PDA

View Full Version : The Only True Way to Boycott

stu!
06-04-2009, 07:12 AM
I don't know if it's ever been stated here before but after reading countless threads of boycotting this and protesting that, it's come to mind that the only true way to make a (huge) statement it to actually boycott a league game.

Don't come to the Saturday game against LA and hold on to your tickets.

Seriously, an empty and quiet south stand would grab the attention more than standing by the gates at a Real Madrid game that will be packed anyway.

You want to make a scene, skip a game en masse. That would raise several eyebrows.

Just my 2 cents....

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Disagree. It takes more effort to show up and leave prematurely than not come at all.

SQUIRREL
06-04-2009, 07:37 AM
I actually agree with stu!, It might not be the right thing to do but if your looking to make a point, that would definitley raise some eyebrows. I mean if the games on TV and there's nobody in the south end......There will be some questions by the media. I can hear Dobson or Nigel bringing it up (not sure if it's Sportsnet or CBC that will be airing the game.)

As for being supporters, you can still watch the game together @ shoeless joes. Your not neccessarily abandoning the team your still watching on TV with a group of RPB's (and technically still paying the team ie. season tickets) I know that MLSE doesn't care about one individual that threatens not to come but a section that gives the life blood of the stadium would be noticed.

***** IMPORTANT *****
Before people start ripping into me, I agree with stu!'s point that if you have a section that doesn't show there will have to be some explaining to do....but I don't know if a few losses in a row ( I know Vancouver killed me inside) needs a message like that. If it was something more serious I think it would be a good act to do.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong.:scarf:

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2009, 07:41 AM
I actually agree with stu!, It might not be the right thing to do but if your looking to make a point, that would definitley raise some eyebrows. I mean if the games on TV and there's nobody in the south end......There will be some questions by the media. I can hear Dobson or Nigel bringing it up (not sure if it's Sportsnet or CBC that will be airing the game.)

As for being supporters, you can still watch the game together @ shoeless joes. Your not neccessarily abandoning the team your still watching on TV with a group of RPB's (and technically still paying the team ie. season tickets) I know that MLSE doesn't care about one individual that threatens not to come but a section that gives the life blood of the stadium would be noticed.

***** IMPORTANT *****
Before people start ripping into me, I agree with stu!'s point that if you have a section that doesn't show there will have to be some explaining to do....but I don't know if a few losses in a row ( I know Vancouver killed me inside) needs a message like that. If it was something more serious I think it would be a good act to do.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong.:scarf:
You don't think it would be more noticable if people left as the game started? The idea proposed here just makes it look like we didn't show up. That doesn't look like protest. It looks like lazy.

Afra
06-04-2009, 07:46 AM
You don't think it would be more noticable if people left as the game started? The idea proposed here just makes it look like we didn't show up. That doesn't look like protest. It looks like lazy.

Unless everyone is outside at the tailgate and just does not go in to the game. The tough part is that it is short notice. If it were planned for a game down the road then at least people know ahead of time and can refrain from planing to bring others to that game.

Carter
06-04-2009, 07:50 AM
I don't know if it's ever been stated here before but after reading countless threads of boycotting this and protesting that, it's come to mind that the only true way to make a (huge) statement it to actually boycott a league game.

Don't come to the Saturday game against LA and hold on to your tickets.

Seriously, an empty and quiet south stand would grab the attention more than standing by the gates at a Real Madrid game that will be packed anyway.

You want to make a scene, skip a game en masse. That would raise several eyebrows.

Just my 2 cents....

They already have your money, this would not be affective in anyway.

As Fort York said, leaving during the match would be alot more effective, this has been discussed in about 15 other threads now, i don't think another was needed.

Waggy
06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Unless everyone is outside at the tailgate and just does not go in to the game. The tough part is that it is short notice. If it were planned for a game down the road then at least people know ahead of time and can refrain from planing to bring others to that game.

