PDA

View Full Version : Real Madrid set to play Toronto in August

Pages : [1] 2

sulfur
05-29-2009, 04:52 AM
From The Grope and Flail (aka the Globe and Mail):

All signs are pointing to a Spanish summer in the GTA, at least as far as Toronto FC are concerned.

Plans are nearing completion for one of the world’s biggest soccer clubs to visit BMO Field, as Real Madrid are set to be unveiled in the next few days as TFC’s opponents for a friendly match to be played on Friday, Aug. 7.

The nine-time European champions will be travelling to North America for a two-game series against Major League Soccer opposition, with a game in Washington against D.C. United – announced yesterday – to take place on Sunday, Aug. 9, two days after the visit to Toronto.

As a result, the originally scheduled fixture against the New York Red Bulls has been moved from Aug. 9 to Saturday, June 13, which Paul Beirne, TFC’s senior director of business operations, confirmed yesterday.

Toronto FC will also be installing a temporary grass surface on top of the artificial turf at BMO Field to accommodate the 31-time Spanish league champions, although whether that surface will remain in place for the remainder of TFC’s MLS schedule is not known.

Ticket prices have also yet to be confirmed, although Toronto FC are said to be pursuing another opponent for a second exhibition game to fulfill their one-game commitment to season ticket holders, enabling the Real Madrid tickets to be sold at a premium, and not inclusive of season ticket packages.
More here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/real-madrid-set-to-play-in-toronto/article1158914/

sweetlemon69
05-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Get out.......

denime
05-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Ticket prices have also yet to be confirmed, although Toronto FC are said to be pursuing another opponent for a second exhibition game to fulfill their one-game commitment to season ticket holders, enabling the Real Madrid tickets to be sold at a premium, and not inclusive of season ticket packages. :nono: :frown2:

That's the way to show appreciation for die hard support they get every single game day.:hump:

Wagner
05-29-2009, 06:05 AM
the "Changez" is not cool.
sold at a premium??

come on!

i really hope this is wrong...or the reporter misunderstood things.

Waggy
05-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Boo tickets at premium. Yay Real Madrid!!! I hope they don't rape me too hard for tickets, I am a starving student and want to be able to go, but FUCKING AWESOME

Afra
05-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Sold at a premium - surprise surprise. Screw that, if the price of my ticket is double then they can keep it. Real is just going to hurt our players (like Villa did).

Carter
05-29-2009, 06:12 AM
HOLD ON!!!! FIRST, they move the NYRB game so they can play this game, and then i have to pay for this shit.....

denime
05-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Real Grass for Real Madrid,someone has to pay,and it want be MLSE that's for sure.
TFC SUPPORTERS= :sheep:=MLSE

Carter
05-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Real Grass for Real Madrid,someone has to pay,and it want be MLSE that's for sure.

You are kinda right there, but you gotta remember Real Madrid, is the richest club in the world, net work of 1.39 Billion dollars. So they are gunna have pay out HUGE to Real Madrid for this game..

Ageroo
05-29-2009, 06:24 AM

Now I want to know who the fuck we are actually getting for our Friendly in the ticket package........

King Jeff
05-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Unless the prices are insane, I'm still going. Pretty weak that we'll still need to buy tickets, but you've got to pay for Madrid and grass somehow.

denime
05-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Now I want to know who the fuck we are actually getting for our Friendly in the ticket package........

I think MLSE will surprise us with a friendly game vs another Championship team.

CSL Champions,Serbian White Eagles

brad
05-29-2009, 06:33 AM
I think MLSE will surprise us with a friendly game vs another Championship team.

CSL Champions,Serbian White Eagles

Isn't it an International Friendly? Bring on the Pittsburgh Riverhounds!

king dave
05-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Wow, so 2 Spanish teams are coming!;).
KD.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 06:40 AM
People who want to see Real Madrid are many. This is great for them but I can only see the cost of bringing them here. The insult to TFC to put down grass and making them play a useless friendly midseason that may hurt them. Great for team exposure but I won't be a part of it.

MrHawk
05-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Nothing more than a cash grab.

This is a game where every Real Madrid GH, Casual and Real Fan will come out. I don't imagine many TFC support for this game.

OneLoveOneEric
05-29-2009, 06:47 AM
That's the way to show appreciation for die hard support they get every single game day.:hump:

What a bunch of cunts. If this is true, I hope the people who defend MLSE start to wise up.
They'll probably give out Raul bobbleheads to STH as a bonus for our support.

Kayed
05-29-2009, 06:58 AM
This is tough. As much as I'd love to see Madrid play over here, I don't want TFC supporters to be bullshitted. Anyhow, if they do come over, I'll be there cheering on the reds.

Oblio2
05-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Real Madrid is huge.
However, making it a Premium game while still faffing over the ST Friendly is BS.
I wont be going

Eastend
05-29-2009, 07:02 AM
This really hurts IF true.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Nothing more than a cash grab.

This is a game where every Real Madrid GH, Casual and Real Fan will come out. I don't imagine many TFC support for this game.

Agreed but I understand that it's one of the only ways to expose those fans to TFC. The second biggest team in the world costs more money than the level we've had so far.

GBV
05-29-2009, 07:13 AM
bending over backwards (grass, shuffling schedule) for an exhibition game strikes me as a bit bush league.

with no season-ticket thing, willing to wager toronto fc fans are in the minority on this one. though everyone would warm to the makings of an upset or blah blah blah.

can't wait to see ticket prices.
triple digits across the board, perhaps?

TOBOR !
05-29-2009, 07:13 AM
... so, opponent, date, and value still TBD.

Bah.

GBV
05-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Isn't it an International Friendly? Bring on the Pittsburgh Riverhounds!

hehe i'm going to one of their games in august.

TFCRegina
05-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Come on guys, there's still the chance they bring in another top notch team to play as that international friendly. Yes it sucks, but if they bring in two top tier teams for friendlies are you really gonna complain?

Getting one free is great, yes it sucks they're gonna charge for RM but ask yourself the question, if you had to pay for the installation fee of grass wouldn't you charge for the RM game and then bring in another top tier, but not quite RM status, team for free?

MLSE is running a business, like all football teams do, we have to keep this in mind...

pubboy
05-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Friendly in the middle of the season is stupid. Always has been.

Eastend
05-29-2009, 07:28 AM
I hope the team comes out and makes an official announcement soon. I hate having this feeling of anger.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 07:31 AM
. Yes it sucks, but if they bring in two top tier teams for friendlies are you really gonna complain?

Friendly in the middle of the season is stupid. Always has been.

Wow. Quick answer.

Mikey
05-29-2009, 07:39 AM
No way in hell I'm shelling out extra dosh for a pointless friendly. I'll need to keep some cash back for the 25% season ticket price hike at the end of the year......

boban
05-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Fucken awesome I say.
I hope the premium ticket price won't rape us though. But then again this is MLSE we are talking about. But hopefully tickets at least in the designated supporters sections won't be too high.

And oh yeah .. buyaaa .. think I called Real first :) ...

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=507548#post507548

And guys like KShep121 and menefreghista should be trusted a little more.
Don't mean shit if they are not in the 'in crowd' around here. They had some info and shared it with us. No use in chastising them.
Oh well, at least Roogsy is going to wear a bra and skirt at this game. :hump:

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

(http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=507548#post507548)

denime
05-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Let alone friendly in the middle of the season being stupid,this friendly is just 2-3 days after CONCACRAP CL game,and that's retarded not stupid.

Sixteen teams will be drawn into eight two-leg series for the Preliminary Round that will be staged July 28-30 and August 4-6. The winners will then join the eight seeded teams and will be drawn into four, four team groups.

The six-round Group Phase will begin August 18 and conclude the week of October 20-22.

Nodoubtguy
05-29-2009, 07:45 AM
man, I am so curious to see what "premium" costs....

MrHawk
05-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Why is Roogsy wearing a bra and skirt?

I thought the idea was to draw people to this game? Not send everyone in shrieking terror running for their lives? ;)

boban
05-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Why is Roogsy wearing a bra and skirt?

I thought the idea was to draw people to this game? Not send everyone in shrieking terror running for their lives? ;)
^^ Thought in another thread he mentioned he was going to wear it if Real came to play??

Still Kicking
05-29-2009, 07:58 AM
DC United (according to Goff) is offering Real Madrid tickets to season ticket holders for between 50 and 100. I would expect Canadian$ to be 75 to 150 range.
I don't understand the squawk on Real Madrid not being the friendly included for STHs.
- we want real grass
- we want an expanded/improved BMO
- we want a DP - proven striker and/or proven defender
You can't seriously think that the road to these things involves taking a huge financial bath on bringing in a big time team. Big team = big appearance money. I can live with the cash grab!! Either you (the STH die hard) pay the money or step aside and let somebody with more cash than TFC loyalty finance the things we all want.
ps when faced with buying tickets for Real Madrid, putting aside $$ for MLS playoffs and a CONCACAF run is my concern. Save a buck in August and spend a lot in October/November...

brad
05-29-2009, 08:00 AM
I hope the Barca fans are planning their TIFO already :-)

BuSaPuNk
05-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm pleased it's Real I would love to go (barring outragous ticket prices). I wonder even with it being not part of the season ticket package if the FO will allow a presale to SSH/Partial Pack Holders so we get first crack at the seats before the scalpers and ACC contigent.

Roogsy
05-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Wait a sec...what does this do to my promise of showing up in a bra and skirt?

I was always referring to the international game that I AM going to (as a season ticket holder). I ain't paying a premium to go see a team I don't care about.

Razcle
05-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Wow...thankfully I hate Madrid and this news doesn't interest me or my wallet in the slightest. I am just sad I am going to miss the reds play....if they actually play any of our first teamers (as I would expect they would for such a big friendly)

brad
05-29-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm pleased it's Real I would love to go (barring outragous ticket prices). I wonder even with it being not part of the season ticket package if the FO will allow a presale to SSH/Partial Pack Holders so we get first crack at the seats before the scalpers and ACC contigent.

I'd be shocked if they didn't offer the to STH first, but that won't keep the scalpers out - they are STH's.

Pachuco
05-29-2009, 08:10 AM
WOW - MLSE - I am so angry I don't even know what to say. If I said what I felt about MLSE I would be banned from this site. If this seriously does happen, I reaaaally hope that TFC supporters' stand up and do something about it. This game will have lots of exposure, so banners would be a good start.

Ageroo
05-29-2009, 08:14 AM

Going to be interesting...first crack at your own seats...or first crack to seats in general.....I think it is going to be a free for all for season ticket holders....which is going to have all the scalpers drooling.....

Bluenose13
05-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Real Madrid in Toronto to play TFC on real grass at BMO.......Excellent !

boban
05-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Got news for you. Scalpers are part of the SSH and partial package holders.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 08:16 AM
DC United (according to Goff) is offering Real Madrid tickets to season ticket holders for between 50 and 100. I would expect Canadian$ to be 75 to 150 range.
I don't understand the squawk on Real Madrid not being the friendly included for STHs.
- we want real grass
- we want an expanded/improved BMO
- we want a DP - proven striker and/or proven defender
You can't seriously think that the road to these things involves taking a huge financial bath on bringing in a big time team. Big team = big appearance money. I can live with the cash grab!! Either you (the STH die hard) pay the money or step aside and let somebody with more cash than TFC loyalty finance the things we all want.
ps when faced with buying tickets for Real Madrid, putting aside $$ for MLS playoffs and a CONCACAF run is my concern. Save a buck in August and spend a lot in October/November...

This game is about exposure. I doubt that the $$$ they make IN PROFIT will be a much bigger ratio because of the cost to get the team here and make the TEMP adjustments to the pitch.

I doubt the exposure will turn into a televised broadcast, though.

boban
05-29-2009, 08:17 AM

I was always referring to the international game that I AM going to (as a season ticket holder). I ain't paying a premium to go see a team I don't care about.
Semantics. TFC got Real coming here. End of.
Be a man and a person of your word.

