PDA

View Full Version : CBC peice on BMO Field and grass

Nestease
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
*edit: I found the piece and was able to transcribe it word for word. Here it is:

Head Anchor (CBC): There's some tension building at BMO Field tonight, and most of it is under foot. In fact, the turf is the problem. Debbie Lightle Quan explains.

Debbie Lightle Quan (CBC): It's Toronto FC's home disadvantage. Since the beginning, Toronto's players have been critical of the artificial turf at BMO Field. They say it's hard on their bodies and the bounce of the ball.

Chris Cummins: We're aware of what the turf is. We have to get on with it. Yeah, they're going to moan, but that's what footballers are like.

Debbie Lightle Quan (CBC): The average life expectancy of field turf is about seven years, but two and half years in here at BMO Field and it's already shot. The players, the owners of the FC, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, even the city which owns BMO, would all want to replace the artificial turf with natural grass, but the original stadium deal calls for community year round access to the playing field and MLSE is trying to find a central replacement field in hopes to make a presentation to city counsel this fall.

MLSE Exec: We've been in discussion with the province and now with the federal government about getting this thing rolling and moving very quickly if we can. It would be great if we could do it for next season, but realistically, we're probably 2 seasons away.

Debbie Lightle Quan (CBC): But the patience of the players is wearing as thin as the turf, especially since learning that TFC's owners are spending a quarter of a million dollars to bring in a temporary grass surface for the friendly against Real Madrid in August.

Dwayne De Rosario: What does that mean as myself as a player for TFC? We don't get that respect? So, it's one of those where you look at it as a player and you're disappointed that it takes a team like Real Madrid to come here to get grass.

RedWookie
06-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I really hope the TFC community can overcome this infighting. It seems like MLSE in toronto is tearing itself apart and nobody wants that

Marco2K
06-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I have given up. This team sucks.

Everyone makes fun of me for being such a tfc diehard. Is it worth it?

TorCanSoc
06-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I've been watching the CSA Shit Show for almost 25 years. Oh man if MLSE becomes another CSA in terms of heart and support we're in trouble.

Blizzard
06-04-2009, 07:28 PM

You say you are TFC diehard but you also say you have given up. That is a fundamental disconnect.

If you are a TFC diehard, you cannot give up.

If you have given up, you are not a TFC diehard.

What's it going to be?

B

Section 117
06-04-2009, 07:29 PM

Not sure. I finally understand when my parents said they weren't upset just disappointed. That is how I feel

:drinking:

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Just as I have feared off and on since 2007. We're all being taken for a very bumpy ride.

Pookie
06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
To those falling off the bandwagon:

"Through the thick and the thin
We are loyal to the end"

- Legend TFC

Grass issue

- 100% agree that message is that the health of RM trumps that of our own players
- City revenue issue is moot. They never present the other side of the coin which includes the possibility of attracting more games (World Cup Qualifiers that went to Montreal as an example) on a grass stadium
- The City also risks losing what could be our National Soccer Stadium... and the revenue that goes with it... to forward thinkers in Vancouver, Montreal (if it ever expanded Saputo) or Ottawa if it got an MLS bid and went ahead with its plans for a natural grass stadium
- The team can't compete for players that prefer a natural grass surface. Thereby giving themselves a handicap when it comes to on-field performance. What would a couple of playoff dates mean?
- While the Lakeshore project sounds interesting, why not increase the usage of Lamport Stadium as a temporary home for field renters?

Sonny Cheeba
06-04-2009, 07:47 PM
I really hope the TFC community can overcome this infighting. It seems like MLSE in toronto is tearing itself apart and nobody wants that

what?

RedWookie
06-04-2009, 08:02 PM
what?

You have the players giving interviews expressing their anger with the owners about the grass. Supporters angered at the owners for pussyfooting around what they promised us, anger and disappointment with the players for not playing up to par

All around it looks like one big screaming match with everybody involved. My concerns are that this doesn't wind up with toronto losing their team

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 08:03 PM

MLSE is tearing itself apart? :confused:

andyc
06-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Meeting in the fall with the city when they know the field is SHIT now. Don't tell me it takes 4 months to get a meeting arranged...

The mayor is a SSH so MLSE how about meeting with him after the next game or two???

billyfly
06-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Could it be possible the TFC did not give 100% effort b/c they are mad at the lack of grass and think that MLSE don't care about the players?

Could they have done this to avoid more games at BMO and the fieldturf?