Disagree, if signs and banners notifying people are around the entrances, esp gate 3, it'll be easy for people to find out.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-04-2009, 08:03 AM
My two cents... I've never yet seen a club's fans protest over simply losing too often for their liking. If we wanted a manager sacked or something, then I could see it, but that's not the case. If we protest we'll send one message and one message only to the rest of the world, that we're inexperienced football fans who can't take a wee losing streak. That's the way I see it, anyhow.

Carter
06-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Disagree, if signs and banners notifying people are around the entrances, esp gate 3, it'll be easy for people to find out.

What he was saying is that its easier if people weren't bringing friends that won't be onboard with the walkout idea.

I think you are attempting a losing battle 3 days is not enough time to prepare for something like this. Please see RPB member forums.

Sparta
06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
My two cents... I've never yet seen a club's fans protest over simply losing too often for their liking. If we wanted a manager sacked or something, then I could see it, but that's not the case. If we protest we'll send one message and one message only to the rest of the world, that we're inexperienced football fans who can't take a wee losing streak. That's the way I see it, anyhow.

Read the other threads -- its not just about losing to Vancouver

rviewmirror
06-04-2009, 08:45 AM

I suspect not all of TFC Brass read the boards and this protest (walking out) would be seen as a direct result of losing to Vancouver.......

The casual fan would definately not understand the protest.....

Sparta
06-04-2009, 08:48 AM
I suspect not all of TFC Brass read the boards and this protest (walking out) would be seen as a direct result of losing to Vancouver.......

The casual fan would definately not understand the protest.....

Your right -- i was just correcting "IamCanadian" that the reason is not just because of the lose

Hopefully if there is a walkout -- the chanting or signs will illustrate what the protest is for -- for the non-board readers

Frank Costanza
06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
i urge you dont do this, dont make us the best fan base ever look like pure goons,

we get cristized for so much in life, dont take this the one trully great thing about toronto sports and ruin it.

frank costanza is urging the red patch boys to show some patience, we will be ok
we may not be in the champs league this yr but this team is not going to take any steps back

please dont make us all looks like dikwads

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Go to the game, sing your songs, spend a bunch of cash on overpriced beer and let the front office take care of things. No need to voice concerns over anything.

*snaps*

RedMAN127
06-04-2009, 09:11 AM
shouldn't the boycot be the moved league game against NYRB if this is the contention;

alexintoronto
06-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Go to the game, sing your songs, spend a bunch of cash on overpriced beer and let the front office take care of things. No need to voice concerns over anything.

*snaps*
I knew this day was coming!

I hope you, and anyone else who wants to send a message, joins the walkout.

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 09:19 AM
I knew this day was coming!

I hope you, and anyone else who wants to send a message, joins the walkout.

Consider it done, Alex.

Don Julio
06-04-2009, 09:35 AM

Yeah.. It's about the friendly, about Mo, about firing Paul because Barrett can't score, about players not approaching the fans after a match, about the revoking of media credentials for amateur journalists, the grass, no DP, no coach...

Do you see a pattern here? When a boycott is about everything, ultimately it's about nothing. You'll come across as naive crybabies, especially since many of the arguments don't make any damn sense.

pubboy
06-04-2009, 10:09 AM
It's about respect. Personally, if they arent going to get a DP, then tell me that. Dont BS me so that i build up hopes. If there isnt gonna be a grass pitch, dont try to spin me lies (yeah yeah yeah - government, City etc etc).

The one thing i ask of MLSE / TFC, is treat us, the fans, with respect.

2freedom
06-04-2009, 10:16 AM
The question is... how many teams have you seen win a cup of some sort in their first 3 years as a club?? Espically and expansion team, not just a new league.

Toronto picked up some great players in the last year and a bit, they can't be perfect yet. Yes I really wasn't happy with TFC losing to the Whitecaps, but the Whitecaps have been around for a while. Look at any Premier Leauge team lose against any other team from any lower league in the FA cup. It and Shit happens!
TFC will get over this and move on!