Keyman
05-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Meh. If I ran a busniess, then I'd charge "premium prices" too. So I don't really blame MLSE. They probably receive somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2 million dollars in extra revenue as a result.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 08:19 AM

Phew! Escaped by the skin of your teeth on that one!:p

KShep121
05-29-2009, 08:20 AM

Loophole! Damnit!

How about if my second prediction is right, you were bra and skirt (or panties :)) to that game... Juve on 7/22. Deal?

Suds
05-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Loophole! Damnit!

How about if my second prediction is right, you were bra and skirt (or panties :)) to that game... Juve on 7/22. Deal?

I'm starting to worry why you guys so want to see Roogsy in woman's lingerie :rolleyes: ....... I think I'll just stand over here :D

If the rumour about the other team being Juventus is true, I think MLSE has more than met their obligation on the int'l friendly included in the season seat package. Clubs don't get much bigeer than that.

If it ends up being some unkown team then I see there being outrage by SSH's. Especially if Real is sold at much higher prices which couldd potentially cut out some of the current die hard supporters.

I'll hold my judgement until all the teams and dollar amounts have been announced.

C.Ronaldo
05-29-2009, 08:35 AM
another english team?

no wait....

H Bomb
05-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Fuck you MLSE, this is another example of you talking a big game and then sucking a dick on the side. We're giving you Grass, and a DP.......oh wait no we aren't we're fucking you over at every single opportunity. This makes me sick. MLSE are proving to be the heartless corporation many people think it is.

mastermixer
05-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Unfortunately you get what you pay for. And paying $300 dollars (some are more obviously) per season ticket in a small 20000 seat stadium doesnt equal big money teams or players.

FluSH
Real Madrid in Toronto to play TFC on real grass at BMO.......Excellent !

I like the fact that we will play on a grass surface...

Mikey
I dont mind the fact they are charging premium prices for the game. I mind that we already have tickets for this included as part of our package, which MLSE is now renaging on, by trying to find any old shit to use on those tickets instead.

H Bomb
Meh. If I ran a busniess, then I'd charge "premium prices" too. So I don't really blame MLSE. They probably receive somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2 million dollars in extra revenue as a result.

come on Boyo. You're way too young to go with the jaded corporate ethics angle, like making money is an acceptable reason to fuck people over.

Mikey
05-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Why would anyone expect anything different from Maple Leaf Scalper Exchange? the new rules must be hurting the relationships between MLSE staff and their scalper buddies. This should sweeten things up a bit for them......

Suds
05-29-2009, 08:46 AM
I dont mind the fact they are charging premium prices for the game. I mind that we already have tickets for this included as part of our package, which MLSE is now renaging on, by trying to find any old shit to use on those tickets instead.

We don't know that's true yet. The other team has not been announced so it could be a big club.

However, if it is some crap unknown club I will be just as pissed as you.

Marc"2L"
05-29-2009, 08:46 AM
If they do bait and switch with premium tickets, none of us have to go.

Premium? Fine, as long as it's going towards keeping the grass in place afterward....

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 08:47 AM

While we're on it, Premium should be reserved for a game such as this not for league games. We have no Premium teams in this league. We're it.:)

H Bomb
05-29-2009, 08:48 AM
We don't know that's true yet. The other team has not been announced so it could be a big club.

However, if it is some crap unknown club I will be just as pissed as you.

No man, Mikey's right. They announce and international friendly, something he have in our ticket package, and then say, nope you dont get it. There's another one....we dont know who it is yet or anything. Even if it's Real Madrid again, this company has just lost a huge huge amount of trust from me and can expect a real hassle from me in the future.

Ladies Love Julius James
05-29-2009, 08:48 AM
I remember Roogsy saying he'd come in a bra and skirt if they were playing Real.....

MrHawk
05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
I remember Roogsy saying he'd come in a bra and skirt if they were playing Real.....

He already loopholed it, saying it would have to be the friendly game HE was going to.

nascarguy
05-29-2009, 08:52 AM
yeah but that mlse for you I'll still go but just meet the team.

The Kingpin
05-29-2009, 08:55 AM
No man, Mikey's right. They announce and international friendly, something he have in our ticket package, and then say, nope you dont get it. There's another one....we dont know who it is yet or anything. Even if it's Real Madrid again, this company has just lost a huge huge amount of trust from me and can expect a real hassle from me in the future.

The ol' bait and switch... Classy!

H Bomb
05-29-2009, 09:00 AM
again, it isnt a bait and switch, we were never baited...they know they dont have to bait us, they just have to seperate themselves and use words like business and deal. It's the lowest form of humanity through my eyes, and I'm sad to finally realise how closely i'm associated to it

Kooper
05-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Since nothing is confirmed I am upset about POSSIBLY having to pay more for this game. If they bring their A team then it could be worth the extra 50$. If however they do what European travelling teams tend to do and leave their best players on the bench then the 50$ will be a rip off.

UltraFootyKWC
05-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I just can't believe that MLSE are going to jump through hoops, like put in a grass surface for one game, to get Madrid to come play here, yet our own players have made it known how much they do not like the turf for over 2 years now, and they have done nothing for them.

And then to gouge us STH's, who are there game in and game out, by charging premium pricing to watch a game that means nothing in an already busy schedule. Fuck that! The suits and casual fans can have my seats, I'll keep my money, thank you.

Steve
05-29-2009, 09:16 AM
If they do bait and switch with premium tickets, none of us have to go.

Premium? Fine, as long as it's going towards keeping the grass in place afterward....

Not going to happen. In case you didn't know, BMO is booked for rec leagues throughout the summer as well. Do you you what rec leagues do to a grass pitch? Now, do you know what they do to a TEMPORARY grass pitch? (keep in mind I don't mean just rec leagues, I mean the amount of use BMO gets on a weekly basis). I don't see the temporary grass pitch staying for more than a few games (at most).

As for this not being part of our ticket package, I'm kind of pissed too, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Now, the truth is, either MLSE let this out by accident, or they screwed up BIG TIME. Here is what you WANT to do if you're MLSE:

Announce the INCLUDED friendly. It should be a relatively good team, that people have heard of, and a good number of people are happy to see (and pay the face value we've already payed). Now, after you've done that, wait for weeks (at least 3) and THEN you announce that you've been able to secure a great club over and beyond the included friendly. At this point, no one can complain, because they were already happy with the friendly they had, and we were only ever told we were going to get one friendly. It just looks like MLSE is working hard to bring us quality opposition, and it's only natural they charge for this extra game.

The way it is now, no matter who the free friendly is (unless it's Man U or Barca) it's going to be seen as a huge let-down to a lot of people because it won't be Real Madrid. They'll be thinking about how MLSE screwed them because they SHOULD have had Real Madrid for free, instead of thinking about how MLSE was good for bringing in another club. Im not saying people will be wrong by thinking this, I will be thinking the same thing, I'm just saying that MLSE made a huge tactical error.

Of course, from the way things went down, my suggested scenario was probably what MLSE tried to do. Unfortunately, since they were unable to book the free friendly in a timely fashion (we all know how Paul has been struggling, I bet Real Madrid has been signed for a while) and now, with the rescheduled game in two weeks, and them needing to start the marketing for the Real Madrid game sooner than later, it's going to need to come out. Paul, whose job it is to book the free friendly, is not going to be the most popular with his bosses right now.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 09:25 AM

The way it is now, no matter who the free friendly is (unless it's Man U or Barca) it's going to be seen as a huge let-down to a lot of people because it won't be Real Madrid. They'll be thinking about how MLSE screwed them because they SHOULD have had Real Madrid for free, instead of thinking about how MLSE was good for bringing in another club. Im not saying people will be wrong by thinking this, I will be thinking the same thing, I'm just saying that MLSE made a huge tactical error.

Agreed.Now that's niave.

TFC Cityboy
05-29-2009, 09:26 AM
To my mind the free ticket to the friendly is a bonus- I certainly don't keep my STs because it includes a friendly/ Nutrilite Cdn Championship. I keep it for the LEAGUE games.

If Real is coming- that is fabulous and will raise the profile of TFC across the country and around the world.
I would expect the club to give STHs first refusal on our regular seats. Would I expect to pay more than I do for a match against KC/ NY fizzy drinks? Fuck yeah. Do I expect to be gorged $70 up for a ticket in the South Stand, no.

Hopefully the prices will be fair given the opposition (who may field a reserve team anyway)

nimamalek
05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
So as it stands,
1. we move a regular season game from a nice time in August to a busy time in June where Amado and Wynne are going to be missing
2. we now only have 3 home games in July, August and September
3. we piss off the season ticket holders by making them pay extra for a good friendly.
4. we force a second useless friendly

I dont know what the scheduling is like but this could have all been fixed if they moved the friendly to the Roger centre and put grass down

1. they wouldnt need to mess with the scheduling
2. 2 home games in August are better then 1
3. the 16,000 season ticket holders could use their friendly tickets for this friendly and the other 34,000 seats at the Roger Centre could be used to pay for the match
4. no second useless friendly to fill their obligation to us

Make it happen!!!!!!!!

brad
05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Not going to happen. In case you didn't know, BMO is booked for rec leagues throughout the summer as well. Do you you what rec leagues do to a grass pitch? Now, do you know what they do to a TEMPORARY grass pitch? (keep in mind I don't mean just rec leagues, I mean the amount of use BMO gets on a weekly basis). I don't see the temporary grass pitch staying for more than a few games (at most).

Someone who knows more about this - feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure that turf laid this way is already dead - so even without the community use, leaving it down for long is not an option.

H Bomb
05-29-2009, 09:29 AM
im pretty certain last years face value on tickets was around 70 dollars for the south end.

MrHawk
05-29-2009, 09:30 AM
im pretty certain last years face value on tickets was around 70 dollars for the south end.

Correct!. I remember this as a shit-storm started for someone selling that ticket for $70 when they didn't pay $70 for it (Or something to that affect)

brad
05-29-2009, 09:30 AM
So as it stands,
1. we move a regular season game from a nice time in August to a busy time in June where Amado and Wynne are going to be missing
3. we piss off the season ticket holders by making them pay extra for a good friendly.

Kind of sad when you lay it out, especially point #1...

Pachuco
05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
To my mind the free ticket to the friendly is a bonus- I certainly don't keep my STs because it includes a friendly/ Nutrilite Cdn Championship. I keep it for the LEAGUE games.

If Real is coming- that is fabulous and will raise the profile of TFC across the country and around the world.
I would expect the club to give STHs first refusal on our regular seats. Would I expect to pay more than I do for a match against KC/ NY fizzy drinks? Fuck yeah. Do I expect to be gorged $70 up for a ticket in the South Stand, no.

Hopefully the prices will be fair given the opposition (who may field a reserve team anyway)

My tickets were $120 for last year's friendlies in 109. Believe me, that is more then enough money to go watch Real madrid's B team.

Phil
05-29-2009, 09:32 AM
So as it stands,

I dont know what the scheduling is like but this could have all been fixed if they moved the friendly to the Roger centre and put grass down

3. the 16,000 season ticket holders could use their friendly tickets for this friendly and the other 34,000 seats at the Roger Centre could be used to pay for the match

Make it happen!!!!!!!!

Man those are some really good points. We are sacrificing league games for international friendlies. All this so we can see the RM B squad.

Kickit09
05-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Ticket prices have also yet to be confirmed, although Toronto FC are said to be pursuing another opponent for a second exhibition game to fulfill their one-game commitment to season ticket holders, enabling the Real Madrid tickets to be sold at a premium, and not inclusive of season ticket packages.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=199&pictureid=1338

rocker
05-29-2009, 09:34 AM
am I the only one not particularly interested in this game if I have to pay extra for it?
I mean, Real Madrid is a huge club, but still .... it's a meaningless friendly, and they probably will save their best players for the Sunday game at DC, which will have a far bigger attendance.

