PDA

View Full Version : @ CBC: John Molinaro et al...

FluSH
06-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Is the following True:

"We have CBC angry with us because the players who are to be on the post game interview take too long because they are out there applauding you." -mlsintoronto

I just want to know if this is the reason why players don't even give us a nod at the games anymore, while visiting supporters in our house get saluted by their team...

Is this how you expect to win viewership? From us?

Waggy
06-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Man, I understand the anger Flush, but do you really think CBC would care that much about something that takes 30-40 seconds? It may just be someone to do the ol "ooohhh something shiny!" trick to get our eyes off them.

TFC07
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow, just wow...I hope this isn't true.

FluSH
06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Man, I understand the anger Flush, but do you really think CBC would care that much about something that takes 30-40 seconds? It may just be someone to do the ol "ooohhh something shiny!" trick to get our eyes off them.

I just want to make sure I have my facts straight. John Molinaro is respected around here... at least when he is not defending Cathal Kelly... and well this looks bad on CBC.

Really bad on CBC... that they are pressuring the players to disregard The Home crowd that CBC often talks about...

In fact... John Molinaro is often on here asking how CBC can improve the show... asking for constructive feedback...

Well... Is this someone's idea at CBC? of improving the show???

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
CBC cant run a proper interview segment...they cant run over their precious news that people can watcg all day on newsworld..they want the players to not go to the fans just to ask a 60-90 second interview?
CBC has not done enought to promote the team, in fact they promote
other sports during a tfc broadcast, like HNIC which is pathetic..And the fact they are doing a piss poor attempt at the confederations cup coverage by ignoring some games, stuffing them on the computer shows
cbc lack for interest in the sport...MLSE should once and for all tell the cbc
to f**k off and die...and take away the leafs games from them..cbc
would struggle to survive without hockey and we all know that.

alexintoronto
06-03-2009, 08:27 PM
If that's the case why wouldn't they just pull the 1 or 2 players off the field who they want to interview and let the others do what they want.

Cambridge_Red
06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
If that's the case why wouldn't they just pull the 1 or 2 players off the field who they want to interview and let the others do what they want.

Because common sense isn't so common.

FluSH
06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Just trying to get my facts here... I've always been grateful of CBC... but this is not cool...

olegunnar
06-03-2009, 08:35 PM
He can't answer the question

If the answer is yes....oh boy

If the answer is no...he can't expose the FO like that...he needs his credentials.

ParadymeTFC
06-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Why not PM him? no need to drag John into this mess and put him on the stand for everyone to see.

MFG1
06-03-2009, 08:36 PM
heres one , have the reporter stand in the area, reel in who they want to speak to, dont have your back to the section if you are worried about what goes on in the back ground

FluSH
06-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Why not PM him? no need to drag John into this mess and put him on the stand for everyone to see.

I don't do PM's.

MFBODD
06-03-2009, 08:58 PM
CBC cant run a proper interview segment...they cant run over their precious news that people can watcg all day on newsworld..they want the players to not go to the fans just to ask a 60-90 second interview?
CBC has not done enought to promote the team, in fact they promote
other sports during a tfc broadcast, like HNIC which is pathetic..And the fact they are doing a piss poor attempt at the confederations cup coverage by ignoring some games, stuffing them on the computer shows
cbc lack for interest in the sport...MLSE should once and for all tell the cbc
to f**k off and die...and take away the leafs games from them..cbc
would struggle to survive without hockey and we all know that.

The CBC stuggles to survive now and has been for years.

Pookie
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
IF it's true that CBC is the cause, does that mean that the players will come over during home games televised on GOLTV or Sportsnet?

Of the 7 MLS home games played to-date, 2 were on GOLTV (rest on CBC).

1 V-Cup game was played at home televised on Sportsnet and the other was only available on the web.

In short, that's 5 games out of 9 on CBC. So, did the players come out to applaud the fans in those other 4?

If not, it wouldn't be reasonable to say that CBC is the main/only cause of this snubbing.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
The CBC stuggles to survive now and has been for years.

at least they cant spend big money on the olympics anymore..but like the auto companies the goverment should not be helping out cbc, privatize
the corperation and let it sink or swim on its own...no more handouts.

FluSH
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry John... I truly am... but I didn't bring CBC into this... I did give you a chance to respond though... even a no comment would have been nice...

So.... whoever received the answer via PM... please be kind enough to share:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/Kenny31/JM2.jpg
(public info taken from tonight)

Thank You

K1nG
06-03-2009, 09:30 PM
CBC could easily kill that 30-40 seconds with Gina Bacci squinting while reading the results of her fan poll off of her blackberry. If Im not mistaken the last poll was something along the lines of .. which TFC player is for Juve? The mere fact that she is involved in the production makes it seem amateur. CBC = no soccer cred in my books.

