PDA

View Full Version : who would be your 'Player of the Year' so far....?

Parkdale
05-26-2009, 09:07 AM
We've seen a good chunk of the season now...
so who is in the running for your 'Player of the Year' up to now?

my take:

DeRo - has clearly made a huge difference to the team,
and is also a local boy, so he gets a point for skill,
and an emotional point for coming back home.

Frei - a serious talent, and also a good on-field leader,
but I'm saving my vote for MLS Rookie of the year.
also, shhhhhhh....! We don't want scouts to steal him away

Guevara - is playing really smart footy these days.
Yes he can be hit-or-miss, but if he stays on game
like he has been for the last few... then he could win it.

Dichio - Some people said he was over the hill this year,
but clearly he's still the heart and soul of this team.
Does that mean he should be MOTY? Heart counts for something.

---- what's your take?

Nuvinho
05-26-2009, 09:10 AM
This is a tough one. I can't decide.

Maybe throw Serioux in the mix?

Boudge
05-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Definately Frei

mclaren
05-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Frei with Guevara a close second.

Nuvinho
05-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I have decided.....haha!!!! Guevara!!

Parkdale
05-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Maybe throw Serioux in the mix?

let's hear your justifications for him.

discussion is good

elvis
05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Guevara has been invisible at times. You're right, Frei has been spectacular but I'd save my vote for ROY too.

Right now, I'd vote DeRo. He can put the ball anywhere on the pitch and unlike Barrett, can actually finish. A player with great skill and class.

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
My vote goes to Guevara. He's getting talk as a front runner for league MVP, so team MVP should be a lock.

DeRo - not playing as well as he could be IMO
Frei - if not Guevara then Frei
Dichio - my personal MVP, but I don't think he'll be able to pull of the full season with these minutes

eustacchio
05-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Frei

that is all

Boudge
05-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Frei can't win POY and ROY????

Roogsy
05-26-2009, 09:16 AM
I like Sparky's 4 choices. So far, they are the biggest reasons we are in playoff contention and it's hard to choose between them. In various games, they have been the difference.

Nuvinho
05-26-2009, 09:19 AM
let's hear your justifications for him.

discussion is good

I personally don't think he is the best player for us so far, but others may (judging by the responses the past 2 months on this board). I don't get nervous as much when the ball is with our back four as much as last year........haha!!!

The reason being, we seem to be more comfortable at the back with him there. He has played with 3 CB partners now and has always been solid. I don't think he has a card yet, which isn't normal for a physical defender like himself. He has also chipped in with 2 goals.

elvis
05-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Frei can't win POY and ROY????

Sure but talk to me at the end of the season...if Frei can keep this up, then yah, I'd consider it.

WHITEY
05-26-2009, 09:20 AM
This is a tough one, but, based on the season thus far I would say Guevara with De Ro a very, very close second. I agree about Frei, would like to see him as the Rookie of the Year.

Parkdale
05-26-2009, 09:20 AM
agreed. Serioux has been a huge defensive improvement for us. The guy just has great sense of how the play is developing and where exactly he should be to shut it down.

dupont
05-26-2009, 09:21 AM
I will say DeRo.. but it's a tough decision. Those are all great choices. Sometimes I watch a game and DeRo just seems like the heart of the team already.

Nuvinho
05-26-2009, 09:22 AM
I want Pontius to win ROY........the reason, then he'll go to Europe and Frei stays with us ;)

Parkdale
05-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Sometimes I watch a game and DeRo just seems like the heart of the team already.

but more than Danny? There's always an emotional angle in the vote too.

The Kingpin
05-26-2009, 09:25 AM
1) Frei - Has been stellar when called upon.
2) Guevara - The diving is lame - but the skills are not
3) Dichio - When he plays - we win
4) Serioux - Has been a rock on the back line
5) Robinson - Doing what he does - leads
6) DeRo - Jekyll & Hyde - great goals and spectacular misses

trane
05-26-2009, 09:25 AM
I like Sparky's 4 choices. So far, they are the biggest reasons we are in playoff contention and it's hard to choose between them. In various games, they have been the difference.

