Cam Weaver (6' 4") or Pablo Campos (6' 3") from San Jose? Columbus' Jason Garey (6' 0") has a goal and assist this season despite only playing in 4 games for the Crew. Maybe you think TFC should go in a different direction and find a striker whose style is completely different than Dichio's? It has been mentioned on this board before that Chris Rolfe (5' 8") of the Chicago Fire is disgruntled. Rolfe is a talented player and he should be pursued irregardless imho. What do you think?

Marco2K
06-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Dichio will never retire. He is STRONGER THE SUPERMAN!

Roogsy
06-07-2009, 03:52 PM
If this really is Dichio's last year...we're screwed next year.

I have been asking this question for weeks by the way.

Shway
06-07-2009, 03:55 PM
there is no such thing a replacing Danny Dichio!

boban
06-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Silly question in some respects.
I mean who knows what the future holds?
This question can't be answered until the start of next season and we see who management have brought in.

trane
06-07-2009, 04:10 PM

Ditto. I hope that someone in the FO is too.

BayernTFC
06-07-2009, 04:16 PM

My apologies. I haven't been able to post here for very long. I only just registered.

TFC USA
06-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Peter Crouch. :D

Roogsy
06-07-2009, 04:23 PM
My apologies. I haven't been able to post here for very long. I only just registered.

:lol: Hahaha...actually that's not what I mean. Ask away my friend. What I mean was that the question keeps getting asked and there are no answers.

Which is worrisome.

Beach_Red
06-07-2009, 04:26 PM
:lol: Hahaha...actually that's not what I mean. Ask away my friend. What I mean was that the question keeps getting asked and there are no answers.

Which is worrisome.

Well, there's a weird rule in MLS, they call it the Designated Player rule where each team can spend beyond the cap for one ---

:drinking:

Roogsy
06-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Well, there's a weird rule in MLS, they call it the Designated Player rule where each team can spend beyond the cap for one ---

:drinking:

Too true.

Too true.

werewolf
06-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Jan Koller or Carsten Jancker.

trane
06-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Which is worrisome.

Very much so. This team in this form, minus Dichio is not something to look forward too. He is already playing way to little for my taste. Sure they may not help it, but is troubeling, he has started what 5 games at most this year?

ExiledRed
06-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm more concerned about how we're going to replace Barrett.

And when.

InTheCrowd
06-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Yang Changpeng (6 ft 8+1⁄2 in).

Juanito
06-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I think we need to ask a different question. When we use long ball tactics, we play horribly, and only Dicchio can do anything with the ball.

Maybe we should ask WHEN will the tactics be changed to suit the strengths of the team?

You can't really replace a Dicchio, you can find another tall player, but he will never truly replace him. Not that Dicchio is some super-scoring-machine, but he has been a our best forward in the first three years of the team's existence, no one can ever take that away from him.

BayernTFC
06-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Peter Crouch. :D
Crouch has surprisingly deadly feet for such a tall player. He is almost as prolific a scorer on the ground as he is in the air. One can always dream...

BayernTFC
06-07-2009, 07:39 PM

Which is worrisome.
It definitely is worrisome. After watching the game yesterday, I wondered where we would be as a team without Dichio or Frei and then shuddered.

In regards to my response to your comments, I have noticed that tensions have been high on this board recently and members have been snapping at each other. It will take some time for me to get to know people here and their styles of conversation. Some people on other forums can get quite upset if topics are reposted, so I was unsure as to the intentions of your post. My misinterpretation of your comments at least brought some levity here which has been missing during many occasions in the last week or so.

werewolf
06-07-2009, 07:48 PM
off-topic

I haven't been able to post here for very long. I only just registered.

Maybe you should check out this thread too. :D

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=138

:drum:

BayernTFC
06-07-2009, 07:53 PM
The big Czech threat up front. Koller is huge. Maybe we would have a chance drawing him over to play in Canada. To the best of my knowledge, Koller is still playing in Russia. One of the few places that might be considered colder than Canada. :lol:

I like the way you think. Former Bayern man Carsten Jancker. He's currently playing in Austria, but he had a short stint in China. I wonder how he feels about Canada...

torontocelt
06-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Well Real Madrid are apparently looking to sell Ruud Van Nistlerooy for a paltry 1.8m pounds, why so cheap I do not know although he was injured for much of last season so they may be worried about his legs? There is no chance he will come to Toronto but I can only dream, he would without a doubt sort out the scoring chances we have. Who knows maybe he will come for the friendly and be bowled over by the grass surface, just make sure no one tells him that it isn't permanent.

