PDA

View Full Version : Real Madrid "Friendly" - What is your Opinion??

Chevy
05-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Really hot topic today, so I thought I would start a poll and we can put some numbers to what the unwashed masses (us) think.

Jack
05-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Hurry up with the poll then!

K1nG
05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
I am NOT HAPPY that seasons ticket holders essentially got screwed over.

Chevy
05-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Hurry up with the poll then!

I was thinking! Slowly!

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-29-2009, 08:09 PM
im all for Real Madrid...how often do you get a chance like this in Canada to see your local team play European Legends? Just as long as MLSE dont
charge over the top for what is a friendly...We all know MLS is a step or
two!! below LaLiga, but wouldn't be nice to give RM a game :}

Jack
05-29-2009, 08:11 PM
So your questions are more speculative about whether it will happen or not?

TheRenter
05-29-2009, 08:11 PM
hmmmm....isn't there a whole thread already dedicated to all of this!?.....um yeah, pretty sure there is:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13862

8 pages and counting, as a matter of fact..

Chevy
05-29-2009, 08:15 PM
So your questions are more speculative about whether it will happen or not?

It's not confirmed, so IMO that has to be one of the options. Maybe once its confimed you can run another poll to guage the interest level, predict ticket prices, etc, etc...

dag
05-29-2009, 08:38 PM
IF the Real match is confirmed, any idea if SSHs would have first dibs on their own seats? Or first dibs on a general seat sale via the web?

Jack
05-29-2009, 08:41 PM
IF the Real match is confirmed, any idea if SSHs would have first dibs on their own seats? Or first dibs on a general seat sale via the web?
Chances are that we would.

Of course, you can imagine the field day the scalper, diddling scum would have with this.

RedsYNWA
05-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Why post an obvious poll....this reminds me of the Dale Mitchell Poll LOL

Jack
05-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Why post an obvious poll....this reminds me of the Dale Mitchell Poll LOL
Quit trolling.

RedsYNWA
05-29-2009, 08:51 PM
^^^^ No Comment

H Bomb
05-29-2009, 08:53 PM
It's days like today I'm happy as hell the Jack is the voice of this group. Keep up the good work dude. You've articulated my argument without cussing at all....but I like to cuss so that's why we've got you! Huzza! I'm sure we'll have right of refusal...and I will refuse, with a complaint to my ticket rep. I hope those of you who agree will do the same

Ageroo
05-29-2009, 08:59 PM

As far as I know. Any match that involves TFC....STH have first crack at their own seats.

Jack
05-29-2009, 09:01 PM
^^^^ No Comment
Yet you felt the need to post? :rolleyes:

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Yet you felt the need to post? :rolleyes:

Yeah thats what I thought. LOL

I wonder if he thinks Liverpool would pull this stunt. :cool:

Super
05-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Not very interested in friendlies, period.

RedsYNWA
05-29-2009, 09:08 PM
I'll tell you what I think..... I love TFC, have since day 1
Everyone has a difference of opinion...as far as I'm concerned the more games I get to see the better
I have met many of you in person and had nothing but great times....yet on this medium it's like the self rightous competition sometimes..oh well..peace and love good night

james
05-29-2009, 09:08 PM
if we gotta pay more for Real Madrid game then FUCK OFF MADRID, oh and you to MLSE!!!:D

and no i wont buy tickets if so.

905shmick
05-29-2009, 09:52 PM
So FIFA wouldn't allow a rescheduling last year when TFC had a lot of players missing for Intl. call-ups but they'll allow it now cuz some big name team is coming to down and it means more money?

MLSE, MLS and FIFA can piss off.

james
05-29-2009, 10:39 PM
So FIFA wouldn't allow a rescheduling last year when TFC had a lot of players missing for Intl. call-ups but they'll allow it now cuz some big name team is coming to down and it means more money?

ya ive stood up for MLS alot, but this just makes MLS look pathetic mickey mouse, they dont even care about there own League matches. All they want is the quickest way to get cash, this is just as bad a stunt as bringing over Beckham.

