PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Aberdeen Ace to Sign for Toronto FC

Jack
06-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Ex-Aberdeen FC ace to sign for Toronto

Published: 06/06/2009

OFFER: Former Aberdeen FC midfielder Jamie Smith.

More Pictures

FORMER Aberdeen FC star Jamie Smith is set to complete a move to MLS side Toronto FC after impressing during a trial period at the Canadian side.
The former Aberdeen FC midfielder has been on the lookout for a new club after failing to win a new deal with Aberdeen FC after a season plagued by injury.
Smith was invited for a four-day trial period at Toronto, who sit third in the Eastern Division standings.
Now Toronto head coach Chris Cummins will formerly offer Smith a deal.
Aberdeen FC skipper Scott Severin, whose contract has also expired at Pittodrie, is still looking for a new club with Norwich, Burnley and Peterborough linked.
Source (http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1249919?UserKey=)

H Bomb
06-06-2009, 09:56 AM
"Chris Cummins will formerly offer Smith a deal"

that's quality reporting

spezz44
06-06-2009, 09:57 AM
^^ nice find, dont no anything about the guy, so its not really fair to me to comment on him. Hopefully the injuries are all healed up and hes ready to make a run into the playoffs. Could we see someone moved because of this?? I think so.

Raging Reggie
06-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Do we really need more midfielders? what about a striker who can bury it in the back of the ol onion bag!

Beach_Red
06-06-2009, 09:58 AM

that's quality reporting

Hey, it passed the spell check ;).

Lucky Strike
06-06-2009, 09:59 AM
He's described as a forward by some news sources; hopefully he can actually put the ball in the net on a consistent basis.

ag futbol
06-06-2009, 10:04 AM

that's quality reporting
I wouldn't be too quick to judge, could just as easily be the editor.

In terms of "do we need another mid". Yes, our wing play has been absolute crap. Playing non-natural wingers on the outsides has been a stop gap. The guys we have playing there aren't providing the width we should be getting, or the pace we should have to facilitate a quick counter attack.

Is this guy the answer? I strongly have my doubts. The words inconsistant and often injured come to mind. If this doesn't pan out i'll be pretty critical as the warning signs are pretty apparent prior to signing.

Jack
06-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Do we really need more midfielders? what about a striker who can bury it in the back of the ol onion bag!
We do need a striker, but we also need more depth.

Ricketts and Johan Smith are not cutting it.

When Amado was out, our midfield couldn't click. But Smith might take the wide role and allow DeRo to drop back when Amado is up.

This is an upgrade over what we have (Smith/Ricketts) so I'll take it.

Still need the striker but I think everyone at the team knows that and is working to find the right one.

Ageroo
06-06-2009, 10:08 AM
hmmm...showering up and heading down to the tailgate I hope to see all there.....but this is good news. Hopefully this helps with the depth issues we are seeming to have coming off the bench right now.

Yohan
06-06-2009, 10:10 AM
We do need a striker, but we also need more depth.

Ricketts and Johan Smith are not cutting it.

When Amado was out, our midfield couldn't click. But Smith might take the wide role and allow DeRo to drop back when Amado is up.

This is an upgrade over what we have (Smith/Ricketts) so I'll take it.

Still need the striker but I think everyone at the team knows that and is working to find the right one.
spot on, el jefe

smith and ricketts have been oxygen thieves on the bench for us this year

no harm with giving this dude a shot. he can't be worse than stepover smith and rosy ricketts

Bobo
06-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Don't like this, especially if we switch to a 4-4-2. I want a CB and ST! Hopefully he won't command much more than Ricketts.

TFC07
06-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Meh....

All I know about Smith is that he is an injury prone.