***I don't think you could ever prove this or even if its true so don't shot me.

Pookie
06-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Note that the comment regarding meeting in the fall is likely just to set very low expectations for us. As the Deputy Mayor indicates, they are talking. The very fact that he was williing to be quoted in an article (Published June 3, Steven Sandor, Toronto Sun) indicates that they are talking.

There is a deal to be done if the will is there.

If a game between Toronto FC and Real Madrid -- on natural turf at BMO Field -- is to happen, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. would be responsible for putting down a temporary grass field and tearing it up when the match is over.

"If MLSEL wishes to convert the field to grass it needs to get the permission of the owner ... the City of Toronto and the board of Exhibition Place," Joe Pantalone, the deputy mayor and chairman of the Exhibition Place board, said.

"We are not averse to grass. We actually think there is a lot of merit to it. But for that to happen, MLSEL must satisfy a lot of conditions."

BMO Field's artificial surface allows the stadium to be used year-round.

The key issue is: If BMO Field becomes a facility that isn't available to the public whenever TFC or the national soccer program isn't using it, a replacement field must be erected downtown. Not in Etobicoke. Not in Scarborough. Not in North York. The cost of creating a new facility that is available to the public year-round would fall entirely to MLSEL, the owner of TFC.

Pantalone said there have been discussions between the city and MLSEL about converting Lamport Stadium, located near the corner of King and Dufferin, to a year-round soccer facility.

Real Madrid is playing DC United in Washington on Aug. 9. TFC has rescheduled a game with New York to free up its calendar for a rumoured game against Real in early August. Real wants to play one more game on its tour of North America, but Los Merengues won't play on FieldTurf.

A temporary grass field would be a solution.

OBSTACLES
But any plan to replace the FieldTurf with permanent natural grass by August would face obstacles.

The community leagues that use BMO Field would need assurances they have a place to play without interruptions to their schedules.

Pantalone said he's not sure there are enough council and Exhibition board meetings left before the August holiday to approve the change.

"As a community facility, BMO Field is sold out," Pantalone said. "It has been very successful for us."

Like Pantalone, Mayor David Miller would like to see grass at BMO Field, but he wants MLSEL to satisfy all the conditions.

Stuart Green, a spokesperson with the mayor's office, wrote in an e-mail: "Any permanent modifications to BMO such as grass are subject to the conditions of the Letter of Intent.

"As the mayor has said, his desire is to get a grass pitch at BMO and we are speaking to MLSEL about ways that can happen."

In the original agreement, MLSEL was to pay $8 million toward the $72.8-million soccer stadium and earn $10 million through the selling of the naming rights. The city kicked in $19.8 million in land considerations and cash. The rest came from the federal and provincial governments. The deal gave MLSEL the right to manage the facility for 20 years beginning with the 2007 season.

Another condition in the BMO deal allows the city and board to use the stadium on "a significant part of any available dates annually, on a cost recovery basis only," for the city, CNE, World Fair and Olympics.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
06-04-2009, 08:57 PM
If DeRo is this vocal about the turf issue you can bet there is serious unrest in the dressing room. I wont be putting any money down on playoff birth this year unless the crooks in the FO decide to invest in the team for once.

Roogsy
06-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Didn't somebody say that the players would be chuffed to play Real Madrid? Sounds to me like they feel the same way we do rather than be all giddy about the big club coming to town.

Super
06-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Sucks that we're not getting grass for at least another season. I guess that means we'll have to wait another couple of years before we might get a DP striker as well.

FluSH
06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I applaud CBC on this... I have yet to see it but the mere fact that a media outlet is bringing this issue to the forefront is good.... more often than not TFC gets buried and forgotten out there in media land...

Super
06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
I really wish a rich football supporter would come in and rescue this club from the hands of MLSE. They have no clue how to run a proper football club. A business, yes, but we need some heart in there - and it's never going to be there with MLSE running the show. I'll support the team till I die, but not fucking MLSE.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
This is the most ridiculous demand that the replacement field must be errected downtown.

a replacement field must be erected downtown. Not in Etobicoke. Not in Scarborough. Not in North York. The cost of creating a new facility that is available to the public year-round would fall entirely to MLSEL, the owner of TFC.

Last time I checked Scarborough, Etobicoke, and North York no longer legally exist as they are part of Toronto. Why is the proposed modifications to Lakeshore Lions not being considered as an option? Its not exactly that far from downtown and viable alternatives downtown are few and far between. Lamport is one option but they probably are looking for net new in downtown.

The city and MLSE are a lethal combo for getting nothing done and when it finally goes through it will be the dumbest decision that no one could have anticipated.

Pookie
06-04-2009, 09:14 PM
I think the Lakeshore is a longer term solution.