I agree with this. The only reason I would give the edge to Frei is that he has played more then any one else, and has kept us in alot of games. Dichio for me is still the guy but does not play enough. (part of the problem in my eyes).

dupont
05-26-2009, 09:32 AM
but more than Danny? There's always an emotional angle in the vote too.

The thing was, I wasn't giving it to DeRo just for being the heart of the team.. Dichio is as well. I guess TFC is like a weird space mutant robot with muliple hearts! :D

Anyways, I just have loved watching DeRo play this season and on top of that he already seems like such a great leader for this team (just like Danny). Either way it's really hard to pick between the standout players this season.

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:37 AM
DeRo had embarresed the hell out of some guys this year with his footwork - youtube quality

Parkdale
05-26-2009, 09:39 AM
DeRo had embarresed the hell out of some guys this year with his footwork - youtube quality

but so has Vitti. Too bad he can't seem to score.

Fort York Redcoat
05-26-2009, 09:39 AM
1.Frei
2. Dichio, DeRo, Guevara.

I think Frei has changed results in games more than the others.
Dichio raised effort on the pitch when he stepped on.
DeRo, Guevara not as much in the the inspiring dept. but make up with goal scoring.

Nodoubtguy
05-26-2009, 09:46 AM
I gotta give it to Frei. I think we expect a certain level of play from the others on this list, but Frei has surpassed all expectations of him.

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:47 AM
agreed. Serioux has been a huge defensive improvement for us. The guy just has great sense of how the play is developing and where exactly he should be to shut it down.

what a battle between him a Joseph on the weekend - IMO that's where the game was won....it was a dreadlock massacre

Parkdale
05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
....it was a dreadlock massacre

my buddy and I were joking about the "trash talk" that must have happened.

Nice Dreads.
Nice ponytail.
Nice dreadlock ponytail.
thanks. I like the look.
me too.
oh shit... the ball!

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:52 AM
yeah me too. I think it may have added to the intensity, wanting to win DOM (dread of the match)

Lucky Strike
05-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Nice Dreads.
Nice ponytail.
Nice dreadlock ponytail.
thanks. I like the look.
me too.
oh shit... the ball!

I taunted him at one point by yelling: "Don't get your dreads in a twist" when he complained to the referee.

Parkdale
05-26-2009, 10:03 AM
right now the old 10cc song 'dreadlock holiday' is in my head.

what a great song.

Technorgasm
05-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Maurice EDU.

he lifted THIS:

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/1d/97/0,,10289%7E3577629,00.jpg

Technorgasm
05-26-2009, 10:05 AM
PS

the fact that SERIOUX is not listed here is shocking.

winning games for us on both ends of the pitch.

my vote is (silently, apparently) with him.

PPS.

Gollum and his precious.

Lucky Strike
05-26-2009, 10:08 AM

my take:

---- what's your take?

Good options and a very difficult choice to make.

- If Guevara were more consistent, I'd have to give it to him no question.

- Probably not Dichio despite him being my favourite player and a true legend. TFC does play much, much better with him in the line-up though.

- Frei, to me seems less spectacular but that's not necessarily a good indicator. It could be pure coincidence, the defence may be better so he doesn't have to stand on his head for saves, or maybe I'm just used to seeing him play, I've become spoiled (it's happened with my team in hockey as I watch Crosby, Malkin and Fleury on a regular basis - then when I see other players play I start asking: why didn't he send a tape-to-tape saucer pass across the seam for a one-timer into the net?).

- You can see DeRo is a class player. He's got 4 goals and an assist plus another assist in the CC. That means he's on pace for 11 goals and 5 assists this year in all competitions (figures rounded). He's clearly stepped up his game from his last year in Houston where he bagged 7 goals and 2 assists. People said he was on the decline.

I honestly can't make up my mind. But that's a good problem to have!

