PDA

View Full Version : Boycott? (open mind plz)

Bobo
05-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Was going to wait until things were made official but since last night's game put everyone in a pissy mood, might as well give it a go now.

ML$E must know by now that the majority of supporters (not STHs) don't want friendlies midseason as it can cause more problems than its worth (will grass for a day cause problems too?). Word is now that they will test their waters with this extra friendly to see how much more they can juice out of loyal fans. Sorry ML$E, but before you have mlsintoronto tell us that extra friendlies are for us, know that not all of us will buy it, but thanks for first refusal on our tickets, I’m sure that wasn’t a business only decision. I doubt they care the slightest about pissing people off in moving the Shite Bulls match. This is no more than a way of disrespectfully sucking more money out of the club's fans, fans that have been there since day one. Can we expect any less? I guess we are partly to blame for expecting to watch a higher class team without having to fork over further to our beloved owners. How naive we were to think ML$E actually gives a shit about us. It wouldn’t surprise me if way back in season one at the Benfica game there were dudes in suits thinking, “Hmmmmm what if…….……$$$$$$”

What I suggest is that the supporter groups refrain from buying tickets but still head down to the stadium anyway. We still show our support for our club but not for MLSE, which is all it should be about. Either way the stadium is going to sell out so its not like the club is going to be losing money. But the atmosphere wouldn’t be there (except from what's heard of us outside the grounds) which might hopefully send a message. Or we can continue to talk shit about “stupid” Leafs fans and be the same sort of sucker. Of course, if you're a Real Madrid fan, its understandable that you would want to attend this game but otherwise I don’t see reason enough to pay more than you already do. Like I said, casuals could and would take your seats, but its not about empty seats. Speaking honestly, and not disrespecting the casuals who have spent a hell of a lot of money on TFC as well, what is TFC without its supporters? Something like what was witnessed at the U-20 world cup? Or maybe a Columbus or Kansas City? Probably another Blizzard. Giving our owners a taste would hardly be a bad thing.

Am I way off with this idea? In reading the forums I know that people are as upset as I am. I spoke to a couple guys personally already who have said they would be all for this, which is why I’m throwing this out to the masses. I’m not at all expecting any supporter group to take an official stance on it as understandably they want to keep their relationship with the club, but a large group of guys partaking in this I think would be very powerful. Ultras in Europe often have their clubs at their feet, why can’t we at least express dissatisfaction?

AL-MO
05-31-2009, 10:51 AM
If this was going to be considered, the RPB would discuss this in their member's section not in the TFC public forum. Just an FYI.

H Bomb
05-31-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm not going to be purchasing my tickets for this game. But I like the idea of heading down to the stadium with the SG's, we should have a party! A love for TFC party, in the parking lot. I cant imagine a consensus within this group, but if there is one I'd be up for it. Sounds like NEE are doing it, so they have my kudos in this matter

Bobo
05-31-2009, 10:54 AM
If this was going to be considered, the RPB would discuss this in their member's section not in the TFC public forum. Just an FYI.

Well since I haven't made arrangements for my RPB payment yet, I really didn't have that option. I'm throwing an idea out to the RPB as I will to U-Sector and NEE, doesn't matter to me where its discussed, as long as its an option.

Stryker
05-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Oh Christ not this shit again. Go watch Raptors games with that bandwagon ultras group.

TFC Cityboy
05-31-2009, 11:20 AM
Why don't we wait for the actual details before jumping to (albeit likely) conclusions...

Bobo
05-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Oh Christ not this shit again. Go watch Raptors games with that bandwagon ultras group.

Well then perhaps I need you Stryker to explain to me what a real supporter and real supporter group is because clearly you think I'm off here.

greatwhitenorf
05-31-2009, 11:28 AM
This reminds me of the squawking about high gas prices and let's boycott buying gasoline until prices get reasonable.

All you get to do in that case is watch the rest of the world cruise past you.

Same thing applies here.

It's a matter of choice, innit? Don't want to spend on higher ticket prices to watch the world's most fabled side play in Toronto? Then don't.

If you do, then enjoy the game.

Either way, every single ticket for this match will be snapped up in a New York nanosecond. And I bet our players will love playing this game and will benefit from preparing for it, both mentally and physically. It will put our team under one of the biggest spotlights any team could receive and why not? We've earned some global kudos with our great support of this team.

This is one of the ways good teams move up to higher levels. And bring their fans with them. If you choose not to join us, toodle-oo, Magoo. We'll just cruise on by.

TFC 420
05-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Why is this thread still open?

K1nG
05-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Bobo, I think you have an amazing idea. I for one would be more than willing to party outside of the grounds. Perhaps help organize a banner to explain our motives.

Stryker, who are you refering to with that bandwagon ultras group? U Sec, NEE ? Would you say that to any of their faces?

Eastend
05-31-2009, 11:34 AM
I'd be interested in knowing how the players really feel about mid season friendlies.

....And I do get that it's Europes off season so no need to mention that...just straight up, do you want to play a friendly in the middle of your season? Yes or no?

H Bomb
05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
^^ If I was a player I'd be really happy, getting paid to play against Real Madrid sounds great. If that was our deal I'd be in.

