PDA

View Full Version : Nice Job TFC On The Friendlies

grizzle
06-07-2009, 02:45 AM
I know there is a lot of negativity on these boards about the friendlies and how season ticket holders are getting screwed, but I think some thanks is owed for booking 2 solid teams. Regardless if they are your favorite team or not, you have to admit that River and Real Madrid are a huge improvement from year's past. I know they tried hard to bring in quality teams and I think some thanks is due for the hard work that went into this.

I for one say thank you to Paul and whoever was involved on getting 2 great teams this year to come to our city.

Marco2K
06-07-2009, 02:54 AM
how about worrying about winning a game.

canada cup is gone.
playoffs chances are fading.

Congrats TFC

David
06-07-2009, 03:45 AM
I know there is a lot of negativity on these boards about the friendlies and how season ticket holders are getting screwed, but I think some thanks is owed for booking 2 solid teams. Regardless if they are your favorite team or not, you have to admit that River and Real Madrid are a huge improvement from year's past. I know they tried hard to bring in quality teams and I think some thanks is due for the hard work that went into this.

I for one say thank you to Paul and whoever was involved on getting 2 great teams this year to come to our city.

No...

Bobo
06-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Were you hired by ML$E to start this thread? The only reason I can think of for making something so senseless. Like Marco said, our season is going to the dogs and you're congratulating the team on fucking friendly games? Fuck friendly games, games that are going to make things even more difficult for us.

GIZ GUNNER KR
06-07-2009, 07:21 AM
ya as a STH im not too impressed with how things are being run this season. moving of the august 9th game was the icing on the cake for me. my Carlsberg cup ticket has a 110.0 dollar value..i really dont think bringing in river plate is the team for a 110.0 price tag

Mikey
06-07-2009, 07:23 AM

Yeah, thanks for screwing us over and pimping out the teams chances of making the playoffs for the chance to gouge some new mugs.....:canada:

RedMAN127
06-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah, thanks for screwing us over and pimping out the teams chances of making the playoffs for the chance to gouge some new mugs.....:canada:

Are not most other MLS teams also playing friendlies this year? so why is TFC at a disadvantage if this is common throughout the league ...

David
06-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Are not most other MLS teams also playing friendlies this year? so why is TFC at a disadvantage if this is common throughout the league ...

Too easy.

Fushida
06-07-2009, 07:52 AM

because we already have a heavy schedule in the early going and this just jammed more games into an already crowded schedule. if you haven't noticed we've played more games than all other teams in the league, and the players are probably fatigued.

also, because they spit in the fans' and players' faces by installing grass at $250k for real madrid and not the players who have to endure those garbage bounces every game. perhaps some are jizzing in their pants about the prospect of real playing here, but if you wanted to see them for real, go to europe, or watch it on tv. i'd rather see tfc achieve some success than see some overpaid players jog around a pitch trying not to get injured.

Damien
06-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Friendly's are horseshit anyway because you pretty much never see star players. You can slap a Real Madrid or River Plate jersey on any Joe Benchwarmer.

Pachuco
06-07-2009, 08:01 AM
NICE JOB ON THE FRIENDLIES? haha. what a joke. I have a ticket worth $110 face value which I can just about GUARANTEE I will not be able to sell because nobody in their right mind will pay that much to go see River. Maybe if you are a River supporter you would, but there's going to be stiff competition trying to get rid of these tickets.

So thanks for forcing me to write off $110 tickets MLSE, while at the same time making me pay who knows how much for Real Madrid.

Paul, I'd rather you stay off these boards period because next time I see you post I will give you a piece of my mind. Money hungry scumbags.

Fiin
06-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Nice job moving a game back to the most packed part in our schedule Paul.

Nice job getting real grass for a team thats here for a day, as opposed to a team thats here all the time.

Nice job again on the schedule change with MLS.. where was this leg work last year when we had 2 starters on the field vs Chivas?

I'de take the rest period for the boys vs. the pointless money grabbing friendlies, just sayin'.

