PDA

View Full Version : MLSE Receives CRTC Approval For GOLTV

Ron Manager
05-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Didn't see this posted elsewhere. Good news for footy on TV and starts to justify a couple extra bucks for this channel.

MLSE Receives CRTC Approval For GOLTV

05/28/2009 03:46 PM
TorontoFC.ca

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE) announced Thursday that they have received CRTC approval for the purchase of GOLTV Canada, which completes the sale of the 24-hour soccer network.

MLSE purchased an 80.1 per cent stake in GOLTV Canada from Insight Sports in January 2009. GOLTV US will continue to retain an ownership stake of 19.9 per cent in GOLTV Canada.

Link (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090528&content_id=5013278&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Miko
05-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Gee, do you think the Real Madrid friendly will be on Gol? (he says with heavy sarcasm)

Oldtimer
05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Great news.

Now MLSE can ensure that GOL TV will give TFC the coverage we deserve.

Later this summer, MLSE will unveil its long-term programming and production strategy for their all-soccer network which includes relaunching the GOLTV brand and relocating the network's existing studios to a high-definition broadcast facility inside Air Canada Centre.:flare::flare::flare:

Kickit09
05-29-2009, 12:17 PM
:(

RIP GOL TV

boban
05-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Gee, do you think the Real Madrid friendly will be on Gol? (he says with heavy sarcasm)
Hopefully not. At least not unless its a last resort.
For the Real friendly hopefully MLSE would exhaust CBC (RSN to a lesser extent) as the game would have better breadth of coverage allowing MLSE more revenue to recoup some cost in bringing in a big team like Real.

I don't see people clammouring to buy GolTV for just this one game. Great rating boost if on CBC though.

Pachuco
05-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Hopefully not. At least not unless its a last resort.
For the Real friendly hopefully MLSE would exhaust CBC (RSN to a lesser extent) as the game would have better breadth of coverage allowing MLSE more revenue to recoup some cost in bringing in a big team like Real.

I don't see people clammouring to buy GolTV for just this one game. Great rating boost if on CBC though.

But no friendly has been broadcasted to date. Including Benfica (huge Portuguese community) and Aston Villa.

BakaGaijin
05-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Not very impressed with the programming recently..........constant repeats of the same fluff pieces.

nfitz
05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Not very impressed with the programming recently..........constant repeats of the same fluff pieces.How many hours of new TFC programming do you expect them to produce in a week?

rocker
05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
glad to see they plan to get MLS games on the channel.

I'm tired of the boring south american matches they show... or is that Fox Sports World Canada? I can't remember.

Marc"2L"
05-29-2009, 12:59 PM
But no friendly has been broadcasted to date. Including Benfica (huge Portuguese community) and Aston Villa.

Villa game was on FSC

BakaGaijin
05-29-2009, 01:06 PM
How many hours of new TFC programming do you expect them to produce in a week?

Not very much. I'm just a bit concerned that this channel's future will end up very similiar to Leafs TV.

Hopefully it doesn't end up like that.............

boban
05-29-2009, 02:03 PM
With all due respect to those teams and their fans, they are not in the same league as Real Madrid. They have star power, and will no doubt add some this upcoming month, that will surely have more people wanting to see them on TV.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-30-2009, 04:08 PM
And if you want to be super picky, the Benfica game was broadcast in Portugal.

ensco
05-30-2009, 04:22 PM

We agree, but not for the reason you think.

That game will be on CBC, I'd bet. It'll be the first time TFC makes money from a TV broadcast. I'd love to know how much they get for this, btw, it's a huge piece of the puzzle in understanding why they're doing the RM game.

boban
05-30-2009, 04:39 PM
We agree, but not for the reason you think.

That game will be on CBC, I'd bet. It'll be the first time TFC makes money from a TV broadcast. I'd love to know how much they get for this, btw, it's a huge piece of the puzzle in understanding why they're doing the RM game.
Exactomundo Ensco.