K1nG
05-31-2009, 11:41 AM
the players with their mind right will prioritize their current season over playing a once great clubs B team.

college st
05-31-2009, 11:44 AM
A PROTEST at the actUal game would be legendary....block off the gates and yelll THIS OUR HOUSE...GET THE FUCK OUTT!!!!!!!!!!
imagine if we could drive every1 nuts around the stadium....mlse will take notice!!
PROTEST!!!

Marc"2L"
05-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Psh, you're all acting like this friendly will be meaningless.

Don't you know we can win the Carlsburg cup?

AL-MO
05-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Why is this thread still open?

I am not a mod in this section :p

AL-MO
05-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Well since I haven't made arrangements for my RPB payment yet, I really didn't have that option. I'm throwing an idea out to the RPB as I will to U-Sector and NEE, doesn't matter to me where its discussed, as long as its an option.

Your throwing the idea out to a group of mostly non-members, and not the 'RPB'. That is my point. You can discuss this all you want (personally I am with you - not going to the game myself) but in the end, this thread doesn't reflect RPB at all. It may be hosted on our board, but a decision of 'boycotting' a game will be decided by our members.

And no decision or discussion has taken place yet.

TFC 420
05-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Your throwing the idea out to a group of mostly non-members, and not the 'RPB'. That is my point. You can discuss this all you want (personally I am with you - not going to the game myself) but in the end, this thread doesn't reflect RPB at all. It may be hosted on our board, but a decision of 'boycotting' a game will be decided by our members.

Well said

Bobo
05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
A PROTEST at the actUal game would be legendary....block off the gates and yelll THIS OUR HOUSE...GET THE FUCK OUTT!!!!!!!!!!
imagine if we could drive every1 nuts around the stadium....mlse will take notice!!
PROTEST!!!

I think that's a bit more than I'm going for here LOL. A large group of guys simply partying outside the grounds I think would do the job. If its a better atmosphere than in the stands, then people will take notice.

Stryker
05-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Bobo, I think you have an amazing idea. I for one would be more than willing to party outside of the grounds. Perhaps help organize a banner to explain our motives.

Stryker, who are you refering to with that bandwagon ultras group? U Sec, NEE ? Would you say that to any of their faces?

I'm not going to mention them by name as I don't want my opinions to create a situation for the RPB but if you've been around the team from the start you'd know w ho I was alluding to.
Would I say it to thier faces? Abso-fucking-loutely. All twelve of them.

Bobo
05-31-2009, 11:56 AM

Fair enough but is it so bad for the RPB to draw on the opinions of non members? Last time I checked I wasn't a member so what was I supposed to do, PM my post to someone who may or may not even share the idea?

Shep
05-31-2009, 12:03 PM
I can understand how STH's are upset about the friendly not being part of their package but I respectfully disagree with the rest.

I'm not taking this move as anything but MLSE bringing in two friendly matches. And of course it's mid-season as we are on a different schedule than Europe, any clubs coming over would not do so in the middle of their seasons...and as much as it sucks, many of those clubs are worth more than TFC and it's their schedule that dictates.

Why would I boycott this? Not to start an argument, but I just don't see the incentive in not going to the match. Sure it sucks it's mid-season, also sucks that it will cost more $, but oh well.. as a non-STH I pay out the ass already for matches. It's up to each person what it's worth.

I'm partially inclined to agree that the friendlies are for the fans. The cost of bringing over RM or anything close would be huge I'd think. Of course they want to profit from it - they run a business not a non-profit organization.

I'm just not seeing what kind of alternative you are asking for.

You don't want the friendlies? Or you just don't want them during our season? Or you want them for free (STH's should get them I agree, and that's a bone of contention, but otherwise...)?

It could have been planned better, but I'd rather go enjoy the match then start hating the organization and getting my drawers all bunched up over it. Life is too short. Football is for enjoyment...

edit: Of course this is my opinion alone, not reflective of any decision the RPB comes to as a group.

TorCanSoc
05-31-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm a STH (as most of us are). Nothings confirmed of course, but when it does, it will be good for the club. Give your heads a shake, its Real phkn Madrid!! International recognition. Do you want to be the supporters that don't support their club on something that, yes is a friendly, but has a lot of international exposure. Of course we could go on about ML$E trying to gouge the soccer community. Be glad they make money folks. If they were losing money, we would not have the resources to even attempt to get big name teams. Having said that, I'm not sure how much of Madrid coming would be MLS and how much of it is MLSE.

A meaningless game is this one http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090218&content_id=218381&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280 This, again, is Real Madrid folks.

boban
05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
ML$E must know by now that the majority of supporters (not STHs) don't want friendlies midseason as it can cause more problems than its worth (will grass for a day cause problems too?).
Aren't you jumping the gun with that statement?
I know a lot of supporters that are happy with friendlies.

boban
05-31-2009, 12:19 PM
I can understand how STH's are upset about the friendly not being part of their package but I respectfully disagree with the rest.

I'm not taking this move as anything but MLSE bringing in two friendly matches. And of course it's mid-season as we are on a different schedule than Europe, any clubs coming over would not do so in the middle of their seasons...and as much as it sucks, many of those clubs are worth more than TFC and it's their schedule that dictates.

