PDA

View Full Version : Come On You Reds - How Do You Like Them Now?

Keyman
06-01-2008, 03:54 PM
It's been a while since I wrote an article for my site, but I finally did one. School isn't leaving me any time to write!

This time I focused on three players that I feel have taken a lot of heat throughout their stays in Toronto, and now, they are making significant impacts on our climb up the standings. So, give it a read, and tell me what you think!

Defender Tyrone Marshall, midfielder Carl Robinson, and defender Marco Velez; they are three players that have all, at one point, taken heat from Toronto FC fans. However, as the season progresses, and Toronto FC continues to roll over their competition, fans have had little reason to question this trio’s performance.

http://comeonyouredstfc.blogspot.com/

13CP
06-01-2008, 04:11 PM
I agree. Although I had doubts with these players, no longer. Excellent article.

Ron Manager
06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Well written and I agree. Alot of credit has to go to Carver for designing tactics that work to their strengths and bring out the best in these, and other, players.

Keyman
06-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks!

On the Carver topic, I think it's been neat to watch them adjust to the offside trap that Carver has brought to the team. At first, especially in DC, they had trouble. Now, they are very comfortable. Carver seems to push Velez up higher with Marshall behind him, knowing that Marco can retreat if need be because of his pace. It makes it very hard for the opposition to get a scoring opportunity.

trane
06-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I was always a supporter of Robbo and Marshall, I had my doubts about Veles at the first, but I think that there was good reason. He has certainly turned it around.

Oldtimer
06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
As others have pointed out, Carver deserves a lot of the credit for the improved play. A good coach brings a disciplined approach to play, and as the blog points out, Marshall is playing fair but well and the offside trap is working well.

Footie-11
06-01-2008, 11:26 PM
I think Marshall and Robinson have always been strong players.
I did doubt Velez at first but man he sure as hell been playing well as of late.

Cashcleaner
06-01-2008, 11:56 PM
What if we never had any doubts towards them? Can I just sit here and grin with an aura of smug self-righteousness? :D

Keyman
06-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Yes you can!
I wrote this article, and based it on what I felt was the general feeling among Toronto FC fans towards these players. I remember multiple people calling for Marshall's exit, he was first on the list for many people when we talked about senior internationals that we could lvie without. I've seen numerous threads and comments from a lot of people calling out Robbo, even to this day. As for Velez, well, I don't have to tell you about how we handled his early play on here.
I've never really doubted Robbo or Marshall myself, at points Marshall annoyed me, but I always felt he was getting the short end of the stick from many fans. With Velez, I didn't jump on him completely, I knew he would need some time to adjust, but I wouldn't say I was as confident in his ability as I am now.