BayernTFC
06-07-2009, 08:07 PM

And when.
Another good, but difficult question to answer. A certain 4-year contract extension makes things very tricky. The transfer window opens on July 15. Maybe prayer will help?

ExiledRed
06-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Are we even allowed to leave Barrett exposed for the philadelphia draft?

dantdot
06-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Rob Friend.

zeelaw
06-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Conor Casey please.

BayernTFC
06-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Yang Changpeng (6 ft 8+1⁄2 in).
I plead ignorance when it comes to this player. Wikipedia states:

In October 2006, Bolton Wanderers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Wanderers) took Yang Changpeng, dubbed 'China's Peter Crouch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Crouch)', on a one-month trial[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Changpeng#cite_note-0).
China's Peter Crouch sounds good, but I guess Bolton found out that, much like some other Chinese goods, he was a cheap copy.

Barth Bagge
06-07-2009, 08:14 PM

And when.

Roll on O'Brien White!

icecoldbeer
06-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Ali Gerba?

BayernTFC
06-07-2009, 08:27 PM
off-topic

Maybe you should check out this thread too. :D

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=138

:drum:

Thanks for the heads up werewolf. I think that I will be posting in that thread often too. Cheers. :cheers:

prizby
06-07-2009, 10:34 PM
one person said the answer...Dichio's replacement is already here

O'Brian White (6'1)

TFC07
06-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Dichio is irreplaceable!

InTheCrowd
06-07-2009, 10:39 PM
China's Peter Crouch sounds good, but I guess Bolton found out that, much like some other Chinese goods, he was a cheap copy.

If he was good enough to get a Bolton trial he's good enough for us. :D

Let's not forget he's still young and could develop wonderfully. He'd be cheap to and would be willing to come here. Maybe I'm dreaming but oh well. :p

Aroundtheworld
06-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Marcus Haber

TFC Udora
06-07-2009, 11:24 PM
one of next season's friendlies should be the Danny Dichio testimonial match

ensco
06-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Why does Ibbe never get a mention in these threads?

I'll mention him. I think he's going to be something special.

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 12:40 AM

You know what?

I agree. Ibbe has been overlooked this season, and it boggles the mind why, he definitely knows where the net is.

Management doesn't want to admit Barrett is crap, because then we have to question that ridiculous contract of his, that is the one that better players on the squad didnt get.

Therefore they keep playing him, hoping for another brainfart.

(That's right, when Barrett has a brainfart, he scores)

DOMIN8R
06-08-2009, 06:55 AM
I have been in several interesting conversations where people have suggested that perhaps DD may be convinced to stay another year.

He has said openly that he and his family love Toronto.
He plans on staying here after his retirement.
He stated that he wanted to retire back when he was riding the pine and not seeing any time on the pitch during games.
His form and stats have demonstrated his value, since then.
He's probably willing to take a pay decrease to stay another year.
But he did say this was his last year. Can his mind be changed?

If his stats continue to be favourable, I would argue that it's worth making every effort to convince him to stay another year.

pubboy
06-08-2009, 07:11 AM
dual role including a coaching role.

ACSertL
06-08-2009, 07:31 AM

:lol:

These were the first two names that came to my mind as well!

ensco
06-08-2009, 08:12 AM
You know what?

I agree. Ibbe has been overlooked this season, and it boggles the mind why, he definitely knows where the net is.

Management doesn't want to admit Barrett is crap, because then we have to question that ridiculous contract of his, that is the one that better players on the squad didnt get.

Therefore they keep playing him, hoping for another brainfart.

(That's right, when Barrett has a brainfart, he scores)

I think we're burying Ibbe so that he doesn't play the minutes required to trigger the higher compensation that would be due Dallas (from memory, if he plays half the games this year, Dallas gets a first round pick).