Why would I boycott this? Not to start an argument, but I just don't see the incentive in not going to the match. Sure it sucks it's mid-season, also sucks that it will cost more $, but oh well.. as a non-STH I pay out the ass already for matches. It's up to each person what it's worth.

I'm partially inclined to agree that the friendlies are for the fans. The cost of bringing over RM or anything close would be huge I'd think. Of course they want to profit from it - they run a business not a non-profit organization.

I'm just not seeing what kind of alternative you are asking for.

You don't want the friendlies? Or you just don't want them during our season? Or you want them for free (STH's should get them I agree, and that's a bone of contention, but otherwise...)?

It could have been planned better, but I'd rather go enjoy the match then start hating the organization and getting my drawers all bunched up over it. Life is too short. Football is for enjoyment...
Here here. Well said.

:thumbsup:

Shep
05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm a STH (as most of us are). Nothings confirmed of course, but when it does, it will be good for the club. Give your heads a shake, its Real phkn Madrid!! International recognition. Do you want to be the supporters that don't support their club on something that, yes is a friendly, but has a lot of international exposure. Of course we could go on about ML$E trying to gouge the soccer community. Be glad they make money folks. If they were losing money, we would not have the resources to even attempt to get big name teams. Having said that, I'm not sure how much of Madrid coming would be MLS and how much of it is MLSE.

A meaningless game is this one http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090218&content_id=218381&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280 This, again, is Real Madrid folks.

Funny thing is, as a non-STH I'll probably have a 2% chance of scoring a ticket for the RM, but I still appreciate the work MLSE is doing to secure it. And somewhat for the reason you stated.. I want MLSE to make HUGE$$$ from TFC so they realize where their attention should be focused! GRASS, DP, MORE SEATS, ROOF, GUINNESS IN CANS, etc :D

I don't want them mugging us of course, but giving us good reason to shell out is decent. Like RM. And I'll confess I buy as much gear and little things as I can when it comes to the club because I want to invest in it's future. I may be deluding myself, but it feels good to give to the club, like it somehow might contribute to our success.

Mikey
05-31-2009, 12:28 PM
To be honest I think I've reached the point if not giving a shit for it anymore. It's been three years already of terrible quality play and no drive other than how far can MLSE drive their fingers into your wallets.

Fuck 'em all.

koryo
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Posted this in another thread:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13862&page=14

Long story short: it's a personal choice innit?

Pookie
05-31-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure why I'd boycott the match. To protest the high ticket prices?

To fly my son and I to Spain to see them live would cost me a hell of a lot more than the most expensive seat in the house.

... or so I hope ;)

H Bomb
05-31-2009, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing an RPB vote on the issue. Not on attending the game of course, that is an individuals own choice 100% of the time, but whether or not we use the groups signs/banners in the stadium. I know it's redundant to just say that so I'll start a poll thread...probably not til tomorrow as sunday afternoon wont have much traffic. Id be interested to see where thoughts are on the subject.

RedRum
05-31-2009, 12:47 PM

I'm not going to mention them by name as I don't want my opinions to create a situation for the RPB but if you've been around the team from the start you'd know w ho I was alluding to.

No one is going to confuse your own opinion for RPB'S.

If you are going to make statements like that at least have the decency to clarify your remarks. Who are you calling out?

CretanBull
05-31-2009, 12:48 PM
It would be the least effective and most widely ignored boycott in history. Our tickets would be sold in a heart-beat, and the game will still sell out.

I've been more pissed off then most by the way this whole situation has been handled, but at the end of the day I'm a TFC supporter and I'm going to be there to support my team and our epic win against the European giants...now, if we could only beat Houston.

Walnut
05-31-2009, 12:51 PM
After watching the bloodbath @ Houston last night -- I would think that the last thing TFC should be thinking of is playing any matches of no consequence, as they will be an unessercary mis-season distraction away from what must be our focus; Winning matches of consequence.

Bobo
05-31-2009, 12:58 PM
It would be the least effective and most widely ignored boycott in history. Our tickets would be sold in a heart-beat, and the game will still sell out.

I've been more pissed off then most by the way this whole situation has been handled, but at the end of the day I'm a TFC supporter and I'm going to be there to support my team and our epic win against the European giants...now, if we could only beat Houston.

You're missing the point here. Its not about costing ML$E money. I said more than once in my first post that tickets will be sold either way. Its about showing that the supporters aren't happy with the way things are being handled and a quiet game would show that.

And at the end of the day Leafs fans are Leafs fans, and that's what ML$E continue to bank on. If you're pissed off then do something about it. Everyone seems to forget a crucial part of being "Ultras" which is why as good as our SGs are by MLS standards, they fall way short of Europe.

Anyway I've said my piece, let the powers that be decide on what, if anything, is to be done.

Shep
05-31-2009, 01:02 PM
To be honest I think I've reached the point if not giving a shit for it anymore. It's been three years already of terrible quality play and no drive other than how far can MLSE drive their fingers into your wallets.

Fuck 'em all.

It's getting better.

It can be some good football, and it's nice to finally have that.

