PDA

View Full Version : Here's what is wrong with standers

Pookie
05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
For the record, I'm a stander. However, the sitters are getting a bad rap and (some) standers are not perfect. Here's what's wrong with (some) standers:

You call yourselves supporters yet you only know the words to "come on you reds"... which you repeat over and over... even when other nearby sections are trying to get something else going. My 4 year old knows more songs than you. Take the time to LEARN THEM! Being a supporter is more than taking a pic for your facebook site showing you in a supporters section.

How hard is it to jump? You are already standing, bend your knees and push up. If you refuse to sing, at least jump. Maybe if you aren't sure of how to jump we could pass out some instructions pre-game.

Not every chant has to end in the word "FUCK." A well placed "FUCK" is fine but some of you act as though this is the only place you are allowed to swear and your parents aren't watching.

Not every call that the Referee makes is the incorrect one. When Guevara is on the ground apparently searching for his other leg waiting for the paramedics, the Referee might have been able to determine that he was trying to draw a foul because he was closer to the play than you. Booing everything makes you appear less knowledgeable... sort of like hockey fans in Atlanta who boo an icing call.

I come to the games with my wife. Sometimes my kids. I've heard comments about "soccer mom" or "shit, the family section is over there." When they outsing you, does it hurt a little inside? They all play the game... do you? Stop making elitist judgements about people. Whether they are sitters, have breasts or are under the age of 12. Everyone is there to support the team. You may have had your tickets since day 1. Considering this team is less than 3 years old, a lot of people where there on opening day too.

Now with all of that said, let's get some more standing sections and help guide fellow standers who might fall into the above categories.

It's one thing to stand. It's another to do it proper.

Fushida
05-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Not every call that the Referee makes is the incorrect one. When Guevara is on the ground apparently searching for his other leg waiting for the paramedics, the Referee might have been able to determine that he was trying to draw a foul because he was closer to the play than you. Booing everything makes you appear less knowledgeable... sort of like hockey fans in Atlanta who boo an icing call.

I agree with some of your points... but not this one. I get a pretty decent view of a lot of calls from my vantage. Right or wrong, I think its a good bet to give the ref some hell for a call/non-call against us. Its all in the spirit of the occasion and who knows... might pressure him to think twice about something next time (of course... these guys are professionals and shouldn't matter either way). This is completely different from booing an icing call IMO which as you said shows a lack of understanding for the principles of the game.

On the other hand I've had people near me boo/heckle our own players, as well as boo injured players (who were actually injured). That... I have a problem with.

Chevy
05-27-2009, 12:14 PM
+1. Standing doesn't make you a great supporter or give you some mystical authority over those that sit.

I had two giggling c**ts behind me a few weeks ago. Sure, they stood for the whole game, but were more interested in getting pissed and taking pictures of each other than the game.

ACSertL
05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Not much to say other than I've heard the exact opposite characterization of people who boo icing calls.

That is all. :)

BuSaPuNk
05-27-2009, 12:18 PM
[/list]I agree with some of your points... but not this one. I get a pretty decent view of a lot of calls from my vantage. Right or wrong, I think its a good bet to give the ref some hell for a call/non-call against us. Its all in the spirit of the occasion and who knows... might pressure him to think twice about something next time (of course... these guys are professionals and shouldn't matter either way). This is completely different from booing an icing call IMO which as you said shows a lack of understanding for the principles of the game.

On the other hand I've had people near me boo/heckle our own players, as well as boo injured players (who were actually injured). That... I have a problem with.

Compleltly agree. How many times have you seen the crowd react at a call and 10-15 mins later getting a call going there way when it was not really a foul.

Lucky Strike
05-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Is it just me, or has this the potential to be a really nasty thread? Not to stifle discussion or anything, just that the mods should keep a close eye on this one (also not implying that you guys have done anything wrong so far either).

Darlofletch
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Compleltly agree. How many times have you seen the crowd react at a call and 10-15 mins later getting a call going there way when it was not really a foul.

In the thread about tfc giving up so many penalties, it's suggested that we're getting a lot of calls go against us because of the refs wanting to show they're not intimidated by the noisy aggressive crowd.

So confusing, i just don't know what to think any more.

