PDA

View Full Version : What is up with CBC?

Pachuco
06-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Ok I don't like flaming CBC because they actually have been great supporters of TFC this year. But before I left the game I was watching Soccer Day in Canada and I actually sat through a game of 12 year old girls playing in Manitoba IN HD. I turn the TV on this morning and put on the TFC game and to my dissapointment and shock the game is not being televised in HD.

Maybe I'm mistaken, and maybe I was seeing things, but all of the Soccer Day in Canada programming was in HD before I left the house. THERE IS NO EXCUSE for not having televised that TFC game in HD.

HOW THE HELL do you get an HD camera for 12 year old girls and you can't make it happen for TFC???????

thank you for taking the time to listen to my rant :)

SilverSamurai
06-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Ok I don't like flaming CBC because they actually have been great supporters of TFC this year. But before I left the game I was watching Soccer Day in Canada and I actually sat through a game of 12 year old girls playing in Manitoba IN HD. I turn the TV on this morning and put on the TFC game and to my dissapointment and shock the game is not being televised in HD.

Maybe I'm mistaken, and maybe I was seeing things, but all of the Soccer Day in Canada programming was in HD before I left the house. THERE IS NO EXCUSE for not having televised that TFC game in HD.

HOW THE HELL do you get an HD camera for 12 year old girls and you can't make it happen for TFC???????

thank you for taking the time to listen to my rant :)

12 year old girls in HD?
But no streamers in HD? Yes, something is amiss...

flatpicker
06-01-2008, 06:24 PM
if the girls were at least 18 then there wouldn't be an issue of them being broadcast in HD.

:ihih:

egoodwin
06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
publicly run broadcaster...

of course they have their priorities messed up

that 12 year old game probably had better commentating and sound than the TFC/Mtl game too

Dirk Diggler
06-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Was that 12 year old game shown in its entirety?

Anyways, I think the reason for this is that they have specific number of HD trucks per department. The HD truck(s?) for CBC Sports are booked due to the Stanley Cup, although its hard to imagine why CBC Sports would not have more than one truck at their avail. Anyways, I do agree that in terms of HD coverage for TFC games, CBC has not done as much as they should have and all we get is excuses. However, its hard to criticize them considering that they have really picked up their coverage of the sport at all levels.

Lenny Dikestra
06-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Its John Molinaro's Fault for sure.. He sent the HD truck out west ..numpty

TheRenter
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Yah....and SDIC my ass....didn't even televise the CMNT match vs. Brasil....what an f'n joke that is!

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 09:53 PM

Because getting a single HD camera for an ENG shoot is easy. Getting a six to ten HD camera truck with HD-EVS/switcher/graphics/audio...that's much, much harder.

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Yah....and SDIC my ass....didn't even televise the CMNT match vs. Brasil....what an f'n joke that is!

Perhaps that's because the CMNT match wasn't announced until well after the television schedule was set in stone, with crew arrangements made and sponsors in place.

Does NO ONE here understand that live television coverage of a sporting event isn't something that can be put together in a few seconds? I mean, JESUS...CBC just spent what...6 hours yesterday on soccer? What do they have to do, 48 hours straight while baking you cookies and giving you a handjob?

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
during the tfc_la game cbc did a segment on some female MLS referee, like WTF cares!! give the team some exposure that would a nice change of pace, prfile the players ,not some csa tart!!

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
48 hours straight while baking you cookies and giving you a handjob?

Well, that'd be a start :)

I kid, I kid...

koryo
06-01-2008, 09:59 PM
What do they have to do, 48 hours straight while baking you cookies and giving you a handjob?

Don't be silly.

I'd expect steak.

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 10:01 PM
during the tfc_la game cbc did a segment on some female MLS referee, like WTF cares!! give the team some exposure that would a nice change of pace, prfile the players ,not some csa tart!!

Misogynist much?

Blizzard
06-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Perhaps that's because the CMNT match wasn't announced until well after the television schedule was set in stone, with crew arrangements made and sponsors in place.

Does NO ONE here understand that live television coverage of a sporting event isn't something that can be put together in a few seconds? I mean, JESUS...CBC just spent what...6 hours yesterday on soccer? What do they have to do, 48 hours straight while baking you cookies and giving you a handjob?