Last night was rough, but we've got a big match on Tuesday to look forward to, a win means so much, and it's a good chance for the squad to pull their socks up.

Have faith! :scarf:

Black Jack
05-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Was going to wait until things were made official but since last night's game put everyone in a pissy mood, might as well give it a go now.

ML$E must know by now that the majority of supporters (not STHs) don't want friendlies midseason as it can cause more problems than its worth (will grass for a day cause problems too?). Word is now that they will test their waters with this extra friendly to see how much more they can juice out of loyal fans. Sorry ML$E, but before you have mlsintoronto tell us that extra friendlies are for us, know that not all of us will buy it, but thanks for first refusal on our tickets, I’m sure that wasn’t a business only decision. I doubt they care the slightest about pissing people off in moving the Shite Bulls match. This is no more than a way of disrespectfully sucking more money out of the club's fans, fans that have been there since day one. Can we expect any less? I guess we are partly to blame for expecting to watch a higher class team without having to fork over further to our beloved owners. How naive we were to think ML$E actually gives a shit about us. It wouldn’t surprise me if way back in season one at the Benfica game there were dudes in suits thinking, “Hmmmmm what if…….……$$$$$$”

What I suggest is that the supporter groups refrain from buying tickets but still head down to the stadium anyway. We still show our support for our club but not for MLSE, which is all it should be about. Either way the stadium is going to sell out so its not like the club is going to be losing money. But the atmosphere wouldn’t be there (except from what's heard of us outside the grounds) which might hopefully send a message. Or we can continue to talk shit about “stupid” Leafs fans and be the same sort of sucker. Of course, if you're a Real Madrid fan, its understandable that you would want to attend this game but otherwise I don’t see reason enough to pay more than you already do. Like I said, casuals could and would take your seats, but its not about empty seats. Speaking honestly, and not disrespecting the casuals who have spent a hell of a lot of money on TFC as well, what is TFC without its supporters? Something like what was witnessed at the U-20 world cup? Or maybe a Columbus or Kansas City? Probably another Blizzard. Giving our owners a taste would hardly be a bad thing.

Am I way off with this idea? In reading the forums I know that people are as upset as I am. I spoke to a couple guys personally already who have said they would be all for this, which is why I’m throwing this out to the masses. I’m not at all expecting any supporter group to take an official stance on it as understandably they want to keep their relationship with the club, but a large group of guys partaking in this I think would be very powerful. Ultras in Europe often have their clubs at their feet, why can’t we at least express dissatisfaction?
I think some message really needs to be sent to MLSE! As STH's in season one, we promised two friendlies and we only received one! Apparently there is a one million dollar appearance fee for Real Madrid. MLSE will make this at the concessions! MLSE did not expect this annoucement to come out before they had annouced the friendly they wanted to offer up. It was the creative digging of a sports writer that forced the annoucement. Too bad! We need to send a message to these money grabbing people at MLSE. There has been two generations of kids in the GTA that have never seen a Leaf game because of the cost! Although that may be a blessing in disguise for any up and coming young player!

Black Jack

BRed
05-31-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm going to the game, purchasing two beers, a TFC scarf and a Real Madrid shirt or special event shirt which ever that is available. Then I will probably get hungry and purchase a gyro and ice tea. Also when parking the car I will purchase space for two cars and park my car in a "I own these" fashion with the wheels turned to the side. All in all it should be a fantastic afternoon!

rocker
05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
i'm gonna boycott the 50/50 draw cuz i never win!

AL-MO
05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Fair enough but is it so bad for the RPB to draw on the opinions of non members? Last time I checked I wasn't a member so what was I supposed to do, PM my post to someone who may or may not even share the idea?

Nothing wrong with it. I just wanted to be clear that a RPB decision to boycott won't happen in the TFC forum.

And if you ever have suggestions or anything else feel free to PM Jack or one of the other mods on here.

But carry on with your discussion...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Im sure alot of us are pissed also that the MADRID game will not be included as the friendly...then MLSE saying they will add other GAME instead to keep us happy!

want to make a statement..wait unitl they announce the other friendly that they will include as a part of our Season SEATS.. EVERYBODY SHOW UP TO THE GAME!!!...and once the games starts....everyone leave the stadium and stand and chant outside gate 3! THE SITE OF EVRYONE LEAVING THE STANDS JUST AFTER KICKOFF WOULD SEND A CLEAR MESSAGE!

torontocelt
05-31-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm going to the game, purchasing two beers, a TFC scarf and a Real Madrid shirt or special event shirt which ever that is available. Then I will probably get hungry and purchase a gyro and ice tea. Also when parking the car I will purchase space for two cars and park my car in a "I own these" fashion with the wheels turned to the side. All in all it should be a fantastic afternoon!

Ha, ha! You would think the announcement of this friendly was the end of the world, some people just need something to complain about it seems? I wouldn't even attempt to reason with some of these people, there nose has been bent out of shape and that is that. Like you I will be doing everything in my power to attend the game and I for one will be able to leave the stadium knowing that I have seen world class players and one of the worlds biggest clubs. If it goes ahead then It is going to be a great day and something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Shep
05-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Im sure alot of us are pissed also that the MADRID game will not be included as the friendly...then MLSE saying they will add other GAME instead to keep us happy!

want to make a statement..wait unitl they announce the other friendly that they will include as a part of our Season SEATS.. EVERYBODY SHOW UP TO THE GAME!!!...and once the games starts....everyone leave the stadium and stand and chant outside gate 3! THE SITE OF EVRYONE LEAVING THE STANDS JUST AFTER KICKOFF WOULD SEND A CLEAR MESSAGE!