Also, you might want to change the thread title to here's what is wrong with some standers.

WHITEY
05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Is it just me, or has this the potential to be a really nasty thread? Not to stifle discussion or anything, just that the mods should keep a close eye on this one (also not implying that you guys have done anything wrong so far either).

Not just you my friend, I was thinking the same thing!

uncle p
05-27-2009, 12:28 PM

Its alright, i already got my popcorn man

koryo
05-27-2009, 12:30 PM
the problem is the holier-than-thou attitude some people insist on having. Not so much standing :)

Pookie
tongue 'n cheek fellows but with a little dash of reality.

I can tell you that from the top of 110 on the weekend, it was like a library. Maybe it was the weed...

joel
I don't get the referee comment. You Boo calls against you, regardless of merit, you cheer calls against them, regardless of merit. We're supporters, not referees! And honestly most people can't see the call closely enough to judge, so what the fuck is the difference?

Like I don't see the play closely enough to make a judgement, so I'm not going to cheer either way. YEAH, THAT MAKES SENSE. hehe. It's like this in EVERY Sport, I'm not sure why you think soccer is different, referees are quite used to this.

Sonny Cheeba
05-27-2009, 12:31 PM
do you sit near the top of 111 Pookie?

they add a "Fuck you" to the Forza song and some other swearing, but i don't remember what.

kinda unnecessary.

edit: you posted the answer.... we posted at the same time.

hahaha i know what you're talking about.

Pookie
05-27-2009, 12:32 PM
[/LIST]
I agree with some of your points... but not this one. I get a pretty decent view of a lot of calls from my vantage. Right or wrong, I think its a good bet to give the ref some hell for a call/non-call against us.

Point taken re: trying to get the next call.

Perhaps another example, such as encouraging folks to consider that Chad Barrett does have the potential to actually be offside once and awhile?

H Bomb
05-27-2009, 12:33 PM
boooooring

Sonny Cheeba
05-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Point taken re: trying to get the next call.

Perhaps another example, such as encouraging folks to consider that Chad Barrett does have the potential to actually be offside once and awhile?

or really harsh tackles that we're lucky to get away with when the ref awards the opposition a free kick.... when it should really be a card.

TorontoBlades
05-27-2009, 12:34 PM
the problem is the holier-than-thou attitude some people insist on having. Not so much standing :)

this is the money shot right here. Koryo you're such an insightful dude, especially for one that supports one of the wrong Yorkshire clubs

Sonny Cheeba
05-27-2009, 12:35 PM
boooooring

one hour and 15 minutes.....

H Bomb
05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
:yesnod:^^

TorontoBlades
05-27-2009, 12:38 PM
^ we're going to shit on the City, we're going to shit on the City tonight...oh oh ha

that'ss get 'er going :)

Carter
05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
You know whats wrong with this thread?

Carter
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
There is not enough.

http://www.provocativeplanet.com/cowbell.JPG

Brooker
05-27-2009, 12:47 PM
i can't keep track of how i'm supposed to act or what i can do to be a "better" supporter.

by year 4 i hope you guys have finally decided.

WHITEY
05-27-2009, 12:49 PM
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/images/2008/03/04/will_farrell_cowbell_2.jpg

Carter
05-27-2009, 12:51 PM
http://internetstinkslikebeer.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/cowbell.jpg

rocker
05-27-2009, 12:51 PM
i can't keep track of how i'm supposed to act or what i can do to be a "better" supporter.

by year 4 i hope you guys have finally decided.

i think people are a bit toooooo conscious about how people should act.

being a supporter is like a job now ;)

Sonny Cheeba
05-27-2009, 12:53 PM
i think people are a bit toooooo conscious about how people should act.

being a supporter is like a job now ;)

yeah not wearing red means you're out of uniform and will get sent home.

H Bomb
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
^ we're going to shit on the City, we're going to shit on the City tonight...oh oh ha

that'ss get 'er going :)

;)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=1558

Carter
05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
;)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=1558

I missed the part where they have the Cowbells? :rolleyes:

Roogsy
05-27-2009, 01:05 PM
+1. Standing doesn't make you a great supporter or give you some mystical authority over those that sit.

I had two giggling c**ts behind me a few weeks ago. Sure, they stood for the whole game, but were more interested in getting pissed and taking pictures of each other than the game.

