PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , May.26

denime
05-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Mornin'

Guevara's two-goal day worthy of league award
Daniel Girard
Amado Guevara's two-goal performance Saturday did more than get Toronto FC a much-needed three points in the tight Eastern Conference standings of Major League Soccer.
It also earned him the league's player of the week honours – a first for a TFC player.
Guevara, a 33-year-old Honduran who came to Toronto from Chivas USA early last season, had his second two-goal game of the season as TFC beat the New England Revolution 3-1.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/640331)

TFC first: Guevara named POTW
THE CANADIAN PRESS
NEW YORK -- Midfielder Amado Guevara has won MLS Player of the Week honours, the first time the award has gone to a Toronto FC player in the club's three-year history.
The Honduran captain scored two goals in a 3-1 victory over the visiting New England Revolution on Saturday.
It's the fifth such award for Guevara and the first since the 2006 season when he was a member of the New York Red Bulls.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/05/25/guevara_player_of_the_week/)

Filling the net remains on Barrett's to-do list
LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca)
With just two goals on 28 shots in 11 games, striker Chad Barrett doesn't yet deserve a flashy CB4 nickname such as high-scoring hoopster Chris Bosh.
But that's not to say CB19 of Toronto FC is glum about how his first full season here has unspooled so far.
"Yes, we could score more at home, yes, I could have finished more of the chances I've had," Barrett said yesterday at BMO Field. "If I'm out there on the wing and don't get any shots, but we score three (as in Saturday's home win against New England), then I probably played a role in one or two of those. If I'm clearing space for someone else, that's important, too.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/05/26/9569576-sun.html)

Guevara named player of the week
MLS Player of the Week award is the fifth for Guevara
NEW YORK (May 25, 2009) - Toronto FC midfielder Amado Guevara was voted Major League Soccer's Player of the Week for Week 10 of the 2009 season. Guevara scored two goals to help Toronto FC down the New England Revolution 3-1 at BMO Field on Saturday, May 23.

Read More (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090525&content_id=4942212&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Canada crushed
Stephen Brunt
Let us be kind and call it a work in progress. Let us understand that Rome – or AS Roma – wasn’t built in a day.
Canada’s national women’s soccer team is in the early stages of an extreme stylistic makeover right now, a trip from the sport’s aesthetic alpha nearly to its omega.
For a long time they have been very good, but never quite cracked the world’s elite. Now, Canada is following the larger path of the women’s game, which increasingly has become a showplace for fine skills and intricate passing rather than whacking it long and hoping for the best.

Read More (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/canada-crushed/article1152741/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Carter
05-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Mornin D!!!

scooter
05-26-2009, 07:01 AM
mornin d

Oldtimer
05-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Brutal result for the Woman's team. However, they were playing the #1 team in the world. Hopefully we'll see progress ahead.

Did anyone go to the game? How was the crowds/atmosphere?

Fort York Redcoat
05-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Conspiracy fail- The CSA wait till it's too late to fire Dale Mitchell, replace him with someone they didn't think was good enough last time and make sure Canada doesn't play a single game in the country in a year of unprecedented attention to their sport.

Then they make a splash of hiring a famous foreign female coach for the ladies and host a game where the Men's team enjoyed their most recent success in terms of event.

The CSA finally save face, right?

oops.

CoachGT
05-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Brutal result for the Woman's team. However, they were playing the #1 team in the world. Hopefully we'll see progress ahead.

Did anyone go to the game? How was the crowds/atmosphere?

Highlight of the night was 112 singing Bohemian Rhapsody in the last five minutes. One of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Very little flow to the game - it wasn't readily apparent what Canada was trying to do, but the US just kept tighening things up and taking shots whenever they got the chance, even if it wasn't high percentage.

This was a true soccer mom crowd, more like a hockey game than anything else. Lots of teams from local soccer clubs. Few chants, couldn't tell you crowd size but there were many people disguised as empty seats.

Doing the "Can you hear the Yankees sing" and closing out with "I can't hear a fudgee thing" raised a few eyebrows, too.

Fort York Redcoat
05-26-2009, 07:57 AM
"They're red! They're White! They're fudgie dynamite, CANADA, CANADA!!!"
:canada:

:lol:Too much.