Kickit09
06-07-2009, 08:32 AM
yes, thank you for forcing us to buy overpriced tickets for River Plate and giving us the choice of buying overpriced tickets for Real Madrid. :rolleyes: because if i could only see one of those two teams it would be River Plate. :rolleyes: thank you MLSE, you sure know how to make your loyal supporters (and players) feel appreciated. :rolleyes:

Eastend
06-07-2009, 08:51 AM
because we already have a heavy schedule in the early going and this just jammed more games into an already crowded schedule. if you haven't noticed we've played more games than all other teams in the league, and the players are probably fatigued.

also, because they spit in the fans' and players' faces by installing grass at $250k for real madrid and not the players who have to endure those garbage bounces every game. perhaps some are jizzing in their pants about the prospect of real playing here, but if you wanted to see them for real, go to europe, or watch it on tv. i'd rather see tfc achieve some success than see some overpaid players jog around a pitch trying not to get injured.

We've may of had more HOME games then anyone else but there are 5 other clubs that have played the same number and 4 others that have played only 1 less.

Club/Games Played
Chicago (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/t100/)13Chivas USA (http://chivas.usa.mlsnet.com/t120/)13D.C. United (http://www.dcunited.com/)13Kansas City (http://kc.wizards.mlsnet.com/t105/)13New York (http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/t107/)13Toronto FC (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/)13Columbus (http://columbus.crew.mlsnet.com/t102/)12Los Angeles (http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/t106/)12Real Salt Lake (http://real.saltlake.mlsnet.com/t121/)12Seattle (http://www.soundersfc.com/)12Colorado (http://www.coloradorapids.com/index.asp)11FC Dallas (http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/t104/)11Houston (http://houston.mlsnet.com/t200/)11San Jose (http://sjearthquakes.mlsnet.com/t110/)11New England (http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/)10

There is a lot to complain about these days and this board is getting tiresome because of it (I'm not saying it isn't warranted either) but this thread is about thanking the club for bringing in 2 quality teams for these friendlies. Not ideal to have them in the middle of our season (and I'll probably skip RM like most of us) but since every other league in the world plays a season opposite ours this is how it is.....for ALL MLS clubs.

Kickit09
06-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Eastend, you're forgetting about the Nutrilite Canadian Championship games. so we've actually played 16 games in total, and there is still 1 more NCC game to play too.

Eastend
06-07-2009, 09:09 AM
You're right I did forget the NCC games....and I'll leave it at that.....

Cashcleaner
06-07-2009, 09:12 AM

I don't see how anyone can reasonably defend the handling of the Real Madrid game. We're changing our MLS schedule for that game but won't do the same for international call-ups. We're trucking in grass apparently because RM won't play on the turf that we're told is good enough for our own players. The list goes on, but you see what I'm getting at.

Personally, I'm cool with River Plate coming up here for our prepaid friendly, but I think that game and the RM friendly are light years apart in terms of what the club and ownership are doing to accomodate them.

Aroundtheworld
06-07-2009, 09:29 AM

Agreed. These are two great teams. Even though the FO hasn't done a good job making a good team, they've done a good job getting some world-class teams. The whining on this board is starting to get really annoying. I'd like to summarize and address each of these points:

People are complaining about the grass. Yes it sucks that it is only coming for Real Madrid, but that's the only way you can get a team like Real Madrid. And there's absolutely no way that temporary stuff can last more than a few games - so forget about using it for the rest of the season. I remember they did that for the Revs stadium during the Gold Cup and the players complained at it coming apart and said that the artificial turf was actually better.

Grass is expensive and it's Real Madrid, so they have to raise ticket prices. And unlike Seattle, BMO only seats 20000. Seattle can offer Chelsea and Barcelona as part of season-ticket packages because they know there will be another 30000 fans their. The ideal would have been having the Real Madrid game at Skydome and keeping it part of the season-ticket package. But Skydome is booked, so it has to be at BMO. And if they did include it in season-ticket packages, they would only be generating additional revenue from 4000 seats. It sucks, but they have to increase prices for it to be economically feasible.

Also MLSE isn't not getting grass for BMO to spite you guys. BMO is community facility because it was largely paid through tax-payer money. To turn BMO into grass, they would have to pay to build another community facility somewhere else, likely nearby. I do not know how much progress has been made on this, but if anything you should be using your energy to make this happen instead of whining like babies about a lack of grass.

I'd just like to conclude that yeah a lot of things aren't ideal: The field should be grass, BMO should seat 30000, Real Madrid should be included in the season ticket packages. But things aren't like this because the FO is malicious, there are understandable reasons why things are like this. I think a lot of this venomous sentiment is due to poor team performances. I think if TFC had won the last three games, there wouldn't be nearly as much anger.