905shmick
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
NEE is boycotting the match. FB group for it here - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=88024088461

Blizzard
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM

FIFA had nothing to do with it. It was all MLS.

Cambridge_Red
05-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Against modern Football

Inswingingwingman
05-30-2009, 05:27 AM
According to the Star today the game is on, the Red Bulls match is moved to June 13. They play on a temporary grass surface at BMO August 7 the first match this side of the pond.

TFC has not annouced if this is the one friendly included in the Season Ticket Holders package or if that is for another game, but the speculate that Season Ticket holders will have first dibs on their own seats.

Probably the vast majority will take a pass on the game not wanting to see grass on their beloved turf LOL (Ducks)

denime
05-30-2009, 05:57 AM
According to the Star today the game is on, the Red Bulls match is moved to June 13. They play on a temporary grass surface at BMO August 7 the first match this side of the pond.

TFC has not annouced if this is the one friendly included in the Season Ticket Holders package or if that is for another game, but the speculate that Season Ticket holders will have first dibs on their own seats.

Probably the vast majority will take a pass on the game not wanting to see grass on their beloved turf LOL (Ducks)

Dude there are 70 pages on this topic already,all we wanted is your opinion,not the full report what already happened,in previous 70 pages of Real Madrid Soap Opera. ;)

Inswingingwingman
05-30-2009, 06:18 AM
How can you have an opinion when there is a major fact missing.

Well maybe 2.

1. Game is included for season ticket holders Yes or No.

2. Is the Game on TV? I don't go to Toronto often, it's at least 80 bucks for the train, and I can't drive at night.

At the end of the day it seems 1/2 the 'supporters' won't go to either match, they planned on having a tea party the one day and 'friendlies' should never happen. So I might just plan on going to the June game as the scalpers will trade a tin of Sardines for an el primo seat. I gotta count my pension leftovers on Monday first.

So my opinion is:
1. I watch games on TV, except for the opening game this year where one kind person gave me 2 tickets and I was already in TO playing a concert at noon, so as long as the game is on my Big Screen with surround sound and I've got a bottle of single malt and my red shirt on I'm ok with that.

2. I hope the friendly is on TV.

End of story.

And I don't twit.

Limani_Ole
05-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Season ticket holders are responsible for the success of soccer in Toronto.. IF we get screwed I really see it as a slap in the face... cant believe they would even consider this... what a farse MLSE is.. they finally showed their true colours..

We should all organize a boycott on the next TFC game or protest outside the stadium before the RM game..

nascarguy
05-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I heard that ac milan is coming to play in toronto but not vs. tfc now this game could be vs. real madrid

Detroit_TFC
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I love these magnificent flights of fancy before there's any official announcement of prices, STH priority, etc.

Chevy
05-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I love these magnificent flights of fancy before there's any official announcement of prices, STH priority, etc.

....and thus the "all rumour" option in the poll...

Detroit_TFC
05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't think RM coming to TO is a rumor, just the wild speculation about the terms and conditions.

JonO
05-30-2009, 01:15 PM
^^ Well - as per Paul's post in the other thread, it's not 100% confirmed yet - thus no official announcement

PRB
05-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm not a season ticket holder but I would have thought it was only right and sensible that season ticket holders get first refusal on their seats.

Would be excellent if it did happen, would be a money maker for the club and of course give everyone the chance to see some world class players.

nascarguy
05-30-2009, 02:26 PM
a official announcement very soon stilling working out the tv money i have been told that is what is making this take so long

Jack
05-30-2009, 03:04 PM
It's great to see everyone thinking of getting tickets for this game rather than the success of TFC this season. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will be a great spectacle for all to enjoy this friendly. I also hope it doesn't adversely affect our season.

