PDA

View Full Version : Real Madrid site confirms Friendly with TFC

Eastend
06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
link:

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/en/1202773237171/noticia/Noticia/Confirmed_exhibition_matches.htm

Thanks Julien for the heads up!

The Kingpin
06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Real Madrid to visit Toronto and Washington DC during the preseason
Realmadrid.com

Real Madrid will visit Toronto FC on 7 August and DC United two days later as part of the team's preseason training.

Real Madrid's preseason is slowly taking shape as two more matches have been confirmed, both taking place in North America. The first is scheduled for 7 August against Toronto FC at BMO Field, followed by a visit to DC United and FedEx Field two days later.

The exhibition matches are a key part of Real Madrid's strategy to globalize its brand as the premier football club in the world and have been organized in cooperation with Multimedia Sports.

Paul? Care to confirm? Oh boy....

DOMIN8R
06-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Great. Now we can get on with the one that is to be included with the 2009 STH package.

The Kingpin
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Great. Now we can get on with the one that is to be included with the 2009 STH package.

Hope you're not holding your breath. Paul at al have other priorities... Great PR for TFC!! Start the celebrations - every 'Soccer' punter will be stoked. Now back to Toronto FC, the club you're supposed to worry about. :rolleyes:

This is a sad day for Toronto FC and it's hardened supporters.

Hooligan69
06-02-2009, 03:05 PM
FedEx Field is a silly name.

Eastend
06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I say give me a credit for my friendly ticket that goes towards this and forget the second friendly. We're in a race for a playoff spot....2nd friendly not required.

Miko
06-02-2009, 03:08 PM
If anything TFC should be pissed at Real Madrid for announcing today.

Voyageurs Cup is the big news for today, too bad the casual sports fan will hear about the friendly as opposed to the Vancouver game.

Hooligan69
06-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I won't be attending the Real Madrid friendly. I can't afford to chop off an arm and leg just for a ticket.

Eastend
06-02-2009, 03:09 PM

Voyageurs Cup is the big news for today, too bad the casual sports fan will hear about the friendly as opposed to the Vancouver game.

There's a game today?

I kid of course.

TFC RuKKuS RPB
06-02-2009, 03:10 PM

It's better than BMO Field. We play in a stadium and are sponsored by the Bank of Montreal. How sad is that???
On a side note, hopefully Real bring their top flight players and not their B or C squad. By then, Kaka could be on the team since AC Milan & Real Madrid agreed to terms on a transfer. Though it is not official yet.

Hooligan69
06-02-2009, 03:13 PM
It's better than BMO Field. We play in a stadium and are sponsored by the Bank of Montreal. How sad is that???

LOL This is true. :lol:

Pachuco
06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Bullshit!

greatwhitenorf
06-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Hey, Sparky. Them FedEx cheques don't bounce and that's what counts.

Hope this thread can avoid descending into the many very junior moments the previous RM-TFC thread plummeted to.

Yes. It's a mid-season friendly, a drawback in some eyes. But full of many, outweighing benefits for our club, its players and our city. And for us fans, too, who deserve it most of all.

Yes. It could be expensive to attend the first-ever visit to our fair land of the most fabled side in football history. But a lot less so that if you flew to Madrid and tried to get seats at the Bernabeu to watch them dismiss feeble rivals like Recreativo Huelva, Gijon, Betis Balompie, Isla Nublar, Vaya Con Carne or any of the many other often-overrated, lower-level Spanish sides that serve as cannon fodder over there.

Not in the budget? Just refrain from buying a few overpriced tall-boys at BMO this season and boom, done. You've got the ticket costs covered and sent a small-but-significant message to MLSE.

Mikey
06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Hey, Sparky. Them FedEx cheques don't bounce and that's what counts.

Hope this thread can avoid descending into the many very junior moments the previous RM-TFC thread plummeted to.

Yes. It's a mid-season friendly, a drawback in some eyes. But full of many, outweighing benefits for our club, it's players and our city. And for us fans, too, who deserve it most of all.

Yes. It could be expensive to attend the first-ever visit to our fair land of the most fabled side in football history. But a lot less so that if you flew to Madrid and tried to get seats at the Bernabeu to watch them dismiss feeble rivals like Recreativo Huelva, Gijon, Betis Balompe, Isla Nublar, Vaya Con Carne or any of the many other often-overrated, lower-level Spanish sides that serve as cannon fodder over there.

Not in the budget? Just refrain from buying a few overpriced tall-boys at BMO this season and boom, done. You've got the ticket costs covered and sent a small-but-significant message to MLSE.

Do you work for Maple Leaf Sports.....?

JonO
06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Do you work for Maple Leaf Sports.....?
Meh - I'm tired of these shots... Can't some people be excited about this game without them?

H Bomb
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM

well it's obvious that the casual fan is what they're most worried about so I'm sure they're happy :D;)

RedsYNWA
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm looking forward to this game, it's not everyday you get to see these players even if half of them don't show up.
If people are willing to fork out $ for Zidane and friends they will be here. I hope our young boys get a chance to play in this game as well. Can't wait

JonO
06-02-2009, 03:44 PM
well it's obvious that the casual fan is what they're most worried about so I'm sure they're happy :D;)
I doubt the casual fan is following Real Madrid announcements...