Ossington Mental Youth
06-08-2009, 08:29 AM

i tend to agree with this as well, you can see it just in his style of play, that being said he is 17 and i do have some faith in Cummins who has worked alot with the youth. I am pretty psyched to see him in teh future and do think he should be getting more playing time.

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Are we even allowed to leave Barrett exposed for the philadelphia draft?
LMAO. I don't see why not. Maybe we should be singing his praises? If nothing else, exposing Chad in the entry draft could provide protection for another player. That may not be so helpful this season, but one can hope. I don't think other teams will walk into anything with eyes shut, so we are likely going to have to find some way for Chad to help us out. I'd like to see him perform better so we could at least make an argument to other teams. We were able to trade Cunningham to Dallas, although he did have a goal scoring past (just not with us)...I'd certainly like an option that would allow Chad to come off the bench or play a secondary role upfront. Either way, it might be better for everyone to hold their tongues, stop beating up on Chad so much, and pray that he can tap a few balls in here and there. Whatever you do, don't tell anyone in Philadelphia about these boards. :lol:

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Rob Friend.
I would love to see that happen. Alas, I don't see any chance of prying him away from Borussia Mönchengladbach and Bundesliga action while his competitive level is so high. Maybe 4 or 5 years from now? By that time, I'd imagine we'd be competing with the Whitecaps for his attention.

Chevy
06-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Chuck Norris. He's the only logical alternative.

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Conor Casey please.
He even got called up for the USMNT versus Honduras. Conor is definitely having an excellent season so far. If only we could turn back time...

Ossington Mental Youth
06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Wouldnt have mattered Casey wanted to go and we already had Dichio

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 09:59 AM
one person said the answer...Dichio's replacement is already here

O'Brian White (6'1)
That's an awful lot of pressure for a young guy trying to overcome a serious injury. It would be nice if eventually that becomes the case. I haven't seen anything from O'Brian White, so I will defer judgment.

Roogsy
06-08-2009, 10:05 AM
dual role including a coaching role.

YES!

Love it...make it happen!

Jamaicanadian
06-08-2009, 10:08 AM
I see OBW as a replacement for Chad Barrett not Danny D.

Ditto. I hope that someone in the FO is too.

I'm in this camp as well..not looking great at the moment........

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Wouldnt have mattered Casey wanted to go and we already had Dichio
Oh really??? Gareth Wheeler doesn't think so:

Some of Johnston's other failures include quitting on North American players all too quickly -- for every Euro-bust like Laurent Robert and Andy Welsh, a North American player has been overlooked too quickly.
Edson Buddle, who scored the match winner for the L.A. Galaxy on Saturday, was deemed not good enough for TFC. So was MLS leading goal-scorer Conor Casey. And the list goes on.
There may be a hint of disrespect toward the North American development model in Johnston's team building.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/08/9709811-sun.html

Beach_Red
06-08-2009, 10:17 AM
^ probably from the coaching staff, too. Everyone was really upfront that player selection was a group effort. Robert, Ricketts, guys like that have more to do with Carver than they do Mo.

Maybe it's time for Mo to draft a coach from the NCAA.

Jamaicanadian
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
^^^Buddle earned his way outta town IMO...he didn't look good at all while he was here....As they say hindsight is 20/20....

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 10:19 AM
If he was good enough to get a Bolton trial he's good enough for us. :D

Let's not forget he's still young and could develop wonderfully. He'd be cheap to and would be willing to come here. Maybe I'm dreaming but oh well. :p
You are absolutely right. Teams in leagues everywhere have to find ways to attract talent at reduced prices. Transfer and contract fees for players coming out of some regions are consistently high. Even a poor man's Eric Crouch could play well and help this team. Now, how do we get him on Mo's radar screen and convince him to come and play here?

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 10:25 AM
^^^Buddle earned his way outta town IMO...he didn't look good at all while he was here....As they say hindsight is 20/20....
I agree that it's easy to look in the rear view mirror. I will just say that the team wasn't much to watch at the time and sometimes you need patience. Buddle and Casey weren't in town for that long. How much time was Barett given before he received a 4 year contract extension???