Yohan
06-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Don't like this, especially if we switch to a 4-4-2. I want a CB and ST! Hopefully he won't command much more than Ricketts.
and what's wrong with 4-4-2, esp now that 4-3-3 isn't all that it's cracked out to be

werewolf
06-06-2009, 10:26 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Smith_(footballer_born_1980 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Smith_%28footballer_born_1980))

12 goals in 81 games. Not exactly Der Bomber, but who knows in MLS...if adding depth to the midfield, Ricketts and/or Johann (more likely Ricketts) is probably going to go.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately for Jamie injuries have really derailed a promising career along with signing at Celtic where he couldn't crack their first team. This turf will not help him at all!

In 11 years as a pro, he's only played 160 games!!! 15 a year!!!

Severin is the guy we want! Tough...versitle...leader...and in the same time, has played more than double the games...he and Serioux would be monsters...

Hope it works out...

Bobo
06-06-2009, 10:33 AM
and what's wrong with 4-4-2, esp now that 4-3-3 isn't all that it's cracked out to be

Where are we going to play De Ro? Not at his best position, that's for sure. Guevara will be more restricted. And we're supposed to rely even more heavily on Barrett to score goals? No thanks. If Smith can play in a 4-3-3 (which supposedly he can't) then fine otherwise this may not be worth the cap strain unless he takes Rohan's salary, the money can't possibly be further wasted.

EDIT - Ya actually money can be further wasted....

Mikey
06-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Is this the guy who is injured so much his own teams fans nickname him Tampax? (He's in for one week, then out for the next three....)

Sounds like a great signing :flare::drum: :rolleyes:

ExiledRed
06-06-2009, 10:42 AM
If they don't have a problem with the turf, I don't trust 'em.

ensco
06-06-2009, 10:59 AM
^The players can't speak their minds about turf, unless they have the stature of a DeRo, I think. We have some evidence of that.

Pachuco
06-06-2009, 11:00 AM
hmmm...I'll state my opinion on this guy when I see him play a couple of games. However, I can just about guarantee we are about to see Ricketts getting released if the contract negotiations become serious.

ensco
06-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I can just about guarantee we are about to see Ricketts getting released if the contract negotiations become serious.

Yes, exit visas are imminent for twittergate

SilverSamurai
06-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Still think we should be after Gerba...

Hopefully this new dude will be able to help out and not have his knees blow apart on account of the turf.. lol

rocker
06-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I'll reserve judgement until I see him play. But if this guy is better than Ricketts, I am perfectly OK with releasing Ricketts next month. Even if Smith is an on-again off-again injury problem, it's not like Ricketts was playing much at all. If Smith can play more games than Ricketts is, and at a higher level, it'll be worth it. Who knows.

I don't get my hopes up on any new player, because it's about being the right fit in the team.

Beach_Red
06-06-2009, 11:27 AM
^The players can't speak their minds about turf, unless they have the stature of a DeRo, I think. We have some evidence of that.

Makes sense. I can't say whatever I think about the management where I work, but others can.

Last week I was watching auditions for a TV show - you can ask actors if they can do anything - rollerblade, skydive, play the saxaphone - they'll always say yes if they really want the job. It may be the same for athletes, the ones that really want to play (and don't have many other options) won't let the turf stop them.

Someday TFC will be past this, but it's where we are now.

bhoybobby
06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
He's an injury waiting to happen. A decent player who is very, very injury prone. Nothing close to being a goal scorer.

Dirk Diggler
06-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Seems like another disappointment in the making ... I'd be VERY surprised if he manages to impress in any sense of the word.

TicTacTabarnack
06-06-2009, 09:21 PM

Ding ding ding!

noochie
06-07-2009, 12:03 AM
If they don't have a problem with the turf, I don't trust 'em.

He must have iron knees and a knack for handling 6ft bouncy balls.

Stryker
06-07-2009, 12:11 AM
If he really did "trial" there must be something to him or we wouldn't sign him.
Look how many guys trialed in preseason and were sent packing. Some guys didn't even last past the first day.
If the price is right, and he's an upgrade on what we have I'm willing to roll the dice.
This is the kind of chance you have to take when your club isn't a primiere destination.

noochie
06-07-2009, 12:36 AM
If he really did "trial" there must be something to him or we wouldn't sign him.
Look how many guys trialed in preseason and were sent packing. Some guys didn't even last past the first day.
If the price is right, and he's an upgrade on what we have I'm willing to roll the dice.
This is the kind of chance you have to take when your club isn't a primiere destination.

