PDA

View Full Version : If they are not going to play Dichio more often-

trane
06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
then we need to get a striker that plays in his style/role sooner rather then later.

Arnie Knows
06-01-2009, 09:50 AM
They would love to play Danny , but he just can't do it ..
physically

he would have been in if he could have ..
He set up all the goals last time

werewolf
06-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Andrea Lombardo.

Chevy
06-01-2009, 09:52 AM
It's a long season - the team has to use some common sense when looking at his minutes.

Smart move starting him on the bench (and then keeping him there) for the Houston game. The hot weather + giving up three 1st half goals.

trane
06-01-2009, 09:52 AM
^ That is not funny. Did Andrea even set up any goals while he played here?

The point that I am making is that we look better with him playing, if they cannot play him more often, we should get another striker with similar attributes so that we can look better on a more consistent basis.

flatpicker
06-01-2009, 09:55 AM
... or a striker that knows how to net goals and isn't a year away from retirement!

We have a decent midfield that can get the ball to strikers.
We just need a striker that knows how to launch the ball on net.
I would love for them to pick someone up like Rickie Lambert.
He has some serious firepower in his feet.
27 years old.
Tied for scoring lead in League One this year.
Looking for a new club to play for.

zHYL2Ao2LzY

trane
06-01-2009, 10:02 AM
^ A good way to go, but it is unlikely that he would come here, he can get DP money in Europe, and there is no way that we pay DP money for a League One player. It is not that I would not do it, but I think that managment would only pay DP money for an "attaction".

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Especially considering this may be DD's last season. What are we going to do next year? I certainly hope we don't regress.

Kevvv
06-01-2009, 10:06 AM
You're right trane, it's a different team with DD in. But I'm guessing he was rested simply because of Vancouver on Tuesday, that CC made up his mind that beating Vanc is more important than a single league game against a team from the West.

If we were playing a team in our division, or in a less tropical climate, or hadn't conceded 3 goals in the time it takes to have a whizz, maybe DD would have at least come off the bench.

flatpicker
06-01-2009, 10:09 AM
^ A good way to go, but it is unlikely that he would come here, he can get DP money in Europe, and there is no way that we pay DP money for a League One player. It is not that I would not do it, but I think that managment would only pay DP money for an "attaction".

and that's the crap part about the "DP" concept.

If a team has money to spend, they should put it towards players who will add to the quality of the team before anything else.
Getting a player simply because of popularity is silly and it is a short term fix.

I think a winning team would put people in seats just as easily as a star player running on his last legs.

Yes, Lambert would require DP money, but not crazy money.
I think he is making £200,000 a year right now.
And the rumoured transfer fee would be a around £750,000.

Those are all doable numbers by MLSE standards and would greatly increase the firepower of TFC.

TorontoBlades
06-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Bring back Casey

menefreghista
06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
^ That is not funny. Did Andrea even set up any goals while he played here?

I believe only one, the Edu goal in our first ever victory.

trane
06-01-2009, 10:24 AM

If a team has money to spend, they should put it towards players who will add to the quality of the team before anything else.
Getting a player simply because of popularity is silly and it is a short term fix.

I think a winning team would put people in seats just as easily as a star player running on his last legs.

Those are all doable numbers by MLSE standards and would greatly increase the firepower of TFC.

I agree with you on all counts. I would do it. I just do not think that MLSE would I think that they would look for immediate marketing bang from the DO spot. But I share you opinion that a winning team will get you a great deal of marketing potential.

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I believe only one, the Edu goal in our first ever victory.

I remember that goal. It was a good example of what Andrea could do and sadly did little of afterwards.

I always felt bad about how things resulted for Andrea. His soccer background should have resulted in a more productive career.

spark
06-01-2009, 10:38 AM
then we need to get a striker that plays in his style/role sooner rather then later.

Why? If Chad Barrett could finish would you still be asking this? We need to get a striker who can put the ball in the net consistently.

flatpicker
06-01-2009, 10:48 AM
^ hence my Lambert post... I think he's an ideal candidate.

Nuvinho
06-01-2009, 11:10 AM
O'brien White!!

trane
06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Why? If Chad Barrett could finish would you still be asking this? We need to get a striker who can put the ball in the net consistently.

But he is not, nor is he doing any of the other things that Danny helps with, like create chances, hold up the ball, distributed, ect. ect. ect. at least not as the up front striker. He is doing fine on the wing.

