PDA

View Full Version : Pre-game: Toronto FC @ Houston Dynamo

Nuvinho
05-26-2009, 09:08 AM
DeRo returns back to Houston.......this will be interesting. Houston is on a hot streak, and hopefully we can end their run.

As for our lineup, we probably keep it the same.

Injuries (this was last week's):

HOUSTON DYNAMO
OUT: DF Eddie Robinson (L knee surgery); DF Wade Barrett (L gastrocnemius strain); DF Richard Mulrooney (facial fracture); PROBABLE: FW Brian Ching (R hamstring tightness)

TV/Video

This game will be shown live on Rogers Sportsnet (Ontario and Pacific regions only) in Canada, KHOU Channel 11.2 (English) and KHLM Channel 43 (Spanish) in Houston, MLS Direct Kick and MLS Match Center.
Radio/Audio

FAN 590 (http://www.fan590.com/ (http://www.fan590.com/)) in Toronto; KBME AM 790 (English) and KEYH AM 850 (Spanish) in Houston.

Yohan
05-26-2009, 09:47 AM
It'll be very interesting. Houston has trouble scoring goals, but Toronto sucks at defending away. Houston has good defence but Toronto score more away.

I think a draw is more likely

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
yeah this reeks of nil-nil

Lucky Strike
05-26-2009, 10:11 AM
yeah this reeks of nil-nil

Well maybe 1-1. Apparently, the grass is much better than earlier ths year and should result in more quality play.

Beach_Red
05-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Well maybe 1-1. Apparently, the grass is much better than earlier ths year and should result in more quality play.

If we're getting more consistent and DeRo and Guevara play like they can, we should win this game 2-0 or 3-1.

It was great to see them come back from that loss with a good performance.

Yohan
05-26-2009, 11:19 AM
If we're getting more consistent and DeRo and Guevara play like they can, we should win this game 2-0 or 3-1.

It was great to see them come back from that loss with a good performance.
although away form this year has been pretty good, but TFC defence stinks on the road and you can't expect midfielders to score 3 goals every game

TFC USA
05-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Houston 2 (Ching 14, 66 PK) TFC 1 (DeRo 55)

jloome
05-26-2009, 02:45 PM
This is a dangerous game for us. Houston's threat lies in team balance and being well-motivated, so it's the same kind of danger posed by Chicago.

Carts
05-26-2009, 02:54 PM
I want to see Dero unleash a monster strike that is an absolute screamer into the back of the net....

Then, after the match his post-game clip is "...if I hit the ball like that on field turf, it would have been 100-feet over the net, and probably broke some fans nose..."

Then MLSE and city will find a way to get real gra - ah I'm just dreaming now LOL!

Carts...

Hugh Jazz
05-26-2009, 03:01 PM
No one is more familiar with how good DeRo is then Houston and Guevara's good form will mean both these players will get most of the attention from Houston's defence. If we're going to get a good result this weekend I think it will require Barrett or Vitti to be a difference maker.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-26-2009, 03:07 PM
DeRo stole last years meeting in Houston for the Dynamo...now he can turn the tables and do it for TFC.

ensco
05-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Cummins has a big decision to make with the lineup here.

The game next Tuesday against the Whitecaps is WW III for us. Given that Vancouver won away at Montreal, by two goals, we have to have a positive result at Swangard. TFC fly 5 hours across the country Sunday, and play on 3 days rest Tuesday.

I think Dichio should sit for the first half against Houston (or more if we're playing well) so that he is available for 90 minutes against the Whitecaps. I'd also look for an early opportunity to get DeRo out on Saturday (I want to keep his hamstring rested).

The Houston game is a big opportunity for Vitti and Barrett to take leadership roles. Ricketts may also get meaningful minutes.

jloome
05-26-2009, 05:54 PM

The game next Tuesday against the Whitecaps is WW III for us. Given that Vancouver won away at Montreal, by two goals, we have to have a positive result at Swangard. TFC fly 5 hours across the country Sunday, and play on 3 days rest Tuesday.