Waggy
06-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Agreed. These are two great teams. Even though the FO hasn't done a good job making a good team, they've done a good job getting some world-class teams. The whining on this board is starting to get really annoying. I'd like to summarize and address each of these points:

(1) People are complaining about the grass. Yes it sucks that it is only coming for Real Madrid, but that's the only way you can get a team like Real Madrid. And there's absolutely no way that temporary stuff can last more than a few games - so forget about using it for the rest of the season. I remember they did that for the Revs stadium during the Gold Cup and the players complained at it coming apart and said that the artificial turf was actually better.

Grass is expensive and it's Real Madrid, so they have to raise ticket prices. And unlike Seattle, BMO only seats 20000. (2) Seattle can offer Chelsea and Barcelona as part of season-ticket packages because they know there will be another 30000 fans their. The ideal would have been having the Real Madrid game at Skydome and keeping it part of the season-ticket package. But Skydome is booked, so it has to be at BMO. And if they did include it in season-ticket packages, they would only be generating additional revenue from 4000 seats. It sucks, but they have to increase prices for it to be economically feasible.

(3) Also MLSE isn't not getting grass for BMO to spite you guys. BMO is community facility because it was largely paid through tax-payer money. To turn BMO into grass, they would have to pay to build another community facility somewhere else, likely nearby. I do not know how much progress has been made on this, but if anything you should be using your energy to make this happen instead of whining like babies about a lack of grass.

I'd just like to conclude that yeah a lot of things aren't ideal: The field should be grass, BMO should seat 30000, Real Madrid should be included in the season ticket packages. But things aren't like this because the FO is malicious, there are understandable reasons why things are like this. (4) I think a lot of this venomous sentiment is due to poor team performances. I think if TFC had won the last three games, there wouldn't be nearly as much anger.

1) Thats not why people are angry. The point is what the FO is basically saying is, our guys aren't important enough to bring grass in for, even though they want it. But Real wants it? Its in. Damn the cost

2) Umm, they made $5 from the Edu transfer, god knows how much from the club in general. They already had STH payments for what, $110 each for a friendly? Soooo whered all that money go? Why are they not just charging for Real, but gauging us for them? 110 x 15000= 1.65 Million. 150 x 22000= 3.3 million. How much do most teams pay Reals B team to come play? Anyone know?

3) See number one. It looks like its to spite the players (who WE support. We don't show up to MLSE meetings to chant after all)

4) Well it sure isn't helping. We aren't seeing improvements in the play on the pitch, and its year 3. We've already gone through 3 coaches, had SO much turnover I can't even guess at this point. Had good draft after good draft, and where are we?

greatwhitenorf
06-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm pleased to see the quality of opponents for this year's friendlies. RP is an outstanding choice.

Maybe the RM game could have been handled better, but still, if they told us before Day One, three years back, that we'd have Real Madrid visit, maybe with Kaka in the lineup, we'd have been spanking the monkey.

But I like how that Friday night date works to free up that weekend. And how the light summer home sked allows us to enjoy weekends up north while letting the team keep the starting roster as intact as possible by keeping conflicts with the Gold Cup to a minimum.

I spent all game yesterday listening to the most juvenile whining and whibbling sounds coming out of supposedly supporters - all RPBs I might add - in 114. Didn't sing, didn't chant, just sat on their scarves, guzzled beer and profanely moaned the game away.

They're watching a club in its infancy while they enjoy a prolonged one themselves.
They say they're not coming to the friendlies. Can't say they'll be missed.

Wagner
06-07-2009, 09:55 AM
call and email the team with your displeasure.
let them know you don't like how things are going.
http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/about/meet_us/

drewski
06-07-2009, 10:04 AM
1) Thats not why people are angry. The point is what the FO is basically saying is, our guys aren't important enough to bring grass in for, even though they want it. But Real wants it? Its in. Damn the cost

3) See number one. It looks like its to spite the players (who WE support. We don't show up to MLSE meetings to chant after all)

bringing in a shitty temp grass pitch is a lot different and easier then converting BMO to grass permanently. The FO doesn't to build a new fieldturf facility on a pricey piece of downtownish land, nor do they need to get apprioval from city hall for a temp grass pitch.

maybe you uys now more then I do and the FO really isn't doing anything to try to get grass, but to me and the whispers i've heard, they are working towards it, but like anything when dealing with government, it takes time

TFC_Toon
06-07-2009, 10:48 AM
The way things are going at the moment I think I would prefer to see Real Madrid v River.