The fact that Lamport is coming up signals to me that they are looking at making the grass permanent now and looking for an immediate place to move their commitments.

I'm not holding my breath but MLSE is a business. They have to spend $250k on this temporary thing. That's a pretty big downpayment on a permanent one. Pretty big waste if they couldn't leverage that investment.

sully
06-04-2009, 09:16 PM
- MLSE stated no grass next year but possibly the year after that (didn't we hear that last year?
- He was hinting that MLSE/TFC/THE HIGHER UPS don't care enough for its own players.

Yes and yes.

sidvan
06-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Barrett complained about the turf to me at the player's signing session last week at SVP -Scarborough. When my daughter remarked he looked really tired that evening, Chad blamed it on the turf and how he didn't like it.

I realize Chad has got bigger fish to fry like putting the ball in the net, but it just shows that the players are in lockstep on hating the turf. Of course Jimmy B as spokesperson for Field Turf would have to refute that.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I really wish a rich football supporter would come in and rescue this club from the hands of MLSE. They have no clue how to run a proper football club. A business, yes, but we need some heart in there - and it's never going to be there with MLSE running the show. I'll support the team till I die, but not fucking MLSE.

MLSE do f**k up franchises, leafs, marlies, raptors..and now TFC.maybe they have too many franchises and should unload one...Raptors.
But lets see TFC in a couple of years..they might be league champions,this year might be a step back, but it happens.

kodiakTFC
06-04-2009, 09:37 PM

I suggest you look up the definition of the term, "diehard" because what your describing is a fairweather fan. Which isn't a bad thing, I do it with the Jays and Leafs but it is what it is.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-04-2009, 09:41 PM

yes it is worth it long term...after the Blizzard in the NASL went under i didnt think football would ever take in the city...But 2 decades and a bit later Toronto has a great football fan base and that will help a club.Lets
face it 20,000 crowds over 3 years of some bad football show fans have
patience..but even patience has a breaking point and we need to see
progress on and off the pitch. We have 3 great supporters groups in the
RPB< NEE<U sector< which will help grow the fan base in years to come.
Not a leaf fan,but their fans take shit too and i love giving them shit,but you dont see too mant switching sides and they hang in there,this is what
has to happen with the TFC fans, cause when we do win the Canadian championship,mls cup we can say we remained loyal to the team in the bad times..we dont need gloryhunters..lets see how the rest of season
plays out and how the management reacts before giving up.:scarf:

Section225
06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
You say you are TFC diehard but you also say you have given up. That is a fundamental disconnect.

What's it going to be?

B

I couldn't agree more with Blizzard. You are the same individual who chants "part time supporter" when I walk out of BMO in the 80th minute because TFC is losing 3-0 and they have been absolute bellends all game.

stop being so blind and see things as they are. This team is shit, and the way things are looking, will be shit unless some major changes are made...but after all, just like with the leafs, all MLSE cares about is profits, not a winning team.

TFC07
06-04-2009, 09:47 PM
MLSE should buy some land and build a stadium. Fuck BMO field and City of Toronto!

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
stop being so blind and see things as they are. This team is shit, and the way things are looking, will be shit unless some major changes are made...but after all, just like with the leafs, all MLSE cares about is profits, not a winning team.

I guess MLSE fails to comprehend that there is even more profit to be made with a championship club.

Beach_Red
06-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I really wish a rich football supporter would come in and rescue this club from the hands of MLSE.

It really does seem like the only way to have a winning team these days it for it to be some billionaire's toy.

And that's just sad.

Red CB Toronto
06-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Lamport is not the soluation, it existed before BMO was built, thus it already had field commitments each and every day. A new facility would need to be built all together to assorb what BMO currently has.

rocker
06-04-2009, 10:57 PM
It really does seem like the only way to have a winning team these days it for it to be some billionaire's toy.
And that's just sad.

that's in a non-capped league.

Chivas has a winning team... Chicago has a winning team... all on just over 2 million :)

Nestease
06-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I found the piece and was able to transcribe it word for word for everyone here on the board. It's edited into the original post.

Roogsy
06-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Lamport is not the soluation, it existed before BMO was built, thus it already had field commitments each and every day. A new facility would need to be built all together to assorb what BMO currently has.

Really? I pass by all the time and half the time it's empty.

And it definitely does not get used in the winter.

Shep
06-04-2009, 11:42 PM

Not even halfway through the 3rd season? Thank god you aren't a Leeds man.

Weird, everyone is upset in this thread, but the way I read it is they are finally acknowledging the problem and we have a definite end coming to the turf.....how is that bad?