Yeah, maybe they should have picked a shite team for the match, then they could have included it with your package and not incurred any losses.

But you want to go the the match that's included, which will probably still be a decent team, and stand outside.

Can I have your seats? I promise to scrunch down so they look empty.

/sarcasm off

What I'm saying, again, is that this is a huge deal for them to accomplish, and I doubt they would even come close to recouping if they kept it with your package. YES IT SUCKS. But you are still getting a friendly included right? So you aren't losing there, you just want into the premier match instead. Understandable. If I was a STH I'd want in as well. You will probably at least get first shot at the tickets and I won't see them at all, but again I'm okay with that.

Because in the bigger picture, it's something special that RM will be playing @ BMO, and I'm not even a RM fan.

We still get all our matches, we still get an extra friendly. The people who have the right to be well pissed are those that booked vacation time/having people come down and so on. For eveyone else, the loss here isn't a big deal. Sell your ticket for the 13th, or go to the match, and just try to be happy we are getting and extra game this year, and one with an amazing group of players.

.....we've still even to see anything official anyway. Until then it's all speculation.

Cambridge_Red
05-31-2009, 07:19 PM

If that is directed at NEE I suggest: you come say what you have say, you know where to find us.

prizby
05-31-2009, 07:23 PM
you want, as supporters, to protest a game

then you go to the game, and you don't make a peep throughout the game

you dry the atmosphere, MLSE sees a problem (i would hope)

Cambridge_Red
05-31-2009, 07:29 PM
EDIT!

Just noticed Location:Edmonton

You live in Edmonton and you're calling out a Toronto supporters group??? right....

Anyways if you have issues with us bring them to us don't be calling out others on a board that will protect you.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-31-2009, 07:45 PM
as a STH im all for the friendlies, and it does not matter when they are played...we already play "FRIENDLIES" with Vancouver and Montreal so why not bring in real clubs to play against..cause watching Montreal and vancouver are just a waste of money
and time and effort getting to the games..now Real Madrid would be worth it

PRB
05-31-2009, 08:41 PM
The thing people might forget is the international exposure Toronto would get because that game would be on TV in Madrid. No harm in publicity at all. The experience for the TFC players wouldn't hurt either.

KrazyKanadian
06-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Against Modern Friendlie$

T-Bird
06-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Why does this only have to be open to members? Shouldn't eveyone have the opportunity to participate?

Anyways, good idea! I know I was super pissed when they changed the schedule for this game and I have to miss the NY game because of it. I won't be attending...but will also most likely skip the protest too. Good luck though!

TorontoBlades
06-01-2009, 09:25 AM
#1 If it was included in the price we would get pachuca again and no one would even want to go
#2 I've seen how your boycotts work...the all-star game boycott had much more love than this and it ended up as three dudes in the south stands wearing black t-shirts

...who gets to see a side like real madrid play for free on a redesigned surface - it defies anything resembling logic

Jack
06-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Important stuff here.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13956

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Against Modern Friendlie$

If only we had a dalorion big enough for all of us...

I'd like to stress at this time that it's a question of expectation.

If TFC never promised friendlies included then you all could make the decision to see this ol' team or that one. There would be so many pages of discussion missing from the board but I think it's worth it.

I'd gladly participate and vote with my feet but like many I planned something on a non-TFC weekend and don't rate ANY mid-season friendly. When my foreign team comes I'll voice my displeasure, albeit a bit softer, but still refrain from going.

KrazyKanadian
06-01-2009, 01:31 PM
I'd rather TFC promise us no friendlies and schedule no friendlies. Mid-season exhibition games do nothing but garner appearance fees for whatever International club comes to town, and do nothing to help TFC win the MLS Cup. Isn't that why the team is here?

Rudi
06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
As STH's in season one, we promised two friendlies and we only received one!
Aston Villa and Benfica.

If people are going to get indignant, they should at least be armed with actual fact.

Rudi
06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Anyways if you have issues with us bring them to us don't be calling out others on a board that will protect you.
Relax, he wasn't talking about NEE (or U-Sector, for that matter).

werewolf
06-01-2009, 01:51 PM
As STH's in season one, we promised two friendlies and we only received one!
Black Jack

It was actually more then that. Up to 5. Thats why Aston Villa and Benfica required two friendly vouchers.

LP The RPB
06-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Relax, he wasn't talking about NEE (or U-Sector, for that matter).How he could have possibly got that confused is beyond me.....It seems like some members of other groups are now just looking to have a physical confrontation to satisfy there inferiority complex.......Take that bullshit elsewhere.

TFC Tifoso
06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
How he could have possibly got that confused is beyond me.....It seems like some members of other groups are now just looking to have a physical confrontation to satisfy there inferiority complex.......Take that bullshit elsewhere.

epic face-palm..........what inferiority complex exactly?