Cambridge_Red
06-03-2009, 09:31 PM
wow thats all I got

K1nG
06-03-2009, 09:31 PM
wow, he can't even publicly speak on the matter.

ensco
06-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Sorry, but what's surprising about this?

Anyone here ever see the documentary "The War Room", about the 1992 US election? TV networks were bossing around the Presidential candidates every day.

The TV people may not be polite about it, but it has got nothing to do with football or TFC.

wzhxvy
06-03-2009, 10:00 PM
A part of me does feel bad for these guys being called out in public...but they are on a public forum representing their companies...you have to take the good with the bad I guess.

K1nG
06-03-2009, 10:07 PM
come on answer FluSh's question. Is discouraging players from applauding their true supporters the way you expect to win our viewership? Maybe you all were behind the majority of the team not aknowledging us at Columbus.

reggie
06-03-2009, 10:19 PM
f off to cbc ,f off to paul, f off to MO, f off to those strikers who could'nt hit a side of a barn,,,i'm still pissed.
see you guys saturday,i'm not wearing any red this saturday and i will not spend a penny in bmo and i will park on the street, i rather get a parking ticket then give those fuckers my money.

RedMAN127
06-03-2009, 10:38 PM
CBC could easily kill that 30-40 seconds with Gina Bacci squinting while reading the results of her fan poll off of her blackberry. If Im not mistaken the last poll was something along the lines of .. which TFC player is for Juve? The mere fact that she is involved in the production makes it seem amateur. CBC = no soccer cred in my books.

^+1 painful to watch and pointless ... dont see alot of the home games on tv so maybe I just caught her bad days.

FluSH
06-04-2009, 09:21 AM
tick
tock

TorontoBlades
06-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Maybe he was private messaging Paul...

but it's black & white here.....you've used us to get your viewership and the reading on your articles up - you have every opportunity to answer to us in the same manner

re Flush not doing PMs - my respect went up yet another notch for you dude

RedsYNWA
06-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Maybe it's the team??? that no longer wants to come over and applaud us for our support.......I remember during the Canada Jamaica game we all gave it our best effort to make a pro Canada crowd in DECADES, so we tied, who cares was there any acknowlagement from Players ? NIL tsk tsk tsk

Steve
06-04-2009, 09:40 AM
He isn't going to answer. As has been said, either he alienates the fans, or he pisses of the FO. Lose Lose.

This is the first time I've seen representatives from organizations (CBC, TFC) active on a message board, and I must say I've learned a lot. Mainly, that there is a lot of risk involved, and I don't think it's worth it in the long run. Sure, sometimes they can calm down a situation before it gets out of control, but you risk a mass riot since people start to demand and expect answers from you (where a simple "no comment" would do in front of the media, on a message board it's not taken quite so well). mlsintoronto probably got a little too comfortable here. He started feeling more like a part of the community, than like an outsider. He joked around, which was appreciated by some, but villified by others. In short, he got too attached and, as the other thread shows, is being crucified for it.

And I don't care to defend Paul, or MLSE, or anything else, but I do understand that he has a job to do, just like the rest of us. That job is in part (or in whole) to make money for MLSE. Sometimes that involves catering to the supporters, sometimes it involves bringing in Real Madrid. All I can say is I hope he gets paid a hell of a lot to put up with this shit (because I know I wouldn't want to in my job).

GabrielHurl
06-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Maybe it's the team??? that no longer wants to come over and applaud us for our support.......I remember during the Canada Jamaica game we all gave it our best effort to make a pro Canada crowd in DECADES, so we tied, who cares was there any acknowlagement from Players ? NIL tsk tsk tsk

I highly doubt that

Northern Soul
06-04-2009, 10:11 AM
He isn't going to answer. As has been said, either he alienates the fans, or he pisses of the FO. Lose Lose.

This is the first time I've seen representatives from organizations (CBC, TFC) active on a message board, and I must say I've learned a lot. Mainly, that there is a lot of risk involved, and I don't think it's worth it in the long run. Sure, sometimes they can calm down a situation before it gets out of control, but you risk a mass riot since people start to demand and expect answers from you (where a simple "no comment" would do in front of the media, on a message board it's not taken quite so well). mlsintoronto probably got a little too comfortable here. He started feeling more like a part of the community, than like an outsider. He joked around, which was appreciated by some, but villified by others. In short, he got too attached and, as the other thread shows, is being crucified for it.

And I don't care to defend Paul, or MLSE, or anything else, but I do understand that he has a job to do, just like the rest of us. That job is in part (or in whole) to make money for MLSE. Sometimes that involves catering to the supporters, sometimes it involves bringing in Real Madrid. All I can say is I hope he gets paid a hell of a lot to put up with this shit (because I know I wouldn't want to in my job).