Get In There
06-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm going to enjoy the call to my ticket rep on Monday

B

TFC*FAN
06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Were you hired by ML$E to start this thread? The only reason I can think of for making something so senseless. Like Marco said, our season is going to the dogs and you're congratulating the team on fucking friendly games? Fuck friendly games, games that are going to make things even more difficult for us.

With all the negativity and bitching, a little appreciation where some feel it is due should be as welcomed as voicing the complaints.

What gives you the right to knock this guy for giving his opinion - it's just as valid as yours.

And you know what, it's not MLSE's fault for our most recent losses. It's not the owner's fault that yesterday Wynne and Guevara were away on intl duty, and Attakora was out. Or that we lost 2-0 to Vancouver. We ARE the better team, we just didn't capitalize and they did.

I know the issues run FAR deeper, but it's funny how when we lose, it seems correlated to the feeling that everything sucks - our team, our management, our ownership, our stadium.

Heaven forbid we lose a few games and some of us try to pick out some positives in the meantime.

Kickit09
06-07-2009, 11:38 AM
"We don’t get that respect, It’s one of those things where you look at it as a player and you’re disappointed that it takes a team like Real Madrid to come here to get grass, We work hard everyday here … day in, day out. We deserve grass.” - Dwayne De Rosario

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=196&pictureid=1624

DERO TELLS NO LIES

rocker
06-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Not that I care about friendlies, but River Plate and Real Madrid are definitely great teams to be playing.

I think that's what the thread author intentioned. But I guess the ideologues can't concede that point ;)

ilikemusic
06-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Who cares about the team right?

Friendlies are what really matters.

I am really hoping they price out the ass on the Madrid tickets and struggle to sell them.

A 'Bills in Toronto' kind of ticket debacle would just be amazing!

olegunnar
06-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Were you hired by ML$E to start this thread?.

You never know

This place is the f-ing truman show.

Maybe we can have another poll....how old are you...where are you from...how far would you go to see the team play....what ethnicity are you...

and then environics can process it and sell it to their client... ML$E

TFCmatty
06-07-2009, 11:53 AM
River Plate and Real Madrid are two of the biggest clubs in the world, and having them come play at BMO is surely a massive feat and fulfills FO's promise of bringing in quality international teams to play TFC....

BUT...

That fact of the matter is that these friendlies should NOT be considered a priority, especially with dwindling playoff hopes, and scheduled in the middle of an important stretch of games that will no doubt only have a negative effect on the team....

The Madrid friendly itself is little more than a cash grab, $100+ per ticket for a game that in all actuality means absolutely nothing, and don't even get me started on the grass thats being brought in for one game...

Its time to get out priorities in line, im sick of what appears to be MoJo's 5 year plan, change needs to happen now and it needs to start with the front office

Pookie
06-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Nice job again on the schedule change with MLS.. where was this leg work last year when we had 2 starters on the field vs Chivas?

I hadn't thought about that but it is an excellent point.

I'm starting to if the real upset isn't with paying the premium to see Real Madrid... it's paying the premium to see the team Real Madrid is playing.

Dirk Diggler
06-07-2009, 11:55 AM
You never know

This place is the f-ing truman show.

Maybe we can have another poll....how old are you...where are you from...how far would you go to see the team play....what ethnicity are you...

and then environics can process it and sell it to their client... ML$E

LOL I completely agree. It wouldn't surprise me to know that there are more MLSE employees on this board than just Paul Beirne. Heck, it would surprise me if there weren't.

ExiledRed
06-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm pleased to see the quality of opponents for this year's friendlies. RP is an outstanding choice.

Maybe the RM game could have been handled better, but still, if they told us before Day One, three years back, that we'd have Real Madrid visit, maybe with Kaka in the lineup, we'd have been spanking the monkey.

But I like how that Friday night date works to free up that weekend. And how the light summer home sked allows us to enjoy weekends up north while letting the team keep the starting roster as intact as possible by keeping conflicts with the Gold Cup to a minimum.

