PDA

View Full Version : Is Kevin Harmse...

poppamidnight
06-02-2009, 11:43 PM
a USL Caliber player???

Questions were posed as to why the guy is on an MLS roster ever since we've got him and nobody's ever come up with any logical reasoning as to why this guy gets the shot,

so i've always gone on the assumption that the majority here think he's not roster worthy...

...but always wondered... If he's not MLS caliber, then what is he?

Naturally I assumed maybe USL, but even today they put him to shame (check out replay of him on 2nd goal to get a chuckle),

So, I ask in all seriousness, What caliber player is he?
Could he make it in USL? or is he really a USL-2 quality player?

noochie
06-02-2009, 11:46 PM
He should be bagging groceries at Safeway

rocker
06-02-2009, 11:47 PM
he has no brain.. he's this dull log out there.

Chevy
06-02-2009, 11:48 PM
He should be bagging groceries at Safeway

He shouldn't be trusted with those 5 cent bags.

poppamidnight
06-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I didn't mean for this to be a bashing thread... I mean the guys horrible, but I mean cmon, we put up w/ Braz and Reda....

Is he on par with Braz and Reda?

Ratven
06-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Well, when you consider that our entire team is apparently not even USL quality, as they've shown now for two years...

boban
06-02-2009, 11:49 PM
a USL Caliber player???

Questions were posed as to why the guy is on an MLS roster ever since we've got him and nobody's ever come up with any logical reasoning as to why this guy gets the shot,

so i've always gone on the assumption that the majority here think he's not roster worthy...

...but always wondered... If he's not MLS caliber, then what is he?

Naturally I assumed maybe USL, but even today they put him to shame (check out replay of him on 2nd goal to get a chuckle),

So, I ask in all seriousness, What caliber player is he?
Could he make it in USL? or is he really a USL-2 quality player?
Well if he is USL calibre what does it make the rest of the roster?
He bagged our first Nutralite goal this year.
We had 87 minutes in that game to add to it and now it is costing us.
No need to single him out.

boban
06-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Well, when you consider that our entire team is apparently not even USL quality, as they've shown now for two years...
Here here.
Someone with a perspective of reality.

poppamidnight
06-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Well if he is USL calibre what does it make the rest of the roster?
He bagged our first Nutralite goal this year.
We had 87 minutes in that game to add to it and now it is costing us.
No need to single him out.

1 - check the replay of that goal, and you'll see there was no real skill involved in it..... /end conversation on that one

2 - Not trying to single him out/bash him... I was merely pointing out his skillset he's brought to the entirety of his time with us, and how lacking it is (what does he do exactly? Besides be a worrying-point). Is the Harmse skillset USL-worthy?

...or are there still holdouts who believe he's actually MLS-worthy that can explain what exactly he does/brings to the table... (please don't use the word "toughness", as any miserable old sod can walk around the pitch dolling out "hard tackles"

Esquire
06-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Here here.
Someone with a perspective of reality.

Exactly! Apparently, you need to be a USL team to win this tourney.

Kevvv
06-02-2009, 11:59 PM
We were beat by USL teams this year and last. So whether he's USL calibre would seem to be a moot point, no?

poppamidnight
06-03-2009, 12:00 AM
We were beat by USL teams this year and last. So whether he's USL calibre would seem to be a moot point, no?

Not looking at a team by team comparison,
rather the skillsets applied to the various leauges

Phil
06-03-2009, 12:11 AM
He did a great job in Charleston... wailt, nevermind.

EGP
06-03-2009, 12:17 AM
harmse is a good player. he is MLS caliber, and he does a lot for TFC. He is a Centre Mid and is constantly forced to play out of his position. how do you think Amado would do at CB? or jimmy as striker?? he does what the coaches tell him, and that's why he continues to make it on the pitch. when he came on for Robbo in the second half during the Houston game, he made an immediate positive impact. for whatever reason TFC fans love to bash him, but if you pick apart any other player, you can make them look just as bad.

EGP
06-03-2009, 12:19 AM
+ Harmse is the only player who has managed to score against Vancouver

Laurignano
06-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Harmse is not the only problem for today at all....we cannot blame one person when the majority of the squad was garbage.

poppamidnight
06-03-2009, 12:30 AM
harmse is a good player. he is MLS caliber, and he does a lot for TFC. He is a Centre Mid and is constantly forced to play out of his position. how do you think Amado would do at CB? or jimmy as striker?? he does what the coaches tell him, and that's why he continues to make it on the pitch. when he came on for Robbo in the second half during the Houston game, he made an immediate positive impact. for whatever reason TFC fans love to bash him, but if you pick apart any other player, you can make them look just as bad.

Yea but the problem is his skillset makes him a liability at each and every position he plays in... I mean we could settle for average in positions, but he's really sub-par in every spot.

"impact" in Houston .... Uhhh, if you mean he was able to waddle around in that heat without doing much of anything pushing the play forward to for our attackers, then sure, very "impactful"

Skillset... ability to do what a coach wants is not a skillset,

Any old fart from the stands could get in there and "hard tackle" guys.