This is good news to me.

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Not even halfway through the 3rd season? Thank god you aren't a Leeds man.

Weird, everyone is upset in this thread, but the way I read it is they are finally acknowledging the problem and we have a definite end coming to the turf.....how is that bad?

This is good news to me.

An end to the turf. When? Next season? The season after that? Three seasons from now?

Nestease
06-04-2009, 11:53 PM

This is good news to me.

It sounds good, but are they really trying hard enough? Last year I remember hearing the same thing. "Not next year, but realistically the year after" (I wish I remember where I read this). Now it's a year later and it sounds like the same story.

Where's the training facility they said they were going to build with the Edu money? Couldn't they fulfill whatever obligations they have with the city at the training facility?

CenturySam
06-05-2009, 03:54 AM
two places pop into mind when thinking of quick locations for a temporary field location,

the old golf dome at McCowan/401, and Ontario Place, there must be room there somewhere for a bubble, and its a 5 min walk from BMO

billyfly
06-05-2009, 04:44 AM
LAKESHORE LIONS ARENA area (Lakeshore) is where MLSE is trying to build 2 fields and a training facility.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-05-2009, 06:34 AM

What's it going to be?

B
lol... seconded.

It would be great if we could do it for next season, but realistically, we're probably 2 seasons away.

Two seasons??!!! The f*ck? We need grass NOW. How about some urgency here, MLSE?

They also said last summer we would have a grass training facility this year, where did that go?

rocker
06-05-2009, 06:43 AM
They also said last summer we would have a grass training facility this year, where did that go?

it's not completely in their hands.

politics doesn't work quickly, as most of us know.

Pookie
06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Really? I pass by all the time and half the time it's empty.

And it definitely does not get used in the winter.

Lamport is being talked about (by the city) as a temporary solution if they are looking at making the move to grass in the very near future.

Lakeshore is the long term solution.

Fellows, you have to read a little bit behind the scenes here.

The city has said that they want grass but that MLSE must fulfill its lease obligations.

MLSE has said that it is pretty expensive to put in grass for just 20 home games... pointing to the potential lost revenue in rentals and highlighting that BMO is rented all throughout the summer as proof of a lucrative revenue stream that could disappear if they act too soon.

Those are the public stances. Here are the facts:

If BMO is rented through the summer, MLSE already broke its lease agreement by having to cancel rentals to take the time to install the pitch and play this Friendly. They further broke it for the folks that had June 13th as their rental date as that is now a MLS game. Neither MLSE and the City are concerned about this as the event is moving forward.

That means that either they have already found a temporary home for these rentals or they simply have exercised their "right to cancel" and told the renters that they are SOL.

What you are seeing is not a matter of "you better look after the rentals and revenue stream." The revenue steam is essentially chump change to both parties. They make $150/hour but also have to pay staff and security to be on hand. Perhaps they net out half of that. The field is not rented 24 hours a day and probably averages 5 hours through the non-summer months... if that. At most you are looking at an average of $400 per day in net revenue.

That is not a deal breaker my friends.

Neither is the city's stance that they "don't know how many more board meetings there are between now and August to approve a permanent grass field." Nobody has a schedule?!?

What you are seeing debated in the media and behind closed doors is who is going to pay for this. If MLSE makes the grass investment, do they get a bigger share of the revenue off big events? Since the City owns the field, do they share in the grass investment? If so how much?

Those are the real issues. The will is there. The logistics are solved. It's simply a matter of $$$

Don Julio
06-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I beleive they lose money on public rentals. The real issue, I'm guessing, is "Is a public use facility way the fuck out in Etobicoke good enough?"

fanatical
06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
but you can't be a team without followers.

ecospice
06-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Yes it is worth it. We can work constructively with TFC FO and ML$E to improve things...give it time.

:scarf:

BayernTFC
06-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Lamport is being talked about (by the city) as a temporary solution if they are looking at making the move to grass in the very near future.

I just read an article by Gareth Wheeler:

That being said, permanent grass at BMO may not be as far away as first believed.
A story this week in the Toronto Sun indicated that the Toronto District School Board has announced that an inflatable dome and athletic field is set to go up at Lakeshore Collegiate.
This re-inforces a long-standing rumour that the FieldTurf at BMO will be jettisoned to the Lakeshore location, making way for real grass.
So, call it the Maurice Edu Fund, with the sale of the former TFC midfielder helping to finance the transition.
And the fact that the team is practising two days a week on grass gives that more much credence to the rumour.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2009/05/30/9624526-sun.html

I can't attest to the validity of the rumours, but they are interesting nonetheless.