SilverSamurai
05-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Epic match, but I wonder how many of Real Madrid's starting 11 will actually play and how many will be subs or up and comers?
Not to say that I don't think this won't be an exciting match.
Doubt I'd be going though since I don't have a job yet. Ah the life of a recent grad...

Jeffro
05-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Very true. There hasn't even been an announcement yet, but there are already protests and boycotts being planned.

International friendlies have been a part of the MLS marketing and finances longer than tfc has. It's a necessary evil to keep the league afloat and raise it's profile in Noirth American sports.

Seems to me that Paul has bent over backwards to get us a big club this year, because everyone complained last year.

He's gotten us a big club, managed to keep it at BMO not Rogers Centre and bringing grass. Lets wait for an announcement before we descend on BMO with pitchforks and torches.

Fuck I'm sick of all these threads about the friendly... It's fuckin' game day and the board is obsessed with a friendly in August.

Bobo
05-30-2009, 03:37 PM
My opinion is its bullshit and should be boycotted by supporter groups should it happen. But I'll wait until things become official...

But agree with Jeffro118, its GAME DAY!!!!:scarf: Who's heading to Shoeless??

boban
05-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Very true. There hasn't even been an announcement yet, but there are already protests and boycotts being planned.

International friendlies have been a part of the MLS marketing and finances longer than tfc has. It's a necessary evil to keep the league afloat and raise it's profile in Noirth American sports.

Seems to me that Paul has bent over backwards to get us a big club this year, because everyone complained last year.

He's gotten us a big club, managed to keep it at BMO not Rogers Centre and bringing grass. Lets wait for an announcement before we descend on BMO with pitchforks and torches.
Here here.
:flare: :drum: :cheers:

james
05-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Fuck I'm sick of all these threads about the friendly... It's fuckin' game day and the board is obsessed with a friendly in August.

see for me the reason im mad about the friendly is because of the short notice about the date change and now i have to miss the new scheduled Red Bulls match since im gonna be travelling on June 13th. Thats why im pissed. Had they given us more notice i wouldnt be so mad. Also my buddy is away travelling right now and returns on the 16th, so he also will miss the game but wont even find out about it till he returns. SO theres loss of money for him.

And what do TFC do to make up for us missing matches, my buddy lossing money he paid....most likely just offer us to fork out more money to see Real Madrid, prices probably gonna cost us an arm and a leg.

prizby
05-30-2009, 04:20 PM
i have it confirmed that Real Madrid is a go and that there is a possibility of another big friendly in the near future as well!!!

james
05-30-2009, 04:23 PM
i have it confirmed that Real Madrid is a go and that there is a possibility of another big friendly in the near future as well!!!

ya we already knew they were still getting a friendly for us....but it wont be big like Real Madrid, probably be more in line with are previous friendlies like when we played Pachuca or Benifica and then sell it off like its huge.....tho to me friendlies are all meanningless so who cares. I hope we can qualify for Champions League, come on TFC!!!

torontocelt
05-30-2009, 04:23 PM
It's great to see everyone thinking of getting tickets for this game rather than the success of TFC this season. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will be a great spectacle for all to enjoy this friendly. I also hope it doesn't adversely affect our season.

You could counter this argument and say that playing RM will have a positive affect on the players. Perhaps the players will raise their game in the following weeks having been inspired by playing against world class opposition and one of the most famous clubs in the world? Perhaps playing against players like Robbin, Raul and Huntelaar will make the TFC players realize that they need to up their game if they are to have any ambitions to play at a higher level, maybe one or two of them will learn something from the experience?

It will be interesting to see what the players themselves have to say about the match as well as the coach, obvoiusly we wont hear anything until the game is confirmed though. I honestly believe that the players will be extremely excited at the prospect of playing RM, it is a chance to test themselves against the best, who wouldn't want that? If the players are happy with the situation then that will be good enough for me.

james
05-30-2009, 04:30 PM
You could counter this argument and say that playing RM will have a positive affect on the players. Perhaps the players will raise their game in the following weeks having been inspired by playing against world class opposition and one of the most famous clubs in the world? Perhaps playing against players like Robbin, Raul and Huntelaar will make the TFC players realize that they need to up their game if they are to have any ambitions to play at a higher level, maybe one or two of them will learn something from the experience?