It might be a lose-lose situation for him, but if you're going to make yourself known publicly on a message board as a representative of your company, it's a fair question that I think he should answer.

Steve
06-04-2009, 10:15 AM
It might be a lose-lose situation for him, but if you're going to make yourself known publicly on a message board as a representative of your company, it's a fair question that I think he should answer.

Which is exactly my point. By joining the message board, he has exposed himself to exactly that line of reasoning. He is now expected to answer a question there is no real way to answer (either you piss off CBC, or you piss off TFC). So, are you still adament he do this, even if it means he takes the fall for CBC (there could be repercussions to his job)? Considering he isn't even the one most people are angry at right now?

Darlofletch
06-04-2009, 10:30 AM

Remember when Carver left, because apparently "MLS told him he had to be on the sideline", then MLS came out and completely denied that.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if this is just another lame TFC "it's not our fault, these other people made us do it" excuse to try and deflect attention from themselves.

Carts
06-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Flush, this is a great question for Jon, and I want to hear his answer...

My 2 cents...

What I don't understand about the entire "post game interview on CBC has them mad because players aren't there" is this...

Would any of us care, if every player on the team, except one, came over and saluted us because he was doing an interview...???

Here's the scenario: Toronto FC wins 2-nil. MOTM, Stefan Frei. After the game CBC grabs hims to do an interview right away while the entire rest of the team comes over to 'tip the hat' to the supporters. As they're walking off Frei finishes the interview, looks over and applauds us. Would that really bother anyone...???

TV is important. Supporters are important. You can please both, very very very easily...

Carts...

greatwhitenorf
06-04-2009, 11:01 AM
They don't exactly split the atom with those pre-,mid-, or post-game sideline interviews, do they? Usually just a bunch of cliches spouted by an out of breath player who looks like he's enjoying it about as much as a colonoscopy.

I'm just so bored with those ridiculous sideline reports - brought to us by Bimbo Bread - where they basically tell us 'the guys are really pumped up for this one', or 'the sky is blue, the grass is green and it's a beautiful day for football'. Blleeahhh!

Show us the game. Give us good analysis of the highlights. Cut to crowd giving its fawning adulation to the players. Done.

And King, bang on about the silliness of the girl reporter with the stoopid fan polls.

Can't really comment on GOL TV anymore because it's unwatchable.

Waggy
06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Come on, this is a really unfair situation for John. None of us, here, speak for our organizations. John doesn't speak for CBC, he just tells their side of the story for us. Asking him to jump in the middle and risk potentially his livelyhood because of a rumor started by someone else is. Johns done nothing but inform and help us where he can, he doesn't deserve this at all. I can't emphasize how strongly against this I am. We should be focusing our anger at the right places

C.Ronaldo
06-04-2009, 11:09 AM
John can do one thing.........speak to his PR (which is a completely non value adding department) and get them to answer us

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-04-2009, 11:24 AM

CBC has never had credibilty as far as soccer...they butchered the 1986 World Cup having Steve( special 1) Armitage doing the commentray.what
a disaster he was...one wonder we didnt score a goal he was that boring!
The fan poll stuff is bullcrap they could run that on their web page without intruding to the game it self.

Roogsy
06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
CBC has never had credibilty as far as soccer...they butchered the 1986 World Cup having Steve( special 1) Armitage doing the commentray.what
a disaster he was...one wonder we didnt score a goal he was that boring!
The fan poll stuff is bullcrap they could run that on their web page without intruding to the game it self.

You're angry at them because of the 1986 World Cup??? :lol:

SilverSamurai
06-04-2009, 12:39 PM
+1. LOL

Pachuco
06-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Worst. He managed to blame CBC for the lack of goals Canada scored. LOL

johnmolinaro
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Hello gang,

Sorry about not responding to this earlier, but I've been away from the board for about a week (no reflection on you guys, just been insanely busy at work).

I read what Paul wrote. I'd like to give you our side of the story, but the truth is I don't know what our side is - remember, I work in the online dept and I'm not with the TV dept.

But let me talk to some people and I will provide an answer as soon as I can.

In the interim, can I respectfully ask that we keep all of the CBC-bashing with regards to this issue to a minimum?

I know all of you aren't doing it, but I do find it troubling that a lot of the negative comments about the CBC are based on one person's side of the story. Let me talk to some people so I can present you with our side of the story and then we can go from there. Sound fair?

John

Azerban
06-04-2009, 01:05 PM
yay open discourse

Ageroo
06-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Hello gang,

Sorry about not responding to this earlier, but I've away from the board for about a week (no reflection on you guys, just been insanely busy at work).

I read what Paul wrote. I'd like to give you our side of the story, but the truth is I don't what our side is - remember, I work in the online dept and I'm not with the TV dept.