I spent all game yesterday listening to the most juvenile whining and whibbling sounds coming out of supposedly supporters - all RPBs I might add - in 114. Didn't sing, didn't chant, just sat on their scarves, guzzled beer and profanely moaned the game away.

They're watching a club in its infancy while they enjoy a prolonged one themselves.
They say they're not coming to the friendlies. Can't say they'll be missed.

I think after subjecting us to your self righteous, pompous, overstretched prosaic monologues for three years, you should be able to put up with a few whining and whibbling noises.

Like I said, enjoy the Real Madrid match just don't cheer to loudly when they score on us.

I think it's sad you should be so starstruck by the spanish runners up, but there you are.

jimiv
06-07-2009, 12:10 PM
If the ethnic breakdown of Toronto is English, 16.9 %, Scottish, 11.1 %, Irish, 10.5 %, Chinese, 9.4 %, Italian, 9.2 %, East Indian, 7.4 %, French, 4.7 %, German, 4.7 %, Portuguese, 3.7 %, Polish, 3.6 %. Would it not be reasonable that MLSE choose teams from a league that people gave a shit about, I understand Real Madrid, but other then MLS HO, Pablo Vitti and a handfull of people does anyone really get excited to tell their friends that TFC is playing “River Plate".

FluSH
06-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Congrats to Paul Bernie.... you have sold an EXCELLENT product... although you have absolutely no say or pull in the actual operations and performance of the team.... (because you only deal with the Business side..) You keep selling us GREAT stuff...

Keep up the good work!

/SARCASM

Fiin
06-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Its not the quality of teams in the friendlies that people are pissed about, its the level of taking it dry in the stinker we are taking to get them and how much its disrespectful to the players and fans of TFC...

jimiv
06-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Its not the quality of teams in the friendlies that people are pissed about, its the level of taking it dry in the stinker we are taking to get them and how much its disrespectful to the players and fans of TFC...

no, it's both

grizzle
06-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Meh, I guess I kinda expected this to happen. I was just trying to encourage more positive thinking on here, but I guess that is hopeless. I personally think the team is just going through a rough patch now. Things will get better, but a lot of people need to drop the given up all hope on the team attitude. If you are really not that happy I hope you don't renew your season tickets and complain through every possible channel, but I can guarantee most of you complainers will be back to do this again next season regardless of the outcome of this one.

As "supporters" we need to stand behind the team through the good AND bad times. Complaining about the FO is one thing, but constantly bitching about players and the team itself is getting really annoying. No matter how much you complain, its not going to change anything about that, that is for the management to decide. Complain about them more instead.

As for the Canadian Championship, its not over yet.

Super
06-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I would GLADLY trade the 2 friendlies in for 3 points.

Fiin
06-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I would GLADLY trade the 2 friendlies in for 3 points.

I would trade them both of for nothing to give the guys abit of a rest.

gracos
06-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree I would like to see one, but I do get to see my first TFC game next saturday, I know we are not sporting a good line up but however we do have to support TFC through thick and thin however as far as I am concerned MO and the FO are not.

jimiv
06-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Just for the record it's not TFC I'm bitching about, it's their business decisions, FO puts up pictures of their fans as a symbol of how great the business is doing and what a great success TFC is in Toronto - meanwhile they are doing nothing to keep their only "success" happy.

:scarf:

Fiin
06-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I agree I would like to see one, but I do get to see my first TFC game next saturday, I know we are not sporting a good line up but however we do have to support TFC through thick and thin however as far as I am concerned MO and the FO are not.

Hope its an enjoyable game for yah man. Even thru all the shit, its still the best thing in life, which is why we are all so fierce about it.

torontocelt
06-07-2009, 01:02 PM
If the ethnic breakdown of Toronto is English, 16.9 %, Scottish, 11.1 %, Irish, 10.5 %, Chinese, 9.4 %, Italian, 9.2 %, East Indian, 7.4 %, French, 4.7 %, German, 4.7 %, Portuguese, 3.7 %, Polish, 3.6 %. Would it not be reasonable that MLSE choose teams from a league that people gave a shit about, I understand Real Madrid, but other then MLS HO, Pablo Vitti and a handfull of people does anyone really get excited to tell their friends that TFC is playing “River Plate".