It will be interesting to see what the players themselves have to say about the match as well as the coach, obvoiusly we wont hear anything until the game is confirmed though. I honestly believe that the players will be extremely excited at the prospect of playing RM, it is a chance to test themselves against the best, who wouldn't want that? If the players are happy with the situation then that will be good enough for me.

good point. But even if the players or coach were against the idea for playing Real Madrid in a very inportant part of out regular season they wouldnt say it. They wouldnt want to disapoint fans who are exciting about Real Madrid comming and willing to fork out lots of money.

But it would be interresting to see how TFC players and all really feal about this match against Real Madrid. Im sure for some, even more so for young players who have never played a big euro club may be rather excited. I guess if i was playing for TFC i would love a chance to try playing against a big club over seas to see how we compare to each other.

torontocelt
05-30-2009, 04:45 PM
For some of the young guys in the team who train with, play with and play against in training senior players like DeRo they might be thinking 'that guy DeRo is a bit special, I am gonna have to work hard to get anywhere near as good as him'. I would imagine after the RM game that these same young players having seen live or even played against a player like Robben will think 'Jeez I thought DeRo was a great player but that Robbin is crazy, I am going to have to work even harder than I thought to get as good as him'. Playing against better opposition should inspire players and make them better, many managers and players mention this all the time. I really could not imagine any TFC player not being up for this one, the experience of this game will live in their memories for the rest of their lives.

Marco2K
05-30-2009, 07:29 PM
For some of the young guys in the team who train with, play with and play against in training senior players like DeRo they might be thinking 'that guy DeRo is a bit special, I am gonna have to work hard to get anywhere near as good as him'. I would imagine after the RM game that these same young players having seen live or even played against a player like Robben will think 'Jeez I thought DeRo was a great player but that Robbin is crazy, I am going to have to work even harder than I thought to get as good as him'. Playing against better opposition should inspire players and make them better, many managers and players mention this all the time. I really could not imagine any TFC player not being up for this one, the experience of this game will live in their memories for the rest of their lives.

What the hell are you talking about?

Bottom line is nobody should be excited cause real madrid is coming. Who cares. TFC has to make the playoffs. Not sell more tickets. Now us season ticket holders have to ponny up more cash. Bullshit.

Then if we do make the playoffs we have to pay as well. Damn.:scarf:

torontocelt
05-30-2009, 08:17 PM
What the hell are you talking about?

Bottom line is nobody should be excited cause real madrid is coming. Who cares. TFC has to make the playoffs. Not sell more tickets. Now us season ticket holders have to ponny up more cash. Bullshit.

Then if we do make the playoffs we have to pay as well. Damn.:scarf:

Okay then it has been decided that none of us should be excited by RM coming, thanks for setting me straight on that. Season ticket holders do not have to ponny up more cash, well not unless they want to go that is but no one is allowed to get excited about RM coming so I guess no one will be going, certainly not you anyway? I guess it isn't bull shit either cause by not going and not having to ponny up the cash it doesn't matter, well not to you anyway cause you have no interest in it? God forbid having to spend more cash if we make the play offs, I mean I guess no one in FO ever pointed this out, this must be a shock to your system? I guess we should all hope and pray that we don't make it so we dont have to ponny up even more cash?

Pookie
05-31-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm excited but not necessarily for the game itself.

Yes, it will be a test to play against one of the best sides in the world but while the team is coming, are their best players also coming? If they come, will they play?

What I'm excited about is the temporary grass surface.

Not because I want to see it for a game. I say that because I think it will be a very difficult PR move to remove this surface after the game and return to artificial turf.