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Marcus Haber
Marcus Haber is 6' 3 1/2" and he had an excellent game (one still too fresh in memory) for the Whitecaps when we went down 2-0 in Vancouver. I was impressed with what I saw of him. I would like to see a few more televised Whitecap games so I could watch him more closely. He's born in Vancouver, so maybe he'll wait until the Whitecaps join the MLS? Vancouver is in the drivers seat for the CL spot, so he is likely to get some Concacaf Champions League play to tide him over.

OneLoveOneEric
06-08-2009, 10:44 AM
That's an awful lot of pressure for a young guy trying to overcome a serious injury. It would be nice if eventually that becomes the case. I haven't seen anything from O'Brian White, so I will defer judgment.

I agree, and have said this several times before. The expectations some people here have for White to come in a immediately make an impact will kill him.
Go slow if we ever want to see him become anything.

elvis
06-08-2009, 10:45 AM
If Mo tries to replace Dichio, Dichio will replace Mo.

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I would argue that it's worth making every effort to convince him to stay another year.
I completely agree with this. If Danny can still play, he should remain in our squad.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I can tell you that Wheeler is wrong, i read that article too and thought the samething i said above. Ill see if i can dig anything up from that time but it was pretty well known that Casey wanted to head back to his native Colorado.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-08-2009, 11:16 AM
also i got NO love for Buddle, he was useless here wouldnt even chase down a ball 4 feet in front of him, i dont care what he did int he past and what hes doing at LA, theres no way or reason as to why we should have kept him.

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I agree, and have said this several times before. The expectations some people here have for White to come in a immediately make an impact will kill him.
Go slow if we ever want to see him become anything.
I think that you are on to something. It is unrealistic to expect an immediate impact from OBW because, on top of everything else that has been mentioned, he missed training camp and the first third of the season. When was the last time he actually played in a game? I don't anticipate much contribution coming from White this season.

fetajr
06-08-2009, 11:46 AM
MARTIN PALERMO

m3WuPNddB3c

cl3ZQ0DY7MU

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I can tell you that Wheeler is wrong, i read that article too and thought the samething i said above. Ill see if i can dig anything up from that time but it was pretty well known that Casey wanted to head back to his native Colorado.
A player wanting to go home to play in front of the home town crowd isn't anything out of the ordinary. DeRo wanted the same thing. It doesn't mean management must oblige though. I'd be interested in reading anything that you can find on the matter.

also i got NO love for Buddle, he was useless here wouldnt even chase down a ball 4 feet in front of him, i dont care what he did int he past and what hes doing at LA, theres no way or reason as to why we should have kept him.I respect your opinion. Edson Buddle played in the first ten games for a brand new expansion team, that was built from scratch, before he was traded. He started in five of those ten games. Some people think that may not be enough time to evaluate a player properly, but I am sure that LA and Edson are happy where he is. What would we give now for someone who has even a decent touch around the net? What did Mo have to say about Edson after he left?

Mo stressed the fact (once again) that they were unhappy to see Edson Buddle go, after the five starts and two assists he garnered in his stay with TFC.
http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/toronto-acquires-tyrone-marshall-from-galaxy.html

Ossington Mental Youth
06-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah i just dont see us (or anyone for that matter) holding on to a player that wants to go home, for the most part its respected simply because if you hold them you take the chance of them a) not performing up to par and b) noone else wanting to join your team because they know you wont budge etc etc

as for Buddle, we may have jumped the gun but im still sticking with the fact he always looked lackluster on a totally shitty team. I could very well be wrong but i think youll find few people arguing otherwise.

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah i just dont see us (or anyone for that matter) holding on to a player that wants to go home, for the most part its respected simply because if you hold them you take the chance of them a) not performing up to par and b) noone else wanting to join your team because they know you wont budge etc etc

as for Buddle, we may have jumped the gun but im still sticking with the fact he always looked lackluster on a totally shitty team. I could very well be wrong but i think youll find few people arguing otherwise.

Of course he looked lacklustre, his game was fucked from the start, due to the fact he was playing alongside the most ill suited lineup MLS has ever seen.