Indeed!

B

Kevvv
06-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Don't be silly.

I'd expect steak.

Steak and cookies for koryo, then.

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Better yet, steak cookies.

DON'T ANYONE STEAL THAT IDEA...I'm gonna be a fuckin' billionaire off that one.

Kevvv
06-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Gotta agree with the sentiment here. I taped the show, and was disappointed. Even Bidini's piece - I liked his hockey doc, but wasn't moved by much of this effort. The bits about the Italian community were interesting, though.

I would have liked more about the growth of the game, especially hre in TO/COTU (centre of the universe). As a good Canadian boy, I was brought up on hockey and lacrosse, with a smattering of CFL and baseball. I was aware of Toronto Croatia and the Blizzard, but never saw a game. And I vaguely remember seeing a bunch people with Italy flags going crazy in the summer of 82... So much more he could have explored, instead of the Moss Park/Parkdale derby.

koryo
06-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Better yet, steak cookies.

DON'T ANYONE STEAL THAT IDEA...I'm gonna be a fuckin' billionaire off that one.

Oi, 50% of that's mine son! :)

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 10:20 PM
and I can hook you up with a kick ass cookie recipe!

Boris
06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
and I can hook you up with a kick ass cookie recipe!

does it involve fresh natural earthy stuff?

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Mmmmm...hydroponic cookies...

koryo
06-01-2008, 10:24 PM
^^ hydroponic steak cookies.

I know, I know, 50% is yours.

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 10:26 PM
does it involve fresh natural earthy stuff?

Actually, I've never made those, but there's a first time for everything :D

Boris
06-01-2008, 10:27 PM
......yes......i think we should experiment with said ingredients....

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 10:27 PM
^^ hydroponic steak cookies.

I know, I know, 50% is yours.

Actually, 67% of that one is mine.

koryo
06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Bastard! Caught me with your legal mumbo-jumbo.

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I knew watching L.A. Law would come in handy some day.

Dre
06-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Lots of excuses for the CBC, but I agree that TFC should be in HD. (Luckily been to most games, but pissed off watching in standard) Was flipping through the HD channels (There need to be more) & saw soccer on HDSRC - French CBC & the Impact had their game televised in HD. I mean the freaking Impact can get games in HD & TFC can't? WTF is wrong with this picture. (Besides the stripes on the side of my screen)

Cashcleaner
06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
There's only a finite number of HD equipment the CBC has and they are obligated to keep it all scattered across the country.

Big freakin' deal that the game wasn't televised in HD! Like James said, we got 6 hours of coverage for a sport that wasn't even on the mainstream media's radar screens a year ago.

James Oliphant
06-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Lots of excuses for the CBC, but I agree that TFC should be in HD. (Luckily been to most games, but pissed off watching in standard) Was flipping through the HD channels (There need to be more) & saw soccer on HDSRC - French CBC & the Impact had their game televised in HD. I mean the freaking Impact can get games in HD & TFC can't? WTF is wrong with this picture. (Besides the stripes on the side of my screen)

Montreal's HD truck wasn't in Pittsburgh for hockey.

It's really that simple.

Don Julio
06-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Fuel to the fire: I've watched three Impact matches in the last few weeks on SRC and they have all been in HD.

WTF

Fort York Redcoat
06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah HD is nice. I wouldv'e rather they put the Canada game on after Hockey night in America...

MFBODD
06-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Yup, the Impact games last year were in HD as well. Last Friday it looked more like upconverted, but sill, it was widescreen. Also, it appears that a majority of their programming is in HD as well. It also looks a bit better... I mean compare something like The Hour to a French program and the SRC looks to be of better quality.

CBC should get more HD equipment, but I assume they don't have the budget for it.

It sucks that our games aren't in HD... We have a couple of matches on HDNet. Those should look great unless the channel gets blacked out because of Canadian rights...