In the interim, can I respectfully ask that we keep all of the CBC-bashing with regards to this issue to a minimum?

I know all of you aren't doing it, but I do find it troubling that a lot of the negative comments about the CBC are based on one person's side of the story. Let me talk to some people so I can present you with our side of the story and then we can go from there. Sound fair?

John

Thanks for the response John! I am sure many are eager to hear more.

Carts
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Hello gang,

Sorry about not responding to this earlier, but I've away from the board for about a week (no reflection on you guys, just been insanely busy at work).

I read what Paul wrote. I'd like to give you our side of the story, but the truth is I don't what our side is - remember, I work in the online dept and I'm not with the TV dept.

John

Thanks for responding John...

Please don't take my post as a 'CBC bash'...

Working in TV, I know how every second counts and is precious, and needs to be treated as such...

My point is/was, CBC (or RSN, GOL) should have the right to grab a player immediately after the game - just because they grab one, doesn't mean the other 19 players can't come applaud the supporters...

As I said earlier, TV is key for the sport to grow. Hell, I've seen players almost miss the Stanley Cup photo because they're doing a post-game interview. They're important, and should be treated as such....

It is very easy to please everyone in this case. 1-guy is interviewed, the rest applaud the supporters...

Carts...

johnmolinaro
06-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Come on, this is a really unfair situation for John. None of us, here, speak for our organizations. John doesn't speak for CBC, he just tells their side of the story for us. Asking him to jump in the middle and risk potentially his livelyhood because of a rumor started by someone else is. Johns done nothing but inform and help us where he can, he doesn't deserve this at all. I can't emphasize how strongly against this I am. We should be focusing our anger at the right places

Thank you for your support, Waggy. It hasn't gone unnoticed.

pubboy
Hello gang,

John

Very Fair - thanks John

kingjerk
That's how a professional responds, not with glib remarks ... way to go John, thanks.

TFC_Chris
06-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Hello gang,

John

Hold on. You're asking us to wait and hear both sides of the story and act like rational people?

HOW DARE YOU JOHN!!! :D

I'm actually curious as to what you find out.

werewolf
06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
That's how a professional responds, not with glib remarks ... way to go John, thanks.

:lol: fact.

FluSH
06-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Hello gang,

John

hahaha great request! =P

P.S. However TECHNICALLY you haven't been away from the boards for a week... because you were PM'ing yesterday... otherwise I will look like I am lying in my previous post

johnmolinaro
06-04-2009, 01:12 PM

Please don't take my post as a 'CBC bash'...

Working in TV, I know how every second counts and is precious, and needs to be treated as such...

My point is/was, CBC (or RSN, GOL) should have the right to grab a player immediately after the game - just because they grab one, doesn't mean the other 19 players can't come applaud the supporters...

As I said earlier, TV is key for the sport to grow. Hell, I've seen players almost miss the Stanley Cup photo because they're doing a post-game interview. They're important, and should be treated as such....

It is very easy to please everyone in this case. 1-guy is interviewed, the rest applaud the supporters...

Carts...

Carts,

I didn't take your post as a CBC bash, I was directing that comment towards other people.

As I said, my "silence" on this issue wasn't me avoiding the question, but instead entirely down to me be away from the board for several days.

Now that I've seen this issue raised, I will be speaking with people from the TV department and provide an answer as soon as I can.

Sound good?

FluSH
06-04-2009, 01:14 PM
cough cough... see my post above!

Carts
06-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Carts,

I didn't take your post as a CBC bash, I was directing that comment towards other people.

As I said, my "silence" on this issue wasn't me avoiding the question, but instead entirely down to me be away from the board for several days.

Now that I've seen this issue raised, I will be speaking with people from the TV department and provide an answer as soon as I can.

Sound good?

Sounds great. And goodstuff you didn't take it the wrong way...

They're so many posts going up these days - I'm rushing when I type and sometimes the point is lost in typos and forgotten words LOL...

Carts...

CoachGT
06-04-2009, 01:16 PM

Carts...

Or, perhaps, interview the coach, who generally doesn't come onto the field post game with the players like that anyways? Either way, players -1 doesn't make a difference.

And, despite a lot of heated tempers over the past few days, I'm pretty sure everyone on the board appreciates the support CBC gives to TFC, especially those who are unable to make it to games.

Pyeddo
06-04-2009, 01:16 PM

Agreed.

Northern Soul
06-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Hello gang,

John

That's all I was personally expecting as a response. Cheers!

greatwhitenorf
06-04-2009, 01:22 PM
John,

I didn't mean to bash CBC in particular with my comment. In general, I like how CBC cover sports and the fact they got out ahead by picking up soccer.