He is a poacher, and a good one, but there was nothing to poach and nobody to get the ball to him.

On that team he was at a loose end, on this team he might actually score more than he does for LA.

colman1860
06-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Carsten Jancker.

I remember him!!! Big bald diver, who scored 0 goals in 01/02 and went to the world cup ahead of Martin Max, who scored 21.

He's lucky he never played in an English speaking country...even his own fans would call him Wancker.

NateDoGG
06-08-2009, 11:02 PM
dichio is not replaceable. period.

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Vinnie Jones.

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 11:55 PM
MARTIN PALERMO
Those were some impressive goals. That was one hell of a long ball goal after a magnificently blocked shot. 35 and oft injured...maybe we have a shot. I would be willing to bet, even if he would be willing to come, that the transfer fee or asking price would be considerable. Pablo Vitti didn't come cheap. From what I have read, Palermo has quite the pedigree and reputation for actually scoring goals (even though he did miss 3 penalty kicks in one match against Columbia, doh!).

BayernTFC
06-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Maybe I am wrong, but I didn't see Alex Ferguson giving in so easily when Real Madrid was out to snatch Cristiano Ronaldo. Players are professionals and should be expected to honour contracts. I am not saying that management shouldn't try to cultivate solid relationships with players and accommodate them, but they can't be pushovers. Why don't we just become the league's farm team and give away talent as soon as they start performing, just because they can get better offers elsewhere and ask to leave? You certainly want players who desire to play in Toronto, as well as professionals who have talent and know how to score.

Edit(Addition): I haven't read, heard or seen anything that would indicate that Conor Casey was unwilling to play for us or was anything less than professional. He signed for us and played, unlike McBride, didn't he?

"But (Casey) is excited to go to Toronto. Mo Johnston was a top class center forward, so Conor's looking forward to working with him. He looks at this like a great opportunity to move forward and also to get back in the US National Team."
http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=2729

I'll let Edson's performances on the field since we traded him speak for themselves.

BayernTFC
06-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Of course he looked lacklustre, his game was fucked from the start, due to the fact he was playing alongside the most ill suited lineup MLS has ever seen.

He is a poacher, and a good one, but there was nothing to poach and nobody to get the ball to him.

On that team he was at a loose end, on this team he might actually score more than he does for LA.
I couldn't agree more with these comments. Buddle's exactly the type of player we're missing at the moment. I'm sure I have seen somebody on these boards make this comment, but compare Buddle's one-on-one opportunity with the keeper last Saturday at BMO against Chad Barett's. Perhaps that game might have ended differently for us if we had Buddle in our line-up?

BayernTFC
06-09-2009, 12:41 AM
I remember him!!! Big bald diver, who scored 0 goals in 01/02 and went to the world cup ahead of Martin Max, who scored 21.

He's lucky he never played in an English speaking country...even his own fans would call him Wancker.
I'd love to have him play in this English speaking country. His performances over the last three seasons playing with SV Mattersburg seem decent.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-09-2009, 01:08 AM
ill have a poke around and see if i can find him anywhere.
I dont think that Man U and Ronaldo are an apt comparison (but it would seem that its not likely we will agree on much), if youll note that Ronald has stated hes happy then he wants to go then hes happy where he is, etc etc, to me its teh sign of an agent at work as opposed to a returning player that did poorly in europe and just wants to go home.

with regards to Buddle, i cant help but really wonder if he is what we need, sure he is an out and out poacher but previous to us he hadnt done much (he had a little luck in Columbus, did shit in NYRB). I do wonder (as my memories and hatred of him have faded over time) as to whether he would be a difference maker here. I was never one to jump on a player but Buddle did gain my attention in that respect, especially with other players on the team working so hard, would his cruising help for flounder

As for Jancker Im not so psyched to see him, i remember him too from the 2002 world cup but cant say id be psyched to see him here, christ, he bailed out in china for petesake.

