PDA

View Full Version : TFC Supporters and the Team

CoachGT
06-05-2009, 07:22 AM
There has been a lot of discussion about our relationship with the team and the front office over the past couple of days. A lot of anger, a lot of venting and a ton of passion.

We (Red Patch Boys) have a very good relationship with the team, including the front office. That doesn’t mean that we don’t have our own ideas and thoughts, but it means that we have a place to openly discuss things, something that, in my experience around many different sports, rarely happens with teams at this level. It is something that we need to continue to maintain.

Like any family or business or whatever, there will be tough times. But, whether we like it or not, we’re all in this together.

Nobody here goes to their job with the intent of doing things poorly (if you do, you probably won’t have the job long). Everyone is working to do their jobs to the best of their ability. Sometimes intentions are misunderstood or misplaced, but that doesn’t mean that people aren’t trying.

For example, look at the Real Madrid situation. There’s been a ton of bitching on these boards about the teams we hope to see come in for friendlies. It seems that other teams get top notch, recognized teams and we have not. So the team goes out and gets Real Madrid, a true world class opponent, and it turns out that it will be in addition to the normal ticket package. Surprised? You shouldn’t be. While people may feel slighted, I don’t think it is an unreasonable request. If you are upset, it should be directed at Real Madrid for requesting a high appearance fee and putting conditions on playing here. Personally, I’m impressed that the front office thought enough of the fans to spend the money to do this. Whether you buy a ticket or not, this is a tribute. Notice that Real Madrid are only playing to the two most passionate fan bases in MLS, and, unlike DC, we’ll be facing them in our own home!

And as for the comments about the players being kept away from the fans, nothing could be farther from the truth.

When I first joined RPB, one of the things that I was impressed with was the amount of respect the players got. When players were seen in public, RPB members gave them their space. We’ve allowed them to go about their business with minimal disruption. That approach is respected by the players. To the point that they do take time to come and speak with us. Frequently. Players need their space, and unlike many other MLS cities, we have a large group of people who know about them and cheer passionately for them, week in and week out.

There has been no directive from the team to stay away from the fans. I’ve heard the rumours, too, and I’ve asked a couple of players directly. There may be other things in play, overzealous comments from a staffer or two, or the team rules following a game (like getting back to the hotel after a game for the Carolina travellers) and maybe a suggestion to use common sense and not get caught in compromising situations in public, but the players have generally been there for the fans.

The salute at end of game is sometimes performed with a little less energy that we’d like to see, especially after watching opposing teams salute their fans, both at BMO and when we are on the road. When a little more is put into it, there is a significant buzz on these boards (like in the game in Columbus). I believe the lack of energy at times is a reflection of leaving it on the field or anger with their own performance as opposed to any slight toward the fans. And it has been encouraged by the coaching staff, as we have seen on many occasions. And I suspect moving warm up locations was more a change in routine than an intended slight.

While it may not be popular, it is time to remove some of the misconceptions around the team and once again move forward. It doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be angry over the result this week, or that some people will be angry over Real Madrid, but give people their due for keeping us in mind with good intentions.

ensco
06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
How people feel could get a lot worse or a lot better depending on:

- the pricing plan for the SSH for the Madrid game
- who the free friendly opponent is
- the team looking again like the group that was beaten only once in 8 games, and handled NE 2 weeks ago

The Professor
06-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Well said, Gary.

Pachuco
06-05-2009, 08:04 AM
I disagree, with the whole Real Madrid thing. But man, another thread to discuss the same topics?

Chevy
06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
How people feel could get a lot worse or a lot better depending on:

- the pricing plan for the SSH for the Madrid game
- who the free friendly opponent is
- the team looking again like the group that was beaten only once in 8 games, and handled NE 2 weeks ago

This will be the kicker...