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Ok guys, back on topic.

giambac
06-01-2009, 02:16 PM
This reminds me of the squawking about high gas prices and let's boycott buying gasoline until prices get reasonable.

Same thing applies here.

It's a matter of choice, innit? Don't want to spend on higher ticket prices to watch the world's most fabled side play in Toronto? Then don't.

Either way, every single ticket for this match will be snapped up in a New York nanosecond. And I bet our players will love playing this game and will benefit from preparing for it, both mentally and physically. It will put our team under one of the biggest spotlights any team could receive and why not? We've earned some global kudos with our great support of this team.

This is one of the ways good teams move up to higher levels. And bring their fans with them. If you choose not to join us, toodle-oo, Magoo. We'll just cruise on by.

I agree with your position.

No one is holding a gun to our heads forcing us to buy tickets. If you don't care for the match or don't want to spend the huge bucks for it then don't.

I'm a season ticket holder and have been since day one. I realize that this is a business and nothing surprises me. Real Madrid is a top notch teamwhich will cost big $ to bring over. MLSE will ry and recoup their costs and make a profit. For our international season ticket match we will get a lesser team taht I won't give a shits ass for . who will it be a Scootish or emglish side which we've seen more than enough of....

Anyways, I will not buytickets for this match beacuse I realize it is an exhibition, both sides won't use their starters, and it will be over priced.
Taht is my decison.

I think you and MLSE are in for a Very BIG shock if you think this match will be sold out. I asked 10 of my buddies who also have Season tickets and we are made up of Italians, Brazilians, Canadians, English and even 2 Spaniards and 2 Paortuguese. NOT ONE SAID THEY WILL BUY Tickets if they are priced over $100.

Kevvv
06-01-2009, 02:28 PM
And for clarity, your usual tickets are around $65 or so, depending on the game?

Considering how many came out to see Benfica (and how many sang their national anthem) I would be surprised if it doesn't sell out. Hell, some people will even pay to Zidane play the U of T reserves, so...

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I am sure it will sell out. I would be shocked if it didn't. From an immediate business point of view...this is a smart move. I think it would be silly to think otherwise.

The problem with the team (and the way MLSE thinks) is that it's always the "immediate" business interests that win out.

Hence why the Leafs suck. It's these sort of decisions, without caring for the longer-term outlook, that winds up hurting the team in the long term. Not every business venture that brings in money right away is best for the team.

prizby
06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I'd rather TFC promise us no friendlies and schedule no friendlies. Mid-season exhibition games do nothing but garner appearance fees for whatever International club comes to town, and do nothing to help TFC win the MLS Cup. Isn't that why the team is here?

if i remember correctly, it was ppl in the past complaining that there was lack of quality of teams in the friendlies

funny how ppl now have a change of heart

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 02:41 PM
if i remember correctly, it was ppl in the past complaining that there was lack of quality of teams in the friendlies

funny how ppl now have a change of heart

There will always be two camps on every issue Prizby. So unless it's the same people complaining about the quality of the opposition and then complaining about the Real Madrid game...this point sort of loses it's potency.

Yes, TFC is damned if they damned if they don't. Hence what they need to do is manage the issues more carefully so neither camp gets riled up excessively. At the end of the day, we're all customers. But they did not manage this issue effectively.

prizby
06-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Roogsy, how many times can you say you get to watch Klaas Jan Huntelaar or Sniejer, Robben, Ramos, CASILLES play in Toronto

what about the players, ask them if they would like to risk injury in order to play against a team like Real Madrid

Pookie
06-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I still can't figure out what people are complaining about. Is it:

a) the cost of the tickets (that haven't been announced yet)?
b) the fact that the game isn't a freebie?
c) that they even play "friendlies" at all during the season?

Ironic that quite a few people went to see the MLS All Stars take on West Ham last year with the only major fuss being a protest about the Argos.

To me, if you are a fan of football and want to see top quality players/systems without the thousands of dollars it would cost for a trip to Europe, this is the only chance you are going to get.

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Roogsy, how many times can you say you get to watch Klaas Jan Huntelaar or Sniejer, Robben, Ramos, CASILLES play in Toronto

what about the players, ask them if they would like to risk injury in order to play against a team like Real Madrid

Fine.

Make that the friendly in my STH and TFC won't hear a peep from me. And I will be there with a sewn version of a half TFC, half Barça jersey!

Done.

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Ironic that quite a few people went to see the MLS All Stars take on West Ham last year with the only major fuss being a protest about the Argos.

What's ironic about it? It's completely different. No fixture was moved for it. TFC players got a break (except for Jimmy B). It was internationally televised. And ticket prices were included in our ST package!

Pookie
06-01-2009, 03:12 PM
What's ironic about it? It's completely different. No fixture was moved for it. TFC players got a break (except for Jimmy B). It was internationally televised. And ticket prices were included in our ST package!

If people are upset at the idea of "meaningless" games in the middle of a season, support for the MLS All Star game would make that position ironic.

I can understand the frustration with cost but since the cost is not yet known, that's a hard one to debate.

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
If people are upset at the idea of "meaningless" games in the middle of a season, support for the MLS All Star game would make that position ironic.