BayernTFC
06-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I dont think that Man U and Ronaldo are an apt comparison (but it would seem that its not likely we will agree on much), if youll note that Ronald has stated hes happy then he wants to go then hes happy where he is, etc etc, to me its teh sign of an agent at work as opposed to a returning player that did poorly in europe and just wants to go home.
My point wasn't to match examples of players with exactly the same reasons for considering a transfer, although I am sure that there are some that more closely resemble Conor Casey's situation, but to highlight the manager's response to the threat and focus on the reaction that Ferguson gave to protect his asset. I understand that Casey was a player that desired to go back home, but he was only given a chance to play in the first two games of our inaugural season, neither was a start, before being traded. That's hardly enough time to try to convince the guy that Toronto is a great place and he should stay a while. So, what does Mo get from Colorado for the hometown boy who was good enough to play in the Bundesliga from 2000 through to 2006?

undisclosed allocations, a third round draft pick, and the rights to British Colombia native Riley O'Neill. O'Neill was drafted in the Supplemental Draft in January, yet decided to try his luck with St. Pauli of the German league.http://torontomls.blogspot.com/2007/04/toronto-fc-trade-conor-casey-to.html

How's Casey doing by the way? You might not think that we need Buddle, but how about Casey? We may not agree on much, I don't know you well enough to formulate an opinion yet, but you have made some valid points. I certainly haven't agreed with everything you have said here and I do think that your arguments haven't been supported well enough. I don't know any of these players personally, so I am open to hearing or reading anything that would set the record straight. My comments aren't meant to be personal and I am enjoying the conversation. It gets quite boring when everyone agrees anyways.

with regards to Buddle, i cant help but really wonder if he is what we need, sure he is an out and out poacher but previous to us he hadnt done much (he had a little luck in Columbus, did shit in NYRB). I do wonder (as my memories and hatred of him have faded over time) as to whether he would be a difference maker here. I was never one to jump on a player but Buddle did gain my attention in that respect, especially with other players on the team working so hard, would his cruising help for flounder
It's hard to argue with someone's observations or how they feel about a certain player. He certainly couldn't be worse than Barrett and possibly cheaper? Chad works hard, but I'd rather have someone who can score. With all that being said, our team has issues in multiple areas that a silver bullet solution is unlikely to fix.

As for Jancker Im not so psyched to see him, i remember him too from the 2002 world cup but cant say id be psyched to see him here, christ, he bailed out in china for petesake.
Different strokes for different folks. I'll just say that Mario Gomez bombed for the national team in Euro 2008, but has been a monster in league play. I am not familiar with the details of Carsten's stint in China, but it is possible that there was considerable culture shock. It wouldn't be the first time that an experiment has gone bad or a player has changed his mind. According to wikipedia, it was Shanghai Senshua's decision:

In 2004 Jancker returned to Germany with Kaiserslautern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1._FC_Kaiserslautern) and showed a slight improvement in form, netting five times in 25 games. Following relegation of Kaiserslautern, Jancker signed with Shanghai Shenhua (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Shenhua) in May 2006. After poor performances, he was dropped in October, and agreed to join SV Mattersburg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SV_Mattersburg) in the winter transfer window.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I guess we can agree to disagree.
Take a look at Huckerby he was here for one game and couldnt be convinced, im sure if a player has it in their minds that they want to play somewhere, that little can change it.
Ive never denied Casey is a great player and would benefit this club substantially, i just dont think we ever had a chance to land him with him wanting to head back home, i will continue to search as i feel quite positive about this.
(i for the record havent been offended at any point, quite the opposite as well, this has been one of the more pleasant disagreements ive ever had on the board).

Ill leave the other two comments open as i do believe we've said all we can about them, HA

jloome
06-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Land Him? We had him. He played here. He was here for two games and we shipped him out. And he stated unequivocably at the time that he was happy here, he didn't ask to be moved, although the speculation was that he did ask, because of family.

We got rights to a kid we've never signed and an undisclosed draft pick for him and now he's the league's top scorer. And he was pretty good last year, too. So basically we gave away one of the league's top strikers for nothing.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
and a 3rd round draft pick, HA

BayernTFC
06-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Take a look at Huckerby he was here for one game and couldnt be convinced
I don't remember Huckerby actually ever playing for us. I do know that his issue was with the field turf:

Toronto FC has agreed to trade the rights to former English Premier League striker Darren Huckerby to the San Jose Earthquakes. Mo Johnston, Toronto FC’s director of soccer, confirmed his club will receive two things from San Jose in return, but not a player.