They will never get a DP until they get grass, simple as that, you think Real Madrid will play their star players it most probably be their subs and second line playing, the main stars might come on as subs. I don't think they will let them play on something they can get injured on so easily. Look at the shape the pitch is in, that is what needs to be taken care of first!

Don Julio
06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
So add "respect" to the list then.

Seriously, if you're not demanding something specific and realistic then you just look like sore losers whining about a loss.

Steve
06-04-2009, 10:21 AM
It's about respect. Personally, if they arent going to get a DP, then tell me that. Dont BS me so that i build up hopes. If there isnt gonna be a grass pitch, dont try to spin me lies (yeah yeah yeah - government, City etc etc).

The one thing i ask of MLSE / TFC, is treat us, the fans, with respect.

What about if they do have it in the budget for a DP, but they haven't found the right one yet? If they tell you that (and they have) you'll just accuse them of lying. If they say "nope, no DP" then the board will just explode with "ML$E are greedy pigs! Here, let me post this witty and overplayed picture to prove my point!" even if they might get a DP later. If they say "yep, we will definitely sign a DP" and not find anyone good, they have two options, reneg, or sign Kiki to a DP contract to stand by their word.

Same goes for grass. What if the government IS actually responsible (which seems somewhat likely). If they say that, you accuse them of lying. If it is a revenue issue (let's say they cannot justify the required expenditure based on current and project revenue) they cannot come out and say that, because we'd just see that same "I think I'm hilarious" picture of pigs with money, and everyone would be complaining that of course MLSE has the money, look at the leafs, without understanding a damned thing about how business works.

Essentially, transparency is only good if the people you're giving the information to understand how to use it. Otherwise you're just handing out pitchforks and torches to a rilled up mob.

Blazer
06-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Walk out on a team I’m supposed to be passionate and “til I die” for? No thanks. I’m a loyal guy.

^ Shameful way to go about things wouldn’t ya say? (Rhetorical question)

When I have a tough go at things, it’s nice to know that the support I rely upon is there when I need them most and not running off to hide claiming to have never met me.

People need to stop taking this team’s progress (or lack thereof) so personally. This is entertainment not life and death or even a livelihood.

Shit.

stu!
06-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Doesn't have to this game. Only threw the LA game out there because it's the next one.

stu!
06-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Disagree. It takes more effort to show up and leave prematurely than not come at all.

Disagree. If properly coordinated, you could make it very effective. Use the guys with AV equipment to film where you are and post it all over the web.

pubboy
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
What about if they do have it in the budget for a DP, but they haven't found the right one yet? If they tell you that (and they have) you'll just accuse them of lying. If they say "nope, no DP" then the board will just explode with "ML$E are greedy pigs! Here, let me post this witty and overplayed picture to prove my point!" even if they might get a DP later. If they say "yep, we will definitely sign a DP" and not find anyone good, they have two options, reneg, or sign Kiki to a DP contract to stand by their word.

Same goes for grass. What if the government IS actually responsible (which seems somewhat likely). If they say that, you accuse them of lying. If it is a revenue issue (let's say they cannot justify the required expenditure based on current and project revenue) they cannot come out and say that, because we'd just see that same "I think I'm hilarious" picture of pigs with money, and everyone would be complaining that of course MLSE has the money, look at the leafs, without understanding a damned thing about how business works.

Essentially, transparency is only good if the people you're giving the information to understand how to use it. Otherwise you're just handing out pitchforks and torches to a rilled up mob.

Understand what you are saying (i think). I guess the trouble is, MLSE dont have a great reputation, hence the distrust. If they cannot justify the expenditure for grass, you dont think it woudl be better to bite the bullet and say so ? People see through BS, and the longer they string fans along, the less trust and confidence the fans will have in teh management. Believe me, i understand how business works, and treating your customer base like this is not good practice.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Walk out on a team I’m supposed to be passionate and “til I die” for? No thanks. I’m a loyal guy.