Again...only if that meaningless game was played by TFC, which the All Star Game was not. And it wouldn't be ironic. It would be contradictory or dare I say, hypocritical. However, since the underlying argument is that we don't want our players risking their health in meaningless games, and our players were not involved in the game save for Jimmy B, the contradiction does not apply.

AL-MO
06-01-2009, 03:16 PM
My issue is more with the changing the date of the DeadBulls game and moving it to a busy period. This is adult rec league stuff (I speak from experience). No Professional League with respect for itself would do this. And of course this is all for a cash grab game in August.

I know I am going to have to pay to see Real Madrid, just the reality of the situation. Will I pay? That is a decision that I will make on my own. (Chances are I'll just let FluSH take'em)

This is my post from another thread. I have stated my feelings on this game and will not speak any further on this issue.

Don Julio
06-01-2009, 03:18 PM
And ticket prices were included in our ST package!

No they weren't.

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 03:20 PM
No they weren't.

Sort of. We got to buy them at the same time we bought the rest of our package. In my opinion, it was all one purchase.

Pookie
06-01-2009, 03:26 PM
My issue is more with the changing the date of the DeadBulls game and moving it to a busy period. This is adult rec league stuff (I speak from experience). No Professional League with respect for itself would do this. And of course this is all for a cash grab game in August.

So, the busy period you refer to had the original schedule as follows:

June 2nd - Vancouver
June 6 - LA
June 17 - Montreal
June 24 - NY
June 27 - Real Salt Lake

Originally, this busy period called for 11 days off between matches (June 6 through 17th). Further, with a win in Vancouver tomorrow you could have seen the regulars rested for 18 days between MLS Games (June 6 through 24).

Now, we have a game on the 13th and hopefully a meaningless game on the 17th. That leaves 11 days off between MLS Matches (June 13 and 24) .

That doesn't sound too busy to me.

TorontoBlades
06-01-2009, 03:37 PM
people just want free shit

just because you bought a season ticket, doesn't mean you get to go to everything TFC related for the rest of your life

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-01-2009, 03:45 PM
people just want free shit

just because you bought a season ticket, doesn't mean you get to go to everything TFC related for the rest of your life

exactly..i look forward to Real Madrid as it might be the only chance to ever see them here in TO:scarf: the free friendly we do get is a bonus if it happens... how i would like to see the 2010 season tickets handled:

15 home MLS games
1 int friendly game
1 concacaf cl game
1 1st rd MLS playoff game ( refundable in we dont qualify)

sell seperate
2 Canadian championship matches
1 int friendly

AL-MO
06-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Pookie, I was actually using this on the basis for that comment:

05/30 - Saturdayat Houston Dynamo8:30 p.m. http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/x.gif http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/tickets_pack.gif (http://houston.mlsnet.com/t200/tickets/) RSN-0/P, DK, Match Center
06/02 - Tuesday @ Vancouver Whitecaps % 10:30 p.m. RSN
06/06 - SaturdayLos Angeles Galaxy4:00 p.m. http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/x.gif http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/tickets_pack.gif (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/) CBC (3:30 pm), DK, Match Center
06/13 - SaturdayNew York Red Bulls8:00 p.m. http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/x.gif http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/tickets_pack.gif (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/) RSN, DK, Match Center
06/18 - Thursday @ Montreal Impact % 8:00 p.m. RSN

That is 5 games in under 3 weeks.

I'd probably have no issue if they didn't MOVE a regular season game. Very amateur, IMO.

Rudi
06-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I am sure it will sell out. I would be shocked if it didn't. From an immediate business point of view...this is a smart move. I think it would be silly to think otherwise.

The problem with the team (and the way MLSE thinks) is that it's always the "immediate" business interests that win out.

Hence why the Leafs suck. It's these sort of decisions, without caring for the longer-term outlook, that winds up hurting the team in the long term. Not every business venture that brings in money right away is best for the team.
The Leafs suck because everyone on the MLSE board thinks they are the greatest hockey mind never to have been discovered.

As owners, MLSE has done no worse than any 'good' ownership groups in the NHL. They even outspent most in the pre-cap era (and ride pretty close to the cap now, although Burke is offloading like crazy).

Their problem on the hockey side has always been meddling board members picking weak yes men to run the team. "Always" is not even accurate, as Pat Quinn did a decent job during his tenure at the helm not that long ago, but even he was undercut by a board that wanted a yes man at the top of the hockey operation.

By no means did MLSE's "greed" factor into the Leafs' relative lack of success* since MLSE took over. They've been no greedier or cheaper than any other ownership in the NHL.

* because it IS all relative. Only one team can win the Stanley Cup per year.

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I'd probably have no issue if they didn't MOVE a regular season game. Very amateur, IMO.

Seriously, it boggles my mind how people don't see this as amateur.

torontocelt
06-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Fine.

Make that the friendly in my STH and TFC won't hear a peep from me. And I will be there with a sewn version of a half TFC, half Barça jersey!

Done.