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Could it be possible the TFC did not give 100% effort b/c they are mad at the lack of grass and think that MLSE don't care about the players?

Could they have done this to avoid more games at BMO and the fieldturf?

***I don't think you could ever prove this or even if its true so don't shot me.

I'd say that, coupled with the fact that they don't get a red cent more if their holiday is cut short by two or three months, and they have to go and play games in Nicaragua etc... is not unlikely at all.

Stugatzo
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Stuart Green, a spokesperson with the mayor's office, wrote in an e-mail: "Any permanent modifications to BMO such as grass are subject to the conditions of the Letter of Intent.

"As the mayor has said, his desire is to get a grass pitch at BMO and we are speaking to MLSEL about ways that can happen."

What an asshole.

billyfly
06-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Seconded^:p

Super
06-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I'd say that, coupled with the fact that they don't get a red cent more if their holiday is cut short by two or three months, and they have to go and play games in Nicaragua etc... is not unlikely at all.

Just another reason why the MLS is Mickey Mouse. There is ZERO incentive to do well because you end up having to play more, work more - and you do not get properly compensated for it. Same with supporters - we can pump all of our hard-earned money into the club, but we won't actually see a better product on the field as a result of it. Mickey League Soccer indeed.

Hooligan69
06-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Just another reason why the MLS is Mickey Mouse. There is ZERO incentive to do well because you end up having to play more, work more - and you do not get properly compensated for it. Same with supporters - we can pump all of our hard-earned money into the club, but we won't actually see a better product on the field as a result of it. Mickey League Soccer indeed.

Major League Sucker.

boban
06-08-2009, 02:48 PM
This is the most ridiculous demand that the replacement field must be errected downtown.

Last time I checked Scarborough, Etobicoke, and North York no longer legally exist as they are part of Toronto. Why is the proposed modifications to Lakeshore Lions not being considered as an option? Its not exactly that far from downtown and viable alternatives downtown are few and far between. Lamport is one option but they probably are looking for net new in downtown.

The city and MLSE are a lethal combo for getting nothing done and when it finally goes through it will be the dumbest decision that no one could have anticipated.
Biggest opponent in all that is Pantelone. he is anal about the conditions and any re-address of the agreement.
MLSE should be looking to oust him in the next municipal elections so it can get things done with the city. Pantelone is a major thorn.

Stryker
06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Sadly, the Red Bulls may be shite, but with their new stadium in addition to its owners who are willing to spend and New York being a world class city, chances are they'll be winning silverware long before we will.

Pookie
06-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Biggest opponent in all that is Pantelone. he is anal about the conditions and any re-address of the agreement.
MLSE should be looking to oust him in the next municipal elections so it can get things done with the city. Pantelone is a major thorn.

Well, apparently they can move rentals around for June 13th.

They can further move them for the time that it takes to install the surface and the game on Aug 7th.

Wasn't an issue then.

greatwhitenorf
06-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Amazing to see, two and half years on, how the attitudes on this forum and others, have shifted so dramatically against the turf.

Wish we could find a copy from U-Sector of Rudi Schuller's dismissal of the issue in a piece entitled 'I Got 99 Problems But A Pitch Ain't One.'

For some of us, the whole issue of taking TFC and MLS seriously came to a halt with having to play on plastic. Yet time and again, too many gushing members of the supporters groups said it would be fine.

The worm has turned. Finally. And now, with MLSE raking in serious dough from soccer, the city has an excellent bargaining position. I hope they use it well.

Redpunkfiddle
06-08-2009, 07:24 PM
What an asshole.

Big time.

James Oliphant
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
What an asshole.

Seriouxly.

Hooligan69
06-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Sadly, the Red Bulls may be shite, but with their new stadium in addition to its owners who are willing to spend and New York being a world class city, chances are they'll be winning silverware long before we will.

Their home ground is in New Jersey.

BigD
06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I just read an article by Gareth Wheeler:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2009/05/30/9624526-sun.html

I can't attest to the validity of the rumours, but they are interesting nonetheless.

I have heard that MLSE offered to put in a year round pitch at Lakeshore Lions but the city is not open to the idea as it is too far from downtown (not easily accessible by TTC).

Lamport would only be temporary as I believe that there is a plan in place to turn it into tennis courts as part of the area rebuild for the 2015 Pan Am games bid.

Hooligan69
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Lamport would only be temporary as I believe that there is a plan in place to turn it into tennis courts as part of the area rebuild for the 2015 Pan Am games bid.