The comment is a reflection of all networks trying to out-do one another with an extra reporter here, an added camera there.

Why have an analyst when you can have a four-man committee of them?

Reporters between the hockey benches? Do you know how disliked that is by the players? And hordes of hand-held, wide-angle cameras getting into everyone's faces and blocking the view of the average fan.

Add all these gew-gaws to the bloated, largely meaingless seasons we're often forced to watch and it's no wonder people get frustrated trying to watch sports these days. It's not a video game and shouldn't be treated like one.

I just want to see a sport sell itself with the pictures and sound generated from the event and keep the talk around the event lean, functional and informative.

sulfur
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Or, perhaps, interview the coach, who generally doesn't come onto the field post game with the players like that anyways?
People watching TV want to hear from the players. After all, all coaches give glib and simple remarks that say nothing.

Occasionally players will blurt out something of interest.

BuSaPuNk
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM

+1!! Take note PB this is how a professional handles himself. Thanks John!!

Looking forward to what info you can get from your counterparts at CBC.

Waggy
06-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Thank you for your support, Waggy. It hasn't gone unnoticed.

No thanks neccesary. I'd hope if someone was tarnishing my name based on nothing more than unsubstantiated rumors that people would stand up for me as well. You became a target because you post here, and thats it. I appreciate the posts and the insite. You shouldn't be chased away with pitchforks and torches because of what company you work for.

But if you are talking to TV people, PLEEAAAASSSEEE get them to fire that girl who does the sideline stuff/crowd interviews. She makes me want to stab myself!!!! haha.

johnmolinaro
06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry John... I truly am... but I didn't bring CBC into this... I did give you a chance to respond though... even a no comment would have been nice...

So.... whoever received the answer via PM... please be kind enough to share:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/Kenny31/JM2.jpg
(public info taken from tonight)

Thank You

I was away from the board for about a week until last night when I sent the above PM message regarding our Confederations Cup coverage. As I said, I stumbled upon this thread only today - Believe me when I tell you I wasn't avoiding the issue.

Here's the PM message I sent:
Re: World Cup 2010 Quote:
Originally Posted by fetajr
Hey John,

I read that CBC has the rights to broadcast all world cup 2010 games next year.

Do you know if all of the games will be on the regular CBC channel (5, 5-1 over antenna)? or will some be on CBC Bold or anything less accessible? (please say no Bold)

I'm not exactly sure. I think most games will be on the main cbc network (and all games will be streamed live on CBCSports.ca) but I'm not sure if we'll be putting games on Bold.

John

BayernTFC
06-04-2009, 01:56 PM
But if you are talking to TV people, PLEEAAAASSSEEE get them to fire that girl who does the sideline stuff/crowd interviews. She makes me want to stab myself!!!! haha.

That's Gina Bucci. She is also a co-host of the TLN Soccer FanAtics. She actually knows her footy. I don't think that crowd interview stuff is her idea, but rather what the CBC is requiring her to do. I cringe when they put her segment on too, but I think the CBC can find better ways to utilize her.

http://www.tlntv.com/images/cms/SoccerFanatics.jpg

Waggy
06-04-2009, 02:05 PM
That's Gina Bucci. She is also a co-host of the TLN Soccer FanAtics. She actually knows her footy. I don't think that crowd interview stuff is her idea, but rather what the CBC is requiring her to do. I cringe when they put her segment on too, but I think the CBC can find better ways to utilize her.

http://www.tlntv.com/images/cms/SoccerFanatics.jpg

Shes great for unintensional comedy (her second time out I think it was, you could hear her trying to quiet the crowd around her down before the camera went to her, then you heard someone scream "FUCK YOU CUNT!" as the camera cut to her. The look on her face was PRICELESS. It may have been the funniest thing I've seen on CBC in.... well ever), but I don't care how well she knows soccer. it isn't helping her ask 6 year olds if they think TFC is getting screwed by the refs. Then shes just being annoying. Either use her properly, or don't use her at all.

Roogsy
06-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Shes great for unintensional comedy (her second time out I think it was, you could hear her trying to quiet the crowd around her down before the camera went to her, then you heard someone scream "FUCK YOU CUNT!" as the camera cut to her. The look on her face was PRICELESS. It may have been the funniest thing I've seen on CBC in.... well ever), but I don't care how well she knows soccer. it isn't helping her ask 6 year olds if they think TFC is getting screwed by the refs. Then shes just being annoying. Either use her properly, or don't use her at all.

Agreed.