I guess it all depends on price... but not sure if I care.

dupont
05-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm not paying a premium for this shit.
Nice to see they have no problems messing around with our regular season because they dont care how that goes compared to a friendly game.
I would have thought it is great news to bring a big club like Real Madrid here but not if it means just pushing around the regular season games in a way that inconveniences ticket holders and moves the game to a much worse time for TFC.

TFC07
05-29-2009, 10:11 AM
am I the only one not particularly interested in this game if I have to pay extra for it?
I mean, Real Madrid is a huge club, but still .... it's a meaningless friendly, and they probably will save their best players for the Sunday game at DC, which will have a far bigger attendance.

No. I am sure a lot of Toronto/GTA soccer fans outside of this forum are happy about this game.

H Bomb
05-29-2009, 10:13 AM
No. I am sure a lot of Toronto/GTA soccer fans outside of this forum are happy about this game.

you mean the ones that dont do anything for Canadian soccer or support their local team at all?

I agree, lets reward them!!!

tupalev
05-29-2009, 10:16 AM
If you are a season ticket holder, let your ticket reps know how you feel - besides holding back your cash for tickets and merch or something like that, this is the best way to provide direct feedback or protest something. I just had a good interesting chat with my rep - he obviously cannot confirm anything because this is all rumour/speculation right now, but reading between the lines of his responses he does not disagree with the issues being raised here and he will pass this stuff on (he has before).

Anyway, it is not much, but it is at least something productive we can do. My main argument to him was that these friendlies, if they are going to exist, should not be included at all in our STH package and price - just give us first refusal on the seats when the games are eventually announced and then you do not have all of this bullshit.

But because now we have all already paid for a game and MLSE has lucked out and brought in a HUGE team and thus want more money, we are going to see nothing but ill will and anger directed towards them. And I agree, on a morning when I should be thrilled to hear we are playing a world renowned club, I am instead pretty pissed off.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-29-2009, 10:17 AM

I am totally with you Rocker!

We have THREE fucking home games during the summer! This is ridiculous!

MLSE are really starting to show their colours here and don't give me the Real Madrid bullshit either! Its a friendly FFS! What about the league? What about the Champions League? What about just getting real grass?

Watch…the next thing you know the ST friendly will be a J League team or the like…its coming people…

scooter
05-29-2009, 10:17 AM
see i always knew you were on top of things hb
damn straight lets bend over somemore

TFC OZZ
05-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Unbelievable that they'd just add this game in, and not count it as the freindly that's already in the package. The fact that they have to bring in temporary real grass is laughable as far as I'm concerned, and just goes to show how hard it must be to secure the services of one of the World's top clubs. Maybe MLSE should realize, that building a seperate training facility with turf, and installing real grass at BMO should happen sooner than later if they want these teams to come; I don't know how it could have taken 3 seasons to figure that out... I'm just not happy at all about this, and there's not a chance in hell that we're going to sit in our season's seats in 123, I'm sure some other moron is more than happy to pay the jacked up price in an already really expensive section.

H Bomb
05-29-2009, 10:19 AM
see i always knew you were on top of things hb
damn straight lets bend over somemore

I'ma take out my anger tomorrow!

olegunnar
05-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Okay I'm as angry as anyone about this crap....but I was just wondering....

Do you think the success of this game could be used as leverage against the Joe Pantalone's of the world.

Kind of a "hey loser, accept our lakeshore proposal and we'll put grass in BMO and generate lots of revenue for you with these friendlies". "sure it's not an ideal location, but come on the price is right, and you won't get these kind of revenue generating games if there's turf at BMO".

pubboy
05-29-2009, 10:26 AM

It isnt free - the international friendly is included in your season ticket package (and price!). See previous thread and post from Paul.

Pachuco
05-29-2009, 10:33 AM
It isnt free - the international friendly is included in your season ticket package (and price!). See previous thread and post from Paul.

How anybody actually thinks you don't pay money for those friendlies is beyond me. Yeah right, MLSE putting on a international friendly with 0 revenue, give me a break.

OneLoveOneEric
05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
How anybody doesn't see this as a massive slap in the face is beyond me.
We are why the team is here. We buy the tickets to every game. We grin and bear it when they don't want to invest one red cent more than they have to in this team (DP? No. Grass? No.). Then they bring in a world class team and say "fuck you. Get in line if you want a ticket. The winners of the Latvian second division will play in the game you paid for."
For some reason people around here don't appreciate the consumer-vendor relationship, and feel like after paying money for something, we should also sit around and try to figure out how to make it worth more. This is instead of every other purchase you've made, during which you say you've taken my hard-earned money -- now how do I get the best value possible?
Like they've always done with the Leafs, MLSE are taking advantage of another captive audience. And they must laugh their asses off when people make their arguments for them. "We don't need friendlies anyway." or "a 20% ticket price hike is cool. The tickets were cheap to begin with".
Makes me sick.

Oldtimer
05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
I am totally with you Rocker!

We have THREE fucking home games during the summer! This is ridiculous!

Everyone seems to be forgetting the CONCACAF CL. If we get in, there will be extra games in July and August.

Sixteen teams will be drawn into eight two-leg series for the Preliminary Round that will be staged July 28-30 and August 4-6. The winners will then join the eight seeded teams and will be drawn into four, four team groups.

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4755

Toronto Ruffrider
05-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Real Madrid is a slam-dunk friendly opponent, but I'm not very interested in paying a premium on top of a premium for this match - the friendly included in the STH package is already a hefty premium over regular ticket prices. I understand the enormous costs involved in attracting a time like Real and installing natural grass at BMO, but friendlies just do not excite me the way competitive matches do.

Although I won't be attending this game, I hope it will be televised. More than anything, I'm curious to see natural grass at BMO. Hopefully the temp pitch will be a stepping stone on our way to a permanent installation.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Everyone seems to be forgetting the CONCACAF CL. If we get in, there will be extra games in July and August.

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4755

:drool5: oooooh I can't wait.

mastermixer
05-29-2009, 10:45 AM
this time might be the only time when i'm considering buying and scalping my tickets.

pubboy
05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
How anybody actually thinks you don't pay money for those friendlies is beyond me. Yeah right, MLSE putting on a international friendly with 0 revenue, give me a break.
exactly !
Even Paul B said so in one of his posts.

TFC07
05-29-2009, 10:57 AM
you mean the ones that dont do anything for Canadian soccer or support their local team at all?

I agree, lets reward them!!!

What is wrong with making money off of these glory hunters? :D

Okay I'm as angry as anyone about this crap....but I was just wondering....

Do you think the success of this game could be used as leverage against the Joe Pantalone's of the world.

Kind of a "hey loser, accept our lakeshore proposal and we'll put grass in BMO and generate lots of revenue for you with these friendlies". "sure it's not an ideal location, but come on the price is right, and you won't get these kind of revenue generating games if there's turf at BMO".

Good point.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-29-2009, 11:01 AM

Oh, I'm aware of that…but when I spent my money back in January I'm thinking "Summer Soccer …not only that its gonna cost me more!

MLSE=Cha-Ching!!!

Oldtimer
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh, I'm aware of that…but when I spent my money back in January I'm thinking "Summer Soccer …not only that its gonna cost me more!

MLSE=Cha-Ching!!!

You don't need to go.

Let the RM glory hunters subsidize our team.

Kooper
05-29-2009, 11:08 AM
My tickets were $120 for last year's friendlies in 109. Believe me, that is more then enough money to go watch Real madrid's B team.

B team if you are lucky. Real has a team as big as United and look at the squad they played last weekend against Hull.

dcdcdc
05-29-2009, 11:09 AM
TFC isnt a charity case, its a business and that comes first. if we want good and big things we have to pay for it. If we want something bush league, maybe paying 17 bucks a game will do it.

I think its awesome. If tickets are too expensive then don't go. No obligation.

I guarantee the players are excited about this opportunity

Kooper
05-29-2009, 11:09 AM
You don't need to go.

Let the RM glory hunters subsidize our team.

And my new TV. I have never resold my tickets at a profit but if MLSE is going to treat me like an ATM I might as well do the same to them.

Miko
05-29-2009, 11:20 AM
B team if you are lucky. Real has a team as big as United and look at the squad they played last weekend against Hull.

If you're really lucky as they play another friendly 2 days later in DC at a 90K stadium.

I think the B team will start and it will be C and D players by the second half.

DangerRed
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Screw this, I won't be going. Not only are they charging everyone premium for seeing Real's b-squad, they're also messing with our league and CONCACAF schedule both in June and August for the sake of this one game.

It's such bull. I just hope none of our guys gets hurt.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

Section 117
05-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Guys

This will be there preseaon trip, they never field their full squad. You will probably see half of the team. Depending on where they finish in La Liga they might have be in Champions League qualification so potentially we might see more of their stars not necessarily but not all of them.

Even if we see their b squad, the talent will be better than your average MLS squad who are we joking?

Kooper
05-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Even if we see their b squad, the talent will be better than your average MLS squad who are we joking?

Of course they will be better than what we see here but my grip about a possible extra charge is we are being charged Real Madrid calibre prices but watching West Ham calibre players.

Nuvinho
05-29-2009, 11:56 AM
half the dutch team plays for Real Madrid, I am looking forward to seeing some of them.

Kooper
05-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Make it happen!!!!!!!!

To play at the Sky Dome they would have to move a few more games. The Jays are home to the Orioles that weekend.

Stryker
05-29-2009, 11:58 AM
First the complaints were about how we'd probley get a 3rd rate team nobody would would wanna see. Then we're given a world class opponent AND GRASS and people whine about having to pay extra to see the match.
I guess it'll take MUFC and gold covered seats with free admission to make this lot happy.
Supporters indeed.

Bobo
05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
If only we had the sway to ensure NO tickets were sold for this game.

What IS feasible is supporters not buying tickets and gathering outside of the stadium. That would be sweet.

First the complaints were about how we'd probley get a 3rd rate team nobody would would wanna see. Then we're given a world class opponent AND GRASS and people whine about having to pay extra to see the match.
I guess it'll take MUFC and gold covered seats with free admission to make this lot happy.
Supporters indeed.

Isn't the grass for one game? Probably cause more problems than its worth.

Doesn't have anything to do with being a supporter.

Corpand
05-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Supporters indeed.

Promises or not, we got Real fuckin Madrid coming over to our shaky 20000 seater stadium during the summer. We can never have it "our" way, they dont set the friendlies up for shits and giggles, its to make money. Period.

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
First the complaints were about how we'd probley get a 3rd rate team nobody would wanna see. Then we're given world class opponent and people whine about having to pay extra to see the match.
Supporters indeed.

Joking, right? There are different camps on this. You'd know if you read up.

Most negative posts are people who don't want midseason friendlies in the first place.
Then there's people who don't want to pay extra and feel swindled.

I've seen no one post on the lack of quality of this friendly.

dcdcdc
05-29-2009, 12:11 PM
i don't know how TFC went wrong? They are still fulfilling their obligation to us STH's in providing the included friendly (some other team). Anything else, they can do what they want. They are giving us our 19 games. If they schedule 50 more friendlies, whats the problemÉ

Going to be a great match!!

Stryker
05-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Joking, right? There are different camps on this. You'd know if you read up.

Most negative posts are people who don't want midseason friendlies in the first place.
Then there's people who don't want to pay extra and feel swindled.

I've seen no one post on the lack of quality of this friendly.

There is more than one thread on the issue.
Perhaps it's you who should "read up".

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 12:14 PM
^I can see why you wouldn't sort through 19 pgs.:)

Was just trying to sum up. No diss.

and enjoy the game.