Pachuco
06-02-2008, 09:47 AM
ammm.....you want to call something BUSH LEAGUE? CBC is bush league giving us 12 year old girls in HD and no TFC in HD. Some of you think big deal the game wasn't in HD, you probably don't own an HDTV PLUS pay for the HD programming channel. It's quite pathetic that a sporting event in Toronto is still not covered in HD. THEN WHAT THE HELL DO I PAY ROGERS FOR HD PROGRAMMING?

CBC = BUSH LEAGUE

905shmick
06-02-2008, 09:58 AM
ammm.....you want to call something BUSH LEAGUE? CBC is bush league giving us 12 year old girls in HD and no TFC in HD. Some of you think big deal the game wasn't in HD, you probably don't own an HDTV PLUS pay for the HD programming channel. It's quite pathetic that a sporting event in Toronto is still not covered in HD. THEN WHAT THE HELL DO I PAY ROGERS FOR HD PROGRAMMING?

CBC = BUSH LEAGUE

Did you know you can stick up an antenna and get CBC-HD for free? Along with CTV, Global, CityTV, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and others. You don't have to pay rogers or bell for the majority of the HD programming available to you.

See here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/

Roogsy
06-02-2008, 10:04 AM
I'll reserve my complaints for when they don't show the TFC games live. Otherwise, HD or not...I am just happy they are on TV. I guess with the team doing so well, we need something to complain about.

Gobi
06-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Because getting a single HD camera for an ENG shoot is easy. Getting a six to ten HD camera truck with HD-EVS/switcher/graphics/audio...that's much, much harder.

QFT.
I work in the industry and can tell you that's very likely the main reason.
Remember we're still a niche sport in this country and have you all looked at the viewing numbers? If I were a CBC producer, despite my undying dedication to TFC, I could not justify the expense of a 6+ camera HD truck to my superiors.

Sorry, now back to steak and cookies...

James Oliphant
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM

CBC = BUSH LEAGUE

Maybe read my responses to this thread and you'll have some vague understanding of how the television industry works.

Fuck, people...it's not that hard to understand...

Alarius
06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Could be worse.. they could decide not to show any soccer.. and stick to World Championship darts..

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Could be worse.. they could decide not to show any soccer.. and stick to World Championship darts..

it could be better, gol or setanta could pick up TFC rights....

the resons MLS games are no longer on fox sports world canada is because of the cbc....the hate competition....cbc blows

James Oliphant
06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
it could be better, gol or setanta could pick up TFC rights....

the resons MLS games are no longer on fox sports world canada is because of the cbc....the hate competition....cbc blows

Yeah, let's put them on Gol or Setanta or FSWC...immediately shrink the potential audience by 90%, with the added bonus that you'll never get a game in HD.

Great idea.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, let's put them on Gol or Setanta or FSWC...immediately shrink the potential audience by 90%, with the added bonus that you'll never get a game in HD.

Great idea.

i don't give a rats ass for the HD bit, TFC numbers on cbc are not that great anyways so it wouldn't be that big a deal if they went to gol/setanta. potential audience means nothing if they are not tuning in!!

James Oliphant
06-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Good thing you're not running the show.

Blizzard
06-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Did you know you can stick up an antenna and get CBC-HD for free? Along with CTV, Global, CityTV, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and others. You don't have to pay rogers or bell for the majority of the HD programming available to you.

See here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/

A buddy of mine does exactly that. The digital transmission/reception keeps the signals looking perfect. No comparison to the old analog days.

Blizzard
06-02-2008, 02:26 PM
i don't give a rats ass for the HD bit, TFC numbers on cbc are not that great anyways so it wouldn't be that big a deal if they went to gol/setanta. potential audience means nothing if they are not tuning in!!

Why lock the telecast into a ghetto where casual viewers can't find it. You've got to keep the door open to increased viewership and that will be difficult if you lock yourself away into the very tiny niche markets of gol or setanta.

On those channels, there is no potential. You'll get 10 to 15k max if you're lucky.

The best thing that could have happened to TFC was having CBC jump on board.

All that free cross-promotion during other programming is important as hell.

Now, let's see if the numbers improve after hockey is over and people start looking to other sports for entertainment.

To draw 40k against DC versus the Cup Finals was shockingly good IMO.