True, except he is 5'6 oft-injured midfielder in a physical league playing on turf most of the time when our biggest holes have been and clearly remain up front and in the back.

I like you are certainly willing to give the guy a chance... but I won't be holding my breath. For the record, I was a big Andy Welsh fan!

Ok, I made that last part up...

Darlofletch
06-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Can't say I'm super excited about another guy who couldn't make it in Britain. Surely to god he's got to be better than Johann Smith though.

standFree
06-07-2009, 06:46 AM
As an Aberdeen fan I hope Jamie can stay fit, miles better than Barret Vitti Ricketts. Guys a legend to me and I dont think you find any aberdeen fan that has a bad word to say about the lad.

Nuvinho
06-07-2009, 08:17 AM
can he play CB?

spezz44
06-07-2009, 08:25 AM
True, except he is 5'6 oft-injured midfielder in a physical league playing on turf most of the time when our biggest holes have been and clearly remain up front and in the back.

I like you are certainly willing to give the guy a chance... but I won't be holding my breath. For the record, I was a big Andy Welsh fan!

Ok, I made that last part up...

Not trying to say ur wrong but at least their arent many games left on our turf this summer.

Daveisonfire
06-07-2009, 08:40 AM

Barrett gets more than enough chances to score when he's playing on the wing...so hopefully it's a straight swap and Smith can get into the same positions that Chad does but with the end product

jloome
06-07-2009, 12:20 PM
As an Aberdeen fan I hope Jamie can stay fit, miles better than Barret Vitti Ricketts. Guys a legend to me and I dont think you find any aberdeen fan that has a bad word to say about the lad.

Yeah, great. If he stays fit, which he won't, because he never has.

TIme to start calling a spade a spade people, and look beyond "well, we need bench depth" or "well , Ricketts isn't cutting it"....

1) Ricketts set up our only goal yesterday and had our only two dangerous crosses. He's inconsistent, not bad. I doubt a guy who is oft-injured will be a huge step up.

2) WE NEED A FUCKING QUALITY STRIKER AND A QUALITY CENTRE BACK. Anything else is just Mo obfuscating the fucking issue again.

WE did this with vitti in the off-season. We were all clamouring for a DP-quality striker and a backline leader. We got a midfielder and a defensive midfielder, both effectively out of position, and were satisfied with it.

Beach_Red
06-07-2009, 01:15 PM
WE did this with vitti in the off-season. We were all clamouring for a DP-quality striker and a backline leader. We got a midfielder and a defensive midfielder, both effectively out of position, and were satisfied with it.

Um, did you come to the conclusion that we're satisfied by reading this board :rolleyes:.

No one's satisfied. We're still clamouring.

There was a time when people had a difference of opinion over the idea of a DP - but by now it's probably unanimous that we need one. Certainly couldn't hurt us at all, it's not like there's any kind of chemistry on the team that might be destroyed.

TFC USA
06-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Mo has gone back to the "Sign a player because he played in Britain" bullshit.

poppamidnight
06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
If this is true, I expect Rohan or Johan to get their walking papers, (abundance of MF),

We don't need either if we sign this guy,

With that said, I didn't see this as the top of priority list which as of now would be this:

#1 - Find a taker for that (ridiculous) long-term contract of Barrett's
#2 - Unload one of our THREE keepers - well only 2 candidates
#3 - Send Vitti back to Argentina once we sign a DP striker

mastermixer
06-07-2009, 10:26 PM
here's a little youtube vid with a two goal performance from smith...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQAH0IySz0

Pigfynn
06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Do we have even a shred of evidence this guy has been at a single practice? Has any of the regular journos seen a mysterious number__?

All I've seen is UK papers speculating. Do we have an insider info?