EastYork
05-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Serioux hands down. He is the most important player to our team. Take him out of the lineup and we would loose the most points.

Calvin
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
SERIOUX
if you dont see how big a player he is, you are not watching the games.

Boudge
05-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Frei has saved us (no pun intended) from so many losses numerous times.

He is definately the best player on our team, so clutch, making the big saves when absolutely needed!

Parkdale
05-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Take him out of the lineup and we would loose the most points.

Yes defense wins games (and offense sells tickets), but if Vitti and Barrett were scoring more, then we could get away with having a weaker D.

I really like Serioux, but I just don't think he'd be the best POTY (again, that's just my opinion)

Brooker
05-26-2009, 10:24 AM
if we took Frei out of the lineup I think we would have lost a shitload more points than if we we're missing anybody else.

DeRo & Serioux a close second.

Maurice EDU.

he lifted THIS:

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/1d/97/0,,10289%7E3577629,00.jpg

yeah he earned that one just as much as Stephane Fiset earned the Stanley Cup in '95/'96

olegunnar
05-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Barrett
He sucks but...he scored the winning goal against Montreal

So on the trophy there should be fine print engraved.

"You suck and aren't even close to being one of the top players on the team, but the supporters can't over look the fact that it was you that scored the goal that beat Montreal."

I guess it's going to have to be a big trophy to fit all that fine print on it.

Cas87
05-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Just wait until Pablo nets his first, the scoring touch will be like flood gates opening then everyone will change their tune.

But for now, I'd say Frei. He is a raw rookie and is standing on his head to get TFC to where they are now

daner90
05-26-2009, 10:47 AM
before the CCL started I would of given the slight edge Frei...

after seeing how much Dero has turned it up over that time and it making a huge impact on this team, I will say Dero now...not saying Frei has done anything wrong, but Dero has been outstanding

Stryker
05-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Serioux. The unsung soldier.

Jamaicanadian
05-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Tough choice!

I gotta go with Danny D for the MVP at theis point in the season.

He may not be the best player on the team but he certainly is the most valuable in my book as he seems to make everyone around him better with his play on and off the ball.

DeRo, Amado, Frei and Serioux all run a close second.

Another thing is Cronin is rookie of the year material....if we didn't have Frei...The guy is quietly adjusting to the MLS level nicely and undersatedly.

trane
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
^ I agree on Cronin.

NateDoGG
05-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Serioux

T-Bird
05-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Everyone knows I'm in love with Serioux..so obviously

The_Brace
05-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I would go with Frei. The guy is impressive coming from a rookie class that wasn't expected to produce much!

bhoybobby
05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Dichio, he's our key to the ignition. Without him we've got nothing in the final 3rd. He's our m.v.p. by a long shot

Darlofletch
05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Serioux for me as well. He's been consistently immense for us at the back and chipped in with a couple of goals as well. Hopefully he stays fit, last few games he's looked as if he's not moving as freely as before, as if he's fighting against some kind of muscle strain/groin pull.

After that, Frei, then probably Guevara.

BakaGaijin
05-26-2009, 12:06 PM
1) Frei - Has been stellar when called upon.
2) Guevara - The diving is lame - but the skills are not
3) Dichio - When he plays - we win
4) Serioux - Has been a rock on the back line
5) Robinson - Doing what he does - leads
6) DeRo - Jekyll & Hyde - great goals and spectacular misses

Leads..........in turnovers.

He is the most overated player IMO.

Stryker
05-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Sadly, I have to agree here. Robinson's passes have been pretty piss poor of late.

Dozitwin
05-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Nice Dreads.
Nice ponytail.
Nice dreadlock ponytail.
thanks. I like the look.
me too.
oh shit... the ball!

:smilielol5::rofl::smilielol5:

trane
05-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Harmse.