River Plate and Boca are the most well known clubs in Argentina. River Plate is a club rich in history and over the years have had some of the worlds best players play for them. If you go to wikipedia and read about some of the names who have even played for them in the past 15 years you should be quite impressed. A couple of years ago they won the closing half of the Argentine league although they have not done so well since. I am quite excited to see them, if your friends are not familiar with River Plate and their history then they probably don't know that much about football. Certainly when I tell my mates in Scotland they will be suitably impressed.

SilverSamurai
06-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd rather watch RP over RM to be honest.Before everyone gets all up and crazy, let me say why.
RM will likely NOT have all their starters play (I'd think 5 tops) so while I don't think it'll be a boring game, it's just a bunch of subs really.
As for the price, ya it'll probably be more, but it's still a lot cheaper then going to Spain and watching them there! (Actually if the prices start at 150, and a flight to Madrid is $400, it may not be all that far off... until you add in the hotel...)

And remember the face value of your RP game isn't the same as what you actually pay!
I hope to be able to go to see the RP match!
(no the world isn't perfect) and I would be willing to give up both friendlies for a win against Vancouver... but anyways...

jimiv
06-07-2009, 01:27 PM
River Plate and Boca are the most well known clubs in Argentina. River Plate is a club rich in history and over the years have had some of the worlds best players play for them. If you go to wikipedia and read about some of the names who have even played for them in the past 15 years you should be quite impressed. A couple of years ago they won the closing half of the Argentine league although they have not done so well since. I am quite excited to see them, if your friends are not familiar with River Plate and their history then they probably don't know that much about football. Certainly when I tell my mates in Scotland they will be suitably impressed.

I pretty sure my friends know as much about football as the average Canadian football fan does - but honestly deep down without thinking of TFC's final decision can you think of 20 other teams you would rather see, I know I can.

Besides, are they not trying to get "average" people interested into the sport in Toronto, my point is go to the leagues that your population supports.

Don Julio
06-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Nobody paid $110 for their friendly ticket in their season ticket package. Stop being deliberately obtuse.

Roogsy
06-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Ok guys, the original poster of this thread obviously had the purpose of having a thread applauding the FO for bringin in a big team...which I agree with is normally a good thing.

So let's keep the comments in this thread inline with the purpose of the OP. If you want to crap on the RM friendly...I am not sure but I think we have threads for that. :D

Keep things on topic please. This is the only warning.

drewski
06-07-2009, 03:38 PM
I'd rather watch RP over RM to be honest.Before everyone gets all up and crazy, let me say why.
RM will likely NOT have all their starters play (I'd think 5 tops) so while I don't think it'll be a boring game, it's just a bunch of subs really.

thats a fair opinion but to me, looking at their roster, their subs aren't exactly no name, and even those who are no names are still pretty damn good

druid
06-07-2009, 03:43 PM

I'd say there are at least two or three of you...

GIZ GUNNER KR
06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Nobody paid $110 for their friendly ticket in their season ticket package. Stop being deliberately obtuse.

well they shouldnt have put a value on the ticket then..no one will pay 110.0 for a river plate ticket.

WestStandGeoff
06-07-2009, 04:34 PM

Well the club seats are valued at $176 for the friendly, and my reds have a face value of $140... not to mention the rediculously priced field level seats that range anywhere from $210 - $360. If you point is that SSH never pay face-value for their tickets, then I agree with you. But to go as far as saying that 'nobody' paid $110 for this friendly is far from correct.

http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/single_game/

Way to check your facts before hurling insults. Ironic that you are the one being obtuse.

Mikey
06-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Well done MLSE.
Thank you so much for arranging a home game for Real Madrid fans at BMO.

Awesome!

smeghead
06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
fuck these friendlies.

ExiledRed
06-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I pretty sure my friends know as much about football as the average Canadian football fan does - but honestly deep down without thinking of TFC's final decision can you think of 20 other teams you would rather see, I know I can.

I agree watching an elite team run circles around a minnow is sometimes entertaining, but usually only if you actually support the big team, NEVER if you support the minnow.

If we got in a team from Australia or the J-league, that MIGHT be entertaining, because the outcome is much less predictable and it's not clear if the quality of those leagues is superior to MLS or not.

River Plate is a great team, and they'll be a harder opponent than RM, because they'll take the game more seriously. I wish we didn't have to face them with our squad. Why is it so important that we fight above our weight, for nothing but pride twice a year anyway?