I think Dichio should sit for the first half against Houston (or more if we're playing well) so that he is available for 90 minutes against the Whitecaps. I'd also look for an early opportunity to get DeRo out on Saturday (I want to keep his hamstring rested).

The Houston game is a big opportunity for Vitti and Barrett to take leadership roles. Ricketts may also get meaningful minutes.

That's a good idea. I have a tendency to think, though, that as important as the Vancouver game is, Houston will be a tougher test. I'd rather give Vitti his chance up top against the Whitecaps' backline than Houston's (although, they do have Jeff Parke there now, so maybe it's not that much of a difference.)

Then again, if we rest Dichio in the first game, we still have him as an option but only need to bring him in if we're losing. If we play him all the way in the first, we can ONLY play him for part of the second, you'd think.

Tough one, unless he feels up to playing two full games almost back-to-back.

Bloor West FC
05-26-2009, 06:28 PM
We better win, I'm not making the trip for nothing!!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-26-2009, 06:41 PM

lets hope Montreal make an effort tomorrow night and manage a draw at least. that would help TFC's efforts. start the same lineup that won against the Revs and go from there...if we are winning easily or getting whipped then make play changes to rest for Tuesday...but we will win in Houston 2-0

Yohan
05-26-2009, 06:51 PM
if the game at BMO is any indication, our midfield can rip apart Shitecaps defence.

I'd use Dichio for Houston, and rest him for Vancouver. Let Vitti, DeRo and Barrett have a go for Whitecaps

twistedchinaman
05-27-2009, 12:16 AM
(DeRo, Guevara, Serioux) TFC 3-2 HOU (Ching x2)

Stryker
05-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Two Toronto strikers are now questionable for the game.
Barrett's ankle is bothering him and Ibbe with concussion symptoms.

Pachuco
05-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Two Toronto strikers are now questionable for the game.
Barrett's ankle is bothering him and Ibbe with concussion symptoms.

Maybe my dream will come true. Barrett is out and gives Vitti a shot at striker.

ManUtd4ever
05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Assuming the refs do not call another questionable handball on Marvel Wynne, I predict a hard fought 2-1 victory for TFC.

dantdot
05-28-2009, 03:36 PM
We've never lost after a win this season. All of our 3 losses came after ties. So 3-1 TFC.

Also, we've won or tied 3/4 games on grass.

Carts
05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
We've never lost after a win this season. All of our 3 losses came after ties. So 3-1 TFC.

That's a good stat that I hadn't realized...

Carts...
Stay Thirsty My Friends...

DangerRed
05-28-2009, 04:00 PM
This is a huge game for us, especially if Chicago wins tonight and continues to pull away in the tables. For that reason alone I don't think Barrett should start.

Said it before -- guy is holding back the team and Vitti needs to get a shot at goal to put the ball away and build some confidence. I would use Dichio instead of resting him for the 'Caps. Barrett could be given free rein against Vancouver. Houston's more important.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

prizby
05-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Frei
Wynne-Attakora-Serioux-Brennan
Cronin-Robo-Guevara
Barrett-Dichio-DeRo

Bench:
Sutton
Velez
Harmse
Ricketts
Smith
Ibrahim
Vitti

T_Mizz
05-28-2009, 04:51 PM

THEN WTF CAN'T WE GET GRASS FOR OUR HOME STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!:mad5:

dantdot
05-28-2009, 05:02 PM
THEN WTF CAN'T WE GET GRASS FOR OUR HOME STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!:mad5:

That statistic isn't really fair. The Columbus game was just bad and we got lucky with an own goal. But we do seem to score more goals on grass. We've had 3 games with more than one goal on grass and only 1 on turf.

TFC USA
05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I just realized we've scored in every road game.

DOMIN8R
05-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Onto more important matters like our eminent win tonight.

I just came across this as I was putting in my game day wagers.

BetFair has the odds of this game at the following.