^ Shameful way to go about things wouldn’t ya say? (Rhetorical question)

When I have a tough go at things, it’s nice to know that the support I rely upon is there when I need them most and not running off to hide claiming to have never met me.

People need to stop taking this team’s progress (or lack thereof) so personally. This is entertainment not life and death or even a livelihood.

Shit.
I disagree on that last point- football IS life. ;) Especially when you pour as much of your time and money into the team as some here have.

But I will never stop supporting a team, as you said, that I claim to be passionate about.

stu!
06-04-2009, 10:32 AM

I only suggested it because there is always someone suggesting a protest for something every other day on these boards.

I remember back in the day is the Habs fans were upset with the team and/or the management, they'd stop showing up at the Forum. It was a message that their FO seemed to take to heart.

BMO Field and the TFC game day experience would be nothing without all the efforts of the various supporters groups. A game with them missing from the scene would be hugely noticable.

GabrielHurl
06-04-2009, 10:36 AM
This is entertainment not life and death or even a livelihood.

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I only suggested it because there is always someone suggesting a protest for something every other day on these boards.

I remember back in the day is the Habs fans were upset with the team and/or the management, they'd stop showing up at the Forum. It was a message that their FO seemed to take to heart.

BMO Field and the TFC game day experience would be nothing without all the efforts of the various supporters groups. A game with them missing from the scene would be hugely noticable.
It would be, but it would also be massively hypocritical. We claim to support TFC no matter what; 'no matter what' implies through fair AND foul weather (literally and figuratively). You've no idea how many ex-Leaf fans I know, who are just waiting for them to start winning again to get back on the bandwagon.

I learned two things from my grandfather: one was that you never quit, and the other was to always do the best you can at whatever you do. I couldn't boycott TFC if I tried. Quitting on a team over a loss goes against everything I believe in.

T.Reis
06-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Travel to Barrie on Saturday and go see the Lynx play Cincinnati instead. Let them know your willing to throw your support ( and $$$) somewhere else.

stu!
06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
It would be, but it would also be massively hypocritical. We claim to support TFC no matter what; 'no matter what' implies through fair AND foul weather (literally and figuratively). You've no idea how many ex-Leaf fans I know, who are just waiting for them to start winning again to get back on the bandwagon.
Hey, I don't disagree with what you are saying here. I was just thinking aloud what would be a noticable type of display to show your (supporters groups) displeasure.

You keep lining up to get in and be gouged at the concessions and all the while keep singing, dancing and waving flags, the bigwigs in the high boxes are going to continue like it's "just another day in the shop".

Chevy
06-04-2009, 10:49 AM

+1. My 2cents (reposted)...

It's evident that the venom is directed at two sources - the players and "management". Both are a huge dissapointment right now, so a walkout on Saturday will hurt both, and I guess that's fair if you take a snapshot in time.

However, I will go out on a limb by saying althought most supporters are upset with the recent play, in the long run we like to and want to support the boys. Therefore I just don't think a walkout is fair to them. Its not a form of support, it is abandonment.

We also know, unfortunately, that "management" won't change overnight, but there is a chance that the play of the team will. I want to be there in support when that happens.

Now, its very possible that at 6pm on Saturday I will end up booing them off the pitch (belive it or not its a form of support and motivation). Its also possible that I will still have a bag over my head, but I want to be in the stands, I hope to be in the stands when the boys show me that I should rip that fucking bag off my head.

As for "management", well....

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey, I don't disagree with what you are saying here. I was just thinking aloud what would be a noticable type of display to show your (supporters groups) displeasure.

You keep lining up to get in and be gouged at the concessions and all the while keep singing, dancing and waving flags, the bigwigs in the high boxes are going to continue like it's "just another day in the shop".
This is so. And I realize I'm sounding like a 'Beleafer' here. But I just think completely walking out on the team isn't the right thing to do. Bringing banners demanding grass, resignations, whatever is something I could agree with.