TFC_Toon
06-07-2009, 10:08 PM
River Plate is a great team, and they'll be a harder opponent than RM, because they'll take the game more seriously. I wish we didn't have to face them with our squad. Why is it so important that we fight above our weight, for nothing but pride twice a year anyway?

Please don't take me wrong but we really don't belong on the same pitch as these teams, and I bleed red.

Blizzard
06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
You know guys, there is one positive about the schedule change that nobody has touched on.

Guess where Amado is going to be on the Aug 7-9 weekend! He is going to be with Honduras and was going to miss our match with NYRB.

As a result of the schedule change, Amado is now available to play against NYRB and judging by the way the team has played of late without Amado in the line-up, this is a bloody nice turn of events.

So, thanks to the FO for ensuring that Amado is available for a league match that he was going to miss!

:)

B

Blizzard
06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Meh, I guess I kinda expected this to happen. I was just trying to encourage more positive thinking on here, but I guess that is hopeless. I personally think the team is just going through a rough patch now. Things will get better, but a lot of people need to drop the given up all hope on the team attitude. If you are really not that happy I hope you don't renew your season tickets and complain through every possible channel, but I can guarantee most of you complainers will be back to do this again next season regardless of the outcome of this one.

As "supporters" we need to stand behind the team through the good AND bad times. Complaining about the FO is one thing, but constantly bitching about players and the team itself is getting really annoying. No matter how much you complain, its not going to change anything about that, that is for the management to decide. Complain about them more instead.

As for the Canadian Championship, its not over yet.

No it's not and I think that we are going to see a TFC that will pull out all stops to get the required result. I'm really looking forward to seeing Amado in the line-up on the 18th.

Now, in regards to the topic of the thread, I agree! The FO did very well. It's sad that the original rumoured plans of Barca at Skydome didn't pan out as that would have been world class but this will do too! :)

Honestly, I don't know if I'll shell out the money for Real Madrid but I simply cannot "hate" the FO for doing this. Imagine how people would "freak out man" if they heard through the rumour mill that'd we'd turned down the opportunity to play Real Madrid.

IMO, it was a "can't win" situation for the FO. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

B

TFC_Toon
06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
You know guys, there is one positive about the schedule change that nobody has touched on.

Guess where Amado is going to be on the Aug 7-9 weekend! He is going to be with Honduras and was going to miss our match with NYRB.

As a result of the schedule change, Amado is now available to play against NYRB and judging by the way the team has played of late without Amado in the line-up, this is a bloody nice turn of events.

So, thanks to the FO for ensuring that Amado is available for a league match that he was going to miss!

:)

B

That's a positive, well in.

ExiledRed
06-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Please don't take me wrong but we really don't belong on the same pitch as these teams, and I bleed red.

Of course we don't.

I think the people who really want to see it happen, feel that if their team plays one of these teams for any reason, even a pointless friendly or a charity match, we are validated.

It's bullshit. Even if we beat RM 5-0, we'll still be a two bit inconsistent team that can't win the NCC against teams with half the salary, plays on plastic and exists purely to make up the numbers in MLS, bringing in the cash while the poorly supported teams get the talent.

CretanBull
06-07-2009, 10:53 PM

Let me start by saying that I don't really care who the opponent is, because regardless I'm going to be there for our team - not the visitors.

I'm fine with seeing River play, but having said that selling the team on their history is weak. They're a good team, but haven't been a great team since the late 80's or early 90's. If you lived in South America and were a hockey fan (??) and you were offered a chance to see a NHL team play would you be excited to see the current Leafs, based on the fact that they were once great? Would it be fair to try to represent them as Detroit (who are great)?

River Plate are a good team and it will be fun to see them play, but they shouldn't be presented as something that they are not...it's almost insulting to the guys that play for them now.

SilverSamurai
06-07-2009, 10:54 PM
thats a fair opinion but to me, looking at their roster, their subs aren't exactly no name, and even those who are no names are still pretty damn good

Agreed.
But even if we won, i'd hurt more for not beating VanCity when we had the chance... :(

greatwhitenorf
06-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Even if we beat RM 5-0, we'll still be a two bit inconsistent team that can't win the NCC against teams with half the salary, plays on plastic and exists purely to make up the numbers in MLS, bringing in the cash while the poorly supported teams get the talent.