Brooker
05-29-2009, 12:17 PM
nice to know the game where we will finally have grass at BMO will be a game I won't be able to afford.

gotta love it.

Pachuco
05-29-2009, 12:20 PM
i don't know how TFC went wrong? They are still fulfilling their obligation to us STH's in providing the included friendly (some other team). Anything else, they can do what they want. They are giving us our 19 games. If they schedule 50 more friendlies, whats the problemÉ

What's the problem? the problem is we have a very small roster compared to other football teams around the world. So the problem is we'd have no option but to play starters. If we were going to play 50 friendlies, you could just about be guaranteed we'd have all our starters hurt.

1 extra friendly with the size of roster we have is ridicolous.

Oh, and I payed $120 for my ticket to this friendly, now all of a sudden, that's not enough money to cover Real Madrid's C team. Give me a break.

Bobo
05-29-2009, 12:21 PM

This is so wack I can't tell if its sarcasm...

Mikey
05-29-2009, 12:22 PM

This is the included friendly. They are pulling a bait and switch because they need to test exactly how much like the leaf fans TFC supporters are. Will they take it up the ass and pay money for a game they already had tickets for as part of their SSH package.

There was no "second friendly" planned until they decided to screw you all out of your paid for tickets for this one.....!

.J.B.
05-29-2009, 12:24 PM

Yup!!

Pachuco
05-29-2009, 12:25 PM
The same person who kinda broke the news about Real coming, is the same person that said the second friendly will be for charity. So what's this charity going to get if there are 16,000 tickets sold to the match already. Is MLSE screwing charities too? :)

JonO
05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
The same person who kinda broke the news about Real coming, is the same person that said the second friendly will be for charity. So what's this charity going to get if there are 16,000 tickets sold to the match already. Is MLSE screwing charities too? :)
He also recently said it appears that the charity match will not include TFC (but rather 2 internationals)

Pachuco
05-29-2009, 12:37 PM
He also recently said it appears that the charity match will not include TFC (but rather 2 internationals)

Ah ok, so I guess no Juve for the friendly if that's true. Maybe we'll get Boya Chico from Colombia. Yeah that would be great.

nfitz
05-29-2009, 12:38 PM
What's the problem? the problem is we have a very small roster compared to other football teams around the world. So the problem is we'd have no option but to play starters. If we were going to play 50 friendlies, you could just about be guaranteed we'd have all our starters hurt.

1 extra friendly with the size of roster we have is ridicolous. This is a problem if the game is crammed in mid-week. But this is not the case; the next game isn't for 8 days; and the previous one is 6 days. And the game that got moved, got moved to a gap in the schedule. I've spoken out in the past about not having friendlies when the schedule is clogged. But this is not the case here (I'm more concerned about rumoured July 22nd friendly ... but rumours haven't meant much so far).

Oh, and I payed $120 for my ticket to this friendly, now all of a sudden, that's not enough money to cover Real Madrid's C team. Give me a break.You might have Red seats, but most people don't, and didn't pay that much. A back of the envelope calculation, using an assumption that medium-grey is the median price would give about $850,000 of money from the ST packages. That pretty much pays for the grass ...

JonO
05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't know... I'm saving my vitriol for later, thanks. I said it in the other thread - life's to short to worry about things we don't even have the facts on.

Bobo
Boo tickets at premium. Yay Real Madrid!!! I hope they don't rape me too hard for tickets, I am a starving student and want to be able to go, but FUCKING AWESOME

Unless the prices are insane, I'm still going. Pretty weak that we'll still need to buy tickets, but you've got to pay for Madrid and grass somehow.

And this is why they do what they do.:rolleyes:

Mikey
I'm guessing after this screw up, there won't be any friendlies included in next years STH package......

Rochdale
05-29-2009, 12:40 PM
This is a problem if the game is crammed in mid-week. But this is not the case; the next game isn't for 8 days; and the previous one is 6 days. And the game that got moved, got moved to a gap in the schedule. I've spoken out in the past about not having friendlies when the schedule is clogged. But this is not the case here (I'm more concerned about rumoured July 22nd friendly ... but rumours haven't meant much so far).

You might have Red seats, but most people don't, and didn't pay that much. A back of the envelope calculation, using an assumption that medium-grey is the median price would give about $850,000 of money from the ST packages. That pretty much pays for the grass ...

l have people at work wanting my tickets. mmmmmmm l should be able to pay off my season tickets for next year.

Pachuco
05-29-2009, 12:41 PM
This is a problem if the game is crammed in mid-week. But this is not the case; the next game isn't for 8 days; and the previous one is 6 days. And the game that got moved, got moved to a gap in the schedule. I've spoken out in the past about not having friendlies when the schedule is clogged. But this is not the case here (I'm more concerned about rumoured July 22nd friendly ... but rumours haven't meant much so far).

You might have Red seats, but most people don't, and didn't pay that much. A back of the envelope calculation, using an assumption that medium-grey is the median price would give about $850,000 of money from the ST packages. That pretty much pays for the grass ...

I'm in 109. They aren't reds. And those seats were $120 bucks last year.

BFin
05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
lol Pauls never gonna here the end of this.

Also, the grass is only for one game?
Why wouldn't it be kept?!?!?

ilikemusic
05-29-2009, 01:32 PM
lol Pauls never gonna here the end of this.

Also, the grass is only for one game?
Why wouldn't it be kept?!?!?

Because it is temporary grass that probaly wont even hold up through the full 90 minutes.

sulfur
05-29-2009, 01:38 PM
It'll hold up for the 90. But not too much more.

And I say that based on the same grass being used elsewhere for the same kind of games put overtop of turf.

BFin
05-29-2009, 01:41 PM

And I say that based on the same grass being used elsewhere for the same kind of games put overtop of turf.
lol and I thought the tire track marks on the plastic pitch looked bad.
What an abomination this is going to be lol.
Aww well, nice to see a solid team coming in for a friendly.

ilikemusic
05-29-2009, 01:44 PM

The example I was thinking of was the 2008 Champions League fnial where they laid grass over top of the turf in Moscow.

I very much doubt MLSE knows something UEFA doesnt about how to maintain a grass pitch.

nascarguy
05-29-2009, 02:00 PM
The example I was thinking of was the 2008 Champions League fnial where they laid grass over top of the turf in Moscow.

I very much doubt MLSE knows something UEFA doesnt about how to maintain a grass pitch.
yeah they don't even know how to maintain fake grass.

Dbl_D
05-29-2009, 02:00 PM
l have people at work wanting my tickets. mmmmmmm l should be able to pay off my season tickets for next year.
great minds think alike ;) :hump:

Dirk Diggler
05-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Since this game isn't even included in the STH package, why is it not being held at Rogers Centre? I know the Jays are at home that day but it seems that Real are flexible it terms of scheduling ... I'm sure something could have been arranged.

Anyways, this is going to be great. I'm not pissed about this not being included in the STH package (unless of course the other friendly team turns out to be Burnley). I just wish the game was being held at Rogers Centre so I could have actually afforded the tickets. With only 20,000 seats available, I don't see myself paying attending the game.

Chevy
05-29-2009, 02:02 PM

Do we know if the season ticket holders will get first choice of tickets to the Real game?

colman1860
05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Why is everyone assuming this will be Real's B/C/D team? As far as I know (talked to some TFC office people about this once), there are contracts in place to ensure that certain players play at least a certain amount of time (+/- 75 minutes).

e.g. we got 89 minutes of Rui Costa when Tfc played Benfica.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-29-2009, 02:19 PM
DID i just read..this is not apart of the FRIENDLY season seat game.....Madrid will be sold at Priemium costs.....and they will add another game....for the SS SUCKERS at a further date!???

Nuvinho
05-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Do we know if the season ticket holders will get first choice of tickets to the Real game?

They better get. From the benefits page on TFC website:

Exclusive Access - We have special offers just for Season Seat Holders for Toronto FC matches, invites to our club's events and fundraisers, sweet opportunities to participate in match day activities from Toronto FC's corporate partners and discounts on Toronto FC merchandise at CentreSports and BMO Field.

OneLoveOneEric
05-29-2009, 02:32 PM
DID i just read..this is not apart of the FRIENDLY season seat game.....Madrid will be sold at Priemium costs.....and they will add another game....for the SS SUCKERS at a further date!???

Yes you did. My ass is so stretched out by now that I barely feel Tannenbaum and MLSE fucking me any more.

olegunnar
05-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes you did. My ass is so stretched out by now that I barely feel Tannenbaum and MLSE fucking me any more.

Pass the lube.

Seattle gets Barca and Chelski...included in their seasons ticket packages

http://www.soundersfc.com/Matchday/Schedule.aspx

Calvin
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Real Madrid just lost to Mallorca 3-1, we can do this!

bgnewf
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
So let me get this straight???

MLS changes a long scheduled league game because it has the chance to make some money by bringing Real Madrid to Toronto.

But last year when TFC had NINE SENIOR PLAYERS AWAY on international duty the league would not even consider changing the scheduling of that game against Chivas.

It is obvious that ML$ and ML$E only care about one thing, and that does not include the importance of having a competitive professionally run league. Forcing us to dress a coach and Rick Titus (Who ROCKS!!!) against Chivas last year, and now rescheduling this game just to bring in Madrid makes this league look like the bush league outfit it often appears to be.

Pachuco
05-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Pass the lube.

WOW. FUCK ME why am I stuck in a city with a piece of shit owner that owns all the teams I support? Oh, and Seattle has TURF as well.

Calvin
05-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Why is everyone assuming this will be Real's B/C/D team? As far as I know (talked to some TFC office people about this once), there are contracts in place to ensure that certain players play at least a certain amount of time (+/- 75 minutes).

e.g. we got 89 minutes of Rui Costa when Tfc played Benfica.

yeah real does not want to lose this game. its all about pride, respect and honour in the end. thats why they try to win la liga. it would make them look worse if they lost this game than if they lost to sayy barca.

olegunnar
05-29-2009, 02:51 PM
WOW. FUCK ME why am I stuck in a city with a piece of shit owner that owns all the teams I support? Oh, and Seattle has TURF as well.

That's okay

We should all be thankful and make sure to be extra super duper happy when our friendly game is against the Rochester Rhinos.

Also, we need to make sure the negative nellies don't over run the message board, so lets have an excuse making session at shoeless joes.

i've got some suggestions
we have turf
it's canada
MLSE is really busy
Teachers make too much money

I think we can start there....then if there's extra time we can talk about the Rollin with Ricketts scarfs we're going to order. They'll go really well with the Carver ones.

Oldtimer
05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Pass the lube.

They can roll back the upper deck and seat many more than our little SSS can.

CretanBull
05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm so disgusted on so many levels I can't even comment on this.

prizby
05-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I've known about this friendly for about 3 days (it was 95% confirmed to me)

Hi there Michael, Toronto FC take on Houston Dynamo on Rogers Sportsnet at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday night. Scroll down for more info on the game….
But first….news of a new date for the second of our two home games against the New York Red Bulls this season. The match was originally set for early August and has been brought forward to June 13th.
OLD DATE: Sunday, August 9th
NEW DATE: Saturday, June 13th at 8:00 p.m.
The match has been moved due to potential scheduling issues at BMO Field and will now be broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet.
MATCHDAY INFO
Toronto FC vs. Houston Dynamo
Saturday, May 30th, 8:30 p.m.
TV: Live on Rogers Sportsnet - Channel guide: Rogers 22, Rogers (Markham) 32, Bell 405, Star Choice 417, Cogeco 53.
RADIO: The FAN 590
WEB: Live match blog (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2993c1247872t2994o28451)
De Ro heads back to Houston for the first time since leaving to join the Reds! To watch his interview ahead of the match on Toronto FC TV, click here. (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2993c1247872t2994o30712)
The Dynamo started slowly this season but are now unbeaten in their last six games. For a full lowdown on the opposition, click here. (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2993c1247872t2994o30713)
// VIEWING PARTY
You could win an autographed jersey at this week’s viewing party! Head down to Jack Astor’s Scarborough (580 Progress Ave) to watch the game. More (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2993c1247872t2994o28765)
// OPEN PRACTICE
Tickets are now on public sale for Toronto FC’s second annual Open Practice, presented by Danone, on Saturday, June 20th at BMO Field. Tickets cost $6 and also get you grounds admission on to Ontario Place on June 20th! Call 416-360-GOAL. More (http://mlsefans.com/index.cfm?n35167s2993c1247872t2994o30714)
Toronto FC
// All For One

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-29-2009, 02:58 PM
my only beef is with the Ny start time...Real better not be a 8pm Ko come TFC/MLSE wake the f**k up

colman1860
05-29-2009, 02:58 PM
yeah real does not want to lose this game. its all about pride, respect and honour in the end. thats why they try to win la liga. it would make them look worse if they lost this game than if they lost to sayy barca.