Johnston said Huckerby, a former star for Norwich City, had concerns with the FieldTurf at BMO Field and that is why he chose to play in San Jose instead of Toronto.
“Obviously Darren had a slight problem with the turf, which we all knew because he had some injuries,” said Johnston. “He came in and loved everything else about the place.”

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2008/07/11/mls-fieldturf-the-reason-huckerby-turns-down-tfc.aspx

im sure if a player has it in their minds that they want to play somewhere, that little can change it.
Well, we do agree on this point. A good example of this is Brian McBride (I believe I mentioned him once already). He was unwilling to sign or play for us.

(i for the record havent been offended at any point, quite the opposite as well, this has been one of the more pleasant disagreements ive ever had on the board).
Sometimes stimulating conversation can be hard to find. If nothing else, debate is a good mental exercise. As long as things remain civil, it's all good.

jloome
06-09-2009, 10:47 AM
God, that's sad. Kinda puts holding out for Barrett for two months in perspective.

Maple Leaf Red
06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
MARTIN PALERMO

That sounds good until he breaks his leg celebrating a goal.

jloome
06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
He means Huckerby was here to visit for one game, to check it out.

BayernTFC
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Land Him? We had him. He played here. He was here for two games and we shipped him out. And he stated unequivocably at the time that he was happy here, he didn't ask to be moved, although the speculation was that he did ask, because of family.
This is exactly the point that I have been making and I have never seen or heard anything that would corroborate the speculation.

We got rights to a kid we've never signed and an undisclosed draft pick for him and now he's the league's top scorer. And he was pretty good last year, too. So basically we gave away one of the league's top strikers for nothing.
An absolute shame. :frown:

BayernTFC
06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
God, that's sad. Kinda puts holding out for Barrett for two months in perspective.
Yeah, it can be easy to criticize Mo. How many of us know what goes on behind the scenes and actually know what he was offered? One would have hoped that he could have received more in return for Huckerby and McBride...I'm sure that Chicago was aware of the need to get a warm body into our lineup and squeezed Mo.

He means Huckerby was here to visit for one game, to check it out.
Okay.

That sounds good until he breaks his leg celebrating a goal.
LMFAO. Stay off the concrete wall!

TFC Tifoso
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
MoJo will sign himself to a DP contract, step down from Director of Soccer and become TFC's striker.

Manpon
06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Well Real Madrid are apparently looking to sell Ruud Van Nistlerooy for a paltry 1.8m pounds, why so cheap I do not know although he was injured for much of last season so they may be worried about his legs? There is no chance he will come to Toronto but I can only dream, he would without a doubt sort out the scoring chances we have. Who knows maybe he will come for the friendly and be bowled over by the grass surface, just make sure no one tells him that it isn't permanent.

post is backed HUGE...you took the words right out of my mouth..i can't believe this went without notice/comment

TFCintheBUFF
06-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Vinnie Jones.

HAHA! Yes!

How about Tor Hogne Aaroy of the Norwegian league. I figured I'd throw in my favorite awkwardly tall striker. He's actually not half bad...for Norway.

Skinner
06-09-2009, 10:50 PM
one of next season's friendlies should be the Danny Dichio testimonial match

I'm hoping he sticks around for one more year....but if he doesn't, a testimonial is an absolute must.

rocker
06-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Buddle's lack of success didn't have to do with TFC as a team. The guy had point blank chances and couldn't score.

The fact is, Buddle's career has been defined by inconsistency. I mean, in 2006 he scored only 6 goals in 28 games.

I just remember him as lazy. He couldn't be bothered, and was then shipped off.

I'm just surprised people are wishing Buddle back... short memories. The guy succeeded less than Chad Barrett with us, but apparently he gets a break. We gave Buddle and Cunningham enough chances (same with Barrett).

S_D
06-09-2009, 11:10 PM

Wasn't his wife a doctor's assistant or something like that and she wasn't able to work here?

