PDA

View Full Version : TV RATINGS: Houston vs Toronto...

Carts
06-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Yikes... :(

Please Note - all times Eastern Time Zone...

2030-2230 SportsNet Ontario Region = 13,000
2030-2230 SportsNet Pacific Region = 3,000
--------------------------------------------
Total Audience Sportsnet = 16,000

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Of Note:

2000-2300 CBC Stanley Cup Final G1 = 1,726,000
2030-2310 TSN NBA Cleveland/Orlando = 152,000
1300-1600 SportsNet National MLB Toronto/Boston = 319,000

= = = = = = = = = = = =

The TFC ratings have a very large range in age - which makes it tough for advertisers to market (aka spend money) agressively... And in the end, thats what keeps things on the air...

In the Ontario region, 5,000 of the 13,000 were in the PRIME 18-34 range (almost 40% of the audience) which is good... However 4,000 (30% of the audience) was in the 55-plus age range, which advertisers due not target as aggressively at all...

That has the audience basically spread out over the entire age ranges - do you buy advertising for Coors Light or Scotch? Hyundai Tiburon or Cadillac? Etc etc etc...

In the Pacific region, the 18-34 range didn't register a raiting (under 1000), with 2/3rds of the audience registering 25-55+...

Please note, when a number is small (and 16,000 total is small) its tough to get a good read on demographics... I'll look next week at the CBC number...

Facing the Stanley Cup Final made it unlikely TFC, or any other sports on TV would get a good number that night...

Carts...

FluSH
06-01-2009, 01:25 PM
...and we don't need exposure...

Ladies Love Julius James
06-01-2009, 01:25 PM
16k WOW. I'm sure Vision tv averages more than that at 3am.

Brooker
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
thank GOD only 16,000 people saw that game.

if anybody lasted the whole 90 minutes of this game, you deserve a medal.

i've never seen toronto play such piss poor, amateur soccer.

"look honey, they're letting the mongoloids have a turn"

Eastend
06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for these updates Carts. Very interesting indeed.....how do numbers get measured when one is switching back and forth between TFC and the hockey game?

....not that I know anyone who would do that...but just curious..... ;)

flatpicker
06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
hopefully we will have better ratings tomorrow on Sportsnet since the hockey should be over at that time.

TFC better play entertaining footie though!

Marc"2L"
06-01-2009, 01:39 PM
It's a little difficult. How do you tell your friends to watch TFC after a game like Houston?

My friends care enough about the team to come, not sit through that. Truth be told neither did I. I was at home, by the second half I was on my laptop. Game in the background.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
06-01-2009, 01:49 PM
How many tuned out by the first half to watch hockey ;)

Azerban
06-01-2009, 01:50 PM

p. much this

Pachuco
06-01-2009, 02:02 PM
How many tuned out by the first half to watch hockey ;)

I'll admit, by the second goal I turned it to hockey and recorded the remainder of the TFC game. Once the hockey game ended I went back and put myself thorugh the mysery of watching the rest of the TFC game.

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
...and we don't need exposure...

Hahahaha...bitch. :dita:

Eastend
06-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Does recording the game on PVR get counted in these numbers?

elvis
06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I turned it off when I discovered it wasn't in HD and had the radio on.

pubboy
06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
i recorded it on DVR, and made it to the third goal...fast forwarded through the rest :(

Bobo
06-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Good thing the SC finals and big NBA game were on at the same time. I wanted to make the switch at HT...

Dbl_D
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
i recorded it on DVR, and made it to the third goal...fast forwarded through the rest :(

hahah... I went out to start a steak on the bbq (0-0)... came back in 3-0... grab'd remote to dvr and stop the recording... ;)

sad two minutes glad I missed them...

TFC07
06-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I am not going to lie, I was watching Magic-Cavs game instead of TFC game.

BTW, TFC games shouldn't be playing at 8pm (Prime time) on weekends.

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Not much choice considering Houston is in another time zone. Had they played earlier, it would have been even hotter for the players!

Super
06-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Meh. I watched the game at El Rojo's place with 8 other guys. We count as one TV, though.

menefreghista
06-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Every other MLS team plays their Saturday games at night. TFC seems to be the exception.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the 8pm start for the June 13th match. I bet the ratings will be higher for that game with no NHL in the way.

mr k
06-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Carts, what was the Score's rating for Canada/Wales rugby from 7-9? - maybe more closer competition for that night that had Stanley Cup final.

Mojo
06-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Impossible to get any more than that with the timeslot they had.

Stanley Cup finals? NBA semi finals? 16k is pretty good for that competition.

TFCRegina
06-01-2009, 04:42 PM

if anybody lasted the whole 90 minutes of this game, you deserve a medal.

i've never seen toronto play such piss poor, amateur soccer.