Regardless of whether they want to win or not, MLSE will have ensured that they at least put players on the field that will make it look they they want to win.

ExiledRed
05-29-2009, 03:01 PM

You're not telling me that Real's players are going to take this more seriously than a match against Barca are you?

If they lose, the manager just says "Well, it's pre-season and I wanted to try out some of the young kids, and the Toronto team are in mid-season and the grass was this dead turf shit...blah blah blah."

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 03:06 PM
my only beef is with the Ny start time...Real better not be a 8pm Ko come TFC/MLSE wake the f**k up

Talk about missing the point.

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
I've known about this friendly for about 3 days (it was 95% confirmed to me)

[/font]

That doesn't make the situation any better.

loconet
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Boo! It's beer fest that day (along with sat,sun). Any word on kick off time? Game first then beer fest? Is 2PM start time asking for too much? lol.

Hmmm .. tough choice.

ExiledRed
05-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Again, tell us what time you need to catch your train.

I'm sure you haven't mentioned it before.

PAUL! PAUL!

Mighty needs to get back to Brantford, so no more 8pm starts. OK!?

TFC will fail if mighty has to hang around Toronto for a couple of hours.

CretanBull
05-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Talk about missing the point.

Fucking up my holiday schedule (I booked time off work to go away June 11th-14th knowing that I wouldn't miss a TFC game), ruining plans that I had to have friends come up from Cinncinati & NYC to watch the TFC/NYRB game together (flights and hotel rooms already booked), screwing over NYRB fans who have flights & hotel rooms book in Toronto & flights from Toronto to Mexico already booked, completely disrespecting season ticket holders....yeah, the real problem with this horseshit of a cash grab is the starting time of the game :rolleyes:

TFC Cityboy
05-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Fucking up my holiday schedule (I booked time off work to go away June 11th-14th knowing that I wouldn't miss a TFC game), ruining plans that I had to have friends come up from Cinncinati & NYC to watch the TFC/NYRB game together (flights and hotel rooms already booked), screwing over NYRB fans who have flights & hotel rooms book in Toronto & flights from Toronto to Mexico already booked, completely disrespecting season ticket holders....yeah, the real problem with this horseshit of a cash grab is the starting time of the game :rolleyes:
Valid points - it's bad enough in England when a match gets moved 24 hours for SKY TV, but moving a game by 2 months for a friendly is taking the piss- aside from all the other arguments put forward here.

Section 117
05-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey Guys

I am not Red Patch Boy, part of Uscetor or any other group. I support my team and I like to see what the supporters think as many of my friends don't like MLS soccer. So here is my question:

Why is everyone so upset for??? If you don't want to spend the money don't go. This team was not made for us fans, it is here to make money. If you think other wise then you are clearly living in a fantasy world.

As much as we all love TFC it has never been about us and never will. The quicker we all come to grips with it the better we are all off. I will give you another example I have seats in 117 why do two beers cost almost as much as my ticket??? It's about $$$$$$.

Sorry if I upset anyone, but I need to get this off my chest.

CretanBull
05-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Why is everyone so upset for???

Fucking up my holiday schedule (I booked time off work to go away June 11th-14th knowing that I wouldn't miss a TFC game), ruining plans that I had to have friends come up from Cinncinati & NYC to watch the TFC/NYRB game together (flights and hotel rooms already booked), screwing over NYRB fans who have flights & hotel rooms book in Toronto & flights from Toronto to Mexico already booked, completely disrespecting season ticket holders....

No one is expecting the team to not make money, no one expects the team to bend over backwards to appease us, no one thinks that the team is for us...but it's not unreasonable to expect a professional club to act professionally.

Richard D
05-29-2009, 04:07 PM
No doubt about it, asking season ticket holders to pay for this game is the final straw for me...

werewolf
05-29-2009, 04:08 PM
You know its bad when Richard D makes a rare appearance :flare:

OneLoveOneEric
05-29-2009, 04:48 PM
My letter to the FO and to MLSE is in the mail.
This is sickening.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Hey Guys

I am not Red Patch Boy, part of Uscetor or any other group. I support my team and I like to see what the supporters think as many of my friends don't like MLS soccer. So here is my question:

Why is everyone so upset for??? If you don't want to spend the money don't go. This team was not made for us fans, it is here to make money. If you think other wise then you are clearly living in a fantasy world.

As much as we all love TFC it has never been about us and never will. The quicker we all come to grips with it the better we are all off. I will give you another example I have seats in 117 why do two beers cost almost as much as my ticket??? It's about $$$$$$.

im pissed the NY game is now an 8pm ko which totally bites...it means leaving a TFC game early again..this is bullshit!! NYRB fans were looking forward to thier first vist to TO and they get screwed...uts like a hooker convention...everyones getting screwed here..:(

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Again, tell us what time you need to catch your train.

I'm sure you haven't mentioned it before.

PAUL! PAUL!

Mighty needs to get back to Brantford, so no more 8pm starts. OK!?

TFC will fail if mighty has to hang around Toronto for a couple of hours.

it would be more like..12-13 hrs...just FYI...

Waggy
05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey Guys

Completely agree. Its an off schedule friendly. Should they offer first run of tickets at the usual rate to seasons holders? Absolutely. But its not the fucking end of the world. If you aren't interested in going, don't go! If its too much money for you (like it probably will be for me), dont go! If you think the quality of the team Real will play is too bad, DON'T GO! Stop bitching on a message board, speak with your asses (or feet). DON'T GO! But for fucks sake, this is a great opportunity for TFC to get some exposure and make some contacts. Remember how Vitti came? Getting contacts in La Liga would NOT be a bad thing ever.

Jack
05-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey Guys

Football is about more than money. This sport is and always has been for the people, even with the richest teams. Just look at Barcelona's recent celebrations and look at how they embrace their supporters at every turn. The supporters vote for the next president of the club. Football is about the people who are behind the team week in and week out. The team that represents your city, the team that represents your pride and joy and honour. The team that you support with your heart and soul. TFC management don't get it either. They think they do because they have had great and passionate support fall in their lap, but they don't.

Football teams are ALWAYS about their support. Ask the players. Ask anyone who has been involved in football around the world what the support means, moreso than in any other sport.

Without the support, a football team is nothing.

This whole situation doesn't even make me angry.

It makes me sad and disappointed.

King Jeff
05-29-2009, 05:01 PM
And this is why they do what they do.:rolleyes:

Spare me the eye rolling.

Yes, it's a cash grab, but I'd rather pay $70-80 to see Real Madrid once than the usual $35 I pay to watch MLS teams I don't care about week-in and week-out. I know that's not exactly a popular viewpoint here but so what? Ten years from now, I'm going to remember the TFC Madrid game. I sure as hell won't remember some 1-1 against New York or Colorado or whoever else.

If the tickets are insanely priced, I won't go. If they're not, I will. Period.

Waggy
05-29-2009, 05:01 PM
This is about more than money. This sport is and always has been for the people, even with the richest teams. Just look at Barcelona's recent celebrations and look at how they embrace their supporters at every turn. The supporters vote for the next president of the club. Football is about the people who are behind the team week in and week out. The team that represents your city, the team that represents your pride and joy and honour. The team that you support with your heart and soul. They don't get it either. They think they do because they have had great and passionate support fall in their lap, but they don't.

Football teams are ALWAYS about their support. Ask the players. Ask anyone who has been involved in football around the world what the support means, moreso than in any other sport.

I had this argument with my friend the other day about fouls in basketball. Theres a big difference in the way things "Should be", and the way things are. I agree, thats how it SHOULD be run. Thats how all football teams, and all sports teams in general should be run. But thats NOT the way North American sports work, and its certainly NOT the way MLSE works. Why would anyone expect MLSE to act in any way different then MLSE always does? It SHOULD, but it doesn't. Expecting them to is unreasonable. It is what it is, a money maker for the Teachers. Not to say we aren't important, or they aren't interested in winning, but at the end of the day, we know whats up ($$$)

Jack
05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
I had this argument with my friend the other day about fouls in basketball. Theres a big difference in the way things "Should be", and the way things are. I agree, thats how it SHOULD be run. Thats how all football teams, and all sports teams in general should be run. But thats NOT the way North American sports work, and its certainly NOT the way MLSE works. Why would anyone expect MLSE to act in any way different then MLSE always does? It SHOULD, but it doesn't. Expecting them to is unreasonable. It is what it is, a money maker for the Teachers. Not to say we aren't important, or they aren't interested in winning, but at the end of the day, we know whats up ($$$)
Not true.

The reason why we expected them to run it that way is because they did at the start when they needed the supporters. Notice how everything for the first two seasons was always about "atmosphere" and "great support".

They took that for granted. Because TFC management has had a certain amount of autonomy to run things. That's why I expected that. It's not unreasonable, it was actually happening, but they've gotten away from it.

Waggy
05-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Not true.

The reason why we expected them to run it that way is because they did at the start when they needed the supporters. Notice how everything for the first two seasons was always about "atmosphere" and "great support".

They took that for granted. Because TFC management has had a certain amount of autonomy to run things. That's why I expected that. It's not unreasonable, it was actually happening, but they've gotten away from it.

Yes and no. MLSE always go for their median fan. And at first, there were diehards, there were general soccer fans, and there was everyone else. The diehards getting on board was the most important, then the casual soccer fan, then everyone else. But the plan has to have obviously been to move from the diehards, to the casual fan, then on to everyone. To do that, the focus has to shift from doing whats best for us (the serious supporters), to the people who don't regularly buy tickets/make road trips/buy merchendise. The whole point of friendlies like this is to attract people down to the game who wouldn't have come normally. I disagree with it, but if thats the intention, then why sell to their existing fans? The point is to grow that base. Its not best for us, right now, but its best for the club, and best for us long term if a few people in that crowd who only came out to see Real go "Huh, this isn't all that bad", and start watching then supporting TFC.

*heh, got Barca on teh brain still lol

Edit part 2: Also, I personally would rather see them thank me for my support with grass and a or DP then with a friendly anyways. Or with some silver haha

Jack
05-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Yes and no. MLSE always go for their median fan. And at first, there were diehards, there were general soccer fans, and there was everyone else. The diehards getting on board was the most important, then the casual soccer fan, then everyone else. But the plan has to have obviously been to move from the diehards, to the casual fan, then on to everyone. To do that, the focus has to shift from doing whats best for us (the serious supporters), to the people who don't regularly buy tickets/make road trips/buy merchendise. The whole point of friendlies like this is to attract people down to the game who wouldn't have come normally. I disagree with it, but if thats the intention, then why sell to their existing fans? The point is to grow that base. Its not best for us, right now, but its best for the club, and best for us long term if a few people in that crowd who only came out to see Real go "Huh, this isn't all that bad", and start watching then supporting TFC.

*heh, got Barca on teh brain still lol

We should talk about this in person. There are a lot of things you might not know about what has gone on in the past three years.