Ossington Mental Youth
06-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Wasn't his wife a doctor's assistant or something like that and she wasn't able to work here?

i think youre thinking of Mulrooney

BayernTFC
06-09-2009, 11:56 PM
How about Tor Hogne Aaroy of the Norwegian league. I figured I'd throw in my favorite awkwardly tall striker. He's actually not half bad...for Norway

Holy crap! 6' 8 1/2" tall! I haven't seen this player in action before, but I don't imagine that there are too many players who could compete in the air with this guy.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-10-2009, 12:17 AM
his knees gotta be shot (one of my good buddies is that height and cant run for shit and hes a very fit guy, he stuck to speed skating in his youth)

GhostPK
06-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Clearly there is no replacing the legend that is Danny Dichio, however...
To make it easier, we would want someone with skill and similar initials... Look no further then Didier Drogba.... haha now I'm really dreaming.

felipe
06-10-2009, 08:34 AM
One of those free-kick mannequins would do wonderfully to replace Danny. We'd get the same movement out of it and still retain those wonderful one-touch control passes of Danny's. And think of the savings under the salary cap!

I kid..I kid

Pachuco
06-10-2009, 08:42 AM
A player wanting to go home to play in front of the home town crowd isn't anything out of the ordinary. DeRo wanted the same thing. It doesn't mean management must oblige though. I'd be interested in reading anything that you can find on the matter.

I respect your opinion. Edson Buddle played in the first ten games for a brand new expansion team, that was built from scratch, before he was traded. He started in five of those ten games. Some people think that may not be enough time to evaluate a player properly, but I am sure that LA and Edson are happy where he is. What would we give now for someone who has even a decent touch around the net? What did Mo have to say about Edson after he left?

http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/toronto-acquires-tyrone-marshall-from-galaxy.html

Has Buddle been hurt? because he has 2 goals and not many minutes logged for a terrible team. If he hasn't been hurt, then you really think we need someone who can't start on L.A? I have no doubt that what he did last year you can attribute to Beckham's service.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-10-2009, 08:54 AM
He was hurt for a good portion of the season, that being said im curious to see how he does with out Beckham (i thought the same thing but then again he managed to score on us without Donovan and without Beckham)

InTheCrowd
06-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm still for 20 year old 6ft 8 Yang Changpeng.

Cuz
06-10-2009, 09:03 AM
I thought we drafted O'brien to solve this problem? As if we will be able to keep him longer than a season if he is any good anyway. Mo will sell his ass to Cetic since he owes them one now after hooking up Rangers with Edu. lol

BayernTFC
06-10-2009, 09:54 AM
He was hurt for a good portion of the season, that being said im curious to see how he does with out Beckham (i thought the same thing but then again he managed to score on us without Donovan and without Beckham)
In the 5 games Buddle played in without Beckham last season, he scored twice. In the 5 games Buddle played in last season without Donovan, he scored five times. In the one game Buddle played in last year without Beckham and Donovan, he scored once. Beckham has yet to play for the Galaxy this season, and Buddle has managed to score twice in the 7 games he has played in.

BayernTFC
06-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm still for 20 year old 6ft 8 Yang Changpeng.
I found this article:

The trip is part of the club's strategy to develop the `Bolton brand' in China and strengthen their ties with Chinese Superleague club, Wuhan FC.

Optimistic

However, there is more than just novelty value to Yang and Zhou. Both were earmarked as teenagers with potential by Academy coach Chris Sully on a fact-finding mission behind the Bamboo Curtain.

Yang is a member of China's Under-20s side while Zhou, a lively midfielder, is knocking on the door of the international set-up.

Allardyce, whose son Craig was among the first European professionals to play in China, is cautiously optimistic about their chances.

"They are talented, we can see that. We just want to see whether they can adapt to how this country runs its football," he said.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/bolton_wanderers/s/225/225877_giant_who_looks_down_on_big_sam.html

http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/81.$plit/C_71_Articles_225877_BodyWeb_Detail_0_Image.jpg?18 %2F10%2F2006%2010%3A22%3A48%3A810

Maybe you are on to something???

Ossington Mental Youth
06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Youd think with a country of a billion people there would be some good players, nice to see some finally developing (im sure the corruption surrounding the league hasnt helped)