Keyman
05-26-2009, 12:23 PM
This team, and its players, have been plagued by inconsistency. And the only player who I would deem as a consistent performer and contributor is Dichio. Having said that, I don't think he deserves the MVP award so far. In fact, I don't think anyone does. Dichio has been extremely valuable when he's played, but he so seldom does that he isn't deserving of an MVP award. Not one player, in my mind, stands out as our most valuable player. It's been a team effort, when one player struggles another steps up.

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Most Valuable Player is a realtive term - someone has to deserve it based on relative value to your team.

C'mon pick a player.....

Keyman
05-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Most Valuable Player is a realtive term - someone has to deserve it based on relative value to your team.

C'mon pick a player.....

Well Dichio is our most valuable player, but his value is rarely utilized. So does his contribution (only 4 starts, I believe) constitute him being awarded the MVP thus far? No. Not in my opinion. Because he hasn't made a sufficient contribution.

Pachuco
05-26-2009, 12:56 PM
what a battle between him a Joseph on the weekend - IMO that's where the game was won....it was a dreadlock massacre

Unbelievable battle. One of the best games I've watched at BMO and it was because this battle between the two was so intense. Really showed me that Serioux will not back down, even from his older brother :D

CoachGT
05-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Too early to say for me. I'd prefer to wait until at least half the season is gone before venturing a guess. But the candidates listed are all solid at this point.

King Tut
05-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Stefan Frei

Pachuco
05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Rohan Ricketts!

spezz44
05-26-2009, 04:12 PM
personally my order is as follows,

Dero
Guevara
Serioux
Frei
Cronin

dantdot
05-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Frei. Think of how many points we would have lost without him. Dero and Guevara in a close second.

angelo_rotondo
05-26-2009, 04:44 PM
this is a hard on to chose

i think that dero frei and dichio have had a good season so far!!

kodiakTFC
05-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Serioux has to be on there, at the very least he's the best surprise of the year.

S_D
05-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Serioux.

The battle with Joseph
Constantly gooning Blanco

DD a close second.

Pinkie
05-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Serioux fo sho'

i love watching him play

saturday was the battle of the dreads..and there can only be ONE dreads...It was awesome to watch.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Frei
Guevara...close second
Wynne
Serioux
Robbo
deRo

James17930
05-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Frei has not been remarkable AT ALL. Not that he's really had to be, but still, the point stands: most of his work has been one for him by a vastly improved defence. I think all those 1 - 0 victories prove that point.

But I really don't know whom to choose between De Ro, Dichio and Guevara.

Super
05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Guevara stands out for me, but we still have many games to go, and I hope that we'll see some spectacular performances on the team that will highlight other players as well in the play-offs :P

AL-MO
05-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Guevara for me. DERO a close 2nd.

McGill
05-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Nice Dreads.
Nice ponytail.
Nice dreadlock ponytail.
thanks. I like the look.
me too.
oh shit... the ball!
EPIC LOL (I was thinking along thos elines while watching on TV with Joseph and Serioux next to one another)!

scooter
05-27-2009, 03:37 PM
right now the old 10cc song 'dreadlock holiday' is in my head.

what a great song.

great band

scooter
05-27-2009, 03:40 PM
depends on frame of reference

dichio---probably last year playing---scored our first goal---set up all 3 goals against ne ---should be rpb poy

thats the sentimental pick

logical pick

frei--------like a rock in the net but he might get roy

lets talk again in a couple of months

TFCinVANCOUVER
05-27-2009, 04:07 PM
for me it would have to be NAUGHTY LOCKS,LION KING,BIG MON (Serioux)

jabbronies
05-27-2009, 04:11 PM
CARL ROBINSON EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!

My second pick, I would say Dichio - not only does he bring another element to the game, he brings passion and determination and it clearly rubs off on the other players around him. Anyone who can inspire people like that should be POTY.

And honestly people, when Dichio scores, do you not go crazy just that extra bit??

Up The TFC
05-27-2009, 07:03 PM
DeRo's awesome, a special player, and he has to be number 1.

Frei's been an incredible surprise, and a close second for me.