The money would have already been spent to install it and then to chuck it immediately following the game would seemingly be a complete waste.

Further, how in the hell does MLSE spin it?

I mean, what kind of message is it to say that we have to install this grass for THEIR players, as if they are worth more. But for the players we are investing in who play for our club... who you fans pay to see.... well, turf is good enough. Screw your knees boys, it's THEIR knees we are concerned about. We'd rather risk the MLS season outcome vs THEIR upcoming season chances.

I don't see any logical outcome other than the temporary surface remaining in place for at least the remainder of the season.

Mango Kid
05-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Surely they realize it'll already be bad that it isn't included, so they'll throw us a bone and give us the first right of refusal on tickets, with pricing starting at "Arm+leg" and moving up to first born and beyond.

AL-MO
05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Given how poor these temporary grass surfaces are, why would you be excited?

Reality check needed ... the "Red Bitch Boys" will be whining and whining about how horrible the temporary surface is after a week or two of playing on it

I think you don't understand the concept of a temporary grass surface here.

!!! ROTFLMAO!!!

Fuck off Fitz.

nfitz
05-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Fuck off Fitz.I thought personal attacks were verbotten here?

Why do you think they would keep playing on dead grass for months after they lay it?

Pookie
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I think you don't understand the concept of a temporary grass surface here. It's a carpet of dead grass.

I don't think you totally understand the concept of the investment.

In googling various costs associated with stadiums/field turf/etc, a temporary grass surface is estimated to run you somewhere in the $250-500k range.

A full NFL style grass system (with irrigation, heating, drainage) runs in the neighbourhood of $1.8M.

Here's your challenge. Do you spend up to a half million dollars only to throw it away to bring in grass 2 years from now?

Your cost of grass becomes $2-2.25M if you factor in what you paid for a temporary surface.

Or do you salvage what you can of this temporary investment and offset the cost of making it permanent?

If you are going to invest close to 30% of the cost to put in a permanent system in something that you are going to just throw away, how logical is that?

It would be like wanting to change the plumbing and electrical in my new home but deciding first to rip down the drywall and repaint it. Then ripping it down again, doing the work on the plumbing and electrical, putting up brand new drywall and repainting it again.

What's the cost of making it permanent?

Beyond the $1.8M (estimated), you'd have to compensate the city for lost rental revenue through the winter.

That could be done through a direct payment. The city makes revenue off BMO in the neighbourhood of $150/hour for rentals. Let's assume that it rents 5 hours a day for 200 days. That's $150k that the city would need to find from MLSE to approve the grass plan.

Or perhaps they'd be open to your plans to host other international events in 2010 now that you have a new grass surface (remember FIFA U20 brought in over $900k) in revenue.

There are a lot of angles to this but simply put, it was more cost prohibitive before this decision as the cost of grass would have been $1.8M plus the compensation due to the city.

The decision to install a temporary surface changes the money equation to the point that it may offer an advantage now to make it permanent.

All things being equal, making it permanent now gives you an edge on Vancouver in terms of bidding on international events, enables you to compete for higher profile players and eliminates all the negative PR that is out there.

Those are fairly interesting facts considering plans to add 8,000 new seats are on the books.

nfitz
05-31-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't think you totally understand the concept of the investment.??? Why not.

Here's your challenge. Do you spend up to a half million dollars only to throw it away to bring in grass 2 years from now?.It's two separate issues. The temporary grass is only good for a couple of weeks (more likely a few days the way the surface at BMO Field is used) ... and there's no way they can start installing anything permanent until the fall ... much longer really given the complexities of making an arrangement with the landord.

The decision on temporary grass for a single game is based totally on the revenue/prestige from that game, and would have no relationship to long-term decisions.

And quite frankly, I think it's a waste of money to do temporarily ... but if the team thinks it's worthwhile ... then all the power to them; it will be an interesting experiment. And who knows, if they take care of it, and keep people off it, perhaps it will survive to the August 15th game with DC United ... though I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts the week.