I think she can be used properly. She is a big soccer fan and does appeal to a segment of the viewership. I think it's good they have her on, but I think they are misusing her completely.

johnmolinaro
06-04-2009, 02:09 PM
hahaha great request! =P

P.S. However TECHNICALLY you haven't been away from the boards for a week... because you were PM'ing yesterday... otherwise I will look like I am lying in my previous post

See my post above. Let's call a truce and say that neither one of us are liars! :)

BayernTFC
06-04-2009, 02:18 PM
but I don't care how well she knows soccer. it isn't helping her ask 6 year olds if they think TFC is getting screwed by the refs. Then shes just being annoying. Either use her properly, or don't use her at all.
I agree. That's why I made the statement:

I cringe when they put her segment on too, but I think the CBC can find better ways to utilize her.

vilerichard
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM

I have to say, that's a part of the CBC coverage that's difficult to enjoy...

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I was away from the board for about a week until last night when I sent the above PM message regarding our Confederations Cup coverage. As I said, I stumbled upon this thread only today - Believe me when I tell you I wasn't avoiding the issue.

Here's the PM message I sent:
Re: World Cup 2010 Quote:
Originally Posted by fetajr
Hey John,

I read that CBC has the rights to broadcast all world cup 2010 games next year.

Do you know if all of the games will be on the regular CBC channel (5, 5-1 over antenna)? or will some be on CBC Bold or anything less accessible? (please say no Bold)

I'm not exactly sure. I think most games will be on the main cbc network (and all games will be streamed live on CBCSports.ca) but I'm not sure if we'll be putting games on Bold.

John

none of this some games on the cbc network..put all of them on...even if on bold...none of this cbcsports.ca sh**e as football deserve better then being on a computer screen..either show it right or give up the right to a network that will.

johnmolinaro
06-04-2009, 02:26 PM
none of this some games on the cbc network..put all of them on...even if on bold...none of this cbcsports.ca sh**e as football deserve better then being on a computer screen..either show it right or give up the right to a network that will.

It's all about giving people choice. All of the games will be available online live and on-demand so people can watch it at their leisure. remember, not everyone will be in front of a TV when the games are going on live - which is why we make them available on thew computer.

John

Waggy
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I agree. That's why I made the statement:

Touche haha. No I think everyone who watches can agree that that part of the broadcast is horribly run. But short of interviewing players, what value does a sideline reporter really bring? Even those interviews aren't actually insiteful very often. Except for the od "Susy I want to kiss you" moment, all they're worth is a bathroom break. I'm really not sure how else they can utilize her.

H Bomb
06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
The computer streaming is simply in it's transitional mose. I, like many others here i'm sure, watch as much tv on the internet as on TV. The streams will only get better and the product mor tolerable. sadly transitional times rarely make either side happy

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-04-2009, 02:34 PM
It's all about giving people choice. All of the games will be available online live and on-demand so people can watch it at their leisure. remember, not everyone will be in front of a TV when the games are going on live - which is why we make them available on thew computer.

John

thats cool john...but like the confederations cup coming up some wont be on tv at all? and thats not right? if cbc no plans to show some games
then let Gol have them? i dont know cbc schedule in June but nothing major will be on as most shows and in repeats, and cbc could easily show all the games live.?

elvis
06-04-2009, 02:36 PM
I won't and didn't bash the CBC for this as I'm waiting for your response BUT I will continue to generally bash the CBC as they spend $2 billion of our taxpayers dollars...

;)

BayernTFC
06-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Touche haha. No I think everyone who watches can agree that that part of the broadcast is horribly run. But short of interviewing players, what value does a sideline reporter really bring? Even those interviews aren't actually insiteful very often. Except for the od "Susy I want to kiss you" moment, all they're worth is a bathroom break. I'm really not sure how else they can utilize her.
I understand what you are saying, although Gina isn't currently dispatched on the sidelines. I would envision CBC using Gina the same way they use Elliotte Friedman on HNIC or how Glenn Healy was used for Hockey broadcasts. Forcing interviews for the sake of interviewing is a pointless and boring exercise that adds little to the coverage. Sometimes there are unexpected officials in the stands, HNIC has interviewed Gary Bettman or a super fan like Mike Myers, which can be interesting. If the CBC is insistent on a fan interaction segment, it should be concerned with the game presently taking place. Perhaps connect the broadcast with an online poll for "Man of the Match" instead of the crappy ones that are being done now. No random interviews, and insightful comments as to why a particular player is deserving should be sought after. TFC supporters are knowledgeable and love to talk about their team and its performance. The camera isn't on Gina all game long, so she should easily be able to weed out the fans who have been watching the game and can tell which players are effective from anyone who would say "I think Robbo's MOM because he's got a cool accent". Just my 2 cents.

ilikemusic
06-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Please tell me there is youtube of this!

Please!