Carter
06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

+1 ;):rolleyes:

Carter
06-04-2009, 11:06 AM

I think this speak is ridiculous, and should be stopped now, we have 15 other threads about his same thing.

The international way of showing displeasure is turning your back to the pitch.

I, for one will NEVER EVER EVER no matter how mad i am, WALK OUT ON THE LADS ON THE FIELD.

billygrieveuk
06-04-2009, 11:45 AM
why is there always talk of boycotting games....
what are we protesting now?
that we have to pay to see real madrid play in toronto?

we are in our 3rd season, its a new franchise, and we are playing in a second class league. I'm not sure what everyone is expecting.
Fuk the MLSE? for what? If it wsnt for them we'd be up at centennial park watching pure shit. At least with TFC we get a chance to see big teams, and dream.
See you on saturday.

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 11:48 AM

we are in our 3rd season, its a new franchise, and we are playing in a second class league. I'm not sure what everyone is expecting.
Fuk the MLSE? for what? If it wsnt for them we'd be up at centennial park watching pure shit. At least with TFC we get a chance to see big teams, and dream.
See you on saturday.

Instead we're at BMO Field watching pure shit.

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2009, 11:56 AM

First thread you've read in a while? The reasons are out there. I said i'm in for the walkout but we need more unity for reesults. It seems like this may not be the right time to show how we feel.

I still disagree that just not showing up will tell them anything. flooding the internet with footage afterwards less so.

jrober38
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Honestly, if people are upset and want to make a statement to the franchise, do what the OP said and don't go to the game. Going to the game and trying to organize a 'walk out' in the time leading up to the game will not work. There isn't enough coordination between supporters groups to get something that serious organized in the short amount of time leading up to the game.

If you're upset to the point that you want significant change, just don't go to the games. Take a stand and eat the cost of your tickets. Empty seats will send more of a message than a disorganized 'walk out' where only a small portion of the crowd participates.

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Honestly, if people are upset and want to make a statement to the franchise, do what the OP said and don't go to the game. Going to the game and trying to organize a 'walk out' in the time leading up to the game will not work. There isn't enough coordination between supporters groups to get something that serious organized in the short amount of time leading up to the game.

If you're upset to the point that you want significant change, just don't go to the games. Take a stand and eat the cost of your tickets. Empty seats will send more of a message than a disorganized 'walk out' where only a small portion of the crowd participates.

The seats are left empty either way. How is not making the effort to go more of an accomplishment?

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 12:05 PM

They have our money already so who gives a shit about empty seats? Money's in the bank.

GabrielHurl
06-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Here's what you do

- Sing the anthem
- at the kickoff walk out

It's not rocket surgery

jrober38
06-04-2009, 12:10 PM
The seats are left empty either way. How is not making the effort to go more of an accomplishment?

How is it any different than walking out of the stadium after kick off? The TV commentators aren't going to notice. The few people who do leave will just blend into the crowd that's going to the concessions or the washrooms.

A protest is only effective if it is highly organized and the biggest flaw with going to the game and expecting a large number of people to watch out is that there is minimal organization. How many people will actually know what's going on when it happens? And more importantly, how many people are actually going to do it with limited time to consider what they're doing.

It seems pretty simple to me in that if you're not happy with the product that's on the field, don't go to the games. Eventually if enough people feel the same way game day attendence will fall and management will actually take notice.

Trying to run a protest with limited organization for one game isn't going to accomplish anything.

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 12:13 PM
It seems pretty simple to me in that if you're not happy with the product that's on the field, don't go to the games. Eventually if enough people feel the same way game day attendence will fall and management will actually take notice.

Empty stadiums worked wonders for Toronto Lynx.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-04-2009, 12:16 PM
TFC already get virtually no coverage from the major media outlets in this country, something tells me empty an empty stadium won't change that for the better, I agree.

jrober38
06-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Empty stadiums worked wonders for Toronto Lynx.