Fort York Redcoat
06-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Mo has gone back to the "Sign a player because he played in Britain" bullshit.

bullshit indeed.

This is a move to improve scoring chances.

It was probably easier to negotiate with Mo knowing parties involved. Are you proposing that Mo wait for a better purchase? Is there not people screaming for change here?

I'll welcome Smith when it's official.

Pigfynn
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Are we really still caught up on the whole "he's from so and so country" thing?

LOL!

What a joke.

zeelaw
06-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Jarrod Smith
Johan Smith
Jaime Smith

what in the hell

canucker
06-08-2009, 01:07 PM
I tend to agree with the sentiment that the majority on the boards here feel, that he is not the answer to our problems.

But I checked out a message board for Dons fans and they seemed to rate him. Apparently he was primarily deployed as a winger but most felt his best position was as a 2nd striker or in a free role up top. So this does sound like he could be a good fit with Dichio perhaps.

They also felt that he has enough quality to be very successful over here, barring injury (which was the only negative I took from their posts). They genuinely didn't want to see him go, felt he was one of their better players when healthy.

So hopefully if he does sign with us, he bags 3 goals in his first game!

Mikey
06-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Jarrod Smith
Johan Smith
Jaime Smith

what in the hell

yeah really. I suspect they have a work permit that just says Smith on it, with the first name smudged out.......

poppamidnight
06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Until i see an official release on the TFC page, or him in the starting lineup/bench, I'm not beiliveing it...

It's mo's tactic... These trial guys...
Keeps his job alive (since he doesn't do much of anything else lately)....

Hey look, I found a brazilian,
Hey look, I found these columbians - they'd fit in great with this team
Hey look at this Argentinian I found
Hey look, I've got Kiki Musampa on trail, (but he wants to much $)
Hey Look, Savo Milosevic is training with the club
Hey look at Laurent Robert. He's so great we won't trial him but rather sign him immediately

...Don't worry, I'm Mo Johnson, I scout people and they turn out great for our team

Dunc
06-08-2009, 01:52 PM
thank god, i was wondering when we would sign a new attack-minded midfielder, my prayers are answered

canucker
06-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I asked the Dons fans some more questions about Smith. Here are some recent answers from the Dons fan site:

"He is more a wide player but can play through the middle if required. Wouldn't say he'll be a prolific scorer for you though. Can take a decent free kick too."

"Smith is good value for a few goals per season, but he's certainly not a main striker. An awful lot (the majority?) of Dons fans think his best position is as the second striker...running onto flick ons and attacking defences."

So it doesn't really seem like he's anything other than another attacking midfield player. Really don't think he's the answer to our problems. He very well could be an upgrade on Vitti, Barrett and Ricketts, which is good. But we need an out-and-out number 1 striker.

C.Ronaldo
06-08-2009, 03:33 PM
this is the Answer to all our prayers

finally......amen and alleluia

JonO
06-16-2009, 04:20 PM
So to those of you familiar with Jamie Smith - is he left or right-footed?

Brooker
06-16-2009, 04:37 PM
So to those of you familiar with Jamie Smith - is he left or right-footed?

right

WHERE THE HELL IS MR SMITH?!

Shway
06-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Loose a J. Smith
and we get a J. Smith

smart move front office....!!!
dont have to get new jerseys lol

rocker
06-16-2009, 06:07 PM
i'd prefer Mrs. Smith

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Mr-Mrs-Smith---Advance-Poster-C11814033.jpeg

TorontoBlades
06-17-2009, 07:47 AM
TFC has made the following so very happy for signing so many of her grandchildren
http://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au/images-large/Apple/granny-smith.jpg

....Granny Smith...tee hehe

Shaughno
06-17-2009, 07:58 AM
^^ What the hell. That's a terrible old man joke... you're losing it! :lol:

TorontoBlades
06-17-2009, 08:30 AM
^^ What the hell. That's a terrible old man joke... you're losing it! :lol:

whatever - I got your smiley laughing.

poppamidnight
06-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Does anyone actually have any updates on this situation????

