PDA

View Full Version : Next 3 games decide the season

nimamalek
06-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Our current standing is pretty misleading considering most of the league has played less games than us. If teams who have yet to play go
%50 we'll probably be on the outside looking in. If we dont get 6 points from the next 3 games I think we can kiss the playoffs good-bye, since we're playing 2 of the weakest teams in the league and most of our remaining games after the next 3 will be away games.

rocker
06-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Definitely a key stretch but no stretch is ever vital.
Red Bullshitters have an awful stretch coming up, with so many road games including those 2 against TFC at BMO. They should (should!) be ripe for the picking... (I say *should*) ;)

I'm also interested in keeping an eye on what Superliga and Champions League do to other MLS teams. Yes, we've played a lot of games so far. But we don't have to play in Superliga, and probably won't be in Champions League :( Not to mention US Open Cup.

So 8 MLS teams have a pretty congested summer/fall stretch, which should keep them from running away with things.

stugautz
06-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Really? It's only June!

Redpunkfiddle
06-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Actually no.

Case in point- we went winless in 13 of 14 games at one point last season and only missed the playoffs by a few points. Its just that close in this league, and we are playing in the pack right now.

That is not to say I am expecting less than 9 points from these games.

But thanks for the drama laden thread title.

bhoybobby
06-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Actually no.

Case in point- we went winless in 13 of 14 games at one point last season and only missed the playoffs by a few points. Its just that close in this league, and we are playing in the pack right now.

What a relief, so we're right on track then eh?

Give yer head a shake, we're seven shades of shite

Fiin
06-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Really? It's only June!

Dont forget last season bro.... we said the same thing when we started sliding last yr.. and I dont recall watching red in the playoffs.

Fiin
06-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Actually no.

Missing by 1, or missing by 100, is still missing.

billyfly
06-06-2009, 08:07 PM
See this thread.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12155

Saturday’s biggest games

Total swing: Adds up the "chance in playoffs" swing (difference between best and worst case outcomes) this game has on all teams. (Or chance of winning the title for non-playoff leagues.)

Game
Total swingLeague
Toronto FCvsGalaxy4:00 PM 67 MLS (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS.html)
WizardsvsCrew8:30 PM 61 MLS
Real Salt LakevsRapids10:00 PM 49 MLS
IslandersvsCity Stars7:00 PM 42
USL (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/USL.html)RhinosvsThunder8:35 PM 29
USLCD ChivasvsSounders10:30 PM 24 MLS
TigersvsAngels7:05 PM 23 MLB (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/MLB.html)
Red SoxvsRangers7:10 PM 22 MLB
YankeesvsRays1:05 PM 19 MLB
BravesvsBrewers7:00 PM 17 MLB

Beach_Red
06-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Missing by 1, or missing by 100, is still missing.

Would it be a good thing if this team slipped into the playoffs?

Fiin
06-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Would it be a good thing if this team slipped into the playoffs?

Honestly, I really dont know... my draft pick right brain says prolly not.. my supporter/left brain says yes.. its like when you are rebuilding.. its 6 of 1, or half dozen of the other I think... but I think at this point, for us to have a claim to legitimacy, it prolly would help the team. And the extra revenue/exposure would mire another excuse for no grass..

giambac
06-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Our current standing is pretty misleading considering most of the league has played less games than us. If teams who have yet to play go
%50 we'll probably be on the outside looking in. If we dont get 6 points from the next 3 games I think we can kiss the playoffs good-bye, since we're playing 2 of the weakest teams in the league and most of our remaining games after the next 3 will be away games.

So we don't make the palyoffs . Big Deal.... It's only year 3 of Mo's 5 year plan. Now do you see how silly all you guys were when I was calling for his an Carvers head.

Year 3 and still no playoff hope
'
Year 3 and still no goal scorer
year 3 and we stil can't beat Montreal or Vancouver for the Canada Cup.

Other than the above this team is fucken amazing.

Southsider
06-06-2009, 10:08 PM
So we don't make the palyoffs . Big Deal.... It's only year 3 of Mo's 5 year plan. Now do you see how silly all you guys were when I was calling for his an Carvers head.

'

Actually, if anything it makes me understand why Carver quit when he did.
Maybe he saw what was happening and was tired of the broken promises coming from the F.O.

Roogsy
06-06-2009, 10:10 PM

I'd have to agree with this summary.

Although there is only one way to get 6 points from 3 games...win 2.

And the way this team is playing...it ain't gonna happen.

Roogsy
06-06-2009, 10:12 PM

'

You were calling for Carver's head and he is gone and we still suck...so you calling for Carver's head doesn't make one bit of difference. You're trying to give us an "I told you so" but there is nothing that backs up your point of view. Truth is...your rantings didn't make sense back then and they don't now.

ExiledRed
06-06-2009, 10:34 PM
You were calling for Carver's head and he is gone and we still suck...so you calling for Carver's head doesn't make one bit of difference. You're trying to give us an "I told you so" but there is nothing that backs up your point of view. Truth is...your rantings didn't make sense back then and they don't now.

It's not like they replaced Carver, with anybody other than Carver's trainee assistant.

I'm sure Giambac's plan was to replace Carver with an experienced coach, not just plug the gap with a less experienced one.

trane
06-06-2009, 10:40 PM
nimalek assessment is right. Further, as I have been ranting for days, we have seven home games left. We are what, 3-3-2 at home hardly spetacular. We have to win almost every remaning home game, to have a chance, seeing our historic road record is not stellar. Particullary in long steches of road play.

ensco
06-07-2009, 09:15 AM
It's not like they replaced Carver, with anybody other than Carver's trainee assistant.

I'm sure Giambac's plan was to replace Carver with an experienced coach, not just plug the gap with a less experienced one.

This issue is what's causing me to conclude that Mo needs to be replaced. Mo's hiring of Carver, it's becoming apparent, is a hole that we can't dig out of.

Nuvinho
06-07-2009, 09:18 AM
so now the next 2 games are vital ;)

I bet after Saturday, we'll say the next game is vital....haha!!!

drek
06-07-2009, 02:39 PM
With guevara and wynne back for NYRB I'd like to think we have the game in the bag.

*replays saturdays game in head*

Well, maybe.

nimamalek
06-07-2009, 04:40 PM
uhhg, so now we need to beat the Shit Bulls back to back to get back into the playoff picture. After the LA game we're on the outside looking in with a couple of teams below us still holding more games in hand. I know some of you thought this thread was a little too dramatic but considering we rarely win on the road I dont think its too unreasonable to say the next 2 games are must wins or TFC's playoff dream is gone.

kaos197O
06-07-2009, 04:58 PM
uhhg, so now we need to beat the Shit Bulls back to back to get back into the playoff picture. After the LA game we're on the outside looking in with a couple of teams below us still holding more games in hand. I know some of you thought this thread was a little too dramatic but considering we rarely win on the road I dont think its too unreasonable to say the next 2 games are must wins or TFC's playoff dream is gone.

and we don't have a good track record against last place teams now do we? things look bad!

Nuvinho
06-07-2009, 07:04 PM
is Wynne back or off to the Confederation Cup?

nimamalek
06-08-2009, 08:54 AM
is Wynne back or off to the Confederation Cup?
after his last performance I dont expect him playing for the US team for a long time