Parkdale
05-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Is anyone else puzzled about seing Guevara get the MLS POTW award,
and yet the 'Carlsberg Man of the Match' trophy went to DeRo?

makes me think the carlsberg trophy isn't really evaluating all the factors.
Yes DeRo was good, but Guevara was absolutely amazing in the last game.

Razcle
05-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Well with this new league starting up that employs likely 50-70% american ladies, why wouldn't the American team be sharper in their play and walk all over us. Unless our entire team comprised of starting ladies in this WPS, it is no wonder we got smacked around, especially when employing new tactics from a new coach.

Oldtimer
05-26-2009, 08:11 AM

Different voters. The POTW is voted on by sports journalists from across North America.

Ageroo
05-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Highlight of the night was 112 singing Bohemian Rhapsody in the last five minutes. One of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Very little flow to the game - it wasn't readily apparent what Canada was trying to do, but the US just kept tighening things up and taking shots whenever they got the chance, even if it wasn't high percentage.

This was a true soccer mom crowd, more like a hockey game than anything else. Lots of teams from local soccer clubs. Few chants, couldn't tell you crowd size but there were many people disguised as empty seats.

Doing the "Can you hear the Yankees sing" and closing out with "I can't hear a fudgee thing" raised a few eyebrows, too.

Was a fun atmosphere in 112 for sure......another highlight was the three guys that walked from 112 over to 113 and the began the massive.....fun times! :)

Posted some pics in the Canada vs. USA thread in the canadian soccer forum for those interested.

keem-o-sabi
05-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Well with this new league starting up that employs likely 50-70% american ladies, why wouldn't the American team be sharper in their play and walk all over us. Unless our entire team comprised of starting ladies in this WPS, it is no wonder we got smacked around, especially when employing new tactics from a new coach.

I thought they were pretty sharp, the only thing that let them down was in the final third. That would come from playing together more, not necessarily playing in the league, no? They did a lot of nice one touch play, keeping possession, playing some penetrating balls into the strikers. It looked like after a while, the US was just trying to get Wambach her 100th goal. We (the US) changed our style from before the olympics with this new coach, thank goodness! With our last couple coaches, we just lumped it up to Wambach and let her plow over everyone, now the us plays with her back to goal a lot and looks to combine with the midfield.

As for Canada, I really had no idea what they were trying to do. I think their plan was to let #8 try and create stuff and #21 try to beat the entire team. #21 held onto the ball way too much, she got out of trouble 1 or 2 times, but other than that she gave the ball up everytime (she looked like Vitti at midfield for us at points, get off the bloody ball!).

jabbronies
05-26-2009, 08:24 AM
CP article says its the first TFC player to win the POTW award.

Now I know Dichio won POTM back on April 07 - didn't he win a POTW award with that??

Carts
05-26-2009, 08:27 AM

As soon as he received man of the match I said to the boys beside me "...are we trying to kiss Dero's ass? He must really hate the turf..."

Sure he had the game-winning-strike, but Guevara scoring two goals / a working the midfield all game, sending in quality balls from corners and free-kicks, one that ended up in the net thanks to a distracting striker :) its tough to regonize him as MOTM...

No biggie though I guess...

Carts...
Stay Thirsty My Friends...

Oldtimer
05-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Ives' power rankings now have TFC at 5th:

Another intra-conference clash sure to be worth watching is Houston-TFC, two teams that posted impressive victories this weekend. Amado Guevara is playing amazingly, having earned MLS Player of the Week honors for his two-goal effort. Houston battered San Jose early and often to post another victory.

5 (7). Toronto FC (4-3-4)
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/images/2008/04/07/2008_026.jpg (http://www.soccerbyives.net/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/07/2008_026.jpg)
Last Week: Beat New England Revolution, 3-1, last Saturday.
This Week: at Houston Dynamo on Saturday (8:30pm, Direct Kick).
Outlook: Amado Guevara is, dare I say, looking like a serious MVP candidate these days. The recent form of Guevara and DeRosario almost makes up for the terrible finishing of Toronto's forwards. Almost.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/05/sbi-mls-power-rankings-week-10.html#more

Dozitwin
05-26-2009, 08:39 AM

I've questioned a few of the MOTM choices. At times they seem completely random. I get the impression that it is more of a 'spread the love' kind of trophy...