If we were rating skills, it would have to look something like this:

1-on-1 defending: 3/10
"Hard-tackles" = 9/10
"legit-tackles" = 6/10
Passing = 4/10
Air = 6/10
Temper = 0.5/10
Speed = 6/10
Shot = 2/10
Ball Control = 6/10
communication with teammates = 4/10 (points position to backline, but never actually yells things out, and is often yelled at by Robbo or Brennan)
versatility = 9.5/10 in willingness, 4/10 on ACTUAL ability in those position
Energy = 4/10

boban
06-03-2009, 12:30 AM
1 - check the replay of that goal, and you'll see there was no real skill involved in it..... /end conversation on that one

2 - Not trying to single him out/bash him... I was merely pointing out his skillset he's brought to the entirety of his time with us, and how lacking it is (what does he do exactly? Besides be a worrying-point). Is the Harmse skillset USL-worthy?

...or are there still holdouts who believe he's actually MLS-worthy that can explain what exactly he does/brings to the table... (please don't use the word "toughness", as any miserable old sod can walk around the pitch dolling out "hard tackles"
I did look at his goal. He put his chance in. What do you want him to do?" Cartwheels?
Look at Barret who has easier sitters and can't score for shit.
No tell me who is USL.

boban
06-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Yea but the problem is his skillset makes him a liability at each and every position he plays in... I mean we could settle for average in positions, but he's really sub-par in every spot.

"impact" in Houston .... Uhhh, if you mean he was able to waddle around in that heat without doing much of anything pushing the play forward to for our attackers, then sure, very "impactful"

Skillset... ability to do what a coach wants is not a skillset,

Any old fart from the stands could get in there and "hard tackle" guys.

If we were rating skills, it would have to look something like this:

1-on-1 defending: 3/10
"Hard-tackles" = 9/10
"legit-tackles" = 6/10
Passing = 4/10
Air = 6/10
Temper = 0.5/10
Speed = 6/10
Shot = 2/10
Ball Control = 6/10
communication with teammates = 4/10 (points position to backline, but never actually yells things out, and is often yelled at by Robbo or Brennan)
versatility = 9.5/10 in willingness, 4/10 on ACTUAL ability in those position
Energy = 4/10
That's your ignorant assessment of him.
He brings a lot to the team. Plays many potions, and is a tough competitor being some of that.

ExiledRed
06-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Harmse actually played better than most of them today.

poppamidnight
06-03-2009, 12:36 AM
That's your ignorant assessment of him.
He brings a lot to the team. Plays many potions, and is a tough competitor being some of that.

Ignorant assessment of watching him these past 2 yrs?

I'm legitimately giving my assessment of Harmse SKILLSET after 27 games,

"plays many positions" and "tough" isn't exactly a breakdown of skillset ... Just seems like a 'vague copout' lacking any real justification as to why you would consider him MLS Caliber

EGP
06-03-2009, 12:37 AM
i agree with Boban. your assessment is very poor. further, giving him a 0.5 for temper is a bit ridiculous. the guy has fought off a bad rap he earned for some hot head moves seasons ago, and has had very harsh calls every since. rarely the cards he receives are valid. he stays more level headed than Danny D, Amado, Jimmy, Robbo and most other players who get unfairly ruled

boban
06-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Ignorant assessment of watching him these past 2 yrs?

I'm legitimately giving my assessment of Harmse SKILLSET after 27 games,

"plays many positions" and "tough" isn't exactly a breakdown of skillset ... Just seems like a 'vague copout' lacking any real justification as to why you would consider him MLS Caliber
At the end of the day you do realize you are talking about players (not just Harmse) who don't play in Europe .. you do realize that?
You take the good with the bad. And if he really he is that bad he wouldn't be in MLS (he played for various teams) nor he wouldn't get called up to the National team.

I just can't stand it when we shit on Canadians before anyone else.

poppamidnight
06-03-2009, 12:46 AM
At the end of the day you do realize you are talking about players (not just Harmse) who don't play in Europe .. you do realize that?
You take the good with the bad. And if he really he is that bad he wouldn't be in MLS (he played for various teams) nor he wouldn't get called up to the National team.

I just can't stand it when we shit on Canadians before anyone else.

So were you one of the ones up in arms when Marco Reda or Adam Braz got shit on before anyone else?

Just cuz their :canada: doesn't permit a blind faith in them.....
...that's downright silly.

If im given a choice between two strangers for help: a Canadian + a non-canadian,
Am I gunna blindly select a Canadian? or assess both, then make my decision on whose more suited to help me in that situation?

boban
06-03-2009, 01:13 AM
So were you one of the ones up in arms when Marco Reda or Adam Braz got shit on before anyone else?

Just cuz their :canada: doesn't permit a blind faith in them.....
...that's downright silly.

If im given a choice between two strangers for help: a Canadian + a non-canadian,
Am I gunna blindly select a Canadian? or assess both, then make my decision on whose more suited to help me in that situation?
Thanks for not reading.
Who said anything about blind faith?
Braz showed last year he isn't all that bad. Given a proper system he is effective. Which leads to TFC's real problem that season - coaching and management for developing a system for the talent they had.
Also, I am not saying these players don't need criticism - when they are due. They just are not at the front of the line.