Gentrification?

BigD
06-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Gentrification?

Apparently there is a plan that will redo unused space and parking lots in Liberty Village and Exhibition Place and setup various sporting venues to accomodate the games.

This includes removing all above ground parking on the Exhibition grounds

jazzy
06-08-2009, 08:38 PM

ya......how can the love of a great game and ...a great outing be so depressing.....I personaly have to start ..... to find some focus on positives....how about our younger guys...we should play some throw them into the fire maybe there's a gem?

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 08:42 PM
ya......how can the love of a great game and ...a great outing be so depressing.....I personaly have to start ..... to find some focus on positives....how about our younger guys...we should play some throw them into the fire maybe there's a gem?

Can we throw Barrett into the fire, is he young enough?

TFC RealDeal RPB
06-08-2009, 08:46 PM
If DeRo is this vocal about the turf issue you can bet there is serious unrest in the dressing room. I wont be putting any money down on playoff birth this year unless the crooks in the FO decide to invest in the team for once.
:rant: MUCH RESPECT TO DERO.:rant:

ibnqnEdUuqM

Davenport
06-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Can we throw Barrett into the fire, is he young enough?

No, but he's dried up........

Marco2K
06-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Man i forgot to respond here.

I am a die hard.

I just dont like being taked advantage of.

i am telling you.

Dero is gone after this year. No athlete can take working for MLSE

Davenport
06-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Sadly there's a few athletes who would argue with you.
They throw stupid money at average players to attract and keep them here.
Same as their joke of a hockey team.

Marco2K
06-08-2009, 09:03 PM
MLSE
MAPLE LAUGHS
SAPTORS
AND NOW T F C. Where i get drunk every game cause we stink so bad.

neuf
06-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Speaking of CBC, I was listening to CBC Radio this afternoon, and heard them advertising an upcoming interview with Anselmi about the supporters' unrest, but I missed it unfortunately. Did anyone catch it?

Hooligan69
06-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Speaking of CBC, I was listening to CBC Radio this afternoon, and heard them advertising an upcoming interview with Anselmi about the supporters' unrest, but I missed it unfortunately. Did anyone catch it?

Missed it. I heard we'd have to pay $150 for a chance to listen to the interview.

torontocelt
06-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Didn't somebody say that the players would be chuffed to play Real Madrid? Sounds to me like they feel the same way we do rather than be all giddy about the big club coming to town.

If the players of TFC didn't get excited about playing against some of the best players in the world then I would be very worried indeed. Regardless of it only being a friendly this is a once in a life time opportunity for some of these guys, I mean how many Canadian players get the opportunity to play against Kaka? I mean seriously if they are not even a little bit excited I would consider getting rid of the lot of them.

Roogsy
06-08-2009, 09:42 PM
If the players of TFC didn't get excited about playing against some of the best players in the world then I would be very worried indeed. Regardless of it only being a friendly this is a once in a life time opportunity for some of these guys, I mean how many Canadian players get the opportunity to play against Kaka? I mean seriously if they are not even a little bit excited I would consider getting rid of the lot of them.

I don't particularly care if they want to play a meaningless game. Brennan, Robbo and Dichio have played against big clubs in England. Wynne is in the Confederations Cup playing against big countries. Vitti is best pals with guys like Messi and played on the Argentina U20 and at some point may have already played against Kaka. It's not like me and my buddies getting to play TFC in a friendly, these are all pro players. I am of the opposite opinion. If they ARE excited about playing Real...I'd have to wonder where their priorities lie.

torontocelt
06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't particularly care if they want to play a meaningless game. Brennan, Robbo and Dichio have played against big clubs in England. Wynne is in the Confederations Cup playing against big countries. Vitti is best pals with guys like Messi and played on the Argentina U20 and at some point may have already played against Kaka. It's not like me and my buddies getting to play TFC in a friendly, these are all pro players. I am of the opposite opinion. If they ARE excited about playing Real...I'd have to wonder where their priorities lie.

Yep you are right they are all pro players however they are pro players that unfortunately are not very good, it is sad but true. These guys will rarely if ever come up against a team with quality like Real Madrid has. They will certainly never encounter it in the MLS and guys like Brennan, Robbo or Dichio will never encounter it again outside of friendlies like this. On the international front all TFC players will struggle to play a team of Real's quality with the exception of Wynne and even he isn't automatic first team. For almost all of these players this is their one chance of playing against some of the worlds best, if they don't fancy that challenge then there is something seriously wrong with their motivation to test themselves at a high level, a level that is way beyond anything they will see in the MLS. Outside of that it is also a good opportunity to put themselves in the shop window, if you do well against Real Madrid even in a friendly then people will take notice. any player that does not have aspirations of playing at a higher level than TFC again must seriously lack motivation.

