Bars92
06-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Colorado attendance: 12,120
Toronto attendance: 20,096
Houston attendance: 17,204
Salt Lake City attendance: 15,977
(Chivas) LA attendance: 12,388
New England attendance: 8,159

Why is there even a team in New England? Imagine if they were currently not in playoff contention, would it even make a difference?:confused:

rocker
06-01-2008, 06:43 PM
new england needs a stadium that isn't in the middle of nowhere.

Broadview
06-01-2008, 06:51 PM

I wonder when the benefit of playing "rent free" at foxboro will be trumped by meager attendance.

I feel for Revs supporters. They need a stadium right in Boston somewhere.

RealG-TFC
06-01-2008, 07:03 PM
decent. Except for Colorado. That could have been higher.

Bars92
06-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I figure Chivas is alright because they have two teams in one city.

profit89
06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
looks ok but for new england.

Billy the kid
06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Espn keeps a running tab on league attendance.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=usa.1&year=2008&cc=5901
New York needs a stadium in central New York. They need to do a better job of exploiting that large a market, for the good of the league.

nascarguy
06-01-2008, 07:36 PM
ne is looking to move team in to boston area

Parkdale
06-01-2008, 07:37 PM
It's a shame that NE draws so low. They've made it to the final for the past two years
and it would be good for the league if they could get more butts in the seats.

RealG-TFC
06-01-2008, 07:39 PM
New York needs a stadium in central New York. They need to do a better job of exploiting that large a market, for the good of the league.

They are making one in Newark (7km from the Airport, Porter flies to Newark :hump:). That's why ppl want a second New York one.

james
06-01-2008, 07:39 PM
This is the average attendence from all the games up to date:

LA 24,833
TFC 19,887
DC United 18,802
Houston 18,097
Salt Lake 17,437
Chicago 16,027
Colorado 14,150
NY 13,745
Dallas 13,231
New England 12,861
Chivas 12,783
San Jose 12,479
Columbus 12,383
Kansas 9,209

NF-FC
06-01-2008, 07:43 PM
It's a shame that NE draws so low. They've made it to the final for the past two years
and it would be good for the league if they could get more butts in the seats.

from what i've been hearing its more then the stadium being in the middle of nowhere, it's the owners not caring. it's being so close to a championship and still being 500 grand under the cap. it's not replacing pat noonan, nevermind clint dempsey. i

kdzb
06-01-2008, 08:01 PM

I'm having a hard tie believing these numbers from the 2007 season.
Look at the Goal Scorer part in 2007. :eek:
If DD made those numbers in 07, he will be GOD for real:jaw:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/topscorers?league=usa.1&year=2007&cc=5901

james
06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
The 2 teams in USL with the highest average attendence last year was Rochester averaging 11,636 a game and Montreal with 11,035. Montreal attendence will most likely be more like 13,000 this season now that they got a new and bigger stadium.

rocker
06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
i heard there were some preliminary examinations of sites within Boston for a new stadium but I dunno what's happening now.
I just don't get what the point is for the NE owner (the guy who owns the NFL team). If yer gettin so few people in the big stadium, does it really make the guy any $$?
And he's rich as hell so an 80 million dollar stadium in the city shouldn't break his bank account. and he'd get thousands more fans. i just don't get why he even wants to own the team.

Bars92
06-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Kansas City should just be relocated to another city, i see their games on TV and you see people sitting on grass having a picnic ..

Toronto_Bhoy
06-01-2008, 08:30 PM
decent. Except for Colorado. That could have been higher.

Should be higher…by at least a mile…;)

Robin
06-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Kansas City should just be relocated to another city, i see their games on TV and you see people sitting on grass having a picnic ..
He owns the team to deny others from owning it -- male ego at its worst!

Robin
06-01-2008, 08:36 PM
i heard there were some preliminary examinations of sites within Boston for a new stadium but I dunno what's happening now.
I just don't get what the point is for the NE owner (the guy who owns the NFL team). If yer gettin so few people in the big stadium, does it really make the guy any $$?
And he's rich as hell so an 80 million dollar stadium in the city shouldn't break his bank account. and he'd get thousands more fans. i just don't get why he even wants to own the team.
Sorry, I meant to quick post to this one.

The owner of the NE team owns it to deny others from owning it. Male ego!

profit89
06-01-2008, 08:37 PM

he's a cheap bastard!

Roogsy
06-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I am not surprised by the KC numbers...but the NE numbers are shocking and extremely disappointing.

Columbus isn't a surprise but I was hoping that with the boost we gave them at the beginning of the year and the success the team is having, that a city that has nothing else but Ohio State Football to cheer for would catch on and support this team. It's an embarrassment.

kdzb
06-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Is this the result of yankees are not interested in soccer or bad marketing?
They should take some crash courses from MLSE marketing gurus !
Actually in Toronto they don't need to be good at marketing the people in here are so thursty about soccer that all the records were blown even with a TFC Lousy record last year

jimiv
06-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I figure Chivas is alright because they have two teams in one city.

It must suck to share a stadium with, and to be overshadowed by the leagues favourite team.

There was talk of moving Chivas to Florida.

Roogsy
06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
They should move Chivas to San Diego.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-01-2008, 09:12 PM
You know how expensive is the real estate in New York??? it would cost an arm an a leg to guy it lets not even talk about FINDING a place...

VPjr
06-01-2008, 09:17 PM
They should move Chivas to San Diego.

I think this is a very good idea. San Diego has a huge Mexican population, is very close to the border and they can play out of the San Diego Chargers stadium until they build their own SSS (if they want to).