Waggy
05-29-2009, 05:17 PM
We should talk about this in person. There are a lot of things you might not know about what has gone on in the past three years.

Oh ya? Ok well thats a whole other story. You're right, I really don't know the ins and outs of what they've been up to. Just thinking of what I would do from their point of view. If I can find tix to the galaxy game I'll find you before the match, otherwise before the shitebulls. I'm real curious about that

Jack
05-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh ya? Ok well thats a whole other story. You're right, I really don't know the ins and outs of what they've been up to. Just thinking of what I would do from their point of view. If I can find tix to the galaxy game I'll find you before the match, otherwise before the shitebulls. I'm real curious about that
Definitely worth talking over a pint or two :D

I'm not against them selling footy, don't get me wrong. Getting Madrid in is a big move. But the way that it's going down seems to indicate that, once again, the supporter gets screwed. The other thing that bugs me is that people are willing to shrug stuff off and say "we can't change it, so let's not do anything" which is plain not true. If enough people would actually act and do something, things would change (or actually, would stop changing, in this case)

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I can't believe some are fluffing it off like this is nothing. Give it some time and think about it. I did, and realized what BS this is. They just moved a match on the regular season schedules to a date 2 months earlier, simply to allow for a cash grab friendly. Where else do owners get away with this shit? They changed the schedule like I would for an Adult rec league.

And of course its about money. Most clubs are these days.

Waggy
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Definitely worth talking over a pint or two :D

I'm not against them selling footy, don't get me wrong. Getting Madrid in is a big move. But the way that it's going down seems to indicate that, once again, the supporter gets screwed. The other thing that bugs me is that people are willing to shrug stuff off and say "we can't change it, so let's not do anything" which is plain not true. If enough people would actually act and do something, things would change (or actually, would stop changing, in this case)

Fair enough, fair enough. So then what actions should be taken in this case though? I mean, ultimately like I said before, the strongest statement we can make is with our feet/asses and not go. But if we aren't able to anyways, its not exactly the impact of the empty south end. just a quieter one. which is a real shame to me. I'd love to see us make a REAL good impression on Real and who-ever else may be watching. We'd be the ones really on display in a match like this.

Barth Bagge
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
You got to hand it to ML$E. They seem to find new and innovative ways to screw the fans. A job well done.

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Seeing the posts from the New York Supporters did it for me. Hotels, and flights booked for nothing now.

Waggy
05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
I can't believe some are fluffing it off like this is nothing. Give it some time and think about it. I did, and realized what BS this is. They just moved a match on the regular season schedules to a date 2 months earlier, simply to allow for a cash grab friendly. Where else do owners get away with this shit? They changed the schedule like I would for an Adult rec league.

And of course its about money. Most clubs are these days.

2 months is a long time, but its not unheard of. There are rain delayed games in baseball that get played MONTHS later. The raptors had a few start times changed for various problems. Its not like they did it for no reason, at least its a good reason. Ultimately they added a game to the calander that wasn't there before. I know it screws some schedules, and is a real pain in the ass, but for all we know there could be a raging thunderstorm on the 8th anyways. Then what'd happen? (actually a serious question that to my knowledge hasn't come up yet, what is the standard MLS plan if theres serious lightening or something an a game has to be called?)

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 05:37 PM
2 months is a long time, but its not unheard of. There are rain delayed games in baseball that get played MONTHS later. The raptors had a few start times changed for various problems. Its not like they did it for no reason, at least its a good reason. Ultimately they added a game to the calander that wasn't there before. I know it screws some schedules, and is a real pain in the ass, but for all we know there could be a raging thunderstorm on the 8th anyways. Then what'd happen? (actually a serious question that to my knowledge hasn't come up yet, what is the standard MLS plan if theres serious lightening or something an a game has to be called?)

They delay baseball games to a LATER date because they can't physically play them.

Teams/Leagues alter START TIMES, sometimes for TV reasons or otherwise.

Both of these do not compare to this. Good reason? We are in the busiest time of the season. The last thing we need is another league game, that wasn't there before. All for a BS money grab later on.

Waggy
05-29-2009, 05:46 PM
They delay baseball games to a LATER date because they can't physically play them.

Teams/Leagues alter START TIMES, sometimes for TV reasons or otherwise.

Both of these do not compare to this. Good reason? We are in the busiest time of the season. The last thing we need is another league game, that wasn't there before. All for a BS money grab later on.

I don't disagree, but what do you think the reaction would have been had we found out in a month that TFC turned down a chance to play Real Madrid? Nothing against the clubs we've played in the past but thats a whole diffent ballgame. I bet everyone would be screaming either MLSE is too cheap to pay for quality friendlies, how are we going to improve/get exposure unless we play big clubs, or fucking MLS wouldn't let us move ONE game so we could play Madrid! We can't have it both ways. Big clubs opperate at the last minute, its regretable, and yes it does appear to be bush league, but its still better than the alternative

Rudi
05-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Notice how everything for the first two seasons was always about "atmosphere" and "great support".
That's because marketing an 8-game goal drought is bad for business. :p

GBV
05-29-2009, 05:51 PM
this whole thing ... what a gong show. beyond bush league.

GBV
05-29-2009, 05:52 PM

that's the only thing i'm excited aboot.
saturday nighter and the only one of the year.

menefreghista
05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
that's the only thing i'm excited aboot.
saturday nighter and the only one of the year.

Apparently MLSE must set its schedule based on one guy living in Brantford. :rolleyes:

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't disagree, but what do you think the reaction would have been had we found out in a month that TFC turned down a chance to play Real Madrid? Nothing against the clubs we've played in the past but thats a whole diffent ballgame. I bet everyone would be screaming either MLSE is too cheap to pay for quality friendlies, how are we going to improve/get exposure unless we play big clubs, or fucking MLS wouldn't let us move ONE game so we could play Madrid! We can't have it both ways. Big clubs opperate at the last minute, its regretable, and yes it does appear to be bush league, but its still better than the alternative

IF this game was worked into the schedule I would be fine with it. I understand what these friendlies are about. If you want to pony up the cash great, go ahead! No skin off of my ass. But the fact they decided to move a regular season match is what pisses me off.

And if they decided to not have the friendly against Real Merda because this was the only option (remember there is another friendly included in our STH package) I would have alot of respect for that. of course people would be angry, but thats the same as everything around here.

GBV
05-29-2009, 05:57 PM
^ yeah. the success of toronto fc has hugely exceeded original expectations.
so owners know they can get away with shit. and they are.

twenty per cent increase in season-ticket prices two years in a row?
sure. why not?
no DP?
meh. what fer?
shuffle the team's schedule for a friendly ... and put in grass for it.
heck, of course!

more to come from these parts i'm sure . . .

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 05:58 PM
^ yeah. the success of toronto fc has hugely exceeded original expectations.
so owners know they can get away with shit. and they are.

it's gravy city over there.

yep. See Jack's posts.

ensco
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Give MLSE some credit here. We haven't heard from them yet. I don't believe MLSE will charge the supporter top dollar. They will charge you your regular price. They have to.

It'll be a saw off - they get some extra revenue from the SSH, but only the non-SSH pays the big prices.

Anyone who has been on ticket trader knows the demand for tickets is falling, a lot, this year. MLSE are not dumb. They won't piss people off that blatantly.

Just my humble opinion.

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Give MLSE some credit here. We haven't heard from them yet. I don't believe MLSE will charge the supporter top dollar. They will charge you your regular price. They have to.

It'll be a saw off - they get some extra revenue from the SSH, but only the non-SSH pays the big prices.

Anyone who has been on ticket trader knows the demand for tickets is falling, a lot, this year. MLSE are not dumb. They won't piss people off that blatantly.

Just my humble opinion.

That depends on the fee they are paying Real Merda to show up.

ensco
05-29-2009, 06:17 PM
That depends on the fee they are paying Real Merda to show up.

Oh for sure. They have their economics to consider. It depends on a bunch of things.

But they're not stupid enough to try to hose their ticket base.

Are they?

AL-MO
05-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Oh for sure. They have their economics to consider. It depends on a bunch of things.

But they're not stupid enough to try to hose their ticket base.

Are they?

You may be right. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you give them too much credit! :(

Toronto_Bhoy
05-29-2009, 06:29 PM
This is about more than money. This sport is and always has been for the people, even with the richest teams. Just look at Barcelona's recent celebrations and look at how they embrace their supporters at every turn. The supporters vote for the next president of the club. Football is about the people who are behind the team week in and week out. The team that represents your city, the team that represents your pride and joy and honour. The team that you support with your heart and soul. TFC management don't get it either. They think they do because they have had great and passionate support fall in their lap, but they don't.

This whole situation doesn't even make me angry.

It makes me sad and disappointed.

Sorry Jack…with all due respect…you are naive in thinkig this is anything more than a cash grab…this is MLSE your talking about…everything is the bottom line…everything…

Football support and culture is foreign to these people…

The history doesn't lie…

Jack
05-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Sorry Jack…with all due respect…you are naive in thinkig this is anything more than a cash grab…this is MLSE your talking about…everything is the bottom line…everything…

The history doesn't lie…
Brian, that's my point. Maybe I didn't word it well enough.

Football is about more than this and TFC management don't get it. They are only out for money.

elvis
05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Maybe I'm too cynical but is it really? I mean we WANT it to be but is anything more than a cash grab in sports?

I could be wrong and I mean no disrespect at all.

Jack
05-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Then why do we do what we do?

Beach_Red
05-29-2009, 07:28 PM

The history doesn't lie…

Well, it's a marketing ploy, at the very least, that they understand.

But don't expect MLSE (or even guys like me) to understand this "football culture," it's not our culture, it's not our history. As someone pointed out on here, in Europe you have clubs, we have franchises.

In American sports history the kind of culture you're talking about applies to college teams. The pros have always been a business, from the very first baseball teams after the Civil War. Professional teams here have always had owners, they've never been "of the people." No matter how much people claim they once were.

So, we can hate MLSE for lots of reasons, but we probably shouldn't expect them to understand and apply a foreign culture to a North American model.

From the beginning of TFC we've been told there are lots of soccer fans here who aren't interested in MLS. This kind of thing is an attempt to get some of those people out and at least TFC will also be playing. Maybe they'll win over a few converts. Or a couple. Or maybe one guy.... ;)

Pigfynn
05-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm disappointed, but I will never believe that it matters what MLSE thinks or believes in. This club IS the supporters' regardless of what the owners think. They might sell the team one day and we'll still be here. If anything they are facilitators at best...they bring the elements together that already exist and have existed for a very long time.

The club is more than this and some money grubbing executives don't have to "get it" for me to know that it's mine.

Jack
05-29-2009, 07:30 PM
The thing is, Beach, that they have carried on like it was different for the past two years when they needed the supporters to help them get off the ground, but now they're reverting to type.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

bigsteve
05-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I find it hilarious how everyone complains about all that MLSE has done this friendly all bases on a Globe and mail article (just taken from Steve Goff at Washington Post).. I have heard all kinds of BS about the friendlies

1. Paul B stating it was Cagliari or a South American team ..
2. It was July 22
3. Real Madrid at Rogers Centre
4. This Friendly is part of the season ticket holder package or not part of the package

WTF? the last time I checked it not even official yet...One guy wrote an article in the Globe and Mail.

Maybe we shlould be more concerned with other MLS supporters on other forums berating the choice of Toronto for such a big club

Maybe we should berate Steve Goff for down playing the Toronto match for the SH%$TY confines of FED EX FIELD and how some how the "b" squad will only play in Toronto..Who is he Florentino Perzes nephew?..wasnt last year only half of FEDEX sold for there Friendly with Chelsea

I do agree it will be bad on the part of MLSE to charge season tickets holders above and beyond the price already paid up front. Just dont buy the ticket but please wait till its official..The DC United Match is not even on Real Madrid website yet!!!