Pookie
05-31-2009, 01:12 PM
There is a way to solve every engineering problem.

If there was no possibility that it could last until the 15th of August, they would come out and say it now. Instead, they say that "a decision on whether the grass will remain until the end of the season has not yet been made."

You also have this.

The last TFC Home game is July 18th. There are no MLS events booked at BMO until that August 7th date. That gives close to 4 weeks to review your engineering options.

Of course, you'd have to find alternative facilities for those that have booked the field for league events but if they can move an MLS game, they can move them (including the NLL). It's a headache but not impossible for those who are considering investing $2M.

The biggest challenge this time of year is irrigation.

For example, depending on the system you might be able to purchase your irrigation system, build up your temporary foundation, run your lines under... fill with top soil and lay your "temporary surface."

The irrigation system could keep the temporary surface running all summer. It's not rocket science. Millions of people lay sod every year and have no trouble keeping it going. It's a matter of water, sun and fertilization.

Through the fall and winter (under a bubble), this temporary foundation could be removed, the lines you've bought could then be laid in the permanent foundation and things like heating and drainage improvements could be made.

The point is that you've invested in the irrigation system under the temporary surface. You own it now and could use it to keep your temporary grass through the season.

AL-MO
05-31-2009, 02:09 PM
I thought personal attacks were verbotten here?

Why do you think they would keep playing on dead grass for months after they lay it?

I don't. But I am not about to allow you to take shots at a group that many of us pour hours into and the same group that hosts the message board you once posted on.

BC101
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM

you know it will. One extra needless game...................

Davenport
05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
My opinion is it's....... a joke.
To change a schedule....a joke.
To turn the surface into grass....a joke.
To expect people to pay stupid money to watch a friendly match where players don't want to get injured....a joke.
MLSE......a joke.
MLS...a joke.

prizby
05-31-2009, 02:53 PM
MLS...a joke.

The only thing i agree with 100% to the heart...the MLS is currently the only (top) league that schedules games during international duty...and they are most certainly the only league that do not reschedule games when there are international call ups

ya we already knew they were still getting a friendly for us....but it wont be big like Real Madrid, probably be more in line with are previous friendlies like when we played Pachuca or Benifica and then sell it off like its huge.....tho to me friendlies are all meanningless so who cares. I hope we can qualify for Champions League, come on TFC!!!

from what i have heard, it will be a good surprise, and its another big team...not as big as real madrid, but close, alot bigger than benefica

AL-MO
05-31-2009, 03:04 PM
from what i have heard, it will be a good surprise, and its another big team...not as big as real madrid, but close, alot bigger than benefica

I would say the other one is similar to Benfica. Not that there is a problem with that.

Ladies Love Julius James
05-31-2009, 03:06 PM
I heard FC St. Pauli from somewhere LOL cant remember where.

Hooligan69
05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
I heard FC St. Pauli from somewhere LOL cant remember where.

Hamburg, Germany?

dannyd
05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
where's the option on the poll for "who cares about a stupid meaningless friendly in the middle of our fucking season"... I really don't understand these games.

PRB
05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
This is one of the biggest teams in the world we're talking about. I dont blame the club really. This is a major pay day, possibly the biggest, from any fixture. It would be naive to think that the club wouldn't pull out all the stops for this to happen including hiking ticket prices as frustrating as it is. The media coverage here and in madrid can only be beneficial and the money the club can make can only help.

werewolf
05-31-2009, 04:37 PM
I just beat Real Madrid in penalties to win the Champions League.

I thought you all should know.

BC101
05-31-2009, 05:08 PM
I just beat Real Madrid in penalties to win the Champions League.

I thought you all should know.
sounds good to me.

Kooper
06-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I will wait to vote my disgust or pleasure when it is officially announced.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2009, 07:57 AM
I will wait to vote my disgust or pleasure when it is officially announced.

