PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to coach Cunningham.....

jloome
06-02-2008, 10:19 AM
...to hold up a run? DeVos made the point several times during the last game that LA's defence was pushing up so much that if Cunningham had held his runs and waited for the through ball instead of trying to initiate a split-second timing play, he'd have had innumerable breakaways.

I assume this is the kind of thing they break down on game film.

yanggoh
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
it couldn't possibly be that hard to get that message through to him, even with someone as stubborn as cunny

Fort York Redcoat
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
He's done it his whole career. I think he's a scoreless game away from a trade.

Heathen
06-02-2008, 11:36 AM
You're assuming he's a "thinking" type player, from what I've seen he's more an instict type. Whatever you coach into him, he'll forget when the game starts unless he hears Carver or his teammates screaming at him to stay onside

Laurignano
06-02-2008, 11:39 AM
to answer your question about Cunny, yes it is too late. Hes got to go, and we need a new striker pronto!

ManUtd4ever
06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
At this stage of his career, Cunny is what he is, for better or worse. At times he can be the most frustrating player to watch on the pitch, but until a quality striker is signed, he will have to do...

torfchamilton
06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
yup too late, you learn this as a kid, not when your in your 30`s

Next striker please

Pachuco
06-02-2008, 12:32 PM
If Cunny held up his runs he probalby wouldn't get as many chances on net as he does. if he knew how to finish better no one would be complaining about how many times he's offside. There are many poachers even in the best leagues who play that way. For this style of striker, that is part of their game, what Cunny needs to learn is how to finish when he gets the chance. because if he's offside 5 times in a game, but gets 2 breakaways and scores on both, who the heck is going to complain?

ExiledRed
06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
you cant teach an old dogfucker new tricks :)

nimamalek
06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
some players just get it and some just dont, no matter how much you coach them, its not just cunningham.

djking2
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
it seems to me that the player who takes the most shit on the board for the week is the next player to have a breakout type of game. Velez, Dichio, Ricketts. By that logic Cunny scores two on Sunday night both from the run of play. Wanna bet ?

Blazer
06-02-2008, 05:25 PM
you cant teach an old dogfucker new tricks :)

Are you saying that Cunny's style is doggy-style? :sheep:

koryo
06-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm more concerned that it's too late to get something decent for him.

GoonerFootball4
06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
You know something is wrong with Jeff Cunningham, when the greatest coach in the history of the MLS (John Carver) can't teach him how to finish....sell him as soon as possible before his value hits zero.

bhoybobby
06-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Sure you can coach him, grey coach outta town. An absolute thick selfish tit

ReginaRedsFan
06-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Like many have said on here, he's done. I would much rather have a striker who could get only a few quality chances on net, than one who is constantly offside and gets many "chances".

Hell, even Smith knows how to beat the defensive trap. He did it perfectly on his break away oppotunity.

Cunny's done, next striker please.

Northern Soul
06-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Like many have said on here, he's done. I would much rather have a striker who could get only a few quality chances on net, than one who is constantly offside and gets many "chances".

Hell, even Smith knows how to beat the defensive trap. He did it perfectly on his break away oppotunity.

Cunny's done, next striker please.

Agreed. And welcome to the board! Glad I asked you to join. :)

professor
06-03-2008, 09:12 AM
if a minor league baseball player is worth 10 bats,

then Cunny is at least good for 12 balls, 5 new, 7 used, all size 5 and a ball bag thrown in and none will have the TFC logo
now thats both value added and a nice incentive
oh yeah, Mo will pick up a portion of the remaining salary too....

Steve
06-03-2008, 09:24 AM

then Cunny is at least good for 12 balls, 5 new, 7 used, all size 5 and a ball bag thrown in and none will have the TFC logo

Nah, we can get something for him. He scored in the last game and, more importantly, he's been playing like he is unsettled (has even said those very words). All you need to do is convince the opposing coach/manager that they are good enough to get Cunny settled and back into his old form. He counts as a domestic, and is one of the leading all time MLS goal scorers, we can at least pick up some cash (that plus dumping his salary will get us a DP striker).

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 09:50 AM

With a mentality like that, it's no wonder why you aren't in Mo or Carver's position.