B

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I wouldn’t mind if some of the games The Score was carrying ended up on Setanta, particularly if that meant they’d do some informational programming about TFC and Canadian soccer in general. However, obviously, the best thing for the team and the game is to have the majority of the broadcasts on the CBC.

Dirk Diggler
06-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I wouldn’t mind if some of the games The Score was carrying ended up on Setanta, particularly if that meant they’d do some informational programming about TFC and Canadian soccer in general. However, obviously, the best thing for the team and the game is to have the majority of the broadcasts on the CBC.

I don't think Setanta is interested in doing MLS games.

Pachuco
06-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Maybe read my responses to this thread and you'll have some vague understanding of how the television industry works.

Fuck, people...it's not that hard to understand...

How bout I fucking ignore your responses because they are useless to me?? WTF do I care how the television industry works? I payed for an HDTV, an HDPVR, HD Programming flipping years ago. Do I really care that they don't have enough HD trucks to show the TFC game in HD? are you kidding? I should change my opinion because they don't have enough trucks??? THAT'S THE PROBLEM. THEY SHOULD HAVE MORE TRUCKS.

Next time you order a pizza, and it comes in 2 hours, tell the guy at the door that you understand they didn't have enough drivers on this day. Give him a big tip and pay him full price for the pizza, why? because you know how the pizza industry works.

once again....CBC = BUSH LEAGUE

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't think Setanta is interested in doing MLS games.

maybe a few more signings like Beckham...Maybe Henry...might get them interested...i would love the day when TFC can tell CBC to go F**k them selves.:canada:

flatpicker
06-02-2008, 03:21 PM
It won't be long until HD broadcasting is the norm (and no, I don't mean a fat guy sitting on a barstool).

tv is in a transition stage... all will be well soon.

ilikemusic
06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I didnt watch two seconds of 'Soccer Day in Canada'.

I was watching actual soccer. Portugal and France both had friendlies on TV here during that stupid crap.

Why anybody is 'thankful' for the exposure that was soccer day in Canada I dont think I will ever understand.

All they did was profile minor league soccer. If anything, it just reaffirmed to the naysayers in this country that soccer is still just a sport for little kids to play so they can get some exercise while their moms and dads have a nice chat with each other.

Pachuco
06-02-2008, 03:31 PM
It won't be long until HD broadcasting is the norm (and no, I don't mean a fat guy sitting on a barstool).

tv is in a transition stage... all will be well soon.

my beef is how long we've been in this transitioning stage. I bought my first HDTV 4 years ago. Do you know how long that is in the television industry? how far TVs has come since then? and for stations like CBC to still show what? 15% HD programming, that's unacceptable and once again

Bush League :)

flatpicker
06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I still haven't bought an HD yet.
I'm waiting until it becomes necessary to have one.
I'm sure within the next year or so HD will become the standard broadcasting method and all homes will be forced to go to their local electronics store.
Of course... that might drive the cost of tv's up if analog becomes obsolete.
hmmm... maybe I should get one now.

ilikemusic
06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I still haven't bought an HD yet.
I'm waiting until it becomes necessary to have one.
I'm sure within the next year or so HD will become the standard broadcasting method and all homes will be forced to go to their local electronics store.
Of course... that might drive the cost of tv's up if analog becomes obsolete.
hmmm... maybe I should get one now.

I got one about a year and a half ago. Its the best thing ever.

Every sport looks a million times better and Discovery HD is like heroin (but healthy).

Roogsy
06-02-2008, 03:52 PM
my beef is how long we've been in this transitioning stage. I bought my first HDTV 4 years ago. Do you know how long that is in the television industry? how far TVs has come since then? and for stations like CBC to still show what? 15% HD programming, that's unacceptable and once again

Bush League :)

If CBC wasn't a national broadcaster (essentially the equivalent of PBS) I would see your point. But they are such a political hot potatoe that I am surprised they function at all. Your complaints are valid, but it would seem you are venting in the wrong direction. Aim your anger at the CRTC.

I don't really have a problem with CBC who I believe have done a good enough job doing their part promoting soccer in this country. There are other parts of the media that are doing a piss-poor job and truly deserve our derision.