:lol:

BayernTFC
06-04-2009, 03:19 PM

John
I actually think that CBC offering TFC games live and on demand online is a great thing. I applaud CBC taking the approach that viewers should be given the choice as to how and when they watch broadcasts. It's good for those of us who watch television/events online and excellent for those that travel or live abroad. It doesn't hurt that this type of attitude from broadcasters might force cable companies to be more innovative and offer better options to Canadians.

mlsintoronto
06-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I know that there are a thousand issues being tossed about in the last several days. My purpose in coming on to create the thread that began this thread was only to clarify that we have not done anything to reduce player interaction with the supporters.

One of the benefits and drawbacks of me participating on discussions is that you get information unedited from the source. So you (too often!) get my ham-fisted explanations which are sometimes poorly executed. This is one case. So please let me be clear on CBC and Toronto FC. We are partners in the growth of Soccer in Canada and work together on most elements of the production.

In trying to illustrate that our players spend time acknowledging fans after the game, I inadvertently gave the impression that CBC was somehow influencing player /supporter interaction. In one of the recent games we had to struggle to get the interview in within the allotted broadcast time...and that is all.

So - I now owe an apology to you guys for misleading you. Though not my intent I can see how this misunderstanding could develop. Sorry.

And I owe an apology to John and our friends at CBC - they've done nothing but work their tails off to get the best possible production out to Canadian soccer fans. Sorry!

I'll lay low for a while. That would probably be best!

Waggy
06-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I know that there are a thousand issues being tossed about in the last several days. My purpose in coming on to create the thread that began this thread was only to clarify that we have not done anything to reduce player interaction with the supporters.

One of the benefits and drawbacks of me participating on discussions is that you get information unedited from the source. So you (too often!) get my ham-fisted explanations which are sometimes poorly executed. This is one case. So please let me be clear on CBC and Toronto FC. We are partners in the growth of Soccer in Canada and work together on most elements of the production.

In trying to illustrate that our players spend time acknowledging fans after the game, I inadvertently gave the impression that CBC was somehow influencing player /supporter interaction. In one of the recent games we had to struggle to get the interview in within the allotted broadcast time...and that is all.

So - I now owe an apology to you guys for misleading you. Though not my intent I can see how this misunderstanding could develop. Sorry.

And I owe an apology to John and our friends at CBC - they've done nothing but work their tails off to get the best possible production out to Canadian soccer fans. Sorry!

I'll lay low for a while. That would probably be best!

You're upset, just like the rest of us. Just your words carry a lot more weight than mine. No harm no foul (though easy for me to say). This is the problem with the whole instant news thing, and my problem with this thread in the first place. We should be asking for the entire stories, not jumping to conclusions and looking around for who to blame. That said, some of the critizism being levied is more than legitamite. If you are laying low, I hope you at least troll to see what people are saying. Just ignore the angry screaming/ranting. But there are some very good posts outlining some issues in very clear and consise ways. Don't toss all them out with the bathwater

Edit: And to the best of my knowledge, no youtube clip. The only evidence is the beer stain on my laptop from when I spat it out laughing haha.

johnmolinaro
06-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Paul,

I appreciate you taking the time to personally phone me this afternoon to apologize.

Hopefully, this lays this issue to rest.

John

billyfly
06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
You're upset, just like the rest of us. Just your words carry a lot more weight than mine. No harm no foul (though easy for me to say). This is the problem with the whole instant news thing, and my problem with this thread in the first place. We should be asking for the entire stories, not jumping to conclusions and looking around for who to blame. That said, some of the critizism being levied is more than legitamite. If you are laying low, I hope you at least troll to see what people are saying. Just ignore the angry screaming/ranting. But there are some very good posts outlining some issues in very clear and consise ways. Don't toss all them out with the bathwater

Edit: And to the best of my knowledge, no youtube clip. The only evidence is the beer stain on my laptop from when I spat it out laughing haha.

QTF!

TFC_Chris
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Paul,

I appreciate you taking the time to personally phone me this afternoon to apologize.

John

http://6.media.tumblr.com/RaAhBBk4Ti8va7lpfxtR753Po1_500.jpg

Hey fun boys, get a room!

Sorry. I couldn't resist. It is probably something personally and professionally significant and I just pissed all over it.

scut farkus
06-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Twittergate and now this! Hahahaha I love it!

DangerRed
06-04-2009, 04:34 PM
http://6.media.tumblr.com/RaAhBBk4Ti8va7lpfxtR753Po1_500.jpg

Hey fun boys, get a room!

Sorry. I couldn't resist. It is probably something personally and professionally significant and I just pissed all over it.

Now that was, and this is, one hilarious episode. Bwhahahahaha.

TFC07
06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
EDIT: Nevermind.

johnmolinaro
06-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, I did end up speaking to folks here in the TV dept, but you've already seen Paul's response so no real need for me to chime in.

I trust Paul's post brings closure on this issue for everyone.

