PDA

View Full Version : KC and Head to Head

Gwando
05-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Can someone explain to me how it is that Kansas City is ahead of us in the standings if we beat them twice this season and Head-to-Head is the first tiebreaker? Also, can anyone explain how Head-to-Head works in a 3 or 4-way tie? I have read the official MLS rules but, quite honestly I still don't understand how it works.

Nuvinho
05-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Goal Diff.

Redpunkfiddle
05-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Gwando speaks truth.

In the event that two teams finish the regular season with an equal number of points, the following system will be used to break the tie:

1) The highest position shall be awarded to the team with the better win/loss record in current regular season games against all other teams equal in points. (head-to-head competition)
2) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the greater goal difference against all other teams during the regular season. (goal differential)
3) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team scoring the greatest number of total goals against all other teams during the regular season. (total goals)
4) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played on the road by each team against all other teams during the regular season. (road 1-3)
5) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played at home by each team against all other teams during the regular season. (home 1-3)
6) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the fewest team disciplinary points in the League Fair Play table during the regular season.
7) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position in the standings shall be determined by the toss of a coin.
8) The first tiebreaker in a three-way tie is also head-to-head, but it is determined via points-per-game versus the other two teams. If two teams are tied in points-per-game head-to-head, the next tie breaker is goal difference.

http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=playoffs

MLS never seem to keep the standings updated based on the latest head to head results.

Maybe they just know that this is MLS and things will change a hundred times before the end of the season and they are too lazy to bother.

rocker
05-31-2009, 12:57 PM
ya, I think that's why... i remember last year during the playoff race trying to figure it out myself, and it was a pain in the ass. cuz you might have 4 teams tied on points.. then you gotta go back and look at their head-to-head and create a sort of a "mini table" to figure it out. ugh.

really it doesn't matter until the final games are played, when at that point it can be assessed.

having followed MLS since 2007, I've developed a sort of "zen" attitude towards the tables. I don't get caught up in positions this early in the season. everyone is so close, and with all these ties, every team is still in play!

Gwando
05-31-2009, 02:04 PM
TFC: 6 points for beating Kansas twice, plus 1 point for tie with DC United = 7 pts.
DC United: 1 point for tie with Kansas, plus 1 point for tie with TFC = 2 pts.
Kansas: 1 point for tie with DC United, 0 points against TFC = 1 pt.

Eastern Conference Table:
Team Points GD
Chicago 21 7
Toronto 16 -3
DC United 16 1
Kansas 16 2

Columbus and New England decided on GD since they haven't played each other yet and then New York on the bottom.

Redpunkfiddle
05-31-2009, 02:21 PM
TFC: 6 points for beating Kansas twice, plus 1 point for tie with DC United = 7 pts.

Team Points GD
Chicago 21 7
Toronto 16 -3
DC United 16 1
Kansas 16 2

Columbus and New England decided on GD since they haven't played each other yet and then New York on the bottom.

It will be points per game, as some teams will play each other 3 times and others 2. So you'll have to divide it like that.

Gwando
05-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Hello;
I was wondering if you could answer a question I have concerning the Standings as they appear on the website?

In the Eastern Conference, there are three teams currently tied at 16 points. As per the MLS Rules for tiebreaking, Head-to-Head is the first consideration, followed by Goal Differential, Total Goals, etc. Now I understand that the necessity of this would only really be needed at (or near) the end of the season but, if one were to draw up a current table, based on Head-to-Head as the first tiebreaker, would this be correct?

Team Points GD
Chicago 21 7
Toronto 16 -3
DC United 16 1
Kansas 16 2

Thank you for your time;