PDA

View Full Version : Honest thoughts on Vitti and Barret

a_billi
06-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Barret is a hard worker for the first twenty minutes of the game and if things don't go his way he does jack shit. There were several times in the game he did not close down on players, run for passes which left Jimmy B to give him a earful. And he has the finishing instinct of a blind cow on redbull. Honestly he needs to go ASAP or be sent to the bench. People rag on Rickets but I thought we were much more efficient when he was on. He made the passes chase down players and made the defenders work hard. And had 2-3 okay crosses and a few horrible ones. But overall better than Barret.

Vitti in my opinion was excellent last night him and Dero were our best players going forward. When he is on the field he makes runs, makes excellent passes and creates havoc for the defenders which ussually make 2-3 surround him. For example he beat the two defenders and blasted the shot of the bar, first half made an excellent pass to dero which was going in until the defender got rid of it in the last second. Several passes to Barret on the wing that amounted to nothing. Second half he got two free kicks for us deep in the whitecraps zone which suprise suprise barret decides to header into the goalies hand instead of putting in the open net.
When Amado leaves then you will see Vitti in his true position. Right now he is not playing his natrual role. And for the love of all good in this world if we drop Barret and Armada leaves thats close 450,000 dollars we have to spend on a decent forward. And mo please please please please get a striker from Africa or South America. Anyways i felt like venting and this is all my opinion.

Fort York Redcoat
06-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Barretts insticts seem dyslexic. He'll rush a shot he can get control of but with a man on he takes that instant too long. Some of his passing was indeed errant.

Disagree on Vitti's midfield distribution last night. Great carrying the ball some nice shots but not enough.

trane
06-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Barret should be a winger, Vitti a attacking mid. Which I am OK with, but that still leaves us a striker short, as we have been from the fucking start.

TFC USA
06-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Neither should be on this team.

Stryker
06-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Barret should be a winger, Vitti a attacking mid. Which I am OK with, but that still leaves us a striker short, as we have been from the fucking start.
Wingers need to be able to provide good crosses.

billyfly
06-03-2009, 11:16 AM
We knew this about Barrett - Chicago told us so. Remember the Youtube clips they sent us???

Vitti - was a gamble and we hoped he would tear up the league based solely on his Argentine background not b/c of his body of work.

trane
06-03-2009, 11:17 AM

I think he can do that, or learn too. Go knows he likes to send the ball high.

romburgundy
06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Barret = our best winger= our worst striker
plane and simple

felipe
06-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Interesting...here's my take on things - and I think you'll notice how my footballing background shapes my ideas compared to others on this board who come from other football backgrounds - we value different things.

I think Barrett, Vitti, and Dichio are all valuable players - as secondary options. I think they are all very capable of 10-15 goals a year; if paired with a dynamic goalscorer to take the pressure off of them. None of them are strong enough to carry the load collectively or singularly. They all give us different looks and it would be hard for oppostion's to plan for us if any of them had a star striker to pair up with.

I love Dichio - he is easily our smartest player - but, he had a stinker last night; we're asking too much of him at his age. But DeRo plays best with a striker like Dichio; look at his partnership with Ching in Houston. We should be trying to get the best out of our best players - which almost necessitates playing Dichio - unless we get DeRo a younger big man - either of the whitecaps forwards would probably work great.

I love Barrett. He works his ass off and he's surprisingly quick first step. His control and composure could obviously be better, but he does so much work for the team in all facets of the game. Truthfully, I think he's wilting under the pressure of being ''the guy' depended on for goals. He's probably best suited as a sub to harry the shit out of tired defences.

I love Vitti. But he pisses me off constantly. Hes gifted with the ball, he makes good decisions - for the most part - and he works very hard when he has the ball or may get the ball. When he doesn't have the ball or the prospect of getting it - he's lazy. He 'mails in' challenges or waves his leg at the guy with the ball - he doesn't pick up his man off of the ball - he puts his defence under undue stress by not being a commited defender. I was always taught that your most skilled players have to be your hardest workers.

thats my take anyways. I was always saying give our strikers time - they'll figure it out. But, they've had the time, its time for me to join the chorus - Get us a DP striker!

Gazza_55
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Neither should be on this team.

+1

As well as Harmse, Ricketts and Smith but I digress.

TFC USA
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
"I love Barrett. He works his ass off and he's surprisingly quick first step. His control and composure could obviously be better, but he does so much work for the team in all facets of the game. Truthfully, I think he's wilting under the pressure of being ''the guy' depended on for goals. He's probably best suited as a sub to harry the shit out of tired defences."

HOW MANY GOALS DOES HE SCORE/PRODUCE?!!!!!!!

It annoys me when people say "he works well in all facets of the game" when the objective is to outscore the other team. He neither scores nor produces consistently.

BayernTFC
06-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Bingo! The operative word being good. We need natural wingers that can consistently supply balls into the middle. Part of TFC's problem is an attempt to make due with makeshift solutions. We have only produced a handful of decent crosses this year that I can recall. The most memorable ones being Sam Cronin's cross to Barrett for a goal against Columbus and Jim Brennan's cross in our first home game of the season against Seattle.

Darlofletch
06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Interesting...here's my take on things - and I think you'll notice how my footballing background shapes my ideas compared to others on this board who come from other football backgrounds - we value different things.

I think Barrett, Vitti, and Dichio are all valuable players - as secondary options. I think they are all very capable of 10-15 goals a year; if paired with a dynamic goalscorer to take the pressure off of them. None of them are strong enough to carry the load collectively or singularly. They all give us different looks and it would be hard for oppostion's to plan for us if any of them had a star striker to pair up with.

I love Dichio - he is easily our smartest player - but, he had a stinker last night; we're asking too much of him at his age. But DeRo plays best with a striker like Dichio; look at his partnership with Ching in Houston. We should be trying to get the best out of our best players - which almost necessitates playing Dichio - unless we get DeRo a younger big man - either of the whitecaps forwards would probably work great.

I love Barrett. He works his ass off and he's surprisingly quick first step. His control and composure could obviously be better, but he does so much work for the team in all facets of the game. Truthfully, I think he's wilting under the pressure of being ''the guy' depended on for goals. He's probably best suited as a sub to harry the shit out of tired defences.

I love Vitti. But he pisses me off constantly. Hes gifted with the ball, he makes good decisions - for the most part - and he works very hard when he has the ball or may get the ball. When he doesn't have the ball or the prospect of getting it - he's lazy. He 'mails in' challenges or waves his leg at the guy with the ball - he doesn't pick up his man off of the ball - he puts his defence under undue stress by not being a commited defender. I was always taught that your most skilled players have to be your hardest workers.

thats my take anyways. I was always saying give our strikers time - they'll figure it out. But, they've had the time, its time for me to join the chorus - Get us a DP striker!

I heartily endorse pretty much all of this. Since very early in the season I've been saying that Vitti and Dichio can both work well as the support striker, setting up the big goalscorer. I was hoping that Barrett might become that player, but I've now given up on that hope. So I'd put him at the same level, decent player, brings certain things to the team, would be ok with somebody else who can score goals consistently.

Unfortunately, 3 decent set up guys, and no natural goalscorer isn't going to work. DP please.