PDA

View Full Version : Things CONCACAF C.L. Needs to Change!

Shway
05-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Im going to start it off with the first two.
The Grand Finale needs to be one leg, it was mentioned by flatpicker, that the venue can be located in the US, or in Mexico. My second issue is why isnt the winner of the CCL give automatic berth into next years. ( i.e., Atlante.

And finally, (but not that much of an issue)
CONCACAF should enforce teams to stich the LOGO on and not make it look so bootleg. :canada:

Everything needs to be right for when TFC win right?:scarf:

flatpicker
05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
^ Are Champions League winners given automatic spots in other regions?

And yes... one game final please!!!!

JonO
05-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Been discussing it, and although a one game final sounds good it would be a marketing/attendance nightmare at this point. Honestly, how many TFC fans do you think would travel to Houston (for example) to watch the final??

Shway
05-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Been discussing it, and although a one game final sounds good it would be a marketing/attendance nightmare at this point. Honestly, how many TFC fans do you think would travel to Houston (for example) to watch the final??

Alot dont under estimate the TFC fan base

JonO
05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
The best we have mustered thus far is 2000 to Columbus which is cheap and easy. Somewhere like Houston would be significantly more expensive and inconvenient (likely a weeknight)

Believe me, I'm not knocking it, but travel in North America is not like travel in Europe...

T_Mizz
05-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I know I'd be so down for that and the Uefa Champions League winners don't get an automatic berth btw, it was controversial a few years back when Liverpool placed 5th in the EPL but won the champions league. I believe they were initially denied the spot but they appealed and since it is a champions' leagu and thy were the champions of the champions they were allowed to enter but in the preliminary rounds.

flatpicker
05-28-2009, 04:05 PM

A one game final would add some credibility to the CCL.

It's been proven over and over again recently that MLS is better off marketing to soccer fans... not newbies.
Then let it grow from there.

Same idea should apply for the CCL.
Structure the tournament more in the style of Europe, then I think more footie lovers would pay attention.

A one game final would also allow for more advance marketing, promotion, sponsors etc.

CDNSoccerFan
05-28-2009, 04:06 PM
More I think of it the 2 legs make the most sense money revenue wise. No neutral site is going to bid for a final of this tourney you'd have to think.

Question, is there a CL anthem for our region?

Beach_Red
05-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Yes, can't we win it at BMO a couple of times before we head to some neutral site?

T_Mizz
05-28-2009, 04:07 PM
The best we have mustered thus far is 2000 to Columbus which is cheap and easy. Somewhere like Houston would be significantly more expensive and inconvenient (likely a weeknight)

Believe me, I'm not knocking it, but travel in North America is not like travel in Europe...
That's a good point but those 2000 went down for a relatively meaningless regular season game and this would be the Champions' League Final:drum:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-28-2009, 04:08 PM

exactly..this is not europe!...

a 2 leg final works fine on this side of the pond!.....

dont get me wrong.....a one off final is preferd but it just dosent work here

flatpicker
05-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Columbus was one game during a season.
The Champions League final is a whole other thing.
I bet we could get several thousand from Toronto.

Of course traveling in NA is much more difficult, but it something we just have to live with I guess.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Columbus was one game during a season.
The Champions League final is a whole other thing.
I bet we could get several thousand from Toronto.

Of course traveling in NA is much more difficult, but it something we just have to live with I guess.

you think.....?

I would be very suprised if such a number (2000) would make it to a final in a place such as .....Houston...LA....SALTLAKE...SEATTLE.....

I guess we will finad out soon enough when we play in the CUP final this NOvember...:D

Shway
05-28-2009, 04:13 PM
^ Are Champions League winners given automatic spots in other regions?

And yes... one game final please!!!!