Roogsy
06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Their more important test they should be up for is to be able to beat the lowly Galaxy rather than whether they can hold Real Madrid off the scoresheet.

If they can't get motivated to win against the Galaxy, then getting motivated to play Real Madrid is a slap in the face of supporters.

andyc
06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Their more important test they should be up for is to be able to beat the lowly Galaxy rather than whether they can hold Real Madrid off the scoresheet.

If they can't get motivated to win against the Galaxy, then getting motivated to play Real Madrid is a slap in the fact of supporters.

Or even Montreal or Vancouver....

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Bang on.

Even Ricketts has played against big teams. Dichio used to be part of the Juventus squad and DeRo has scored on Chelsea.

Adrian Serioux nearly broke Beckham's leg he was so impressed with his elite status,ffs.

This notion that the players are ejaculating in their shorts over having to go up against an undeniably superior team while the grass issue underlines their peasant status for the world to see, is laughable.

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 10:13 PM

If they can't get motivated to win against the Galaxy, then getting motivated to play Real Madrid is a slap in the face of supporters.

Also bang on.

If they beat Real Madrid after a stunning performance, I'll be angrier than..... well angrier than I normally am anyway.

Who the fuck are they to up the ante for a big friendly and 'pride' when they can't raise their game for USL teams?

Yohan
06-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Dichio used to be part of the Juventus squad

you mean Sampdoria

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
you mean Sampdoria

Yes I do!

It was Lombardo who had the Juventus connection, LMAO.

Even Lombardo wouldn't be starstruck!

NateDoGG
06-08-2009, 10:28 PM
someone should make a big grass banner that says "we want grass 420" hahah

boban
06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Well, apparently they can move rentals around for June 13th.

They can further move them for the time that it takes to install the surface and the game on Aug 7th.

Wasn't an issue then.
Those are 1 offs. Nothing permanent in those.
Thats why they are allowed and the agreement has provisions to deal with 'events' or re-scheduling.

boban
06-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Fellows, you have to read a little bit behind the scenes here.

The city has said that they want grass but that MLSE must fulfill its lease obligations.

MLSE has said that it is pretty expensive to put in grass for just 20 home games... pointing to the potential lost revenue in rentals and highlighting that BMO is rented all throughout the summer as proof of a lucrative revenue stream that could disappear if they act too soon.

Those are the public stances. Here are the facts:

If BMO is rented through the summer, MLSE already broke its lease agreement by having to cancel rentals to take the time to install the pitch and play this Friendly. They further broke it for the folks that had June 13th as their rental date as that is now a MLS game. Neither MLSE and the City are concerned about this as the event is moving forward.

That means that either they have already found a temporary home for these rentals or they simply have exercised their "right to cancel" and told the renters that they are SOL.

What you are seeing is not a matter of "you better look after the rentals and revenue stream." The revenue steam is essentially chump change to both parties. They make $150/hour but also have to pay staff and security to be on hand. Perhaps they net out half of that. The field is not rented 24 hours a day and probably averages 5 hours through the non-summer months... if that. At most you are looking at an average of $400 per day in net revenue.

That is not a deal breaker my friends.

Neither is the city's stance that they "don't know how many more board meetings there are between now and August to approve a permanent grass field." Nobody has a schedule?!?

What you are seeing debated in the media and behind closed doors is who is going to pay for this. If MLSE makes the grass investment, do they get a bigger share of the revenue off big events? Since the City owns the field, do they share in the grass investment? If so how much?

Those are the real issues. The will is there. The logistics are solved. It's simply a matter of $$$
In the non-summer months they charge about $100 for a 1/3rd of the field.
That's $300 an hour running from 6:30 in the morning to about 11 PM at night. That's about 16-17 hrs a day - or about $5,000 a day. They probably net about 2,300 a day.
But yes, it's a money issue and who will pay. MLSE will squeeze blood form a stone and make its own mom pay.

ExiledRed
06-08-2009, 10:48 PM
In the non-summer months they charge about $100 for a 1/3rd of the field.
That's $300 an hour running from 6:30 in the morning to about 11 PM at night. That's about 16-17 hrs a day - or about $5,000 a day. They probably net about 2,300 a day.
But yes, it's a money issue and who will pay. MLSE will squeeze blood form a stone and make its own mom pay.