So Roogsy are you saying that your displeasure is it all down to having to pay for the match then? This kind of takes away from the concerns you expressed about the schedule, the potential for injuries etc. To be honest I think that for the majority of season ticket holders on these boards this is the main issue, it is at the end of the day all about cash. The season ticket holders have supposidly been screwed by the FO for what is pretty much the first time and now the toys are out the pram. It is funny when you mention the parial pack sports pack to season ticket holders, they didn't really care about that blatent rip off because it didn't effect them. Now following the RM debacle and being asked to pay for a match to see world class opposiotion all the season ticket holders are losing the head and talking about how all the RPB should unite as a group against MLSE, where was all of this talk when non season ticket holders were being royally screwed by paying for Marlies tickets, a screwing far worse than the RM incident?

I don't want to pick you out individually Roogsy, I just picked up on what you wrote and it kinda backed up what I was thinking about others. If this isn't what you meant then I apologise however I was only going by what was written.

Pookie
06-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Pookie, I was actually using this on the basis for that comment:

05/30 - Saturdayat Houston Dynamo8:30 p.m. http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/x.gif http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/tickets_pack.gif (http://houston.mlsnet.com/t200/tickets/) RSN-0/P, DK, Match Center
06/02 - Tuesday @ Vancouver Whitecaps % 10:30 p.m. RSN
06/06 - SaturdayLos Angeles Galaxy4:00 p.m. http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/x.gif http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/tickets_pack.gif (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/) CBC (3:30 pm), DK, Match Center
06/13 - SaturdayNew York Red Bulls8:00 p.m. http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/x.gif http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/tickets_pack.gif (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/tickets/) RSN, DK, Match Center
06/18 - Thursday @ Montreal Impact % 8:00 p.m. RSN

That is 5 games in under 3 weeks.

I get what you are saying but consider that 2 of those games are non-MLS games.

It's no different than our May 2 through 23 stretch that featured 6 games in just over 3 weeks (4 MLS and 2 qualifiers). Or the May 19 through 26th period that featured 3 MLS games in the span of 7 days.

As for the "Amateur" nature of it, did you see this?

Lazio game moved for Champions League final
Reuters - Monday 18 May 2009, 16:19

MILAN - Lazio's Serie A game with Reggina will be played on Wednesday rather than next Sunday to allow Rome's Stadio Olimpico to be prepared for the Champions League final, the Italian league said in a statement on Monday.

Serie A matches on the penultimate weekend of the season are supposed to be played at the same time so teams do not gain an advantage from knowing other scores.

Despite Reggina being involved in a relegation battle, an exception has been made in this case after UEFA asked for the keys to the Stadio Olimpico seven days before the May 27 final between holders Manchester United and Barcelona.

eustacchio
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
^ I see what you're saying, but they didn't move the game for a friendly.

It's wrong, but for different reasons.

Darlofletch
06-01-2009, 08:28 PM
[quote=Pookie;546472]....As for the "Amateur" nature of it, did you see this?

Lazio game moved for Champions League final
Reuters - Monday 18 May 2009, 16:19

MILAN - Lazio's Serie A game with Reggina will be played on Wednesday rather than next Sunday to allow Rome's Stadio Olimpico to be prepared for the Champions League final, the Italian league said in a statement on Monday......

quote]

Champions League Final.

Meaningless (though admittedly quite exciting and glamorous) friendly.

do you not see the difference?

Any of you that like to go to away games, with all the planning that that entails in this continent, better hope our opponents don't get some glamour tie and try to change the date, leaving your flights/hotels etc useless, cos there's no way MLSE or MLS have got your back to tell them no.

Roogsy
06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
So Roogsy are you saying that your displeasure is it all down to having to pay for the match then? This kind of takes away from the concerns you expressed about the schedule, the potential for injuries etc. To be honest I think that for the majority of season ticket holders on these boards this is the main issue, it is at the end of the day all about cash. The season ticket holders have supposidly been screwed by the FO for what is pretty much the first time and now the toys are out the pram. It is funny when you mention the parial pack sports pack to season ticket holders, they didn't really care about that blatent rip off because it didn't effect them. Now following the RM debacle and being asked to pay for a match to see world class opposiotion all the season ticket holders are losing the head and talking about how all the RPB should unite as a group against MLSE, where was all of this talk when non season ticket holders were being royally screwed by paying for Marlies tickets, a screwing far worse than the RM incident?

I don't want to pick you out individually Roogsy, I just picked up on what you wrote and it kinda backed up what I was thinking about others. If this isn't what you meant then I apologise however I was only going by what was written.

What I mean by "make it part of the package" was make it the one friendly we were expecting, the one we are still expecting. That way, the boys don't have to play an additional game in July. And if it really is an issue of paying for RM to come to town...then charge the difference out of what was already paid in the seasons ticket.

To be honest, I don't care what the RM costs because I am not going. I don't watch friendlies. I am not paying a c-note to watch players give half an effort. I watch sports to watch the ultimate effort, a war, men battling it out to win points. I don't pay to watch kickabouts, shinney etc.

james
06-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Same thing applies here.

ya but if the prices are very exspensive then TFC will drive right by without half there supporters who helped make the great atmosphere they have been famous for in the first place. It will become like a Leafs types atmosphere!

TorontoBlades
06-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Moving a regular season game for a friendly is amateur. Fact.