Yea...
Manchester had automatic berth into uefa champions league
LDU Quito had automatic berth into Copa Libertadores

AFC -used to just recently stopped.
CAF - no

Shway
05-28-2009, 04:14 PM
I know I'd be so down for that and the Uefa Champions League winners don't get an automatic berth btw, it was controversial a few years back when Liverpool placed 5th in the EPL but won the champions league. I believe they were initially denied the spot but they appealed and since it is a champions' leagu and thy were the champions of the champions they were allowed to enter but in the preliminary rounds.

yea they do,
or barcelona wouldnt be currently called Title Holders

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-28-2009, 04:14 PM
add another Canadian spot would be my major change...along with a tv deal in Canada for the whole tournamnet not just Canaadian team games.

T_Mizz
05-28-2009, 04:19 PM
yea they do,
or barcelona wouldnt be currently called Title Holders
I just meant to say that its not the same type of berth that they (Liverpool) got, and Man U got one anyway because they won their league last year.

Shway
05-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I just meant to say that its not the same type of berth that they (Liverpool) got, and Man U got one anyway because they won their league last year.

yea i know what your talking about,

however, i am an Arsenal Fan, and when they were in 5th, there was talks about them when they were taking part in the champions league, and it was that they needeed to win to gain automatic berth if they were to finish the premier league in 5th.

Unless Jon Champion (Sentanta Commentator) was talking rubbish

shawn6597
05-28-2009, 04:27 PM
add another Canadian spot would be my major change...along with a tv deal in Canada for the whole tournamnet not just Canaadian team games.

yes!! a tv deal

its all i want for christmas

T_Mizz
05-28-2009, 04:28 PM
yea i know what your talking about,

however, i am an Arsenal Fan, and when they were in 5th, talks were about when they were taking part in the champions league was that they need win to gain automatic berth if they were to finish the premier league in 5th.

Unless Jon Champion (Sentanta Commentator) was talking rubbish
well they would get an automatic berth just into the prelims like Liverpool did that one year
PS sorry:(

kodiakTFC
05-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't think the winners should auto-qualify, we don't need 5 Mexican or American teams in the tournament. If they auto-qualify then it should take out that countries spot and that would suck for countries that only have 1 spot. Also I think two-legs is better, this way both home teams can have the experience, one-leg only works in massive soccer continents where fans will travel by the thousands. You put a CL final in new york with Toronto FC v. Atlante, you'll get 10k fans tops.

SilverSamurai
05-28-2009, 04:59 PM
2 legs works best here.
Besides you're automatically assuming that the final would be in the US.
Imagine it being in Mexico? While Mexico City/Guadalajara wouldn't be too bad, as someone whose been to Torreon (where Impact had their meltdown against Santos), it's not exactly a quick 3-4hour trip as if you were going from London to Rome (not sure about the time it would be to fly, but London > Dortmund was barely a 1hr flight)
Don't get me started on if the final was held in Central America...

Doable? Yes, but not at this time...
Besides I want to see TFC hoist the trophy at home here. We can travel to the FIFA Club World Cup and save up for that. ;)

But yes, a Canadian network should follow the entire tourney, or if theirs no Canadian team at the very least show the semi-finals and finals.

Jeff s
05-28-2009, 05:05 PM
No way, I like the 2 leg finals. Gives us a chance to potentially see tfc lift the trophy here.

flatpicker
05-28-2009, 05:10 PM
how do they decide who plays at home first in the final?

Redpunkfiddle
05-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Most of Central America and Mexico do all their playoffs and final rounds with two legs.

Redpunkfiddle
05-28-2009, 05:14 PM
how do they decide who plays at home first in the final?

For the knock out rounds, they did a draw for the matchups, and a random draw for the home and away matches.

C.Ronaldo
05-28-2009, 06:21 PM
how does the finals of copa Lib work?

Lennon
05-28-2009, 06:30 PM
how does the finals of copa Lib work?

Same as Concacaf I believe ...

I don't mind the two legged final ... as long as we get the 2nd leg ...

C.Ronaldo
05-28-2009, 06:33 PM
^ so why does everyone compare it to the champions league in europe?