There will be another thread (at least one other) when it becomes official. Conject away.

I voted (isn't voting fun) that the most likely option would be offering STH the first dibs. I would think any refunding or including this game in the Seasons package to be to much work or a loss of profit for the club.

I see why this game can't be included in the STH package and that when a team as big as this agrees to terms one can't turn away.

This game will be a sellout and those of us that disagree with it in concept or principle (most of us) can skip it and say to ourselves

"Well that's one less Glory Hunter team we can cross off TFC's to do list."

and someday the club can see they've touched every fairweather fan in the area/country and can stop marketing any team but their own.

sampace
06-01-2009, 08:55 AM
This game is fine, I hope a second game with an Italian Serie A Team can be arranged. Perhaps Bologna, or Napoli, or Sienna.

Jack
06-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Important stuff here.

Let's focus

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13956

Cowboy905
06-01-2009, 03:01 PM
anyone know anything about the August 5th match with Juve vs River Plate?

can't find any info on it!

menefreghista
06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
anyone know anything about the August 5th match with Juve vs River Plate?

can't find any info on it!

Considering it hasn't been officially announced yet, what are you expecting to find out?

Cowboy905
06-01-2009, 05:32 PM
see i didn't know that.

the guys over at the Usector board had a link to a Juve Fan site in Italian that said Juve vs Riverplate in Toronto.

i was hoping to find more on that but if its not official, guess i won't.

Dave67
06-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Important stuff here.

Let's focus

Very important.

Chevy
06-01-2009, 07:16 PM
see i didn't know that.

the guys over at the Usector board had a link to a Juve Fan site in Italian that said Juve vs Riverplate in Toronto.

i was hoping to find more on that but if its not official, guess i won't.

Looks fairly legit - Aug 5th in Toronto, Aug 8th in Edmonton

http://juworld.net/

pubboy
06-02-2009, 02:35 PM
This is one of the biggest teams in the world we're talking about. I dont blame the club really. This is a major pay day, possibly the biggest, from any fixture. It would be naive to think that the club wouldn't pull out all the stops for this to happen including hiking ticket prices as frustrating as it is. The media coverage here and in madrid can only be beneficial and the money the club can make can only help.

Over here, yes you are correct that i'm sure there will be lots of media coverage. In Madrid ? It may get a mention, although it will be just a meaningless game as part of their pre season training.

Pyeddo
06-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Be nice to see Kaka! (although I doubt he'll come)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/06/02/1301677/ac-milan-and-real-madrid-agree-kaka-transfer-says-spanish

brad
06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Be nice to see Kaka! (although I doubt he'll come)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/06/02/1301677/ac-milan-and-real-madrid-agree-kaka-transfer-says-spanish

If he signs, he will come, along with the rest of the stars. This game is now on Madrid's official site, with this quote:

"The exhibition matches are a key part of Real Madrid's strategy to globalize its brand as the premier football club in the world and have been organized in cooperation with Multimedia Sports."

You do that with your big names.

cmonyoureds
06-02-2009, 04:03 PM
If he signs, he will come, along with the rest of the stars. This game is now on Madrid's official site, with this quote:

"The exhibition matches are a key part of Real Madrid's strategy to globalize its brand as the premier football club in the world and have been organized in cooperation with Multimedia Sports."

You do that with your big names.

Don't kid yourself. "Champions World Series" billed itself as that back in 2004. In their first game ManU was booed off the pitch by fans due to the fact the starting 11 was not "your big names", arguabley not even "mid class names". Thankfully that woke Fergie up who sent for some stars for the remaining two games.

This will not be Madrid's starting 11, probably not even close, despite what they say. Any "names" will be working on fitness and play nowhere near 90 mins.

The only thing making you see stars will be ticket prices.......

brad
06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Don't kid yourself. "Champions World Series" billed itself as that back in 2004. In their first game ManU was booed off the pitch by fans due to the fact the starting 11 was not "your big names", arguabley not even "mid class names". Thankfully that woke Fergie up who sent for some stars for the remaining two games.