Flashman
05-26-2009, 08:43 AM

I thought DD should have been MotM, and he is not even a possible pick. I have noticed this with the Carlsberg MotM choices in the past, usually someone like Robbo left off of the list. I don't know who picks this list.

TOBOR !
05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
'fudgie' - too funny.... maybe next time the ladies play you could bust out some chants set to Hannah Montana tunes, or use terms like 'OMG' and 'BFF'...

TOBOR !
05-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Is anyone else puzzled about seing Guevara get the MLS POTW award...makes me think the carlsberg trophy isn't really evaluating all the factors.

Well, duh.

In the loss to Chicago they gave it to Cronin, arguably one of the worst players on the pitch that day.

It's an advertising construct to be distributed evenly throughout the team as the year progresses. Everyone wins, no hurt feelings.

Fort York Redcoat
05-26-2009, 08:56 AM
'fudgie' - too funny.... maybe next time the ladies play you could bust out some chants set to Hannah Montana tunes, or use terms like 'OMG' and 'BFF'...

There will be no "fudgie" in Columbus v El Salvador.

keem-o-sabi
05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Today's Coed Girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/) :) :)

Stouffville_RPB
05-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Today's Coed Girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/) :) :)

I was a little worried when it wasn't in your first post.

Worth the wait. :drool5:

dal524
05-26-2009, 11:33 AM
i watched the majority of the can/us game last night and one thing i noticed was canadas goalie is pretty terrible. the second goal was perfectly placed but on the first she was out of position. overall seemed as though she was out of position alot. they were also trying a bit too much dump and chase and passing to each other with their backs to the opposing goal. pretty dissapointing outing. BMO looked about 50-60% full from what i was able to catch on the camera shots.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
i watched the majority of the can/us game last night and one thing i noticed was canadas goalie is pretty terrible. the second goal was perfectly placed but on the first she was out of position. overall seemed as though she was out of position alot. they were also trying a bit too much dump and chase and passing to each other with their backs to the opposing goal. pretty dissapointing outing. BMO looked about 50-60% full from what i was able to catch on the camera shots.

I wasn't overly impressed with Karina LeBlanc, either. She had no chance on the second US goal, but she did look out of position at times. Because of her lack of size, LeBlanc needs to find a way to cut down on those shots into the corners of the goal. LeBlanc simply doesn't have the reach to fully cover a regulation net.

mr k
05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
TFC match #12 on the weekend tube

1. Hockey, Red Wings at Blackhawks, Friday, CBC: 1,111,000
2. Hockey, Penguins at Hurricanes, Saturday, CBC: 1,056,000
3. Hockey, Red Wings at Blackhawks, Sunday, CBC: 591,000*
4. Auto racing, Indianapolis 500, Sunday, TSN: 252,000*
5. Hockey, Memorial Cup final, Sunday, Sportsnet: 234,000
6. Auto racing, NASCAR Coke 600, Sunday, TSN: 180,000*
7. Baseball, Blue Jays at Braves, Saturday, Sportsnet: 168,000*
8. Auto racing, F1 Monaco Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 158,000
9. Hockey, Memorial Cup: Windsor vs. Drummondville, Sportsnet: 150,000
10. Basketball, Lakers at Nuggets, Saturday, TSN: 125,000
11. Basketball, Magic at Cavaliers, Friday, TSN: 122,000
12. Soccer, New England at Toronto, Saturday, CBC: 76,000
* Canadian viewers on U.S. channel not calculated

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2009/05/here-are-the-weekend-ratings-according-to-bbm-nielsen-media-research-overnight-calculations--1-hockey-red-wings-at-blackha.html

DOMIN8R
05-26-2009, 02:28 PM
^^^ Good Information. Thank you.

C.Ronaldo
05-26-2009, 03:52 PM
76k? that pretty good for a sunny saturday.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-26-2009, 06:15 PM

exactly....Dero was picked from where hes from...Guevara deserved the Man of the match against NE and player of the week in MLS as well.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-26-2009, 06:17 PM
76k? that pretty good for a sunny saturday.

still pretty sad it was behind nascar and indy:( canada must have a lot more hillbillies and rednecks then football fans?

boban
05-26-2009, 09:55 PM
still pretty sad it was behind nascar and indy:( canada must have a lot more hillbillies and rednecks then football fans?
Oh the irony