PDA

View Full Version : Urgently needed: Top-quality striker and centre-back

Cashcleaner
06-03-2009, 04:41 AM
I know that there are plenty of threads already going on with regards to last night's garbage defeat against Vancouver, but I think it's now become abundantly clear that the key elements we're currently missing from this roster are the same key elements supporters here and on the other forums have been clamouring for since before the beginning of the season.

We need a striker who can finish.

We need a centre-back who can intercept and stop opposing attacks in their tracks.

Until we get the quality players to fulfill these two roles, Toronto FC will remain a mediocre team in both MLS and the Voyageurs Cup competition. For months now, supporters have agreed almost to a man that we desperately need a proven finishing forward dedicated specifically for shooting on the attack and a stopper for the back line who can really get in and disrupt opposing forwards and clear the ball properly.

I am getting incredibly frustrated by the fact that we all seem to know exactly what the team needs in terms of missing pieces to the puzzle, yet there has been no indication on the club's behalf to address the problems we are facing.

And that just disappoints me to no end.

devioustrevor
06-03-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't think Serioux and Attakora played bad last night. On the first goal much of the blame belongs to Sutton as it's usually standard practice for keepers to put those balls over the crossbar and concede a corner. He played it cute and got punished (almost like he was wearing a CMNT kit instead of a TFC one). There were a few other times he got caught out of position (especially on a couple of crosses where he was planted on his line instead of being in position to challenge the cross). On the 2nd goal I also felt he was too deep into his goal and if he was further off the line he may have had the angle to do something with the goal.

I also felt we looked a lot more dangerous late in the game in the traditional 4-4-2 rather than the 4-3-3 we employed for much of the game.

I also didn't like what I seen from having both Robbo and Cronin on the field. They are both defense-minded midfielders and far too often they seem content to make the back-pass rather than try to make a play forward. We really missed Amado last night.

Kickit09
06-03-2009, 05:43 AM
um, we've needed a quality striker and centre-back for over 2 years now.

iansmcl
06-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Striker... yes. Hell yes, we need a striker. Everyone knows this and it was so apparent last night.

Now, I'm baffled as to why Harmse started over Velez on the back-line. Harmse is a nice sideshow to put on when we're winning or if someone is absolutely tanked.

But not at the start of the most important game in TFC's short history.

Fort York Redcoat
06-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Nana had his moments last night, good and bad but nothing that cost us. One for our future (and Canada!).

Nuvinho
06-03-2009, 07:28 AM
This is what I don't get.....Harmse at RB? If you want to keep Nana in the middle, why not use Velez at RB? Isn't he a natural RB? Why Harmse? Is it just because he is playing his old team? Because he scored on a perfect pass from DeRo in the 1st game.

Beach_Red
06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
I am getting incredibly frustrated by the fact that we all seem to know exactly what the team needs in terms of missing pieces to the puzzle, yet there has been no indication on the club's behalf to address the problems we are facing.

The thing that disappoints me the most is that this team has done a good job of drafting and acquiring players under the wonky MLS roster rules -- the only thing available that they haven't used is the DP rule. All that would take is money, which they have - we buy enough tickets and merchandise.

spark
06-03-2009, 07:31 AM

No way dude. We need a holding forward who creates chances. You know, Dichio-style. Who cares about scoring goals and winning games when you can look better! :rolleyes:

trane
06-03-2009, 08:24 AM
^ Wow, you realy are a genious when it comes to footy.

I do not know if you noticed but Dichio has scored plenty of goals AND created plenty of chances. The fact that the people around him can not finish is not his fault. Do we need to upgrade our strikes, no shit sherlock, the two issues are not mutualy exclusive.

flatpicker
06-03-2009, 08:31 AM
If MLSE gave a shit then they would spend a few extra bucks from their mountain of money and buy a quality striker.
I'll say it again... Rickie Lambert, or a similar type player.
No aging veterens, no supermodels...

canucker
06-03-2009, 08:33 AM
You know what, Dichio was garbage last night. His first touch on the ball 90% of the time was atrocious. And when he did control he just sent these idiotic back passes to no one. How about advancing the fucking ball!!!!! He made one good header to Cronin and that was it.