Roogsy
06-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Meh - I'm tired of these shots... Can't some people be excited about this game without them?

I agree. And I am one of the ones upset about this issues around this game. But there are people who are genuinely excited about Real Madrid coming to town and there does not need to be any underhanded jabs at their opinions or preferences.

Miko
06-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I doubt the casual fan is following Real Madrid announcements...

True enough, but there are enough media types on this story already that it'll break on regular newscasts today.

It'll be a case of "TFC to play Real Madrid at BMO in August! Oh yeah and Vancouver today"

Roogsy
06-02-2009, 03:47 PM
On a side note, hopefully Real bring their top flight players and not their B or C squad. By then, Kaka could be on the team since AC Milan & Real Madrid agreed to terms on a transfer. Though it is not official yet.

What's wrong with BMO sponsoring the stadium? There is no corporation in Canada that does more for soccer than BMO. They sponsor soccer on a national, club and amateur level. Without BMO, soccer in Canada would be even worse than it is...which is a scary thought.

Is it simply because of the "Montreal" in the name???

RedsYNWA
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
^^^ I agree Real Madrid is an afternoon of soccer without me cursing because the outcome does not matter....I liked the Villa friendly
The most important match in history is tonight and I will be on the edge of my seat knowing our first trophy is coming

JonO
06-02-2009, 03:50 PM
True enough, but there are enough media types on this story already that it'll break on regular newscasts today.

It'll be a case of "TFC to play Real Madrid at BMO in August! Oh yeah and Vancouver today"
When that happens - then I'll bitch about it ;) The game had pretty good coverage in the newspapers today. I don't think this will take any steam out of its sails....

ExiledRed
06-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Every year, Liverpool plays some oriental sides and other international clubs not on anybody's radar, in the preseason.

I can't remember the name of one of them from the last few years, and even if I did, I'd hardly go out and buy one of their shirts.

This so called exposure is all about Real Madrid's exposure, not Toronto's. It's about marketing Real Madrid to Toronto's newfound footy crowd. Nobody in Spain is going to start spending money on TFC because of this.

ensco
06-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Until we understand what MLSE are doing in total, it's very hard to evaluate this thing.

Face it, having TFC play RM and then Juve-River the next night, who amongst us, if we were in MLSE shoes, would decline.

Hitcho
06-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Every year, Liverpool plays some oriental sides and other international clubs not on anybody's radar, in the preseason.

I can't remember the name of one of them from the last few years, and even if I did, I'd hardly go out and buy one of their shirts.

This so called exposure is all about Real Madrid's exposure, not Toronto's. It's about marketing Real Madrid to Toronto's newfound footy crowd. Nobody in Spain is going to start spending money on TFC because of this.

That's true, but there's also a side element that people in and around TO who know enough about football to have heard of Real Madrid and be interested enough to come themselves or take their kids along who want to go will be at BMO Field to watch a TFC game, and the knock-on from that is an increased awareness of the club plus a spike in shirt sales to people who maybe havevn't been to a game before but can afford to just come along and pay RM pticket prices, so buy a shirt and a scarf as well, what the hell. That's the big cash in for MLSE. That and the fact the game will be televised in Canada and even more people will say "hey, Toronto has a team, and they're playing real madrid, we should get tickets for a game one day / buy a shirt for the kids / etc". It's all increased exposure, and a lot of it benefits MLSE. Madrid, of course, will sell shirts and get their own benefit from being on tour in the US and Canada, but even that helps MLS and therefore MLSE indirectly through increased exposure to the league, better players coming here, ticket prices going up as a result.

For the record, I think RM coming here is awesome, but it does seem to have been done at a cost to the team and its fans that makes you question whether it's worth it. MLSE gets more money from TFC revenue, so potentially more money to spend on stadium expansion, grass pitch, training facility, DP wages, etc (cue people bitching that they will just keep that money, but there you go) and increased exposure which together can only be god for the club, but on the other hand TFC has to play another pointless match in the middle fo the season and the fans get given a friendly side in their SSH package which is made to look like a piece of shit compared to the glory of madrid, making them bitter and wondering they get the shaft. it's a fine balance, but in this case the way everything has had to be leaked to the rpess etc has painted it in the wrong light. handled differently, this could have had a very different hue about it. I know Paul et al will have had their hands tied on this stuff so that's not a condemnation, just an observation.

Nuvinho
06-02-2009, 05:32 PM
What I may do, is sell my overpriced friendly included in my STH package for face value on the ticket, then take that money, and take out a loan to buy Real Madrid tickets.

ensco
06-02-2009, 05:34 PM

As you well know but didn't say, the promotional effect is the extra bit. The main driver is money - the Liverpools and RMs auction these pre-season barnstorming appearances off to the highest bidder. They make millions out of these games.

It's why I don't expect Beckham to come back. He's worth a lot of money to Milan in terms of August appearance fees.

GIZ GUNNER KR
06-02-2009, 07:49 PM
so what game is the mystery ticket for in the season tickets if its not for real madrid?

Chevy
06-02-2009, 07:51 PM
^^ Toronto Blizzard Alumni.