Realistically nothing is ever going to change with TFC because the demand for their product is so huge. People cannot go to games and people cannot renew their tickets but right now given the size of the wait list for tickets its a foregone conclusion that the stadium will always sell out.

The fundamental problem with TFC and every MLSE run sports franchise is that ownership doesn't have an interest in having the team do well so long as seats are being filled. Fans who want to watch the highest level of domestic soccer don't have an alternative to TFC and as a result there will always be demand for the product MLSE puts on the pitch.

It all goes back to ownership. Just look at what's going on with Balsilli trying to bring a team to the Leafs backyard. They don't want it to happen because they don't want their fans to see what life is like when there's an alternative to paying $100 for a Leafs game to watch crap skate around on the ice.

Without anyone challenging TFC for fan support in Toronto, and even Ontario, MLSE will continue to fulfill thier desired profit margins by putting the same crap on the field.

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2009, 12:27 PM
How is it any different than walking out of the stadium after kick off? The TV commentators aren't going to notice. The few people who do leave will just blend into the crowd that's going to the concessions or the washrooms.

A protest is only effective if it is highly organized and the biggest flaw with going to the game and expecting a large number of people to watch out is that there is minimal organization. How many people will actually know what's going on when it happens? And more importantly, how many people are actually going to do it with limited time to consider what they're doing.

Trying to run a protest with limited organization for one game isn't going to accomplish anything.

Trying to run a protest with people who will wait eventually for their apathetic efforts to be felt versus trying to make a visual statement won't accomplish anything. You're right. With enough people like yourself a walkout protest is doomed to fail.

You envision a small sparse group leaving. If you can't envision what it would look like to see the entire sets of SGs leaving it's clear a protest wouldn't work. God damn shame.

Nobody here is going to know why you stayed home to protest on your sofa.

Jeff s
06-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Omg, this is really getting stupid.

Ya Im pissed off about the other shit to. But you know what? We're still in the playoff spot, and we're still even in the Canada cup (even though its gonna be hard to win it). It would look really stupid if we manage to pull a miracle in Montreal and if we end up going to the playoffs.

Really if your gonna protest, do it in a time when its certain we are out of the playoffs again etc. and theres a demand in change of management. Doing it this week is just stupid.

Pachuco
06-04-2009, 12:39 PM

See you on saturday.

Yeah, we're in a second class league and can't beat third class teams. You telling me you don't expect to beat USL teams in a 3 team tournament EVERYTIME?

jrober38
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Trying to run a protest with people who will wait eventually for their apathetic efforts to be felt versus trying to make a visual statement won't accomplish anything. You're right. With enough people like yourself a walkout protest is doomed to fail.

You envision a small sparse group leaving. If you can't envision what it would look like to see the entire sets of SGs leaving it's clear a protest wouldn't work. God damn shame.

Nobody here is going to know why you stayed home to protest on your sofa.

You're right. Sitting at home and eating the cost of tickets clearly indicates that I'm satisfied with the direction of the team.

If the protest works and everyone in the south east corner of the stadium leaves, great! I just don't see the average fan quickly accepting that they are supposed to leave the stadium when some people they don't know tell them to. Because of that I don't see very many people actually walking out on the game. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Carter
06-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, we're in a second class league and can't beat third class teams. You telling me you don't expect to beat USL teams in a 3 team tournament EVERYTIME?

Actually i do believe that they are a second class team as well, from the reports on MLS website they join the league in 2011, and will most likely keep the same team they currently got.

Pachuco
06-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Actually i do believe that they are a second class team as well, from the reports on MLS website they join the league in 2011, and will most likely keep the same team they currently got.

That is about the dumbest thing I've heard. Are they in the MLS TODAY? NO. How the heck would you know if they are keeping the same team for another 2 years when they are going into a better league?

Sorry man, they are a third class team playing in a stadium that fits 7000 people.

Fine if you don't expect to beat them (you have low expectations), but don't tell me they are not in a league below us.