However if they move the game to SKYDOME other people wont be happy

Thinkof it as a time to showcase the Supporters Section to a World Wide TV audience

Jack
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Who cares what other MLS supporters on other forums think?

I'm disappointed, but I will never believe that it matters what MLSE thinks or believes in. This club IS the supporters' regardless of what the owners think. They might sell the team one day and we'll still be here. If anything they are facilitators at best...they bring the elements together that already exist and have existed for a very long time.

The club is more than this and some money grubbing executives don't have to "get it" for me to know that it's mine.

Well said, Pigfynn

Beach_Red
05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
The thing is, Beach, that they have carried on like it was different for the past two years when they needed the supporters to help them get off the ground, but now they're reverting to type.

No, you shouldn't be surprised, but you shouldn't give up too easily, either. Look, you're up against an ingrained culture like anywhere else in the world, change is always slow.

But "they" really are a lot of people and some of them have figured out that working with the supporters is a good idea. As frustrating as it is, I hope you keep working with them. TFC is only going to get bigger and a more important part of MLSE and as it does those people may gain more influence in the corporate structure.

Besides, MLS is a one-entity league, isn't it? Are we sure MLSE had any say in this at all? It seems unlikely the NY FO would have gone along with this if they had any say.

rocker
05-29-2009, 07:36 PM
WTF? the last time I checked it not even official yet...One guy wrote an article in the Globe and Mail.

True... people on this board and other boards are talking about certain things as "fact" when, in fact, TFC has made zero announcements about the subject. The only thing we know is the NY game got moved.

We should probably step back and wait and see what actually happens. It would be funny if it turned out the game was included in the season tickets... the NY game still moved, but that would negate many of the criticisms.
But I guess if it's all true, people have a head start!

Jack
05-29-2009, 07:42 PM
The silence from Paul is deafening.

FluSH
05-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Like I said in the other thread... if you aren't going please give me your first right of refusal. There are some relatives and family friends that would love to see this game.

Thank You

olegunnar
05-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I find it hilarious how everyone complains about all that MLSE has done this friendly all bases on a Globe and mail article (just taken from Steve Goff at Washington Post).. I have heard all kinds of BS about the friendlies

2. It was July 22
4. This Friendly is part of the season ticket holder package or not part of the package

Maybe we shlould be more concerned with other MLS supporters on other forums berating the choice of Toronto for such a big club

Maybe we should berate Steve Goff for down playing the Toronto match for the SH%$TY confines of FED EX FIELD and how some how the "b" squad will only play in Toronto..Who is he Florentino Perzes nephew?..wasnt last year only half of FEDEX sold for there Friendly with Chelsea

I do agree it will be bad on the part of MLSE to charge season tickets holders above and beyond the price already paid up front. Just dont buy the ticket but please wait till its official..The DC United Match is not even on Real Madrid website yet!!!

Thinkof it as a time to showcase the Supporters Section to a World Wide TV audience

Do you have more info you'd like to share?

You seem to have just shown up in time to comment on this topic and only this topic.

elvis
05-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Then why do we do what we do?

Why do I sing and cheer at games? Why do I support the team? Because I love the game and it gives me 2 hours away from work and life.

I know full well going in who owns the team and what they are likely to do in the long run - unless I'm running the team, I'm not going to be 100% satisfied.

I don't think we do what we do because we get props from management or a place to store banners. We do what we do because we love the team.

I think this makes sense...

bigsteve
05-29-2009, 07:58 PM
that is correct I have only posted on this Topic "the friendly"...several threads but same topic...I dont have any info other than what is posted...I guess my whole point is nothing is official yet..just wait and see obviously no one will always be happy..

I have heard of this match for a long time and would like to see RM but I do understand on how ST holders will be upset if they are made to pay extra...I just think its specualtion on one report in THE GLOBE ..if you notice TSN.ca and all reports today on THE FAN590 all just qouted the Globe and mail article

nascarguy
05-29-2009, 07:59 PM
You got to hand it to ML$E. They seem to find new and innovative ways to screw the fans. A job well done.
they have been doing this to there leafs fans for along time and I do not care if mlse seen this.

you do not piss off your out a town support or there find a closer team to thow there money.

DOMIN8R
05-29-2009, 08:00 PM

2. It was July 22

I think few would argue that the message could have been better managed. This is an MBA case study in the making. :p

Perhaps, the rush to judgement should be tempered. There is some wisdom here.;)

drewski
05-29-2009, 08:01 PM
fuckity fuck fuck

my g/f's sister is getting married that night.

Jack
05-29-2009, 08:03 PM
I think few would argue that the message could have been better managed. This is an MBA case study in the making. :p

Perhaps, the rush to judgement should be tempered. There is some wisdom here.;)
Passionate people.

TFC has marketed our passion, but there are two sides to it.

brad
05-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Honestly, I've seen the writing on the wall since they started cracking down all over the rest of stadium this year.

Keep the circus animals caged in the corner to put on a show, but don't let any of that out around the rest of folks that want a nice day out in the sun.

It will come to the supporters sections eventually. As soon as they can sell those seats for 3 or 4 times the price to people that want an ACC experience, it's game over.

drewski
05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Honestly, I've seen the writing on the wall since they started cracking down all over the rest of stadium this year.

Keep the circus animals caged in the corner to put on a show, but don't let any of that out around the rest of folks that want a nice day out in the sun.

It will come to the supporters sections eventually. As soon as they can sell those seats for 3 or 4 times the price to people that want an ACC experience, it's game over.

i don't think that'll be anytime soon. the newness is wearing off, tickets are easier to get this year, and any leaf like demand won't come until after years of consistent winning and multiple championships

bigsteve
I dont mean to say my opinion is the only one..I came on board a few days ago because I do have a little inside info..thru the company that holds certian teams US friendly toruing rights...i wont get into it at all..

But we all know that with all football matches and TV rights etc ... nothing is done till its done...like I said earlier even the DC UNITED match has not been reported on Real Madrid website yet either

I was present when Paul B said Caglaira a few weeks ago and laughed out loud..that was kinda funny and then I ordered Calamari at Shoeless Joes after to celebarte

One interesting rumour is that it was MLS and not MLSE who spear headed this whole thing for REAL to play DC and TFC..supposedly they are tired od outside outfits bringing team to North AMerica and them not seeing any benefits..I think the Chelsea AC milan etc matches on ESPN this summer may have irked them

Jack

I want to say this is an exaggeration. I want to. But I don't know if I can.

RedMAN127
05-29-2009, 08:14 PM
But we all know that with all football matches and TV rights etc ... nothing is done till its done...like I said earlier even the DC UNITED match has not been reported on Real Madrid website yet either

Moving the NYRB match seems to make this a pretty sure bet, doesn't it?

Are MLSE running out of time to secure another friendly?

RedMAN127
05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
i don't think that'll be anytime soon. the newness is wearing off, tickets are easier to get this year, and any leaf like demand won't come until after years of consistent winning and multiple championships

Tickets are seeming pretty scarce .. Ticket Exchange and Ticket Trader have dried up with the nice weather, try and find a ticket to LA with top name players not even playing.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Regardless of whether they want to win or not, MLSE will have ensured that they at least put players on the field that will make it look they they want to win.

TFC will demand to the biggest* club in the world, what?

TFC have already caved to real turf (something they wouldn't do for there own players or supporters) and a huge appearance fee which means STH get fucked out of their "international" friendly and are forced to "premium" pricing...and TFC are demanding what..."we'll dictate who you'll play"?

Please...

*argue away...

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-29-2009, 08:37 PM
When Celtic played at the dome a few years back to sit along the lines was about $150..expect the same prices...supporters section...about $90-100..BMo should be less expensive as TFC are the tenants and not paying Dome fees...come on TFC keep it reasonable.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Like I said in the other thread... if you aren't going please give me your first right of refusal. There are some relatives and family friends that would love to see this game.

Thank You

Screw 'em Flush (nothing personal of course;))...what about the supporters on this board that have supported this team from day one!

Biggest game in our history and "sorry your not included unless you pony up...again..."

With Real Madrid or Man U or Juve or Celtic its nothing more than a cash grab unless you include those who have been there from the start! Its a slap in the face!

This game will be a sell out...without the ones who ensure every MLS game is sold out!

Roogsy
05-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Semantics. TFC got Real coming here. End of.
Be a man and a person of your word.

It's nice how you selectively pick out what suits you just to make me look bad.

Anyone can look through that thread and realize the entire first part of the thread dealt with the JULY 22 INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY.

This is not semantics. This is about the facts of the discussion. I have tickets to that game. I will probably be at that game. And if that game turns out to be Real Madrid...direct me to La Vie en Rose and i will pick something out nice and lacey. But if it's not Real Madrid...then no, my promise does not apply because I never claimed Real Madrid was never going to come, I claimed the friendly WE WERE DISCUSSING was definitely not going to be Real Madrid. I knew it because of the numbers and they didn't add up. Of course the numbers add up now...TFC decided to have a brain fart and added a game.

Did ANYONE here claim that there was going to be a second friendly? If they did...I'd like to see that post in that thread.

But until it is officially announced that Real Madrid is playing Toronto FC in the July 22 friendly that is included in our package...your hard-on to see me in a bra will have to wait.

Or you can buy me a ticket to the Real Madrid game. For a $200 ticket...I'll wear a bra just to make you pay.

Oh and a little proof of what I am claiming. Here is not 10 posts before my statement:

July 22. Not the original euro club I had sourced. It was... Mentioned in this thread.

And that does not include several posts on the same page talking about July 22 as well.

greatwhitenorf
05-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah, don't wanna hear any whibbling, whining or kvetching about the price. Lie Down, you Lambs. It's Real Imperial Aerosol Madrid. Kid.

Can't afford it, tough. They'll just fill the joint ten time over with folks who can. Could be Ribery's debut for them, maybe Tevez or that showpony twat Ronaldo. Whatever. Love it.

And if it means a grass pitch going forward, even better.

FluSH
05-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Why do I sing and cheer at games? Why do I support the team? Because I love the game and it gives me 2 hours away from work and life.

I know full well going in who owns the team and what they are likely to do in the long run - unless I'm running the team, I'm not going to be 100% satisfied.

I don't think we do what we do because we get props from management or a place to store banners. We do what we do because we love the team.

I think this makes sense...

Very well said... I never looked at management as one of us... it's been more of a truce relationship... We are supporters, but what about the Red Seats who stuck through this team playing mediocre soccer for 2 seasons? and they have been spending thousands of dollars... They supported with their wallets... we supported with our voices as the 12th man.

Let the wallets and anyone who want to watch this promotional game help the Toronto FC warchest... and let's pray that this warchest is used for the things we want... grass, D.P., maybe even both 0.o

wzhxvy
05-29-2009, 10:13 PM
I am sorry just came back from a business trip to find this out and have not read the whole thread....I am a bit surprised, especialluy given the fact that TFC have not used the Edu money and now they do this.

And now...they want a premium...news flash, you were raping us by 100% on the first friendly but evidently that was not enough.

I mean a part of me is good for them, bring in a big team and build the team brand. Fantastic. But these fools, do not know how to show appreciation for your STHs or your fans.

CretanBull
05-29-2009, 10:38 PM
If this shit happened in Europe or South America there would be riots and fires. They do it here and we'll complain, then get in line to buy our tickets.

TFC247
05-29-2009, 11:04 PM
If this shit happened in Europe or South America there would be riots and fires.

Who's stopping you?

CretanBull
05-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Who's stopping you?

Rather, who's joining me?

Sonny Cheeba
05-30-2009, 01:28 AM
whatever. i feel snubbed, but at least they're going to be playing on real grass. people who aren't season ticket holders will hopefully have a fair chance at seats..... but no doubt the scalpers will be all over this bitch.

if i was a rayal supporter and a tfc season ticket holder i'd be pissed, but i'm not so fuck it.

a.ungaro
05-30-2009, 01:36 AM
^hah t

denime
05-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Someone screw TFC FO big time with this news.