HOWEVER

And I say this with a straight face, Chad Barrett is number 3.

Dirk Diggler
05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
This is really hard indeed. Its hard because no one has been head and shoulders above the rest of the team ... which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. However, I would rank the top 5 as such:

Guevera
Dichio
DeRo
Cronin
Frei

To be honest, I think I'm more pleased by Cronin and Frei than others because I did not expect them to contribute right away. However, not only are they contributing, they are flourishing. In Cronin I see the type of midfielder that Carl Robinson can never be. With experience, I foresee him developing into the type of defensive midfielder that can create offense through brilliant distribution.

lips
05-30-2009, 07:08 AM
So far its Frei

Nodoubtguy
06-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Frei.....the kid has been amazing, way beyond what anyone could have asked for from him

bhoybobby
06-14-2009, 05:42 PM

my take:

---- what's your take?

Dichio: He makes the team click, he's our agent of change on the park, without him we'd be fecked. No one else comes close.

Those that say he's over the hill are either ignorant in the true sense of the word, or blind.:scarf:

Yeoman
06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I've always thought that Guevera is having the best season I've seen out of him so far.
Frei is up there as well. I'm sure that he'll be bribe to Europe one day and it'll be a sad day when that happens.

NateDoGG
06-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Serioux

Super
06-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Guevara. No competition IMHO.

DOMIN8R
06-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Agent Zero, Big Frei or Double D. All tied for TFC PoY, so far.

jimiv
06-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Dichio: He makes the team click, he's our agent of change on the park, without him we'd be fecked. No one else comes close.

Those that say he's over the hill are either ignorant in the true sense of the word, or blind.:scarf:

agree.

FluSH
06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
It's tough...

Amado or Dichio

Whoop
06-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Most valuable player...

Amado, followed by Dichio.

GhostPK
06-15-2009, 03:46 AM
The choice is obvious...

Velez.

Oh wait... wrong award.

King Tut
06-15-2009, 04:10 AM
Frei.

felipe
06-15-2009, 06:16 AM
We can't downplay Guevera's importance anymore...when he goes, we go.

deRo close second

Shep
06-15-2009, 06:26 AM
DeRo for me. If he wasn't so heavily covered he'd shine more, but even with the attention he gets from the opposition he still owns.

CoachGT
06-15-2009, 08:14 AM
At the halfway point, only two possibles for me - Guevara or Dichio.

Guevara's skill and his control in the games he's played are what sets him apart from anyone else (PKs excepted). If he's going, we go. If he's not there, either physically or mentally, we look like bottom feeders.

Dichio is the heart and soul of this team, on or off the pitch. Puts passion into everything he does.

VPjr
06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Serioux is player of the year, followed by Frei...hands down

Parkdale
08-26-2009, 10:46 AM
bumpers.

can I change my vote? ;)

Roogsy
08-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Frei and Guevara have been invisible since the halfway mark.

I am glad this voting did not occur in June.

Frei has not been consistent nor spectacular since then. I don't see the reason for the love-in for him. He is solid. Thanks...I am expecting that.

DeRo for me.

I would love for Dichio to win this but Cummins hasn't given him a chance to shine. You can't score goals from the bench.

rocker
08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
De Ro is probably the best for me. The stats prove it.

one caveat on De Ro.. while he has produced, he also tries to dominate games, which doesn't involve his teammates... thats OK if he produces, but probably not a good thing if he doesn't. and he takes so many shots from too far out that go yards over the goal. So he hasn't been perfect.. and he can be frustrating at times (like when he constantly dribbles the ball out in traffic on the sidelines, or does not pass quickly enough -- like that time he had vitti on the wing and waited and waited and waited, when he coulda done the quick pass and move).

but probably the player of the year.

TFCtoMUFC
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Stefan Frei, hands down. No questions asked.

Pookie
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Serioux
Attakora
De Rosario

... in that order

AL-MO
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Marco Velez.

:lol:

Seriously? DERO

I_AM_CANADIAN