I agree we need a striker, but what burns me is that we shouldn't have to do that to beat a USL team. We should be beating them without our regulars in the lineup. We've been pretty decent this year in the MLS against better competition, so how is it that we've only managed to score 2 goals in 3 matches against inferior teams from the USL?

TFC Cityboy
06-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Nana and Ade were fine last night, but I likr the look of that big bastard Charles for Vancouver- he'd add some steel to the back line.

Beach_Red
06-03-2009, 09:02 AM
If MLSE gave a shit then they would spend a few extra bucks from their mountain of money and buy a quality striker.

Even an aging veteran would be fine, we only need him for one year - half a year now.

trane
06-03-2009, 09:03 AM
You know what, Dichio was garbage last night. His first touch on the ball 90% of the time was atrocious. And when he did control he just sent these idiotic back passes to no one. How about advancing the fucking ball!!!!! He made one good header to Cronin and that was it.

I agree we need a striker, but what burns me is that we shouldn't have to do that to beat a USL team. We should be beating them without our regulars in the lineup. We've been pretty decent this year in the MLS against better competition, so how is it that we've only managed to score 2 goals in 3 matches against inferior teams from the USL?

There are deep fundamental issue with the team. I was hoping Cummins would resolve them, and he has to an extent. But we are still simply not good enough. Forget MLS, wining in this league gives you a false sense, we are just not that good of a football team no matter what league.

trane
06-03-2009, 09:04 AM

I agree with that.

Ageroo
06-03-2009, 09:08 AM
GERBA.........get it done. Everyone seems to think that top quality strikers will not come to play in the MLS. I have seen him play and I tell you that both of those Barrett headers last night were goals with Gerba....He might not be what everyone wants in a high profile striker, but last night would have been a different story with him......

Tyler Durden
06-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Nana is not a starter, atleast not yet...who knows if he will be in our squad for future seasons...but right now he's not a starter...

Harmse has got to bb let go ASAP....Brennan just isnt good/solid enough to be one of our "top" players....Barrett lacks everything a striker needs such as TOUCH....

MO, Listen to your fans who watch every game and clue in that we are tryig to tell you something....get the f'n hint...WE NEED QUALITY

Redcoe15
06-03-2009, 09:52 AM
We definetly need a striker who can actually put the ball in the net. Barrett is not that guy. Like I've said before of him, he's all start and no finish.

spark
06-03-2009, 09:55 AM
^ Wow, you realy are a genious when it comes to footy.

I do not know if you noticed but Dichio has scored plenty of goals AND created plenty of chances. The fact that the people around him can not finish is not his fault. Do we need to upgrade our strikes, no shit sherlock, the two issues are not mutualy exclusive.

Listen man, didn't mean to poke obviously I wasn't down with the condescending posts from yesterday. I won't do it anymore b/c I think we are both looking for the same change - more goals and wins. If we get a Dichio style who does that, amazing, Barrett style amazing - after last night something needs to be done!

felipe
06-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree...I can't apologise for Barrett and Vitti anymore...we desperatley need a goalscorer - we could have easily won that game last night, if only someone could hit the net.

I was actually content with the performance up to the 60 minute mark (when I fell asleep) much much better passing than usual (except for Barrett - he had some howling giveaways). A lot better than the hoof and hope approach I've gotten used to seeing from TFC.

But they need to be far more decisive in the final third - it was like watching Arsenal trying to walk the ball into the net - except we couldn't even get into teh 18.

Daveisonfire
06-03-2009, 10:28 AM
A striker with an eye for goal and killer instincts.

