PDA

View Full Version : Elections/ Do they work??

gracos
06-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I have noticed a style that is used in Seattle, that being upon they have a right to vote their head coach and manager. Would it be a good thing if TFC brought it in, so we could be able to voice our opinions and have a say in what goes on with the Club

flatpicker
06-07-2009, 12:22 PM
^ why don't you ask MLSE about that and see what they think.

FluSH
06-07-2009, 12:27 PM
It's hard to convince someone to look at a different view when their livelihood depends on it...

Keyman
06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Do any other teams around the world implement a similar system? I'd be interested to view their success rates before I offer an opinion.

Waggy
06-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Some clubs do, don't know which off hand outside of I believe Real Madrid. But either way, don't like it. Us fans, we're a fickle and rash bunch. For every time we're right (like I think we are now calling for Mos head), theres 5 times we're wrong (like us loving all Mo's moves in the offseason).

gracos
06-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Seattle got their idea, i believe from the successful FC Barcelona, if someone could say if i am accurate or not, that would greatly be appreciated

TFC RealDeal RPB
06-07-2009, 12:42 PM
It would be nice but not going to happen

boban
06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Do any other teams around the world implement a similar system? I'd be interested to view their success rates before I offer an opinion.
Real Madrid.

CenturySam
06-07-2009, 01:03 PM
i think a system like this would actually 'pro-long' a clubs success with attendance/ratings. it keeps the customer engaged, which helps to maintain the level of interest.

CretanBull
06-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Barcalona, Madrid etc...it's a common system in Spain that has worked well there for decades.

Beach_Red
06-07-2009, 01:38 PM
^ why don't you ask MLSE about that and see what they think.

Do you think MLSE care one way or the other who the manager is? If an election would keep people buying tickets, then they'd have no problem with it.

It might limit the number of guys who'd want to take the job....

rocker
06-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Do you think MLSE care one way or the other who the manager is? If an election would keep people buying tickets, then they'd have no problem with it.

true... it does the hard work for them. And this is exactly what Drew Carey said to Joe Roth when they had their first meeting about ownership.
Carey said something like "we all know when it's time for a new GM.... this way fans do your work for you."

The other thing is, the fan group doesn't hire the new GM. That's still the ownership's prerogative. Not to mention that the new guy gets a least 3-4 years I believe, according to what Carey said. He did not say that the supporters, for example, vote every year on the GM.

I think it would be kinda cool, but it's one of those things that sounds awesome in theory but doesn't quite mean that much in practice.

ochos
06-07-2009, 05:09 PM
how about we vote for new ownership!! I remember someone wrote the other day it would be cool if Basille of RIM owned the club.. well I second that!!

drewski
06-07-2009, 08:13 PM
if I'm not mistaken, the membership for some teams in spain, ie Real Madrid, don't vote directly for coach and gm, they vote for the president, who then appoints those position (or whatever their equivalent is for GM)

TFC_Toon
06-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I have noticed a style that is used in Seattle, that being upon they have a right to vote their head coach and manager. Would it be a good thing if TFC brought it in, so we could be able to voice our opinions and have a say in what goes on with the Club

This is Toronto, MLSE, not going to happen. I do not think it is a good policy anyway, you have a ownership and staff that is expected to do their utmost to provide the best possible product... in theory anyway.

fdasilva
06-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I know it happens in Spain for sure, in Portugal as well.

rocker
06-07-2009, 10:44 PM
how about we vote for new ownership!! I remember someone wrote the other day it would be cool if Basille of RIM owned the club.. well I second that!!

what's so great about Basillie and RIM?

the guy has never owned a pro team before.

I'm glad somebody's trying to bring a hockey team to southern ontario, but that doesn't mean he's a good owner. Actually, the guy seems like a egotistical prick from what I've seen.

ExiledRed
06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
what's so great about Basillie and RIM?

the guy has never owned a pro team before.

I'm glad somebody's trying to bring a hockey team to southern ontario, but that doesn't mean he's a good owner. Actually, the guy seems like a egotistical prick from what I've seen.

egotistical pricks usually make good sports team owners.

BuSaPuNk
06-07-2009, 10:56 PM
egotistical pricks usually make good sports team owners.

Just look at Mark Cuban in Dallas, Geroge Steinbrenner in NY.

ensco
06-08-2009, 12:04 AM
^Mike Ilitch in Detroit (Red Wings), John Henry in Boston (Red Sox, he just married a 26 year old bombshell!), many of the great club Presidents in Europe (eg Perez at Madrid, Berlusconi at Milan)

My dream is that Balsillie buys MLSE at the end of all this. Hard to imagine, but it would be time to break out the lampshades if it ever did happen.

Cashcleaner
06-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Guys, we still have the ability to affect change within the club. While we may not be voting with a ballot, but we do vote with our wallets.

Every dollar we spend on beer, food, merchandise, and tickets is a vote in itself. I don't think we would ever see a situation occur with TFC where season ticket holders will be balloting on choices for GMs or Club Presidents, but that doesn't mean we'll never have any clout with the club.

Pocketbooks are the new political portfolios.

CoachGT
06-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Nice thought, but I think that an election process in the world of North American sport would be ultimately as successful as the election proceses for government.

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Nice thought, but I think that an election process in the world of North American sport would be ultimately as successful as the election proceses for government.
I could barely get back up off the floor after laughing so hard. How true.

drewski
06-08-2009, 07:27 PM

perhaps, but given you have to pay to have the right to vote in the sports world, chances are better that the people voting will be more knowledgeable about the people they are voting about then the general electorate are

tfc007
06-08-2009, 07:41 PM
MAPLE LEAF SPORTS would never agree to elections,because we would get them to actually spend some money.That goes against their buisness model,milk and dont spend money.I say GO FUCK YOURSELVES MAPLE LEAF SPORTS AND GREED!!!