Exactly.

Standing doesn't mean anything. It certainly isn't a gauge of whether you are a true "supporter". I am tired of that argument.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Exactly.

Standing doesn't mean anything. It certainly isn't a gauge of whether you are a true "supporter". I am tired of that argument.

Standing is great for people who like to do it...and nothing wrong in sitting either . If people come to every home match then they are supporters..if they can only make it to 2-3 games a season they are supporters...but if they come of behalf of a company perk they are not
supporters, they are not supporters just plain annoying.:scarf:

xBOOSHx
05-27-2009, 01:20 PM
[/list]
I agree with some of your points... but not this one. I get a pretty decent view of a lot of calls from my vantage. Right or wrong, I think its a good bet to give the ref some hell for a call/non-call against us. Its all in the spirit of the occasion and who knows... might pressure him to think twice about something next time (of course... these guys are professionals and shouldn't matter either way). This is completely different from booing an icing call IMO which as you said shows a lack of understanding for the principles of the game.

this is a quote from an interview i did with Carl Robinson

Fans can sometime change referees minds, and I've seen some refs buckle when home fans get right into them. You have to make your home stadium as intimidating as possible. This is key to being successful.

http://ultras-around-the-world.blogspot.com

Toronto Gunner
05-27-2009, 01:46 PM
^^^ QFT - have you ever seen a call go against United at Old Trafford? You're more likely to see the ref go in for a game winning header than you are to see them give a penalty against United at home.

C.Ronaldo
05-27-2009, 04:34 PM
"you have to make your home stadium as intimidating as possible"

I doubt sitting is going to accomplish this.

but research has been done that shows standers are cooler than sitters. (sarcasm)

but in all seriousness, i don't see how anyone can belt out anything from the seated position.

can you imagine a concert full of sitters? a concert with sitters is a symphony.

ExiledRed
05-27-2009, 05:35 PM
^^^ QFT - have you ever seen a call go against United at Old Trafford? You're more likely to see the ref go in for a game winning header than you are to see them give a penalty against United at home.

-vd2X52wKfQ

thanks for giving me the excuse to post this.

Mikey
05-27-2009, 09:32 PM
It's an MLSE conspiracy to form the supporters groups into unpaid cheerleading squads.... and WTF is an icing call?

Darlofletch
05-27-2009, 09:53 PM

But isn't Old Trafford famously home of the prawn sandwich brigade? I'd suggest the west stand is much more old traffordish than the standing up south end.

Kaz
05-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I got to go to my first game against Columbus, I stood, through the rain, the insect swarms and the sun. I didn't sing I didn't chant. I didn't jump either. I have two bad kness, jumping would have left me unable to walk to the street cars. I did stomp, scream, cheer, and clap with the chants. And limped for two days with a smile.

chanting, Jumping, and sing dosen't a supporter make. Supporting the team is hearts and minds not chants and songs.

TheRenter
05-28-2009, 12:04 AM
wow, what a/another ghey thread...quelle suprise!

prizby
05-28-2009, 12:44 AM
the one thing I know from what i have heard is that if its not a desigated standing section that you must sit because all it takes is for a lawsuit to go against BMO/TFC, so BMO/TFC would rather ask you to sit and be discomforted by that then face a lawsuit

Afra
05-28-2009, 06:00 AM
but in all seriousness, i don't see how anyone can belt out anything from the seated position.

I can yell louder standing. I figured that out first half last game when I was sitting.

Carter
05-28-2009, 06:05 AM
http://bythelbs.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/morecowbell3.jpg

Toronto_Bhoy
05-28-2009, 08:57 AM

BINGO!!!

Problem from day one…

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2009, 09:34 AM
BINGO!!!

Problem from day one…

so then what would a solution be? Reason I ask is that it just seems to me that every time this argument comes up, this "holier than thou" attitude that is apparently present comes from people who are in supporters' sections and actually do support for the full 90 and are frustrated at those who don't.

Inswingingwingman
05-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Wait until you are 60 and if you can stand for the game good for you.

I have to carry a cushion to put my osteoporotic, osteoarthritic, rhumatiod, hemmoroidic ass on while wearing orthodics and taking medication.