This will not be Madrid's starting 11, probably not even close, despite what they say. Any "names" will be working on fitness and play nowhere near 90 mins.

The only thing making you see stars will be ticket prices.......

United sent kids to give the first team players a longer rest due to Euro 2004 extending their season. Ferguson also had egg on his face, it was a major PR gaffe. He admitted as much. The stars were on the next flight over for the next match. The Man Utd - Celtic game I saw in Seattle the year before (also Champions World) was the the full starting 11.

When Madrid played DC in 2006, they had the first team out then. They took their first team to Columbia last year in pre-season What makes you think it will be different this time?

Anyway , the only thing that matters is

cmonyoureds
06-02-2009, 08:18 PM
United sent kids to give the first team players a longer rest due to Euro 2004 extending their season. Ferguson also had egg on his face, it was a major PR gaffe. He admitted as much. The stars were on the next flight over for the next match. The Man Utd - Celtic game I saw in Seattle the year before (also Champions World) was the the full starting 11.

When Madrid played DC in 2006, they had the first team out then. They took their first team to Columbia last year in pre-season What makes you think it will be different this time?

Anyway , the only thing that matters is

WC qualifying 2010, a long season, it's an MLS "friendly". Just sayin. We'll agree to disagree, and wait and see. (geez, that whole rhyme thing makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. :) )

And I'm eternally grateful to Seattle for making sure I saw the real deal in New Jersey that year. (AKA New York.)

bigsteve
06-02-2009, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE]Over here, yes you are correct that i'm sure there will be lots of media coverage. In Madrid ? It may get a mention, although it will be just a meaningless game as part of their pre season training.[/QUOTE

I will disagree as a Spaniard who lived over there for several years between 1999 and 2005. The sports papers will dedicates tons of pages to football and Real Madrid..All Real Madrid friendlies will be televised and promoted, even with a potential for a 1am KO Spanish time (just guessing 7pm eastern KO) thats is not a bad time in August when all of Spainis on Vacation

My sister will be in Spain on vacationa and I have told her to buy the Spanish "pro Real Madrid" paper MARCA on Aug 5 to 9 to see all the articles on Toronto

Dont you guys find it funny its one of the main page stories on RealMadrid.com and not one Canadian media outlet has reported it as official yet

Yeoman
06-03-2009, 08:45 PM
no interested
you honestly think we're going to get the team?
uhhhhhhhh.............aston villa? need I say more?

Hooligan69
06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Dont you guys find it funny its one of the main page stories on RealMadrid.com and not one Canadian media outlet has reported it as official yet

Details to come on Monday, according to this article in the Star...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/645360

Nuvinho
06-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Here is my take on what the prices may be:

supporters - $75
light greys - $90
medium greys - $100
greys - $120
dark greys - $140
reds - $175
club - $200

Chevy
06-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Juventus is rumoured to be in town on August 5th vs. River Plate (also playing on the 8th in Edmonton).

olegunnar
06-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Here is my take on what the prices may be:

supporters - $75
light greys - $90
medium greys - $100
greys - $120
dark greys - $140
reds - $175
club - $200

They will be much higher

I bet they're happy there's a game between now and Monday. Another kick in the nuts might actually get some people to act.

fetajr
06-04-2009, 08:49 AM
its a cash grab and I will not go.

TFC and MLS want to be taken seriously? What other big time professional team/league re-schedules a regular season game to accommodate SOMETHING ELSE? its fucking bullshit.

Nuvinho
06-04-2009, 08:52 AM
They will be much higher

I bet they're happy there's a game between now and Monday. Another kick in the nuts might actually get some people to act.

sigh!!

Chevy
06-04-2009, 08:53 AM
They will be much higher

Yeah, I think they will be a little higher too. Maybe 10-15%.