If we do not get this then as they say...Mo must go

Beach_Red
06-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I was actually content with the performance up to the 60 minute mark (when I fell asleep) much much better passing than usual (except for Barrett - he had some howling giveaways). A lot better than the hoof and hope approach I've gotten used to seeing from TFC.

But because they were never a threat to score, Vancouver was able to press for the whole game. It was almost twenty minute before TFC was out of its own end.

It's embarrassing how opposition teams don't even worry about TFC scoring anymore.

jloome
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
We have no build up. We play absolutely directly because no one can hang onto the ball long enough for our team to advance as a unit.

Parkdale
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
hmmm....... craigslist?

Beach_Red
06-03-2009, 10:47 AM
We have no build up. We play absolutely directly because no one can hang onto the ball long enough for our team to advance as a unit.

How big a factor in the way teams play us, is the fact that we can't score?

Imagine coaching against this team.

TFCREDNWHITE
06-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I know that there are plenty of threads already going on with regards to last night's garbage defeat against Vancouver, but I think it's now become abundantly clear that the key elements we're currently missing from this roster are the same key elements supporters here and on the other forums have been clamouring for since before the beginning of the season.

We need a centre-back who can intercept and stop opposing attacks in their tracks.

Until we get the quality players to fulfill these two roles, Toronto FC will remain a mediocre team in both MLS and the Voyageurs Cup competition. For months now, supporters have agreed almost to a man that we desperately need a proven finishing forward dedicated specifically for shooting on the attack and a stopper for the back line who can really get in and disrupt opposing forwards and clear the ball properly.

PLUS 1!!!!!!!!!!

TFCREDNWHITE
06-03-2009, 10:50 AM

So true!! There was NO link between the back and the front, NONE!!

Roogsy
06-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Urgently needed: Heart.

trane
06-03-2009, 10:59 AM
jloome, agreed.

Roogsy, that is the thing. Barca is the most skilled offensive team on the planet, but at the end if they did not have the heart to continue fighting they could have given up against Chelsea. Heart is essential to built a champion.

jloome
06-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Urgently needed: Heart.

Oh yeah, and good football heads. Many of these guys just aren't consistent performers.

If I had to look at our lineup and knock out the players with insufficient heart or too much inconsistency, it would be goodbye to Barrett, Brennan, Harmse, Wynne (notwitshtanding his potential, he's a defensive nightmare sometimes), Ricketts, Smith.

DeRo is, frequently, trying too hard, which results in selfish play, like last night's debacle. Did he actually put more than one on net? (and even that was going wide, I think.)

Vitti needs to be a hole player or midfield general. His link up play, movement, technical ability are all huge. Apparently can't finish.

We need to stop pushing cronin wide. He's a setup man and a tackler, and very good at both. So let's leave him doing that, even if it means he has to platoon with Robbo.

Robbo's play has been shockingly inconsistent this year and he'd be in my punt 'em list, too, except for the paucity of good holders in this league. But if Seattle offered Alonso for him, I wouldn't say no.

We're a shocking team right now. We have some very good individual components, but that's kind of like having the best mag wheels on a car with no engine block.

elvis
06-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Figo?

I kid, I kid.

I need something to make me laugh on this day.

boban
06-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Striker... yes. Hell yes, we need a striker. Everyone knows this and it was so apparent last night.

Now, I'm baffled as to why Harmse started over Velez on the back-line. Harmse is a nice sideshow to put on when we're winning or if someone is absolutely tanked.

But not at the start of the most important game in TFC's short history.
And yet he banked in our first goal in this years competition.

felipe
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm sorry...I missed something...why reward Vitti's mediocre play with a more important role? Based on glimpses of talent? Vitti needs to work a lot harder before I'd put him anywhere near the midfield. His 'effort' deserves a place on the bench.

when he brings the effort...fine give him an increased role - his talent deserves it - but the effort needs to match his talent before I'd do anything that involves basing the team's play around him.

From what I've seen, he should be backing up Guevera; not leading the team.

But, yes, get us a striker. I'm happy enough with the D - its average enough for the MLS.