John

TorontoMO
06-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Maybe the players don't want to do the salute. They certainly don't want to play hard for the fans....

CoachGT
06-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Maybe the players don't want to do the salute. They certainly don't want to play hard for the fans....

That's really not fair. The vast majority of players give 100% whenever they wear our colours - there are no Vince Carters here. Speak with a few of them (I've never encountered any resistance or hesitation from players that I've spoken to, whether in person, by phone or online, but that is for another reply) and you know that they have an appreciation for the fans and all want to play their butts off.

Execution of a game plan and strategy is another thing, and whether we have the right strategy (style of play) for this league is a completely different question.

But to a man, EVERY TORONTO PLAYER respects the fans.

FluSH
06-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Paul,

John

Wow,

Good to know that someone is getting an apology! However, I know that Paul only governs the side of business operations at TFC... and has absolutely zero influence and or say on what's beign sold on the pitch and how it's sold to the supporters and fans.

Pachuco
06-05-2009, 08:25 AM

That's really well said man.

C.Ronaldo
06-05-2009, 08:44 AM
We still deserve to know why the players have stopped saluting, and since Paul is their TFC link to us, we still deserve an answer.

I'd also like to still hear John's answer.
Was getting the interview in direct correlation to "all" the players not saluting us?

This is the problem with PR, over time they have spun so many stories, that we can no longer take what they come up with at face value

johnmolinaro
06-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I'd also like to still hear John's answer.
Was getting the interview in direct correlation to "all" the players not saluting us?

NO, it wasn't. We make a request for one or two players to do post-match interviews (like most sports broadcasts do), so that might prevent those one or two players from going over RIGHT AWAY while they do their quick hit with us (but not from joining the rest of the players when they're done).

BUT there is absolutely NO correlation with the interviews and ALL of the players not saluting. NONE. Case closed.

ecospice
06-05-2009, 09:23 AM
f off to cbc ,f off to paul, f off to MO, f off to those strikers who could'nt hit a side of a barn,,,i'm still pissed.
see you guys saturday,i'm not wearing any red this saturday and i will not spend a penny in bmo and i will park on the street, i rather get a parking ticket then give those fuckers my money.

I think pay parking goes to the City of Toronto...so does fees from a parking ticket...

ecospice
06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
NO, it wasn't. We make a request for one or two players to do post-match interviews (like most sports broadcasts do), so that might prevent those one or two players from going over RIGHT AWAY while they do their quick hit with us (but not from joining the rest of the players when they're done).

BUT there is absolutely NO correlation with the interviews and ALL of the players not saluting. NONE. Case closed.

Thanks for clearing that up John. How come Brenda doesn't do her interviews in front of the supporters section? It would look better on TV with fans in the background chanting, etc.

Cas87
06-05-2009, 10:08 AM
^^^^

That is a good point

boban
06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for clearing that up John. How come Brenda doesn't do her interviews in front of the supporters section? It would look better on TV with fans in the background chanting, etc.
Perhaps there is too much swearing?
:hide:

FluSH
06-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Personally I hate the camera... it becomes to much of a distraction for some and you always have one drunk guy that will try to sabotage the interview with a vulgar chant...

I think CBC needs to showcase more hot chicks at teh stadium in my opinion! :D

C.Ronaldo
06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Survey says.............good answer John

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-05-2009, 12:32 PM
They were pissed at themselves for drawing a game they should have won. That would be it.

K1nG
06-07-2009, 08:37 PM
So I've read this entire thread and I am a lottle confused, did the MLSE suit admit that he lied about his claims regarding the CBC? or did he just try to spin it like when his boss Richard Peddie tried spinning the fact that he refused to allow JFJ to dismantle and rebuild the Leafs which ultimately forced JFJ's hand in making bad trades and offering players high contracts with no trade clauses.

Beach_Red
06-07-2009, 09:45 PM
So I've read this entire thread and I am a lottle confused, did the MLSE suit admit that he lied about his claims regarding the CBC? or did he just try to spin it like when his boss Richard Peddie tried spinning the fact that he refused to allow JFJ to dismantle and rebuild the Leafs which ultimately forced JFJ's hand in making bad trades and offering players high contracts with no trade clauses.

This may be the first defense of JFJ I've ever seen. It's like those people who say if only Gord Stellick had been able to finish his plan.

Is it possible JFJ got taken by some slick agents and more skilled GMs?

TFC_Toon
06-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Is the following True:

"We have CBC angry with us because the players who are to be on the post game interview take too long because they are out there applauding you." -mlsintoronto

I just want to know if this is the reason why players don't even give us a nod at the games anymore, while visiting supporters in our house get saluted by their team...

Is this how you expect to win viewership? From us?

TFC supporters should always be acknowledged, wherever that may be, pretty simple, if not we have yet another issue.