Pachuco
06-02-2008, 03:57 PM
If CBC wasn't a national broadcaster (essentially the equivalent of PBS) I would see your point. But they are such a political hot potatoe that I am surprised they function at all. Your complaints are valid, but it would seem you are venting in the wrong direction. Aim your anger at the CRTC.

I don't really have a problem with CBC who I believe have done a good enough job doing their part promoting soccer in this country. There are other parts of the media that are doing a piss-poor job and truly deserve our derision.

I guess I don't understand who CRTC is and how they come into play? If there is more people I can blame, fill me in, nothing better then having more people to bitch at :)

Roogsy
06-02-2008, 04:01 PM
The CRTC is the FCC of Canada.

The Canadian Radio and Television Commission.

Since the CBC is publicly funded, only the government and this regulatory body can really determine the direction the CBC takes. To blame an organization that basically doesn't command it's own future is kind of silly in my mind.

Pachuco
06-02-2008, 04:05 PM
The CRTC is the FCC of Canada.

The Canadian Radio and Television Commission.

Since the CBC is publicly funded, only the government and this regulatory body can really determine the direction the CBC takes. To blame an organization that basically doesn't command it's own future is kind of silly in my mind.

well thanks for enlightening me because I had no idea. new t-shirt idea, SACK THE CRTC :)

oh yeah, and I blame the public for not paying enough taxes to fund TFC HD games :)

Pachuco
06-02-2008, 04:06 PM
oh, and I blame the Government for providing health care over TFC in HD

Roogsy
06-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Good...more HD for us!

GeorgeB
06-02-2008, 05:54 PM
still cant watch saturdays game at cbcsports .ca WTF ? do i have to go to East Side Marios on front st and talk to some cbc people to make it happen or what ?

Oldtimer
06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
still cant watch saturdays game at cbcsports .ca WTF ? do i have to go to East Side Marios on front st and talk to some cbc people to make it happen or what ?

It's there. Check the CBC media player.

905shmick
06-02-2008, 08:19 PM
A buddy of mine does exactly that. The digital transmission/reception keeps the signals looking perfect. No comparison to the old analog days.

Not only that it looks WAY better than any Rogers or ExpressVu HD feed.

bee dubya
06-02-2008, 08:47 PM
^ that's because the digital signal (over-the-air signal) isn't compressed the same way it is for Rogers and Express Vu. You're probably getting a signal that's basically twice the bandwidth that any of the cable or satellite providers transmit.

Oh and I want to back the CBC on their coverage. Sure I'm disappointed that the games haven't been in HD (because sports sure do look sweet in HD) but I can understand why CBC haven't broadcast the games that way. I'm happy that CBC have been covering the games as well as they have. Let's face it, of the Canadian broadcasters carrying TFC matches, CBC has far and away the best coverage out there.

As for SRC airing Impact games in HD, I believe that might be due to the fact that SRC and CBC have separate operating budgets due to the fact that they operate in different languages and therefore need unique programming. SRC likely choose to broadcast Impact games in HD and spend some of their budget there. CBC have other commitments and probably don't consider TFC worth the squeeze considering the relatively low ratings and/or they just don't have the HD transmission facilities - such as HD trucks - to properly cover both NHL and MLS simultaneously.

Roogsy
06-02-2008, 09:56 PM
^It's exactly my thoughts BD. Especially with the NHL Playoffs going on...are we really going to believe that they will send their HD trucks our way? Send some of the stuff you are smoking my way! LOL!

Flipityflu
06-02-2008, 10:53 PM
has anybody got sats game to work? it seems to just skip down to the Montreal game everytime i try to watch it.

nfitz
06-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Not only that it looks WAY better than any Rogers or ExpressVu HD feed.Why does it look better than Rogers? Rogers isn't compression any of the Toronto OTA HD channels, so there should be a 100% bit to bit match on the two.

GeorgeB
06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
It's there. Check the CBC media player.it doesnt work.it skips down to the montreal game.

James Oliphant
06-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Wrote them on Sunday...here's the response:

Dear James,

Thank you for your email. Our sports "full player" is having technical problems. Our webmasters are working on them and we hope to have everything up and running soon.

We really appreciate your taking the time to write to us.

Parker Bishop
Communications Assistant
CBC Audience Relations