The loss to the city if the field was no longer rented out, would be about $450,000

This is roughly what Vitti and Barrett make combined. It's piss all.

I think it runs at a loss during the bubble months.

The city is all about the facility and service, not the income.

Roogsy
06-08-2009, 10:50 PM
True...and I doubt the facility is running at full capacity in the winter months.

Cashcleaner
06-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Dwayne De Rosario: What does that mean as myself as a player for TFC? We don't get that respect? So, it's one of those where you look at it as a player and you're disappointed that it takes a team like Real Madrid to come here to get grass.And now I hope people can understand where we as supporters fit in with all of this.

The players who work hard for every practice and every game are the ones we support. The coaches who spend hours pouring over videotapes, refining drills, and marking theoretical plays down on blackboards. The support staff who strive to keep everyone fit, healthy, and happy.

They, and only they, are the ones who we are loyal to. If our players have a problem with the pitch at BMO Field, we have a problem with the pitch.

torontocelt
06-09-2009, 06:07 AM

Every time a player steps on the pitch he should be motivated to play his best, you were implying that it is okay for players to pick and choose what matches they can be arsed for. Could you imagine Sir Alex listening to players saying 'I cant be arsed with that the Madrid match Alex it is only a friendly anyway', I am pretty sure he would go off his head at them. Winners want to play against the best and they want to win every single match that they play in, if you don't understand that then you are happy to settle for mediocrity and you are willing to provide excuses for it.

torontocelt
06-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Bang on.

Even Ricketts has played against big teams. Dichio used to be part of the Juventus squad and DeRo has scored on Chelsea.

Adrian Serioux nearly broke Beckham's leg he was so impressed with his elite status,ffs.

This notion that the players are ejaculating in their shorts over having to go up against an undeniably superior team while the grass issue underlines their peasant status for the world to see, is laughable.

So you don't think that the players should be looking forward to testing themselves against some of the best players in the world? Seriously some of you guys are so hell bent on this friendly that you will just say anything. No one is saying that they should be 'ejaculating' in their shorts but they should be excited at testing them selves against some of the best. You need to read any biography of Alex Ferguson or Jock Stein, maybe then you will understand what I am saying, these are two men that always want to win and always wanted their teams to play the best opposition they could. If Toronto FC cannot beat Vancouver etc then that is just not down to a lack of motivation alone, at the end of the day the group of players we have are not the best, not by a long shot, that is why they are playing in the MLS and that is whay they have finished last and second last in the league int he past two years.

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 07:14 AM
If Toronto FC cannot beat Vancouver etc then that is just not down to a lack of motivation alone, at the end of the day the group of players we have are not the best, not by a long shot, that is why they are playing in the MLS and that is whay they have finished last and second last in the league int he past two years.

And why they should concentrate on the basics of trying to improve their game rather than playing against teams that are so far out of their league it isn't funny.

And no, I don't think our players should be looking forward to 'testing themselves' against Real Madrid, they know their limitations and why they are playing in MLS, and don't need the added pressure of trying to save face while they are floundering in the league.

Fort York Redcoat
06-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I don't blame players for wanting to play big teams. They didn't ask to bring them here and know full well the possible hindrances to their season but they have no choice in the matter.

boban
06-09-2009, 09:04 AM
True...and I doubt the facility is running at full capacity in the winter months.
I beg to differ.
From stories I hear it is rammed during those months.
So many times on late Saturday nights you see players coming out.

Pookie
06-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I beg to differ.

In the winter, at 2pm on a Wednesday... there are leagues running?

I'd imagine it is like many indoor domes in cities... rentals pick up from 5pm to 11pm weekdays when people are off work.

Roogsy
06-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I beg to differ.

As was just questioned...late Saturday nights is different than mid-day mid-week. I know TFC ain't playing...so who is using it? Certainly not school...they can't pay for textbooks let alone renting facilities.

Titan
06-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Yes I do!

It was Lombardo who had the Juventus connection, LMAO.

Even Lombardo wouldn't be starstruck!

Pretty sure Lombardo played for Atalanta (once) and was loaned out to Perguia and Reiti (where he played a combined 10 games). However, according to his wiki page, he is a fan of Juventus.

ExiledRed
06-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Pretty sure Lombardo played for Atalanta (once) and was loaned out to Perguia and Reiti (where he played a combined 10 games). However, according to his wiki page, he is a fan of Juventus.

You're right, I'm getting well old and my mind is playing tricks on me.

It was Ronnie O Brien who had Juventus on his resume.

I was thinking Lombardo was briefly part of their youth set up, but I was wrong.