Plus, San Diego has a great downtown...lots of fun. would be a great away trip.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-01-2008, 09:20 PM

They are talking for one in Downtown Boston,that will make a difference.
The Patriots stadium is terrible for MLS and the quicker one SSS in built the better.

boban
06-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Colorado attendance: 12,120
Why is there even a team in New England? Imagine if they were currently not in playoff contention, would it even make a difference?:confused:
These kind of statements always make me laugh.
Do some research into the history of the league
and you'll find your answer.

james
06-01-2008, 10:07 PM
I think this is a very good idea. San Diego has a huge Mexican population, is very close to the border and they can play out of the San Diego Chargers stadium until they build their own SSS (if they want to).

Plus, San Diego has a great downtown...lots of fun. would be a great away trip.

i think they should only move to another city if the city has a new SSS ready to go. Im sick of teams playing in NFL stadiums. They just look ugly and fans dont like seeing NFL gridlines all over the place, makes the league look like a amature league.

And im not entirely sure the team would do any better in San Diego, LA has a much bigger Mexican population then San Diego....only problem with LA might be that they have 2 teams in 1 city. Another problem might be that since the team is called Chivas, they are only really marketting the team to Chivas fans, not the whole mexican population. Im sure most Pachuca or Club America fans hate Chivas.

james
06-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Is this the result of yankees are not interested in soccer or bad marketing?
They should take some crash courses from MLSE marketing gurus !
Actually in Toronto they don't need to be good at marketing the people in here are so thursty about soccer that all the records were blown even with a TFC Lousy record last year

DC market there team great to. The teams that seem to strugle most are those teams who seem to only market themselfs to just the family type fans.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-01-2008, 10:19 PM
he's a cheap bastard!

Boston sports owners in a nutshell@!!

stugautz
06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
The real problem with teams in LA is no matter where you are, you're a 45 minute drive ANYWHERE. There's no real transit system to take people anywhere quickly so going to a game becomes a huge outing...something you don't mind doing once or twice...but not 15 times a year. Which is ok for a city that size with one team, but when you have a second team, it begins to fracture the support. Chivas could still work as a team if they were to build a 20,000 seat SSS closer to East LA (a stadium where the upper level could be open for weeknight games).

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Indeed, stugautz. You could be at the Staples Center and it'd still take you 45 minutes to get to the Staples Center.

Fort York Redcoat
06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
These attendances scare anyone else? I mean, I feel justified here asking for a raise in the player salaries but elsewhere? Where will the money come from? The league needs some growth still. And the expansion goes on...

NF-FC
06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
the current markets need to sort out their shit, but this future wave of expansion and stadium construction really has my hopes up. seattle could sellout their lower bowl of 24,000, and philly should be able to to come close to sellouts in their new 20,000 seater. there is also the prospect of houston getting a downtown stadium, where their attendance could explode. we all saw the 30,000 at their playoff games last year. Kansas is getting a new stadium closer to the city and san jose is getting a small 16-18,000 seat stadium that should create ticket demand.

my biggest concern right now is dallas. the novelty of their new stadium is wearing off and people are realizing that they don't like driving to frisco. Dallas, Chivas, and Columbus are at the top of my endangered list

Oldtimer
06-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Actually, except for KC, the average figures are respectable.
12,000 is good enough to make most clubs profitable.

Wagner
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
downtown is key.
there was an article talking about it....
if you want soccer moms, build in the burbs.
if you want 20-30 yr olds....build downtown....

if BMO was in Bolton or Oakville, do you think they would draw as well?

NF-FC
06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
if it was in bolton would it have tractor parking?

NF-FC
06-02-2008, 10:31 AM
but seriously, if Toyota Park was in Chicago and not Bridgeview they'd be looking at expanding the place instead of struggling to draw 16,000

Ivan
06-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Thinking of attendance makes think of those ESPN game reports. Fucks me off how "espn soccernet" keeps referring to "BMO Field, United States" in the reports. Here's the reply I got from them. Let's see if the wankers ever change it:

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for contacting us.
We value the comments and opinions of our fans. Your comments in
reference to BMO Field will be forwarded to the appropriate department
for review.

For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer
Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 7:00 am and 2:00 am EST.
Regards,
Rachel
ESPN.com Customer Care

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------
Version: navigator.appName
Browser: navigator.appName
ISP: navigator.appName
Name: Ivan James

Re: soccernet.espn game reports, and this weekend's LA Galaxy - Toronto
FC report.

Why is BMO Field in Toronto always listed as being in the United States?
Looks bad on ESPN to make such a basic factual error.

Also, this weekend's LA Galaxy - Toronto FC game report seems to have
neglected the fact Toronto had more international absences than LA; I'd
say there was a bias indicating LA were more short-handed than Toronto,
and that just wasn't true. Toronto was missing it's starting goaltender,
for instance.

Thanks,
Ivan James

profit89
06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
...teams that seem to strugle most are those teams who seem to only market themselfs to just the family type fans.

QFT...

profit89
06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
my biggest concern right now is dallas. the novelty of their new stadium is wearing off and people are realizing that they don't like driving to frisco. Dallas, Chivas, and Columbus are at the top of my endangered list

Yeah.. these teams need to be looked at seriously. They may be holding the league back. NE too.

profit89
06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
downtown is key.
there was an article talking about it....
if you want soccer moms, build in the burbs.
if you want 20-30 yr olds....build downtown....

if BMO was in Bolton or Oakville, do you think they would draw as well?

Ain't that the truth.