"look honey, they're letting the mongoloids have a turn"

I did, and I'm not surprised the numbers are low, primarily because there was hockey on and everybody in our bar was watching it except for the three TFC fans...

Carts
06-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Carts, what was the Score's rating for Canada/Wales rugby from 7-9? - maybe more closer competition for that night that had Stanley Cup final.

For some annoying reason I can't open the document from home - but I'll post that number tomorrow from the office...

I didn't know that was on the score - or I would have posted it with the other sports...

Tomorrow morning I'll have it posted...

Carts...

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Every other MLS team plays their Saturday games at night. TFC seems to be the exception.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the 8pm start for the June 13th match. I bet the ratings will be higher for that game with no NHL in the way.

TFC can get the crowds on a afternoon the other teams struggle with the time slot..it would have been better 7:30 though..another game i have to leave early..damn

Norn_Irn_Toffee
06-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Wasn't too pretty watching in Houston, however I did find a fellow supporter (Frank the GO train driver), we ended up having a great time despite the performance, and sang as much as 2 people could! the Houston supporters were great and enjoyed a few beers with them after game - http://www.dynamoplanet.com/profiles/blogs/houston-dynamo-topple-tfc-30

SoccMan
06-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I find it incredible that a team like TFC who averages close to 20,000 a game gets a tv rating less then what they average at the stadium for a game that was on tv throughout most of Canada. I guess a large majority of people who go to BMO are only there for the experience and are not true supporters, because when the game is on tv a good chunk of people that go to BMO don't watch TFC on tv, I don't know this tv rating number is very strange.

Blizzard
06-01-2009, 09:52 PM
This is Canada. Saturday night is hockey night and when the Stanley Cup finals are being played, everybody else might just as well take the night off.

I'm just pointing out the truth.

B

Shep
06-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I watched the match, start to finish. We all did in the pub. If we played everyday I might have tuned out, but I crave TFC and even though we had a nasty run I wasn't going to turn away because of it.

But then, I have no interest in hockey so I had nothing else to watch.

dupont
06-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I find it incredible that a team like TFC who averages close to 20,000 a game gets a tv rating less then what they average at the stadium for a game that was on tv throughout most of Canada. I guess a large majority of people who go to BMO are only there for the experience and are not true supporters, because when the game is on tv a good chunk of people that go to BMO don't watch TFC on tv, I don't know this tv rating number is very strange.

Don't forget that TV ratings are from a random polling of a few thousand people... I think it's very hard to get a real reading for things that are more niche. What I'm saying is since Canada has over 30 million people and they only ask a few thousand people what they watched, you can probably guess how accurate tv ratings are.
It is probably pretty accurate for massive shows like Hockey Night in Canada or American Idol but for smaller shows like this game they could easily be off by quite a bit. What is statistical noise for a hockey game coule actually double the reported number of a soccer game.

eustacchio
06-01-2009, 10:38 PM

I know a lot of people that do that unfortunately. They'll watch it if it's on, but they won't go out of their way especially on a Saturday night.

s2cazz
06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I watched the match, start to finish. We all did in the pub. If we played everyday I might have tuned out, but I crave TFC and even though we had a nasty run I wasn't going to turn away because of it.

But then, I have no interest in hockey so I had nothing else to watch.
Pretty much my sentiments exactly... came home late from work... just in time to see the 3 goals but I still watched the full match... my poor wife had to endure my yelling at the TV!

Carts
06-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Here's the rugby number...

Pretty good number...

1900-2100 The Score: Rugby Canada/Wales 47,000

Carts...

janerabbit0.99
06-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I dont know why people seemed so displeased that not enough people watch the games on tv. This isnt good soccer by any means and it's so easy for people to watch for 30 seconds then crack jokes at the on field product. Average fans who watch the major tournaments on tv just laugh at TFC on tv....going to the game is a whole different ballgame

TorCanSoc
06-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Wait until the Leafs go deep into the playoffs. TFC will be less than a blip on the sports radar in T.O. I'm not pissing on the team. I've been a STH from day 1. If we've been unhappy with coverage/exposure, wait til the leafs go the distance, and TFC play on the same night. Of course this is more fairy tale than possibility.

Carts
06-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Wait until the Leafs go deep into the playoffs. TFC will be less than a blip on the sports radar in T.O. I'm not pissing on the team. I've been a STH from day 1. If we've been unhappy with coverage/exposure, wait til the leafs go the distance, and TFC play on the same night. Of course this is more fairy tale than possibility.

Lucky for us, that will NEVER happen...!!! :D

Carts...

kitchener-TFC
06-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Soccer on Sportsnet just isn't as good as CBC, IMO.

rocker
06-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Soccer on Sportsnet just isn't as good as CBC, IMO.

it's the curse of Gerry Dobson!!!

man, some of the worst TFC performances have been shown on Sportsnet.