Plus the pill that makes you piss so your feet don't swell, and the fact that means you have to go to the loo and stand in line, all that equals being a supporter from my armchair hoping to get an HDTV feed while the wife brings me 12 healthy glasses of wine.....

Maybe I need a tricked up wheelchair like those cars in LA that bounce up and down and I can get a front row seat and a pair of depends.

And retirement was supposed to be all travel, sunshine, discounts on fish dinners, and free drugs.

olegunnar
05-28-2009, 10:05 AM
It's one thing to stand. It's another to do it proper.

Maybe it's because of who posted this...but I think it's a shame yet again there was no rational discussion about this point. Instead there's a whole bunch of name calling. cowbell, and heads in the sand.

Standing is to Support what Columbus is to road trips. The easy way out for wannabes.

Wannabes that get stupid drunk and yell and swear for no reason, try and start "Oh When the Reds" every 5 minutes and take pictures of themselves in supporters sections..

elvis
05-28-2009, 10:17 AM
So I have to stand and jump and wear a TFC jersey and fight the urge to throw a beer.

So many rules...who knew it would be easier to be a Catholic.

Fort York Redcoat
05-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Can I point out that people defending not standing are on this board (obvious) and care a hell of a lot about the game.

We fight over people that aren't here. The ones that sit and talk and don't really care where they are unless they're on the jumbo screen or getting free t-shirts.

I'll say to people who stand- those people are not here.
I'll say to those who sit- Most of us (the sane) know you support the team.

Chewy Unikronik
05-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Stop making elitist judgements about people. Whether they are sitters, have breasts or are under the age of 12. Everyone is there to support the team. You may have had your tickets since day 1. Considering this team is less than 3 years old, a lot of people where there on opening day too.
TESTIFY!!!!!!!

Blazer
05-28-2009, 10:42 AM
You are raising two or more (good) issues here Pookie:

1 – Knowing the chants or when to jump in unison isn’t a requirement to stand. I wouldn’t expect all who are standing but chanting off-keel to sit down the same way I don’t look at someone and ask him or her to stand just because they have a loud and booming voice. There is no “proper” way to stand and chant however I agree that there is an art that has eluded us collectively up to this point. But, maybe that’s what you meant …

2 – “Fuck” is rarely used in our arsenal of chants and when it is - it’s almost always spontaneous and funny to the specific moment or development on the pitch. It’s hardly an issue. If kids are in the house, parents need to be parents and explain to their children what it is that brings about enough anger and frustration in sport (and life really) to warrant such language from grown adults. Kids are especially resilient – a hell of a lot more than adults, and will surprise many doubters more often than not.

3 – I love breasts at games. :D Especially on women who love to have their breasts loved by loving men. So thank you for bringing your wife if she does fall into this category or otherwise. When it comes to taking offence to ridiculous statements made about your commitment to any team (speaking of the soccer mom comments that suggest you’re only here for “experience” and nothing else), you have to take it with a grain of salt and understand that anyone ignorant enough to say such a thing is more than likely insecure themselves. Nobody should be ever be so close to anything that they suddenly feel more entitled to just “because”. That would be a lonely and pathetic life. Be thankful you’re not the goof(s) saying it, and just laugh at the only thing in his/her life that gives them hope or purpose. Thank your lucky stars you ain’t one of them.

legia_tfc
05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow, I love being told how to be a "true supporter"

what about the people that just prefer to stand when watching a TFC game? if i don't have seats in the supporter section, i make my way over to the beer garden or other sections where i can stand and watch the game.

i've been to many a game in Europe... fact is, most of the time I stood at the game anyways.

Blazer
05-28-2009, 11:09 AM
^ Precisely. The beauty of footy is that it’s over in less than two hours unlike North American sports. Standing for a hockey, basketball, baseball, or nascar event is highly unrealistic but standing outdoors while watching a footy match just seems fitting and more engaging. I dunno?! Whether you’re chanting or not is to each his/her own but certainly shouldn’t be ridiculed one way or the other.

Parkdale
05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
people stand at nascar events, but they're usually inside the ring and just partying it up anyway. They aren't there for the race as much as the good times.

that was a tangent.