Speculation is running wild about Rohan being released, which leaves us with yet another Senior Roster spot,

Which doesn't really make sense (since we already would have the cap room for Gerba) if were just bringing in Gerba...

Is Smith coming or not?

Gerba + Smith = 5 goals vs. Impact?

Jack
06-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Does anyone actually have any updates on this situation????

Speculation is running wild about Rohan being released, which leaves us with yet another Senior Roster spot,

Which doesn't really make sense (since we already would have the cap room for Gerba) if were just bringing in Gerba...

Is Smith coming or not?

Gerba + Smith = 5 goals vs. Impact?
My info is that this is not happening.

poppamidnight
06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
My info is that this is not happening.

Now i'm even more confused if RR is released,

3 empty roster spots???, and only 1 incoming player (Gerba) for the MTL game?

Jack
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Now i'm even more confused if RR is released,

3 empty roster spots???, and only 1 incoming player (Gerba) for the MTL game?
There's more stuff going on.

RR wasn't just a roster move.

Ageroo
06-17-2009, 11:52 AM

If you listened to the interview he did with Rycroft and Rollins the other day.....Ricketts claimed "All will be reveled" I assume there is more to it than a roster move.....

poppamidnight
06-17-2009, 11:58 AM

For the sake of the fact we're holding (or soon to be holding) a good portion of the CMNT, I hope that 'stuff' includes filling all senior roster player spots (as opposed to keeping that 1 empty spot in lieu of having less players with higher contracts)...

So currently (after the Johann release) we have 2 empty roster spots,
1 to be filled by Gerba,

So we're going into whatever 'stuff going on' with the ability to take on an extra body?

PS - Is Jaimie Smith officially back in Scotland then? or exploring other MLS options?

Brooker
06-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Martin Brittain!!!

Jack
06-17-2009, 12:02 PM
For the sake of the fact we're holding (or soon to be holding) a good portion of the CMNT, I hope that 'stuff' includes filling all senior roster player spots (as opposed to keeping that 1 empty spot in lieu of having less players with higher contracts)...

1 to be filled by Gerba,

So we're going into whatever 'stuff going on' with the ability to take on an extra body?

PS - Is Jaimie Smith officially back in Scotland then? or exploring other MLS options?

There are some other moves going on and I think Smith might end up back in Scotland, but I don't have further information than that right now.

Flashman
06-17-2009, 12:17 PM

1 to be filled by Gerba,

As far as I can tell we have 3 empty roster spots..one to be filled by Ali Gerba.

We have carried one empty spot all year. The team then released Greg Sutton, but filled that spot with Nick Garcia, so still one spot.

The release of Johann Smith is 2 empty spots, and if the rumoured release of Rohan Ricketts is true, we should have 3 empty spots, before signing Ali

poppamidnight
06-17-2009, 12:46 PM
As far as I can tell we have 3 empty roster spots..one to be filled by Ali Gerba.

We have carried one empty spot all year. The team then released Greg Sutton, but filled that spot with Nick Garcia, so still one spot.

The release of Johann Smith is 2 empty spots, and if the rumoured release of Rohan Ricketts is true, we should have 3 empty spots, before signing Ali

Yea we'll that's what Jack meant by "more stuff going on" in reference to Ricketts, hence his roster spot not being included in the 'official' tally, since we're not sure if it's a outright release (free up roster spot) or part of a trade bringing in an extra body (or two),

So as of now, officially we have the two empty spots, with one of them being taken up through the pending contract of Gerba which is evidently going through MLS as we speak,

...not to get up in particulars or anything,
but RR's spot isn't an 'open roster spot' until we know the nature of that "more stuff going on" (be it a trade or release)

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1265355?UserKey= (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1265355?UserKey=)

Looks like Smith might stick with the Dons after all (hadn’t seen this posted elsewhere).

NateDoGG
06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
i want a premier league english player! MICHAEL OWEN

K1nG
06-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Any word if this Smith player knows how to play anything other than British Long Ball?