Simply can't believe a man of your calibre would stoop to watch such stuff, leagues below the dazzle of Atletico Benitez.

Must be like missionary work, eh?

Vaya con carne, vaquero.

ensco
06-08-2009, 12:00 AM
It's bullshit. Even if we beat RM 5-0, we'll still be a two bit inconsistent team that can't win the NCC against teams with half the salary, plays on plastic and exists purely to make up the numbers in MLS, bringing in the cash while the poorly supported teams get the talent.

That's a fantastic rant. Can't believe you didn't work Barrett into it somewhere.

Some similarities to Bill Murray's great speech in Meatballs!

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Simply can't believe a man of your calibre would stoop to watch such stuff, leagues below the dazzle of Atletico Benitez.

Must be like missionary work, eh?

Vaya con carne, vaquero.

More like the missionary position, but doggy style describes it best.

Supporting Liverpool has as much to do with my opinions on the friendly as Iraq had to do with 9/11. If Liverpool had been the chosen opponent, I'd still be pissed off with ownership.

I'm more concerned with TFC's success in competitions, than ejaculating over 'the most fabled side in history' as it embarrasses our players.

you?

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 12:21 AM
That's a fantastic rant. Can't believe you didn't work Barrett into it somewhere.

Some similarities to Bill Murray's great speech in Meatballs!

"It's bullshit. Even if we beat RM 5-0, we'll still be a two bit inconsistent team that can't win the NCC against teams with half the salary, plays on plastic and exists purely to make up the numbers in MLS, bringing in the cash while the poorly supported teams get the talent, and we'd still be a team that cuts the pay of it's best forward so that it's worst can get an increase and a four year contract!"

There you go E, revised.

Unlike ownership, I respond to suggestions on how to improve a product.

ensco
06-08-2009, 12:24 AM
What will the players be paid for the Real Madrid game?

Rant is now perfect. I'd make it my signature if I'd come up with that....

Cashcleaner
06-08-2009, 01:00 AM
^ My guess is that it's a cut from the gate money. I can't think of any other way they get compensation when you figure the league really doesn't have a hand in the handling of friendlies.

greatwhitenorf
06-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Ex.

Me? I accept the fact that this team will do no serious recruiting and building until the turf is replaced by the real stuff. If you refer back to my series of posts in year one - you've probably memorized them - you'll see I took a strong position about this, something that often received dog's abuse from really knowledgeable people like Rudi from U-Sector among many others.

Until that most fundamental aspect of life with TFC changes, nothing serious is going to happen. So why worry and froth about a few inconveniences in the very early going?

I just enjoy the fact that, after a long absence, we've got pro soccer back in town, despite the best efforts of certain media entities to keep it away. And that it will soon spawn more Canadian MLS teams to their further inconvenience.

I enjoy it's better-than-ever media coverage, a reflection of the game's growth nationwide that has, over the past decade, seen it double it's registered players to almost one million, twice the number of hockey players, a sport that has remained disturbingly stagnant over that same period.

I enjoy the fact that pro soccer is about to become viable across Canada and that there are some terrific kids coming out of our local soccer systems that will get to play - having grown up wanting to play - in that framework.

Some might be fixated with our minor troubles on the field this season. Me? I look for bigger pictures, wider landscapes, longer timeframes.

And, with those kinds of underpinnings supporting my enjoyment of soccer, I take comfort that we have built and sustained enough interest in soccer that friendlies like this summer's pair are possible and watchable con mucho gusto.

Hasta lluego, hombre de acero.

Fort York Redcoat
06-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Congrats on trying to start a positive thread about friendlies, friend. I hope all who enjoy the visiting teams have fun and our players don't get hurt.

If only the league didn't mandate these midseason friendlies we could get over ridiculous comparisons of skill level and concentrate on building a competitive team through real (not Real) international competition.

This mandate is confusing. The league markets all sesason long that we play in a NA way for NA fans of other sports but then break the bank to point to these visiting teams as what we as a team should aspire to. One could see it as covering all the bases (NA fans and long time international fans) but to me it's hedging bets.

Chevy
06-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Interesting article from River's site, which also suggests that they will also be playing Juventus in Toronto...

http://www.riverplate.com/Blogs/River-News--English-/3458-river-ties-with-argentinos-in-la-paternal.html