Its probably modeled after the copa lib.

dannyd
05-28-2009, 06:39 PM
all u guys that think we wouldn't get more than a few thousand to a Cup Final must be out of your minds. If we ever made it to the final, I don't care if its in fucking Honduras u bet ur ass 10K minimum will show up. Look how many people willing to fork out the bucks for a season ticket in bullshit MLS, and ur telling me a Champions league final against say Club America wouldn't get as many people?
One game final for sure, it would get a massive turnout wherever it is, unless a team like Vancouver, montreal or columbus is in coz they don't have any fans...

Jeff s
05-28-2009, 06:46 PM
all u guys that think we wouldn't get more than a few thousand to a Cup Final must be out of your minds. If we ever made it to the final, I don't care if its in fucking Honduras u bet ur ass 10K minimum will show up. Look how many people willing to fork out the bucks for a season ticket in bullshit MLS, and ur telling me a Champions league final against say Club America wouldn't get as many people?
One game final for sure, it would get a massive turnout wherever it is, unless a team like Vancouver, montreal or columbus is in coz they don't have any fans...

your living in a fantasy land. Like really, 10k? whatever..

S_D
05-28-2009, 06:49 PM
One leg final will never happen.

Concacaf/Warner likes $$$, which is more important to them over what fans think is legitimate.

kodiakTFC
05-28-2009, 07:00 PM

Have you ever pet a unicorn, i bet they're awesome. There is no WAY TFC could get even 500 fans to Honduras, I promise you that.

$300 for 18 games, games which are convienent because they are at home.
$1000 trip to Honduras for a one off game in a sketchy place.

Yeah.. thats the same thing.

nfitz
05-28-2009, 07:05 PM
your living in a fantasy land. Like really, 10k? whatever..Even if 10k was realistic - that's no where near enough. We'd be better off playing in Skydome with 50k - or BMO Field with 20k.

gtaguy
05-28-2009, 07:42 PM
anyone know how much the prize money would be for the winning team..how bout a charter plane .. im sure there is enough of us on this board willing to go down but 10 k might just be alittle riddiculous..

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-28-2009, 07:51 PM
TFC VS ATALANTE 2 game leg would be nice!.......

Book an entire resort in CAncun! :)

gtaguy
05-28-2009, 08:09 PM
im there i have about 5 ppl ready to travel with our team... cancun .. wherever in central america.. anyone wants a translator ...

Im starting to talk like we have this championship in the bag..

T_Mizz
05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
I think that 10k is unrealistic for a non-US site, I feel like 10k is possible for say NY, or Houston, Dallas, Florida, California, which are all possible neutral sites.

C.Ronaldo
05-29-2009, 08:59 AM
am I the only one who's job probably wouldnt permit him/her to travel anywhere and anytime?

JonO
05-29-2009, 09:43 AM
I think that 10k is unrealistic for a non-US site, I feel like 10k is possible for say NY, or Houston, Dallas, Florida, California, which are all possible neutral sites.
I think 10K even for a site as close as NY is dreaming...

redcard
05-29-2009, 10:30 AM
currently numbers like 10K are a bit far fetched...but once this tournament gets respect and credibility, i think those numbers would be very doable for us...

Fort York Redcoat
05-29-2009, 10:34 AM
We'll get travelling support for Champions league. Not that much at first but it will grow. Most people, hell most soccer fans in the country excluding us don't know winning it means playing one of their favourite teams overseas.:rolleyes:

james
05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
1-leg finale would look brutal for fan support. If you put the final in a nutral stadium then it will be either completely empty stadium or it will be a full stadium with a atmosphere about as loud as a grave yard because the fans wouldnt be from the 2 teams that are playing in the final.

Fans cant travel in North America like they do in Europe because of huge distance, much more exspensive cost on flights and the fact that the leagues in North America arent as big as the leagues in europe.

If they want to sell tickets for a Champions League final over here they gotta stick to the 2-leg format.

james
05-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Copa Libertadores i believe uses the 2-leg final format as well. Again South America is rather exspensive to travel, and even tho South Americans are probably the most fnatical fans in the world alot of them just cant afford to travel huge distances.