Houston at 1.95 (10 gets you 9.50 profit)
Toronto at 4.5 (10 gets you 37 profit)
Draw at 3.5 (10 gets you 25 profit)

More than a little surprising, me thinks.

dupont
05-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know a place to watch the game online? I'm going to someone's house tonight but their tv is broken at the moment but their internet is working and we still wanna catch the game (even a shitty live stream.. ANYTHING!)

rocker
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
www.channelsurfing.net (http://www.channelsurfing.net) has it in their sked for today.

the best choice is just to subscribe to MLS Matchcenter (you can afford the $20 for the season or $4.95 for 24 hours, I'm sure) and watch it in 800K on there... very good streams.

dupont
05-30-2009, 11:31 AM
www.channelsurfing.net (http://www.channelsurfing.net) has it in their sked for today.

the best choice is just to subscribe to MLS Matchcenter (you can afford the $20 for the season, I'm sure) and watch it in 800K on there... very good streams.

If I sign up for this service, is it tied to one computer or IP address or can I watch it anywhere by logging in or something?
Just asking since I won't be at home tonight so it would be pointless to sign up at my friend's house if it's tied to IP.

Also thanks for that channelsurfing link. One of these two options will surely come in handy tonight!

rocker
05-30-2009, 11:35 AM
If I sign up for this service, is it tied to one computer or IP address or can I watch it anywhere by logging in or something?
Just asking since I won't be at home tonight so it would be pointless to sign up at my friend's house if it's tied to IP.

Also thanks for that channelsurfing link. One of these two options will surely come in handy tonight!

MLS Matchcenter doesn't care which computer you view from (although if you switched countries there may be a prob!). They give you a username and password, which you can use on any computer, home/work/friends.

The advantage of MLS Matchcenter is you don't have to install any software. Sometimes on Channelsurfing or other P2P sites you have to install various kinds of software to watch, and sometimes the feeds are unreliable. MLS Matchcenter has reliable feeds and higher quality than the free P2P ones.

I prefer to pay the $20 for the full season and have it as my main online option. Sometimes MLS doesn't put "big" games on Matchcenter (like the ones shown on Telefutura or ESPN) but that's only a game a week (as long as it says "Matchcenter" on the right side of the MLSnet page then the game will be online, as is tonight's match). Matchcenter is also good for watching replays, as the games are archived for subscribers to view again.

ilikemusic
05-30-2009, 12:39 PM
DeRo will burn his old team for at least a pair.

Im completely looking past this game though. Its all about Tuesday.

boban
05-30-2009, 12:45 PM

the best choice is just to subscribe to MLS Matchcenter (you can afford the $20 for the season or $4.95 for 24 hours, I'm sure) and watch it in 800K on there... very good streams.
What a belittling comment.
Can we not refrain from insulting people?

GBV
05-30-2009, 04:49 PM
toronto is +456 tonight.

CDNSoccerFan
05-30-2009, 04:54 PM
small plays on the DRAW for all games tonight.

Cashcleaner
05-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Like Danger alluded to, this is a big game considering Chicago's position in the East. If we can pull out a win, it could create some space between us and DC and close the gap with the Fire. Obviously, Houston is gonna try their best for a home win, but I think we can edge them out if we're lucky.

Bloor West FC
05-30-2009, 07:04 PM
I am in Houston right now and damn is it ever hot!! Very humid. I think I have had every Spanish swear word held at me LOL I chilled with the orange helmet boys which are a great bunch! Anyways I have the biggest feeling this is going to be an awesome game!!

kodiakTFC
05-30-2009, 07:15 PM
any good place to watch this in sauga?

twistedchinaman
05-30-2009, 07:19 PM
I am in Houston right now and damn is it ever hot!! Very humid. I think I have had every Spanish swear word held at me LOL I chilled with the orange helmet boys which are a great bunch! Anyways I have the biggest feeling this is going to be an awesome game!!

Have you seen any other Reds supporters in town?

Pachuco
05-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Like Danger alluded to, this is a big game considering Chicago's position in the East. If we can pull out a win, it could create some space between us and DC and close the gap with the Fire. Obviously, Houston is gonna try their best for a home win, but I think we can edge them out if we're lucky.

D.C is winning 1-0 as we speak. They are also playing NE so I don't expect them to lose this game.

twistedchinaman
05-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Getting the 3 points would be fantastic -- these are games that are free points (since Houston is in the other conference); one would be wise to get them when they're for the picking.