I think MLSE wanted to announce the other game first(July 22.), and then lay Real Madrid on STH as an added bonus.

If everything worked out that way,we would be singing here from happiness,because we can watch Real Madrid on Real Grass.
Since RM game leaked out before first game was announced,we all feel very disappointed and pissed off.

Maybe we should wait a day or two and see what TFC FO has to offer as our first Int.game and see how much they will ask us to bleed for RM tickets before we have heart attacks in front of our PCs.
If they come out with decent opponent and pricing for STH vs RM,I'm sure 1/2 of our complaints wouldn't be seen here at all.

So before we start marching with banner "We deserve Butter" or boycotting the game I would suggest wait and see what TFC FO has to offer first.

And now I will :hide: and :leaving:

Pachuco
05-30-2009, 06:19 AM
whatever. i feel snubbed, but at least they're going to be playing on real grass. people who aren't season ticket holders will hopefully have a fair chance at seats..... but no doubt the scalpers will be all over this bitch.

if i was a rayal supporter and a tfc season ticket holder i'd be pissed, but i'm not so fuck it.

Hey man, I think you should wait until you see the "grass" before you call it real grass. I'm not saying it will be terrible, but it can happen. Specially if MLSE tries the cheapest option in order to cash in ;). The grass that was laid on top of Qwest field for the Canada Brazil game was in no way better then the fieldturf. Lost of complaints about it at the time. Temporary grass is not real grass.

Pachuco
05-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Someone screw TFC FO big time with this news.

I think MLSE wanted to announce the other game first(July 22.), and then lay Real Madrid on STH as an added bonus.

If everything worked out that way,we would be singing here from happiness,because we can watch Real Madrid on Real Grass.
Since RM game leaked out before first game was announced,we all feel very disappointed and pissed off.

Maybe we should wait a day or two and see what TFC FO has to offer as our first Int.game and see how much they will ask us to bleed for RM tickets before we have heart attacks in front of our PCs.
If they come out with decent opponent and pricing for STH vs RM,I'm sure 1/2 of our complaints wouldn't be seen here at all.

So before we start marching with banner "We deserve Butter" or boycotting the game I would suggest wait and see what TFC FO has to offer first.

And now I will :hide: and :leaving:
It's true, you make a good point. But some of the points by other people around moving a regular season game or adding an additional friendly still applies. Oh and see my post above on "real grass".

Oldtimer
05-30-2009, 07:05 AM
denime is right. The Globe breaking the news was definitely not planned by MLSE. I'm sure they are upset about the leak, which has hurt their careful marketing.

Waggy
05-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Ya but how could they reasonably keep it a secret? Reals a big club. In this day and age, if more than 3 people inside know the story, its getting leaked. A media savvy group like MLSE should be ready for that. But I do agree that waiting till the ticket situation is ACTUALLY announced, as well as the 2nd friendly, before getting upset. IF you guys are right and they're raping the supporters, then we can do something about it. Until then, we're just that little yappy dog

mlsintoronto
05-30-2009, 07:58 AM
I'll chime in here now that I've got a few minutes to read pages of opinion. Pretty much Denime nailed it a few posts up. Except I don't think Paul Attfield at the Globe screwed anyone. He merely did his job and put together some reported rumours and figured things out. Some things to note, then I'll f--- off on this topic. That should make some here happy.

1 - The rumoured additional friendly match. Still just a rumour...just a deal that is not complete yet. Therefore not announced. But the cat's out of the bag now so there is no sense denying it. But as I've shared with this group before: we've been to the altar with clubs before. We've had press releases written up, contracts signed by one party, etc. But it appears that other clubs and many match agents operate under different standards than we're accustomed to and we've been left high and dry more times than we've been successful. These things need for a thousand details to be right before they work. And the bigger the club the bigger the issues. But when faced with the opportunity to bring Real Madrid to Toronto in a summer which is shaping up to be the most important (for them) in decades...we said Toronto will enjoy this.

2 - moving the RB game. This was a huge decision. The thing that made it palatable was that NY and Toronto both had a 10+ day break, which is not ideal from a sporting perspective. The unfortunate thing is that we don't have the Madrid game announced but time was running out. For those who are put out - I'm sorry, and the club is sorry. You can place the blame on me for that one. We have had discussions with NY about their traveling supporters and we'll deal with those fans individually.

3 - the friendly in the season ticket package. I hope to have clarity on this by end of next week. We were (at one point) going to bring over Cagliari. We decided to kaibosh that when we heard the rumour of Juve or Roma or both coming over for the charity match. The timing of these announcements are out of whack and ultimately that's down to me and the failure to get the deals done in time. I can accept that. I think it is important to bring a Serie A club over for this city, but not this summer. I hope that match happens. Its not TFC's but I think it would be great for this city.

4 - Season seat holders will get first chance to buy their seats if a second friendly is announced. With only 20,000 seats available, and given the cost of grass and this club and their travel, you're correct in thinking that the tickets will be more than a normal match. They'll be close to $200 at the top end I think. The high end tickets (tables, field side seats) will be more, but they are not for everyone. Season Seat Holders will have this option to buy. Not obligation.

5 - Jack - don't call me out. Call me up. If you have a question for me then just ask it. I don't spend every minute of every day on these boards, so the "deafening silence" you hear from me is because I have a job to do and don't get the time to read pages of comments until Saturday morning. Plus whenever there is a contentious issue on these boards if I comment in the first 36 hours it only serves to piss people off. Saner heads tend to prevail with the passage of time. But you know where to find me. Posturing leadership on the boards is different than real leadership.

6 - Grass - I'm with Pachuco above...temporary grass is not real grass. I'm no longer trying to convince myself or anyone else that Field Turf is the same or better than grass. But I'll make one comment about the stuff: it is more consistent. I'm nervous but supportive of grass. I just don't want some watered down deal that is meant to appease many and turns out worse than what we have now.

The right solution long term for Toronto FC is a $5Million investment (just at BMO, not including the cost of relocating all the community obligations). Add to that a 12 month maintenance program. That includes underground heading, moisture and air control, drainage, etc. And when we have that...ideally no one plays or trains on that field. It ends up getting used 20 days a year. I'm not sure we can sell that to the city...but thats what we want. Anything less represents a compromise (and a liklihood). So I put this in the "be careful what you wish for" category. Sorry - off topic I know. But having grass for this match demonstrates that if we want to play with the big boys we still have to make some changes.

7 - Just for shits and giggles, here is a list of the clubs that (from memory) we've spoken to, had some sort of deal with, or turned down because we thought we had a deal with someone else, etc. Also - some had clearly unreasonable expectations of what to earn from coming to Toronto. Some tiny teams demand a $Million, and some big clubs just want to have a competitive match and have their expenses covered. Bear in mind some of the list are from agents who claim to have the match rights of a club but don't - so we are sometimes "negotiating" with someone who's not really with the club! Its a pain in the ass.

No particular order:
Valencia
Villa Real
Mollinarios
Colo Colo
Deportivo la Caruna
Eintracht Frankfut
FC Koln
AEK Athens
Panathanaikos
Benneton
Monaco
Liverpool
Everton
Burnley
Rangers
Celtic
Aberdeen
Dundee
Club America
Saprissa
Udinese
Catania
Porto
Benfica (again)
Boca Jrs
Newells Old Boys
Santos
Flamenco
Sao Paolo
Universidad de Concepcion
Lyons
Bayern Munich
Cologne
Schalke
Ajax
PSV Eindhoven

Finally - Sorry for the long post. I usually get two sentences into Kingpin's monologues and skip to the next post. I don't blame you if you do the same with this one! :cool:

SteeltownBhoy
05-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I was at the Guinness\ Diagio offices yesterday while all the reps where trying to secure tickets for their most important clients in the Guinness Box at BMO.

The TFC reps may not have been returning phone calls to "the common man" they certainly returned calls from the private box owners.

It is a done deal, and will be an extra game. But the cost looks like the same as the face value of the ticket for our already scheduled friendly (but that could change).

It all sounds so "BLACK OPS"

king dave
05-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info P.
You forgot Riverplate:D.
KD.

mlsintoronto
05-30-2009, 08:06 AM
not returning calls? I got zero calls on this yesterday, and a couple of emails, which I addressed. I spoke to the team on 416-360-GOAL. every call got answered as far as I can see. With the exception of those who were travelling yesterday...I don't see us not returning calls.

mlsintoronto
05-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the info P.
You forgot Riverplate:D.
KD.

oh yeah. and River Plate.

OneLoveOneEric
05-30-2009, 08:12 AM
While that info from Paul does clarify some issues, the clarification certainly falls on the side of our worst fears. Basically what we all suspected about this game was true. So thanks for clarifying, but nice work on fucking us royally.
Although the image of big-time MLSE negotiating with fake representatives of clubs has brightened my day!
Things get more and more bush around here every day.

Ladies Love Julius James
05-30-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm more interested in Ricketts and Twittergate :D

Seriously, this Real Madrid situation is what it is. TSN sportscentre was talking about it yesterday.

torontocelt
05-30-2009, 08:20 AM
If this shit happened in Europe or South America there would be riots and fires. They do it here and we'll complain, then get in line to buy our tickets.

Some of the noise coming out from fans about this game is crazy, if everyone is so unhappy about this then I would expect season ticket sales to go down next season? Most fans at BMO especially those on the south stand are getting a great deal to watch football in a major city. I do laugh when they cry so much when they have only spent $350 or so for a season ticket, that is excellent value. I laugh even more when they insult the guys in the middle of the west stand stand for not being real fans when they are paying $1000 or more for a season ticket, have they any idea that in ticket sales these people are paying close to three times as much as them thus they are putting three times as much into the club in ticket sales alone?

We could all sit here and cry about the RM game saying people overseas wouldn't stand for it not being free, do you guys even know how it works overseas? Man U were charging their fans for everything including all FA cup games whether or not they wanted to attend. At celtic I know for a fact that when you buy a season you get the league games and you have to pay for most friendlies and all champions league matches, fact of the matter is that most clubs charge additional fees to the price of their season ticket, they are a business and this is how they make money.

Season ticket holders are replaceable at BMO, the only ones who are not are those paying $1000 or so but those paying $500 or so can forget about it as they would be replaced in an instant. Paying $500 or less doesn't mean you are owed the world by the MLSE, if they want to charge for seeing one of the biggest clubs in the world then they will, as long as they deliver another international friendly there is nothing people can get upset about. Some people need to get over themselves and accept that if they don't want to pay the price then dont go and if you are that unhappy about how the club is run then give up your season ticket, there are still tons of people waiting in the wing to take them, other than that then just pay up and watch some world class footballers at BMO for a change. For those crying their eyes out and paying $350 for a season are you even aware that poeple who bought partial packs paid the same amount to see 6 games and had to take marlies games too for the privilege? That is the real travesty of the MLSE, that is the real kick in the teeth. If ever there were something to complain about that was the one.

SteeltownBhoy
05-30-2009, 08:23 AM
FAKE REPS?????

Paul, admit it, you got "punked" by Howard Stern!!!!!!

Ladies Love Julius James
05-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Comparing TFC to United and Celtic, lovely.

OneLoveOneEric
05-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Here's a list of girls that I've tried to have blow me. Bear in mind that when I sobered up, some of them weren't actually these girls:
Gisele
Cindy Crawford
Claudia Schiffer
Kate Beckinsale.

mlsintoronto
05-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Here's a list of girls that I've tried to have blow me. Bear in mind that when I sobered up, some of them weren't actually these girls:
Gisele
Cindy Crawford
Claudia Schiffer
Kate Beckinsale.

Oh yeah.. And Kate Beckinsale.