Azerban
05-28-2009, 11:19 AM
We fight over people that aren't here.

pretty much just this

boohoo people aren't doing things the way i think they should be at a soccer game

should i talk to them about it nope better post about it on the internet that'll work

Blazer
05-28-2009, 11:43 AM
http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/nascar%20fans.jpg

Parkdale
05-28-2009, 11:49 AM
http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/nascar%20fans.jpg

note: I said 'inside the ring' (aka infield)

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/preakness_infield.jpg

http://deadspin.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/08/nascarfans.jpg

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/117076.jpg

Inswingingwingman
05-28-2009, 12:31 PM
What if they take the seats outta the supporters section. They could move them to the new expansion and leave the south end with just a railing to lean on with beer cup holders.

Blazer
05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
^ Then where do I stand to elevate my two-fingered salute towards the official?! And where do I put my beer? And what will stabilize my fall after a drunken blunder in my step?

SmokedPanda
05-28-2009, 01:32 PM
What if they take the seats outta the supporters section. They could move them to the new expansion and leave the south end with just a railing to lean on with beer cup holders.

I like your idea! They do it at the ACC above the purple seats, so why not do it at BMO and create even more room for more supporters to stand, scream, shout, holla, bang on them drums, etc....... JUST MAKE SURE they don't band alchohol like in the standing room at the ACC

ecospice
05-28-2009, 01:39 PM
[/list]I agree with some of your points... but not this one. I get a pretty decent view of a lot of calls from my vantage. Right or wrong, I think its a good bet to give the ref some hell for a call/non-call against us. Its all in the spirit of the occasion and who knows... might pressure him to think twice about something next time (of course... these guys are professionals and shouldn't matter either way). This is completely different from booing an icing call IMO which as you said shows a lack of understanding for the principles of the game.

I agree with this. It is appropriate to get on the refs.

I should also point out I have to sit way up in s.224 for every game and it is only marginally louder than Leafs' games so sitters complaining about standers should be happy they are around passionate fans and not stuck way up in the nose-bleeds like some of us.

:scarf:

I hate the fact that it is an away game this weekend but look forward to June 6 and the crushing of the Galazy nuts like they were grapes.

:flare:

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2009, 02:29 PM

I like your idea! They do it at the ACC above the purple seats, so why not do it at BMO and create even more room for more supporters to stand, scream, shout, holla, bang on them drums, etc....... JUST MAKE SURE they don't band alchohol like in the standing room at the ACC

because it doesn't solve the problem of people who are in the supporters' section simply for the fact that they are the cheapest seats.

Pookie
05-28-2009, 03:08 PM
I think some people are focussing on the wrong points. I started this thread, as a stander myself, to offer a counterpoint to all the crap that "sitters" are taking here.

There are those that look down on sitters as if standing is the only way to support the team. This thread was meant to highlight to those people that some standers need to look in the mirror. Taking time to learn chants or in some cases, the game itself would benefit some of those people.

Taking time to lower the ego a little would help too. There is an undercurrent out there that is pitting "standers" vs perceived "casuals" when it isn't necessary. If a stander is forced to sit, they tend to blame security and/or the individual that needs to sit for the game as if that person were the root of all evil.

Everyone bought a ticket because they have an interest in TFC. It should be a hostile environment for the visiting side not for fellow fans that come dressed in red.

Arnie Knows
05-28-2009, 03:13 PM
People that Sit down at Games need to Stand up for their Rights ..

For Fuck sakes ..

brad
05-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Everyone bought a ticket because they have an interest in TFC. It should be a hostile environment for the visiting side not for fellow fans that come dressed in red.

This I disagree with. I see plenty of people in the stadium every match that don't give a shit about the team or the game.

Edit: I also know season ticket holders personally that fall into that category.

Arnie Knows
05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
This I disagree with. I see plenty of people in the stadium every match that don't give a shit about the team or the game.

actually its just a day out to watch some semi decent footy and get away from the nagging women and let loose a bit ..

BRed
05-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Standers and sitters? Are we really discussing this?

C.Ronaldo
05-28-2009, 06:28 PM
^ this is one of the most intellectual debates you'll ever read. Its deep stuff

just watched a boca Jrs game, and everyone was standing, even the mid field.

just in case some one wants to use the argument that "in man u they sit"