Brooker
06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
im bringing my brother to his first TFC game of the year.

do you think fans like him "casuals" are gonna go all the way to Toronto to not see a game?

RedRum
06-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Nobody gives a shit if "casuals" walk out. He wouldn't be missed, but vocal support would.

stu!
06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
You're right. Sitting at home and eating the cost of tickets clearly indicates that I'm satisfied with the direction of the team.

If the protest works and everyone in the south east corner of the stadium leaves, great! I just don't see the average fan quickly accepting that they are supposed to leave the stadium when some people they don't know tell them to. Because of that I don't see very many people actually walking out on the game. Hopefully I'm wrong.

If anything is ever arranged, it's the Supporters Groups that have to be noticed... the diehards. It's not directed to the average or casual fan.

I knew a storm would start with this topic as it does with others but I wasn't actually saying "hey let's do a boycott" it was more of a "if you were to do a protest, you should do it like this...."

The life's blood of this team's success (in popularity terms) has been the collective efforts of all of YOU PEOPLE and the other groups that give the same effort in leading the stadium week in and week out.

You are also the same people who seem to have the most concerns with the product on the pitch and the direction of the team from the front office standpoint. In some cases the passion displayed on these forums goes overboard and protests, boycotts, firings, lynch mobs get suggested and everyone gets themselves all worked up and then it fizzles out until the next time something goes awry.

If the life's blood of the club and ones responsible for creating the incredible vibe in the stadium were all absent at the same time, it would be incredibly visible (from being invisible ironically enough).

There is obviously a lot of bitter people out there right now and I think most of it is directed towards the executive boxes rather than the lads. Whether you're p.o'd at the way MLSE has handled the Real Madrid match or the other friendlies (or lack thereof) or the lack of grass, or the lack of a DP, or a better coach or GM or the lack of Guinness.... whatever, there seems to be some very passionate folk with some very valid concerns. Showing up 18 times a year and maintaining the same passion (nothing wrong with that) is not going to gain the attention of the people that you need to have the attention of.

Supporters Group sections that have the sound of crickets chirping in them, would be newsworthy.

In my humblest opinion of course... :cool:

james
06-04-2009, 06:12 PM
no one even knows what they are boycotting for. Grass? crap play? crap Management? high priced Real Madrid game?

Get are shit together and everyone on the same page then you can protest...this saturday is to soon and we are way to unorganized to do anything right now!

james
06-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Realistically nothing is ever going to change with TFC because the demand for their product is so huge. People cannot go to games and people cannot renew their tickets but right now given the size of the wait list for tickets its a foregone conclusion that the stadium will always sell out.

The fundamental problem with TFC and every MLSE run sports franchise is that ownership doesn't have an interest in having the team do well so long as seats are being filled. Fans who want to watch the highest level of domestic soccer don't have an alternative to TFC and as a result there will always be demand for the product MLSE puts on the pitch.

It all goes back to ownership. Just look at what's going on with Balsilli trying to bring a team to the Leafs backyard. They don't want it to happen because they don't want their fans to see what life is like when there's an alternative to paying $100 for a Leafs game to watch crap skate around on the ice.

Without anyone challenging TFC for fan support in Toronto, and even Ontario, MLSE will continue to fulfill thier desired profit margins by putting the same crap on the field.

thing is people can get tickets to games, ive got many extra tickets straight from the ticket trade. 1 day at about 11am 3 of my friends asked if they could get tickets for the 3pm game, i said i check, with in like half an hour i got them 3 ticekts. Many people only look at the Toronto ticketmaster, but if they look else where tickets are pretty easy to get. In Oakville, the Oakville soccer club gets hundreds of tickets for every match. Call them and they often got spare ticekts.

Also i think that waitting list isnt as big as they say. Many of those fans on the list only want south end ticekts cause they cheap, they wont buy tickets else where.

Marco2K
06-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I am pissed cause the team sucks and they have to know that we dont like it.

I wont be yelling or chanting this game.

I dont give a shit