Cashcleaner
06-03-2009, 12:21 PM

That's pretty much the point this thread was going to eventually reach. We have the funding and resources to acquire the sort of player we are in need of. We know it. They know.

The only problem is...if we all know what's missing and have the means to address the issue at hand, where the fuck is our target man?!

trane
06-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm sorry...I missed something...why reward Vitti's mediocre play with a more important role? Based on glimpses of talent? Vitti needs to work a lot harder before I'd put him anywhere near the midfield. His 'effort' deserves a place on the bench.

when he brings the effort...fine give him an increased role - his talent deserves it - but the effort needs to match his talent before I'd do anything that involves basing the team's play around him.

From what I've seen, he should be backing up Guevera; not leading the team.

But, yes, get us a striker. I'm happy enough with the D - its average enough for the MLS.

Nobody is advocating he start ahead of Guevara, but he seems better suited for the mid, he should leanr the position, and perhaps fullfill his potential.

felipe
06-03-2009, 12:28 PM
They will never buy us a player...anyone good currently on a bosman?

ilikemusic
06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
These things were urgently needed two years ago so excuse me for not getting too worked up about this.

trane
06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Be patient it takes time, it is a new team........ I jest.

felipe
06-03-2009, 12:51 PM
You want us to retrain professionals to learn new positions? You gotta be kidding.

Next thing you know, we'll be taking the league hatchetman and trying to teach him to be a central defender or taking the right back and turning him into a forward...errr.....

spark
06-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Not sure if you are referring to last night's game specifically but Vitti consistently busts his ass back on D and wins balls back - that's IMO the one thing saving him from just getting the straight boot. His demeanor is definitely better than Barrett or even Guevara who when they lose a ball throw their arms up or stand with their hands on their hips or just plain sulk - not saying this is 100% of the time but seems to happen alot.

felipe
06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I duno, from what I see from Vitti is a lot of 'token effort'...I see it in my players from time to time and I try to eradicate it. Hell, I see it from my playing days when I did it. So I reconise it for what it is. He's better than that - he's being lazy.

and prior to my missed matches Barrett was working very hard getting back - but def not last night either. Maybe he's been slacking lately, I don't know.

But I did miss the last three matches...maybe Vitti has been tracking back and working hard - but not last night for sure.

trane
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
You want us to retrain professionals to learn new positions? You gotta be kidding.

Next thing you know, we'll be taking the league hatchetman and trying to teach him to be a central defender or taking the right back and turning him into a forward...errr.....

It is not unussual at all, teams recognize that a player has geat potential at a different position and they held him work into the role. Many DM turned into CM, Pirlo/Arteta, Barry was a CB before he became a CM. It happens all the time. If the pay off is worth it you do it. I have to admit that Right Back into a Forward seems to be a bit of strech. Harmse I never understood lets put the most faul prone player in the league in the position were conceding fauls will hurt you the most. Sure why not?

fetajr
06-03-2009, 02:02 PM
get a good manager and an even better coach. Possession creative attacking football is what we need!!!

Super
06-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Grass before DP striker. No self-respecting DP striker would want to come and play at BMO - not going to happen. Also, we're not New York. Toronto is not as big a draw as large American cities. However, money talks. Spend a bit more than the player is worth and we just might be able to convince a 3 million dollar man to come out on a 5 million dollar contract.

Who dares wins. People who wait lose.

giambac
06-03-2009, 02:58 PM

CMON man- were only in year 3 of MO's 10 year plan. You have to wait until 2017 before you can expect to get what you want. We have to give Mo a good 10 years before we can expect anything... Give him a break. we re expecting to much. Who are we to expect our MLS team to beat the USL sides from Montreal and Vancouver? who are we to expect to amke the palyoffs jsut becasue the expansion seattle team will make it in their first year.

Nuvinho
06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Did you hear...........a quality CB and striker are on the way.................oh wait!!!

That was 2007, 2008, and Feb2009.