If you do not see that we are a better team in so many ways when Danny plays, then you will have a different opinion.

spark
06-01-2009, 11:31 AM
But he is not, nor is he doing any of the other things that Danny helps with, like create chances, hold up the ball, distributed, ect. ect. ect. at least not as the up front striker. He is doing fine on the wing.

If you do not see that we are a better team in so many ways when Danny plays, then you will have a different opinion.

He didn't start against KC in the season opener and we looked pretty damn good. Sometimes Danny plays and we look good, sometimes he plays and we look horrible - Just as many times he doesn't play and we look great, sometimes we suck. I don't think Danny, or his style, is any indication of what this team is missing.

Barrett's "mould" is nothing like Dichio, but if he could finish you wouldn't be asking this. So I would argue, we don't need another Dichio - we would do fine with a guy like Barrett who can put the ball in the net.

trane
06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
^ We won, but we did not look good in KC. We were not particullarly well organized, we looked downright confused at times, and we did not defend well.

Again if you cannot see that we look better when Danny plays, then I do not want to explain it you. I am getting tiered of arguing with people whoes entire understading about football is completley opposed to mine. I argue with people whith whome I many not share an opinion, but we have to at least speak the same language, we clearly do not. But I will tell you this, check out the numbers with and without Danny, they tell a very different story then you do.

spark
06-01-2009, 12:36 PM
^ We won, but we did not look good in KC. We were not particullarly well organized, we looked downright confused at times, and we did not defend well.

Right, and that's because Danny wasn't on the pitch.

Not sure how my opinion of what kind of striker we need necessarily means I have a completely different understanding of football than you (should I assume you understand football, but I do not?).

I'm sorry man, our problem for 2+ seasons hasn't been creating chances or holding the ball, it's been finishing. That's great that we play better with a guy like Dichio but we're still going to have Barrett missing the net at the end of the day.

trane
06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
^ Again, if you think holding the ball, and creating chances, is not conected with finishing, and that Danny is not our best finisher at striker, or that finishing has been our only problem. Then yes, your understanding of football is very different then mine. I do not care to convince you one way or another.

Marc"2L"
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I really hope OBW-an can become a big time goal scorer.

On that note, how do we feel about calling Mr. White OBW-an?

jloome
06-01-2009, 11:46 PM

Those are all doable numbers by MLSE standar

ds and would greatly increase the firepower of TFC.

Wonderful idea. Wonderful, totally insane idea. No way ON EARTH you get Ricky Lambert for $1.5 million. No way. No way, ever ever ever. Try $5-6 million and you MIGHT be in the ballpark (unless he's in his last year, in which case an English club might get him for less. but not us.)

And that's before you even get to the issue of getting a striker, in his prime, on the back of two great seasons in a row, to come to MLS

flatpicker
06-02-2009, 12:20 AM
^ I'm just quoting numbers that I have been seeing from other sources.

His yearly salary was taken from Wiki,
and the transfer fee is a rumoured number from some "news" sources in the UK

Yes, he is at the peek of his career, but we are talking about a League One player.
If he were picked up by a Prem team he probably wouldn't be in the starting 11.
He could hold his own in the Championship.
But he would be a star in MLS.

If we had a owners that were really motivated to have a winning club in Toronto, then I think they would fork over the extra cash to land a guy like him.
But, we have MLSE running things, so yes, it's a long shot at best...
even though the $5-6 million you suggested wouldn't be difficult for them to spend.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-02-2009, 12:38 AM
I agree that we need either a younger, ideally faster, version of Dichio or someone with a history of scoring goals which is why I scratch my head ever time a see Vitti play. I'm pulling for the guy and I like his hustle, but he’s just miles away from what TFC needs in a forward right now.

TFC_Junky
06-02-2009, 07:16 AM
I agree with Trane's original post, we need to find a dopleganger of dichio as a replacement. Someone who can be a target guy and be able to hold the ball. I love Dichio and really wish he had a few more years in the tank but I'd be happy to find another big replacement for him.

trane
06-02-2009, 09:59 AM
I agree that we need either a younger, ideally faster, version of Dichio or someone with a history of scoring goals which is why I scratch my head ever time a see Vitti play. I'm pulling for the guy and I like his hustle, but he’s just miles away from what TFC needs in a forward right now.

A younger faster version of Dichio would score goals in this league for a long time. Dichio's strike rate is great, the problem he has never played enough games for us.